PDA

View Full Version : The Avengers

JEDIpartner
08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Chris Evans was on-set yesterday, filming a scene where Steve Rogers, fresh from a Rip Van Winkle, emerges from a building, onto the streets of modern-day NYC, only to find himself fighting aliens who are attacking the city. Strangely enough, NYC is Cleveland, Ohio and 42nd Street is East 9th Street. For those of my friends who are lucky enough to be close to all of the action, one was able to film this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIbeEMybsk) from her office yesterday afternoon during one of the major pyrotechnic stunts. I really should've signed up to be an extra!!!

Robert Downey is scheduled to arrive for shooting next week. Sam Jackson was here last week.

I'm rather excited by all of this, actually! We currently have 9 motion pictures on the books to film in Ohio.

There are some journalist videos here (http://topics.cleveland.com/tag/avengers/videos.html) (for now at any rate!).

JEDIpartner
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Filming continues today. East 9th Street has been cleaned up and the shoot has moved over to Public Square. Public Square also served as the location for the exterior shots in A Christmas Story. The shots for the Higbees window and the Christmas parade, as well as all of the downtown establishing shots were filmed there. Should be interesting as they are turning Public Square into Stuttgart, Germany!

JEDIpartner
08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
The crew was back on East 9th today. They were filming a few more pyrotechnic stunts and there was a squad of soldiers running into battle.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I can't believe they're remaking that Uma Thurman/Ralph Fiennes flick from '98; I thought it bombed.

JEDIpartner
08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I can't believe they're remaking that Uma Thurman/Ralph Fiennes flick from '98; I thought it bombed.

LOL ...which in turn was a remake of the television series. ;)

JEDIpartner
08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Aaaaaaaanyhow... Scenes with Thor and Captain America are being filmed on East 9th Street today.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2011, 10:13 AM
It's awesome when stuff gets filmed locally. Around me over the years:
video for "Where the Streets Have No Name"
The Cat in The Hat
Catch Me if You Can
A League of Their Own
That Thing You Do!
Matrix 2 (or maybe it was the first Transformers... or both? it was on some closed freeway here)
tons of commercials set in the local airport

El Chuxter
08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I can't get excited about this for some reason. It could be the realistic nature of Iron Man now being undermined by aliens, the silly premise of Thor that I've never been able to get over, or the "what did we keep from the first movie?" shtick of Hulk.

But it's not. It's the Hawkeye. There's too much Hawkeye.

Q: How much Hawkeye is too much Hawkeye?
A: Any Hawkeye is too much Hawkeye. Only a negative amount of Hawkeye is acceptable.

No joke, West Coast Avengers was the only Marvel comic I never collected during the height of my addiction. Because Hawkeye is lower than a dingleberry stuck in one's hidden hair. I'd rather Justin Bieber lead the team than Hawkeye be allowed anywhere near it.

JediTricks
08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
It's awesome when stuff gets filmed locally. Around me over the years:
video for "Where the Streets Have No Name"
The Cat in The Hat
Catch Me if You Can
A League of Their Own
That Thing You Do!
Matrix 2 (or maybe it was the first Transformers... or both? it was on some closed freeway here)
tons of commercials set in the local airportMatrix 2 was filmed on a custom loop they built out in Alameda, where they keep the nuclear wessels. Wheh-sells! Whereas the freeway scene for Transformers was filmed in Rialto, where they keep our state's precious supply of nothing.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey! If it wasn't for that area where Rialto has been placed on a map, the travel budget for the show Cops would be outrageous! And what about heavy wind-damage news stories? Tagging? Window stickers with "streams" on various people/car companies? I don't call all that "nothing." ;)

El Chuxter
08-21-2011, 01:11 AM
No joke. It seems like every time I find a re-run of Cops, it's set in Rialto. Rialto sort of scares me, and I don't fear bad neighborhoods lightly. The nearby towns have some redeeming factors, but about I can say for Rialto is they've got two 99c Only stores that suck less than the ones closer to me, aside from the chemical smell in both.

Hawkeye probably lives in Rialto and that's why the place sucks.

JEDIpartner
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
They were filming scenes with Tom Hiddleston as Loki on Friday evening down at Public Square. My friend said that they are filming a few pick up shots on Walnut Street this morning.

sith_killer_99
09-02-2011, 08:12 PM
So let's see, the tie-in list is as follows:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk (except Edward Norton will not play Banner, Mark Ruffalo will)
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

Then we get "The Avengers" to be followed by:

Iron Man 3
Thor 2

I suspect we may get a "Captain America 2" as well, seeing as how it did so well at the box office.

El Chuxter
09-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Just so long as Hawkeye doesn't get his own movie.

In fact, I'd be cool with him being killed by a platypus during the opening credits of The Avengers. Particularly if he cries like a little baby while the platypus kills him and feeds him to the baby platypii.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
No, they'll mix continuity, and have him turn into US Agent, throwing adamantium arrows instead of a shield.

The Platypus will be paired up with Ultron as the villain duo.

bigbarada
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Just so long as Hawkeye doesn't get his own movie.

In fact, I'd be cool with him being killed by a platypus during the opening credits of The Avengers. Particularly if he cries like a little baby while the platypus kills him and feeds him to the baby platypii.

I agree, I've never understood why people actually like Hawkeye.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I agree, I've never understood why people actually like Hawkeye.I always found he had a bit of Batman to him: no super powers but extremely skilled in some areas. A gruff or loner personality at times, but could work with other heroes if needed. And, I found his costume fairly easy to draw.

El Chuxter
09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I always found he had a bit of Batman to him: no super powers but extremely skilled in some areas. A gruff or loner personality at times, but could work with other heroes if needed. And, I found his costume fairly easy to draw.
You just described Green Arrow, whom Hawkeye is a shameless knockoff of.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Nah; rival comic companies can't do that. That would be wrong. I'll have to send Lobo and Wolverine to beat you up.

El Chuxter
09-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Nah; rival comic companies can't do that. That would be wrong. I'll have to send Lobo and Wolverine to beat you up.
This brings up bad memories of the Lobo/Wolverine throwdown in Marvel vs DC, which was WRONG!!! Wolvie killed Lobo behind a bar, then relaxed and lit a cigar. However, even if he were able to best the Main Man, which is questionable (to say the least), it was established only a year earlier that Lobo couldn't die because neither Heaven nor Hell would take him.

bigbarada
09-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Lobo. Now that's a name I haven't heard in nearly 20 years. It's good to see that he's been so successful compared to Wolverine. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
At least (in the right hands, at least... in other words, Giffen's) Lobo doesn't take himself so seriously, which is what's ruined Wolverine.

bigbarada
05-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Just got back from the midnight premiere and I really enjoyed the movie. For me, Hulk was the sticking point, if they got him wrong then the entire franchise would fall apart in my eyes. Fortunately this is the best onscreen Hulk ever made and I loved the interactions between Bruce Banner and Tony Stark. The only minor disappointment is that I really wished Hulk would speak.

There are rumors that they might make another stand alone Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo. I would really like to see that.

Overall, I thought the movie was awesome. This is exactly the kind of superhero movie that I always wanted to see made when I was reading about all of these characters as a kid. They even managed to make Hawkeye a likable character and that's a major accomplishment.

El Chuxter
05-04-2012, 08:19 AM
They even managed to make Hawkeye a likable character and that's a major accomplishment.
You just destroyed the credibility of the rest of your post.

bigbarada
05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
You just destroyed the credibility of the rest of your post.

I know, I would have thought the same thing if I hadn't seen the movie yet because I absolutely despise Hawkeye in the comics. However, Jeremy Renner does a good job of portraying him as an honorable soldier (for the most part without giving too much away), instead of a petulant child who rails against authority just for the sake of railing against authority.

jonthejedi
05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Joss Whedon is God...he pulled off what could have been a disaster in someone elses' hands. Incredible action set pieces, great pacing, snappy dialog AND character development. No wonder A list critics are giving it 4 stars. Run...don't walk to see the Avengers this weekend. (Stay past the credits twice...wink, wink). Loki surpasses General Zod as a true Super Villain. GL...you need to see this movie so you can understand what happens when they get it RIGHT!

JetsAndHeels
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I've got tickets to the 7:20 show tonight. So ready to see this.

sith_killer_99
05-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Taking my daughter to see this tomorrow.

JetsAndHeels
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow. What a great movie!!

So much action, yet plenty of story and character development. I will definately go see it again..but this time in 2D. The 3D got a bit overwhelming at times.

preacher
05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Wow. What a great movie!!

So much action, yet plenty of story and character development. I will definately go see it again..but this time in 2D. The 3D got a bit overwhelming at times.

very impressive the way all the characters were given equal importance. And equal screen time. I think Iron man may have had just a bit more than the rest. But damn what a great show. I was shocked to see HIM after the credits. If they pull off his inclusion in the sequel. I have very high hopes that a certain other villain in the dc universe could be pulled off. The character I 'm thinking of is practically a carbon copy of HIM.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
I saw this at the midnight opening, after seeing Thor and Captain America for the first time immediately beforehand (it was an all-day marathon, but I had to leave for a bit so I missed Incredible Hulk and half of each Iron Man movie; I've seen both Iron Man movies but haven't seen the Incredible Hulk). Anyway, I freakin' loved it. The last battle was just one mind-blowingly cool moment after another; truly one of the greatest action sequences I have ever seen in a film. A great deal of that was due to how the characters were treated and used during the battle and for the entire movie preceding it. Just a whole hell of a lot of fun.

All three movies I saw in a row were in 3D, which is the most I've ever seen of the format in one sitting (with 15-minute breaks in-between, but still). I thought it was used really well in all three cases - it definitely helped it feel like you were more "in the world" of the film without being ridiculous. After a while, I forgot I was watching 3D - not because it was used so sparingly, but just because I got used to it. If all 3D releases were as good as this (or TPM, for instance), then I don't think people would take issue with it as much as they still do. (I rarely see 3D movies unless that's a major part of the draw, partly since the level of quality is still such a crapshoot.)

I have very high hopes that a certain other villain in the dc universe could be pulled off. The character I 'm thinking of is practically a carbon copy of HIM.
I have a feeling they'll stick to the Marvel characters as opposed to DC, but keep those high hopes anyway. :D

El Chuxter
05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Oh, wow, I was trying to avoid spoilers, but Thanos is in this movie? Holy crap! Must see, must see, must see.

Note to Marvel: get rights to Silver Surfer back IMMEDIATELY.

sith_killer_99
05-06-2012, 04:32 PM
AWESOME movie! Just took my daughter to see it and we both enjoyed it very much!

Yeah, Thanos at the end of the movie was a bit of a surprise.

figrin bran
05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I enjoyed it immensely though it does make me long for BTVS/Firefly films to be made. Longtime fans of Whedon's work will definitely feel a familiarity in tone.

I loved the 2nd credits easter egg btw. I'll most likely be seeing it again this weekend.

Snowtrooper
05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I finally got around to seeing this last Wednesday. Definitely lives up to the hype. I loved all the action in it of course, but the real surprise was how well they managed to mesh all these superheroes together without one or a few dominating the whole movie. There was just enough of everybody. I wasn't sure how well Loki would be for the main villain, but that was put to rest right away. He has a Hannibal Lecter quality to him. Well I can't wait for the next one.

sith_killer_99
05-26-2012, 12:19 AM
I finally got around to seeing this last Wednesday. Definitely lives up to the hype. I loved all the action in it of course, but the real surprise was how well they managed to mesh all these superheroes together without one or a few dominating the whole movie. There was just enough of everybody. I wasn't sure how well Loki would be for the main villain, but that was put to rest right away. He has a Hannibal Lecter quality to him. Well I can't wait for the next one.

It took you long enough! :devilish:

Yeah, Loki was a good villain, but the next film has WAY more potential IMO, especially with the guest appearance at the end of this film!!! :saturn:

Snowtrooper
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
It took you long enough! :devilish:

Yeah, Loki was a good villain, but the next film has WAY more potential IMO, especially with the guest appearance at the end of this film!!! :saturn:

Its a rather busy time of year for me so I saw it later than I wanted to. I hope I'm not asking a dumb question, but who is that guy at the end? I thought they were going to bring back the Red Skull since he disappeared in a similiar way to Loki. The creature they show doesn't look like him, though.

sith_killer_99
05-26-2012, 11:06 PM
That was Thanos.

http://www.google.com/search?q=thanos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kuV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CqjBT4fABIHL2QWD77x1&ved=0CHQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=772

Snowtrooper
05-27-2012, 09:32 AM
That was Thanos.

http://www.google.com/search?q=thanos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kuV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CqjBT4fABIHL2QWD77x1&ved=0CHQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=772

Thanks. I'm not well versed on the Marvel universe and the end of the movie left me wondering who that guy was.

sith_killer_99
05-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I'm not well versed on the Marvel universe and the end of the movie left me wondering who that guy was.

Short answer, Marvels equivalent to Darkseid.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
I liked it. More humor (not just from Stark) than I expected. All the action in the big fight scene built up well with the exposition that seemed to go on and on (not a bad thing, though). There were a few "comics" insider comments, and I almost forgot about the Stan Lee cameo throughout the film. I loved the Thanos smile at the end. Stay after the credits for another "end" part. I'm not sure, but I think they may be planning a sequel...

sith_killer_99
05-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes, there will be a sequel.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Are you sure? ;)

Name possibilities for this mythical "sequel" of which you speak:
- Marvel Comics Group Inc. The Avengers Second Film
- Re-Avengers
- The Avengerers
- The Avengers II: The Wrath of Than'
- The Avengers: Assembled Again (or Some Assembly Required)
- The Avengers: Expect a DC Justice League "Rip-Off" Soon
- Super Hero Group Movie
- Avengatar 3D

sith_killer_99
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Are you sure? ;)

Name possibilities for this mythical "sequel" of which you speak:
- Marvel Comics Group Inc. The Avengers Second Film
- Re-Avengers
- The Avengerers
- The Avengers II: The Wrath of Than'
- The Avengers: Assembled Again (or Some Assembly Required)
- The Avengers: Expect a DC Justice League "Rip-Off" Soon
- Super Hero Group Movie
- Avengatar 3D

I lol'd!

My favorite one right there, Hollywood couldn't do any better!

El Chuxter
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Even knowing about the purple guy (who wasn't played by Milton Berle), even seeing glimpses of him earlier that (having read spoilers) were recognizable, I still got goosebumps at the end. That evil grin juxtaposed against the "court death" line was golden. Golden. Such a subtle Easter egg; I don't think I've seen subtler. It's a cool send-off for everyone, but comic geeks will get the significance of the wording, even though I doubt (and hope) they don't go the traditional Infinity Gauntlet path here.

JediTricks
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Even knowing about the purple guy (who wasn't played by Milton Berle), even seeing glimpses of him earlier that (having read spoilers) were recognizable, I still got goosebumps at the end. That evil grin juxtaposed against the "court death" line was golden. Golden. Such a subtle Easter egg; I don't think I've seen subtler. It's a cool send-off for everyone, but comic geeks will get the significance of the wording, even though I doubt (and hope) they don't go the traditional Infinity Gauntlet path here.I read they actually built an Infinity Gauntlet for the Thor movie with moving parts, so I suspect you will be seeing it in a sequel or spin-off sequel.

bigbarada
06-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes, there will be a sequel.

I'm not sure if it made enough money at the box office to warrant a sequel. ;)

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I was just on BoxOfficeMojo.com and they report that Avengers will pass $600 million at some point today and it's fully expected to surpass Titanic's original theatrical run of $600.8 million. Although it's unlikely to surpass Titanic's total domestic box office gross of $658.7 million, which includes the recent 3D rerelease, unless it sees a major rerelease at some point in the future.

It's awesome to see the movie doing so well. I thought it would be a success, but I'm not sure if anyone expected this level of success. I think this goes way beyond blockbuster movie and has officially crossed over into worldwide phenomenon territory.

JimJamBonds
10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I (finally) saw it the other day, I thought it was good but it was predictable.

JediTricks
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Watched the blu ray and some of the extra features. Not many features here, kind of surprised. Yes there's 15 minutes of deleted scenes, and a few I did wonder why they pulled out (a recut on Cap's stuff would have been nice, for example, as well as Hawkeye and Loki in the catacombs) and a few I didn't (starting the film with Maria's testimony and bookending it with a cheap out) - I was howling at Hawkeye popping open his bow with no CGI. Film looks great on HDTV at least, although a bit darker than I remembered it in the theater (lux, not tone).

I tried the Second Screen app on my ipod, but holy crap is it distracting from the film, and long text isn't scrollable. Still, kinda nifty to control the blu-ray player with my device.

bigbarada
10-09-2012, 12:33 AM
and a few I didn't (starting the film with Maria's testimony and bookending it with a cheap out)

I'm definitely glad that they nixed Maria Hill's opening scene because I felt that it oversold the events of the story and would have set the wrong tone for the movie. Based on her telling of it, I would have expected a somber tragedy to follow, not the lighthearted and fun film that we actually saw.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm definitely glad that they nixed Maria Hill's opening scene because I felt that it oversold the events of the story and would have set the wrong tone for the movie. Based on her telling of it, I would have expected a somber tragedy to follow, not the lighthearted and fun film that we actually saw.Agreed. Plus, it reeked of cheap TV storytelling, not the movie we got.

El Chuxter
10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
They should've left the extended scene after Hulk falls from the Helicarrier, though. That explained quite a bit about his change of heart.

bigbarada
10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I did like that scene, but I guess they thought it might be better to get to the smashing as soon as possible. Maybe it will end up in an extended version of the movie at some point down the road.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 01:18 PM
They should've left the extended scene after Hulk falls from the Helicarrier, though. That explained quite a bit about his change of heart.That scene also somewhat patches the hole of "why was he a rampaging monster before and now he's cool" - because Banner finds out that the Hulk aimed his fall. And it's a good scene, it plays well for both actors. That cameo by Harry Dean Stanton was great as was the cameo by Stan Lee, yet both cutscene cameos were WAY BETTER.