PDA

View Full Version : Starspeeder 1000!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2011, 09:43 AM
An image (http://www.rebelscum.com/2011/starspeeder1000.jpg) in the latest Insider shows the upcoming Disney exclusive Starspeeder 1000 from Star Tours. This has been mentioned before by Disney, but never shown until now. It's made to fit with the Hasbro line, but not necessarily tooled by Hasbro, from what I understand (though that may have changed since it was first announced). The issue mentions that it will have "10 functioning passenger doors pop-out laser cannons, removable roof, changeable destination screens, removable R2-D2, I-360 camera droid, and authentic lights and sounds from the attraction itself." It can hold 9 figures as well as a pilot, and will cost $54.95 when it comes out in December. Due to its price I bet it will be at the parks for a little while, but this looks pretty awesome.

JediTricks
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Hasbro denied having anything to do with its design a year ago:

JediDefender.com: There was a big surprise swirling about at Celebration V, with the unveiling of what appears to be a 3.75" Figure scaled Starspeeder vehicle from the Disney Star Tours ride! People were immediately talking about this one, especially since slides appear to show a vehicle that's pretty big. Do you have any details on this you could share with us, regarding anything from price, to possible pack-ins, or features? It's a very simple, but cool design, so this one really has people curious.
Hasbro: We don't know anything about this. If it is being developed, it's something that the Disney folks are doing, rather than Hasbro (similar to Mickey/R2-MTSthat was all Disney). Sounds cool though!

The picture shows a Hasbro R2-D2 in the droid slot (and not even a newer model), but the door design doesn't look a thing like a Hasbro design touch, very different take. So I dunno. But I am excited to get this and the price seems fairly reasonable for what's promised. I'm really glad I got that Star Tours figure set (the figures shown with the speeder) instead of the other one as this looks like a home run together.

I do wonder if the details will be stickers though, they look pretty complex for a paint job. I could even imagine the exterior being several large stickers. But after all these years, the dream finally becomes real. I hope it has room for the old Captain Rex droid figure as pilot.

El Chuxter
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Okay, someone who jumps on this will have to let me know if it's worthwhile. It looks cool; I'm just a bit iffy about a third-party vehicle that I know little about. :D

JediTricks
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Okay, someone who jumps on this will have to let me know if it's worthwhile. It looks cool; I'm just a bit iffy about a third-party vehicle that I know little about. :DI'll let you know, I'll be buying it (thanks, premium AP discount!).

mtriv73
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Are there any details on where it will be available? I'm assuming the parks (which is convenient for maybe 5% of people,) I'm. Hoping it will also either be online or in disney stores.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Are there any details on where it will be available? I'm assuming the parks (which is convenient for maybe 5% of people,) I'm. Hoping it will also either be online or in disney stores.
I'm thinking the parks only. None of the other Star Tours stuff is available anywhere else. But you can call them and order, usually.

JediTricks
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Disney DelivEARS (I kid you not) is the Disneyland park purchasing service: 800-362-4533

Walt Disney World has a different version: 407-363-6200

JediTricks
11-26-2011, 03:07 PM
You can see it in action in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v-nD8qCVkGE#t=966s
I've cued it up to the 16:06 mark when it's featured. The video goes to 720HD, so make sure to set it to that.

$55 at late December (in WDW anyway), and it looks really good. More interestingly perhaps, it also looks like way more toy for $55 than we'd get from Hasbro, and that kind of annoys me that Hasbro can't deliver something this size anymore without a lot of excuses. This $55 Starspeeder 1000 is designed right from the ride, it has moving features, authentic electronic sounds (although I think Hasbro has to license those from LFL), an interchangeable front screen, a removable roof, and a bunch of seats; and it looks really solid, not at all the flimsy piece of junk I was imagining.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
It does indeed look awesome. The accurate sound effect when the doors open has me all tingly inside. :D

El Chuxter
11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow.

If I were Hasbro, I'd be hiding in shame right now.

morpheus282
11-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I have only one thing to say about this ship - I want it. Too bad I won't be going to Disney any time soon. What does their DelivEARS service charge for shipping?

JediTricks
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I haven't done DelivEARS in a long time, but I think the service was free and shipping was a bit steep.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Here is a photo album (http://imgur.com/a/xN0lS/all) with several shots of figures in the vehicle. C-3PO and Ace look great in the pilot's chair, but the best part of all is that the chair is removable and Rex can fit in there. I can quite truly die a happy man now.

figrin bran
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I saw these on the shelves at Disneyland this past weekend. The box is huge, roughly the size of the Republic Shuttle's box and as mentioned, Hasbro would charge $100 for something like this.

That being said and my passholder discount notwithstanding, I decided to hold off on purchasing it until I read a proper review or two. It's going to take up a lot of display space and so I need to figure out whether I rather have this out on display or a vehicle that was actually in the films.

JediTricks
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm going to DL this weekend and intend to pick one up with my AP discount. I was going to go last weekend when I saw the news, but since we had family plans to go a week later, I figured it'd just be a waste of gas money (around $10), of which I don't have much of right now.

mtriv73
12-15-2011, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine ordered one for each of us today. With shipping he said it came to about $62.50.

DarkJedi5
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
A friend of mine ordered one for each of us today. With shipping he said it came to about $62.50.

Do you know where he ordred them from? Was it DiscovEars or whatever that service is?

mtriv73
12-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Do you know where he ordred them from? Was it DiscovEars or whatever that service is?

Jedi Defender has the info for it on their front page:
Disney Parks Merchandise Services 877-560-6477

JediTricks
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I picked up the Starspeeder 1000 last night at Disneyland. Right now, AP discount was 20% off, so that was $11 off the pricetag, the take-home after tax being $47.93, IIRC.

It's a big window box with a big vehicle inside. The backdrop is the podrace. The front box window on mine got knocked in on the way back to the car, but otherwise the box survived. Getting it out requires cutting a lot of seam tape on the box, then some tape on the tray, then cutting 2 shrink-wraps around the body of the Starspeeder. Inside the Starspeeder you'll need to remove 2 pieces of masking tape, one holding in the interchangeable screen panels, and another holding down the pilot chair.

The vehicle looks quite good, I could believe it was a design-aid model if it were under glass, very little gives it away. The exterior details are paint for the big white and gray elements, and pre-applied waterslide decals for the little stuff - it helps to be picky about how yours looks, but the reality is that you can only see the left side, front and back, not the right or the interior, so it's always a gamble - mine has a slightly askew "Starspeeder 1000" logo and a little bit of filled-in slop, but nothing egregious. The orange metallic plastic color has a few swirls as with any metallic dye in a plastic, but largely looks good enough. The simple R2 figure in the droid slot has the basics down for his look. The only bit of the ship exterior I feel got a short shrift was the engine nozzles on the back, which remain gray like most of the back - some of that gray on mine has a tiny bit of slop, but at this color it's barely noticeable. The IC-360 droid's socket interior has stickers for the walls' detail, and the droid itself is fully painted in accurate coloring.

The interior is all pre-applied stickers for the deco on the walls, and they overlap a little at the edges - that's common with bigger stickers unfortunately. The sticker nature is a bit of a bummer, but acceptable at the price. The pilot seat on mine had a bent control, but I was able to slowly bend it back into position without it even showing a stress mark. The open ceiling area without the roof has a couple orange paint blotch slops on mine, no idea why, but they don't interfere with enjoyment since they're not in a canonical area of the ship. The chairs, including the pilot chair, sport gray paint accents that are well-applied. Several areas on the interior have thin plastic stringers, easily removed.

The size is impressive, it's probably not that far off scale, maybe 1:1.25 or thereabouts. Oddly, while the ship is only a little under-scale, the R2 it comes with is a little over-scale. The ship stands about as tall as the tallest point on the BMF, but looks bigger due to being a uniform shape; it's roughly the same size body as the newer AT-AT, but seems somehow much bigger because it's not tapered, I guess. The Starspeeder is hefty without being heavy, so it can be whooshed. Sculpting on the exterior is very good overall, a few elements not quite as tight but still good enough; the underside and aft sections of the SS1k are all sculpted as accurately as I've ever seen, although the movable landing legs seen in the boarding video are nowhere to be found - fine by me, it's not accurate to the one seen in line. The interior sculpting is far less impressive though, just 3 rows of seats and the pilot seat, no finer details sculpted unfortunately, but it's still enjoyable. The ship overall feels pretty strong, though the sides at the doors are definitely more flex than you'd want to grab it by.

Pressing in the upper engine nozzle on either side opens that side's doors in unison and locks them open, it also lights up 3 yellow LEDs between the doors and plays the 5-note Star Tours chime, a great touch; a second press closes the doors. The lower 2 engine nozzles set off 3PO thanking you for choosing Star Tours, and the other is him demanding lightspeed, followed by a jump to lightspeed; both set off the blue front headlight using 2 blue LEDs inside (so close you can see the angle they're attached, but it's cool none the less), while the lightspeed also lights up the red LED at the tip of either lower cannon. An external button just behind the slope of the ship opens the twin concealed blasters under the front window along with corresponding mechanical sound and then blaster fire - the blasters reveal in a nice way that's slowed down just a little bit, and the blasters are small rubbery plastic that might be delicate, I haven't checked yet. Both the doors and the hidden blasters can be deployed without electronic features by depressing their buttons only halfway. R2 sits loose in his socket, he's sculpted adequately for a '90s Hasbro R2 except Disney didn't give him leg articulation or close the underside of his main body where his 3rd leg would be, so all you get here is a turning dome; press down on the figure and you get 1 of 3 R2 sounds as well as the main headlight lighting blue for each. The IC-360's hatch is held in with a very small friction tab, and the droid itself similarly uses a loose friction peg, it enjoys no electronic features. The interior has 4 removable panels to cover the cockpit-shield sticker at the front screen area, each one has tabs to set off a sound file unique to the image - a holographic Yoda transmission, an AT-AT on Hoth, a Podrace scene, and a space shot of the Death Star. A slick feature they designed in is that the 3PO pilot chair not only can rotate, but is removable so that the Star Tours Captain Rex figure can be put in its place.

If this had been a Hasbro piece, it definitely would have cost a lot more at this size, but the interior would have been better and there would have been a little more variety among the sounds. That said, at $55 this massive piece is a home run and definitely the toy Star Tours fans have been waiting for over the last 24 years since the ride opened. In terms of my Star Wars collection, it almost shames the other big vehicles because it's pretty much to scale where they aren't, so it looks good next to the Falcon but it also reminds one that the BMF just ain't big enough.

figrin bran
12-20-2011, 12:50 AM
I have one of these now as well!

I have just one thing to add to JT's review comments...each passenger row has two seat belts that clasp in the middle seat with two notches and it's quite cumbersome to get those notches to lock into place. And this is just a minor flaw but on the restraint on my 3rd row, there's a few streaks of reddish orange paint.

JediTricks
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Congrats on getting one!

Yeah, I did neglect to mention the seatbelt that covers all 3 seats. Mine is not having terrible difficulty with the tiny pegs though, but I haven't put any figures in it, so that probably is where the issue stems.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-21-2012, 01:35 PM
For those of you who already have this - what are the box's measurements? I want to get one when I'm there in August, but I don't know if it will be possible to put it in a suitcase (even all by itself).

El Chuxter
07-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I can't give you concrete measurements, but I've seen it several times (still haven't actually bought it, though), and putting it in a suitcase might be a stretch. Definitely not in a carry-on.

JediTricks
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
For those of you who already have this - what are the box's measurements? I want to get one when I'm there in August, but I don't know if it will be possible to put it in a suitcase (even all by itself).I can't give you measurements as I recycled the packaging after I got it, but I can tell you that the Speeder is approximately 20 x 7 x 8, and the box was about 1 to 2 inches in every direction. I'd trust USPS over the TSA on this one though, mail it home, or even have WDW's Disney DelivEARS send it to you now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-21-2012, 04:57 PM
After reading your info and looking at pictures to try to compare next to figures, it does seem pretty huge. I was trying to not have to pay the shipping charges, and the suitcase could maybe possibly work but seems right on the cusp of being too small. It could maybe work as a carry-on but then I'd have to check another bag which might end up being the same as or more than just shipping it from there, and I'm gonna be having other stuff to bring home as well. I know Disney offers shipping from the parks, would that be less expensive than calling DelivEARS (given that there might not be as much of a service charge, or whatever)? Have any of you shipped something while in the park?

JediTricks
07-21-2012, 05:37 PM
It's big, it holds its own next to the BMF on bulk.

I've never shipped something from the park, only used DelivEARS to get stuff when I wasn't there, so I can't speak to any other service.

Steve's biggest luggage at Comic-Con I think was big enough to put this in there with some clothes on the side, but I would measure twice before deciding if your luggage can handle it. I guess you could take it out of the box entirely, then you'd know exactly how big of space you'd need, just wrap it in some clothes for a little protection, but I wouldn't risk it, the size is big enough that it wouldn't take much to bust it up - the sides specifically with the doors aren't all that strong because there's 5 geared doors on each.

El Chuxter
07-21-2012, 06:34 PM
By "there," you mean Orlando, right?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I ended up getting it in Orlando. It would have fit in one of the suitcases, but I ended up getting a lot of other stuff as well, so I had to ship it - with a cool $40 charge shipping it from the convention center. Ouch.

JediTricks
08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Have you received it yet? What do you think?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I shipped it to my family's house on Sunday, so it will still probably be a couple more days before it gets there; I probably won't be going back until at least this weekend. I can't wait to open it up - it looks pretty sweet. Oddly, it was only one of two that I saw at Tatooine Traders, so I'm glad I got it.

Tycho
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I saw this loose at JT's house, and I really liked it and wanted one for my Clone Wars figures as a Twilight substitute.

I'd have

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Padme
R2
C-3PO

on board from the Escape The Malevolence episode. (Ahsoka and Rex were left on the star destroyer).

But the crew as it was in the Clone Wars reminded me of how the Twilight was like their Falcon for a while, and a crew of

Luke
Han
Leia
R2
C-3PO

Way back then. The Clone Wars featured no one who could have replaced Chewbacca though.

I know the Starspeeder is a big ship from first hand experience. But if they made the Twilight, there exists the possibility that the CW crew I described above would also be less than half the figures the ship could actually hold.

Still, quite often, less is more.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't believe CVI was a month ago - these past few weeks have absolutely flown by.

Anyway, for $55, this ship would have been much better, but paying $75 and then $40 in shipping is going to make me slightly harsher on this puppy. But it's still really great for what it is. As JT said, if Hasbro had done it instead of Disney, the interior would have been more detailed - going from their recent fantastic cockpits to a completely plain interior covered in slightly askew stickers is a huge difference.

That's really my only complaint, since otherwise it rocks. As I've mentioned before, I rode Star Tours just a few months after I saw the OT for the first time in 1997, so for me it's tied to my earliest SW memories. I've been back many, many times, and last month was my first time on the updated ride, which is a fantastic experience - err, experiences (and pays enough homage to the original that it's difficult to truly miss it). So to finally get a Starspeeder that fits the figures is a great feeling, especially with things like the Star Tours tone playing whenever the doors open and close. It goes well with the two figure packs that came out last year, with C-3PO, AC-38, or good ol' Rex playing the role of captain all quite well. I certainly wish I didn't have to pay twice as much as it cost last year, and the interior could be better, but overall, if you're a fan of the ride, you owe it to yourself to get this.