PDA

View Full Version : Death Star Trench Run

nohagent
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Unless anyone knows anything about this I think it is a total mismatch. Packaging the newer X-wing with the same old Darth Vader Tie fighter? I think its a pass unless I can be enlightened.

mtriv73
09-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Saw this today and decided to pass for $100. If it goes on sale for 60 or less I'll pull the trigger. It looks like a slightly different deco on the TIE and I liked the cockpit upgrade on the X-wing, but nothing I'm desperate to have.

nohagent
09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
slightly different is a steep $100 as far as im concerened.

JediTricks
09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
I liked how the X-wing looked, but there wasn't anything about DV's TIE Advanced that is appealing whatsoever, I haven't liked that mold in a decade now, ever since they stopped releasing Kenner's old TIE Fighter and started upgrading cockpits and wings. I might have talked myself into getting the set based on the concept and the X-wing, but the X-wing has traditionally gone for $40 with 2 figures lately, the DV TIE goes for $20, Vader goes for $7-9, so that's at best $70 of product right there, all for the amazing low-low price of $100. That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER on its own merits.

El Chuxter
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
And, at TRU, it's an unlikely candidate for clearance anytime soon.

LTBasker
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
It's really a shame, I like all the new features of the X-Wing but there is no justification for that price. Would've made more sense to me if they had just released the X-wing by itself in vintage-retro packaging.

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 01:15 PM
It's really a shame, I like all the new features of the X-Wing but there is no justification for that price. Would've made more sense to me if they had just released the X-wing by itself in vintage-retro packaging.Yeah, they've really let the X-wing fall to the wayside over the last 5 or 6 years, only releasing it in expensive packs that don't have the kid appeal or the classic vintage style.

El Chuxter
09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Haven't they re-released the 1978(?)/1996(?) version in the last five years as well? It looks like they've got it in their heads that the nice X-Wing is only for grownups.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Haven't they re-released the 1978(?)/1996(?) version in the last five years as well? It looks like they've got it in their heads that the nice X-Wing is only for grownups.
The last time was in the OTC in 2004. That mold is pretty crappy, so I do think it would be good to get the better mold out by itself without a bunch of extra stuff everyone already has.

JediTricks
09-30-2011, 06:07 PM
The Kenner mold isn't as bad as you think, it just has some wonky stuff that needs adjusting for the modern age, like the faux-R2 button and the cannons being rotated the wrong way, and the cockpit interior being kinda blah. But its wings don't sag, it has great woosh factor, and it's a kid-pricepoint-friendly size. The X-wing is one of the most iconic SW vehicles ever and it's simply not available to kids - that IMO is a huge mistake.

El Chuxter
09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
If Hasbro really wants kids or really thinks kids are their big buyers, they should keep the original Falcon, TIE, and X-Wing in production, even if just on their website or something. The updated pieces are far superior, but out of the price range for the wee ones.

C'mon, if you get a 7-year-old the BMF Falcon, that kid is spoiled... and I want you to adopt me.

nohagent
09-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Chuxter is absolutely correct. I made the mistake of selling a sealed OTC Falcon on ebay and used money to buy my son the BMF which is too big for him fly around. What was I thinking, should have just gave the him the OTC one. I remember being 4-5 year in 1977 and flying my original MF around the condo complex. No way can my 8 y/o do this with his BMF.