PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 95

JediTricks
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Please post your VOTE for up to 2 {two} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on October 21st. Keep in mind that your votes in round 94 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to suggest new questions, but please keep in mind that due to the now extra-limited nature of the program, we cannot use every suggestion.

Current questions (vote for up to 2):

- Sgt. Bric's initial cartoon outing turned out to be kind of a bust. The character was an unmemorable jerk and didn't really add anything to his storyline. In fact, if not for the action figure you guys did, he'd be a complete nobody in 2010. And on top of that, the postage on his set when it arrived in Los Angeles was a whopping $5.15, so after the cost of the box and the handling, just getting it out the door probably ate the entire $6.99 right there. Combine that with the fancy packaging and the battle mat, and the fact that he's 100% new tooling with some pricey-looking (for CW) paint, and it seems like Bric's quite an expensive promotional venture for Hasbro to have undertaken... all for a minor jerk of a character. What is it about Bric that made you choose him for a big Clone Wars mail-away promo figure?
- The Force FX lightsabers are targeted at adult collectibles, for a group who generally desire accuracy in their prop collectibles, and yet the latest ROTS Obi-Wan's lightsaber with removable blade suffers a big inaccuracy due to the blade needing to be securely anchored. However, with your removable-blade designs, you've started using dummy parts to fill in the removed blades, and we wonder if you'd consider for future thin-necked lightsabers like Luke ROTJ and Obi-Wan having the removable blade take the entire thick "neck" with it and having a more accurate thin-necked dummy design replace it. That much weight anchoring has been accomplished before in the thick metal coupler for the Maul saber halves that screwed together, on these thin-neck sabers the neck could screw down to the top part of the grip. That would let collectors have their cake and eat it too by giving an accurate hilt prop display with the thin neck, while still having the light-up blade play using the thick neck. So has there been any consideration for that sort of thing, and might it be seen in future Force FX sabers when needed?
- The 2009 Count Dooku with Speeder Bike figure featured a fabric cloak with a sculpted plastic clasp, meaning he had the free range of motion provided by the cloak with the accuracy of the clasp. This year though, instead of a plastic clasp, your TVC General Lando Calrissian figure has a thick elastic strap that doesn't really look anything like the fabric braid the character wore in the film; it seems like that is a case where a plastic clasp would have been preferable. The plastic clasp holding closed a fabric cloak solution could also be a possibility on future Darth Vader figures, or movie-based Count Dooku figures, or other figures where appropriate and the material allows it. Will the plastic-clasp-and-fabric approach be taken more in the future? Why wasn't it with TVC General Lando?
- Since the release of the ROTJ wave last Fall, there really wasn't much product for either line making a big appearance on shelves at any major retailer up until this September. Many waves have come and gone in very small, sporadic, scattered numbers. Your recent answers about some figures slowing things up doesn't fully account for what seems to be extremely-low retailer orders or problematic case assortments that continued even a year after figures were showing problems to continue pushing slow-moving product rather than focusing on newer and more popular stuff. Beyond the slow-moving figures, what is happening with the spotty distribution and case assortment planning for this year so far? You've always told us that you monitor what's selling and adjust future case assortments to address problems, yet we haven't seen that lately, why not slip in Wedge and the Gamorrean and the like, truly sought-after figures, instead of just another pass at recarded figures? (We know Wedge and the Gamorrean are slated for return in 2012, but that's over a year after they were needed.)
- Lucasfilm is all of a sudden talking about the February 2012 cinema release of Episode I in 3D as an experiment, one that, should it not live up to their expectations will end the Saga's re-release train then and there. They've also said that the live-action TV series is on hold a few more years. Should the 3D release not pan out, that would leave only the Blu-Ray release coming up this Fall as major entertainment support for the realistic incarnation of the brand. Granted, Hasbro's Star Wars line has survived plenty of waves without entertainment support, but the state of the toy industry seems more brutal, more dire than before. What is Hasbro looking forward to using as support for the main Star Wars movie line should the 3D movie release not pan out? Hasbro hasn't done any major advertising for the main Star Wars movie line in a while, might there be a renewed push into that realm?
- Most collectors still haven't really gotten a significant experience with the new Vintage Collection waves that do away with theming. Can you touch a little more on how those new non-themed waves are planned out? Is it harder to find a "voice" for creating a wave that way, or is it freeing not to have to come up with a bunch of figures all centered around a single concept that have to be ready to go at the exact same time?
- In the foreseeable future, can we expect to see the Neimoidian Separatist Shuttle released, seeing how it's appeared in three films, and in 12 Clone Wars episodes so far? It has a unique shape and certainly seems as useful as a Mandalorian Shuttle, which is getting a release.
- Concerning the Clone Wars Battle Droid figure, will you ever release a regular infantry version that sports the Firefighter Battle Droid's extra-articulated arms, and the Class 1 Fleet Separatist Speeder Pilot Battle Droid's extra-articulated legs, so that we'll have a more articulated animated Battle Droid?

Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating.

Battle Droid
09-17-2011, 06:37 PM
7 and 8 for now.

sebillba
09-18-2011, 02:29 AM
In case anyone missed this, one of the answers to Jedi Temple Archives (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8466) confirms that Wedge and Gam Guard will be re-released next year, which kind of addresses the last part of Q4.

Jabbapalacespy
09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
#'s 4 and 5

JediTricks
09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
In case anyone missed this, one of the answers to Jedi Temple Archives (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8466) confirms that Wedge and Gam Guard will be re-released next year, which kind of addresses the last part of Q4.I had seen that, but considering how long they weren't inserted into cases, it seems like it doesn't address the question's concern. I'll adjust the question to address it though.

Darth Marco
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
My votes are 4 and 7.

JediTricks
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I think Fans Choice overshadowed this round, poor 95 here.

I guess I'll vote:

4, 6

El Chuxter
10-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I'll ditto you with 4 and 6.

bigbarada
10-12-2011, 04:35 AM
4 and 5 for me.

bigbarada
10-12-2011, 05:01 AM
New question, but it can wait until next round:

Just from the perspective of an outsider looking in, it seems like Hasbro's Star Wars team was sort of blindsided by the almost back-to-back announcements of the Star Wars Blu-Rays AND the 3D theatrical rerelease of the entire saga. The Episode 1 wave, originally slated for late-2010, was put on hold until 2012. Then we get a previously-unannounced, core-character-heavy wave, cobbled together from existing figures and backloaded in warehouses so that special "cubes" of that wave could flood store shelves as soon as the Blu-Rays were actually released. Meanwhile we're told to expect to see the "deleted scene" wave (which is directly related to the Blu-Rays) months after the Blu-Ray release date. It would have made more sense to have the deleted scene figures hitting stores on the same day as the Blu-Rays... unless Hasbro wasn't given enough notice from Lucasfilm to have the deleted scene figures ready on time. We understand that there is a 12-18 month lead time for action figures, so only getting one year's notice for major events like the 3D releases and the Blu-Rays is "last minute" and would require some quick thinking in order to have product ready on time. Those same last minute changes would also help explain why 2011 has been such a disappointing and frustrating year for a majority of Star Wars collectors. It almost leads one to believe that the distribution of Star Wars figures in 2011 would have run much more smoothly if the Blu-Rays and the upcoming 3D rereleases were never announced at all. Would it be accurate to say that is the case?

DarkJedi5
10-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Number 2 please.

JediTricks
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Hasbro just emailed us an update, because of New York Comic-Con, they are pushing the submission date on this round back 1 week, so we've gotten a reprieve.

New question, but it can wait until next round:

Just from the perspective of an outsider looking in, it seems like Hasbro's Star Wars team was sort of blindsided by the almost back-to-back announcements of the Star Wars Blu-Rays AND the 3D theatrical rerelease of the entire saga. The Episode 1 wave, originally slated for late-2010, was put on hold until 2012. Then we get a previously-unannounced, core-character-heavy wave, cobbled together from existing figures and backloaded in warehouses so that special "cubes" of that wave could flood store shelves as soon as the Blu-Rays were actually released. Meanwhile we're told to expect to see the "deleted scene" wave (which is directly related to the Blu-Rays) months after the Blu-Ray release date. It would have made more sense to have the deleted scene figures hitting stores on the same day as the Blu-Rays... unless Hasbro wasn't given enough notice from Lucasfilm to have the deleted scene figures ready on time. We understand that there is a 12-18 month lead time for action figures, so only getting one year's notice for major events like the 3D releases and the Blu-Rays is "last minute" and would require some quick thinking in order to have product ready on time. Those same last minute changes would also help explain why 2011 has been such a disappointing and frustrating year for a majority of Star Wars collectors. It almost leads one to believe that the distribution of Star Wars figures in 2011 would have run much more smoothly if the Blu-Rays and the upcoming 3D rereleases were never announced at all. Would it be accurate to say that is the case?If you look at the plans they had at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, SWCelebration, and this year's Toy Fair, the writing was on the wall already for our problems. The plan to get the Evazan wave out by June was still in place as late as February of this year. The fact that they missed the previous 3 waves' deadlines so badly suggests that their plan had already stumbled before we got to the Blu-Ray or 3D movie issues, whether or not '11 wave 4 got postponed. If you look at Clone Wars and that line's inability to meet shelf dates almost on equal timing with TVC despite having no real reason to suffer either Blu-Ray or 3D release snafus, I think you'll see a more endemic problem with the Star Wars Hasbro brand. Thoughts?

bigbarada
10-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Hasbro just emailed us an update, because of New York Comic-Con, they are pushing the submission date on this round back 1 week, so we've gotten a reprieve.

If you look at the plans they had at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, SWCelebration, and this year's Toy Fair, the writing was on the wall already for our problems. The plan to get the Evazan wave out by June was still in place as late as February of this year. The fact that they missed the previous 3 waves' deadlines so badly suggests that their plan had already stumbled before we got to the Blu-Ray or 3D movie issues, whether or not '11 wave 4 got postponed. If you look at Clone Wars and that line's inability to meet shelf dates almost on equal timing with TVC despite having no real reason to suffer either Blu-Ray or 3D release snafus, I think you'll see a more endemic problem with the Star Wars Hasbro brand. Thoughts?

If number 4 makes it through, then I guess we should wait and see how Hasbro responds to it, since the two are kind of related. Then I can rewrite the question taking your comments into account.

I seem to remember that the ROTJ wave was original supposed to be wave 5 available for release in January 2011, but it was pushed forward to 2010 when the Ep1 wave (the original TVC wave 3) was pushed out to 2012. That seemed to happen shortly after Lucasfilm's official announcement of the 3D Ep1 release, which led me to believe that that one announcement left Hasbro scrambling to rearrange their schedule.

I guess I would need to figure exactly when each announcement was made and see if that correlates to a major change announced by Hasbro.

Or maybe I'm just being too forgiving of Hasbro and giving them the benefit of the doubt for all the problems we've seen in 2011.

mtriv73
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
4 and 5 for me.

JediTricks
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
The questions are getting sent in tomorrow, so you have just 1 day left to vote in this round, folks.

If number 4 makes it through, then I guess we should wait and see how Hasbro responds to it, since the two are kind of related. Then I can rewrite the question taking your comments into account.

I seem to remember that the ROTJ wave was original supposed to be wave 5 available for release in January 2011, but it was pushed forward to 2010 when the Ep1 wave (the original TVC wave 3) was pushed out to 2012. That seemed to happen shortly after Lucasfilm's official announcement of the 3D Ep1 release, which led me to believe that that one announcement left Hasbro scrambling to rearrange their schedule.

I guess I would need to figure exactly when each announcement was made and see if that correlates to a major change announced by Hasbro.

Or maybe I'm just being too forgiving of Hasbro and giving them the benefit of the doubt for all the problems we've seen in 2011.Based on my notes from the past few years of Hasbro fan events as well as Q&A, the ROTJ wave listed on the slide as wave 5 was named as wave 3 in Q&A before that slide was shown, as was wave 4 being AOTC. It looks like the slide saying "wave 5" was an accident, nothing was shifted. The Q&A supports that, and mentions that wave 5 was their first "mixed" wave rather than one based on theme. I don't have anything here that says they held back a TPM wave for 18 months, an entire development cycle.

JediTricks
10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, that's it for this round. Thanks to all seven folks who participated in this round. Hopefully Hasbro will get the excitement of Q&A back on track soon and you'll have plenty of folks to bug you about your votes next time. ;)

Here's what we're sending in this round:

- Since the release of the ROTJ wave last Fall, there really wasn't much product for either line making a big appearance on shelves at any major retailer up until this September. Many waves have come and gone in very small, sporadic, scattered numbers. Your recent answers about some figures slowing things up doesn't fully account for what seems to be extremely-low retailer orders or problematic case assortments that continued even a year after figures were showing problems to continue pushing slow-moving product rather than focusing on newer and more popular stuff. Beyond the slow-moving figures, what is happening with the spotty distribution and case assortment planning for this year so far? You've always told us that you monitor what's selling and adjust future case assortments to address problems, yet we haven't seen that lately, why not slip in Wedge and the Gamorrean and the like, truly sought-after figures, instead of just another pass at recarded figures? (We know Wedge and the Gamorrean are slated for return in 2012, but that's over a year after they were needed.)
- Lucasfilm is all of a sudden talking about the February 2012 cinema release of Episode I in 3D as an experiment, one that, should it not live up to their expectations will end the Saga's re-release train then and there. They've also said that the live-action TV series is on hold a few more years. Should the 3D release not pan out, that would leave only the Blu-Ray release coming up this Fall as major entertainment support for the realistic incarnation of the brand. Granted, Hasbro's Star Wars line has survived plenty of waves without entertainment support, but the state of the toy industry seems more brutal, more dire than before. What is Hasbro looking forward to using as support for the main Star Wars movie line should the 3D movie release not pan out? Hasbro hasn't done any major advertising for the main Star Wars movie line in a while, might there be a renewed push into that realm?

Look for a new round of voting soon!