PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Menace in 3-D...

JEDIpartner
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
What do you think of the new poster? I think "Photoshop is fun?"

Hmmmm... I guess it's fine since it is a poster for a rerelease, but it seems to be lacking "something". I guess we're missing Qui-Gon and Queen Amidala and both of the actors who play them are more popular than ever! It's also like the poster isn't telling a lot of the story it's sorta screaming "Hey!! Look at the pretty action scenes!!"

Maul, his saber blades and the podracers do say "3D", but I'm not all excited about it-- or the release of the film, to be quite honest.

I wonder how the recent developments between the studios and the cinema operators is going to affect future 3D admissions. I mean, $13 was a pretty hefty price tag to see a film and that's when the studios were supplying the glasses to the cinemas. Now that the cinema operators have to spring for them, I can only imagine that the price will go up!

El Chuxter
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't care about the poster, but this is one movie I'd actually watch in 3D. I couldn't care less about seeing AOTC and ROTS in 3D, but will do so if I think seeing the OT depends on me doing so.

JimJamBonds
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Too much Maul, shouldn't Anners be in it someplace?

El Chuxter
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Nah, 'cuz they want to hype his RETURN!!!!!!1!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Nah, 'cuz they want to hype his RETURN!!!!!!1!!!Or change the ending, have a Gungan mad scientist sew him back together.

Bearded, flannel-lab-coated Scientist: "Rise, Lord Maul."
Maul: "Where is the Jedi? Is Obi-Wan unsafe?"
Scientist: "It appears, in retrospect, it was unwise to kill you off. The decision was made too fast, too intense."
Maul: "I couldn't have... Even I felt that it was appropriate... I shouldn't be alive!"
[walks shakily on his prosthetic legs, pulling at his manacles, rubbing his stomach]
Maul: "NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"
[Scientist grins, then leafs through a wad of credits]

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I posted on this in the News section, but I'm not big on the poster. It's no secret that a lot of people had a lot of issues with the film, so it seems like they're playing up on only the things that people liked - Darth Maul, the podrace, some of the pre-existing characters. The lack of most of the main characters is quite jarring, though, and so is the poor placement of the podracers on the background. They should have went with Jar Jar and little Anakin, like Seth Rogen's back tattoo in Fanboys. :p

Then again, I do like the effect that there's a smaller, white-bordered poster, and the elements are popping off of it. It kind of reminds me of the circus-style ANH poster, which is one of my all-time favorites.

If nothing else, the image of Yoda confirms that this will be the version of the film seen on the Blu-ray, which is great to know. I'm somewhat considering seeing The Three Musketeers just so I can see the 3-D trailer, but I know next to nothing about that movie and the little I do know is not good. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Here's the trailer (http://vimeo.com/30988295) in boring ol' 2-D. I find it odd that the only place it's posted anywhere online is from the kid who contributes to TheForce.net, but oh well. The trailer itself is pretty sweet, and sets up not just TPM, but the whole saga for re-release. It looks like they chose good scenes to showcase in 3-D. Again, Jar Jar is nowhere to be found . . .

bigbarada
10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Starwars.com has the trailer up now:
http://starwars.com/watch/episode-i-3d.html

I guess it would be more exciting to watch if we could actually see it in 3D.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Well, I said I wouldn't do any more midnight showings. :yourpowersareweakoldman: :o But the only time I can fit it into my schedule and still see it opening day is... 12:01am. :zzz: I gots my tix now, yo.

JEDIpartner
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm going with a couple friends just 'cos it's something for three geeks to do on a Sunday afternoon. We're gonna go on the 12th.

JimJamBonds
01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm hoping to wrangle 21-b to go with me (and mrs 21-b) on the 11th.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I gots my tix now, yo.I looked at the code numbers on the bottom, because a 5th friend asked if he could join us, and aside from the bunch o' first digits, it ends 001, 002, 003, and 004 for the first four. Today's ticket? Ends with 007. Am I currently in possession of 71.4% of their sold tickets? :eek:

Snowtrooper
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I think I'm going to take the kids to see it on either opening day, or the Sat. after. My wife is not much of a SW fan, so she'll probably either go shop, or visit with her mom & dad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I already have plans to see it a few times opening weekend - the midnight show with friends, and then again with my family at some point. Play rehearsal is preventing me from seeing it the afternoon of opening day as per tradition but, then again, I have seen this film in 2D once or twice before. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
One of these theaters is within 10 miles of my house. Darn other plans that day! :mad: It sounds cool.

http://www.starwars.com/news/episode_1_amc_screenings.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I saw it last night (with a far from full audience). Overall, the added dimension is pretty awesome. It's pretty subtle most of the time, expanding back behind the screen instead of poking at your face. I don't know if it was the added dimension, seeing it on the big screen, or a combination of both, but the podrace and Naboo battle looked fantastic. Sometimes, though, it becomes obvious how dated Jar Jar looks now, especially compared to the more recent Yoda (who looks great). I kept noticing things I had never seen before, now that they were separate in the 3-D space and not blending into the image (extra Neimoidians, Teemto Pagalies and Ben Quadinaros in the podrace hangar, etc.). I'll definitely be seeing it again and I recommend it.

Oh, and as for changes - the film itself is the same as the Blu-ray release, with the aforementioned CGI Yoda, slightly larger picture, and lack of "Vote Now!" The subtitles retain the fade-in/fade-out they had in the theatrical release. The only real changes come in the opening and closing credits, for those keeping track - the 20th Century Fox logo is a more modern one with a camera move, the Lucasfilm logo pops out, and the closing credits are in two columns instead of one to add the stereo conversion artists as well (and change the date to 2012).

Bel-Cam Jos
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm still tired, so forgive my gfaJJHLH EBdwdhj. :zzz: ;) It was okay; the best part, as always, is just the communal experience with other SW fans. Got ripped off with those Maul 3D glasses, as some excuse was lobbed at us about how they weren't allowed to give them out at midnight showings, only the "first show of the day." :confused: :mad: Liked the extra few minutes of scenes (could've been more of them, of course), CGYoda was fine, 3D was hardly noticable to me. Cool, but unless other friends want to see it in the next few weeks, this is probably my only viewing.

Snowtrooper
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Saw it yesterday afternoon. I thought the the 3D effect was done pretty well, considering it was originally in 2D. Like JJL said, not much really jumps out from the screen at you, more like expanding to the back. I suppose this is a limitation of turning a 2D movie into 3D. The shot I really liked was when they came over the top of a building in Coruscant and point down to show a landing platform. It felt like you were going to fall off the building for a second. The only real negative was wearing the 3D glasses seemed to make the colors on the screen kind of dull, which they do for all movies. It was definitely worth going to see. I'd go to see it again, but its 70mi to the nearest theatre that plays 3D movies, so I probably wont be seeing it again.

JimJamBonds
02-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I saw it yesterday afternoon with 2-1B and Mrs. 2-1B and loved it. I hadn't watched TPM in some time, I (still) think if a couple of Jar Jar's lines would be taken out and not have him step in Bantha poodo he wouldn't be so hated. Its just a shame it'll be 5 years before the entire saga is released. :bummer:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Like JJL said, not much really jumps out from the screen at you, more like expanding to the back. I suppose this is a limitation of turning a 2D movie into 3D. ... The only real negative was wearing the 3D glasses seemed to make the colors on the screen kind of dull, which they do for all movies.
It's not a limitation, but a creative choice. They could have easily had Jar Jar's tongue pop into the audience, or have it look like Darth Maul's saber was right in front of you, or whatever. But the people involved seemed to feel that that would have been a gimmick and went with the more immersive experience instead. Different conversions pick different methods - The Nightmare Before Christmas made everything look like a miniature diorama, for instance.

As for the colors, that didn't seem to be a problem at my viewing. I mean the glasses naturally tint it a bit, but it seems that more movies lately are being brightened up so that the image looks as it's supposed to with the glasses. I'll have to see how it compares on subsequent viewings.

JimJamBonds
02-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I forgot to say that I liked the way the 3d was done, I haven't seen a 3d movie since I was a kid so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. There was one brief moment during the pod race where it seemed like there was too much going on and the screen blurred for a second or two, but otherwise it was great.

On a different note: why wasn't Yaddle cgi?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Here are the 3 pictures I took of what I could get access to yesterday, at the AMC "Star Wars Event" thingy:

Best part was when I stopped by, the rain had stopped. You had to buy a movie ticket, then you got a special Anakin Podracer-style 3D glasses (sold out when I arrived) and a Fighter Pods toy. Face painting, puzzle building, Kinect... ting. Did not see the podracer model anywhere. If I had young kids, it'd have been fun. :toooldnow: :(

El Chuxter
02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Is the extended version of the Eopie fart from the DVD in 3D? They should've released it in Smell-O-Rama.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
No, but all the podracers were sitting around a campfire eating cafbeans.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I thought it was very subtle and gave a little more depth at times. I thought there were a couple of missed opportunities in some of the explosions. The times the 3D was most evident was when something was closer in the frame. The holograms looked amazing... especially the ones of Sidious. Not being a fan of 3D, I can say that I was neither amazed nor disappointed. It was still a really fun time.

Here's what Box Office Mojo has to report on this past weekend's take:

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace had to settle for fourth place, though it still tallied a solid $22.5 million. That's right in between The Lion King ($30.2 million) and Beauty and the Beast ($17.8 million) among recent 3D re-releases. The movie did sell fewer tickets than any of the 1997 Star Wars re-releases, though that was to be expected given its middling reputation and wide home viewing availability. The audience was 60 percent male and 51 percent were 25 years of age and older, and 99 percent of ticket sales were for 3D presentations.

Thanks to the re-release, The Phantom Menace moved up from seventh to fifth place on the all-time chart with a $453.6 million total. By next weekend, it should move past the original Star Wars's $461 million to take fourth place and first among all Star Wars movies.

bigbarada
02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I forgot this movie had been released already. I've got a couple of days off this weekend, so maybe I'll take some time out to watch it. Not really a priority for me though.

bigbarada
02-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I called around to some friends to see if anyone was interested in watching this. No one even knew it was in theaters again and after I explained exactly which Star Wars movie it was, they seemed to lose interest in going to see it at all. I really have little interest in watching this movie, even less in going to the theater by myself. So it looks like I'm going to pass on these movies until they get to ANH 3D.

As for box office numbers, even though TPM 3D opened in more theaters, it still didn't beat out Lion King 3D for opening weekend ticket sales. Plus ticket sales for TPM 3D dropped over 65% in it's second weekend. If Lucas was hoping to set 3D sales records with this movie, it looks like it failed.

Lord Malakite
02-25-2012, 09:29 PM
I collected a few Happy Meal boxes and a complete set of the 8 spinner toys from McDonalds. That is probably all the support I'll be giving to Episode I in 3D.

DarkJedi5
02-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Pretty much just got home from seeing this and I was kind of dissapointed. I mean, don't get me wrong, the movie itself was fine, but the theater wasn't THX equipped (despite the fact that I think every other theater in that cinema is) and it seemed like a lot of the sound was dropped because certain suround sound chanels were missing. During the podrace, for example, all of the engine sounds that should have been coming from the rear of the theater were absent and during the Duel of Fates and end parade the main part of the orchestra was completely inaudible. I guess it was interesting because I got to hear more of the sound that is usually covered up but it kind of spoiled some of the most climactic scenes in the movie.