PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

Tycho
08-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Season 2 is coming up on us fast.

We need a thread for this great show!

sith_killer_99
08-15-2011, 01:06 AM
I agree. This show was much better than I had expected and I am looking forward to the new season!

Tycho
08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes.

I am NOT a fan of horror.

I am NOT specifically a fan of zombies, and normally vampires and werewolves would interest me more.

However: Walking Dead rocks and has me completely hooked. I will probably not go looking for any other Zombie genre material, but Rick's adventures in the post-zombie appocalypse world can definitely count me as a fan.

The CDC finale episode has me totally hopeful that this show will eventually have a great and plausible sci-fi cause-cure-conclusion to the zombie disease and the characters will learn all the details about it.

JEDIpartner
08-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm concerned about the upcoming season because the first one WAS so good. Frank Darabont has parted ways with the show for a number of reasons (mostly 'cos the network wanted to take the show into another direction). So... I'm giving it 3 episodes to prove to me that there's no slip in quality 'cos this, to me, was almost as good as Battlestar Galactica. I have heard that there will be fewer zombies seen and there will just be more that are merely heard or suggested.

Slicker
08-16-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm hoping that I get to see season 2. This was the first show that I would set aside time to watch in a long time.

Tycho
08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
JP - the Zombies being shown are part of the excitement to each story.

I don't think they should reduce their numbers.

However, if the characters are written smart, they will move to more isolated areas so their loved ones are safer. However, Rick and the other fighters can make incursions into Zombie-land for the stories' needs.

Additionally, the fewer zombies they do show, could be really grotesque with their face falling open (jaw coming unhinged, etc.).

The show could take a story arc into a CSI style medical research / discovery storyline. That would be very logical.

The show must also end when they use up all the good storylines that are available to them in zombieland.

OC47150
08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm anxiously waiting the return.

pegger
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Definitely one of the best shows in a long time. can't wait till season two.

2-1B
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Norman Reedus was at Wizard World Chicago a couple weeks ago and he said they're in the middle of shooting season 2 and that it is fantastic, so far...hopefully the final product turns out well!

pegger
08-26-2011, 09:11 AM
AMC has trailers on it's site for the coming season...

bigbarada
10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, since I still don't have cable, I'm forced to download the episodes off of iTunes, so I just watched the season 2 premiere yesterday.

Usually, I'm that guy who likes to read the books and get the basic story down, including how everything ends, before I even watch movies or shows like this. However, I'm making a concerted effort to stay as "spoiler-free" as possible for this show. I don't know what's going to happen next and I don't want to know. So, as you might guess, the ending of this week's show caught me completely off guard.

I'm assuming that this turn of events was in the comic book, but it's still a pretty gutsy thing to put on television.

My only minor gripe is a tiny one. I understand that mediums like TV and comics prefer to have strong visual representations of spiritual or religious beliefs; but I don't know that any Southern Baptist Church would ever have a statue of Jesus Christ on the cross right in the center of their sanctuary (I was raised Southern Baptist, but am currently in a Presbyterian Church). They might have a cross, but it will always be empty; because praying to a carved image of Jesus/GOD is still considered idolatry. I'm assuming it was a concession made for storytelling purposes and it's good to see a show that takes a respectful approach to religion for a change; so it's something that I can overlook.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Someone mentioned to me that there's a clip of a parody, called "The Walken Dead," but I shan't post a link to it, due to its language. But if you search for it, it'll give you... a recipe... for more cowbell. Wow.

Tycho
10-21-2011, 09:03 PM
What was gutsy to put on TV, BigBarada? I'm quite desensitised and as a writer, I'm always trying to come up with something that challenges levels of appropriateness all the time. I've just come up with a necropheliac being caught in the act and executed by a bullet in the head on top of the body he was "into." But this is in a western Civil War format (my work).

Usually, I'm that guy who likes to read the books and get the basic story down, including how everything ends, before I even watch movies or shows like this. However, I'm making a concerted effort to stay as "spoiler-free" as possible for this show. I don't know what's going to happen next and I don't want to know. So, as you might guess, the ending of this week's show caught me completely off guard.

I'm in the same position that you are. I've actually not been really into horror - this sort of thing. But WD is not traditional horror. It's a survival story about the families. That makes it very different. (Now Falling Skies and Tera Nova are very smiliar in that regard - but with aliens or dinosaurs respectively - yet Walking Dead does it better.)

I'm assuming that this turn of events was in the comic book, but it's still a pretty gutsy thing to put on television.

Just like you, I wouldn't know. I would like them to come up with a cause for the Zombie Appacolypse - as well as a cure, or information such as "will all those turned" eventually decay and rot apart so there are less and less zombies and humanity can be restarted? Also, what's the rest of the world like? I assume that either it's everywhere, or North and South America are affected and Europe, Africa and Asia are still safe?

My only minor gripe is a tiny one. I understand that mediums like TV and comics prefer to have strong visual representations of spiritual or religious beliefs; but I don't know that any Southern Baptist Church would ever have a statue of Jesus Christ on the cross right in the center of their sanctuary (I was raised Southern Baptist, but am currently in a Presbyterian Church). They might have a cross, but it will always be empty; because praying to a carved image of Jesus/GOD is still considered idolatry. I'm assuming it was a concession made for storytelling purposes and it's good to see a show that takes a respectful approach to religion for a change; so it's something that I can overlook.

Eh, religion is hypocrisy to me. Jews didn't accept Christ for the most part (aside from Christ's first followers) because worshipping a man - or saying that he's God walking on earth - is idolotry. Jews are too tactful to say that Christians are all going to hell for idolotry if you were to extend all of it to what it actually is - worshipping anything other than an image-less Creator God. That being said, Christians believe Jesus is the messiah, yet Jews who do not, still wait for one. For what? So the Jews can worship a messiah, too? That's idolotry too. So it looks like everyone's going to hell anyway. Statue or not.

Interestingly enough, I intentionally write hypocritical Christians who as Southerners in the Civil War era, should definitely be Baptists, as having a huge cross in their church. I needed the imagery of my modern-day characters, upon who after having sex in the church in which they are trapped during a hurricane, are subsequently almost buried in that very church as they cling to the large cross as everything's buried in a flood (in Louisiana of course). I had to have the imagery to accomplish the desired "offense" with the scene that I was going for.

bigbarada
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
What was gutsy to put on TV, BigBarada? I'm quite desensitised and as a writer, I'm always trying to come up with something that challenges levels of appropriateness all the time.

Usually anything that involves graphic violence against children is pretty gutsy to put on television. It's even rare for an R-rated horror movie to cross that boundary.

Eh, religion is hypocrisy to me.

I was simply pointing out what Southern Baptist's believe for accuracy purposes, not making a commentary on religion. However, I do agree with this statement; but true Christianity has nothing to do with religion.

Anyways, I liked this week's episode. It's good to see some new characters getting introduced. I actually found myself caring more about the welfare of Rick's son than seeing any zombies.

OC47150
11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Other than last night's ep, I'm finally caught up. The producers have geared up the action and gore so far this year, and I like that.

The herd of zombies wandering the highway was unnerving.

Tycho
11-09-2011, 07:10 AM
The Well Walker was so creepy.

I bet it's a family member that those on the farm are keeping secretly.

Maybe the doctor is experimenting on captured Zombies? (To cure them if it's possible.)

And maybe's he's also holding Sophia to feed her to them?

All is not what it seems on that farm I'd bet.

But at least Glenn banged the hot farmer's daughter!

Do you guys watch "Talking Dead" after the shows? It's worth viewing regularly.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm really enjoying the show this year and I'm glad that, despite a lesser role from Darabont, they are carrying on quite well.

I want to create a really boring show called The Walking Deaf. :highly_amused:

bigbarada
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
So was that it for season 2? Usually the new episode is available on iTunes by now but I haven't seen anything on there yet. If that is the end, then the second season wrapped it up on a very powerful note. This is definitely the best show on television right now.

I thought the whole "are they zombies or just sick people?" debate was very thought provoking and can totally understand Hershel's stance on it. Especially since he's been pretty sheltered from the horrors of the apocalypse up until now and isn't going to be too eager to put a bullet in his wife's brain just because someone on TV tells him she's turned into a monster.

OC47150
12-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Gotta wait til February, BB. As much as we love zombies, they aren't warm and cuddly at the holidays.

It will be hard to top this ending, though.

Tycho
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
I think in this case, Shane was right: kill them.

You can't cure them even if you find a vaccine for the virus (for bites).

1) the walkers are decaying, dead people. How are they going to regenerate and live normal lives if something can be done to fight the disease? They can't. Maybe Herschel's walkers are pristine and not missing limbs and parts of their faces - maybe. They had to be turned into zombies and when that happened, they were clearly wounded by being chewed on. The human body does not recover from that. We don't have bacta tanks (and Luke couldn't grow a new arm, even with one).

2) They are a violent threat to bite and dismember and even devour healthy people they encounter. So you can't do anything with them - and they're a threat. It's cruel to leave them in that undead state. Shane is right.

I think Herschel would eventually have seen that for himself, but Shane made it easier for him.

And no, I don't always like the way Shane handles things (I guess) - for instance abandoning the search for Sophia before they knew what happened to her, but he's practical.

I took the poll on AMC's website and it identified which character I'd be and I got Rick. Maybe I should re-take that test?

bigbarada
12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Thinking about it from the perspective that these are "real" events happening to "real" people, then I could definitely understand Herschel's point of view. I don't trust news networks to tell the truth on everyday matters, so why would I suddenly believe some CNN reporter when he tells me that my family has turned into flesh-eating monsters and I need to put a bullet in their brains?

The reality and enormity of the situation simply hadn't set in for Herschel yet.

Also, I took that personality test as well and I guess I'm Dale.

Tycho
12-07-2011, 06:18 AM
I might do what Herschel did (if I were in his position - settled in other words) - but as soon as I observed them decaying and becoming irrecoverable for certain, I'd probably put them down.

He might have been waiting for them to decay and terminate by natural causes. But that might take longer than his lifetime - assuming Herschel would die of natural causes. He'd have to realize that before he became an invalid. Then there's no garauntee that his extended (living) family members would keep the walkers "alive" as pets either. They're dangerous!

Meanwhile, from Rick's perspective - he woke in the hospital in the middle of this and it was kill or be killed.

Shane was busy rescuing people he cared about - which obviously turned to rescuing Laurie and Carl - prompting me to wonder if Shane had an affair with Laurie before Rick was shot and in the hospital (way before the zombie appocolypse). Obviously Rick suspected and decided it was only natural for Shane and Laurie to make the mistake of believeing him to be dead and carrying through with it. But it'd be another story if he learned that it started before he was ever shot and the world was normal - or worse - that Carl is actually Shane's biological son. (Rick would never have had reason to have a paternity test back in the day - but I don't think Shane purposely missed the 2nd shooter in the traffic chase. Walking Dead showed the incident where Rick was shot and it seemed Shane did everything he could to back Rick up - so I DO believe Shane is Rick's best friend. Yet the affair with Laurie could have and at least eventually did happen).

But in any event, Shane was out in the open having to kill walkers too - in order to protect Laurie and Carl (and himself) at the very least.

We've only seen this so far of Shane's past as the appocolypse happens:

- he was on the road in a traffic jam with Laurie and Carl and they saw military helicopters fire-bomb Atlanta.

So they must have been evacuated by the authorities before they had much zombie contact.

So how fast did it spread?

How many were amongst the first walkers?

You had to have some lag time between when those attacked die the first time, or get the fever and eventually die the first time - and the time they awake - the zombie population having grown.

So how did Shane and the rest of Rick's family end up with Dale, Andrea, T-Dog, Meryl, etc? They haven't flashed back to show that.

I would assume that in that traffic jam, somebody felt like Herschel and had a sick relative with them who turned and started biting others. But that individual would've been killed the 2nd time. And again, the future walkers would need some time to incubate their disease before they'd come back - so the living people could easily get away from them.

Maybe that's where survivors including Shane banded together. Well yeah. They sort of showed that happening when the family met Sophia and her mom and abusive dad. But there should have been more living people and not THAT many walkers at that point. So what happened?

Maybe the military didn't have enough transports and Shane and others elected to stay behind and be the last ones evacuated but the military never came back?

Could a military base be overrun by zombies anyway? They have more than enough ammo especially since it'd only take one bullet carefully shot - and the zombies can't shoot back.

Then as evidence would be obvious - they'd shoot the bitten and infected as policy. Shane and friends managed to do it with only a few armed personnel when they opened the barn. A military base should be very safe, right?

bigbarada
12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, there are a lot of problems with modern zombie stories that don't really align with how things would work in the real world. There is an article on Cracked.com that describes 7 reasons that a zombie apocalypse would fail before it even started, however I can't link to it from here because of the language.

To sum them up:
7. Too many natural predators: dogs, cats, crows, buzzards, hawks, flies, maggots, lions, bears, coyotes, cougars, panthers, wolves, hyenas, rats, mice, worms, ants, bacteria, etc. - animals that have no problems eating dead flesh (in fact some of them prefer it) would be lining up to feast on any zombies that crossed their path. And that's not even counting all the animals that could gore a zombie just by walking by (or on) them: cows, horses, deer, buffalo, elephants, rhino, etc.

6. They can't take the heat: high heat causes dead bodies to putrefy much faster than normal which causes bloating (from the gases created by flesh-eating bacteria) up to twice their normal size and eventually will cause all of the dead bodies to start exploding spontaneously.

If the zombies are in a dry desert heat, the flesh will dry out and, without the ability to replenish the moisture, they will begin to mummify and simply fall over unable to move within hours. The sensitive tissue of the eyes would dry out first leaving the zombies completely blind within minutes.

5. They can't take the cold: in weather that is below freezing, all of the zombies will simply be frozen solid. There is no way for a dead body to replenish body heat and, since human bodies are mostly water, that water will freeze almost instantly in temperatures below 32º F. There is also the problem of freezer burn, which is caused by water molecules migrating out of meat after it has frozen. This causes the meat/flesh to dry out and completely destroys it, making it 100% useless even after it has been thawed out.

4. Biting is a Terrible way to Spread a Disease: rabies is a disease that can only spread through bites and look how easy that is to avoid. If you see a guy, 50 feet in front of you, getting bit by a rabid dog, are you going to let that dog (or that guy) get anywhere near you? The really dangerous diseases spread quickly because they are airborne. Even blood and body-fluid transmitted diseases (like AIDS and Herpes) are relatively easy to avoid.

Also, a very important fact (that isn't mentioned in the Cracked list) is that human teeth are incapable of biting through cloth. Not even healthy human teeth can bite through a t-shirt and that's not even factoring in the rotting teeth and gums of a zombie. So just put on a pair of jeans, some shoes and a longsleeve turtleneck and 95% of your body is zombieproof.

3. They Can't Heal from Day to Day Damage: without a central nervous system to warn your brain that your body is taking damage, even the most minor paper cuts can eventually turn into an amputation. This is why leprosy is so dangerous. People simply rub off their extremities (fingers, noses, ears, feet, genitals, etc.) because they can't feel the damage being done and it tends to build up day after day and get infected until you would end up with a bunch of limbless, faceless zombies writhing around on the ground. In fact, it would happen even faster to a zombie because their bodies wouldn't heal.

2. The Landscape is Full of Zombie Proof Barriers: rivers, mountains, cliffs, bridges, staircases, etc. - these are things that would be tough for zombies to avoid during the day and nearly impossible for them to avoid at night. Without the ability to heal or feel pain, it would only take one minor fall off the front porch to permanently incapacitate any zombie. So unless you spend the entire zombie apocalypse in an empty parking lot, you're pretty much safe wherever you are. Especially people in cities who live in buildings with security doors designed to keep out the living.

So just lock yourself indoors and take out the zombies with your gun or whatever furniture you can fit through the window. Speaking of guns...

1. Weapons and the People who Use Them: if human beings have proven anything about themselves, it's that we are really, really good at killing stuff. In 2004, there were 14 million people hunting with a license in America alone. That's not including the police and our military (who would also have access to machine guns, grenades, rocket launchers, det cord, Claymore mines, tanks, and that little thing called the Air Force).

That's also not including all the registered gun owners that don't hunt and all the illegal gun owners. And even if you are idealistically opposed to guns, you would still have no shortage of weapons like kitchen knives, baseball bats, crowbars, Molotov cocktails, and cars (that I'm sure people would more than happily use to mow down a few walking dead).

Realistically, the idea of a zombie apocalypse is really laughable. So I wouldn't be spending too much time on the hows and whys of the epidemic itself. The only thing the zombies would have in their favor is the very powerful human emotion known as denial. People might be so busy telling themselves, "Zombies don't exist, so that can't be a zombie, because zombies don't exist," that they might hesitate long enough for the zombie to get close enough to bite them.

The other thing that zombie movies and TV shows never mention is the smell of dead bodies. If you've ever been within 100 feet of a dead animal, you will know it. So it would be completely impossible for a walking horde of zombies to sneak up on any person with a functional sense of smell. Not even taking into account the swarms of flies surrounding the zombies and the birds of prey circling overhead (which would would betray any zombie about 5-10 miles out during the day).

Also this adds credence to Herschel's opinion, since he is a rancher and a veterinarian; so he would be very familiar with the effects of death on flesh. So when he sees "dead" bodies still walking around after a few days, then the only conclusion that he would draw is that they are not dead, because that would be impossible. In other words, his intelligence would be working against him in this situation.

JEDIpartner
12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
I merely thought that, by mid-season, the season has been "fine". I think the first half felt like a lot of "nothing happened" to me. I felt that the story could've spanned four episodes rather than the seven that aired. There wasn't very much character development for me and it seemed like they actually just plugged the characters into roles that were too defined. I still think it's a great show and compelling television even at worst. Season one was a 10/10 for me and this season has been about a 6/10 at this point.

Tycho
12-07-2011, 03:23 PM
BB: thanks for that awesome analysis. I think I'll include that in my memory of my all-time favorite posts by you. That was really informative and well thought out. I think I can finally stop sleeping with my gun under my pillow on Sunday nights. All thanks to you. ;)

Meanwhile, I think it would be really tough for a FICTION writer to write their way around these facts you illustrated, just to make the show even more realisitc. I doubt that happens. But it's just good 'ol plain fun anyway.

JP: I think I really disagree with you on this one. As I've been discussing the FICTION behind a Zombie Appocalypse with BB above, that's hardly what makes this show. It's very strong character development and the human story - about the survivors' decisions - like the contrast between Herschel and Shane's approach to things (Rick's somewhere in the middle - like John Kerry between Dennis Kucinich and Dick Cheney).

JEDIpartner
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I thought the character development was terrible in that it took too long to deconstruct what they had built up. The characters became too black and white to me. There wasn't enough grey area. The funny thing is that I think I even read that someplace. I will have to see if I can dig that up. This show, overall, is like Battlestar Galactica (reboot) in that the whole convention and setting is merely a space for character development and how people deal with adversity and whatnot. I don't think that we see this as differently as you think. I just think that what they did was rather poorly done and over more episodes than they needed. I think the mid-season finale was possibly the best episode since the season opener. My issue was there was too much repetition in each episode and nothing was really offered that couldn't have been offered in fewer episodes.

Oh... here was something that I read after the finale aired and it echoed my sentiments...
'The Walking Dead' and 'Pretty Much Dead Already': A cheap thrill-kill, or new life for the season?

(http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/11/28/walking-dead-season-2-episode-7-sophia/)

bigbarada
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
BB: thanks for that awesome analysis. I think I'll include that in my memory of my all-time favorite posts by you. That was really informative and well thought out. I think I can finally stop sleeping with my gun under my pillow on Sunday nights. All thanks to you. ;)

Meanwhile, I think it would be really tough for a FICTION writer to write their way around these facts you illustrated, just to make the show even more realisitc. I doubt that happens. But it's just good 'ol plain fun anyway.

Well, you know the motto of Hollywood, "Reality is no excuse for bad fiction." ;)

I thought the character development was terrible in that it took too long to deconstruct what they had built up. The characters became too black and white to me. There wasn't enough grey area. The funny thing is that I think I even read that someplace. I will have to see if I can dig that up. This show, overall, is like Battlestar Galactica (reboot) in that the whole convention and setting is merely a space for character development and how people deal with adversity and whatnot. I don't think that we see this as differently as you think. I just think that what they did was rather poorly done and over more episodes than they needed. I think the mid-season finale was possibly the best episode since the season opener. My issue was there was too much repetition in each episode and nothing was really offered that couldn't have been offered in fewer episodes.

Oh... here was something that I read after the finale aired and it echoed my sentiments...
'The Walking Dead' and 'Pretty Much Dead Already': A cheap thrill-kill, or new life for the season?

(http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/11/28/walking-dead-season-2-episode-7-sophia/)

I tend to prefer slower character development and I don't really mind it when shows take their time building up to something big. It's one of the major benefits that a television series has over a 2-hour movie - they get more time to lull the audience into a sense of security and then drop a sudden bomb on them. I don't think the mid-season finale last week would have had nearly the same impact without all the episodes building up to it. It seems that the incidences of zombies have been fewer and farther between so far this season, but I think it really just helps to underscore that this show is not about the zombies.

Of course, that's not to say that every episode is a winner (I think the ending of episode 206, where Lori confessed her relationship with Shane, kind of fell flat); but overall I still love this show. I don't have cable (or even basic TV reception), so I have to buy each episode individually off of iTunes; but this is the only television show I care about, so it's the only one I'm interested in watching and actually paying for.

Also, I don't think I've ever read an Entertainment Weekly review that I've actually agreed with. Sometimes I think they just criticize stuff because they think they are supposed to.

OC47150
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I merely thought that, by mid-season, the season has been "fine". I think the first half felt like a lot of "nothing happened" to me. I felt that the story could've spanned four episodes rather than the seven that aired. There wasn't very much character development for me and it seemed like they actually just plugged the characters into roles that were too defined. I still think it's a great show and compelling television even at worst. Season one was a 10/10 for me and this season has been about a 6/10 at this point.

Stretching the search for Sophia out was a bit much. One or two eps could've been trimmed down.

I think Herschel's intentions are good, but he's not thinking in the present time. I wouldn't say he's delusional but just in the wrong mind.

Tycho
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't have anything new to really add, but in reading what others have posted, I'm finding myself strongly agreeing with BigBarada in this discussion.

JEDIpartner
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
And you're allowed to do that, Tycho. I just found the Sophia thing to just be a couple episodes too long. OC apparently, agrees. Two sides.

OC47150
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
And you're allowed to do that, Tycho. I just found the Sophia thing to just be a couple episodes too long. OC apparently, agrees. Two sides.

I realize, in the scheme of the show, the search was probably just two or three days, at most.

bigbarada
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I realize, in the scheme of the show, the search was probably just two or three days, at most.

It had to be more than 3 days, I think. They spent at least a day, maybe a day and a half, on the highway before even making it out to Herschel's farm. Then the whole thing with Carl's surgery, he didn't recover from that within just a couple of days. Plus, Shane mentioned how, before the zombies, they would stop looking for a living child and begin looking for a body after the kid had been missing for 3 days. He said that about 2-3 episodes ago.

I'd have to rewatch the entire season to be sure, but I just assumed that the search for Sophia took at least a week, maybe as long as 2 weeks.

JEDIpartner
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I was going to say that Carl's recovery was coming along if it had only been a couple days. I think it was longer than a couple days.

OC47150
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I'd have to rewatch the entire season to be sure, but I just assumed that the search for Sophia took at least a week, maybe as long as 2 weeks.

A week at the most, I'd say.

But again, the first entire season of Lost took place in a month's time.

Tycho
12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
What I'm sure everyone else is wondering, is will Herschel's chicken population now start to recover since Zombies are no longer eating them?

OC47150
12-17-2011, 08:51 AM
What I'm sure everyone else is wondering, is will Herschel's chicken population now start to recover since Zombies are no longer eating them?

Good question! I think Herschel's zombies were eating better than Rick and his crew.

Tycho
12-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Why do zombies eat? Chicken or other animals, especially?

On one hand, I've heard they bite to spread their disease.

That's why the half-body zombie (bicycle girl) in the first episode wants to bite Rick. She has no stomach to digest food with!

If animals can't get the disease (that we know of) - what's the point in eating Rick's horse (first episode)?

OK - dogs bite and eat anyway. So if a dog or higher predator, like a zoo tiger got bit, and it attacked and ate people, it wouldn't be shocking. Right?

Now here's an idea: if an herbovore like Rick's horse got the disease and started attacking and biting people - that'd be freaky! A carniverous horse! How about a mass of hamsters from a pet store that attack in swarms? Or cows chasing and eating people?

Maybe an animal gets bit but the zombie is killed or interrupted, and the animal survives, gets the disease (or a mutated strand), and starts attacking?!

bigbarada
12-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I do think the zombies bite to eat, but it's not driven by a hunger that can be satisfied. In other words, no matter how much they eat, they are always going to want to eat more. In fact, the drive to eat is probably so all-consuming (no pun intended) that it overrides all other brain activity... or... all other brain activity is dead except for the instinct to eat. However you want to look at it.

It has to be something about living flesh, otherwise the zombies would just eat each other. Maybe it's something about warm blood and once the organism dies and the blood cools, then it is no longer desirable to them.

Tycho
12-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Yeah. Zombies are weird. They're just not normal people like everyone else.

Obvious? Well Herschel doesn't get it.

bigbarada
12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
If you look at zombies as having a severe brain disease, then everything makes sense. You can't really assign logic to the actions of an insane person, and I think that would work with zombies as well.

Tycho
12-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Severe brain disease - probably - but they are also decaying dead bodies with no functioning circulation.

And some of them don't even have complete bodies (like bicycle girl).

As they rapidly consume flesh, nothing is digested either. I guess a well-fed zombie just gets bigger and bigger? (except bicycle girl - and man would watching her feed ever be gross!)

On Talking Dead, the guests discussed whether we'll ever see a snapping, severed head. They said it's possible.

Tycho
03-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I can't believe no ones talking about this after the major changes to the cast that happened this past 2week's weeks! It was way awesome.

OC47150
03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
I like a show that's not afraid of killing characters off.

I've been told by a bigger fan that the actor playing Dale wanted out. Shane has a starring role in the new La Noir on TNT. I figured he'd disappear but not this soon.

It's making an opening for some new characters.

Also like the progression from summer to fall on the show.

Tycho
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Also like the progression from summer to fall on the show.

What do you mean? When it airs or the seasons in the fiction of the show?

Meanwhile, Shane was a great character! The conflict he provided will be missed.

sith_killer_99
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Shane outlived his comic book character, so I wasn't surprised to see him go.

It looks like they picked up a couple extra episodes for next season, 16! I was originally told 18 :upset: but hey, 16 is better than 13. :biggrin:

OC47150
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Seasons on the show. The trees are starting to turn, and the folks are wearing coats. Makes me wonder if season 3 will be set during the winter months, which would add some more challenges.

Tycho
03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
As to the actor who plays Dale wanting out, why would he?

Another role?

Or did he actually not like being on the show.

I did not like his obstructionist character, but the audience wasn't supposed to - save for those that might have felt like he did.

Dale was just a little less naive than Herschel before the zombie barn appocalypse changed him. (Now I like Herschel a lot better).

By the way, I'm glad Randall's dead. I never trusted him. YES, I did feel sorry for him. But he was too big of risk to the women and the resources on that farm, should he bring back others from his survivor group.

Another interesting point - I think that Merryl - the (now) one-handed, angry brother of Darryl could have been the leader of the other group. That would have been interesting to see Darryl go against his own brother and side with Rick (mostly because of Darryl's new not-quite-love interest (Sophia's mom).

That would have been an interesting way to go.

Now they still could -but someone would have to talk about Randal because as far as survivors (that escaped the town with Herschel's bar) know - Randal died on that fence. Unless of course they come across his body. But the group is going to have to vacate the farm now for sure - with all those zombies coming. Wonder if that was "the herd" that we saw on the highway out of Atlanta? It didn't look like THAT many - but it was enough.

I wonder if they''ll ever find out what walkers actually are - and what causes them to occur?

Even after the group knows - there's still plenty of story to tell.

I know comic books can go on forever before that reveal. But TV is different. They have to move the show along faster and thus far they are doing it.

OC47150
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
As to the actor who plays Dale wanting out, why would he?

Another role?

Or did he actually not like being on the show.

From what I've read, Jeffrey DeMunn is good friend's with Darabont, had made a couple of movies with him (Shawshank, the Mist), and since Darabont wasn't with the show anymore, DeMunn wanted to be written out.

I think there's some ill-feelings between the cast and producers about the Darabont fallout. The cast wasn't allowed to speak about it at last year's ComicCon, and when the subject did come up, they offer specific answers.

Tycho
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I was at Comic Con but I think something else was a schedule conflict.

sith_killer_99
03-18-2012, 10:47 PM
What a finale!

Fun fact, Dale's RV is the same make and model as the RV from Spaceballs! lol

I can't wait 'til next season! Michonne has arrived! That was so bad arse!

The beginning of the Ricktatorship!!!

OC47150
03-19-2012, 02:03 PM
It was a good ep. I liked Herschel's one-man stand on the farm.

Next season will be interesting and highly anticipating. I might have to buy the boxed sets of 1 and 2 this summer.

Tycho
03-21-2012, 05:02 AM
OK, spoilers are open season!

The season ending was terrific!

I'm sorry to see Shane die but the way he went out - in the confrontation with Rick - was awesome. And it made Rick man-up! (Carl too)

Now they can't stay out in the open like that. It's going to get interesting.

The helicopter suggests there are humans operating somewhere. I've heard chatter about the prison and "the Governor" (of Georgia?) holed up in there running a dictatorship? Then Rick comes knocking.

Meanwhile, Michonne: her zombies on chains have slack in their lines. Why don't they come at her? I don't get that. Zombies don't know that she cut off their arms and their lower jaws. I guess she's using them as trackers to find survivors? What other use could they be? Though I've also heard the zombies she keeps leashed are her brother and boyfriend's corpses. Still, they wouldn't know her any longer. Zombies don't know anything - like how to climb a fence at Herchel's.

That brings up a point: Herschel will now be a new member of the cast. I heard on Talking Dead that he was supposed to die, but with Dale leaving the show and audiences liking Herschel - the actor suddenly found himself with a longer term job. That's good. I like his character. I didn't always agree with the old Christian Herschel, but the new one is more representative of a man who recognizes reality and he's not so whiny about it the way Dale was.

Andrea having been trained by Shane and now possibly Michonne will become deadly! Just something about Laurie Holden though - she always looks like she's smiling and a hardened Linda Hamilton look from Terminator would seem to be more appropriate for how I imagine the character. Remember the smiling Princess Leia on the Speederbike 12"? I didn't even buy that on clearance for $12.

Now - so they're all infected. Could this be a government weapon gone wrong or a fall-out from a terrorist attack? It's the perfect weapon: the dead rise and kill the living, and keeps killing them until the living survivors die and become the walking dead as well. Maybe this was some kind of extreme population control measure and the people in helicopters know all about it?

OC47150
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
The helicopter suggests there are humans operating somewhere. I've heard chatter about the prison and "the Governor" (of Georgia?) holed up in there running a dictatorship? Then Rick comes knocking.

Of everything in that ep, the helicopter intrigued me the most. A die-hard WD comic fan told me the it was a news chopper and that it crashes at the prison. We'll have to wait and see if that's still the case this fall.

bigbarada
03-21-2012, 11:01 PM
It seems that something snapped in Rick's head when he confessed to killing Shane and his wife pushed him away at the end of the episode. Even though she was the one who originally warned him of what Shane was really capable of. I wonder if Rick now thinks that she was really in love with Shane.

Of the current group, I think I might relate with Herschel the most. However, I didn't like his comment about Christ promising the resurrection of the dead and somehow equating that with the zombie invasion. I think the writers put that in because they thought it would be funny, but it's not something a true Christian would say. I do like the idea of Herschel taking Dale's place as the moral center of the group.

It's just too bad that we have to wait so long to see what happens next.

sith_killer_99
03-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Of the current group, I think I might relate with Herschel the most. However, I didn't like his comment about Christ promising the resurrection of the dead and somehow equating that with the zombie invasion. I think the writers put that in because they thought it would be funny, but it's not something a true Christian would say. I do like the idea of Herschel taking Dale's place as the moral center of the group.

I looked at it VERY differently, more like showing human nature, questioning his own faith, trials and tribulations, etc. Our faith is tested, plain and simple and that line speaks to the issue, at least for me.

bigbarada
03-25-2012, 09:04 AM
I looked at it VERY differently, more like showing human nature, questioning his own faith, trials and tribulations, etc. Our faith is tested, plain and simple and that line speaks to the issue, at least for me.

Well, as preacher he would know the exact conditions that Christ described for the Resurrection of the Saints and the zombie apocalypse is nothing even close.

As it is, though, I can chalk it up to a moment of weakness, since he had come to accept the death of his wife, had just lost his farm and he didn't know if any of his other family members had survived up to that point. I just hope that the writers tone that kind of thing down a bit in the future. The whole "preacher who lost faith when he saw how terrible the 'real world' is" thing has been done to death.

Tycho
04-07-2012, 04:53 PM
On Hell on Wheels, the Preacher losing his faith is also being done.

That's 2 AMC shows. The Preacher on HoW lost his faith because he tried to stop the Indians from being massacred by the US Army at the behest of the railroad vying for territory. He wanted everyone to "get along." Now the war with the Cheyene is "on!" (But that show follows the course of actual history.)

On Walking Dead, I think that they are showing religion is open to interpretation. Yeah. The Dead have arisen as supposedly set to happen in the End Times.

First, prophesy can be made to resemble whatever is happening so as to lend religion more power when it's convenient.

For example, the Japanese tsunami and Texas tornado, followed up with a big fire and an earthquake this year, could have folks yelling that the Mayans were right and suddenly a lot of people converting to appease the Mayan gods if some charismatic "Mayan" medacine man does a good job preaching it. (I think faith should be found within oneself, not by having someone led to it by a guide, such as a religious leader, all of whom I have questions about their motivations - though I'm sure some could be good guys. Is there good in the (ficticious example of my modern) Mayan Medacine Man?

Second, if prophesy comes to be true, it's not necessary what everyone wants or expects. An example is in Star Wars. Anakin would bring balance to the Force. With the Dark Side rising, this sounded like a good thing, right? Well, he balanced the Force alright. All Jedi dead (mostly), the Order broken, and 2 Jedi (Obi-Wan and Yoda) and 2 Sith (Vader and Sidious). Next it's down to only 1 on 1: Luke vs. Sidious and Anakin/Vader settles that one, doesn't he? Well, I'm sure Mace would have preferred the prophesy to have been fulfilled somewhat differently. But we actually never learned what Jedi thought about how the prophesy would manifest itself.

Revelations is prophesy. It is about what is to come to be. Most of the Bible (both testaments) is about what has already happened.

So, someone, maybe not in the immediate cast of WD, could interpret the Walking Dead, as "the arisen." And in the twisted world, maybe the saints are the sinners. As if the interesting people were the ones chosen to be brought back: such as thieves, adulterers, and murderers. WD is full of twists and turns and man doesn't really know what God wants: preachers that have a gift to talk TELL us what God wants, and group-think repeats it. It's backed up by Bible INTERPRETATION from which there is cause to doubt.

I think Herschel is an excellent character for this role, btw. His keeping the Walkers "healthy" in his barn was great writing and a classic example. I do not know if that was ever in the comics, but it is brilliant writing! I loved that idea and how Shane settled the question. I'm going to miss Shane, btw.

Tycho
10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
So what a season 3 opener!

I watched Talking dead and I'm curious to see more of Michonne and learn about her. I'm not a comic book reader.

As to the live guys they found in the prison? I wonder how they'll get along. Rick has to protect the women and children. Remember the guys he shot in the bar?

I think that place is going to be hell for them!

bigbarada
10-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I was pretty happy with the season premiere. I loved how Rick's group had turned into a well-oiled, zombie-killing machine over the winter. And I especially liked how Carl is regarded as just one of the troops now and not the kid that is constantly being hidden from danger.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Michonne also. I wonder if they are going to explain more about the zombie-slaves and I wouldn't mind seeing some flashbacks to establish how her and Andrea became so close.

I think the prison is going to be their home base for the duration of this season at least. I don't read the comic books either, but I've been deliberately avoiding them to keep from having the story spoiled.

Tycho
10-16-2012, 06:11 PM
If Michonne's zombie pets fall over, with no arms, how do they get back up? Does she set them right side up?

I understand it provides cover for her so other Walkers can't sniff her out, but are they really practical?

bigbarada
10-16-2012, 11:59 PM
If Michonne's zombie pets fall over, with no arms, how do they get back up? Does she set them right side up?

I understand it provides cover for her so other Walkers can't sniff her out, but are they really practical?

LOL, I had never thought about that. Maybe if they fall down, she just makes new ones.

I think it's something that looked great on a comic book page, but I'm not sure how practical it would be in reality. I'll give it some time to see if they explain how the work.

One thing I didn't like about the premiere was that the writers seemed to take for granted that the audience automatically knew who Michonne was. Hopefully, they develop her enough onscreen and don't assume that everyone watching the show has read the comic.

Tycho
10-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Michonne wouldn't like to get new Zombie pets for a very specific reason.

I don't know if it really spoils anything, because when she explains it, the scene will be somewhat powerful anyway.

But I can tell you if you'd like. I heard it on Talking Dead - the follow-up show AMC puts on after the encore presentation of Walking Dead, so it is "factual and verified" by creater Kirkman since he was the guest on the show who said it.

Like I said, I don't think it spoils the intrigue about Michonne at all - just makes you anticipate this bit of juicy dialogue.

So I'll tell you if you want to know.

bigbarada
10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
If it's just related to the identity of those two zombies, then I might already know. Are they former family members?

This will be the first season that I watch the Talking Dead. I didn't have cable last year, so I was buying all of the Walking Dead episodes off of iTunes and didn't get to see all of the supplemental programming.

OC47150
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
If it's just related to the identity of those two zombies, then I might already know. Are they former family members?

Interesting theory, one I hadn't thought of. That's a possibility. Convenience of not carrying heavy backpacks is what I initially thought.

Tycho
10-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Michonne's zombie pets are the corpses of her brother and boyfriend.

In that sense, they're not replaceable AND she has never let go of who she was before the Zombie Appocalypse.

I heard Kirkman explain it on Talking Dead.

I think it will be a powerful moment for the actress explaining that to Andrea (? - she probably already knows by now) or some other character.

In a sense, we saw this with Herschel already, but he kept his family members that were turned in his barn.

Michonne's a little bit more creative. She cut off their arms and their jaws. Seeing exactly how she managed that would've been interesting. But maybe she did it when they were still dying, before they reanimated? While they were lying there it would have made it easier.

i suspect the men could have been bitten while defending her, so she kept them around for protection?

However, eventually, they'll decay and fall apart - legs coming off or whatever.

bigbarada
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
As to last night's episode, I didn't like that Tomas guy anyway. He seemed like he was going to be trouble right off the bat. I think the other prisoner that Rick locked outside with the zombies might weigh heavily on Rick's conscience in the future, however.

I think I remember something about Michonne's zombies being "zombie repellant" to some degree. Which makes sense. They established in the 2nd episode that zombies are attracted to the living by smell, so having 2 zombies with you would overpower the smell of just one living person... at least from a distance. Obviously, it wouldn't work once you added a second living person.

OC47150
10-22-2012, 03:42 PM
I just kept waiting for one of the inmates to say, hey, Cactus Bob is a zombie!

I didn't notice Tiny getting bitten at first. I thought the zombie just felt him up.

The darker Rick is interesting, as well as the grown up Carl. It will be interesting to watch this season play out for them.

jonthejedi
10-23-2012, 03:59 AM
I don't think the acorn will fall from the tree when it comes to Carl. Certainly the little boy is gone, obliterated.

bigbarada
10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think the acorn will fall from the tree when it comes to Carl. Certainly the little boy is gone, obliterated.

That's true, but I guess it's to be expected in a world like this. I would guess that if Sophia had survived season 2, then she would be right alongside Carl with a gun.

I'm just glad that the show's writers aren't afraid to portray a kid as a ruthless killer. Of course, I think young kids are more likely to become cold-blooded killers if placed in those kinds of situations, because kids don't have as firm of a grasp of the consequences of their actions. An adult would understand the consequences more fully and would be more likely to hesitate in taking a life for the first time.

bigbarada
11-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I liked last Sunday's episode, but it almost felt like I was watching a pilot episode for a completely new TV series. It will be interesting to see what the Governor's motivations are and how he and Rick will inevitably knock heads.

OC47150
11-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I liked last Sunday's episode, but it almost felt like I was watching a pilot episode for a completely new TV series. It will be interesting to see what the Governor's motivations are and how he and Rick will inevitably knock heads.

Funny that you mentioned that, but a buddy told me more or less the same thing the other day. It's like two separate shows right now.

The Govenor is like Shaft: one bad motha. I don't know much about his background; it will be interesting to see how things play out this season.

I also told my buddy that the fall break should be coming up here in another 2 - 3 weeks.

Tycho
11-04-2012, 01:37 AM
It will be interesting to see .......how he and Rick will inevitably knock heads.

Did you mean like heads in jars, by that comment, BigB? :D

bigbarada
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Did you mean like heads in jars, by that comment, BigB? :D

Well, Rick's fallen a bit behind on his heads-in-jars collection, so that might not be for a while. :p

Anyways, last night's episode felt like a punch to the gut. Not to give anything away, but I wouldn't have expected an episode like that until the season finale. It makes me wonder just how intense the rest of this season is going to be.

OC47150
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Anyways, last night's episode felt like a punch to the gut. Not to give anything away, but I wouldn't have expected an episode like that until the season finale. It makes me wonder just how intense the rest of this season is going to be.

I agree. Intense episode indeed!

I do think the scenes with the Govenor could've waited until another ep. Broke the flow just a bit, IMO.

I met the actor who plays T-Dog at a con this summer. Very nice guy.

Tycho
11-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I am waaay caught up on Walking Dead as of tonight's show.

Awesome!

Did the zombie Rick killed in the boiler room get bloated from consuming Lori? Did they recover her body? Who was placed in the graves? T-Dog? Did they get his body? And was there an empty grave for Carol? We didn't see her get killed or a body. She could still be alive, though I doubt it since the group would go looking for her if they didn't have evidence. Look at what they did for Sophia - and Glenn went looking for Rick...

So I guess the baby turned in Lori's wuomb? So it had to be delivered C-section or it would die, and then turn, and then eat Lori inside out. That would have been awesome to see. A great show for the governor's arena.

On that note, I don't think that fit his pattern. Maybe Meryl's - but not Mr. Rodgers with his dead daughter in the closet.

I really hated him killing the troops. What the hell for?

OC47150
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I am waaay caught up on Walking Dead as of tonight's show.

Awesome!

Did the zombie Rick killed in the boiler room get bloated from consuming Lori? Did they recover her body? Who was placed in the graves? T-Dog? Did they get his body? And was there an empty grave for Carol? We didn't see her get killed or a body. She could still be alive, though I doubt it since the group would go looking for her if they didn't have evidence. Look at what they did for Sophia - and Glenn went looking for Rick...

So I guess the baby turned in Lori's wuomb? So it had to be delivered C-section or it would die, and then turn, and then eat Lori inside out. That would have been awesome to see. A great show for the governor's arena.

On that note, I don't think that fit his pattern. Maybe Meryl's - but not Mr. Rodgers with his dead daughter in the closet.

I really hated him killing the troops. What the hell for?

Too many questions, Tycho!

I thought the same thing about the zombie Rick killed. Very pausible, indeed. The zombie did feast well.

You'd think they'd make a show of recovering TDog's body, but maybe not. Don't know what's up with Carol. She could still be running/hiding in the prison, but you'd think she'd shown up by now.

It was Thunderdome with a Lynard Skynard soundtrack!

Michonne has a withering stare. Looks like she wants to slap the white off Andrea.

But I think this was a turning point for Andrea. She realizes not all is well in Happy Town.

Merle is a good fit for Happy Town, too.

bigbarada
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm really bothered about the Carol thing. Where did she go and why does everyone in the prison just assume that she's dead? Although the preview for next episode seems to suggest that they find evidence she's still alive. My thought is that she ran out the door and whoever it was that was watching her practice the C-section on the zombie kidnapped her for some reason. Maybe they assume she is a doctor and can help them in some way.

Otherwise, lots of wonderful brutality in this episode. :thumbsup:

I didn't really see the zombie-gladiator games as out of character for the Governor, it reminded me of a UFC event with a zombie twist and I know a lot of otherwise very clean cut guys who love the UFC.

Tycho
11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree, Carol was not shown dead or even injured, so odds are she could still be alive.

I watched Talking Dead with the director and producer or the show. The Zombie Rick killed that was bloated, had entirely consumed Lori. That's why it couldn't move to get up after Rick. They put some of Lori's hair hanging out of its mouth they said - but it was too dark for me to really pick up on that detail. But the zombie consumed her whole. Gross.

Better yet, a half-naked zombie Lori with her c-sectioned guts hanging open would have been an fx site to see. They had to have discussed doing that - if the bullet meant that Carl couldn't shoot his mom. The kid's 1000 yard stare could have also meant that.

Still, that post-surgery Lori could come back if it's decided that Rick assumed the zombie ate Lori but it actually ate someone else. Hard to imagine since she died in that boiler room and who else had that the zombie would have gorged on?

Why do zombies eat anyway? I hope that one day we'll find out what this whole mystery has been about, but I'd like all these disgusting possibilities explored by the FX department, too.

The thing with the zombie UFC fight was there was plenty of women in the audience watching, I think. Girls do not like that stuff that much and I'm not sure how much it would change (even with the desire for revenge) in the post-zombie-appocalypse world. If you wanted revenge, you'd hang out atop one of the walls and shoot walkers all day. I could see someone like Michonne (almost - but she's more practical than that) doing such a thing.

bigbarada
11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
The thing with the zombie UFC fight was there was plenty of women in the audience watching, I think. Girls do not like that stuff that much and I'm not sure how much it would change (even with the desire for revenge) in the post-zombie-appocalypse world. If you wanted revenge, you'd hang out atop one of the walls and shoot walkers all day. I could see someone like Michonne (almost - but she's more practical than that) doing such a thing.

Female UFC fans are just as devoted, in some ways even more devoted, than male fans. Most women I know who are interested in the UFC consider the fighters to be the ultimate male sex symbols. It's the same reason that gladiators in ancient Rome were seen as sex symbols by the women of their day.

Female fans actually tend to be more loyal than male fans as well. So they're not as likely to abandon their favorite fighter just because he's lost a couple of fights.

bigbarada
11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I was wondering how long Rick and the Governor could stay oblivious to each other's existence. Looks like that's going to change pretty soon.

I found myself cursing at the TV at certain moments of tonight's episode and cheering at other moments. I also found myself really rooting for Michonne for the first time, as we finally got to see what she was made of. I think she was being dragged down by Andrea too much (when she wasn't just wandering around Woodberry looking creepy) in the earlier episodes for us to get a good idea of what she is really capable of.

So was there really nobody on the other end of the phone? By the end of the episode, I got the impression that Rick had just been talking to himself the whole time.

Oh yes, and the whole question of "what the heck happened to Carol?" has finally been answered.

OC47150
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I was wondering how long Rick and the Governor could stay oblivious to each other's existence. Looks like that's going to change pretty soon.

I found myself cursing at the TV at certain moments of tonight's episode and cheering at other moments. I also found myself really rooting for Michonne for the first time, as we finally got to see what she was made of. I think she was being dragged down by Andrea too much (when she wasn't just wandering around Woodberry looking creepy) in the earlier episodes for us to get a good idea of what she is really capable of.

So was there really nobody on the other end of the phone? By the end of the episode, I got the impression that Rick had just been talking to himself the whole time.

Oh yes, and the whole question of "what the heck happened to Carol?" has finally been answered.

No mystery about Carol. Glad to see she's survived.

I, too, was glad to see a little Michonne action. Even with a bum leg, I was hoping she'd jump in and help Glen and Maggie.

As for Rick, I thought the calls were real...until names were mentioned. Then I realized it was his imagination kicking in.

Don't know what to think about Andrea. Thought she saw the light last week with the zombie fights, but apparently not.

OC47150
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
We're promised some fireworks in the mid-season finale!

Just wanna slap Andrea. Is she the dumbest white girl around? No, wait, that's Lindsey Lohan.

bigbarada
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, definitely looking forward to next week's episode. According to the previews, Daryl learns that Merle is alive; but I honestly have no idea how it's going to play out when they meet again. I don't really see Daryl leaving Rick's group, but Merle doesn't look like he's ready to forgive Rick anytime soon. Also, I highly doubt Rick or any of the others would welcome Merle into their group after what he did to Glenn.

Speaking of Glenn, he really impressed me in this week's episode.

Tycho
11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Maggie's really sexy and those scenes titilated as well as played out as violently wicked with the Governor. Would have been great if the show was on HBO in that they would have showed us "more." ;)

So now the series will become a human-war between the residents of Woodbury and the Prison for a little while.

Though fewer in numbers, Rick's rangers have the edge.

From next week's preview, I think Michonne will take care of the Governor's daughter.

Cool to see Mr. Coleman as a freshly turned walker with no sign of decay or injury. I like the experiment with his memory, but we all already knew the outcome. I'm surprised Woodbury would be suprised at anything less.

In any event, we don't need too many walkers like Coleman, because part of the show is seeing blood and gore :evil:

*Oh and another thing: the residents might like zombie-fight-nights, but what if some zombie they catch turned up to be somebody's turned relative. I don't think it would be as much fun to watch your family member's re-animated corpse turn up in there.

That should happen one "fight-night" when a member of the audience yells out, "Hey! That's my uncle Wilbur! and Granny? Now Governor - you just wait one minute!"

LTBasker
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
The thing I actually found most interesting about the episode was actually the title. "When the dead come knocking." Because, I don't know if it was intentional, the title really seemed like a reference to the previous time they really focused on the ideals behind the experiment, with zombies possibly remembering their former lives. I'm referring to the season 1 episode in which the black guy's wife was shown to routinely come to the door of their house, stand there for a little while, and eventually start trying to get in. Of course she didn't literally come knocking, so it only applies in a figurative sense, but still. I find it an interesting connection.

From next week's preview, I think Michonne will take care of the Governor's daughter.

Nope, it's gotta be Rick. It's the one job he does well on the show: killing little zombie girls. And, we mustn't deny him the trifecta!

bigbarada
12-04-2012, 12:57 AM
It stinks that we have to wait two months for the next episode. I really don't have any idea how this is going to pan out. Obviously Rick's team is going to want to rescue Daryl, but they can't do that without rescuing Merle as well and I definitely don't see Glenn, Maggie, or Michonne wanting to help Merle in any way.

Also, what's Andrea going to do now? Is she going to hold a grudge against Rick's group for "abandoning" her? After what she's seen with the Governor, I don't know how she could continue to stay with him, but it wouldn't really surprise me if she finds a way to justify staying in Woodberry.

OC47150
12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
It stinks that we have to wait two months for the next episode. I really don't have any idea how this is going to pan out. Obviously Rick's team is going to want to rescue Daryl, but they can't do that without rescuing Merle as well and I definitely don't see Glenn, Maggie, or Michonne wanting to help Merle in any way.

Also, what's Andrea going to do now? Is she going to hold a grudge against Rick's group for "abandoning" her? After what she's seen with the Governor, I don't know how she could continue to stay with him, but it wouldn't really surprise me if she finds a way to justify staying in Woodberry.

The rescue is more for Daryl; Merle is baggage that tags along.

Just wished Michonne jabbed that shard of glass a little deeper into the Gov's eye.

I start my Monday mornings with a cola and the Walking Dead. Now I need to find a new show until February.

bigbarada
02-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Man, I am not happy about the situation with Derryl and Merle. Hopefully, that's not a permanent thing.

Plus, Rick is totally losing his mind now too. If he doesn't get his marbles back, then I don't see him being much of an effective leader anymore. Also, I don't really get why he's pushing Michonne away.

Oh yeah, on Talking Dead, Kevin Smith referred to Carl as "Wyatt Twerp". :D

OC47150
02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Good ep. Rick going off the deep end will play heavily into the remainder of the season, I think.

Darryl will be back; it's just a matter of time. He's too popular of a character.

Wyatt Twerp, I like that. Quick Draw McGraw would be a good one.

I made the mistake of not watching the previous one to reaquaint myself the prior events.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Something to drool over. The upcoming Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-Ray set.

OC47150
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Too cool!!!

Tycho
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Talking Dead had a great discussion about how Rick is pushing everyone else who is strong, away from him.

Darrel will be back. He's a regular cast member like Andrea. They'll have their side stories going on in each episode in the meantime.

Merle is a regular cast member too. I think he'll be killed off, but don't count on it happening to soon.

The consensus was that Glenn should kill him, or Darrel will have to shoot his own brother.

As to the Governor? Talking Dead's conference over that matter suggested Maggie should kill the Governor.

Would be interesting. Andrea is also a good candidate for that.

But many think Andrea will temporarily become the new Governor of Woodbury.

Though the same writer does both the comic and the show (the creator of Walking Dead - on Talking Dead next week btw) he has stated on Talking Dead that the show does not follow his own comic books. There are similarities and in general patterns it will go that way, but he wanted to be free to do something new with his storyline and characters and though there's a huge overlap of viewers and readers, the show also has a non-reader audience that has made their own favorite character preferences known. Plus, he wants to do new things to surprise his reading audience.

That keeps the show unpredicatable and he hoped enjoyable for comic book readers, so they don't know what will happen next.

I think Herschel is going to learn the martial arts from Michonne and put a giant sword in his stump leg and do flying leap kicks over walkers and kill them with his Kung-Fu Herschel roundhouses!

OC47150
02-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Depending on how many eps are in this part-two season, I could see Rick falling deeper into despair/depression/mental instability, but some event will make him realize he's needed. I'm not expecting more than 6 eps. So one down, at least 5 left.

But I could be wrong.

bigbarada
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Something to drool over. The upcoming Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-Ray set.

That's pretty amazing. Too bad it's for the Blu-Rays. I bought the Blu-Ray version of season 2 and I was really disappointed that the show doesn't seem like it's actually been filmed in hi-def. The image was VERY grainy and there was no discernible difference between the season 2 Blu-Ray picture quality and the picture quality on my season 1 DVD.

bigbarada
02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Awesome way to end the show tonight. Hopefully Rick has snapped out of his crazy.

Also, I was wondering what was going to happen if Carol and Axel got romantically involved and then Darryl returned; but I guess that's not going to be an issue anymore.

I see lots and lots of friction at the prison with Merle and Darryl back and Michonne seemingly going nowhere, but I'm thinking everyone will mesh into a pretty effective fighting unit when they need to.

OC47150
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Also, I was wondering what was going to happen if Carol and Axel got romantically involved and then Darryl returned; but I guess that's not going to be an issue anymore.

I see lots and lots of friction at the prison with Merle and Darryl back and Michonne seemingly going nowhere, but I'm thinking everyone will mesh into a pretty effective fighting unit when they need to.

I was wondering that, too. Poor Axel. Never had a chance with Carol.

I kept thinking, was it a good idea for Rick to be wandering the woods with an automatic rifle in his current state? The answer is, yes.

Read where the last ep airs on March 31, so 5 - 6 more eps.

Tycho
02-25-2013, 01:45 AM
It is war now. Rick needs to kill the governor and take over Woodbury

bigbarada
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
It is war now. Rick needs to kill the governor and take over Woodbury

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 90% of Woodbury's population wouldn't have a problem with the Governor getting assassinated if they knew what he was really up to. However, I'm betting the situation with the Governor isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.

I wonder if Andrea would have stayed at the prison if Shane was still alive?

OC47150
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
I think the Gov's core group, like Martinez, would put up a stiff fight if something happened to the Gov, but not the general population.

Have we reached the turning point for Rick? Maybe?

Tycho
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Martinez and his "protector ilk" will have to join Rick or die.

Dealing with him will be like dealing with Shane all over again, except Martinez won't be messing around with Laurie.

I thought about the group just taking a boat and seeds to harvest crops and living on some island, but hurricanes, etc...

If they kill Walkers and survive. It's probably best to stay where they are.

I wonder how much of the world is affected by the Zombie Appocalypse?

bigbarada
02-26-2013, 12:37 AM
I wonder how much of the world is affected by the Zombie Appocalypse?

Maybe they could make a couple of spin off shows that follow the zombie apocalypse from different locations around the world? Of course, it would be a blatant milking of the concept, but I would still watch the shows if they were well done.

Kind of like all the different CSI and Law & Order shows.

I'd be surprised if this idea hadn't already been brought up at AMC at some point.

Tycho
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
There's A lot of potential depending upon the cause of the zombie apocalypse.

If A geo political thing to do to a experiment or attack on the United States, then other countries may not be affected and may not accept Rick and survivors

Tycho
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
there would probably be places in the world so isolated that the zombie apocalypse was not caught there.

If this occurred by an alien invasion then it might or might not be world wide spread.

If not other countries would give trouble to Americans like Rick. Especially where people did not fly or travel to because there is not common travel there. Those people would not be exposed to the disease.

If there is a religious reasons behind this like God's punishment it ought to be world wide spread. Or Satan's doing something like that.

Then there truly be no escape.

Unless Rick got a spaceship and became lost in space. Then he could discovered that the Geonosian Queen was behind all this

Tycho
02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Superheroes like the Hulk and Spiderman were created by genetic manipulation. They were made to soldiers could fight on healing themselves. Perhaps that experiment went wrong and revive the dead instead of making it so that they would be soldiers?

OC47150
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
there would probably be places in the world so isolated that the zombie apocalypse was not caught there

There's probably parts of darkest Africa and remote islands in the Pacific that aren't overran with zombies. At least I'd like to think so.

bigbarada
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
If not other countries would give trouble to Americans like Rick. Especially where people did not fly or travel to because there is not common travel there. Those people would not be exposed to the disease.

I would imagine that if other industrialized nations were not affected at all by the zombie plague, then they'd start firebombing large sections of the United States just to wipe out as many zombies as they could.

bigbarada
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I've been wondering what happened to Morgan although it's sad to see what his fate ended up being. I'm actually a bit surprised that he didn't go with Rick, but maybe just having Rick see someone who is crazier than he is will help him step up and be a leader to his group again.

It was definitely good to see Michonne earning Carl and Rick's trust. I never really understood why Rick was so hostile to the idea of allowing her to stay.

Did anyone actually feel bad for that hitchhiker?

OC47150
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
The conversation between Herschel and Milton about Herschel's leg was priceless.

bigbarada
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
I liked how everybody seemed to be getting along except for Rick and the Governor. Makes me think that if someone just assassinated the Governor they could all move in to Woodbury and live happily ever after. But of course that's not going to happen.

Tycho
03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
they discussed the hitchhiker on talking dead.

He could be part of a group like Randalls. They have limited resources at the prison.

OC47150
03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I was so hoping Andrea would make it. And I was hoping the Gov would've got in the warehouse, but I knew that wouldn't happen.

Tycho
03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Andrea make what? The killing of the Governor?

Yeah - there's great development there:

Michonne wants to kill him.

Glen wants to kill him for what he did to he and Maggie.

Maggie *should* want to kill him.

For Andrea it's personal to want to kill him now as well.

Actually, Rick does not necessarily have a personal agenda against the Governor. He's just a threat to Rick and has to be removed.

This reminds me of my favorite Star Trek's situation with Gul Dukat.

Dukat killed Jadzia Dax and held Kira's mother as his concubine.

Thus Worf and Kira have extremely strong motivations to take him out - for a very passionate climax - like When Worf cut Duras' head off in ST: TNG - for killng Key'lehr.

But Sisko takes down Dukat (kind of since he's the captain and star - like Rick is in Walking Dead).

What I'm getting to is that it's a more powerful impact and passionate story if Maggie kills The Governor for example

I'd take Maggie, Glen, or Andrea killing him OVER Michonne or Rick. If one of the latter two do it, they rob the first 3 of satisfaction from their vengeance.

Maggie is probably the best choice, since she's the most unlikely and least thought capable (except that he has no need for vengeance on the Governor, having Carl kill the Governor fits in with this as well).

Now Merle or Darell could do it and just be like "That's the way you get it done." But it's hardly the emotional impact of say like Ashley Judd's kill in Double Jeopardy.

Now Glen and Andrea are both killers - but the Governor got in Andrea's head and part of her used to be in love with him. It's a good personal story for her to avenge herself (Andrea) too. But Maggie would be the most surprising.

It would truly show the Governor reaping what he sowed.

bigbarada
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I really felt bad for Andrea at the end of the last episode and I think she's now at the top of my list of people that I want to see kill the Governor.

I'm actually hoping that they resolve this situation with Woodbury and not drag it out for another full season. I don't want to see the Governor continue to cheat death over and over again just because the series needs a strong, central villain. I think if that happens, then I might start to lose in interest in the show.

If the Governor dies during the season 3 finale, then I will be satisfied. If he survives into season 4, then I'm fine with that as well, as long as all the other characters stop acting like there is any other option to solve their conflict outside of killing the Governor. If the Governor survives season 4, then that will greatly depend on the circumstances surrounding his survival. As long as he doesn't continue to walk unharmed through barrages of gunfire or survive being swarmed by zombies. The show will start to lose a lot of credibility with me if the writers keep that up.

OC47150
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Anyone else notice the transition to fall in the last ep? Leaves on the trees are turning, coats are coming out.

Good points, Tycho. With only two eps left, gotta wonder if some of the major/obvious plotlines will be wrapped up or carried over to next season.

Tycho
03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm okay if the governor survived the season as in like some type of cliffhanger where he comes back for the early part of fourth season.

If Woodbury falls it will turn into something awful bloody mess!

bigbarada
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Maybe Randal's group could show up and Woodbury would find itself in the middle of a war on two fronts with the prison on one side and Randal's group on the other.

Now that I think about it, after they took so much time establishing the Governor as a villain this season, it would feel a bit premature to kill him off before season 4. Now that everyone is starting to turn against the Governor, including Milton, it will be interesting to see the Governor's support structure crumbing around him.

bigbarada
03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Sad to see Merle go and I never thought I'd say that. It's been a while since we've seen a recurring character turn. I think maybe Shane was the last one.

I'm sure it's going to affect Darryl negatively in some way, but in the long run it's best if he isn't divided between the group and his brother.

I'm looking forward to the season finale.

OC47150
03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Great ep last night. Will miss Merle. He knew how to stir the pot. I kinda think Darryl will go on a revenge kick.

Gotta wonder, with several loose plotlines floating around, how much of the storyline will continue over to next season. BB is right: too much time and great effort has been spent in developing the Gov. Although we want to see him take a bullet to the head right before the credits roll, I don't think it will happen. Starting to think more of a cliffhanger.

sith_killer_99
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Best show on TV right now. I loved the last 2 episodes, especially with Andrea trying to take out the Gov. then Merle and their ultimate fates. Wow, I just love it, seems the Gov. lives a charmed life.

bigbarada
04-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Really blown away by the season finale. I think the way they handled it with the Governor was pretty awesome. Now there is no doubt in anyone's mind that he's a sociopath. I think I was most disgusted with Martinez and that other guy, because they just stood there while the Governor shot down all those people and then they jumped in the truck with him and drove off.

Too bad about Andrea and Milton, though. Awesome to see Tyreese and his wife rejoining Rick's side and I'm guessing they cleaned out Woodbury. Time will tell if all those people will be a benefit or a hindrance to Rick's group.

Also, I think Rick really, really needs to spend some father/son time with Carl next season. He's been an absentee father for too long and it's really starting to take its toll on his son.

OC47150
04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I came away with an unsatisfied feeling. That's it? After such a great season and that's it? I wanted more. Not enough resolution for me, but hey, that's just me. I do want to see this ep again, maybe this week, maybe in a few months, to see if it's more satisfying.

I wanted to see Martinez get it just as bad as the Governor. The Gov is a psychotic egomaniac who can't come back from the edge of insanity after shooting his 'soldiers.'

Really bummed out about Andrea, but wasn't it kinda expected? Such a fighter to go out like that? If it weren't for the stab wound, I kinda expected Milton to take notes about the transformation.

The rest of Woodbury coming back to the prison was natural. Taking them in was the right thing to do.

I agre: Rick needs to be more of a father to Carl next season. When Carol ran off at the end, I half-expected to see him standing next to the fence and get bit.

Now to wait six months.

bigbarada
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I was really bothered at the beginning of the episode when it looked like Rick's group was abandoning the prison, so I guess my relief in learning that they had no plans to leave the prison overshadowed any possible disappointments. The show seemed to have a trend going. At the end of season 1 they were forced out of the CDC. At the end of season 2, they were forced to abandon the farm. So I'm glad they weren't forced to leave the prison, because it would have started to make the show feel too predictable. Now that I've just typed all that out, I realize that the writers were obviously playing off of that audience expectation.

Also, the one character I was really beginning to dislike through season 3 was Rick. He started out the season as an oppressive jerk. Then went crazy when Lori died and started alienating people left and right; so he started to become a liability to the group (Oscar died as a direct result of Rick's hallucinations). But now it seems that he's snapped out of it and is starting to go back to the character that I had so much respect for in seasons 1 and 2.

The only thing I wish we had seen was some kind of hint about where the Governor went after gunning down all of his people, since he obviously didn't got back to Woodbury right away. I really hope we get to see his reaction when he returns to Woodbury and it's a ghost town.

Tycho
04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I might have stayed in Woodbury if I was used to that. If you lived there why would you want to abandon that and come to live in the prison?

Now if I were already living at the prison and made it my home, I'd stay there.

They didn't explain something. Maybe it's a temporary evacuation of people who fear the governor will return?

OC47150
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
The Governor is definitely coming back next season.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-four-actors-promoted-series-regulars-season-015818478.html

bigbarada
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I might have stayed in Woodbury if I was used to that. If you lived there why would you want to abandon that and come to live in the prison?

Now if I were already living at the prison and made it my home, I'd stay there.

They didn't explain something. Maybe it's a temporary evacuation of people who fear the governor will return?

Well, if the place is being run by a murderous sociopath, who cares how comfortable it is? It's possible that some of them also had loved ones who had just been gunned down by the Governor; so, I don't see any reason why they would want to stay.

The Governor is definitely coming back next season.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-four-actors-promoted-series-regulars-season-015818478.html

I didn't know Sasha was supposed to be Tyreese's sister, I just assumed it was his wife. Maybe I missed a bit of dialogue somewhere? Also, I thought Beth was already a series regular.

Anyways, it's not the most shocking bit of news, but it's good to see that it's official.

Tycho
04-06-2013, 03:01 AM
I didn't gather that the Governor is coming back to Woodbury.

Obviously he is coming back to the show - but even that doesn't mean he's going to re-settle in Woodbury.

I do think you are correct: some people don't want to stay there for fear he'll return or because he killed their loved ones.

Two school busses would not transport all of Woodbury's residents to the prison though.

Meanwhile, they should not just open Woodbury to walkers (biters in their terms) and abandon it. It's too nice.

If you could somehow barricade your own (hopefully pleasant) neighborhood in the Zombie Appocalypse, you might prefer staying at home versus moving into a yucky prison.

However, the prison is safer and more secure. I really wonder how they are keeping (even backup generator) power and water running. They should visit a nuclear power plant or something in some episode. Maybe a water district building.

Or talk about shower rationing or toilet usage - not to mention drinking water aquisition.

It'd actually be amusing to see an armored truck delivering Arrowhead or Sparkletts.

bigbarada
04-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I think they said in one of the episodes that there were 70 people in Woodbury. 5 were killed in the raid to rescue Glenn and Maggie, so that's 65. Then 8 more where killed by Merle's attack. So that drops it down to 57, or 56 if you count Merle. Then subtract Andrea and Milton: 54. Then the Governor, Martinez and that third guy that ran off after the massacre: 51.

Then subtract the number of people that the Governor (and Carl) gunned down after the prison attack and there were probably only about 30-40 people left in Woodbury at the most. A school bus can hold up to 65 children, if everyone is sitting three to a seat; but that's not counting how many people you can sit on the floor.

So, I think it's completely plausible that they could have fit the remainder of Woodbury inside the vehicles they had available.

OC47151
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
A teaser pix and article from season 4, now filming in Georiga.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-walking-dead--season-4-sneak-peek--look-out-behind-you--rick---photo--195842606.html

OC47151
10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
The first ep was a little slow but built up to the second one.

I caught a little of Talking Dead afterward. Greg Nicotero was on, and he had some interesting input about #2's storyline. I'll stay spoiler-free for those who haven't watched yet.

bigbarada
10-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I think it's an interesting development to the story. It's not something that you would immediately expect, but if you really think about it, it totally makes sense: no running water which forces people to return to primitive hygiene practices and rotting dead bodies around every corner. Pretty much the perfect conditions for a plague.

OC47151
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Regarding last week's ep, I read a post on a WD board from a prison guard with 15+ years experience that the fences at his prison were a heck of a lot studier than the ones at the WD prison. The fences never would've bowed. Found that interesting.

Intriguing ep. Won't reveal more than that.

bigbarada
10-28-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't think those prison fences were designed to withstand the constant pressure of zombie hordes pushing into them for months on end. Plus, there is a lot of suspension of disbelief that is required in any zombie story to begin with. If you can accept that dead, rotting teeth are capable of penetrating human skin (not to mention the layers of clothing surrounding that skin - seriously try biting through a pair of jeans with your healthy teeth), then I don't think it's much of a stretch to accept that hordes of zombies can push down a prison fence.

I think Carol's actions are going to have some interesting consequences in the not too distant future. I wonder how Daryl is going to react when he learns what she's done. Also, I think it's genius that they've found a way to create a situation where the people in the prison feel that they would be safer outside with the zombies.

OC47151
10-28-2013, 07:28 PM
I think Carol's actions are going to have some interesting consequences in the not too distant future. I wonder how Daryl is going to react when he learns what she's done. Also, I think it's genius that they've found a way to create a situation where the people in the prison feel that they would be safer outside with the zombies.

I agree. The survivors have created a new society but what are the rules, if any? Are you gonna let Tyrese be judge and jury, or have Carol face a group of her peers?

The flu/plague outbreak is an interesting storyline. Again, they are in a fixed location with limited services (sewage, water, etc...). Something like this was bound to happen.

bigbarada
10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
I agree. The survivors have created a new society but what are the rules, if any?

It'd be interesting to see how they would punish crimes like rape or theft in this new society. I'm wondering if the show will ever touch on that. It doesn't have to be a major plot line, just something that happens on the side. Most likely they'd just put a rapist to death, but theft would probably depend on what gets stolen. I remember reading that, back in the frontier days of the United States, stealing a man's horse was a death penalty offense, because you were essentially condemning a man to die by taking his only mode of transportation. So if somebody stole another guy's car and left him stranded in the middle of nowhere to be walker-bait, then I think that would constitute a death penalty offense.

OC47151
11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, didn't see that coming.

On another board, there was discussion whether Rick should tell the others the truth about Carol. I say yes. Hiding or lying about it would only hurt them more. But it would be a good thing to wait until after the illness is over.

Tycho
11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I think Rick made a big mistake about how he handled it with Carol.

Groupthink out there predicts she'll make her way back after Tyrese is settled down and maybe she'll even save the day.

Hopefully, she survives on her own. Andrea did (with Michonne though).

But Carol and Carl are both making stronger decisions than Rick (like Shane did).

Darrel is also a leader in the group but he's been fortunate so far and hasn't had to make any controversial decisions. He handled the drinker (Brad?) fairly and didn't beat him or banish him.

"Brad(?)" will either learn to never make that mistake again, or what it means to cross Darrel.

OC47151
11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Carol made a good point about Rick. He wants to be the gentleman farmer, which he can't. He can farm, but he has to be able to step in and kill walkers. He's hesitant, too.

bigbarada
11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty confident that Carol will be back sooner rather than later. Remember Darryl left the group to go running around in the woods with his brother last season, but that only lasted for one episode.

I actually believe that Rick banished Carol for her own safety more than anything else.

OC47151
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Found this to be an uneven ep. While it was interesting to see what happened to the Gov, it really dragged to the first commercial break. Thought the scenes in the nursing home were great.

Also found the Gov's portrayal interesting: depressed about losing Woodbury, lost with no real purpose until he found the family. Regaining some of his edge, his old self in the nursing home, and then coming full-circle in the woods.

bigbarada
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm glad they took the time to develop the Governor's character a bit more. Now he doesn't seem as two-dimensional as he was starting to become at the end of last season. I find it very interesting that he might actually be going to the prison to ask for Rick's help and not necessarily to burn the place down.

bigbarada
11-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Scratch that. :D Just when I thought they might be trying to turn the Governor into a good guy.

Anyways, has anyone heard anything about the upcoming spin-off show that's scheduled for 2015? There is a lot of potential there, I think, especially if they set it on the other side of the country. Someplace that's geographically very different from Georgia. Also, I really hope it's not a prequel.

Tycho
11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Never heard about this before.

Erie places to set it would be in the redwood forest or amongst a colony of Americans that fled the zombie apocalypse to Baja California and Mexico.

bigbarada
11-27-2013, 01:49 AM
Never heard about this before.

Erie places to set it would be in the redwood forest or amongst a colony of Americans that fled the zombie apocalypse to Baja California and Mexico.

Yeah, here's one of the stories about it:
http://tvline.com/2013/09/16/walking-dead-spin-off-2015/

I think they would try to keep the show inside the US to keep production costs down. I'm actually hoping for the Albuquerque, New Mexico area. They just concluded the series Breaking Bad which was set there, so films crews would be familiar with the area and it's a radically different environment compared to Georgia. Either that or someplace up north, like Minnesota or even the New England area. As long as it doesn't feel like the show is just down the road from Rick and the gang.

OC47151
11-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Scratch that. :D Just when I thought they might be trying to turn the Governor into a good guy.

Anyways, has anyone heard anything about the upcoming spin-off show that's scheduled for 2015? There is a lot of potential there, I think, especially if they set it on the other side of the country. Someplace that's geographically very different from Georgia. Also, I really hope it's not a prequel.

The Gov is back and in charge. You can count on the Gov to bring a tank to a gunfight. ; )

Just a lot of speculation as to what the spin-off is about: new group, how the military handled the initial outbreak. The possibilities are endless at this point.

OC47151
12-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Well the mid-season finale made up for the slower eps this season.

SPOILERS....

Hate to see Hershel go. I caught a couple of minutes of Talking Dead afterward, and Chris Hardwick made a good point: Hershel was the group's moral compass. He replaced Dale in that role after Dale died. Who's gonna replace Hershel, if anyone, in that role?

But I'm glad Michonne got her revenge with the Gov.

Nice slugfest withWe Rick and the Gov.

These changes are going to propel the show into a new and interesting direction. But we have a lot of unanswered questions: where's Judith? (I don't think she's dead.) Will we see anymore of the Gov's fractured group? Is the second part of season 4 gonna be band on the run? We have to wait until February.

bigbarada
12-02-2013, 12:37 PM
SPOILERS CONTINUE…

Yeah, sucks to see Hershel killed; but it was a pivotal death for the show, meaning that nothing is going to go back to the way it was after that.

I do believe he was the moral center of the group and I liked how they showed him returning to his faith in the third season after his convictions were so seriously shaken in season 2. I don't think there will be a new moral center considering how Rick's group is essentially scattered to the winds right now, I think survival at all costs is going to be their only concern for the rest of the season.

Definitely good to see the Governor killed off. When Michonne ran him through and then walked off, I was worried because I thought someone was going to drag him away and he'd recover to harass the group again later. However, I'm glad they put an end to his story once and for all.

It seems that Lilly, the Governor's girlfriend, and Tara, her sister, are the only ones who survived from the Governor's group. I wonder if we'll see what happens to them next or if they'll join up with some of the prison refugees.

Also, I loved the scene with Lizzie and the rest of the kids. Having kids walking around carrying guns for protection is one of those major television taboos and it's good to see that the writers are willing to push that envelope over and over again. Now I'm wondering if Lizzie is going to start her own group of zombie-killing tykes. :D

I also find it interesting how Carol indirectly saved Tyrese's life in this episode, through Lizzie's actions.

So was that a dissected rat that Tyrese found just before all the crap hit the fan? What was inside Bob's shoebox? Who all was in the bus when it drove off? So much stuff to resolve in the next half of the season. February can't come soon enough.

And I agree that Judith isn't dead. I think she drove too much of the plot in season 2 and 3 (before and after she was born) for them to just kill her offscreen like that.

OC47151
12-02-2013, 02:43 PM
More SPOILER talk....

I'm thinking Lizzie or one of Carol's other girls dissected the rat. My initial guess was Carl, but that's too obvious.

I also think Lizzie or one of the girls has Judith. You know, girls have to stick together.

Lilly and Tara are two interesting loose ends.

Favorite part (which I first forgot to mention): Darryl using a walker as a shield to shoot the attackers. Classic!

bigbarada
12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
More SPOILER talk....

I'm thinking Lizzie or one of Carol's other girls dissected the rat. My initial guess was Carl, but that's too obvious.

I also think Lizzie or one of the girls has Judith. You know, girls have to stick together.

Lilly and Tara are two interesting loose ends.

Favorite part (which I first forgot to mention): Darryl using a walker as a shield to shoot the attackers. Classic!

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I wonder if Michonne has Judith. I think that scene in the prison from a few episodes back, where Michonne was holding Judith, was put there to build up to something.

I also wonder if things would have gone down differently if Carol had still been at the prison. Would she have fired the first shot and attempted to kill the Governor on sight?

Tycho
12-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I think they would try to keep the show inside the US to keep production costs down. I'm actually hoping for the Albuquerque, New Mexico area. They just concluded the series Breaking Bad which was set there, so films crews would be familiar with the area and it's a radically different environment compared to Georgia. Either that or someplace up north, like Minnesota or even the New England area. As long as it doesn't feel like the show is just down the road from Rick and the gang.

If the spin-off show is about some of the other survivors from the prison, then it might be set local. Or they could get a boat and go off into the Caribbean and have rasta-zombies!

This would be great for any writers under the influence.

What I would really like is for a show to focus on finding a cause and a cure for the zombie apocalypse. A CDC show like the episode they had with Jenner (the actor is now on The Americans on FX about Washington D.C. and FBI vs KGB agents during the Reagan years of the Cold War - really good by the way OC74151 - though you probably watch it already since we're clones. - and btw, does that make my OC74152? Or was I taken out of my maturation chamber first? I mean it could have been premature as I spend a ton of Imperial credits on action figures which signals to many I may have still not matured.)

On Kamino I think that stands for O[/B}riginalCommander, 74th Regiment. So on what planet are you deployed?

My job is inspecting the dancers in Ziro The Hutt's lair on Coruscant to make sure none of the hotties are Jedi who escaped Order66. I take them out for a ride in my TurboTank while I interview them ;)

Anyway, back to Walking Dead...

I would vote no on New Mexico, BigBarada. Were you also a fan of Breaking Bad? OC surely was.

I loved that show. I just want a new setting. But it would be funny to see the guy who was Walt's boss at the carwash all zombified with those huge eyebrows.

Gus would pretty much look like he did in his last episode though.

But I really would like to see scientists try to find out what caused and what would cure the zombie apocalypse. It could be somewhere so distant from Rick, that the environment he deals with wouldn't be changed so his show could go on.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I wonder if Michonne has Judith. I think that scene in the prison from a few episodes back, where Michonne was holding Judith, was put there to build up to something.

I also wonder if things would have gone down differently if Carol had still been at the prison. Would she have fired the first shot and attempted to kill the Governor on sight? [/b]

Michonne having Judith is a great idea.

Since WaterWorld and before and after that, back to the Jesus Christ legend, and that was borrowed from "virgin births by gods" in old mythology (and suggested it be employed for Star Wars with Anakin as well), "A child will find the way."

Perhaps Judith's blood contains the cure, or children are immune to the disease since they didn't get the original strain when everyone else did?

Walkers will eventually decay beyond surviving as Walkers, though new ones will turn all the time until everyone born before Judith is has died - and reanimated - and died again. That's where I see this heading though I don't think the comic has ever done that. It's just a stereotype that fits and is familiar mythology that is the easiest thing to sell to the fans without putting too much thought into it.

Now had Carol ever met the Governor? Depending upon what she knew and believed, and if she'd assessed the situation for herself (?) she would have shot first.

[QUOTE=OC47151;775459] stuff OC was saying....

Darryl couldn't realistically use a decaying walker body as a shield against automatic gunfire. If they thought the walker was still up, even if Darryl wore Kevlar, they'd be going for headshots on the walkers. It was cool, but I try not to think about it since that wouldn't work.

As to Lizzie, the oldest of the girls:

It had me thinking she should be in Episode 7 as Allanah Solo! She's perfect for Jacen's daughter.

Lauren Cohan might even be a cool warrior woman Empress Jaina Fel. Her British accent might be good to use too, because Jaina Solo was born on Coruscant IIRC.

Not sure how old Lauren is in real life, but Jaina should be around 32 to match up correctly with Mark, Carrie, and Harrison's ages (approximately).

Then they will NOT be re-making any EU books for 7, 8, & 9, but the continuity would be preserved.

BIGBARADA: remind me - I have some money to send you for your comic book finally! I'll probably get to it later today or tomorrow. I'll have to check our PM to see if you left me your PayPal account info.

The rest of the rat dissection thing I don't get. Maybe Carol was trying to learn about anatomy and medicine? Now that the prison's broken up, I wonder if we'll ever know? To tie up plot strings is good, planned writing though. But so is sometimes leaving an "empty death."

Who had an "empty death" in one of my favorite programs? Oh - I think it was Tasha Yar in ST: TNG. That was her line to justify going over to the Enterprise C and dying with the ship so Picard would let her leave her own ship (the Enterprise D when she had a chance to undo history - great episode "Yesterday's Enterprise."

Yes, I loved the girls using the guns.

I also like the idea of the world coming unraveled with no moral compass and showing how people and city-states survive. Very interesting.

But I loved Herschel. That was the best Talking Dead with Scott Wilson and Lauren Cohan after the show. She was crying because her TV dad's character died and I loved Maggie and Beth's reaction, pouring on the rapid-fire when Herschel went down.

I wonder if his severed head re-animated.

The flood victim zombie that came out of the ground and bit the child was awesome! It really hurt when the girl died.

I guess it was the Governor being true to his character that he lost it and started firing before he knew. To have him react that way after he saw the girl's body would be a very symmetrical parallel to Maggie and Beth's reaction and I don't think Kirkman wanted to show Maggie and Beth having anything in common with the Governor.

They did discuss on Talking Dead how the writers decided who would kill The Governor: it was decided it would be Michonne but with a great fight for Rick. And Lilly fired the final shot. In the comics, Kirkman said Lilly killed her boyfriend / Governor. But you know, Maggie and Glenn had a core to settle with him, too.

On Star Trek DS9 - my favorite - you had this situation where Gul Dukat;

- was Sisko's nemesis
- kept Kira's mom as a sex slave and always sexually harassed Kira (the daughter) too - and tried to kill Kira
- murdered Jadzia Dax - who was Worf's wife!

The Walking Dead writers discussed it should be a 1-2-3 kill (Rick, Michonne, Lilly) and it was done great!

DS9 should have done that with probably Worf making the likely fatal blow, but Sisko could still sacrifice himself to "fulfill his destiny for the Prophets" by taking Dukat out with him and into oblivion.

Kira needed to be in on that arse-kicking too. She's the weakest, so she might not be able to finish him, but stop him from killing Sisko - then Sisko comes back to dive into Dukat, right as Worf delivers a killing blow.

Sorry for the Trek stuff here, but if you guys like Trek, and ever thought of it as "guys wearing primary color shirts with no blood stains," you need to go back and watch "Dark Trek" - or DS9 and see where it goes. Best Star Trek to this date still!

Meanwhile, Judith is probably Shane's child. I believe in the comics, Carl is Rick's only child. This lets Judith live and stays with the comics even though the show deliberately doesn't do that.

Also, if Carol - and Darryl, Maggie, and Glenn were not regular comic characters, this lets fan-favorites live and "go somewhere else," so they could come back as recurring characters.

Is the Governor really dead? BTW? We didn't see Lilly's bullet splatter his brains. I get that they were probably trying to suggest that, but what if she shot Herschel's severed head on the ground, trying to eat "Phillip / Brian?"

The show is going to change dramatically without the Governor and the prison.

They might not show who was on the bus.

Maggie-Glenn-and Beth??? were not.

Tyrese was not and should be with Lizzie and the girls.

Where did Darryl go? Will he look for Carol now?

Rick and Carl are on their own.

Where is Michonne?

On Talking Dead, they discussed that the group probably has a contingency plan - like when Herschel's farm got overrun - in case the prison falls.

They might all meet up for spaghetti Tuesday (on Wednesday) after they escaped.

They showed the girl Rick found with her husband's head in a bag at the beginning of the season. You guys catch that? She killed herself to turn and be with him forever. But in walker form, she seemed to have forgotten to have a head in a bag. Haha.

Good catch that Carol training the girls with weapons saved Tyrese's life.

bigbarada
12-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I would vote no on New Mexico, BigBarada. Were you also a fan of Breaking Bad? OC surely was.

I loved that show. I just want a new setting. But it would be funny to see the guy who was Walt's boss at the carwash all zombified with those huge eyebrows.

I watched the first season and I think one episode of season 5. I'm more of a fan of the New Mexico climate than I am of the show itself.

But I really would like to see scientists try to find out what caused and what would cure the zombie apocalypse. It could be somewhere so distant from Rick, that the environment he deals with wouldn't be changed so his show could go on.

I'm hoping that's something that isn't touched on for a very long time, if ever. The 'how' and the 'why' of the zombie apocalypse is not really what this show is about. Maybe at some point a resolution will be required, but it would just be unnecessary baggage right now.

Michonne having Judith is a great idea.

Since WaterWorld and before and after that, back to the Jesus Christ legend, and that was borrowed from "virgin births by gods" in old mythology (and suggested it be employed for Star Wars with Anakin as well), "A child will find the way."

Perhaps Judith's blood contains the cure, or children are immune to the disease since they didn't get the original strain when everyone else did?

I didn't say that Judith was the "chosen one," I just said I didn't think she was dead. In fact, trying to turn her character into some kind of "messiah" would ruin the entire show. So, not sure why you are bringing that up other than the fact that you know I'm a born-again believer in Jesus Christ and you think referring to the Son of God as a "legend" will push my buttons.

Now had Carol ever met the Governor? Depending upon what she knew and believed, and if she'd assessed the situation for herself (?) she would have shot first.

She knew enough about him from Maggie and Andrea but she never saw him face to face. Which made me wonder if she would recognize the Governor if she had run into him after her banishment from the prison. A moot point now, obviously.

BIGBARADA: remind me - I have some money to send you for your comic book finally! I'll probably get to it later today or tomorrow. I'll have to check our PM to see if you left me your PayPal account info.

Yeah, I've still got a copy set aside for you and you should have my Paypal address, but if not let me know.

Tycho
12-03-2013, 03:35 AM
I watched the first season and I think one episode of season 5. I'm more of a fan of the New Mexico climate than I am of the show itself.[/b]

First, I think you are only the second person I've ever encountered who wasn't obsessed with Breaking Bad after having watched only the first, or a few episodes of that program.

I'm surprised you stopped watching. Or was there another reason that had nothing to do with the quality of the show?

I think it's fascinating how it descends a good man who thinks of others first (his family) into using his genius (and that he is almost a genius) into a criminal mastermind and show us all how far we could fall as our bad choices (with good intentions) crash up against the consequences and unhinging twists in fate to turn into a nightmare.

I am trying to write stuff like that in my own literary endeavor. I'm just fascinated by our true human nature - our strong alliance or susceptibility to our dark side - constantly at war with our good side (as seen by Walter's motives on Breaking Bad). He does all the wrong things for (what surely started) as all the right reasons with a few convenient rationalizations - and you gather what happens. The excitement comes from the dual thrills of having "a genius character" trying to figure out how to "win" and set most things right again.

Many amongst us could be Walter White or "Heisenberg."

Anyway, I spent a lot of time with him in New Mexico (on TV) and a huge Billy the Kid fan and historical and outdoors enthusiast, I've been to New Mexico and rode horses in Lincoln and fired guns on the range there. I too love the setting. I'll give you that it could be interesting for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Who knows what they'll do.

I'm hoping that's something that isn't touched on for a very long time, if ever. The 'how' and the 'why' of the zombie apocalypse is not really what this show is about. Maybe at some point a resolution will be required, but it would just be unnecessary baggage right now.

OK. Let's define what the show is about. I think we're on the same page with this, you and I:

To me the show is about surviving in the collapse of American civilization and families' struggles to survive.

They are also trying to stay true to their western / democratic culture (maybe not so much under the Ricktocracy or The Governor in Woodbury), but they would have supported trial by jury for example, as Rick had been a cop. But he just took it upon himself to banish Carol. Yet we don't like children playing with guns, but teaching Lizzie saved Tyrone's life. So everything that we came to be comfortable with as right and wrong in this world, gets turned upside down.

I don't think learning what caused the Zombie Apocalypse or how to immunize against it would stop this theme on the show. For one, there are too many walkers. For another, maybe civilization, humanity, will only continue with characters like Judith who might never turn. She just has to outlive even those as young as Carl, who will turn when he dies.

If the Zombie Apocalypse was learned to be caused by some government bio-weapon or terrorist attack from our old world, it even plays into there being a need for more fast action by the Ricktocracy for example.

But if one show delved into that, and Rick was left ignorant of it, actually either way he'd remain in the Walker World.

I didn't say that Judith was the "chosen one," I just said I didn't think she was dead. In fact, trying to turn her character into some kind of "messiah" would ruin the entire show. So, not sure why you are bringing that up other than the fact that you know I'm a born-again believer in Jesus Christ and you think referring to the Son of God as a "legend" will push my buttons.

Three things before I proceed to responding to you on this point:

1) you are my friend and I do not mean to agitate you personally.

2) it is just historical knowledge that heroes born of virgins were characters in legends brought along by western civilization since before Christ and it would be a familiar story structure to market religion with. Additionally, even our beloved Star Wars that brings us together here was accused of borrowing from it. [side note: the novel Darth Plageuis suggests that Sith Alchemy by Darth Plageuis (his expertise in bio-engineering as he was really the Muun Hego Damosk, CEO of the Muun Pharmaceutical Corp.'s parent stock-holder company Damost Holdings and took medical science beyond conventional morality by employing Sith Alchemy) bought or paid for test subjects, which were paid for or paid directly, and may have included Shmi Skywalker "There was no father..." and she might not actually know what happened to impregnate her with so many midi-chlorians. Star Wars actually works with Walking Dead there - that the zombie plague might be synthetically engineered) - but not even the novel Darth Plageuis was definitively explicit about that. Palpatine may have just hidden Anakin away if he had something to do with their capture and placement into slavery, so that his Master couldn't raise up a new young Sith to replace him. It would have to be a follow-up book -but to allow one more speculation about that - Palpatine was being groomed to be able to take control of the Republic as a politician. Plagueis as Hego Damosk was already a "Donald Trump" figure in the galaxy. Not exactly sure what Plageuis' final plan was. But Sith apprentices are supposed to kill their masters. It was finally revealed that Palpatine was working on recruiting Dooku. In the meanwhile, Dooku knew of Dathomir and suggested Maul as a pawn, just like his brother Savage Opress became one. The women were more powerful on Dathomir, so Dooku took Ventress as insurance for himself. And Dooku was a popular business figure like a Rockefeller and worked his way into being the Separatist (CIS) leader, so if he and his droids won the war, he could kill Palpatine and be Dark Lord.

This is why Maul did not have Force lightning etc. They told him he was a "Darth" but he was actually not a Sith Lord to be (just an apprentice to be sacrificed - though Obi-Wan obliged much more prematurely than the Sith Master had planned). Read "Darth Plagueis. James Luceno is the best Star Wars author by a long shot!

Anyway, the historical employ of "heroes" from virgin births (you'll have to research this to learn if it was Ulysses, Gilgamesh, etc.) all pre-date Christian civilization. It is just history and not meant to provoke you.

I am not looking for a religious debate right now - even IN the Rancor Pit, where we are not.

To bring this back to The Walking Dead, it is just a literary / legendary / fictional device used in familiar story-telling patterns and Judith is the only child on WD that I can name who was born AFTER the Zombie Apocalypse.

To close this point, in terms of the writers on staff of WD, some might be believers like yourself, others might not be. I think having both contributes to a show portraying survivors from all walks of life.

Herschel was a great Christian character who held to his beliefs, abandoned them when his zombie wife was shot by Shane, and then returned to them for great grounding inspiration of a moral-compass character. It obviously enriched the WD to have him in the cast. I loved Herschel!

Just like on the show, we have to tolerate all points of view. Many on the show, Rick and Andrea for examples, do not seem to be believers. At least Rick returns to faith out of tradition and desperation some times - like in the church that they found before they found Herschel's farm. But this is a mystery that confounds many of us that cannot make a unilateral decision that "what's in the Bible is just the literal (or approximate) way it is.

3) That being said, as Christmas comes around every year, and the hypocrisy of the people allegedly "celebrating it," (historically timed for the Winter Solstice celebration in Paganism by the (historical) way - another marketing point as to survive birth in the manger, Jesus would likely have been born in the summer time if he was ever a living being and one individual and legends weren't combined - like a virgin birth through a ministry through a crucifixion after a trial pre-determined to free a murderer rather than upset the status quo of the Pharisees and Sadducees) - is all part of a semi-annual provocation of me. Not so much a "war on Christmas," for me personally, but a war on education, critical thinking, and smart voting by the masses. I spent Thanksgiving Dinner with my uncle's clients he invited to his "Republicans Only" country club where these rich guys with their 2nd or 3rd trophy wives they left the mothers of their children for, and talked about combining their money to overthrow my state's two more liberal Senators and how they were using wedge issues like ObamaCare paying for abortions and birth control to upset the faithful. These guys might go to church somewhere, but they are not faithful. That was evident since their new wives are my age and they are in their 70's and have kids older than their wives (ask me how I just got a private viewing box for the San Diego Chargers for the rest of the season - pictures provided next home game!). I just hate the hypocrisy. My own too, since now I can take dates to a private box at Qualcomm Stadium if I keep my mouth shut about the who these people are. But it must be said that YOU and everyone reading this patronizes these people's corporate interests without exception. My uncle is a major player in this country's finances and these are our top business leaders. Everyone else in our small family is dead, so he makes it a point to fill the table at his country club - but for whatever it's worth, they bought the loyalty of the US Marines by inviting them, too. (i.e. why the military overwhelmingly votes Republican - and I do not think Thanksgiving Dinner should incorporate oil futures discussions and "what we are going to do about Iran" when these guys own the weapon supply companies too, and can bankroll the politicians into Congress that will make the decisions they want them to. And my own uncle has told me he can get me elected if that's what I want to do, but I have to change political parties. Sorry. It just makes me so mad! And last but not least, these gentlemen are descendants of our country's great historical figures. It just seems to me that a war against Christianity is actually a war FOR what Jesus actually stood up for. Ghandi said something like, "I love your Jesus, but it's his followers that I cannot stand."

Anyway, enough of that. I'm just saying that making Judith a "Chosen One" figure on Walking Dead follows a pattern in crafting traditional legacies that has been successfully swallowed for generations. Maybe WD employs it. Maybe they'll surprise us and not.

That she was born after the Apocalypse is something different about Judith from all the other characters. Note: Judith will not be the sole "Chosen One." They won't go directly there. I'm sure others - a new generation - will rise with her. Perhaps years after the show has gone on. We might see WD: TNG some day. Since we love this show, it's not a bad idea.

[Quote}Yeah, I've still got a copy set aside for you and you should have my Paypal address, but if not let me know. I'm checking my PM and your PayPal address as soon as I hit "send" on this post. I think you'll see my money by the end of this week even if it doesn't post instantaneously.

Thank you for your patience. I look forward to reading it. I believe this could be your first and only issue. No doubt I'll have questions about a sequel chapter that I'll send you in PM in probably several weeks, after I've paid, received, and done some reading.

OC47151
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Carl's gonna need therapy. And an exercise program after eating 120 ounces of chocolate pudding.

Nice backstory on Michonne. Liked how she went all Seven Samurai on the herd.

bigbarada
02-12-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm guessing that Carl and everyone else at the prison has been borderline malnurished for months now, so that giant can of pudding will likely be burned up by his youthful metabolism pretty quickly.

I actually thought Rick might be dead for a few minutes there and they did a good job of fooling me in the episode. I'm just glad that Carl lost his nerve at the last moment or Rick really would have been dead. Now that Michonne has found them I wonder what they'll do. Will they try to look for other survivors or just strike out on their own?

Also, I'm not convinced that Judith is really dead. For a while I thought Michonne might have picked her up, but that obviously didn't happen.

OC47151
02-12-2014, 07:02 AM
After his royal rumble with the Gov, Rick was in bad shape. I was surprised he got as far as he and Carl did with Rick gimping along. So sleeping was the best thing for him.

Not for a second do I think Judith's dead. I think one of those resourceful people grabbed her and she's on the bus that we last saw taking off down the road. I predict she'll show up near the end of the season, as will Carol. Just have a feeling that everyone will reunite near the end of the season, just as winter sits in.

OC47151
02-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Two of the mid-seasons big questions were revealed this week. And some new characters revealed, too.

I won't say anymore than that.

bigbarada
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Good episode and I think everyone is pretty much accounted for now.

Lizzie is really starting to creep me out. When little kids can just kill animals with no remorse whatsoever, it's a huge warning sign that they could become a sociopath or even a serial killer later on in life. That's not even mentioning her attempt to smother Judith.

I don't know anything about this Abraham guy and I guess I'd prefer to be kept in the dark for now.

Tycho
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I like Lizzie. The actress playing her is great. I'd nominate her for Allanah Solo casting if that storyline ever survives to the ST.

(Jacen's daughter, raised by Han and Leia, with Han in the "Uncle Owen" role of - "not another Jedi in the family!")

Anyway, the girl's a good actress regardless.

This is not a world where kids keep cute animals as pets. I guess she wanted decaying walkers with name tags? Whatever.

In any case, if there is a new generation of humans who'd turn out like Michonne and Darryl, Lizzie gets my vote!

The return of another older lady character was great to see though. Wonder if Tyrone will ever learn the truth?

Can't wait to see Michonne with Rick and Carl again.

Will Darryl go for Maggie's little sister now that the two of them are all alone? This is not a world where there are statutory laws and the whole point of the show is to demonstrate there is a new moral compass out there. And we don't know if Darryl will be reunited with someone else either.

I've re-evaluated who is best able to survive: Darryl still - because he knows how to track, forage, hunt, and hide.

Michonne is a better fighter because Darryl can run out of arrows in a huge fight like when Michonne took out all those walkers at close range.

If the two of them got back together, they'd be unstoppable. My bet is that maybe they won't so the walkers can still be a threat, though a large herd could still overwhelm Michonne.

OC47151
02-20-2014, 07:25 AM
One question I have is, how long was Carol gone? Carol made it sound like it was only a couple of days, like 2 or 3.

For Sons of Anarchy fans, one ep more or less equals one day, but I can't get grasp if that's the same on TWD.

bigbarada
02-20-2014, 08:03 AM
I like Lizzie. The actress playing her is great. I'd nominate her for Allanah Solo casting if that storyline ever survives to the ST.

(Jacen's daughter, raised by Han and Leia, with Han in the "Uncle Owen" role of - "not another Jedi in the family!")

Anyway, the girl's a good actress regardless.

Yeah, the actress playing her is doing a great job. In fact, I don't have any complaints with any of the child actors in this show so far. I guess some directors just know how to direct children to get great performances out of them. It's too bad those directors never seem to be working on projects where the strength of the child actor can sink the entire project (like Anakin in Ep1).

One question I have is, how long was Carol gone? Carol made it sound like it was only a couple of days, like 2 or 3.

For Sons of Anarchy fans, one ep more or less equals one day, but I can't get grasp if that's the same on TWD.

I think the last two episodes are supposed to be taking place within a few hours of the Governor's attack. Rick had just gotten around to informing Daryl about Carol before the Governor showed up on their doorstep, so it's possible that it's only been a couple of days since Carol was "banished".

bigbarada
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Will Darryl go for Maggie's little sister now that the two of them are all alone? This is not a world where there are statutory laws and the whole point of the show is to demonstrate there is a new moral compass out there. And we don't know if Darryl will be reunited with someone else either.

I don't think this is a line that the show will cross, since the characters still need to be appealing to an audience where those morals are still very much in place. I know it seems kind of strange when we have a show that features so much graphic violence, but showing a grown man becoming sexually involved with an underage girl would be crossing the line for many people in the audience.

Tycho
02-21-2014, 09:17 AM
I don't think this is a line that the show will cross, since the characters still need to be appealing to an audience where those morals are still very much in place. I know it seems kind of strange when we have a show that features so much graphic violence, but showing a grown man becoming sexually involved with an underage girl would be crossing the line for many people in the audience.

I would reluctantly agree (sort of).

I don't know how old Maggie's younger sister is supposed to be. If Maggie was supposed to have been college age, I take it that her sister was at least 15-16 when we met her, and will be the "audience approved" legal age as the show progresses if she survives being eaten by walkers.

That being said, "legal age of consent" in Georgia is 16, but yeah, you are correct in what the show would allow for a cross-state audience where most viewers live in an 18-and-up environment.

Next, though, true to the characters, Darryl might be interested for "a man's physical need," but this girl who's not a natural fighter / survivor would not really be his type. That's what attracted Darryl to the growing strength shown by Carol, and also having more in common with Carol's more country simpleton background (OK - I was going to say white trash) versus Herschel Greene's family members (yes country) but more formal, religious, background.

The only way it would happen is if the younger Greene sister decided she wanted to seduce Darryl. He's got his own code of honor it seems and would protect her (maybe even reluctantly since she's not up to his caliber as a fighter) but would not initiate.

If the youngest Greene survives for longer on the show (and she's not that interesting IMO - not compared to Maggie for sure!), then maybe.

It would return us to the inverse of when Rick comes back to find Shane with Laurie.

Instead, Carol returns to find Beth with Darryl.

Not as interesting I think - but maybe since Carol has taken it upon herself to take "Shane steps" to protect the group from those that were sick and would turn.

She has to have a reckoning with Tyrese first.

But finally, if the Zombie Appocalypse were realistically portrayed to its greatest extent, people would hook up because their partners would be "the last person on earth...." LOL

OC47151
03-17-2014, 07:59 AM
What an episode!! Shocking! WOW!!!

Not gonna say anything else until everyone's had a chance to watch.

bigbarada
03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
It seems that most of season 4 was building up to this one episode. Now that all of the secrets have been revealed, I'm wondering what's left for the last two episodes to do aside from reunite the cast and set up season 5? I guess it would be nice to know what happened to Beth, too.

Definitely a great episode though. I thought the mid-season finale was the best episode of the season so far, but this one definitely trumps it and is probably one of the best episodes of the entire series.

Tycho
03-18-2014, 06:28 AM
I agree.

I love it when cable shows leave no holds barred and address some serious issues like they are here.

1) mental illness cannot be coddled to in a dog-eat-dog survivalist world. The defenseless / innocent have to be protected, but there's no where to hospitalize or leave the disturbed to be cared for. Abandoning / banishing them might prove impossible.

The difference between the two characters in that shocking scene couldn't be greater. Each were killers. Tyrese saw that the one he thought he'd hate was actually the one that was sane!

Great exploration of this duality.

2) For whatever reason, blood, guts, and violence can go "adult" but complicated sexual issues can't be taken too far (notable exception with The Governor and Andrea - full soft-nudity and Maggie - threatened but never-acted-upon rape).

The issue with Beth should be fully explored. Age of consent has no meaning in this world and while that age varies in the United States between various states from 13 with parent approval - Kentucky - to 18 in general with I believe a handful at 16 - Beth is 17 btw - there is no government in Walking Dead. All that is over. Age of Consent is law (true) but set around "advised arbitress" because individuals mature differently. Beth is all over the map like most young people - wants to try drinking in the other episode, etc.

All of them have to use guns and kill walkers and often even the living that prey on others - like the Governor's armies or individuals that go bad.

I hope Beth is not being held hostage and abused by some marauding band of men (like the group Darryl's infiltrated but surely won't stay with). If she hooks up with Darryl when he finds her (and he's 20 years or more older I imagine?) that's alright. Darryl is a good person if "different because of his upbringing."

Walking Dead should address that - and as well - if they want to get really warped - sex with walkers (uh - new ones, not decayed ones - gross!!! - but gross anyway). And this would only be done by someone mentally twisted but in a manner where they are not bitten or scratched.

Finally, I think Judith will not turn. Why? It's the whole "A child will find us the way" type of thing - like WaterWorld but playing off of the whole Baby Jesus thing, too.

Humanity's hope for beating the dead-plague is probably that kids CONCEIVED after the apocalypse don't turn. Judith won't. Karl will.

So I'd have this sick doctor - like Mendel the Nazi doctor, killing babies to see if they'll turn. Rick or Michonne - or Carol - will have to put him down. But he'll be like "Yeah - newborns don't carry the disease any more. I've killed 26 of them so far and none of them has turned."

They say that Nazi medicine based on experiments on living prisoners furthered science. Walking Dead should take a (sick) page from that.

It doesn't ruin the show by "curing" the zombie apocalypse. It doesn't change anything, since they want to protect Judith anyway and still have to survive. They can pursue "cures" so adults won't turn from Atlanta to el Dorado if it furthers the show. Maybe even try to use Judith's blood to make a cure. They won't discover immortality though.

actually, an experiment to achieve immortality could also be how all this got started. That would be interesting comparing it to religion and how some people want an eternal life in their perfect form. This instead of it being bio-warfare, a government accident, an act of terrorism, or an alien affliction from an extra-terrestrial source.

OC47151
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
1) mental illness cannot be coddled to in a dog-eat-dog survivalist world. The defenseless / innocent have to be protected, but there's no where to hospitalize or leave the disturbed to be cared for. Abandoning / banishing them might prove impossible.

The difference between the two characters in that shocking scene couldn't be greater. Each were killers. Tyrese saw that the one he thought he'd hate was actually the one that was sane!

I hope Beth is not being held hostage and abused by some marauding band of men (like the group Darryl's infiltrated but surely won't stay with). If she hooks up with Darryl when he finds her (and he's 20 years or more older I imagine?) that's alright. Darryl is a good person if "different because of his upbringing.

Lizzie lost her grasp of reality long before this season started. BigBarada's right: this season has been building to something shocking/disturbing/thought-provoking as this episode. Herschel's death was shocking but not as this. Herschel was a fan-fave, and you half-expected something to happen to him. But Lizzie and Mika? No. Their deaths were out of the blue.

The Beth storyline is interesting. I see Beth's relationship with Darryl more of a crush than romance. They need each other to survive, and not in the romantic/sexual sense. As to whom the friendly stranger in the black sedan is, I dunno. Part of me wants to say it was a kind-hearted soul helping her out, but the other part of me wants to think it was more devious. And I don't know if it will be resolved with just two eps left this season.

Darryl and the marauders. Surprised with having seen more groups like this. And I'm basing that on movies like the Road Warrior and the post-apocalyptic literature out there. They're out there, but just haven't seen them.

Tycho
03-20-2014, 04:04 AM
I hope that doesn't mean they (and Darryl) will start dressing in bondage leathers like the Mad Max movies.

Then if some die, there will be bondage zombies.

No. Let's not go there.

OC47151
03-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I hope that doesn't mean they (and Darryl) will start dressing in bondage leathers like the Mad Max movies.

Then if some die, there will be bondage zombies.

No. Let's not go there.

Admit it, Tycho: you want to see the redneck version of Humongous.

I have to admit, I got a little verklempt during the Maggie and Glenn reunion.

From what I've read, Terminus wasn't in the comics but something created for the show. But what is it? Hmmm, inquiring minds want to know. I have a few ideas.

Still think there's a lot of loose ends to wrap up in one ep. Thinking it won't happen.

And I have a hard time thinking that the man with the mullet is the savior of the zombie outbreak.

Tycho
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Porter, The mullet man is a fraud. Abraham is just not a thinker so he follows him

OC47151
03-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Intense episode. A few clues as to what Terminus is.

I won't say more than that, give everyone else a chance to watch.

bigbarada
03-31-2014, 04:17 PM
I hope Carl didn't eat any of the BBQ that Tasha Yar gave him before Rick caught on. :eek:

Tycho
04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Do you think they were BBQ'ing the dead? Is that where the food was coming from?

In any case:

1) Never thought they'd go into suggested child rape (which Rick prevented) but I liked being shocked by this even darker turn for TWD. Yes, it was very uncomfortable to watch. That's the idea. You don't forget!

2) Rick and his "appetite!" Wow. All I can say is that was awesome!

3) Terminus - BigB, I think you understand it better than I do (Your insight is welcome!) But those people will not be able to handle themselves against TWD's "A-Team." I wonder if they'll use a new "war" to kill some characters next season? I don't think the zombies can ever kill our group now - after Darryl escaped that funeral home 2 episodes ago?!

4) Now I think Beth (instead of being kidnapped for rape) might have been rescued from the funeral home as it could have been a trap for people to be taken to Terminus.

5) Terminus - with all its signs out there - and it being a definite bad place (did you hear the screams for help coming from the cattle cars?) - needs to be destroyed. To me it represents the Sodom & Gomorrah of TWD world. (I doubt I'm wrong.)

6). I still think Judith is a key.

She was conceived after the zombie apocalypse. Maybe it only affected those that breathed something in the air at that particular time? Like a bio-weapon gone haywire?

There is no cure for those that turn. But maybe Judith and those conceived afterward never will? (A Child Will Lead.... - WaterWorld, but also Christian mythology - not to mention SW did it with The Chosen One.) There's always that...and deferring to a child to lead is always a safe way for other "apostle types" to gather power for themselves as the caretaker-types (China and Japan's empires for example - even led us into WWII with Japan).

Anyway, Carl's role will eventually be his sister's protector. My prediction. Everyone else will someday turn.

bigbarada
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Seeing the pile of bones, stripped of all flesh, that Rick, Michonne and Carl ran past made me think of cannibalism. Then seeing that the group had been herded into train cars with evidence that they were being fed while in there (the trash on the ground that Rick saw as he walked in), kinda of reinforced that notion.

Supposedly, they do encounter a group of cannibals in the comic (even though Terminus was never in the comic), but I don't know the details of that since I've never read the comic. However, I think there is much more to Terminus than just a bunch of cannibals. I still don't know what to make of the room they discovered with all the candles.

Even if Judith turned out to not be affected because of being born after the apocalypse, how would they ever know that without killing her at this point? Unless they stumble upon a doctor or scientist who would have the tools necessary to test her blood and actually know what he was looking for.

Well, there is Eugene I guess, but he doesn't even know Judith exists at this point. Plus, some people spoiled some info about Eugene from the comic books on a different forum, but I'm not sure if I want to pass on those potential spoilers.

bigbarada
04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I was reading through the threads about how bad the "How I Met Your Mother" finale was and it got me thinking. Obviously TWD can't last forever, so I wonder if they have a finale planned already or if they're just going to play it by ear when the time comes. What would you guys like to see in terms of a series finale for Walking Dead?

One thing I know I do NOT want to see is an "everybody dies" scenario. Mainly because that would make everything that came before seem totally pointless. That ending might work for a zombie movie (like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead), but it's different when you've invested years into a character instead of just a couple of hours. Also I don't want to see an ending like George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, where you watch a character survive all kinds of hardships throughout the story only for them to get killed off almost randomly in the last few seconds of the film (I understand Romero was making a statement with that ending, but again the audience will feel cheated if they've been following that character for years).

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a happy ending to the series, where they cure the infection, or at least learn to control it, and the survivors of the show can start rebuilding some semblance of a normal life for themselves. Which would probably be extremely difficult, because they are all likely suffering from some level of post-traumatic stress disorder and if the entire world went back to some semblance of normalcy, it would probably take them years to readjust to the quiet… some of them would probably never be able to live a normal life again.

In fact, there might be a few episodes worth of interesting stories to tell about how the survivors start to rebuild after the zombie apocalypse is over. Or maybe just a 2-hour finale.

Star Trek Voyager is a good example of a high-concept series with a really good happy ending finale, so it can be done. M*A*S*H would be another example of a happy ending finale and that's considered one of the best series finales of all time.

Oh yeah, and let's not have Rick waking up from his coma at the end of the series with Lori, Carl and Shane at his bedside and he tells them, "I had this really terrible dream…" then the screen fades to black. :D

Lord Malakite
04-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I was reading through the threads about how bad the "How I Met Your Mother" finale was and it got me thinking. Obviously TWD can't last forever, so I wonder if they have a finale planned already or if they're just going to play it by ear when the time comes. What would you guys like to see in terms of a series finale for Walking Dead?

One thing I know I do NOT want to see is an "everybody dies" scenario. Mainly because that would make everything that came before seem totally pointless. That ending might work for a zombie movie (like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead), but it's different when you've invested years into a character instead of just a couple of hours. Also I don't want to see an ending like George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, where you watch a character survive all kinds of hardships throughout the story only for them to get killed off almost randomly in the last few seconds of the film (I understand Romero was making a statement with that ending, but again the audience will feel cheated if they've been following that character for years).
I have found, to me anyway, that the only real way you can have any sort of truly satisfying ending when it comes to a "post apocalyptic/after the end" scenario without it being a downer ending (aka they all die) or the story also being considered a "time travel" scenario is to leave the story open ended for the reader's imagination/interpretation. You can have some semblance of closure or a happy ending by having whatever the immediate threat is eliminated (like say the governor), establishing a new safe haven to take refuge (like the prison), and/or offering some optimistic view/hope for the better tomorrow (like Terminator 2's road to an unknown future ending), but the underlying cause of the "post apocalyptic/after the end" scenario can't be flat out stated to have been eliminated in its entirety. It would come off as being unbelievable just to hand wave it off like that. To attempt to tie everything up in such a "nice package and fancy bow" would make for too saccharine of a "happy ending" and "deus ex machina".

bigbarada
04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah, if they did come up with a cure it would have to be something that they spent at least a full season building up to. Of course, what would the cure be exactly? They can't help those people who have already turned, but they can prevent the living from turning after they die. Even if they did that, however, it doesn't end the apocalypse, since there is no longer an infrastructure to society that would mean that there is no way to mass-produce the cure or even distribute it to everyone. So they could conceivably have a working cure for a whole season or more without it doing anybody much good at all, except for the small group of people that have direct possession of it.

On top of all that, even if they did manage to cure everybody, they've still got potentially millions of zombies roaming around. So coming up with a cure doesn't automatically end the series.

But I do think the series needs to come to some kind of resolution at the end.

Tycho
04-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Seeing the pile of bones, stripped of all flesh, that Rick, Michonne and Carl ran past made me think of cannibalism. Then seeing that the group had been herded into train cars with evidence that they were being fed while in there (the trash on the ground that Rick saw as he walked in), kinda of reinforced that notion.

Yes. And Rick took a bite out of "Joseph?'s" neck when he saved Carl. I'm sure he spit instead of swallowed (hehe) but it might have been foreshadowing. These people's notions of ethics are being compromised at every turn. They've dealt with the taboo topic of sex (sort of) as what was about to happen to Carl took THAT as far as it needs to go as far as I'm concerned (unless there's an "age of consent" question with Beth in a romantic way with Darryl - except she's nearly 18 and "legal age" in some states (16 or as young as 13-14 with parental consent and marriage - Kentucky - etc). But Darryl and Carol make a better couple and I don't think Beth is cut out to survive in this world. Darryl realizes that I'm sure, but he will try to keep her alive anyway (and it's Darryl - so he may very well succeed). But Carol is so much a better match for Darryl - and the age difference actually has VERY LITTLE to do with it. It's a personality type thing.

Supposedly, they do encounter a group of cannibals in the comic (even though Terminus was never in the comic), but I don't know the details of that since I've never read the comic. However, I think there is much more to Terminus than just a bunch of cannibals. I still don't know what to make of the room they discovered with all the candles.

People invent religion and traditions to justify some code of "morality" if they need it to move on with however they're living. Remember, human sacrifices were part of some religions. I suspect that the candles and memorials are to people the Terminus bunch EAT!

Yes, they honor their food.

Native Americans did this with the deer / moose they killed. They say they were sorry to kill and hope the animal's great spirit returned to the Greater Spirit (giver of life). They respected the food chain cycle.

I think the Terminus residents do practice cannibalism. And they sort of "honor their prey" with those memorials.

I do not think they're above raping their prey either. More on that in a second.

Even if Judith turned out to not be affected because of being born after the apocalypse, how would they ever know that without killing her at this point? Unless they stumble upon a doctor or scientist who would have the tools necessary to test her blood and actually know what he was looking for.

They might be killing babies to test their theory. This is a depraved world and children have little hope to survive in it (we've seen). As there are very sick and reprehensible acts (that memorable and good "no-holds barred" fiction explores - namely whatever's taboo or controversial) this post-birth abortion for the sake of science might be a great angle to explore.

Babies killed - but NOT BITTEN - and they might feed a baby to a zombie to test that theory too in a really sick scene - might not turn.

Thus the obvious conclusion to save the HUMAN race - is continuous breeding. They might have sex slaves or surrogate mothers / fathers based on genetic selection. (Darryl's a survivor - wonder how he'd like being a stud? Maybe he's to be bred with Beth and that's how they find her and rescue her - but NO Darryl would not rape her! However, Beth seems to be infatuated with him. It could be consensual. However I just discussed how she's a bad match for him and if Carol could birth a new child with Darryl - that would really help bring Carol's character full-circle since she lost Sophia and had to put down Lizzy - and Carol (we know!) can protect children.

Anyway, this is cable TV - an opportunity to do "depraved" story-telling. I write my novels (since they are novels and would work best as cable shows or R-rated movies) to be in line with that. I like entertainment that makes one think. It can be G-rated, but it would depend on the subject matter. An on-going series can often explore ALL subject matter.

Well, there is Eugene I guess, but he doesn't even know Judith exists at this point. Plus, some people spoiled some info about Eugene from the comic books on a different forum, but I'm not sure if I want to pass on those potential spoilers.

Maybe don't spoil it here. But I'm still thinking Eugene Porter is a fraud. Sgt. Slaughter there will follow him anywhere because he's stupid but a good fighter type. When Rick and Darryl meet Porter, he'll be re-evaluated. But the season ended for this year.

Tycho
04-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Cause and "re-birth."

I don't want there to be a cure. Rick and Darryl, Michone - will all "turn." Either in old age or glorious sacrifice, they'll have to take one in the head.

Carl will survive long enough to raise Judith - who will not turn, along with a new generation, and maybe Carl will find a girl and have his own child.

But Judith and Carl's child will have to be trained to kill their parents before they turn one day.

The zombie population will eventually rot its way into oblivion as corpses fall apart, and the "biting body-less heads" will eventually experience brain decay and stop biting.

No. See above. And Carl will go through a huge character arc if he eventually has to kill Michonne, Darryl, and his father.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a happy ending to the series, where they cure the infection, or at least learn to control it, and the survivors of the show can start rebuilding some semblance of a normal life for themselves. Which would probably be extremely difficult, because they are all likely suffering from some level of post-traumatic stress disorder and if the entire world went back to some semblance of normalcy, it would probably take them years to readjust to the quiet… some of them would probably never be able to live a normal life again.

No. They have a chance to make a serious point about government bio-weapon engineering or terrorism here, or even some experiment for achieving immortality that back-fired. I hope they take that route. To finish making that point, it has to have tragedy.

If the children conceived after the apocalypse can survive without turning (Judith) Carl's kid, a kid with Darryl and Carol (or Beth - or both if Darryl gets around), can build a better future, where we hope they don't repeat that mistake - that'd give hope.

Rick, Michonne, maybe a few others - will survive into the last season or even the last episode.

Star Trek Voyager is a good example of a high-concept series with a really good happy ending finale, so it can be done. M*A*S*H would be another example of a happy ending finale and that's considered one of the best series finales of all time.

No. A thought-provoking ending like many singular Star Trek episodes. Like when Dr. Pulaski discovered the children that were bio-engineered on that research station, but had to live in quarantine because they were deadly to their creators and caused them to age and die rapidly (ST TNG season 2).

I hope you didn't have an Ewok celebration in mind for the ending to Walking Dead? LOL (where even the zombies learn to sing and they perform "We Are Family" all lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and kick-dance until their rotting legs fall off).

Oh yeah, and let's not have Rick waking up from his coma at the end of the series with Lori, Carl and Shane at his bedside and he tells them, "I had this really terrible dream…" then the screen fades to black.

It makes the series pointless.

Now I'd like to dedicate my response here to The Dark Side of the Force.

[This response is unaffiliated with any official Sith doctrine, but solely the opinion of Tycho, an individual Dark Sider.]

bigbarada
04-07-2014, 03:58 PM
No. They have a chance to make a serious point about government bio-weapon engineering or terrorism here, or even some experiment for achieving immortality that back-fired. I hope they take that route. To finish making that point, it has to have tragedy.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to see this show turned into some kind of political statement. I think that would cheapen it.

I hope you didn't have an Ewok celebration in mind for the ending to Walking Dead? LOL (where even the zombies learn to sing and they perform "We Are Family" all lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and kick-dance until their rotting legs fall off).

Not at all. Just because I say that I would like to see a happy ending to the series, that doesn't mean that everyone needs to be happy at the ending of the series. It just needs to end with a few survivors and give us some glimmer of hope for the future. That's it.

Like I've said before, even if they cure the infection, they still have millions of zombies to deal with. The population of the state of Georgia is over 9 million people. So, even if not everyone was infected and they were able to kill about 500 zombies per day, it would still take them decades to clear out just that one state. So, curing the infection doesn't end the danger.

Tycho
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
But the zombies are dead bodies. They rot and fall apart. Eventually brain rot would stop their function

Lord Malakite
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM
But the zombies are dead bodies. They rot and fall apart. Eventually brain rot would stop their function
Assuming of course zombies rot in the same traditional sense/rate as normal corpses. Rot is a result of physical/chemical decomposition brought on by insects and microbes. Whatever turned them might also give them some amount of rot resistance to traditional decomposing insects and microbes. Heck, the extreme temperatures of Summer (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly_p2.html) and Winter (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly_p3.html) should of did a number of them in if they were like traditional corpses, yet we've been shown that they have been able to survive both just fine.

Tycho
04-09-2014, 02:56 AM
We have not seen zombies in the snow. Cartoons characters have iPod the size that it would be safer for them

Lord Malakite
04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
We have not seen zombies in the snow.
True, but when season 3 picks up we are told that winter has come and went (off screen) since the end of season 2. Yet the zombies show no ill effects of extreme cold come the beginning of season 3.

Tycho
04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Those could be new zombies though. As far as we know anyone conceived and birth before the zombie apocalypse is going to turn.

Lord Malakite
04-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Those could be new zombies though.
Some maybe, but certainly not all of them. Michonne's two pet Walkers are proof of that.

As far as we know anyone conceived and birth before the zombie apocalypse is going to turn.
As far as we know anyone conceived and birth after the zombie apocalypse is going to turn.

bigbarada
04-10-2014, 03:40 AM
There was that zombie who had been dead so long that he had practically grown into a tree, last season. So I think the zombie in this series will go on for a very long time until they are put down.

However, I think there are certain laws of reality that have to be swept aside if we are to accept the premise of a zombie apocalypse. For one, brain rot would be only part of their problems, because their eyes would shrivel up within hours after the walkers stop blinking, their ear canals and nasal passages would clog with dirt and debris, and their teeth would fall out because of their decaying gums. This would render them unable to see, hear, smell or bite. So we just have to accept that the zombies in this show operate by the rules that the writers decide on, not the rules of nature. In reality, a zombie apocalypse would take care of itself long before anybody had time to panic.

Tycho
04-10-2014, 12:32 PM
BigBarada, why did you have to tell me that AFTER I had made all these great plans to cut people's arms and teeth out and purchased the chains I was going to drag them around with me on?

It's true that we don't know how long they take to rot and fall apart - like the one grown into a tree. I think the timeline on the show has not let a whole year or at least not 2 pass. Yeah, 2 I think. In spite of the TV SHOW going on into its 5th year now (I think).

Lord Malakite, you are right that those conceived and born AFTER the apocalypse could turn, but we don't know that yet. I'd like to explore that there's something special about the new humans besides different kinds of walkers myself.

Also BigB: we never saw Michonne's Walkers trip and fall over. They can't talk or presumably they'd tell her "I've fallen and I cannot get up." So did she have to walk around and straighten them up from time to time?

If the Zombie Appocalypse happened in the Back to the Future timeline, would there be those floating leash handles that walked dogs for use in walking walkers?

But also, if the brain is only driven to bite and devour when it reanimates the body, walkers that fall down should crawl even if there was NOTHING wrong with their legs yet. They WOULD NOT KNOW how to stand up!

Yes. If this show was more realistic, they'd rename it The Crawling Dead.

I think we should both stop with the myth busting thing now. We're ruining it for everyone else. LOL

OC47151
10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Go, Carol, Warrior Princess! Kicking butt, blowing things up and taking no names!!!

Kinda expected the writers and producers to stretch the Terminus storyline out just a little longer.

Tycho
10-16-2014, 05:34 PM
I watched Talking Dead afterward, (Special Guest Conan O'Brien) plus the writer and director, and they discussed how the show had previously settled at the prison and before that, Herschel's Farm, and they wanted to be surprising and action-packed for the fans and keep the group on the run more this season instead of doing a longer stay at Terminus.

I think that's very cool. Another long stay in a great environment like the prison could be done one or more seasons down the road, but the change of pace is fun.

Yes, Carol!!! She has become the unexpected awesome character.

Michonne could almost be the best survivor, because her sword doesn't need to re-load.

Darryl knows how to forage for food and can out-maneuver even a mortuary full of walkers though (and he can craft bow and arrows if his commercial-processed crossbow runs out of arrows he can recover for it).

Rick - a gun man, is much more useless, but it is HIS story more-or-less, and he is proving he can survive as he gets to be more and more like Shane was (the writer discussed this).

But Carol is her own breed of being as smart or smarter than most of the rest of them.

If that rubs off on Tyrese, he'll make it too. He needs more than just brawn though. But he has a great heart.

Now Maggie and Glenn were great characters in past seasons (Glenn's been there since the second episode ever - maybe he heard his voice in episode 1?) But I could be wrong, but their time on the show may be finally coming to a close since it would appear they are featured less so fans don't throw a fit if they "bite it."

Seriously, I wouldn't mind if they lived as the hottie couple, but then we should get back to them having more interesting storylines, but I truly feared for Glenn, that his throat was about to get slit in the trough.

OC47151
10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I'll take a leg, please!

I've been informed that the present storyline introduced Sunday nite is in the comics. Don't know much more than that but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

OC47151
11-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Got some insight as to what Carol did once Rich exiled her. Glad to see she and Tyrese buried the girls.

The last two episodes will deal with a rescue???

Tycho
11-21-2014, 12:14 AM
The hospital and Dawn is a new good plot scenario. She is not quite the Governor or even a Termanite, but the hospital scenario is interesting.

I wonder how the camping walkers got to be that way, in their sleeping bags...

Someone "created them" deliberately to block that passage?

They'd been shot or stabbed - but not in the head.

Or perhaps it was to be merciful when Atlanta was bombed, but the person doing it didn't know about the "gotta hit 'em in the head thing."

I knew Eugene was full of it. I don't like him. Never did. But part of that IS definitely the mullet.

I wonder if he'll get an action figure and it will say "Includes Mullet" on the packaging?

OC47151
11-24-2014, 09:03 PM
You're right, Tycho: Dawn isn't the Gov but still a formidable adversary who scares enough people to follow her.

And what's up with Preacher?

I also find it interesting that the group has come full-circle, back to Atlanta.
/
My big question is, how much of the rescue will we see next week? A cliffhanger until February? Don't know.

bigbarada
11-25-2014, 12:55 AM
I think they've got big plans for the preacher guy, but he's just off to a rough start. I don't really like some of the reactions that they have written for his character, though. I don't really know that much about the Episcopal denomination, but he seems unusually hung up on physical symbols, like church buildings and crosses. It's almost like whoever is writing his character has never actually met a real Christian pastor and only knows what they've seen on other TV programs and movies.

However, it's extremely rare to see a Christian character written properly in television or movies, just like military characters. I thought they did pretty good with Hershel, but there were still a few things he said or did here and there that didn't ring true.

Tycho
11-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Please elaborate, BigBarada.

OC47151
11-26-2014, 08:36 AM
I think they've got big plans for the preacher guy, but he's just off to a rough start. I don't really like some of the reactions that they have written for his character, though. I don't really know that much about the Episcopal denomination, but he seems unusually hung up on physical symbols, like church buildings and crosses. It's almost like whoever is writing his character has never actually met a real Christian pastor and only knows what they've seen on other TV programs and movies.

However, it's extremely rare to see a Christian character written properly in television or movies, just like military characters. I thought they did pretty good with Hershel, but there were still a few things he said or did here and there that didn't ring true.

The preacher does have the potential to be an interesting character. But his grasp on reality and the present are very thin at the least. Mentally, he's fragile. We don't know how long he's been living by himself at the church, with no human contact. And now he has a bunch of armed strangers come into his sanctuary. And what does he do? Runs away.

And you're right again, BigBarada: it is unusual to see a Christian character portrayed in the proper light. He could've easily been portrayed as a heretic or another Terminal crazy.