PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say i told you so but darth mauls alive ( confirmed )

DarkKnight4516
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/12/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul/

confirmed by the man himself

Darth Awgmon
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
This sucks. This is soap opera territory.

El Chuxter
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Nothing George Lucas does on this show would surprise me anymore. I'm expecting a Howard the Duck crossover next season.

JediTricks
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, this is beyond stupid. Anakin getting turned into a baked potato in 1 fell swoop was bad enough to watch on camera, but to have a guy who is cut in half, falls down a bottomless pit at top speed that is an energy system, that's just beyond stupid. Lucas should either have left well enough alone, or explored it via flashbacks. To bring a clearly dead character back 10 years later is, indeed, straight out of bad soaps.

DarkKnight4516
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
might not be as bad as you guys think. Maul was by far the best of the best and way to short lived. You cant tell me you dont wana see him and obi go at it again. Or him and anakin fight to the death. You know little anis probably hella mad for him killing quigon. Plus getting cut in half wouldnt have paralized his waist up he could have force pushed at the last second when he hit the ground to soften the blow. The wound would have been cauderized so he wouldnt have bled out just poke him a new pee hole and ur in biznaz :pirate:

El Chuxter
10-12-2011, 01:55 PM
You cant tell me you dont wana see him and obi go at it again.
Yes. As a matter of fact, I can.

Thankfully, this will happen on a show I don't watch, so I won't see it.

To bring a clearly dead character back 10 years later is, indeed, straight out of bad soaps.
Or the X-Men. :D

JediTricks
10-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Lucas has proven that less is more with Star Wars. The more something is revealed, the worse it gets. Boba Fett is a perfect example of that, or Anakin turning to the dark side and becoming Vader. The more that's left to the imagination with Lucas, the better it is.

El Chuxter
10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Lucas has proven that less is more with Star Wars.
Slight correction: less is more except for about 75% of the time when it's someone else entirely who's revealing the "more." Unfortunately, Lucas has also proven that he doesn't mind running roughshod over the works of folks like Zahn, Watson, Stackpole, and Traviss.

Beast
10-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm expecting a swerve of some sort. Like either a Clone or his spirit taking over Savage Oppress.

And if it is him back, iyou can more likely blame the damn fanboys. Rather than Lucas.

It's just like the case with Boba Fett. Some other writer bringing back someone who should have stayed dead.

As for the comments about Zahn, Watson, Stackpole, and Travis. I think you're exaggerating quite a bit there.

El Chuxter
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Exaggerating?

Lucas has been retconning aspects of the works of Zahn, Stackpole, and Watson, along with other authors, since he started work on the prequels. Traviss left in the middle of writing a novel because her intricately-constructed Mandalorean mythology was completely wiped out in 22 minutes of television. (I didn't care for her stuff as much, but she got done wrong.)

You may disagree with my choice of words ("running roughshod"), but you can't argue that Lucas isn't a master at allowing people to play in his sandbox, then contradicting whatever they set up. Sure, it's his right as the creator of Star Wars, but it's kinda a d***ish move to tell others that they can do whatever they want and it's canon... until he changes his mind.

And, yeah, I do blame the fanboys more than Lucas, but he is the one who made the unwise decision to listen to them. (Not like he hasn't done that before--love him or hate him, practically eliminating Jar Jar from Episodes II-III was a stupid move.)

Beast
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
And? It's his universe. They're only hired to play in it. If he doesn't like something they do... or believes he has a better idea, then that's his call. The EU is not official canon anyway. And stuff as far back as Splinter of Mind's Eye has not matched up with the canon of the films. Hell, we had the Star Wars newspaper strips that gave Luke's parents as Master and Mistress Tan. So you pretty much have to get used to the EU not being official. Besides, so much of the EU is terrible that it's for the best it's uncanon or ignored anyway.

JimJamBonds
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I didn't like it when the idea was first floated out there and I still don't like it. The only good thing was the following passage from the article
When he was vivisected courtesy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul immediately took his place among pop culture figures who’d also been cut in half: Bishop in Aliens, Quint in Jaws, Tony Goldwyn in Ghost, the Black Dahlia. Needless to say, we never expected to see him again, right?How can you not laugh when Maul is reference with Bishop and Quint?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2011, 04:53 PM
We all expected this back during the Nightsisters trilogy, so while it isn't too crazy surprising, it is very strange. You'd think that they would be able to give any possible Maul storylines to Savage - getting revenge on Obi-Wan, going against Sidious, or whatever. As it is, I think he should have stayed dead, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. I'd like to see more Maul but I don't know if this is the right way of going about it.

Darth Metalmute
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
And if it is him back, you can more likely blame the damn fanboys. Rather than Lucas.

Actually, from what I read, Lucas wanted to bring him back because he felt like he missed out on developing the character further.

You may disagree with my choice of words ("running roughshod"), but you can't argue that Lucas isn't a master at allowing people to play in his sandbox, then contradicting whatever they set up. Sure, it's his right as the creator of Star Wars, but it's kinda a d***ish move to tell others that they can do whatever they want and it's canon... until he changes his mind.

If anything, your words are not harsh enough. I don't care who's universe it is. Lucas invited people to continue his story through novels, he had the first and last word on anything done in the EU (from Zahn to the Glove of Darth Vader), and then turned around and undid all that through his sub-par prequel story in what has to be one of the biggest middle finger in entertainment history.

As it is, I think he should have stayed dead, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

I am as well. i enjoyed Filoni's quote on it and hope his return is at least somewhat believable.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Obi-Wan will awaken from uneasy dreams, step into the refresher, and see Maul there. :itwasonlyadream:
Or Maul and Gwen Stacy's clone will start dating.

Blue2th
10-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm curious as to what kind of machine his lower half will be hooked up to. If it'll be those mechanical legs or some sort of transitional Cliegg Lars hover chair Captain Pike thing.
Also I'd like to see some sort of flashback scene to see how he survived, if there's medical droids crawling down there at the bottom of those Theed generator pipes or what. If they're going with him coming back they'll need to explain it.

It's not like it hasn't happened before with more serious injuries of Grievous being put back together with just a brain, spinal cord and guts, and to a lesser extent Vader.

Darth Metalmute
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Obi-Wan will awaken from uneasy dreams, step into the refresher, and see Maul there. :itwasonlyadream:
Or Maul and Gwen Stacy's clone will start dating.

Or he awakens and Maul is in the shower.

JediTricks
10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Slight correction: less is more except for about 75% of the time when it's someone else entirely who's revealing the "more." Unfortunately, Lucas has also proven that he doesn't mind running roughshod over the works of folks like Zahn, Watson, Stackpole, and Traviss.For novels, I generally agree with you; but for visual media like movies, tv, and even comics, less is still generally more (though I'd say diminishingly so in that order comics and tv can deconstruct more than movies).

I'm expecting a swerve of some sort. Like either a Clone or his spirit taking over Savage Oppress.

It's just like the case with Boba Fett. Some other writer bringing back someone who should have stayed dead.The images we've seen so far don't show him below the waist, and he's got lengthened horns. I'm unfortunately confident it's real-universe-Maul.

"Some other writer bringing someone back..." actually isn't the case here, the article says Lucas was the one to have Maul come back.

And if it is him back, iyou can more likely blame the damn fanboys. Rather than Lucas.

And, yeah, I do blame the fanboys more than Lucas, but he is the one who made the unwise decision to listen to them. (Not like he hasn't done that before--love him or hate him, practically eliminating Jar Jar from Episodes II-III was a stupid move.)
That is totally wrongheaded, George Lucas is entirely at fault here. Children love candy, they love every morsel they get and dream of gorging themselves on it, not realizing that it'll make them sick to overdo it and they'll stop enjoying it after a while. So it's up to a responsible adult to not shovel piles of candy at kids. What would we say of Hersheys if they just drove a dump truck of chocolate up to kids houses in an attempt to satiate their desire? Would we blame the children for wanting another taste of something delicious? No, we'd blame Hersheys for giving those kids way too much candy. That's what Lucas is doing when he brings back Maul, that's even what he was doing when he created the prequels, he's pandering to the fans who were left with a taste for more - he says as much in the OT DVD commentary - and he's going to gorge us with too many poorly-crafted, weak ideas to push out "more of what what the fans want" when what's best is the little we had before, and all we can taste are the preservatives and the very thought of candy makes us sick. So, do we blame kids for liking the taste of candy?

The real problem is that Lucas has never understood that he has a lot of ideas and not all of them should be played out, and many of them should be restrained to avoid wrecking the kernel of genius within them. Whistling nonchalantly through the halls of the Death Star? R2 flying hither and yon? Indiana Jones with aliens? The guy has a lot of ideas both good and bad, and doesn't always have a clear view of the delineation between them.

When he has inspiration, he comes up with brilliant stuff, but sometimes that means that "less is more" approach because he's only inspired to come up with a tiny framework to help in the writing process, to flesh out the character that we see with a few pieces of backstory we're only meant to "feel", not see. And when he decides to continue on past inspiration, to satiate fans' desires for more without his own personal motivation to express an idea, he has to fill in that tiny framework with whatever ideas stick - good or bad - and more often than not, they're of the latter kind.