PDA

View Full Version : Why do you collect The Vintage Collection?

JediTricks
09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Every collector is unique and has his or her own reasons for collecting. Hasbro's current main line, The Vintage Collection, uses the hardcore collector-focused classic Kenner look for its design and packaging, but not every hardcore collector is interested in the carded experience; conversely, some collectors only care about that carded experience; and still other collectors are interested only in getting one of every NEW figure no matter its packaging.

Hasbro has put a lot of effort into focusing on that hardcore old-school collector experience for the main line, right down to reusing the coffin blister style of the original '70s Kenner figures rather than a newer, more dynamic blister packaging experience. The Vintage Collection has also raised its price a dollar over the other main figure lines from Hasbro Star Wars as a response to the lower number of casual consumer draw to the line - they have to charge more to make up for the lower sales potential of focusing TVC on hardcore collectors.

Obviously a lot of collectors are going to have more than 1 reason, so we're asking what your PRIMARY reason for collecting the line is, what drives you more than anything else about the line?

What figure purchasing experience are modern Star Wars collectors looking for these days with TVC? Once you voted, post and let us know more explaining your opinion.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Caveat: I voted for "Kenner classic-style carded" but I'm an opener. But I have to admit, seeing the old school packaging is great, with the higher quality articulation and accessories. The poll did say why I "primarily collect" some from this line.

2-1B
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
the PRIMARY (and ONLY) reason I collect TVC is for the Kenner classic-style carded experience

Since 2006, I had reduced myself to buying just 1 or 2 figures per year from each card release (Saga, OTC, Clone Wars, etc)...but with the Vintage figures available the last couple years, I find myself more interested in what's to come, while buying ~5 figures from each film (with the exception of the as-yet-unavailable TPM). I am still pretty selective when purchasing TVC, so while I do not buy all of them I do spend money on the line.

El Chuxter
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd buy the figures I want even if they were on My Little Pony packaging.

sith_killer_99
09-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I'd buy the figures I want even if they were on My Little Pony packaging.

Yeah, the only difference is, if they were on My Little Pony packaging you would become a carded collector.:highly_amused:

obi-dad
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
They have them on My Little Pony packaging???? WHERE????

sith_killer_99
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
They have them on My Little Pony packaging???? WHERE????

TRU exclusive.

Snowtrooper
09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I voted for 1 carded and 1 opener, although thats only for new figures. If its a repack, then its only one for card. I'm a sucker for the vintage style look for the obvious reason, nostalgic appeal. I hate to admit it, but the entire line could be repacks and I'd probably end up buying every one.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Don't type such things online, as Hasbro owns that line. Could there be...?
- My Little Tauntaun
- My Little Eopie
- My Little Acklay
- My Little Dewback
- My Little Boga
- My Little Ronto Jr.
- My Little McQuarrie Concept Rebel Snow Lizard (store exclusive)

Tycho
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I used to buy my figures to sniff them. That smell of new plastic. Later, I began eating them. It's all good with some ketchup, but I've enjoyed getting more extravagant and boiling them in water first, for that chewy affect when you squish their heads with your molars and bite down hard, so as to pull them off their plugs. This is an altogether different experience for me than it was back in the t-plug day. If you add salt to the water, not only will it increase the boiling temperature in your cooking pot, but it adds more flavor and texture to your action figures. Be sure to remove the softgoods clothing affects before trying to eat a figure as finger food. However, if you want to make a sandwich, the solar pannel wings from the v-wing work great - laying out your action figure in between them, and the softgoods (a cape perhaps?) lies in place like lettuce would on any normal, and uninspired, sandwich. You could add Terriyaki Sauce for a more exotic flavor.

Meanwhile, I usually just buy the characters (like Bom Vimdim or "normally posed" Bariss Offee) that I need for my dioramas - typicaly ones never made before. Thus I like the completely obscure characters and hope for new Bail Organas and a Jocasta Nu and buy almost NO re-packed or re-done figures like Logray, Han Bespin, or Fordo.

To each their own. I'm sticking around here waiting for Sgt. Doallyn and Padme in every on-screen outfit from AOTC and ROTS that they haven't produced yet. I barely ever buy vintage figures. Carded collecting is not my hobby, but I like to look.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2011, 01:19 AM
I've always been an opener, but I've also gotten six TVC figures to keep carded, which is more than I've ever done before. I like the look of them, and I seem to gravitate towards prequel characters on this design as they're both new and classic-looking (I have Grievous, Cody, Gree, Yoda, Jango, and Mace so far, and will undoubtedly be getting several from TPM).

bigbarada
10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Oops, I think I totally missed this pol. No matter how much I like the cards, the loose figure experience will always be the most important to me. The classic Kenner cards are really just an added bonus... a really big bonus, but still just a bonus.

Jedi_nav
10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Where is the I love this button?! Too funny

Don't type such things online, as Hasbro owns that line. Could there be...?
- My Little Tauntaun
- My Little Eopie
- My Little Acklay
- My Little Dewback
- My Little Boga
- My Little Ronto Jr.
- My Little McQuarrie Concept Rebel Snow Lizard (store exclusive)

JediTricks
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Oops, I think I totally missed this pol. No matter how much I like the cards, the loose figure experience will always be the most important to me. The classic Kenner cards are really just an added bonus... a really big bonus, but still just a bonus.This poll doesn't have an end date, so if you don't have voting options, look for the option that's in italics, that's the one you voted for already.

Do you keep the cards after you liberate the figures? I've stopped doing that m'self, wondering if anybody else does.

Tycho
10-14-2011, 08:08 PM
You know the Unleashed of a few years back had the most incredible cards. I didn't open mine "neatly" though.

BTW - maybe Hasbro will sell the cardbacks or offer them (all) as a mail-away?

That would be a cheap way for them to offer them as well as for collectors like myself, who are unlikely to buy characters we already have too many figures of (Darth Vader, etc.).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Do you keep the cards after you liberate the figures? I've stopped doing that m'self, wondering if anybody else does.Not only do I keep the cards, but I save any stickers (still attached to the plastic and taped to the card) from the bubble, plus the cardboard logo/names stuff inside. But, I do pitch the plastic holder shell inside, the plastic outside (after I cut it off with a knife or scissors), plus any rubberbands and twist ties. And I alphabetize the cards by style of cardback (all the way back to the POTF2, plus the couple dozen ESB/ROJ/POTF cards I still have).

But you all probably expected that from me, right? :pleased:

Tycho
10-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm actually disappointed Bel-Cam Jos.

Impress us and arrange your cardbacks in numerical order of their serial numbers!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm actually disappointed Bel-Cam Jos.

Impress us and arrange your cardbacks in numerical order of their serial numbers!Ah! But what to do about the cards I have still kept, where I've removed the UPC for mailaways? This way, I'm set. :thumbsup: Always [over]thinking ahead... :p

El Chuxter
10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I need to change my vote.

With all the crap clogging shelves and the dearth of new stuff I want, maybe I should choose "I'm Not Collecting." Not a lack of desire for SW figures, but a lack of willingness to fork over $10 for yet another Tatooine Luke, ANH Han, Yoda, etc.

JediTricks
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
BCJ, that's almost exactly how I had my cardbacks done, stickers and all! I guess we shared a compulsion, when I had that compulsion, of course.

Tycho, Steve and I have been trying to convince Hasbro to offer cardbacks under various ideas whenever we see them at SDCC. It turns out they do have the materials needed too, but they don't foresee much consumer interest. Personally, I think they're missing a golden opportunity, and Steve presented an alternate idea that they sorta saw the spark of, but didn't want to commit to.

I feel your pain, Chux.

Tycho
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
JT, I would like you to re-do this poll with some other choices for responses:

WHY DO YOU COLLECT?

1) to return to the nostalgic Kenner classic-style carded experience
2) to get figures that were never made before during my childhood
3) the figures are like little pieces of art and I pick out the most impressive
4) to display in groups of characters that interacted in the films and / or make dioramas
5) to play with and use these as toys
6) to give to my children
7) to obtain rare or currently scarce items to appreciate their financial value
8) to be a completist and own as many Star Wars products as I can
9) other - please tell us in the forums

JediTricks
01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
With as few participants as we got in this poll, I'm going to have to pass.