PDA

View Full Version : Fan made replicas and helmets

Pages : [1] 2

sergiurusu
09-20-2011, 07:49 AM
We can see that eFX is moving slowly, Sideshow doesn't really make accurate props (even though their 1:1 busts are cool). Recently I went into fan made props and helmets and I have to say I'm really happy about this decision. The props made by these guys are professionally painted and assembled, with high quality craftsmanship, they are being shipped faster than licensed items, they are also made from original molds, and sometimes cheaper and more accurate than licensed props. This combined with my specific OT Imperial focus, kept me interested in collecting.

Here are some of the 1:1 Star Wars helmets I recently got: SDS (Shepperton Design Studios) Stormtrooper armor, SDS Stormtrooper Hero bucket, SDS Stormtrooper Stunt lid, SDS TIE Fighter Pilot helmet and armor on bust, SiMan Stormtrooper Stunt helmet, TE2 Stormtrooper Stunt helmet, ATA ESB Stormtrooper Stunt helmet, fiberglass Royal Guard helmet, SDS Imperial Gunner bucket, SDS Navy Trooper helmet and fiberglass AT-AT Driver helmet (with some very accurate greeblies).

25395253962539725398253992540025401254032540425405 25406

JediTricks
09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not against fan-made replicas, but what Shepperton is doing I think is very wrong and it bothers me that they have triumphed over Lucas in the UK with the flimsiest of reasonings, especially when it's clear the product they're moving is NOT what they're claiming it is. Sorry, I didn't want to turn this into a controversial post, but it is one of the few things in the SW collecting universe that I think is a great injustice.

Anyway, I have a few fan-made pieces, but only 1 is a true replica rather than a reimagining. Way back when Icons held the SW prop license and were asking outrageous sums for their lightsaber hilts that were woefully inferior junk with cheap mold seams showing everywhere and bad materials, I spent $100 to get a fan-made ROTJ Luke hero saber prop replica. I don't have any pictures right now, but it's really nice, all machined and nicely painted (although the activation box has since been revealed to be inaccurate, but it's minor). They used brass for the neck and activation plate, and unfortunately I wasn't able to keep it in top shape so it's turned somewhere between antique and green, but overall the piece looks great.

I once started the process of having a TPM Obi-Wan saber made, a copy of the Rubies international hilt piece (the US version is thicker and just plain ugly), but the source I had given the machinist was misplaced before all the materials were acquired.

sergiurusu
09-21-2011, 03:48 AM
I didn't want to go into this but since you wanted it here's my opinion. I know about the controversy, I read a lot and still personally I don't mind SDS sells fan made helmets and armors, he is not the only one doing it, in fact his TIE Pilot is the most accurate out there, and I'm not the one saying it, but StarWarsHelmets site. I only agree with the fact that he might not have sculpted the armor itself, but he did only the molding part. Otherwise he is a professional, his stuff is great, and has a superb customer service comparable to Sideshow.

I also don't care that Lucas lost, in fact in a way many Europeans were happy he did, and I don't want to turn this thread in something else by explaining why I believe so as well. There are many other things that are "interesting" with the fan creators like TE stealing money from the fans after promising to make helmets for them or Gino banning Brian Muir on his own site, and so on. This is not what I intended to do with this thread, this thread was started to talk about fan made props, unlicensed props, not just SDS, but TE/TE2, DarkAgent (DA), AP, ATA, Gino, TrooperMaster (TM), helmets that are made from original molds, and which are very accurate and people who know what real quality is don't go only for licensed stuff.

JediTricks
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, the problem is that you opened this thread with over half your "fan-made" collection being Shepperton, they are a lightning rod for controversy, and IMO they're not fan-made at all, they're just an unlicensed scumbag company stealing from Lucasfilm and using false pretenses to grab money from fans. They don't do it for the love of the hobby, they do it because they once had access to materials for a job they were contracted to do, and are now using that access for selfish gains by exploiting a flawed loophole in the UK legal system.

You collect Sideshow, they contract outside factories to manufacture their collectibles. They design their collectibles in-house then work with a factory to develop the tooling for a particular collectible. Whether it's pulling molds from hand-sculpted prototypes, or developing tooling from CAD files, the factory isn't the originator of the design, they are merely realizing the design created by others. So how would you feel, for example, about Sideshow 12" Darth Vader a year after its release the factory involved in its production starts selling a knockoff using the same molds, even using the Sideshow name under the claim of being an instrumental creator of 12" Darth Vader? And what if they didn't actually have access to half the tooling anymore and just created new, inferior-quality tooling to replace it, but charged the same price? In what way is that not wrong? And for this thread's purposes, in what way is that "fan-made"?

Ultimately, I have a problem with the collecting community's double standard when it comes to Shepperton. Whenever you see a piece of Stormtrooper armor that someone bought from one fan and used to turn into their own vacuum-table mold that they themselves can sell, the community comes down pretty hard on those guys. Yet something even worse happens with Shepperton, who isn't a fan company at all even, and the fans look the other way. That's ugly, and it's wrong, and in the long run it hurts the fans who DO go the distance to make product above board - whether it's a garage kit, or someone who actually goes through the trouble to create a company to chase the license so it's done right. You wonder why eFX is moving slowly? Part of the reason is that they've remained a small company due to fans buying inauthentic product from Shepperton - when you look at how much effort and accuracy goes into eFX's true Hero helmet and you compare it to the lesser quality and highly dubious legacy of the Shepperton claimed-Hero helmet, and then you see people flocking to the Shepperton piece because of how cheap it is, that only takes money out of the above-board market for eFX.

sergiurusu
09-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Again I said my intention with this thread was not to talk about SDS and their problems. There are many high end collectors having SDS stuff, including Philip Wise and others, but this is not the issue here. I intended to talk about the fan made items, but if that is too much for this forum, then I guess this thread could be closed/deleted now. Thank you.

Snowtrooper
09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I really like the AT-AT driver helmet. Is that from SDS or did you get it somewhere else?

sergiurusu
09-23-2011, 01:07 AM
I really like the AT-AT driver helmet. Is that from SDS or did you get it somewhere else?

Thanks. It is a fan made helmet, I got it from a 501st member. The AT-AT Driver helmet is in the real movie gray color as per StarWarsHelmets (http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original%20atat%20helmet.htm) review of the screen used AT-AT bucket. It is a a superb helmet, really heavy and sturdy. It feels like a real AT-AT Driver helmet should. One of my favorite SW helmets, the pic simply doesn't do it justice.

It has some very sharp details compared for example with Laws AT-AT which is softer. I have TK-4510 decals on it plus some original greeblies like BOC syphons. It also has Elvistrooper metal greeblies. Maybe in the future if more parts are discovered what they really are I'll upgrade it further. Until then I'm really happy how this turned out, being one of the coolest SW helmets and one of my favs.

As Jez said this is not sure to be made by eFX since the only original remaining one is in private hands.

sergiurusu
09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Finally the great Sandtrooper "Move Along" inspired helmet by Madrid Boba from RPF arrived, it was one of the few I was missing from my bucket collection. And you can see his talent at work again, all the attention to details and a wonderful assembly. A superb helmet! :)
25413 (http://www.therpf.com/f13/sold-stop-ship-helmet-sale-replica-100624/)25414 (http://www.therpf.com/f13/sold-stop-ship-helmet-sale-replica-100624/)25415 (http://www.therpf.com/f13/sold-stop-ship-helmet-sale-replica-100624/)25412 (http://www.therpf.com/f13/sold-stop-ship-helmet-sale-replica-100624/)

Madrid Boba made a few superb helmets as seen here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-sandtrooper-he (http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-sandtrooper-helmet-almost-finished-93971/)lmet-almost-finished-93971/ (http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-sandtrooper-helmet-almost-finished-93971/)
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-new-esb-stormtrooper-helmet-replica-105508/
http://www.therpf.com/f13/s-o-l-d-esb-stormtrooper-helmet-replica-cheaper-than-christies-105507/
http://www.therpf.com/f13/sold-stop-ship-helmet-sale-replica-100624/

Jayspawn
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a custom ROTJ Luke Lightsaber hilt. Didn't get the MR version when came out regretfully but the custom is very well done. I still want an MR version when I get around to it.

I customized my own Royal Guard helmet which came out great.

Snowtrooper
09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I really like the Sandtrooper helmet. I'm still pretty new to prop collecting(2 efx stormtrooper helmets & waiting on my efx vader limited), but I'm starting to appreciate all of the bumps, scratches, and deformities alot more. I'm sure you've seen the "Move along" and "Stop that ship!" sandtrooper helmets over on starwarshelmets.com. This looks like a good representation of those two. I wish I had the dough for a sweet collection like you have.

On the AT-AT driver helmet, If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Also, is the person you bought it from still selling them? The AT-AT driver is one of my favorite helmet designs and I'd like to add one to my collection.

sergiurusu
09-24-2011, 05:19 AM
I customized my own Royal Guard helmet which came out great.

Who made the Royal Guard helmet, was it a Don Post? Please do you have any pics?

I really like the Sandtrooper helmet. I'm still pretty new to prop collecting(2 efx stormtrooper helmets & waiting on my efx vader limited), but I'm starting to appreciate all of the bumps, scratches, and deformities alot more. I'm sure you've seen the "Move along" and "Stop that ship!" sandtrooper helmets over on starwarshelmets.com. This looks like a good representation of those two. I wish I had the dough for a sweet collection like you have.

On the AT-AT driver helmet, If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Also, is the person you bought it from still selling them? The AT-AT driver is one of my favorite helmet designs and I'd like to add one to my collection.

The fiberglass AT-AT helmet you see above I got from a RPF member. From what I know there are 3 talented custom creators who also make them: Cal from Farawaycreations.com, Dark Agent (aka dorsettrooper) and Dan Laws. In fact I already got my second AT-AT bucket, this time from DarkAgent (DA) who makes helmets for 501st too. I'll post pics soon, I just need to upgrade it a bit with better hoses.

Here are some pics of the AT-AT helmet DA showed me (not my helmet) - if you want more details about this helmet, or his Stormtrooper or TIE Pilot buckets drop me a PM and I'll send you all the info and pics I received from him:

Snowtrooper
09-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info sergiurusu. I'm looking at one from Farawaycreations and hopefully get a quote sometime soon. The nice thing is, that he's only one state over(Colorado).

sergiurusu
09-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the info sergiurusu. I'm looking at one from Farawaycreations and hopefully get a quote sometime soon. The nice thing is, that he's only one state over(Colorado).

No problem. :) They are making 2 helmets for me. It took some time, so the waiting was hard, and hopefully the result is great. When I'll get my 2 buckets from them I'll show them. Their AT-AT lid is still in prototype state IIRC. DarkAgent has ready ones, here it is mine from DA, also compared to my older AT-AT lid:

JediTricks
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks. It is a fan made helmet, I got it from a 501st member. The AT-AT Driver helmet is in the real movie gray color as per StarWarsHelmets (http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original%20atat%20helmet.htm) review of the screen used AT-AT bucket. It is a a superb helmet, really heavy and sturdy. It feels like a real AT-AT Driver helmet should.That's an interesting comment. "It feels like a real one should," does that make it a prop replica or something fantasy-based? The helmets for a lot of these sorts of things were done very thin and light and meant to work for the camera alone (it's why the Batmobile is purple on the set, because of how the camera interprets that into black while real black gets washed out). So should they feel like something worn by an actor, or by a character?

Thinking about it, I suppose I personally prefer the fiction-based replica, something that feels substantial like it could be used in that universe, it's why I never bought any of the resin stunt saber hilts despite their looking so good for so little money.

As Jez said this is not sure to be made by eFX since the only original remaining one is in private hands.That shouldn't hamper it, eFX has made replicas from private collectors' pieces, they were crowing about that with the authentic Stormtrooper Hero helmet replica since Lucasfilm's only one of the 5 is frankensteined with Stunt parts. So unless that private collector doesn't want to allow it, I don't see that being an issue.

I have a custom ROTJ Luke Lightsaber hilt. Didn't get the MR version when came out regretfully but the custom is very well done. I still want an MR version when I get around to it.

I customized my own Royal Guard helmet which came out great.Ha, we're fan-made saber buddies! :D How much did you pay for yours? I almost regret not having the MR version, but wasn't it like $300? And the screen-inaccurate version was $500? I still to this day don't understand that Elite version, what's the point?

My step-father isn't way into SW, but he went to Celebration IV after I told him about the first few days to take photos and see the sights, and he wanted to do a whole Royal Guard costume after seeing them at the Boba Fett Rocketman thing.

sergiurusu
09-27-2011, 02:26 AM
That's an interesting comment. "It feels like a real one should," does that make it a prop replica or something fantasy-based? The helmets for a lot of these sorts of things were done very thin and light and meant to work for the camera alone (it's why the Batmobile is purple on the set, because of how the camera interprets that into black while real black gets washed out). So should they feel like something worn by an actor, or by a character?

Thinking about it, I suppose I personally prefer the fiction-based replica, something that feels substantial like it could be used in that universe, it's why I never bought any of the resin stunt saber hilts despite their looking so good for so little money.

It feels like a real helmet should: heavy and sturdy almost ready to go to battle with it, and not flimsy like the Star Wars screen used helmets were. Hope you understand what I mean now.

That shouldn't hamper it, eFX has made replicas from private collectors' pieces, they were crowing about that with the authentic Stormtrooper Hero helmet replica since Lucasfilm's only one of the 5 is frankensteined with Stunt parts. So unless that private collector doesn't want to allow it, I don't see that being an issue.

It is in private hands and the owner is not interested in having molds made after it. BTW the MR/eFX Stormtrooper LE is not what was advertised, it is a beautiful lid, but it was just scanned and has some inaccuracies, even compared to the fan made helmets. So don't trust MR or eFX that much, we'll have to see how their new Hero Legend will look like...

Snowtrooper
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I think the new efx Hero Stormtrooper will be pretty good. They are taking a screen used helmet, disassembling it, and casting new molds from it. Plus Gino, who worked on the Vader Legend/Limited, is also working on this project. I've seen some of the ST helmets he's made in the past and they look very good to me.

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 01:03 PM
That's what I've been told by both Bryan and Gino, it's not just a passive scan, it's active mold methods that won't damage the pieces. If it was a scan like the LE, it'd be nowhere near worth the price of admission.

sergiurusu
09-28-2011, 12:31 AM
I know it is made from original screen used helmet, but so are many Stunt buckets available like SiMan, CfO, TE/TE2 etc. (personally I like the rough Stunt much more than Hero). To be honest I'm afraid eFX will clean up the helmet too much.

Snowtrooper
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm sure there will be some cleanup with the efx helmet. There were faults that were cleaned up on the Vader legend. I think Gino explained over on RPF why it had to be this way. In short, he said its too hard to get every fault done on a mass produced item like this, so they pick and choose which ones will make it. I guess if you want to make sure every scratch and deformity is there, a fan built one is probably the way to go.

sergiurusu
09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I read that too, we'll see when they are released. Tomorrow a new helmet might be here.

sergiurusu
10-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Kropserkel Scout Trooper helmet, a very cool bucket, 501st approved - ordered loooong ago, only yesterday arrived

sergiurusu
10-21-2011, 07:23 AM
MonCal AT-ST Driver helmet just arrived, the pics do it no justice, it is a superb and quite rare bucket.

Snowtrooper
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
They both look great!! The scout trooper looks spot on. I take it that it has a working visor as well. What kind of material is the AT-ST helmet made of? When the ewoks are bashing the AT-ST drivers around, they seem like they are made of some kind of flimsy material.

I really have to quit looking at your pictures sergiurusu. They keep making me want to acquire more headgear.

sergiurusu
10-22-2011, 01:41 AM
The KS Scout lid is the most accurate existing for now (considered 501st Elite), but needs to have the snout and some decals upgraded. For me is ok as it is.

The AT-ST Driver is indeed flimsy but many of the original SW helmets were this way. People only seeing MR/eFX clone or stormtrooper helmets really don't know how these fan made (and some from original molds) helmets really feel.

Since I took the pics without the mannequin head, here are some shots that will show how this helmet really fits:

sergiurusu
10-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Cast from Original (CfO) ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet with screen accurate decals and inner padding - it is also one of the last from the series since Joe R. the owner of the ROTJ screen used bucket sold the molds

sergiurusu
11-02-2011, 04:05 AM
MonCal Snowtrooper helmet, one of the last I wanted for my collection.

Snowtrooper
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Looks like two more awesome helmets to add to your collection.

What is the front of the snowtrooper helmet made of? Is it a vinyl type of material?

sergiurusu
11-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Looks like two more awesome helmets to add to your collection.

What is the front of the snowtrooper helmet made of? Is it a vinyl type of material?

Thank you. The shroud is indeed made of vinyl, like the originals were made too. Only the Snowtrooper Commader had a full ABS helmet

Regular Snowtrooper:

sergiurusu
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Recently I got a real deactivated British Sterling Mk4/L2A3 SMG Stormtrooper blaster with real M-40 Tank scope on it, and accurate T-tracks. It even comes with a cool metal plaque and an official deactivation certificate from UK (so is legal here too).

It is in PERFECT condition, since I've seen others with rust, and even with damage on various parts. Wanted this for years, but finally got it from a RPF UK member for a hell of a price. Couldn't believe my eyes, and is the real deal, not a replica.

It is simply awesome indeed, all the details that makes this very close to a screen used thing. Cannot get better than this, I got my blaster collection to a new level. A chapter of my collecting just closed, and another has opened.

Snowtrooper
04-13-2012, 02:44 PM
It doesn't get much better than that. I'd rather have the real gun like you have rather than a plastic knock off.

sergiurusu
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
It doesn't get much better than that. I'd rather have the real gun like you have rather than a plastic knock off.

Indeed. This real Sterling SMG also known by us (after some modifications) as E-11 Stormtrooper blaster if not deactivated it would be a REAL weapon which could shoot bullets, which is not allowed on many countries. That is why in ESB and especially on ROTJ Lucas didn't even use real Sterling sub-machine guns anymore, but went instead in many cases with resin copies. This is the closest thing to what was used in A New Hope. It is a replica only because it replicates what was used in the movies but otherwise it uses exactly the same components used by ILM.

You could read more about the weapons of Star Wars here: http://www.partsofsw.com/index.htm , mine is BlasTech E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster Version C (also used by Han solo in shooting the comm panel in the detention cell bloc scene). Or you can look here in the Behind the Scenes section: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_blaster_rifle

Quote: "The E-11 blaster rifle prop was built from a British-made Sterling L2A3 sub-machine gun. To give the actors something to react to and to give rotoscoping artists timing reference when animating blaster bolts, the E-11 rifle props in the original trilogy—which were still fully operational firearms—were loaded with blank cartridges that were then fired to provide a practical effect. Because of this, expended 9mm casings can be seen ejecting from the props in several scenes in A New Hope, particularly during the assault on the Death Star's detention level. This can also be seen briefly in a closeup of Lando firing one in The Empire Strikes Back."

The pic below shows a real Sterling and an ROTJ E-11 blaster (mine is ANH).

Now a short comparison of the blasters I have: Sterling SMG, MR (I have 2 MR blasters, one complete with everything, and one loose), SDS, and Hasbro (unmodified).

The Master Replicas version is quite cool, but is about 90-95% accurate. The cocking mechanism (handle) and the spring on the right side of the real SMG is completely missing on the MR, that part is just a bit dented as a shape to what it should have been there, but no real hole. I know there were 501st customizing it and cutting that out, but is a hell of a job to do it since MR is metal too.

The weight is almost identical on both SMG and MR, thus quite impractical for 501st for trooping - heavy and not very comfortable. Trigger on MR is not working, neither is the A/S selector switch. The folding stock is one of the cool things MR could have done to make it work - I've seen people upgrading MR E-11 to have folding stock and seems it was not very difficult. Since MR is a static prop is understandable on all these points. It is a bit tricky to completely unfold the stock on SMG, but once you get the trick it is really fantastic - you need to push the end cap of the blaster in and also push the underside button (they both have springs) and only then the stock will open up completely and fit in the back perfectly.

My T-tracks seem more accurate than the MR ones, so is the scope (original M-40). But still the MR scope seems to be an exact copy after M-38/M-40 tank scope anyway (so quite accurate), and not after M-19 (which also were used on E-11 blasters), of course the MR blaster scope has that red computer targeting grid, which is very cool on its own. The MR blaster is cleaned up looking very pristine, also having all the specific numbers and codes removed (maybe because of the gun laws).

The SDS E-11 is copied after a similar real Sterling which belongs to CfO, and thus is very accurate, on some components even better than MR (SDS does have partial cocking mechanism and even a spring like tube inside, plus a Hengstler counter copy and metal cylinders), on others it looses some sharpness, but being made of plastic is kind of understandable. After all the SDS blaster, as being made of PVC tubing and plastic/resin, is excellent for trooping but will look cool on display as well.

The Hasbro Stormtrooper blaster is what you see LOL, unmodified it looks very inaccurate, but with some upgrading kits it may look cool too. Of course there are other fan made blasters or kits like hyperfirm or doopydoos which are very accurate, but more expensive than Hasbro version.

In the end both MR and the SDS are quite accurate on their own, some work may be done on both to make them even more accurate, but they are very cool nevertheless. But none is even close to holding a piece like the real SMG. The seller told me I won't let it off my hands and he was totally right. Now just to get a cool stand for it - working in progress already ;)

It seems there as many as 6 or even 8 different versions of E-11 in ANH (according to different scources), some with all greeblies (Hengstler counter and cylinders on the magazine - like SDS), some with just the Hengstler, some with just the cylinders (like Han's - and mine) and others with nothing (like MR).

Mine just looks like this one:

Or here: http://www.partsofsw.com/index.htm it is like the BlasTech E-11 (Stormtrooper Blaster) ANH Version C aka Han Solo's blaster from the detention cell block, when he is shooting at the comm panel. It seems the seller intention was indeed to make it like that, that's why no Hengstler on it, just the 2 cylinders.

BTW an interesting read (http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f45/uk-law-buying-replica-screen-used-gun-143812/) about how deactivated guns are allowed but not replicas LOL. Really stupid...

sergiurusu
04-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Finally a short video of the stunning RS Prop Masters (SiMan) Stormtrooper helmet, the most accurate Stunt helmet out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPucFgF6zJc

Snowtrooper
05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Once again, another great addition and a nice video too. I may have to look into picking up one of these for myself. Perhaps a dumb question to ask, but is it cast off of an original?

sergiurusu
05-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Once again, another great addition and a nice video too. I may have to look into picking up one of these for myself. Perhaps a dumb question to ask, but is it cast off of an original?

It is indeed made from original molds, check out RPF :) mine is from the first edition too. Too bad the original one I got #44 was lost in mail but the guy decided to send me one of their own as replacement and a new plaque. The helmet is simply superb.

Snowtrooper
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I like how you can get the finished or unifnished version to customize yourself. Those are some great pics. Is he planning on doing another run sometime soon? I think I'd like to get one of these as the "stunt helmet" for my collection and get the efx version for the "hero" version.

sergiurusu
05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
I'd say just contact them and you might be surprised they might have one ready to go. :)

Snowtrooper
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Does he have a website or do I contact him on RPF? Also, was he having some trouble with items getting lost in the mail? Sounds like you and several other people had this problem.

sergiurusu
05-05-2012, 02:08 AM
You can find Bob and Simon on RPF and FISD. You have to ask for insured airmail shipping not just regular surface mail. They first sent packages regular mail and they didn't arrive.

sergiurusu
05-05-2012, 04:07 AM
There is one for sale at RPF: http://www.therpf.com/f13/rs-prop-masters-anh-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet-146765/

Snowtrooper
05-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info Sergiurusu. I'll look into it.

sergiurusu
05-25-2012, 01:01 AM
The Sterling Mk4/L2A3 Stormtrooper blaster conversion display with the new stand and extra plaque, as a good friend of mine said the "Legend Stormtrooper blaster":

Despite the fact that my blaster is specific to a scene and not necessarily needed an upgrade, I thought in the future I might want to add some extra accurate greeblies to it like a Hengstler counter, especially the very rare Eagle version, which was used on the E-11 in SW. So I painted the Eagle Hengstler I have, and I will make a bracket for it.

The good thing is that attaching the Hengstler will be not invasive or damaging at all since it will be using the scope rail for this purpose. Easy to add on and easy to remove, just playing with a couple of screws.

The painted accurate Eagle Hengstler:

Snowtrooper
05-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I saw a Sterling gun at a gun show a few weeks ago. It was around $350. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it was a good price for it. I was also unsure of which version it had to be for a proper stormtrooper blaster.

sergiurusu
05-26-2012, 02:16 AM
I saw a Sterling gun at a gun show a few weeks ago. It was around $350. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it was a good price for it. I was also unsure of which version it had to be for a proper stormtrooper blaster.

From what I know old guns like a Sterling are not allowed if not deactivated, not even in US - you need to be VERY careful. When talking about a real deactivated Sterling Mk4/L2A3 converted as E-11 Stormtrooper blaster there are a few things you might want to know first:

1. First thing is to read carefully the gun laws regarding the deactivated/demilled weapons in your country and especially your state. VERY important to know if allowed to own one and in what conditions. There are 501st members from US who didn't get a real Sterling conversion because they were not allowed by law (California IIRC, but could be others too). It's easier to get a real gun in US than a deactivated one. Insane but true...

2. Second. You need greeblies. The Sterling itself is just a part of the equation. See here: http://www.partsofsw.com/index.htm and click on the purple Item button on the lower part of the page and then go to: BlasTech E-11 (Stormtrooper Blaster) , and read the info there. You can go 2 ways for the greeblies: originals or resin copies. Personally I have originals on the Sterling and copies on the SDS blaster.

a. Thus first you need a tank scope: M-38, M-40 or M-19. All rare and expensive ($100-$400). Then you need to make a scope rail for it to hold the scope. b. You also need accurate T-tracks to be put on the barrel of the gun ($20-$80). c. Then you might want a Hengstler counter to attack to the scope rail, even better if you get the accurate but the VERY rare Eagle version with metal socket ($70-$250) - I just got an Eagle one after looking for one since last year. d. The last thing you might want is a set of cylinders ($70-$150). So in the end these greeblies are quite expensive and hard to find.

The MR Stormtrooper blaster doesn't come with replica cylinders or Hengstler, just with scope and rail and T-tracks. But is quite accurate.

3. Third, you need your gun to be deactivated by US laws and not EU for example. In EU a deactivation means a bit of reworking inside and welding by a professional authorized gunsmith, the overall appearance of the weapon remains identical. But deactivation in US means that gun is cut into pieces like this:

Thus you need someone to get it fixed for you, with authorization of course. There you have the spring removed and many parts welded back. So a Sterling deactivated in US will never look as good as one deactivated in EU. And it is not allowed to own in US an EU deactivated weapon. Sorry.

4. If you get a deactivated, but unmodified Sterling you need to cut the magazine to be shorter like it was in SW.

5. You need to get a Sterling MK4 L2A3 and not other versions.

Still you can get a cool deactivated Sterling converted as E-11 Stormtrooper blaster from here: http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swste11.html and here: http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swstbl.html (some greeblies might need updating and changing) or a simple demilled Sterling from here: http://www.ima-usa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sterling&x=0&y=0 (but in last case you need all those greeblies)

DO NOT buy a real working Sterling because the last time we meet will be with you behind bars. Only deactivated/demilled as per your country and state laws!

I haven't seen too many Sterlings for sale especially if modified/converted as Stormtrooper blasters. On forums there were not more than 4 or 5 in many years (one was mine). The last UK deactivated blaster sold last week on RPF for $1000 plus shipping (UK only) and it sold VERY fast. These are RARE and hard to find and not all countries allow them. And if you have extra greeblies on them they are even more expensive. But real deactivated Sterlings professionally converted as E-11 are the closest thing to the real SW prop. Nothing will beat that.

Or you can go for the MR Stormtrooper blaster, which is easier to acquire due to more permissive laws, but also quite expensive.

Glad I collect only OT Imperials otherwise I would have to go for Denix Mausers and others LOL.

Sergiu

BTW my own real Hengstler Eagle counter, painted black:

Snowtrooper
05-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow! Quite a bit more to it than I thought. The gun I was looking at, appeared to be a US made, semi-auto version of the Sterling. Since I live in a rural area in Nebraska, gun laws are very relaxed, so the gun is 100% legal around here. I don't think I'd have to worry about deactivating the gun either. As long as I'm not cutting the barrel or messing with the bolt, receiver, or firing mechanism in any way, it should be just fine. It sounds like the greeblies would be the real problem. Tracking down all of the real parts could take some time.

sergiurusu
05-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Wow! Quite a bit more to it than I thought. The gun I was looking at, appeared to be a US made, semi-auto version of the Sterling. Since I live in a rural area in Nebraska, gun laws are very relaxed, so the gun is 100% legal around here. I don't think I'd have to worry about deactivating the gun either. As long as I'm not cutting the barrel or messing with the bolt, receiver, or firing mechanism in any way, it should be just fine. It sounds like the greeblies would be the real problem. Tracking down all of the real parts could take some time.

I would say again to be careful, better visit the 501st TK forums (FISD/Whitearmor) and inform yourself first, a relaxed law doesn't mean always what it seems regarding modified weapons in any way. Also you need a Sterling MK4 L2A3. There are quite a few versions out there, including a Canadian one, and they are not exactly like the one used in SW, close but not close enough.

Snowtrooper
05-27-2012, 09:26 AM
I will heed your warning if I ever decide to pick up one of these. Thanks sergiurusu.

sergiurusu
05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
No problem. You could also try one of the links in the post above.

sergiurusu
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I finally upgraded my converted Sterling blaster further with a real Eagle Hengstler. One more step in making it complete, not that it wasn't complete before, since as I already said, it was accurate to a specific scene from ANH, where Han shoots the comm panel in the detention area, and there his blaster doesn't have Hengstler, just cylinders. The next step might be to upgrade the cylinders with the newly discovered TCC capacitors and maybe the dual wires.

Snowtrooper
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Finally a short video of the stunning RS Prop Masters (SiMan) Stormtrooper helmet, the most accurate Stunt helmet out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPucFgF6zJc

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. They offer it in PVC or ABS. What do you think the better material is? My main concern is which will stand up the best to yellowing and cracking over time.

sergiurusu
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
I would recommend ABS of the two. As for cracking or yellowing in time that could happen to any toy, figure or prop we have. Recently the ABS is coated so it is more resilient.

Snowtrooper
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Well I got my RS Propmaster stunt helmet today. They definitely did not do any cleanup on it. It has more bumps and warts on it than I first thought. Don't think I'm complaining. This thing is a work of art. Its the next best thing to actually owning a screen used helmet. I'll try to post some pics(along with my other recently acquired props) sometime in the near future. This has been the busiest summer I can ever remember.

sergiurusu
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Well I got my RS Propmaster stunt helmet today. They definitely did not do any cleanup on it. It has more bumps and warts on it than I first thought. Don't think I'm complaining. This thing is a work of art. Its the next best thing to actually owning a screen used helmet. I'll try to post some pics(along with my other recently acquired props) sometime in the near future. This has been the busiest summer I can ever remember.

Congrats! Easily the best Stunt out there.

My converted Sterling is now almost finished, with real Eagle Hengstler, genuine M-40 scope (and a M-38 too), accurate T-tracks, and the new cylinders:

The 2 cylinders sets I got from Joerg, the one with dual small capacitors (left) and the one with 3 holes (right) arrived. In the one with the 3 holes I added the newly found screen accurate small capacitors (http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7342/008zsg.jpg) I received from a good friend after painting them, they are just attached with their wires and no glue or anything else, so if I want to reposition them or take them off, it can be done in seconds.

The entire ensemble is connected to the blaster with 2 flat and powerful rare earth magnets (glued to the cylinders and painted black), thus I can exchange between the two options and also change the position of the cylinders if want to - too bad Master Replicas didn't add some of these greeblies to their version of the Stormtrooper blaster, it would have been so much better:

Snowtrooper
07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Great job Serg!! Keep us all updated.

sergiurusu
07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Great job Serg!! Keep us all updated.

Thank you. Waiting to see the pics of your RS Prop Masters helmet too :)

sergiurusu
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
This is not a helmet but it is a fan made 1:1 bust. The Elm-Studios Emperor Palpatine bust was finally released - edition of only #10 busts:

Snowtrooper
08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Very nice! Its got the creepy stare and everything. If you place it in the room right, you could probably make some unsuspecting person jump when they enter.

Snowtrooper
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Thank you. Waiting to see the pics of your RS Prop Masters helmet too :)

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Its been a very busy summer for me. I took a few pics, but they don't look very good since I'm not the best photographer in the world. One day soon, I'm going to take a whole day, try and properly photograph all of my acquisitions, and post them. I'm also waiting on my Vader Limited, so I can do everything in one shot.

sergiurusu
08-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Very nice! Its got the creepy stare and everything. If you place it in the room right, you could probably make some unsuspecting person jump when they enter.

The problem with pics above is that in the Palpatine character in ROTJ lighting was very important. My own bust will arrive next week and thus I will try then to bring out the best of it with my poor but better lighting camera.

sergiurusu
08-20-2012, 06:38 AM
The Elm-Studios life-size Emperor Palpatine bust arrived, REALLY COOL!! It really is very impressive in person, just like having the genuine ROTJ Emperor in the house. The only problem is with the plaque which arrived damaged. I will get a Ian McDiarmid autograph on a MR wide plaque anyway (C6 send-in service with Official Pix). Some fast pics, more later.

Snowtrooper
08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Looks great!! It'd be cool to try some different lighting angles to see if you can max out the creep factor. Not that he doesn't look creepy to begin with.

On another note, I got an email from redfordfilms that they will charge my card for the Limited Vader on Friday and they will start shipping them out next week. ITS CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST!!!

sergiurusu
08-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Looks great!! It'd be cool to try some different lighting angles to see if you can max out the creep factor. Not that he doesn't look creepy to begin with.

On another note, I got an email from redfordfilms that they will charge my card for the Limited Vader on Friday and they will start shipping them out next week. ITS CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST!!!

As promised some more pics. BTW congrats on the Vader helmet! :)

Snowtrooper
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I like the angle and lighting on the last two the best.

sergiurusu
08-23-2012, 04:13 AM
I like the angle and lighting on the last two the best.

Thanks.

Temporary display for Palpatine bust:

Snowtrooper
08-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Wherever you decide to display it, I think I'd go with the light placement like that. It really captures the Emperor's look in ROTJ.

sergiurusu
08-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Wherever you decide to display it, I think I'd go with the light placement like that. It really captures the Emperor's look in ROTJ.

Thanks. :) Personally I never really liked the Sideshow Palpatine bust, I passed on it numerous times, it had that weird grin which was not too ROTJ, but more PT. I always wanted an Emperor as seen in ROTJ, and this was it: the apparently calm, but evil and powerful Emperor, who manipulated everyone including Vader, Luke and the Rebels, who looked aged, but in fact, behind the old man mask, well hidden, there were the real Dark Force powers. This bust really shows that concealed power of the Emperor.

sergiurusu
08-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Last picture of the Emperor for now:

I'll be in hospital for a few days, having some medical examinations. Hope the replacement plaque will arrive soon as well, but I'm also waiting for the C6 Ian McDiarmid autographed plaque too, I went with Official Pix and their cool C6 send-in service.

Snowtrooper
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Hope all goes well for you.

sergiurusu
08-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Hope all goes well for you.

Thank you.

Snowtrooper
09-10-2012, 08:18 PM
It's finally here! ! I finally received my Vader helmet today(#368). Even though it is only the Limited version, it still great. I was surprised that even though it was cleaned up, it still retains alot of "defects". I'll try to post pics of this and some of my other acquisitions hopefully soon.

JediTricks
09-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Congrats, Snowtrooper! Having seen the Limited next to the Legend at Comic-Con, I appreciate them both (I saw them together at Wondercon in April but I was sick and don't remember them that well) but the Limited actually seemed more like the one I'd want to own, the brush strokes and little extra flaws on the Legend seemed cool but not quite the experience I'd want since it's a replica of one-off issues. Redford has the Limited at a great price of $200 off retail, that's what you got, right? You definitely shouldn't feel like you "only" got a Limited, that's for sure. So, did you have fun unboxing it? Can't wait to see the photos.

I finally unboxed the ANH Luke X-wing Helmet I won at Comic-Con (trivia question from eFX at the Lucaslicensing SW Collectibles Update panel, I was the only person who knew the answer), it's the first unboxing I've done on a helmet since I photographed the AOTC Clone Trooper helmet a few years ago (sadly I had to mail that piece along to the next outlet, it gave me a whole new appreciation for that helmet design). The X-wing helmet is very nice, I like the way the piece feels in-hand, it has substance even if that substance isn't accurate to the prop. The deco looks great aside from an insignia on the lower left "cheek" which looks lazy and wasn't in the film in anywhere I could see. Also the weathering is simply not accurate to any scene, but I like it this way as it looks like someone recently used it. Some of the inaccuracies I knew about are there like the off-center V and the placement of the Rebel insignia, pretty nice. Without the leather ear pads I was able to wear it even, and it's no wonder Luke had to use the Force to make that shot! ;) I'm not so sure about the angle of the mic cable sticking out of the lining, but otherwise it's quite a nice setup. Assembling the stand correctly was a little challenging because there's a small clear washer and it required logic to discern where it went, also I dislodged the metal base of the chief acrylic and had to realign it. It's already gotten a lot of attention from my guests, I have it on the table with a bunch of my birthday and Comic-Con hauls but it still stands out. So there you have it, my first helmet replica, even though it's eFX and not fan-made.

Oh, and it's #727/750.

Snowtrooper
09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the limited version. This and the siman stuntrooper helmet are the pride of my collection. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I really savored there unboxing. Took my own sweet time putting the stand and helmet together. I wish i would've gotten in on that $200 off deal that redfordfilms offered. I preordered with them last year for the full price. When i get some time I'll try to get some pics posted.

I got the Luke X-Wing helmet earlier this year and I really like this as well. It's pretty well done and i don't mind that its made out of fiberglass either. The weathering could be done a little better, but that's my only complaint.

JediTricks
09-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the limited version. This and the siman stuntrooper helmet are the pride of my collection. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I really savored there unboxing. Took my own sweet time putting the stand and helmet together. I wish i would've gotten in on that $200 off deal that redfordfilms offered. I preordered with them last year for the full price. When i get some time I'll try to get some pics posted.

I got the Luke X-Wing helmet earlier this year and I really like this as well. It's pretty well done and i don't mind that its made out of fiberglass either. The weathering could be done a little better, but that's my only complaint.Good, good, just wanted to be sure, I can't imagine not digging it even if you did pay full price.

Cool on the Luke X-wing helmet, glad you dig that as well. My sister saw the weathering last night and was very impressed, so if you're not a fanatical obsessive fan like we are it's great-looking, I had to convince her nothing would happen if she put her hand on it.

My 2 nagging flaws with the helmet are
A) The Rebel insignia isn't quite big enough, so it's set in the wrong place (this is a very nitpicky one, but I can't seem to shake it);
B) Having it in person from other angles, I can't help but see the Vietnam-era pilot helmet it's based off! :D

Snowtrooper
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
The base from the efx Vader is huge when compared to the stands from other efx products(17"x16" I believe). By itself, I think it looks a bit odd. However, it makes it ideal for placing a cover on. Some guys over on RS have had an acrylic cover made for it and it looks good on it, not to mention keeping the dust away. I've got one on order from Acrylic-Designs out of Arizona. They have already made some for other efx Vader owners, who have had nothing but good things to say about them.

JT, your absolutely right about the Vietnam pilot helmet being pretty obvious on the X-Wing helmet. If you got rid of the mohawk and painted it olive drab, it would like something out of Apocalypse Now.

Snowtrooper
09-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I got my CFO ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet today. I had the clean version made with the original style webbing in it. It definitely has a different look from the ANH/ESB versions. I'd have to say that it seems more warped than the ANH/ESB, which is great IMO. I remember reading somewhere that the ROTJ version was just a recast of an ANH helmet, so I thought it seems a little odd that it is actually more warped. I think CFO used thicker ABS than the SiMan helmet, or it just seems that way. Its very well made and has a very solid feel to it. Now all I need is a hero ANH & ESB stormtrooper helmets and I'll have all the stormtrooper helmets I want........maybe.

sergiurusu
09-27-2012, 02:33 AM
I got my CFO ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet today. I had the clean version made with the original style webbing in it. It definitely has a different look from the ANH/ESB versions. I'd have to say that it seems more warped than the ANH/ESB, which is great IMO. I remember reading somewhere that the ROTJ version was just a recast of an ANH helmet, so I thought it seems a little odd that it is actually more warped. I think CFO used thicker ABS than the SiMan helmet, or it just seems that way. Its very well made and has a very solid feel to it. Now all I need is a hero ANH & ESB stormtrooper helmets and I'll have all the stormtrooper helmets I want........maybe.

Congrats! CfO is a beautiful helmet, mine was the last from the Joe R. mold. Some people don't like the wonky narrow look of the ROTJ TK helmets but I think they are neat. The details are a bit more soft than on ANH and ESB helmets, ears are glued on, and indeed there were different stickers used for ROTJ. Do you have any pics?

Here is mine:

http://youtu.be/bYAvC_clmq4

Snowtrooper
09-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't have any pics for right now. I have a bunch of props that I want to take pics of and post here, but I want to do a good job on it an not just half *** it. When I do get to it, there will be alot of pics.

When I first ordered the CFO helmet, I knew i would like it, but I figured probably not as much as the SiMan helmet. Now that I have it in hand, I think it ranks right up there. It doesn't have as many warts and bumps like the Siman helmet, but I sure like how warped and deformed the thing is. Thats the beauty of it. Whats the story behind the molds? You said you have one of the last from the Joe R mold. I assume that mine is from a different one. Is one mold better from the other, or just different?

sergiurusu
09-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Joe R. owns a screen used ROTJ helmet with all the papers and everything. He made a mold and CfO used it for a few helmets. Then the mold was sold to someone else alas.

JediTricks
09-29-2012, 01:59 AM
The base from the efx Vader is huge when compared to the stands from other efx products(17"x16" I believe). By itself, I think it looks a bit odd. However, it makes it ideal for placing a cover on. Some guys over on RS have had an acrylic cover made for it and it looks good on it, not to mention keeping the dust away. I've got one on order from Acrylic-Designs out of Arizona. They have already made some for other efx Vader owners, who have had nothing but good things to say about them.

JT, your absolutely right about the Vietnam pilot helmet being pretty obvious on the X-Wing helmet. If you got rid of the mohawk and painted it olive drab, it would like something out of Apocalypse Now.Acrylic case, nice. I'm lucky that the X-wing helmet is pre-weathered, makes dust a no-problem. :D

The mowhawk and visor really are all that stand between it and a lot of war flicks. I did some research and it appears they built out the upper part beyond just the mowhawk, yet somehow that military helmet look shows right through once you see it in person. I still dig the whole thing though.

I got my CFO ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet today. I had the clean version made with the original style webbing in it. It definitely has a different look from the ANH/ESB versions. I'd have to say that it seems more warped than the ANH/ESB, which is great IMO. I remember reading somewhere that the ROTJ version was just a recast of an ANH helmet, so I thought it seems a little odd that it is actually more warped. I think CFO used thicker ABS than the SiMan helmet, or it just seems that way. Its very well made and has a very solid feel to it. Now all I need is a hero ANH & ESB stormtrooper helmets and I'll have all the stormtrooper helmets I want........maybe.Pretty killer. How much did it run you?

I saw photos of the uglied up CFO ROTJ bucket, I think it's a good call that you went with clean, just feels somehow more right despite not being as accurate.

I want to get an ESB helmet I think, but haven't seen many, and I am kinda torn on the hero bubble lenses thing from the ANH helmet as I do prefer that look.

Congrats! CfO is a beautiful helmet, mine was the last from the Joe R. mold. Some people don't like the wonky narrow look of the ROTJ TK helmets but I think they are neat. The details are a bit more soft than on ANH and ESB helmets, ears are glued on, and indeed there were different stickers used for ROTJ. Do you have any pics?

Here is mine:

http://youtu.be/bYAvC_clmq4The stickers on the ROTJ one, yikes. Someone out there took that CFO and put the same level of quality (or lack thereof) on it and man does it look different.

sergiurusu
09-29-2012, 08:36 AM
The stickers on the ROTJ one, yikes. Someone out there took that CFO and put the same level of quality (or lack thereof) on it and man does it look different.

Not sure what to understand from your message but CfO makes ROTJ helmets and not ANH or ESB. The decals and stickers are VERY accurate being made from the screen used Joe R. helmet. Yeah, even the tube stripes are very accurate and they are quite different from the ANH and ESB versions. CfO offers clean or weathered helmets, personally I went with clean, though one day I might go with another, weathered this time, especially since they use a different mold.

Snowtrooper
09-29-2012, 09:46 AM
JT, the helmet set me back $608(I hope my wife doesn't read these forums), that includes trackable shipping and getting the original style of webbing inside. I decided to get the clean version because it was an extra $40 for the weathering, which made it only look a little bit dirty. As far as accuracy, its not accurate compared to stormtroopers on Endor, but its just fine for those on the DSII.

If you are wanting an ESB helmet, I would recommend having a SiMan stuntrooper helmet made up in ESB colors. I haven't contacted him about it yet, but it shouldn't be to hard for him to do that. Basically the only difference is that it has a black frown rather than grey. If you wanted bubble lenses, he might be able to even install those for you as well, although all ESB helmet were stunt helmets, so their lenses are flat.

I want to have an ESB helmet made as well, but not quite sure how I want it done. I'd like to use the SiMan helmet, but I want it different from the ANH version I have. I was thinking about making a beat up ESB version. SiMan casts the helmet in green HDPE, so I thought about having just the kit sent out to me, and trying to put it together myself. This way I could put in all the chipped paint and other details I want on it. I think I could do the assembly, but I'd be nervous about the paint job because of my limited skills and experience.

sergiurusu
10-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Elm-Studios ROTJ Emperor bust with Official Pix Ian McDiarmid C6 autograph:

Snowtrooper
10-05-2012, 08:32 PM
That all makes for one wonderful display. Wish I had it.

sergiurusu
10-06-2012, 12:57 AM
That all makes for one wonderful display. Wish I had it.

Thank you for the kind words :)

sergiurusu
10-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Accurate Lone Wolf Biker Scout helmet - this one is made of vac formed ABS halves with 3M speedglass headband and bolts, the same way the screen used ones were made back for ROTJ - simply great:

sergiurusu
10-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Comparison between the Kropserkel (left) and Lone Wolf (right) Scout helmets - I already sold my KS lid, it was very nice, also made of ABS, but the LW is in another league altogether:

Snowtrooper
10-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, the lone wolf looks way better than the Kropserkel when side by side. Do you know if the LW is cast from an original, or if its 100% fan made?

sergiurusu
10-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah, the lone wolf looks way better than the Kropserkel when side by side. Do you know if the LW is cast from an original, or if its 100% fan made?

It is fan made but is measured up to the mm from an original helmet, thus in a way like the MR/eFX Stormtrooper LE helmet. And is made exactly like the ROTJ lids were made, which eFX won't do, because is time consuming and you need special skills, which they won't really have with the mass produced Chinese factories and workers. Even the big unlicensed detractors agree LW is fantastic. I'm curious how it will stand against the eFX version.

Snowtrooper
10-19-2012, 06:36 PM
i'd like to see the two compared as well. I was really leaning towards getting the efx version, but your really selling me on the LW.

sergiurusu
10-20-2012, 02:06 AM
i'd like to see the two compared as well. I was really leaning towards getting the efx version, but your really selling me on the LW.

The eFX will be made from original molds, but will be made the easy way, not with 2 halves put together, and will neither come with original 3M interior or bolts. LW has a long wait list on 501st bikerscout.net, glad I got mine.

sergiurusu
11-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Life-size LAWS AT-AT Driver helmet and armor on custom bust. Chest-box comes with LED's that have 2 different lighting effects. This bust is simply fantastic:

Snowtrooper
11-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Absolutely awesome!! What a superb looking piece. The armor and chest box look great and really complete helmet. I've always loved the detailing on the back of the armor and it looks spot on. The placquard is really nice as well. This is one item I'm hoping to acquire next year, although it might be just the helmet and chestbox. So who made up the chest box and armor for you?

sergiurusu
11-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Absolutely awesome!! What a superb looking piece. The armor and chest box look great and really complete helmet. I've always loved the detailing on the back of the armor and it looks spot on. The placquard is really nice as well. This is one item I'm hoping to acquire next year, although it might be just the helmet and chestbox. So who made up the chest box and armor for you?

Thanks. :) The armor and helmet are LAWS, one of the best armorers out there (people even wait 2 years for their stuff) and the bust is SDS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WARTLMgvDtI&feature=plcp

Snowtrooper
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm curious, how much of a difference is there between the SDS TIE and the LAWS AT-AT Driver? I've seen some pics where there is a notable difference in size between the two, but from your pics there doesn't look like there is any.

sergiurusu
11-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm curious, how much of a difference is there between the SDS TIE and the LAWS AT-AT Driver? I've seen some pics where there is a notable difference in size between the two, but from your pics there doesn't look like there is any.

The differences are very subtle and nothing major. Both are great. If LAWS won't answer you, since it happens, you can always try www.FarAwayCreations.com

JediTricks
11-07-2012, 04:14 PM
So, a buddy of mine has been into Muppets and Marvel aftermarket stuff, and he said that once Disney took over control of those brands that they cracked down hard on grey-market / aftermarket producers. He applied that to Disney buying Star Wars, and the first thing I thought of was this thread. But the aftermarket stuff for Star Wars is a thriving multinational community, I'm not sure they could shut it down if they wanted, and it certainly would make doing 501st Legion stuff very challenging (they'd likely be a prime focus of Disney's were they to do this). So, think this is an issue, or what?

Great AT-AT Driver bust, very cool.

You can really see the difference in the comparison between the Lone Wolf Scout Trooper helmet and the KS, I can see why you sold the latter as the LW has a lot better and more accurate detail even to my untrained eye.

sergiurusu
11-08-2012, 12:13 AM
So, a buddy of mine has been into Muppets and Marvel aftermarket stuff, and he said that once Disney took over control of those brands that they cracked down hard on grey-market / aftermarket producers. He applied that to Disney buying Star Wars, and the first thing I thought of was this thread. But the aftermarket stuff for Star Wars is a thriving multinational community, I'm not sure they could shut it down if they wanted, and it certainly would make doing 501st Legion stuff very challenging (they'd likely be a prime focus of Disney's were they to do this). So, think this is an issue, or what?

Great AT-AT Driver bust, very cool.

You can really see the difference in the comparison between the Lone Wolf Scout Trooper helmet and the KS, I can see why you sold the latter as the LW has a lot better and more accurate detail even to my untrained eye.

The 501st are already discussing this issue, some are worried they might get closed down by Disney. The same with some unlicensed armor producers. We'll have to see how this develops, hopefully Disney to be intelligent and to care about community more than $ in their pockets...

The KS was a cool helmet but not too accurate. It has a plus though, being a bit larger is good for 501st troopers with bigger heads or for those wearing glasses. Plus I wouldn't dare to trooper in a piece of art like a LW :)

JediTricks
11-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I would think Disney cannot close down the 501st since they are a non-profit charitable fan organization, but the making of costumes for other than personal use would be something Disney might come down on them pretty hard if their members get caught doing it. Sounds like a very frustrating place to be stuck not knowing what to expect after a decade of being a significant organization that's enjoyed the blessing of Lucas. Disney has shown to be very protective of their copyrights though, even when they're not selling an alternate licensed version, so I wouldn't be surprised if this gets challenging fast.

Good point about the helmet sizes, I hadn't considered that, I've seen some big-headed troopers at events the last few years and they obviously can't just scale up the perfect design. I dunno how much the KS vs the LW went for though, but if it were me I'd want to wear the most accurate one possible.

sergiurusu
11-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Too bad the licensed armors are crap, and some of the helmets like MR and eFX are cool, but being made of fiberglass not really perfect for trooping. Personally I'm not into trooping, I prefer keeping the collection on display. Though trying both the KS and LW I would prefer the KS for trooping being larger and lighter. I would not cry when hitting or rubbing that on a wall, but would do for sure with a LW of eFX Scout.

Snowtrooper
11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
There is plenty of room for licensed and unlicensed replicas. But I suppose that Disney wont see it that way. All they'll be seeing is $$$$.

JediTricks
11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
We may see it as plenty of room for both, but I'm sure Museum Replicas feels otherwise for all the money they put into getting their costume license. Is there an official hard-armor licensee? I thought Museum Replicas was the only licensee for costumes and they only did soft goods.

sergiurusu
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
From what I know Museum Replicas and Rubies are having the armor license. Too bad both their products are crap, no need to show Rubies armor since everyone knows how bad it is, but the Museum Replicas is not much better either alas: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8816-coming-soon-museum-replicas-anh-armor-that-lfl-and-museum-replicas-are-producing/

(http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8816-coming-soon-museum-replicas-anh-armor-that-lfl-and-museum-replicas-are-producing/)

JediTricks
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
From what I know Museum Replicas and Rubies are having the armor license. Too bad both their products are crap, no need to show Rubies armor since everyone knows how bad it is, but the Museum Replicas is not much better either alas: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8816-coming-soon-museum-replicas-anh-armor-that-lfl-and-museum-replicas-are-producing/
(http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8816-coming-soon-museum-replicas-anh-armor-that-lfl-and-museum-replicas-are-producing/)
Yeah, you really don't need to show us anything from Rubies, we are already quite aware of how poor they are.

I remember seeing that Museum Replicas armor at Comic-Con a few years ago, but it wasn't there the last 2 years IIRC, I'd guess Lucasfilm shot it down.

sergiurusu
11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
I would really like a licensed armor to have all the tells of an original screen used one. Even if they make 2 versions, a more idealized, cleaned up one and an armor for hardcore fans to keep all the warps and asymmetry. Too bad something this will not be in sight too soon alas...

JediTricks
11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
The problem is that if you go full warts with a licensed armor, you risk annoying the ultra-rich fans who aren't that hardcore but want something brand name and looks slick and are willing to pay whatever it takes. The thin materials and warts and dents and such don't cut it for that set. If they're paying licensed prices for helmets and armor, they certainly wouldn't expect it to be made of the thinner materials actually used in the making of the films, those film-used pieces were as cheap as they could be and still get away with looking a certain way in-camera, and nothing more. Obviously creating 2 sets of tooling to make a clean fiberglass version and a shooting-accurate one would be very expensive.

sergiurusu
11-17-2012, 01:38 AM
The problem is that if you go full warts with a licensed armor, you risk annoying the ultra-rich fans who aren't that hardcore but want something brand name and looks slick and are willing to pay whatever it takes. The thin materials and warts and dents and such don't cut it for that set. If they're paying licensed prices for helmets and armor, they certainly wouldn't expect it to be made of the thinner materials actually used in the making of the films, those film-used pieces were as cheap as they could be and still get away with looking a certain way in-camera, and nothing more. Obviously creating 2 sets of tooling to make a clean fiberglass version and a shooting-accurate one would be very expensive.

Look at the eFX Vader Legend and Limited. Then it seems the Scout helmet will also be made in 2 variants one of fiberglass and one of ABS. At least that is how they want to do it. Star Wars fans have evolved, they are not the same people who didn't know too much about real props. For those who don't care about accuracy on armors, they can easily get even today the Rubies Stormtrooper or Vader. An idealized symmetrical armor will sell to certain people of course, but it will not sell to the other people.

As for what is best to be made of, I would say that fiberglass is not the best either since it cracks very easily. ABS could be better sometimes, especially for armor, and recently new types of coated ABS were realized so these would work very well. Carbon fiber was another material some 501st talked about, not accurate to screen used but quite resilient.

Snowtrooper
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I had an interesting delivery yesterday. I got a hold of a TIE Pilot chest box, mannequin, & tubes. When I ordered it they specifically asked if I wanted the helmet as well. I told them no since I already had it. Well it shows up yesterday and they sent me the helmet too, but didn't charge me. My first thought was that I need to notify them and return it. Unfortunately, customs agents had opened the box, took everything out of the plastic and them just stuffed it back into the box, resulting in styrofoam rubs on everything. After looking at it, I was fortunate that the armor and chestbox escaped much of the rubbing. The helmet is a different story. It has some pretty severe rub marks on it and one of the metal greeblies on the ears was missing,which I found later in the bottom of the box. I'm a little concerned that if I notify the company they may say I damaged it and want to charge me. But then again, its their mistake for sending it in the first place, so maybe I have nothing to worry about.

Adding the chestbox and armor really makes for an impressive piece. I'd seen plenty of pictures of the whole set, but I couldn't believe how friggin huge the whole thing was when put together. I don't have the hoses hooked up to the helmet yet. The original TIE helmet I have seems to have smaller holes for the tubes then the one that came with it. So, I'm going to see if I can rig up something to attach the hoses without having to cut out the holes bigger and risk damaging the helmet.

sergiurusu
12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Congrats! Do you have any pics of the 2 helmets and the chest armor/box? Who are the makers? My TIE Fighter Pilot and the AT-AT Driver bust are huge, but VERY impressive. Just ordered a cabinet for the bad boys last week, and it will be ready in January.

JediTricks
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Look at the eFX Vader Legend and Limited. Then it seems the Scout helmet will also be made in 2 variants one of fiberglass and one of ABS. At least that is how they want to do it. Star Wars fans have evolved, they are not the same people who didn't know too much about real props. For those who don't care about accuracy on armors, they can easily get even today the Rubies Stormtrooper or Vader. An idealized symmetrical armor will sell to certain people of course, but it will not sell to the other people.

As for what is best to be made of, I would say that fiberglass is not the best either since it cracks very easily. ABS could be better sometimes, especially for armor, and recently new types of coated ABS were realized so these would work very well. Carbon fiber was another material some 501st talked about, not accurate to screen used but quite resilient.The thing is, eFX is using shared molds and methods which you yourself have said you don't approve of, for authenticity's sake. So on the one hand, they are trying these sorts of things, but on the other that audience is not entirely receptive to their efforts when the price is so high and the results aren't 100% perfection.

And of course, it's one thing to make 2 versions of a helmet, but quite another to expand that to 2 versions of an entire armor. The helmets have the most character to them, they have more appeal for it; the armor is a lot larger and yet carries less of the personality, so it'd attract less buyers.

Fiberglass helmets and armor that aren't meant to be worn shouldn't be concerned over cracking since they're not generally meant to be bumping into things. ABS is difficult to use because it discolors over time, it generally has a very short shelf-life, around 5 to 10 years I think, and coatings aren't a real answer because it needs to impregnate the material to keep it from decaying. Carbon Fiber sounds very expensive and doesn't take color well, but as an undermaterial it could be strong enough.

I had an interesting delivery yesterday. I got a hold of a TIE Pilot chest box, mannequin, & tubes. When I ordered it they specifically asked if I wanted the helmet as well. I told them no since I already had it. Well it shows up yesterday and they sent me the helmet too, but didn't charge me. My first thought was that I need to notify them and return it. Unfortunately, customs agents had opened the box, took everything out of the plastic and them just stuffed it back into the box, resulting in styrofoam rubs on everything. After looking at it, I was fortunate that the armor and chestbox escaped much of the rubbing. The helmet is a different story. It has some pretty severe rub marks on it and one of the metal greeblies on the ears was missing,which I found later in the bottom of the box. I'm a little concerned that if I notify the company they may say I damaged it and want to charge me. But then again, its their mistake for sending it in the first place, so maybe I have nothing to worry about.That's a pretty unusual situation. Having to go through customs again and fix the damage for just the lid may not even be worth their time. Legally the helmet is yours to keep since the mistake was on your end. My first instinct would have been to contact them, but realistically it seems like there's enough reason to not bother with all that. Keep it as a backup or give it to a friend or something like that.

Adding the chestbox and armor really makes for an impressive piece. I'd seen plenty of pictures of the whole set, but I couldn't believe how friggin huge the whole thing was when put together. I don't have the hoses hooked up to the helmet yet. The original TIE helmet I have seems to have smaller holes for the tubes then the one that came with it. So, I'm going to see if I can rig up something to attach the hoses without having to cut out the holes bigger and risk damaging the helmet.I'm not surprised it's so big, consider wearing an X-wing helmet on your head and a box on your chest, that's going to take up a lot of space by itself without shoehorning a stormtrooper mask into the helmet and hoses between that and the chestbox - it's like a third of a person! Glad to hear your setup is impressive, but pics speak too. ;) As for the holes not matching up, that sounds frustrating, maybe you could heat-shrink the tubing but I'd probably just try to find a smaller tubing to meet between the helmet and the included hose, the box's hose tubing should slip over a short accurate-sized tube and look ok.

Snowtrooper
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Serg, its an SDS model. I got it from an outfit in Canada, so it has to go through customs before it arrives here. I'll bet the customs agents had no idea what the value of this thing is, maybe thinking its a cheap halloween mask and thus handled it accordingly.

That's a pretty unusual situation. Having to go through customs again and fix the damage for just the lid may not even be worth their time. Legally the helmet is yours to keep since the mistake was on your end. My first instinct would have been to contact them, but realistically it seems like there's enough reason to not bother with all that. Keep it as a backup or give it to a friend or something like that.

I'm not surprised it's so big, consider wearing an X-wing helmet on your head and a box on your chest, that's going to take up a lot of space by itself without shoehorning a stormtrooper mask into the helmet and hoses between that and the chestbox - it's like a third of a person! Glad to hear your setup is impressive, but pics speak too. ;) As for the holes not matching up, that sounds frustrating, maybe you could heat-shrink the tubing but I'd probably just try to find a smaller tubing to meet between the helmet and the included hose, the box's hose tubing should slip over a short accurate-sized tube and look ok.

Your right about me legally not having to do anything with it. But I'd feel a little dishonest about it if I didn't at least contact them about it, especially considering what they cost. Who knows, maybe they'll just say keep it. After I got my brain out of 1st gear, I realized that I don't have to push the hoses all the way through the holes. Just pushing them partways in is enough and they hold just fine. I'll post some pics hopefully tomorrow. I've taken some pics of just the helmet before, but it always seems overexposed with the flash or underexposed without it. So don't laugh too hard when you see the pics.

JediTricks
12-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I meant the mistake WASN'T on your end! What a mistake on my end! :p

I had the same instinct about contacting them, wrote a whole sentence about the cost issue, then deleted it for being too goody-goody when really it probably will be a pain in the butt for them to pay to ship back through customs and repair, especially when they charged you the same for the helmet as without (I'm assuming that's the case since they asked you if you wanted it).

If you have a camera that can take a long exposure picture (like 1/2 of a second or longer, the longer you leave it capturing the better the pic will be until it's so long that any nuance of light overwhelms it, but in natural ambient interior light I was shooting 4-second shots using the lowest ISO setting), I suggest setting the camera up to do so. Set the camera on a solid surface, pre-focus by holding the shutter halfway but use the timer function so that your button-press doesn't shake the camera, and take the shot that way. Black and reflective makes for a very difficult photographing surface, and the flash will turn it into a mess. If you can't get a long-exposure shot, the other advice is to take the shot from far away and zoom in to compensate for the flash.

sergiurusu
12-13-2012, 02:31 AM
The thing is, eFX is using shared molds and methods which you yourself have said you don't approve of, for authenticity's sake. So on the one hand, they are trying these sorts of things, but on the other that audience is not entirely receptive to their efforts when the price is so high and the results aren't 100% perfection.

And of course, it's one thing to make 2 versions of a helmet, but quite another to expand that to 2 versions of an entire armor. The helmets have the most character to them, they have more appeal for it; the armor is a lot larger and yet carries less of the personality, so it'd attract less buyers.

Fiberglass helmets and armor that aren't meant to be worn shouldn't be concerned over cracking since they're not generally meant to be bumping into things. ABS is difficult to use because it discolors over time, it generally has a very short shelf-life, around 5 to 10 years I think, and coatings aren't a real answer because it needs to impregnate the material to keep it from decaying. Carbon Fiber sounds very expensive and doesn't take color well, but as an undermaterial it could be strong enough.

When I want perfection in a SW prop, perfection for me means something else. I need that prop to be as close as possible to the original, and not to arrive with the problems Luke or Vader helmets arrived - and more recently the TIE Fighter. I don't want my props idealized, but I do want them without any production flaws like magnets put wrongly on Vader lids, scratches on the domes, decals/stickers with bubbles on Luke lid, or problems assembling the TIE Fighter.

Regarding ABS personally I would advise to go to FISD and RPF and read the threads where they discussed about fiberglass and ABS. You might find out that the ABS is not the same that was used when SW was released, it evolved a lot during the years. It SURELY doesn't have a 5-10 years shelf life, just look at the old screen used ABS SW helmets, they are still ok today. Yellowed, maybe, but no other problems with them, just read CfO or RS threads. No SW licensee nor fan creator ever made a fiberglass armor exactly because of its fragility and brittleness, and not just because of price. Rubies and Museum Replicas also made ABS armors.

Serg, its an SDS model. I got it from an outfit in Canada, so it has to go through customs before it arrives here. I'll bet the customs agents had no idea what the value of this thing is, maybe thinking its a cheap halloween mask and thus handled it accordingly.

Rubs are not a big problem. You can use Novus polish to take care of them and in the end it will look like new. I tried it on the chest plate of my armor which had some scratches and now looks as new.

It is not easy to take photos of a big black shiny thing. I'd advise to use as much natural light as possible and go without flash.

Snowtrooper
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Heres some pics of the helmet/chestbox/armor and the extra helmet. They're better, but I'm still not satisfied with them. I'll try to add some better pics later. I didn't notice before, but the "extra" helmet's faceplate is assembled rather cockeyed.

sergiurusu
12-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Very nice! So both helmets are SDS?

Snowtrooper
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes. I got the first one from a guy in the UK earlier this year. I was originally thinking of just getting the helmet, but after seeing several pics of the whole setup, including yours, I decided to get the rest of it. Also, since I'm on Dan Laws list to have an AT-AT driver helmet made, I just might get the whole thing made of that as well. We'll see how the finances work out for that.

sergiurusu
12-15-2012, 03:38 AM
The DL AT-AT is really neat. Did you go for white or gray?

Snowtrooper
12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
As of right now, I'm on the wait list so I haven't officially picked a color yet. I'm most likely going with white. I know its not the accurate grey, but I always seen it as white in the movies. I don't expect to hear from him for awhile, but he said the wait list is a few months instead of a year, so hopefully its not too far down the road. I thought I read somewhere that hes on v2 of the helmet sculpt. Do you know what differences there are between v1 and v2?

sergiurusu
12-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Yeah, the wait list on DL items is HUGE. Then there is the wait on the items themselves. you need to pay a $50 or $100 deposit and then all you need to do is to have patience. But the wait is well worth! I'm still waiting on my Snowtrooper Commander which I ordered last Christmas. I ordered my AT-AT Driver armor and helmet after that and I got it months ago. :) Dan is very busy, but in the end, when you receive your item, you will be simply amazed.

Indeed he upgraded the AT-AT Driver helmet some time ago. Make a comparison of the old Clutch version attached and mine. Even the one shown on his site is not 100% upgraded, but he now delivers ones that look like mine. Quite a big difference regarding sharpness (just look at the vocorder for example), the forehead "clock greeblies", or the tusks. The new one is much better, and the "clock greeblies" for example seem to be the most accurate compared to all other AT-AT helmets out there. And this is just the helmet. He also improved the chest box a bit too.

BTW just ask him if he will include the hoses with the helmet or now. Hoses attached to an AT-AT lid look better than without. The same with the TIE Fighter helmet without the hoses, the helmet will have 2 big holes in front where the hoses would be attached.

Snowtrooper
12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I can definitely see the difference in the vocoder and tusks, as you said. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the faceplate seems to be more accurate, width wise. I looked up some old comparison pics of DL v1 and the SDS TIE pilot helmets, and the DL seemed a bit narrow compared to the SDS.

sergiurusu
12-17-2012, 12:34 AM
It's more the way they are assembled and the difference in colors white vs gray. They both use quite accurate face plate, and the top part from the helicopter helmet is also accurate.

Snowtrooper
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Dumb question to ask, but is the stand you're using for your DL AT-AT driver the same one that comes with the SDS TIE pilot? It looks that way from the pics, but thought I'd just make sure.

sergiurusu
12-20-2012, 01:16 AM
It's the same SDS stand for both. I got an extra one since they are great. Even Dan liked it.

Snowtrooper
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
That was a good idea to use a grey tshirt on it. I'll have to see if I can acquire one before Dan finishes the project.

sergiurusu
12-21-2012, 03:33 AM
The SDS bust itself is really nice. Dan will make one of his own too. I modified a t-shirt at a friend who is a tailor, thus to fit the bust exactly as I wanted.

Snowtrooper
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Is the one Dan makes similiar to the SDS or is it really different? Not that its a big deal, but I'd like for the whole thing to look really similiar to the TIE pilot, as you have it.

sergiurusu
12-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately I have no idea, sorry.

sergiurusu
12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
AT-AT galore:

BTW did you click lately on Dan Laws site link: http://imperialarmor.net/?

It seems the site is down:

Snowtrooper
12-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Lookin good as usual. I take it thats the MR AT-AT in the back. I would've liked to have that piece, but at the time it was way too expensive for me.

I hadn't clicked on DLs site in a little while, so I didn't know it was down. Hopefully its something minor and doesn't mean he's getting out of the business.

sergiurusu
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks. That is the MR AT-AT SE indeed. I got it long ago, being my first really big item compared to some other props I had back then, like the MR CE and eFX LE Stortmrooepr helmet and MR Stormie blaster. The MR AT-AT is a HUGE monster and personally I prefer the signature version to the LE.

I hope Dan is ok. I don't think he would get out of the business, unless a very serious motive. He might be out on Holiday vacation and simply unaware/forgot the site is due and needs to pay the subscription.

Snowtrooper
12-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I really like all the plaques you have to go along with your displays. I realize that some of them come with the items themselves, but where do you get the others from? I have some replicas that didn't come with any plaques and wouldn't mind having one to go along with them.

sergiurusu
12-30-2012, 02:02 AM
I got the plaques from a very cool guy: Panther96/Gatorbait9696 (Kevin) - http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1076522/ I have many custom plaques, some not even shown in recent photos, all my helmets now have a plaque. You can also get plaque stands too: http://stage.rebelscum.com/estore/products.asp?cat=170

Snowtrooper
12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to have a few made.

sergiurusu
12-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Do not forget its Holiday time so there might be a delay in answering from Kev. :)

I was worried something bad might have happened to Dan. My recent family problems made me have some darker thoughts than usual. But Dan just answered me being happy I let him know about the site issue, and explaining he was very busy. And we all have to know it's Holiday times as well. Can't wait to see his cool site back online

sergiurusu
12-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Happy New Year!!

Snowtrooper
12-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Thats good to hear about Dan. For awhile, I was thinking he might have got burnt out and decided to get out of the prop making business. Glad to hear he's still in the game.

I wont be ordering any plaques for a little while as I'm trying to decide what I want on them.

Happy New Year.........in about 12 hours.

Snowtrooper
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Here is my RSPropmasters ANH stunt trooper helmet. I took some of the pics with the flash and then the rest without in hopes of trying to capture some of the detail this helmet has. I really think this is the best stunt trooper helmet out there. The details are absolutely amazing. Every little wrinkle, wart, & divot the original had is present on this one. Its also endorsed by Brian Muir, one of the creators of the stormtrooper. Its truly a work of art.

I have some armor pieces, also from RSPropmasters, that are on their way right now, basically shoulder pieces and the front/back chest pieces. I thought I'd make a display like the TIE pilot.

Snowtrooper
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Here's my CFO ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet. I opted for the clean version since I didn't think the money to make it dirty was really worth it. I did opt for the webbing on the inside like the originals had. The CFO doesn't have as many warts and wrinkles like the RSP has, but it is far more deformed. I took a couple of comparison pics with the RSP to kinda illiustrate this. Interesting that it turned out this way considering that the original ROTJ helmets were recasts of ANH helmets.

sergiurusu
01-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Congrats on two very cool helmets! :)

Snowtrooper
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Heres a sandtrooper helmet that I acquired off of ebay a couple of years ago. Its a fan made replica based on the "move along" helmet. I really couldn't tell you whose kit was used by looking at it. Its made of styrene, which makes it really light compared to ABS & PVC. The physical features of the helmet seem pretty sharp and I think they did pretty well on the paint job. I like the job they did on the raised brow and also the chipped paint as well. I put it up alongside the RPS stunt trooper helmet for a comparison. It does seem a little narrower in the face, but I think they had to "squish" it to get the the raised brow to work. Not a bad helmet for what I paid for it.

Snowtrooper
01-17-2013, 06:18 PM
This is my EFX ANH Luke Skywalker X-Wing helmet that I purchased from Redfordfilms last year. For being a scanned prop, they really got the overall shape of it correct, as far as I can tell. Its made out of fiberglass, so its pretty heavy. I think the originals were ABS, so its not the original materials, but I think thats alright. When you pick it up, it actually feels like a piece of military equipment. They seemed to do a good job on the paint and decals. I know that some showed up with decals that were creased, crooked, or improperly placed. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with that. I thnk they could have done a little better on the weathering, but its not bad. It does have this cable coming out the back which I have no idea what the heck its for. It comes with ear pads that velcro to the fabric lining on the inside, so you can adjust it to however you like it. Its a really nice prop to own plus I think I got 20% off when I purchased it.

Snowtrooper
01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Here's a couple of non SW props. First, the efx BSG Colonial Viper helmet. I think I heard on this particular prop they scanned the original and then squared up the assymetry on it, so its not an exact duplicate of the original. They did supposedly make a cast of the eagle directly off of the original. The paint job is excellent. Its very hard to find any kind of flaws with it. Its made of fiberglass, which makes it heavy but also seem more realistic. The helmet lights are a very nice feature, but I've heard complaints from others that they used two different color of LEDs. I could only find one LED that was different, so count me as one of the lucky ones. It came with a placque that was supposed to have Richard Hatch's and Dirk Benedicts's signatures on it, but mine was missing in Dirk's. I sent it back in and haven't heard anything since. Guess I'll have to do some more complaining.

Snowtrooper
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Secondly, heres my Kropserkel BSG Cylon helmet. This is one prop I've always dreamed about owning ever since I was a kid. The sweeping LED light is, of course, the coolest feature on this prop. It came battery powered, but I learned very quickly that is likes to eat batteries, so I rigged up something to be able to plug it into an outlet. Its not cast off an original, but as far as I can tell, it looks pretty close to me. I read of a few complaints about inaccuracies when compared with an original, but was never able to find out what those exactly were. I got the voice for it as well, which is a unit seperate from the helmet. The chroming is done very well, with the exception of a few places where there must have been some dust stuck to the surface that got chromed over. Not noticeable unless your looking for it. Because of the LED scanner, the prop is kinda front heavy, so I have to be careful about how I place it on the stand.

sergiurusu
01-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Very nice Sandtrooper helmet - looks like a TE2, and really neat Cylon bucket as well.

Snowtrooper
01-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks Serg. The Sandtrooper helmet was the second helmet prop I ever bought without a whole lot of knowledge about it. I was wondering what gives it away as a TE2? I really have no idea as to what to look for.

Snowtrooper
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Here's a few pics of my SDS TIE Pilot helmet and chestbox. This and the efx Vader were a real chore to get halfways decent pictures of. I ended up placing them near a window for sunlight and a lamp from the other side to get it done right. Its an awesome piece and pics will never do it justice IMO. At this point, its supposed to be the most accurate TIE Helmet out there. The only inaccuracies on the helmet that I know of is that the fork on the mowhawk is not correct when compared with the original. Why its that way, nobody knows for sure. The chestbox and armor are a nice addition and really completes the look.

I thought I'd throw in a pic of my 5yr old wearing the bucket to show the enormity of it.

Snowtrooper
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Heres a few pics of my efx Vader Limited. Not much else to say other than its a really awesome piece. With all of the nightmare stories of chips, scratches, and what not, I was sure relieved that mine showed up with no issues. Once I had the light problems kinda figured out, there really isn't a bad angle when taking pictures of it. It just looks great all over.

sergiurusu
01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Indeed the SDS TIE Fighter Pilot helmet has accuracy problem with the front of the mohawk, the fork thing. And it has 2 extra metal greeblies on the ears, I prefer it with them on anyway.

JediTricks
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
This is my EFX ANH Luke Skywalker X-Wing helmet that I purchased from Redfordfilms last year. For being a scanned prop, they really got the overall shape of it correct, as far as I can tell. Its made out of fiberglass, so its pretty heavy. I think the originals were ABS, so its not the original materials, but I think thats alright. When you pick it up, it actually feels like a piece of military equipment. They seemed to do a good job on the paint and decals. I know that some showed up with decals that were creased, crooked, or improperly placed. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with that. I thnk they could have done a little better on the weathering, but its not bad. It does have this cable coming out the back which I have no idea what the heck its for. It comes with ear pads that velcro to the fabric lining on the inside, so you can adjust it to however you like it. Its a really nice prop to own plus I think I got 20% off when I purchased it.
Great shots all around, great stuff!

The cable coming out the back is for the microphone headset, in the film you can see that headset worn by the Rebel technicians on Yavin during the battle, as well as the headsets Luke & Han wear during the TIE Fighter battle on the Falcon, so that headset was chopped up and shoved into the helmet, that's the idea here (the "spoon" microphone reflector comes and goes in different uses of that mic in the films), but I don't know if the original prop actually had the mic and cable attached to the helmet the way it is here.

As for the weathering, while it's certainly not screen-accurate to any specific scene, it gets rave reviews from all my guests when they see it.

Snowtrooper
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks JT. I'll have to keep my eye on the headsets the next time I watch ANH. I think very highly of the job that efx did on this. I'm really thinking that if they ever get around to releasing Wedge's Xwing helmet, I'd be in for one of those.

I'm more into collecting imperials, but I think this is a must to have in any SW prop collection. Its iconic enough that you could show it to the average joe in the street and they would immediately know what it is. Its just such a well built piece.

Snowtrooper
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Indeed the SDS TIE Fighter Pilot helmet has accuracy problem with the front of the mohawk, the fork thing. And it has 2 extra metal greeblies on the ears, I prefer it with them on anyway.

I prefer it with the extra greeblies as well. The more bling the better.:thumbsup:

sergiurusu
01-21-2013, 04:49 AM
I prefer it with the extra greeblies as well. The more bling the better.:thumbsup:

The greeblie on the lower part of the ear is the extra one:

Snowtrooper
01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Yep. I think I remember reading that they were delivered to the costume department with all the greeblies on. Once there, they made a decision to remove them for whatever reason.

sergiurusu
01-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Maybe they intentionally removed them, or maybe they simply fell off, like the Hengstler counters on Stormtrooper blasters.

Snowtrooper
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
That could be as well. Looking at some of the pics of surviving TIE helmets, alot of them are missing all the greeblies. It wouldn't take much to bump into something and knock one of them off.

I got my RSP stormtrooper armor pieces today. Pics soon to come.

Snowtrooper
01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
RSP stunt trooper helmet plus chest and shoulder armor. Once again, excellent work by RSPropmasters. Like the helmet, the armor has little surface details to it, although not near as many. You can see the irregularities and "pinholes" from the vacuforming process, especially on the back. It sure makes for a wonderful display. I'm really tempted to get the full suit of armor.

sergiurusu
01-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Very cool! Did you order an extra SDS bust for it?

Snowtrooper
01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I just used the one I had. I've been trying to get a few more but I havent been able to.

sergiurusu
01-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Laws Snowtrooper Commander helmet:

It is still missing something small but I will upgrade it soon. Considering this new acquisition, I think I have now all the Imperial helmets needed for my collection. Or do I? LOL

Snowtrooper
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks friggin awesome. I'll have to add that to my list of wants.

If your like me you'll find an excuse to get something else.

sergiurusu
01-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Looks friggin awesome. I'll have to add that to my list of wants.

If your like me you'll find an excuse to get something else.

Thank you! :) Indeed you can never have too many helmets LOL

A short youtube video showing both the Snowtrooper helmet and the Snowtrooper Commander:

http://youtu.be/8m6kbHcLGgI

sergiurusu
01-28-2013, 01:46 AM
My partial helmet collection, a fast shot, missing from this picture the following: eFX LE Stormtrooper helmet, MR CE Stormtrooper helmet, eFX ANH Vader helmet, Laws AT-AT Driver armor, SDS TIE Fighter Pilot armor, and Elm-Studios Emperor bust.

sergiurusu
01-29-2013, 07:55 AM
The guys from the furniture company came to my house for the final measurements and they helped me with one of the shelves I needed lowered. Thus my Vader and Emperor display is ready:

And a close-up of the Elm-Studios Emperor & eFX Vader section, and the licensed Stormtrooper helmets shelf:

Snowtrooper
01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Lookin good. So you had the shelf lowered so you could put more buckets on the top of it?

sergiurusu
01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks. It was the shelf where the 2 Stormtrooepr helmets are now.

sergiurusu
02-02-2013, 02:58 AM
A superb rough stunt blaster just arrived: RS Prop Masters ESB Replica Stunt Stormtrooper Blaster Limited Run.

From RS Prop Masters Facebook page: The iconic E-11 stunt blaster from ESB, created from the original 'Pugman' blaster, direct lineage, it doesn't get any better. A must for ESB Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers. Limited to 10.

More info on RS Prop Masters Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151335648919333.487359.265114729332&type=1

Snowtrooper
02-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Nice!! I like the rough crude appearance of the rifle, just like the original. A run of 10 seem like a really low number. I thought it'd be more like 100.

sergiurusu
02-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Nice!! I like the rough crude appearance of the rifle, just like the original. A run of 10 seem like a really low number. I thought it'd be more like 100.

Not sure why so low edition number, I'm not a hunter of low editions, I'm just glad I got mine, wanted an ESB Pugman long ago but was not available. Mine is the one on the FB page, made in black resin.

From RS Prop Masters site:

RS Prop Masters ESB Replica Stunt Stormtrooper Blaster Limited Run

Building on the lineage of our suit we are very pleased and excited to offer an exact replica of an original Star Wars Episode IV The Empire Strikes Back background blaster. The blaster was obtained from a private collector, John, AKA Pugman from the Replica Prop Forum. He has supplied the master that came from his original blaster and a mould. This piece is a must for anyone wanting to complete a Stormtrooper as closely as possible to a complete screen used suit.

This piece is a replica that has not subject to a ‘cleaned up’ or any ‘correction’. In this case the blaster has numerous score marks and ‘rough edges’ that were on the original piece as it came to the owner in fantastic condition for an original prop. This piece is not a polished finished piece, it is a background blaster replica.

http://www.rspropmasters.com/e-11-blasters/

BTW this is the original screen used blaster it was molded from :D - it was also present in this shot:

Snowtrooper
02-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Its great when any prop can be tied in with a picture or some point in a movie.

sergiurusu
02-04-2013, 01:36 AM
Very true indeed

sergiurusu
02-27-2013, 09:22 AM
COA for the RS PropMasters "Pugman" ESB Stunt E-11 Blaster arrived

Snowtrooper
02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Nice! Who was it who signed the certificate? Was it Rob?

JediTricks
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Geez, that's a stupendous get, I can't imagine how much it must have cost to be one of just TEN with that lineage. That's a promo photo, have they also identified it in the film?

sergiurusu
02-28-2013, 01:40 AM
I guess so. I really like the high quality that they put into these COAs: great quality paper, cool hologram effect. Very nice for a great prop.

sergiurusu
03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm going to sell my gray fiberglass AT-AT Driver helmet - if anyone is interested PM me

Snowtrooper
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
If I wasn't in line to get one from LAWS, I'd probably be interested in it.

sergiurusu
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
If I wasn't in line to get one from LAWS, I'd probably be interested in it.

This won't last long, already my PM inbox on a couple forums exploded :D

Snowtrooper
03-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Should be a pretty easy sell then.

sergiurusu
03-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Should be a pretty easy sell then.

It is already sold :) In a way this was to be expected since I received tons of PMs on 3 forums from 8 different people. LOL

Snowtrooper
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Should help pay for the next prop. What's that going to be?

sergiurusu
03-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Should help pay for the next prop. What's that going to be?

Who knows, we'll see :)

sergiurusu
03-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Uber-accurate Laws AT-AT Driver gray helmet with improved greeblies and stickers (some of the upgrades are missing from the pics here, but you get the idea). A stunning helmet which I'm really glad I managed to get for my collection. There were some improvements that I did myself making it even more accurate:

Comparison with the Laws AT-AT white armor & helmet:

Snowtrooper
03-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Once again, awesome looking! Makes me wish I had mine already. Which of the greeblies are inaccurate? When I get mine, maybe I'll want to replace them too.

sergiurusu
03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
You might want to replace the tube stripes and to add a couple more decals that might be missing - these were missing on my gray but present on my white helmet. Then if you get a gray helmet you need to add a neck trim. There might be a better type of tusks available on RPF, but they cost close to $100. Did you order yours from Elvistrooper?

Snowtrooper
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm on the list to have Dan build one for me, although I don't know how far up on the list I am at this point. I plan on getting the white version. I've heard trooperbay is a good place to get decals and other things, so I might shop there if I need them. Are the LAWS tusks accurate? I've never done a close comparison with the actual prop.

sergiurusu
03-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Dan doesn't offer the metal greeblies like tusks, central forehead greeblie or the canister washers. you need to get them elsewhere, preferably at Elvistrooper

Snowtrooper
03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info Serg. I'll check it out.

sergiurusu
04-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Merr-Sonn Power 5 Heavy Imperial Blaster, made from metal Denix replica with movable trigger and cocking hammer. The blaster also comes with wooden grips and accurate Lichtbringer greeblies. A very cool piece, rarely made so far. I'm having a stand made for it as we speak.

http://www.partsofsw.com/merrson2.htm

27307273082730527306 (http://www.partsofsw.com/merrson2.htm)27302 (http://www.partsofsw.com/merrson2.htm)27303 (http://www.partsofsw.com/merrson2.htm)27304 (http://www.partsofsw.com/merrson2.htm)

Snowtrooper
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Nice!! Im ashamed to admit that I never noticed that imperials used this gun. Whenever I see a Mauser broomhandle type of gun, I automatically assume its Han Solo's blaster. Learn something new every day.

Serg, you've got to have one of the coolest collections on the planet.

JediTricks
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
That's pretty slick. I also hadn't noticed the sidearms on those characters. The gun looks so small without a scope, either Han's ANH scope or Luke & Han's ESB scopes seem "natural" to me on this type of blaster and without one it's a different experience, yet still has that SW cred.

sergiurusu
04-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Nice!! Im ashamed to admit that I never noticed that imperials used this gun. Whenever I see a Mauser broomhandle type of gun, I automatically assume its Han Solo's blaster. Learn something new every day.

Serg, you've got to have one of the coolest collections on the planet.

That's pretty slick. I also hadn't noticed the sidearms on those characters. The gun looks so small without a scope, either Han's ANH scope or Luke & Han's ESB scopes seem "natural" to me on this type of blaster and without one it's a different experience, yet still has that SW cred.

Thanks guys. These are used by 501st as side weapon too. The scopes on the Luke or Han blasters are cool indeed, I'm still looking for a good price M19 scope for a future ESB E-11

JediTricks
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
When I had the windshield on my car replaced, the guy behind the counter turned out to be a SW fan and we struck up a conversation. He had made his own Han Solo ANH blaster pistol and it looked really good, but when I looked carefully I noticed the scope - which looked like a good choice from current-market options - was facing the wrong way, and we ended up in a mild argument about it. :p To go that far only to attach the scope in a "real world" fashion instead of SW style...

sergiurusu
04-12-2013, 01:17 AM
They indeed used various types of scopes for the blasters in SW. Personally I like my props accurate so having for example the Sterling E-11 blaster with a real Eagle Hengstler counter and a M38 tank scope was a no brainer. I like the MR E-11, but it is a bit too idealized for my taste.

sergiurusu
04-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Some of you may be familiar with my real deact. Sterling E-11 Stormtrooper blaster with genuine M38 (and M40) tank scope, real Eagle Hengstler counter, accurate cylinders and T-tracks. I just upgraded the cylinders with a real trio of capacitors not, just copies. I also added an metallic Imperial logo on the base. I know I worked hard to make this blaster as accurate as possible, and I'm glad how it turned out.

In the end the Sterling Stormtrooper blaster remains my top favorite collectible. This piece simply screams "Star Wars" and with all its moving parts is like a real blaster. Everyone seeing my collection in person, after I tell them what it is, want to see it closely and even hold it - though holding it is a very hard to give privilege. ;)

It is a very sturdy blaster, it's the real deal, maybe someone even used it in some war. I have the MR Stormtrooper blaster too (I even had a disassembled MR one), but the Sterling is not a metal pipe replica blaster like the MR E-11. I could even beat someone with it LOL, and not worry it will break, something I wouldn't dare with the MR blaster.

JediTricks
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Great work there. How long did it take you to get this far with all the authentic elements? (I don't dare ask how much it cost, labors of love don't work that way.) I dunno about that plaque's numbering, are you sure that's number 1 of 1? ;)

Snowtrooper
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Lookin good! Wish it was mine!

sergiurusu
04-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Great work there. How long did it take you to get this far with all the authentic elements? (I don't dare ask how much it cost, labors of love don't work that way.) I dunno about that plaque's numbering, are you sure that's number 1 of 1? ;)

Thanks JT. That plaque came with the Sterling when first I bought it, the seller never mentioned it but I was really happy to see it next to the deact. certificate. I got my Sterling about a year ago and since then I upgraded it constantly. It came with accurate t-tracks installed, some cylinders (not the most accurate) and with genuine M40 scope. I got a real M-38 scope later thus replacing the M40 (which I still keep for a different look if necessary) and a new scope rail, this time made of solid steel, the one it came with was narrower and made of brass.

Then I got a real Eagle Hengstler counter with metal socket, since this is one of the types used for the Stormie blasters. I also had a stand made for it and a second plaque describing E-11 details. More recently I got a new set of cylinders and was very happy to get 3 capacitors like the screen used ones to add to my cylinders set. So indeed a lot of work over a year.

Lookin good! Wish it was mine!

Thank you Snowtrooper :)

Snowtrooper
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Here's an official 25th Anniversary Terminator jacket along with Gargoyle sunglasses that I purchased a few years back. The jacket is well made and very heavy. It could be used for riding motorcycles if you really wanted. The overall shape of the jacket is an "athletic cut" like the one Arnie wore for the movie, which means that its a bit of a pain to zip the jacket up over my gut. The glasses are like the ones from the movie. They make two types of Gargoyle glasses like these. One is the standard size and the other is an "85", which is a little smaller. I got the glasses off of ebay for half price. They were supposed to be defective/damaged, but the only thing I could find was an extremely small pit on the lens that wasn't even in the line of sight. I've got a toy gun that I was going to put a laser sight and put on the inside of the jacket some time in the future. As much as I love SW, if I was ever going to dress up for a convention, I think I'd come as the T1 Terminator.

Snowtrooper
05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Heres a CZ3 unfinished resin droid head that I got from Zorg over on the RPF. Its definitely a very strange design. I think this was one of the original submissions for the Vader design, but thankfully they went with what they did. This is going to be my first attempt at painting a prop, so wish me luck. I don't think that the paint job is overly complicated. The hard part will be be getting the weathering to look like it wasn't intentionly put on. Its probably not going to have a screen accurate paint job, as thats a little beyond my abilities right now. I'm debating about painting it just a straight gloss white, or using a creme color to give it a sun yellowed appearance.

I'll post some pics hopefully in the near future when I have it finished.

sergiurusu
05-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Very cool Terminator jacket and glasses. You might want to get a custom Arnie/Terminator head and a mannequin and make it a 1:1. As for the CZ3 indeed it is a strange looking robot. I was talking last week with Dan Laws about the SW droids and how much both of us like the Jawa/Death Star Droid. Maybe one day he will make it too, and I, being an Imperial collector, would get it for sure. :)

JediTricks
05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Very cool stuff, I didn't know there was an anniversary jacket for Terminator, that's kinda cool.

CZ3's chest is from an unused Vader, but the head always reminded me of a riff on Metropolis' Maria robot more anything.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the paint.

Snowtrooper
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Very cool Terminator jacket and glasses. You might want to get a custom Arnie/Terminator head and a mannequin and make it a 1:1. As for the CZ3 indeed it is a strange looking robot. I was talking last week with Dan Laws about the SW droids and how much both of us like the Jawa/Death Star Droid. Maybe one day he will make it too, and I, being an Imperial collector, would get it for sure. :)

I've thought about the mannequin. It'd be nice to have the Arnie head with the missing eye that lights up. but between my props and 3 3/4 in collection, room is becoming an issue. I'm also planning on doing a full sized stormtrooper. I've got the rest of the armor coming form RSPropmasters plus some really nice boots off of ebay. I need to look around to find a proper mannequin for that plus some of the accessories(belt, blaster, etc). I wouldn't mind having a DSD as well. If I'm not mistaken, I think that was also another rejected Vader design, but still cool non the less.

Very cool stuff, I didn't know there was an anniversary jacket for Terminator, that's kinda cool.

CZ3's chest is from an unused Vader, but the head always reminded me of a riff on Metropolis' Maria robot more anything.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the paint.

I got the jacket off of BBTS when they were clearancing them out, so I basically picked it up for a little over half price. Still plenty expensive.

Didn't know that CZ3's chest was also part of an unused Vader. Interesting. I think Zorg has a pic somewhere of the CZ3 head with the Vader helmet on it. Makes for a very sad looking Vader.

I just hope I don't screw up the paint job. I'm inexperienced plus not the most artistically inclined, but I think the overall paint job isn't that tough. The weathering will be the hard part. It'd be a shame to ruin such a nice looking prop.

JediTricks
05-05-2013, 03:26 PM
The good thing about painting a piece like this is that you can just remove the paint, or paint over the paint you don't like. It's not superfine like a tiny action figure, or super fragile. Don't be too afraid to work on it, if you are concerned about damaging it try working on an inconspicuous place first (is there an inside, for example?). Go in with confidence and don't let your inexperience hold you back, how else are you going to get experienced after all?

Snowtrooper
05-05-2013, 08:20 PM
The good thing about painting a piece like this is that you can just remove the paint, or paint over the paint you don't like. It's not superfine like a tiny action figure, or super fragile. Don't be too afraid to work on it, if you are concerned about damaging it try working on an inconspicuous place first (is there an inside, for example?). Go in with confidence and don't let your inexperience hold you back, how else are you going to get experienced after all?

Zorg told me basically the same thing you did. The actual prop was painted rather sloppily, so there is room for error. I didn't want to come off as being afraid to work on it. I'm just very particular about the job I do on projects like this. It sounds stupid, but if someone makes a prop for me, I'm far more forgiving on mistakes than if I'm the one that makes the mistake. I think I can do the basic paint job fairly easily. The weathering I plan on doing a fair amount of experimenting to hopefully get it right when I paint the prop. I picked up the paints yesterday. I'm planning on going with a gloss white and "Stormtrooper" grey for the basic colors. I had looked at a light ivory, for that slightly yellowed look, but upon seeing it in the store, it was too yellow, so I went with the plain white. The grey was hard to find for some reason. Hobbytown was sold out of it and Hobby Lobby had just one vile left, so I guess it must be a fairly popular color.

Got a real surprise yesterday. My order from RS Propmasters showed up, which I wasn't expecting it for another week. I had an ESB stormtrooper helmet made as well as some ANH armor, basically the pieces I didn't have. It was Christmas in May for me. I'll post pics hopefully in a couple of days.

JediTricks
05-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I think I understand, when you do it you want it to be absolutely right because your time is valuable to you and thus it "costs" more, you invest more of yourself than just paying another to do it, and the flip side is that you don't have a ton of experience so the "cost" doubles because you're learning the skill as you're going.

The ivory could be thinned or even mixed into the white, assuming you're going for a movie-accurate look. I don't have any skills here at all, so I'm just going on the info I've gleaned over the years from people who have done this stuff.

Snowtrooper
05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I think I understand, when you do it you want it to be absolutely right because your time is valuable to you and thus it "costs" more, you invest more of yourself than just paying another to do it, and the flip side is that you don't have a ton of experience so the "cost" doubles because you're learning the skill as you're going.

The ivory could be thinned or even mixed into the white, assuming you're going for a movie-accurate look. I don't have any skills here at all, so I'm just going on the info I've gleaned over the years from people who have done this stuff.

That could be part of it. I think its also how I view my mistakes. If I were to own a Da Vinci painting that he made an error on, it would still be cool because he was the one who made error. If I were to make a painting and made a mistake on it, everytime I would see it I would probably say "I should've been more careful." Maybe to put it simply, most people are their own harshest critic, and I think that applies to me.

I had thought about mixing the ivory with white, but I decided to go the simple route. I thought consistency could be an issue. The original prop was actually a straight white with grey weathering. The basic paint job will be movie accurate. The weathering will end up being my own take on it.

JediTricks
05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Now you know how Lucas feels when he views ANH, he doesn't see the genius, only the struggles and pains and mistakes. It saddens me to think he can't see the film everybody else enjoys.

I didn't realize it was straight white with gray, it looks so much more antique with the gray weathering, possibly because it's in a warm-toned setting as well. The more I look at images of the character, the more I'm sure you'll do fine because they didn't really do an outstanding job anyway, nothing you could do would be worse than what they did - they just dropped it white, then followed the contours with gray for accent, and then laid down a brownish gray weathering overspray.

Snowtrooper
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I hadn't thought of that at all, but your right. He doesn't see a masterpiece that we saw, but all the flaws and shortcomings. Makes me think I should appreciate my accomplishments in life a little more. Over the years, I've kind of used my line of thought to help get me motivated. I don't like to pat myself on the back too much because I think that leads to complacency. But if I don't do that once in awhile, I'll never take pride in what I've done either.

CZ3 is primered and ready to paint. I'll take some pics of the stormtrooper helmet and armor tonight and hopefully post them tomorrow.

Snowtrooper
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Here's my ESB Stormtrooper helmet by RSPropmasters. This one is made up of HDPE plastic exactly like the originals. It is basically the same plastic that they make milk jugs out of. I had them paint it up like the "patch helmet that they sold at Christie's auction a few years ago. They did a great job of gettiing all the little paint chips and paint smears in the proper places. I also how they didn't paint it a straight white, but a subtle off white, giving it an aged look. The level of surface details is astounding. I bought a PVC helmet from them last year and was impressed with the details on that. This is up on the next level. You can compare it with pic of the original and match up just about every detail. I tried to take a few pics that would show off some of detailing. An amazing piece.

Snowtrooper
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Here's the rest of my PVC armor from RSPropmasters plus a pair of white leather disco boots I got off of ebay. Its great to own a complete set of ANH armor. This is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I was a little surprised to get the belt and thermal detonator. I thought I was going to have to order those seperate. The boots are supposed to be pretty close to what they actually used in the movies. They had manufactured them a few years for people who are trooping, but I thought I read somewhere that they are no longer making them.

sergiurusu
05-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Congrats on the helmet. FANTASTIC! My RS is also HDPE (their first edition) and is great. My first one #44 got lost in mail so they sent me their own replacement with #63

Very cool armor suit too! The only thing stopping me from getting a RS armor is the fact that they don't use acrylic capped ABS. I know back in the days they didn't use it, but since then plastics evolved and this is one of the things I'd like to see in an armor, thus protecting it better from yellowing. Unless I decide to go for a Sandtrooper...

The TK Boots are the best fan made trooper boots out there, except the real thing (which you would need to paint white and so on). There are also Caboots there, which are nice, but not as good - had both types and sold Caboots long ago.

sergiurusu
05-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Laws TIE Fighter Pilot helmet:

Snowtrooper
05-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Looks great! The painted TIE helmets really stand out. I think they look bad *** without the paint job, but it looks even more so with it. Do you have plans on getting all of the on screen TIE helmets made at some point? The Laws helmet really looks spot on. It makes me really look forward to getting my AT AT driver helmet made. I've been trying to find out how far I'm down on the list, but haven't gotten any responses.

sergiurusu
05-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Looks great! The painted TIE helmets really stand out. I think they look bad *** without the paint job, but it looks even more so with it. Do you have plans on getting all of the on screen TIE helmets made at some point? The Laws helmet really looks spot on. It makes me really look forward to getting my AT AT driver helmet made. I've been trying to find out how far I'm down on the list, but haven't gotten any responses.

Thanks. I already have a regular black TIE Pilot lid, but wanted one with the different paint apps. Dan was kind enough to make it for me. :) No other TIE helmet in my collection, excepting when a licensed company might make one.

sergiurusu
05-21-2013, 12:46 AM
The full metal Imperial pattern custom stand made by my talented friend Matt Black arrived, and the Merr Sonn Power 5 Heavy Imperial blaster is now ready for battle :)

Snowtrooper
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
That is such a great way to display it. It sure makes me want one now. I was looking at an actual Mauser Broomhandle at a gun show recently, but it was too expensive.

sergiurusu
05-21-2013, 11:51 AM
That is such a great way to display it. It sure makes me want one now. I was looking at an actual Mauser Broomhandle at a gun show recently, but it was too expensive.

Thank you. The stand is really heavy, didn't think it would be so solid and sturdy, being made of 3 thick aluminum sheets - the 2 lower ones are painted black. It is very well finished, the corners are lightly rounded and I love the Imperial pattern.

I'm not sure I would pass again through all the local gun laws "filters" just to own another real deactivated blaster of any kind. I would only do it for a MG-34 too bad sch a big gun is not allowed at all here :( At least for a MGC Sterling I wouldn't need a deact. certificate.

Snowtrooper
05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I think MG-34s are, in general, hard to find. I wouldn't mind having a good replica to go along with my hopefully "soon to be built" full size ST display.

sergiurusu
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Blaster display - top shelf MR E-11, middle Sterling E-11, lower shelf Merr-Sonn Power 5:

The RS Prop Masters "Pugman" ESB E-11 is missing from this shot being displayed elsewhere

Snowtrooper
05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
I like how they're all lit up. Nice display, as usual.

sergiurusu
05-28-2013, 02:28 AM
I like how they're all lit up. Nice display, as usual.

Thank you. Hopefully soon some pics of the overall display.

sergiurusu
06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Finally my Laws TIE Fighter Pilot helmet is finished, some upgrades were made yesterday: Targ hoses, rubber neck trim and "TI-1138" sticker ;)

Snowtrooper
06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Lookin good! Are the cogs white or silver? Its often hard to tell on pictures and I've also heard there's a debate as to whether they are supposed to be white or silver.

Snowtrooper
06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Here's CZ3 straight out of the factory. I think thus far I did alright on the paint job. The grey is a little "brush strokey" but seems to look fine. I'm debating about whether to add the dirt and grime since it turned out better than I thought.

JediTricks
06-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Lookin good! Are the cogs white or silver? Its often hard to tell on pictures and I've also heard there's a debate as to whether they are supposed to be white or silver.Interesting question, I hadn't thought about that, I wonder what the answer is. Based on the photo, it looks like the cogs are the same as the paint stripes and cheeks, which looks silver but not the same as the chin's silver.

Paint on your CZ-3 looks good. I see what you mean about the "brush strokey" stuff, but look at the source material, it's not computer-perfect either. If you don't love it, take it back off, or fill it in, that's the good thing about paint. Keep in mind, you will always see the flaws that you put in because that's how artists' minds work, but don't forget to see the forest for the trees.

I'd go weathered for accuracy, the oddity of the sculpt calls for age, and it's a bit plain as a design in some spots, so something to keep it visually interesting in those areas would be my choice.

sergiurusu
06-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Lookin good! Are the cogs white or silver? Its often hard to tell on pictures and I've also heard there's a debate as to whether they are supposed to be white or silver.

AA cogs are white, he said they were white on the helmets. Trooperbay also sells white cogs. Only text can be white or silver. The Laws AT-AT and TIE Imperial cogs are in fact reflective red and white, really cool in the dark.

Very cool CZ3 there!! :)

Snowtrooper
06-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll keep the grey the way it is since its not going to get any better than that probably. JT, your right about it being rather plain. Basically from the forehead all the way to the back is just white so it probably needs a little "character" in those areas.

I've always thought the cogs were white, but there are some who insist they are silver. If you look at the actual TIE helmets on starwarshelmets.com, they sure seem white to me.

Snowtrooper
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Here's the first part of the weathering. What do you guys think? I thought an orange-ish type of sand weathering would look good along with brown and black smudges here and there. I hope its not too orange as this is the main weathering. The flash really brings out the dirt. Its actually more subtle than this. Honest opinions are recommendations welcome.

sergiurusu
06-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I like the weathering! Good job! Maybe you could add another shade of brown there to add even more depth.

Some changes to the Merr Sonn Power 5 blaster - modified wiring, rarer loops:

Snowtrooper
06-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Looks nice. Curious, what was wrong with the old wiring? Was it not quite accurate?

I do plan on adding some more colors to the weathering. I also plan on doing an oil leak coming out the back of the head. The flash photography really makes the weathering look alot more orange than it actually is. I might try taking some pics without the flash.

sergiurusu
06-23-2013, 02:45 AM
The wiring loops were too tight together. Just compare it with a previous photo. Now they look perfect :)

BTW someone else made this droid head too: http://www.therpf.com/f9/unusual-prop-thread-184756/#post2892985

JediTricks
06-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah, on comparing the 2 blaster photos, it's obvious there was too much wiring packed in too many coils on the first one, the second image is much better.

As for CZ-3 there, it's a good start. The orange isn't quite enough, by itself it reminds me of old bones, especially the back looks a lot like the way skulls look when aged, and it's got some directionality happening which should be minimized in most places that are smooth. My eye says that adding a little yellow might offset it, but I think Serg is right that brown would work better, even charcoal or gray could be better at balancing it out, especially around the flange where it's got that heavier build-up. The build-up is my favorite area, but it is too red and monotone. Check out a photo I took at the beach last month, the railing is white concrete but the sand and brush have worn it towards the middle very orange AND degrees of gray to black: http://www.jtreviews.com/photos/mb-5-12-2013/mb-1958.jpg.html
So you're definitely on a good track, it's an authentic color for sand and desert-style brush, but it's not the only color.

How did you end up applying it? I'm guessing a combination of sponge dabbing and smearing, with possibly additional smearing via light brush.

If the flash is too bright to give an accurate idea, try backing the camera away from the subject and then zooming in so the flash is further away, I don't remember what kind of camera you have but I find that helps the most with point-n-shoot cameras and even DSLR in-body flashes. If you do no-flash, I'd recommend set the camera on a solid surface, setting it to a timer shot, and setting the exposure for half a second or more (the timer allows for any movement from you pressing the shutter to subside before firing; while the long exposure allows for richer and more accurate light, although it may be blown out if it goes too long, so you'd want to toy with the time).

Snowtrooper
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Serg, I see what your talking about with the wire loops. I probably wouldn't have known they were inaccurate until you told me. Its an awesome looking prop. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but I really want one now. As for the link you posted, those were the pics that inspired me to try out this project. I'm taking alot of inspiration from those.

JT, I see what you and Serg are saying about how plain it is. It needs more than just one color of weathering. I am a little reluctant to do too much around the phlange area. In normal light, it really looks like it was left out in the rain, water pooled up in the corners, and made it rusty. I think I'm going to add in some of the black smudges/weathering and see what it does for it. I have to be really careful from here on out. The wrong color or too much more weathering will screw it up. I've been mixing the paints with thinners and rubbing alcohol on a sponge and just dabbing it and wiping it off. I've kinda got a technique that seems to work fairly well. It really didn't take near the experimenting I thought to get something to looks decent. I'm going to work on it tonight and hopefully have some pics up soon. I have a Sony camera I got about 7 years ago that I've been taking pictures with. I'll give your suggestions a try, or try to light it a bit different when I'm taking pics. Thanks for the suggestions.

sergiurusu
06-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Replica Prop Forum (RPF) is indeed great for both inspiration and acquiring kits or finished models :)

Good luck in weathering this bad boy furher, waiting for new pics

JediTricks
06-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Serg, I see what your talking about with the wire loops. I probably wouldn't have known they were inaccurate until you told me. Its an awesome looking prop. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but I really want one now. As for the link you posted, those were the pics that inspired me to try out this project. I'm taking alot of inspiration from those.Reading Serg's posts often has the infection of making the reader want one. ;)

JT, I see what you and Serg are saying about how plain it is. It needs more than just one color of weathering. I didn't say it was plain, I hope you don't think it is, compare your clean pics to this, there's no doubt that it's not plain at all. I just think that without a second color, it looks like something different from the screen-universe type of visual appeal.

I am a little reluctant to do too much around the phlange area. In normal light, it really looks like it was left out in the rain, water pooled up in the corners, and made it rusty. Which flange are you talking about, the collar at the bottom of the neck or the vertical one that rings the face with the rivets? If he was left out in the rain, he'd be on his back to get that area rusty. ;) I hear ya though, those areas often do have more buildup because they're pounded by wind and they're harder to clean out, often see painters put extra at any seam for that reason.

I think I'm going to add in some of the black smudges/weathering and see what it does for it. I have to be really careful from here on out. The wrong color or too much more weathering will screw it up. I've been mixing the paints with thinners and rubbing alcohol on a sponge and just dabbing it and wiping it off. I've kinda got a technique that seems to work fairly well. It really didn't take near the experimenting I thought to get something to looks decent. I'm going to work on it tonight and hopefully have some pics up soon. I have a Sony camera I got about 7 years ago that I've been taking pictures with. I'll give your suggestions a try, or try to light it a bit different when I'm taking pics. Thanks for the suggestions.If you're concerned about not ruining the base layer, perhaps you might want to give it a non-permanent first attempt with something temporary that can be washed off without removing that first layer. But I do think you have the right idea about how you're doing the paint applications so I doubt you'll get into too much trouble, and as you said, you didn't have to work hard to get it looking the way you wanted in the first time.

As for the pics, those techniques should work pretty well, I've had to adapt so many different methods to different cameras to get a "true" light experience that I've honed it down to the most effective and easiest. I know a lot of folks like the sun, but that requires knowing a little more - it's a great light source but is moving and overwhelmingly bright so correction can be needed.

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing how any touchups turn out, I suspect they'll be very satisfying.

So, this CZ-3 leaves me with a question for prop fans, do you prefer your protocol-type droids to come with a "collar" at the base of the neck the way this CZ-3 and the Riddell Mini-Helmet 3PO do, despite the collar being part of the torso?

sergiurusu
07-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Some recent acquisitions:

- Original blue cap radiation dosimeter used by Imperial officers as code cylinders. Comparison with the regular radiation dosimeter/code cylinder (the ones used by General Tagge & Chief Bast)

- And a set of quite accurate AT-AT Driver helmet tusks. And comparison with the Elvistrooper versions present on my white Laws AT-AT Driver helmet

PS. I totally hate the way the images attach on SSG.

Snowtrooper
07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Cool items. So where did you get the new set of tusks from?

sergiurusu
07-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Cool items. So where did you get the new set of tusks from?

There is a guy Zombiekiller on RPF who made them.

Snowtrooper
07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I'll have to remember that when/if I get my ATAT driver helmet. Maybe a dumb question to ask, but how do you go about replacing them? Do you just pry off the old ones and glue on the new, or do you have to be alot more careful?

sergiurusu
07-08-2013, 07:30 AM
I didn't replace mine yet.

Snowtrooper
07-08-2013, 11:45 PM
My mistake. I thought I'd read that you had replaced them already once.

sergiurusu
07-09-2013, 12:50 AM
I replaced the resin tusks on the old gray fiberglass AT-AT Driver lid, which I sold before I got the Laws gray one. The fiberglass AT-AT helmet had originally resin tusks and I replaced them with Elvistrooper ones. But on the new gray Laws I already had Elvistrooper metal tusks. Maybe this summer I'll replace those with the ZK tusks I just got.

Snowtrooper
07-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Here's the latest on my CZ3 project. I added more weathering quite awhile ago, but its been very busy around here so it took me awhile to post them. I used flat black and diluted it down with paint thinner and added on some smudges and more overall weathering. I like how the smudges turned out. I did use some more colors on the collar area which i think looks good too. I'm not sure if I should add more weathering or not. I also added the oil leak on the back of the head. I thought a fresh oil leak might look good, but I wonder now if its a little too much. Opinions welcome again.

JT, I think that on a prop like this, the collar is necessary to have. Without it, it just doesn't look quit right.

sergiurusu
07-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Here's the latest on my CZ3 project. I added more weathering quite awhile ago, but its been very busy around here so it took me awhile to post them. I used flat black and diluted it down with paint thinner and added on some smudges and more overall weathering. I like how the smudges turned out. I did use some more colors on the collar area which i think looks good too. I'm not sure if I should add more weathering or not. I also added the oil leak on the back of the head. I thought a fresh oil leak might look good, but I wonder now if its a little too much. Opinions welcome again.

JT, I think that on a prop like this, the collar is necessary to have. Without it, it just doesn't look quit right.

The weathering looks better now, it added depth to the head. But not sure about the back oil spilling, maybe it is too pronounced.

Snowtrooper
07-24-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking that the problem with the oil leak is that the other weathering looks aged and this looks new, so it stands out more. I'll see what I can do with it.

sergiurusu
07-25-2013, 12:24 AM
That could be it indeed. Waiting to see your progress :)

sergiurusu
08-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Finally my collection display is finished, and I posted here because many items there are fan made:

27785277862778727788277892779027791277922779327794 27795277962779727798

Snowtrooper
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Its finished until you add in some more props.:) That looks great. I'm hoping to do something along similiar lines for my props and 3 3/4 collection. Yours has a nice orderly museum appearance which I'd like my display to have someday.

sergiurusu
08-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Its finished until you add in some more props.:) That looks great. I'm hoping to do something along similiar lines for my props and 3 3/4 collection. Yours has a nice orderly museum appearance which I'd like my display to have someday.

True :wink: Thanks. Hopefully some new props and collectibles will be added in the future. :)

sergiurusu
08-13-2013, 02:33 AM
A youtube video with the entire setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvr66ce0-U&feature=share&list=UUZZloGltZz3gSNShKBAbakQ

sith_killer_99
08-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Impressive! Most impressive!

I'd love to do something like this, maybe after I retire from the Army.

Snowtrooper
08-13-2013, 10:08 PM
A youtube video with the entire setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvr66ce0-U&feature=share&list=UUZZloGltZz3gSNShKBAbakQ

Nice vid. Thats the way to set up a collection.