PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nova

Tycho
10-13-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm liking this show with the dinosaurs but the former Star Trek writer (Braga) is rehashing old ST plots and I recognize them all too clearly.

The memory loss episode....

Yeah.

Tycho
12-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Tera Nova was awesome this week!

I didn't think Lucas would make the time portal work both ways.

Why is he all about strip-mining the place? Just for revenge on his father for not rescuing his mother? How pathetic!

Josh should get together with Sky already. All of the sudden his old girlfriend can make the next pilgrimage and it's out in the open, like that? I thought she wasn't qualified. Josh wouldn't be either except for his mother.

I think they need to do some future episodes to show how people are selected, why they go, and what those who are not going think about it.

El Chuxter
12-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I need to watch this. The premise is shaky, methinks, but I understand Horner created "new" dinosaurs based on the (likely) assumption that we only see about 1% of the fauna in the fossil record. That alone makes it something I want to check out.

Tycho
12-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I guess they had to invent new dinosaurs.

On one hand, I'd like to know exactly where in the earth's fossil record they landed at - and what dinosaurs we'd expect: allosaurus or T-Rex.

But on the other hand, if it's not specific and the writers use the gaps in the fossil record as an excuse, they can have whatever kind of dinosaur the story requires.

I really like where the war with the Sixers could be going.

With Braga, there is too much Star Trek writing:

DS9's Quark is back as Tera Nova's bartender.

Julian Bashir resurfaces as Malclom.

Even Jim is the reincarnation of Mjr. Kira in some ways.

Taylor is more like Picard in First-Contact, the Captain Ahab idealist with an uncompromising streak.

The plotlines repeat themselves.

Oh - and if Josh isn't like Tom Paris (a little bit)...

OC47150
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I just finished up my mini-Terra Nova marathon. I enjoyed it. If it's renewed, it has some interesting potential storylines.

The one thing that bugged me was during the meteor/EMP episode. You'd think someone would've thought about a meteor frying all electronics and kept a few old firearms around like Boylin.

Tycho
01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Do you guys notice the thick Star Trek overtones?

Boylin is Quark.

Malcolm is Dr. Bashir.

The Sisko-Kira element is sort of there with Taylor and Jim (obviously a male though).

Some of the plotlines like the EM pulse are like the episode Disaster when everything went down on the Enterprise D and Picard was trapped in the turbolift with those kids.

The memory loss episode was ike the one where Sisko fought Kira when they were all possessed by a Klingon virus.

Ron Moore was a friend of Brannon Braga's on Next Generation, then the two split off to work on DS9 and Voyager respectively.

Braga is a writer on Terra Nova.

I'm afraid that when the show comes back, there will be a malfunction in the T-Rex's warp drive....:rolleyes:

OC47150
01-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Boylin is Quark.

Malcolm is Dr. Bashir.

The Sisko-Kira element is sort of there with Taylor and Jim (obviously a male though).

Some of the plotlines like the EM pulse are like the episode Disaster when everything went down on the Enterprise D and Picard was trapped in the turbolift with those kids.

The memory loss episode was ike the one where Sisko fought Kira when they were all possessed by a Klingon virus.

Ron Moore was a friend of Brannon Braga's on Next Generation, then the two split off to work on DS9 and Voyager respectively.

Braga is a writer on Terra Nova.

I'm afraid that when the show comes back, there will be a malfunction in the T-Rex's warp drive....:rolleyes:

Until you posted the previous message, no. When I saw Braga's name, I thought, oh the Star Trek guy. There are a lot of parellals.

LTBasker
01-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Some of the plotlines like the EM pulse

They even worked in some Jefferies tubes shenanigans there with Cute Shannon having to go through the maintenance shaft that was nearly too small for even her. Plus, Nerd Shannon is Harry Kim, and Tom Paris was a fair comparison for Brat Shannon but I'm thinking Nog may be closer.

Tycho
01-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Who you're calling Nerd Shannon is kind of Sexy-Shannon though.

A Blue-Lagoon episode with her and Sky lost in the wilderness on an island the big carnivores won't cross to get to would be awesome in the Natalie Portman / Mila Kunis sense.

In fact, that's a great idea for a story arc for season 2..... :love_heart:

Lord Malakite
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
A season 2 seems highly unlikely now. Fox officially cancelled the show today. Looks like they are trying to shop the show around to other networks, but given the high cost for special effects its doubtful any other channel will bite.

OC47150
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
I enjoyed the show and glad I saw most or all of the eps. There's not much of a place for family programming on TV today. Terra Nova tried to be that, and a sci-fi show at the same time, and just didn't make the connection with the audience.

That said, there's not much of a place for sci-fi on network TV. Basic cable is more successful for sci-fi.

sith_killer_99
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
This sucks!!!

The wife and I love the show and wanted to see it stick around for a while.

Indeed sci-fi has a hard time on network TV. Which is really too bad, since they have come up with some good shows over the years.

YES, I am still depressed over the cancellation of TSCC.

Tycho
03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Wow, SithKiller - you and I are really on the same page with TV shows (I still owe you some "argument" in The Pit, however).

Meanwhile, YES: Terminator / Sarah Connor Chronicles was an awesome show and is truly missed. At least there was enough for 2 full seaons for me to collect on DVD and there was some closure to it - but John needs to somehow get a little older in the future (faster than he could chronologically age) so there needs to be another time travel trip for him before Terminator Salvation takes place and they COULD fuse the gap between the TV show and the movies. I know that wasn't their explicitly stated passion, but with great writing, it's very possible and would be pretty cool to see.

As would be 2 more Terminator movies with Bale and Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin.

As to Terra Nova - this really sucks. I hope it is picked up somewhere. I have the season finale still recorded on my DVR and this makes me feel like watching it again.

I loved this Jurassic Park of the future show. Not accustomed to Steven Spielberg having a failure, either.

Plus the guy playing Jim reminded me of a young Mel Gibson and on top of that, Stephen Lang is a good actor, and the older daughter was cute! Plus I wanted to know more about Mira and the Sixers.