PDA

View Full Version : Muppets

El Chuxter
10-16-2011, 11:08 PM
No thread yet?

The advance info looks pretty promising. I see a lot of throwbacks to the edgy humor of the old show and the original movies, and hopefully the rest of the movie lives up to this. I'll cross my fingers (but not hold my breath) that Disney and CTW worked out some sort of deal to throw in a Sesame Street cameo of some sort.

In the meantime, enjoy this gem (http://www.youtube.com/user/MuppetsStudio#p/u/20/pV4F46N21PA). And (especially for JT) poke around look at the other Muppets shorts posted over the past few years, if you haven't already.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I've always liked the Muppets films, and have seen a few in theaters. There's a good chance I'll catch this'n once it comes out.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I saw it yesterday, and it was excellent; truly one of those good-for-all-ages movies. It was sappy on purpose at times, nostalgic at times, over-the-top silly at times, timely or cheesily [sp?] outdated at times, subtlely funny at times. A good time was had by all. The songs were pretty good, too (so much so that I went out to buy the soundtrack on my way home).

JimJamBonds
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I also saw it yeterday but not with B-CJ. I loved it and I think B-CJ's review is spot on.

JEDIpartner
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm glad that it is old fashioned. I enjoyed it for that. The Muppets do NOT work when they are trying to be too contemporary or edgy. This is exactly how the Muppets should be and I'm sad taht Frank Oz went on record to say that he cannot support this film as these are not the real Muppets. 'Cos, like... Muppets from Space, which was his film, was so good? No, it was possibly the worst of all the Muppet films made.

I really loved this movie. The audience laughed, cried and quietly sang "The Rainbow Connection" when it came up in the film. Job well done!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I also saw it yeterday but not with B-CJ. I loved it and I think B-CJ's review is spot on.But I saw other people in the theater, including men. And you are a man, not a muppet, right JJB? :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
11-29-2011, 09:27 PM
But I saw other people in the theater, including men. And you are a man, not a muppet, right JJB? :rolleyes:Yup...or at least last time I checked I was.

I would like to add something to my thoughts on the movie, my 2 real issues both involving my favorite Muppets: 1) Rizzo the Ratt is barely in the flick and he has no lines and 2) Pepe the King Prawn is also hardly in the flick although he has two lines. What? You don't think Pepe is good? Watch this then! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMr5B4rYLM

Bel-Cam Jos
11-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Who was that giant blue Muppet? I don't recall him from the original, nor the re-launch TV show, nor any movies. Swedish Chef got quite a bit of screen time.

JimJamBonds
11-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Sam the Eagle, he's been around since '75 (not a big shock there), here is his info from Muppet Wikki.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sam_the_Eagle

sebillba
12-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I've not seen the film yet - it doesn't open in the UK until next February :frus: but I've been following it on Facebook, and noticed this (http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/movie-lists/9-lesser-known-muppets-youll-see-in-the-new-movie/3/). Could you mean Thog?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2011, 06:30 PM
No, I know Sam. This was some big blue blob thing, and sebillba's link is the one I saw. Thog, eh? And from the old show? Guess I never saw/noticed him there before.

JimJamBonds
12-01-2011, 07:04 PM
No, I know Sam. This was some big blue blob thing, and sebillba's link is the one I saw. Thog, eh? And from the old show? Guess I never saw/noticed him there before.I was wondering how couldn't you know Sam the Eagle!

sonofsokol
12-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I am with you Bel-Cam, I did not recognize Thog either, so I asked my mom about him and she remembered him from the opening of the Muppet Show. I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EK-4KEKsLM&feature=related) on you tube.

Oh, and I LOVED the movie by the way. My 6 year old and I went and he really enjoyed it too. We got the soundtrack and he goes around singing the Rainbow Connection and other songs from the movie now. We also got the old VHS copies of the Muppet Movie from 1979 and the Great Muppet Caper from my parents and he loves them too.

JimJamBonds
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Still to this day I find Sweetums to be weird and creepy.

JEDIpartner
12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, dear God... SERIOUSLY???!! (http://thinkprogress.org/media/2011/12/05/382182/fox-business-the-muppets-are-brainwashing-young-people-to-be-hate-the-oil-industry/)

Get a grip!

JimJamBonds
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah I saw that too.

JEDIpartner
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Not really the brightest of the bulbs, are they? :o

El Chuxter
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I sometimes suspect Fox's motivations aren't all political. Muppets are owned by Disney, which competes with Fox in many fields. So if they attack the Muppets using supposed political reasons, they stand to hurt Disney, possibly helping Fox out. Most people don't realize Sesame Street and the other Muppets are no longer the same company, so they attack Sesame Street too.

None of the cable news networks have any respectability anymore, so I would not put this past them.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Will they protest frogs-legs sellers from the '79 film, too? Or museums with expensive diamonds from the Great Muppet Caper?

JEDIpartner
12-07-2011, 08:15 AM
If they have any complaints to make about the Muppets, it should be about Muppets from Space, which was HORRIBLE!

JimJamBonds
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
If they have any complaints to make about the Muppets, it should be about Muppets from Space, which was HORRIBLE!It wasn't that bad, no not the greatest but not that bad.

JEDIpartner
12-08-2011, 07:43 AM
I just watched it about a week ago and it was indeed horrible. I am still trying to wash the stink of that movie off of me. LOL

bigbarada
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh, dear God... SERIOUSLY???!! (http://thinkprogress.org/media/2011/12/05/382182/fox-business-the-muppets-are-brainwashing-young-people-to-be-hate-the-oil-industry/)

Get a grip!

I don't necessarily disagree with that. If you can get into the minds of children, then you don't need to worry about the adults. I haven't seen the movie (and really have no interest in seeing it) but I wouldn't put it past Disney to use its films as indoctrination tools. Just because a film is aimed at children doesn't mean that the film's motives are pure.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
There really is no anti-oil agenda in this new Muppets movie. It's just a plot device, but not harped upon too much. The character of the "oil baron" is key, but his "oil-ness" isn't so bad as his attitude (and his tagline is funny, too).

bigbarada
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not saying that there definitely is an anti-oil agenda to the new Muppets movie, but it's far from an uncommon tactic in children's entertainment. Everything from environmentalism and Feminism to anti-gun and anti-religious overtones. It's called social conditioning and it works extremely well using television and movies as a medium.

JimJamBonds
12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
I just watched it about a week ago and it was indeed horrible. I am still trying to wash the stink of that movie off of me. LOL
I still like it, on a slightly different Muppets note I saw the new one last night (again).

figrin bran
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
This was probably the best film I've seen all year and it did a masterful job at all the things BCJ described.

And I too rushed out to get the soundtrack ($4.99 from Amazon)

El Chuxter
01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
They've totally swept Clifford under the rug. A cameo would've been nice, no matter how bad the show was. Especially since we'll never see Big Bird in a Sesame Street film again.

Not the best Muppet movie, but up there with the classics. I don't know what I laughed at more, Dave Grohl in the Moopets or Sweetums rejoining the group at the same used car lot and in the same way as in the original movie.

JimJamBonds
01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
... or Sweetums rejoining the group at the same used car lot and in the same way as in the original movie.Sweetums kind of freaks me out..always has.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
The song "Man or a Muppet?" won the Oscar for best movie song! :thumbsup: But why were only two songs nominated? :confused: I loved the comment for how this year's winner will go down in history with such songs as "______" , "______" , "______" , and... "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp." :D

JimJamBonds
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
22 days until its out on dvd! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Can't wait for the Bluray! Loved it in the theater. Great soundtrack, great story, loved it.

JimJamBonds
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I've been hitting Youtube pretty hard and heavy watching some of the songs from the movie. Great stuff!

Although if Gonzo was a rich plumming supply magnet why didn't he front the money to save Muppet stuidio's instead of blowing up his business?

OC47150
02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
The wife and I saw the Muppets a few weekends ago at the second-run theatre. Really enjoyed it.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Saw the sequel today; much more musical singing in this one. Very funny (although not as much as the first), and predictable in a good way. To prove my getting-oldness, I did not recognize some of the cameo stars (someone from a boy band like One Direction? a Disney TV actress? other older ones I should've known? :( ).

p.s. I forgot to mention the nice Monsters University short before the movie!

DarthQuack
04-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I loved it! Wish it was doing better at the box office, I downloaded the soundtrack, it's very catchy and I'll just find myself humming or singing some of the tunes. :)

JediTricks
04-12-2014, 02:29 PM
I have not yet seen either of the new movies, but I did see this and am strongly considering changing my avatar to either of those Cookie Monster ones from the Comic Books/Muppets mashup:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/04/11/the-line-it-is-drawn-185-muppet-mash-ups/