PDA

View Full Version : Alma Mater: College Football 2011 Season

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2011, 09:33 PM
It's back!
Ohio State wins against its typical in-state pushover, and without anyone else breaking NCAA rules! Pitt wins a home opener for its newest new coach. Youngstown St. wins... money for playing a BigTenOrTwelve opponent.

sith_killer_99
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Well, my Colorado Buffs lost to Hawaii last night. :(

JimJamBonds
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
It's back!
Ohio State wins against its typical in-state pushover, and without anyone else breaking NCAA rules!That we know of... :snarky:

Badgers beat UNLV, as far as the D II and D III teams in Wisconsin...I don't care.

Snowtrooper
09-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Nebraska beat Tennesee Chattanooga 40-7. I hope this was just a tune up game. The newly unveiled offense, although effective at times, was rather sloppy.

mtriv73
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
As expected, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University easily beat Appalachian State. The best news is nobody got hurt and actual game experience was gained by most of the team. Why beating them justifies moving up to number 11 in the polls is beyond me, but I just hope they do as well against East Carolina this weekend.

JimJamBonds
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Nebraska beat Tennesee Chattanooga 40-7. I hope this was just a tune up game. The newly unveiled offense, although effective at times, was rather sloppy.I can't wait for the Nebraska at Wisco game in a couple of weeks, should be awesome!

Snowtrooper
09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Wisconsin looks like the real deal. I hope our offense gets the kinks worked out of it by then. Although our defense is good, were going to have to score some points if we've got any shot at winning this game.

Snowtrooper
09-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Nebraska beats a pesky Fresno State team 42-29. It was a tail of two halves. The first half, we played just awful. I was so disgusted, that I just about shut the TV off. FSU led at halftime 17-14. The second half, the offense showed up and with Abdullah's 100yd kickoff return, we put the game away. I was a little worried about this game because FSU has a reputation of making things miserable for ranked opponents. Pat Hill, FSU's coach, is also one of the more underrated coaches in the country.

sith_killer_99
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
CU suffered a tough overtime loss to Cal. 36-33! :Pirate:

Next week is CU vs. CSU at Mile High. Then on to Ohio State to get their butts handed to them.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
OSU sqeaks out a second-half comeback over Toledo, and Pitt wins a close one vs. Maine. But hey... YSU scores 77 and beats Valpo by over 60 points; go Penguins!

Darth Metalmute
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
The Rockets could have/should have won that game late too. How bout that Notre Dame/Michigan finish? Have you ever seen three TD's in less than two minutes? It was like they were playing flag football without the flags.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Ugh. Pitt blows a big 2nd-half lead to Iowa, Ohio St. gets stomped by Miami of Not Ohio. But the YSU Penguins won.

TeeEye7
09-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Go OU!!!!!!!

Snowtrooper
09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Nebraska beats Washington 51-38. It was nice to see the offense really start taking off. The defense is looking worse as the weeks go by, allowing 21 points in the 4th quarter. Hope they can fix whatever the problem is, and soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Checked this week's new FCS (a.k.a. I-AA) poll, and 11 of the top 25 teams are at .500 or worse (including the 10th-ranked 0-3 E. Washington team who even GOT A FIRST PLACE VOTE?!?), but a 2-1 YSU team is on the outside looking in? Hmm.

Polls this early aren't all that important, but sadly they do affect late-season rankings.

Darth Metalmute
09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Isn't there a playoff (playoff in college football... how weird) in the FCS system?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Yep. And IIRC, it's just the top 16 teams that make it, so that poll at the end of the season is huge.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Too big of a 1st half deficit for the YSU 'Guins (I'm now seeing that online as their nickname for Penguins... like 'Yotes for Coyotes) to overcome. Ohio State started slowly, then wore down the Buffs. Pitt is frustrating; a low-scoring affair loss to ND.

Snowtrooper
09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Nebraska beat Wyoming 38-14. While it was a good road win, there is still alot to be improved on. We have to face the big dog next week(Wisconsin) and it will take a near perfect game to win. Either that, or Wisconsin will have to play their absolute worst.

Darth Metalmute
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Worst call of the year: Big East officials. How do you miss a failed extra point not once, but twice on the same play? I could tell from the replay that the official under the upright didn't look up but for the replay official to not see the miss is disgraceful. I typically don't call for ones head, but that kind of mistake encourages the talk that the officials, "do everything in their power to make sure BCS teams win." I hope the Toledo AD gets the loss stricken from the record.

JimJamBonds
09-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Nebraska beat Wyoming 38-14. While it was a good road win, there is still alot to be improved on. We have to face the big dog next week(Wisconsin) and it will take a near perfect game to win. Either that, or Wisconsin will have to play their absolute worst.That should be a good game on Saturday, it'll be interesting to see what Wisconsin is made of.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
That should be a good game on Saturday, it'll be interesting to see what Wisconsin is made of.Can't... resist... sophomoric... "cheese" joke... :p

Bel-Cam Jos
10-02-2011, 12:31 AM
But they certainly were "gouda" tonight.

In other less positive Big T11/12en news, the Buckeyes barely avoid a shutout with a last minute TD... and still lose by a field goal margin? Ugh. Pitt took down the Big East FL team on Thursday, and YSU is on bye.

Darth Metalmute
10-02-2011, 01:34 AM
You know how people always say they could do somethings better than the people who spend all there life training to do those things? Well, I think I could play QB for OSU this year, and I'm not sure I could do much worse.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Just don't skip passes to wide-open receivers, or take a sack on a 3-man rush, and they'll offer you a scholarship. :( I sure didn't expect the Buckeyes to go undefeated this season, but this is rough.

Snowtrooper
10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Nebraska loses to Wisconsin 48-17................................................ ...............Well, at least the first quarter was kinda interesting.

What an embarassment. 3 interceptions in 12 passes. Wisconsin was good enough as is. We really didn't need to give them help. I honestly didn't expect to win, but it would have been nice to at least have been competitive and not embarass ourselves on national tv.

Just don't skip passes to wide-open receivers, or take a sack on a 3-man rush, and they'll offer you a scholarship. :( I sure didn't expect the Buckeyes to go undefeated this season, but this is rough.

OSU should rebound nicely against us next week. They get their star players back, plus we've been shown to be a pretty mediocre team.

Darth Metalmute
10-02-2011, 08:44 PM

I won't. I'll stick to the three step drop.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Wiscoonsin baby! UW's win on Saturday night was just part of what has to be Wisconsin's greatest sports weekend ever. The Brewers go 2-0 against Arizona in the NLDS, huge Badger win and a butt kicking by the Packers as well!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I actually expected OSU to be manhandled by the Huskers throughout, because of getting trottled by the Badgers last week. What I didn't expect was for the Buckeyes to blow a 21-point second-half lead and THEN get manhandled. An inability to throw and complete passes to one's own receivers is a slight problem in football offense.

Pitt was in it early, but got blown out later versus Rutgers? Really; Rutgers? Did those new unis make that much of a difference? I guess so. But Graham becomes the nation's leadign rusher. Too early for Heisman hype? Sure...

Youngstown St. comes up 7 short; even the high school where I teach lost on a last-second FG Thursday night.

Great fooball weekend for me. :(

Snowtrooper
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Nebraska came out the first half and played just awful. It was 20-6 at halftime and I was writing them off and the whole season for that matter. The second half, obviously, went more the way I wanted it to. It was really encouraging to see the offense move the ball against OSU's defense, which is a pretty good defense from what i've heard. Braxton Miller's injury was also key to us winning the game. If he had been there, I think OSU had enough of a lead that they would have won. As it turned out, we overcame a 21 point deficit to win, which was the largest comeback in Nebraska football history. This was a big win for us.

BCJ, I think that OSU is improving. If they can continue to improve on offense, you might be surprised how well they are doing by the end of the season.

TeeEye7
10-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Go OU!!!!!!!

Go OU!!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2011, 07:29 PM
OSU wins at Illinois when Zook baffles everyone by going for a 4th down inside the 20 when down by a FG and TD under 2:00. Buckeyes run out the clock.
Pitt blows its early lead at home to Utah, and college's leading rusher gets only 50-some rushing/receiving yards total.
YSU wins a highscoring road game against So. Illinois.

Now, Wisconsin has a great receiver (who didn't even register any stats today; foot injury?), but does anyone else think that former Jets WR Al Toon should be called out for abuse in naming his son Nick Toon? Unless, he expects the cartoon network to sign his child to a big contract once he goes pro? :confused: ;)

Snowtrooper
10-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Nebraska beats Minnesota 41-14. They did what they were expected to do.

How about the Wisconsin/Michigan State game? It was literally won by an inch. I would've bet money that the game was going into overtime. it was a big win for MSU but I hope it burns them out when they come to Lincon next week.

JimJamBonds
10-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Stupid Badgers.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Ohio State looked like a team on the rise; tough defense even after repeated Badger comebacks, a functioning offense (still needs some passing work), big plays when necessary. Great game.
Youngstown State wins big; can they break into the FCS top 25 now?
Pitt won on Thur., but lost college's leading rusher Ray Graham to a knee injury. :(
Two more unbeatens lose (Clemson, KSU), and next week, one more is going to (either LSU or 'Bama), too.
A couple games where late missed FGs cost teams, and a few ice or snow bowls.
USC and Stanford play a triple OT shoot-out. Does anyone else think that the stats in OT shouldn't count for player totals, kind of like NHL or soccer shootouts? Those games sure make the QBs' numbers steroided up.

Snowtrooper
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Nebraska beats Michigan State 24-3. This was the best we've played all year. The offense played well, although there is still room for improvement. The defense finally looked like the blackshirts. MSU had a hard time getting anythng going, and when they did, Nebraska would get a turnover. It was also a hard hitting affair. It seemed like they were carting alot of players off the field. Fortunately, no significant injuries, at least that i'm aware of.

JimJamBonds
11-01-2011, 03:51 AM
Stupid Badgers.Stupid Badgers (again).

Snowtrooper
11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Nebraska loses to Northwestern 28-25. Basically, 2 turnover close to the endzone and a horrendous defensive performance doomed us. Northwestern moved the ball at will against our defense. About the only good thing they did was to get 3 turnovers. T. Martinez had his best day throwing, but the rest of the offense had a subpar day. I kinda expected Northwestern would score some points on us, but I didn't expect their defense to play so well against us. After last week, I thought we could win the rest of our games. We'll be lucky to win one of them.

JimJamBonds
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey Wisconsin, way to beat up on craptastic team.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Good news: Pitt wins on the road for the first time this season, and YSU upsets the #1 team in FCS on the road (maybe NOW the Penguins will finally get a sniff at the top 25). :thumbsup: Bad news: Ohio State gets the last-minute extra point blocked, which leads to them losing in OT versus Purdue. :cry:

Penn State loses their game, but I thought the environment and TV coverage at the stadium today were pretty good. UCLA at Utah looks wonderful with all that snow on the field. :pleased:

JimJamBonds
11-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Hey Wisconsin, way to beat up on craptastic team.Yeah you beat up on Minnesota...whoop-de-doo!

Snowtrooper
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Nebraska beat Penn State 17-14. With all that went on, PSU still played us pretty well. As one commentator said "Even though he wasn't there, they still played like a Joe Paterno team. I really didn't expect us to win this one, especially after the way we played last week. For once, we got things going early and managed to hold them off in the second half to win the game. I'm sure its disappointing to alot of PSU fans, but for us, winning against the best team in the Big10 was a big deal.

I was surprised how much the UM/FSU game was ignored. That used to be one of the biggest games of the year, even when both teams were down. Now it hardly even gets mentioned on the news.

TeeEye7
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Penn State's kids are embarrassing their school.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, well, well. It appears that a Cyclone has blown apart the rankings, now that OSU (the other OSU... no, not that OSU) fell to ISU last night. So, if LSU loses one of its next two games (Ole Miss - doubtful, Ark. - possibly) and Houston stays undefeated, that'll mean about 10+ teams can legitimately claim one of the two BCS championship game slots (Alabama, Oklahoma [which were the schools I though would play for it all, to start the season], Oregon, LSU, Houston, Stanford, VA Tech, Clemson, Arkansas, OK State, even Boise St. still).

Snowtrooper
11-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Nebraska loses to Michigan 45-17. Not much to say other than we played poorly all the way around. This was a game where the offense needed to put up alot of points and they didn't get the job done. We're a mediocre team at best.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2011, 09:33 AM
So, BCS ranked #2 (OSU), #4 (UO), #5 (OU), and #7 (CU) lose. Will the analysts soon have to ask "so, which is the best 2-loss team in the country?" now?

Youngstown St. lost at home by 4, and their chances at a playoff spot are likely gone.

Snowtrooper
11-20-2011, 11:49 AM
It was a pretty wild weekend. The OSU loss wasn't that terribly shocking. Iowa State is a dangerous team, even though their record indicates otherwise. They came to Lincoln and beat us a year ago. The OU loss wasn't that shocking either. When Baylor's offense is clicking, they are one of the best in the country, and they sure showed it last night.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
So, here's what'll happen to really mess up the BCS once again:
- LSU loses to Arkansas, who then loses to Georgia in the SEC title game
- Alabama loses to Auburn
- Stanford loses in the Pac-12 title game
- OSU loses to Oklahoma
- Virginia Tech loses to UV

So that means that aside from Houston (who'd be undefeated in my scenario) and one-loss Boise St., I believe that just about every team in the top 25 would have at least two losses going into the bowl season.

mtriv73
11-21-2011, 06:01 PM
So, here's what'll happen to really mess up the BCS once again:
- LSU loses to Arkansas, who then loses to Georgia in the SEC title game
- Alabama loses to Auburn
- Stanford loses in the Pac-12 title game
- OSU loses to Oklahoma
- Virginia Tech loses to UV

So that means that aside from Houston (who'd be undefeated in my scenario) and one-loss Boise St., I believe that just about every team in the top 25 would have at least two losses going into the bowl season.

I really hope you're wrong about the last one. Although even if VT wins that one they still have to beat Clemson. I don't think they'll be as ill prepared for the ACC championship game as they were for NC State.

Snowtrooper
11-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Nebraska beats Iowa 20-7. Martinez and Burkhead had the offense playing decent and the defense almost had a shutout. You never know what your going to get with this team. There are times when you think they can beat just about anybody and then there are times when you wonder if they can win another game. We finish the season with a 9-3 record. Too bad we didn't make the first BIG10 championship, but hopefully we get into a nice bowl game.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
The BCS #1 is quite clear. For a change, #2 is the one in question: will there be a first-ever same-conference championship game (Alabama)? Can OK St. sneak in after their blowout? Is Oregon too far back in the numbers?

The cynic in me wants the difference between #2 and #3 to be in the thousandths decimal place (like .887 to .886), to mess with the BCS once more. :evil:

Too bad about Houston, and even VA Tech. The first Big T1e1n2 title game was a thriller (that flag was a heartbreaker for Spartan fans). And is the Big East really an AQ conference anymore? :(

JimJamBonds
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
The first Big T1e1n2 title game was a thriller (that flag was a heartbreaker for Spartan fans.
Yeah the Badgers won but I think they are going to get rocked by the Ducks.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Can OK St. sneak in after their blowout?

The cynic in me wants the difference between #2 and #3 to be in the thousandths decimal place (like .887 to .886), to mess with the BCS once more. :evil: Answer: no. The spread was AL .9392 and OSU .9305 (.0087). So close. Maybe OSU and Alabama should play-in for LSU.

Darth Metalmute
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Answer: no. The spread was AL .9392 and OSU .9305 (.0087). So close. Maybe OSU and Alabama should play-in for LSU.

What a novel idea. I wonder what we would call it? Play in game? Sudden Death? Oh, I know: PLAYOFFS.

Get a clue BCS and give us our playoffs.

You know whats funny? The BCS Twitter feed is @everygamecounts. Hey BCS, if that was the case, why is Alabama getting a second shot? If LSU wins, we learned nothing from the game. I'm hoping Alabama wins so LSU can complain that it was unfair to have to play the Tide again.

I am boycotting the BCS game this year. Hopefully, the ratings will be record low and the BCS will wake up.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Alright! New Year's Day! Ready for college football all day, on the couch, flipping between channels! :thumbsup:

Wait, what? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2012, 11:01 AM
So Penn St. gets hammered with sanctions (wins vacated, $60M fine, bowl ban, scholarships, probation), plus the statue comes down. Will this mean schools won't ever turn a blind eye to negative activities again? I hope so, but doubt it. :(