PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who Aaliyah was?

Fulit
08-26-2001, 12:22 PM
I just read that she was killed in a plane crash. Wasn't she supposed to be in the Matrix 2? check it out, www.drudgereport.com

Grif
08-26-2001, 12:34 PM
She was a singer who lived around where I live for a short while. She had some pupular songs on MTV. I did not like her music though. She was pop and I am a rock kinda guy. I am not sure if she was going to be in the Matrix 2 but she was going to be in some sequel. I think that the music world will miss her but the Star Wars Universe won't.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2001, 06:05 PM
She also was in the movie Romeo Must Die with Jet Lee. Her biggest hit song was from the Dr. Doolittle soundtrack, but I forget the title. And Shaquille O'Neal made a bad joke about having sex with her; that apparently did not happen. According to reports, she was returning from a video shoot in the Bahamas.

evenflow
08-26-2001, 07:49 PM
I am not a fan of her music, but since some one posted this, I have to say I was on my way home listening to the rock station where I live and they said her plane went down and they were almost joking about it. I thought it was pretty messed up.

master jedi
08-26-2001, 09:24 PM
I knew she was a singer but don't know what songs she sings but still it's sad that she died.

GNT
08-27-2001, 02:08 AM
According to what I heard she is an R&B artist. For more details go to:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/26/bahamas.crash.ap/index.html

Its a terible thing to happen :(

Just thank god that it wasn't someone involved in the Star Wars films EG George

humsup
08-27-2001, 07:57 AM
Heard the news over the radio this morning while about to head out for work. Its sad to hear such a tradgedy and it brings back some deja vu. Anybody remembers Richie Valens? La Bamba?? Its almost the same scenario.

And yes, she's gonna appear in Matrix 2 I heard from the DJ over radio.

jeddah
08-28-2001, 07:18 AM
As someone who is absolutely devasted by this horrible accident - my own music being inspired by Aaliyah's - and her co-collaborators Missy Elliot and Timbaland, I can confirm the following;

She'd finished filming her "Rock the Boat" video

She'd finished filming "The Queen of the Damned" (Anne Rice's novel in which Aaliyah plays Akasha)

She had not started the Matrix 2 - it was due to start prinicipal photography, preproduction having just been completed.

The plane was overloaded with suitcases, the pilot had warned her security that it was too heavy.

she died immediately, the other 6 six of burns, in hosp

jeddah

JediTricks
08-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by jeddah
she died immediately, the other 6 six of burns, in hosp This is a truly tragic situation, and amazing how much of a stupid waste it is, especially since it probably happened because they were in a rush and wouldn't leave some equipment behind - unacceptable!

As for how many survived, every report I've heard has had only 2 people survived the crash only to later die in the hospital, and Aaliyah was not one of those, she died on the scene.

Obi-Don
08-28-2001, 09:09 AM
I agree with you Evenflow. No matter who it is. A life is a life and when someone is losted before thier time is tragic and should not be made fun of or taken lightly.A:mad: in a big way to that radio station.

pthfnder89
08-28-2001, 03:00 PM
Jeddah, are you sure about those facts?

I'm not claiming to have followed The Matrix filming as closely as a lot of people have, but I was under the impression that The Matrix Reloaded (Matrix 2) had finished quite a bit of its filming and Queen of the Damned hadn't started shooting yet.

As I said I'm definitely not claiming to know that for sure, but I have heard the same thing from several different public news sources, so I was curious where you had gotten your info from?

As for myself, I knew who Aaliyah was although I don't listen to R&B much so I hadn't heard her music very often. I can say that for the last several months, as she was cast in movie after movie, I have been thinking that her "acting" career was another shot by the movie studios to promote a young beautiful person (be it a model or a singer) who just didn't belong in the acting field.

That having been said, even though i wasn't a fan of hers, she still had a solid talent singing, and a beautiful life ahead of her, and the fact that that life was ended is absolutely a tragedy.

jeddah
08-29-2001, 04:55 AM
Okay guys, try the official site for the same stories.

jeddah

2-1B
08-31-2002, 02:39 AM
Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year since her passing. :(
With the recent release of the "Queen of the Damned" DVD, I guess I just recall last August when I heard she died.
It's still so tragic . . . :cry:

jeddah
09-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Caesar,

Thank you for bumping this thread. I can't believe it either. I was still reeling from this when the twin towers fell.

I am still playing her last album. It's stood up to a year's scrutiny and musical progress against the likes of Dre (who is a super-duper producer) and Missy.

jeddah

Darth Vellner
09-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by humsup
it brings back some deja vu. Anybody remembers Richie Valens? La Bamba?? Its almost the same scenario.

Don't forget BUDDY HOLLY and THE BIG BOPPER! (died in the same Crash)

187-Maul
09-02-2002, 04:03 PM
it's already been a year?
I listened to her music and she really had a great voice and a great career ahead of her
RIP

Beast
09-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Speaking of Aaliyah, I'm disgusted by the commercials for the "Queen of the Damned" DVD. There is a couple different ones, but one of them mentions her like 5 or 6 times. It's a blatant case of trying to make money off her death, because they know her fans will buy the movie. :mad: :greedy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
09-04-2002, 08:13 AM
Yeah she was down with Biggie Smalls back in tha day. She did a video with the Junior M.A.F.I.A. that featured Lil' Kim.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Speaking of Aaliyah, I'm disgusted by the commercials for the "Queen of the Damned" DVD. There is a couple different ones, but one of them mentions her like 5 or 6 times. It's a blatant case of trying to make money off her death, because they know her fans will buy the movie. :mad: :greedy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yea I know what you mean, when the movie was out in theatres, her hardcore fans wanted to see the movie just because she was in it and had really no interest in the fact it was a sequel to Interview With The Vampire. I can't wait for Ramses the Damned to come out.

Jedi Master Silas
09-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Who was Aaliyah? Whoa! She was a gentle soul, a sweet smile, a queen among the peasants. She was one heck of a talented R&B / mild hop hop singer and actress (Romeo Must Die, Queen of the Damned)