PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball 2012

Tycho
10-31-2011, 04:55 AM
This is a new baseball season thread started right after the Cardinals beat the Rangers to win the World Series.

The first post-season October 2011 trading news can start here.

The most noted moves in my neck of the woods were Padres management and Red Sox management heading for the Chicago Cubs.

(Epstein, Hoyer, and McLeod) They were all Red Sox before and my conspiracy-theory mind thinks all the maneuvering was done to orchestrate the Adrian Gonzalez trade and take him away from my Padres.

Certainly other late-season moves like Lance Berkman's made an even bigger difference, as I don't know why the Red Sox fell apart.

Now will the Phillies keep their dream-team rotation going into 2012? I was sure that would've helped them clinch it last season.

Texas? I didn't see them coming again. I figured on them being the AL West leaders. Only the Angels can challenge them for that. But it's not really a competitive conference. However, now they are the 2-time-in-a-row World Series losers. God that's gotta be awful for the Texans. However, I'd guess that if they don't fall apart, they might turn up as the AL West 2012 champions, too - unless the Angels can go the distance again.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
No, the big question is whether the Pirates' 2011 hope and promise means that they will end their North American team sport record 19-straight losing seasons streak. Or, will they have two full decades of disappointment? :( :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
11-01-2011, 03:04 AM
LaRussa not being back in 2012 is a big deal, also it'll be interesting to see what happens to two certain free agent first basemen in the NL Central. One I think is gone (Fielder) and the other I thought would stay (Pujols) but now with LaRussa leaving I'm not quite as sure about that one.

Tycho
12-09-2011, 09:37 AM
We lost Master Yoda.

I believe he went with the packaged deal that sent Heath Bell to the Marlins (who are amassing quite The Force as it is for next season).

I am actually up to buy Spring Training Tickets. But why?

I think one day I'm in Arizona I'm actually going to have to skip my precious Padres game and go to the Angels' stadium (with a buddy that wants to go) and see Albert Pujols battle the Texas Rangers. Should be interesting.

Meanwhile: The Padres -

Pitchers lost: Wade LeBlanc, Aaron Harang, too.

Probable Starters:

1. Mat Latos
2. Clayton Richard
3. Cory Leubke
4. Tim Stauffer
5. ??? (Anthony Bass has started and done well before - his programming was done by R2D2 in the Padres' Star Wars bullpen)

Like I said, now Miami has the Star Wars bullpen (probably) as the Star Wars baseball galaxy has probably shifted to the Right (Coast) Side of The Force.

Catchers:

Hundley
Baker
Martinez (good nooB)

1st:

Anthony Rizzo?
Jesus Guzman (very talented batter)

2nd:

Orlando Hudson? (I think we want to lose him)
Logan Forsythe

3rd:

Chase Headley

Shortstop:

Jason Bartlett (we also may want to lose him)
Everth Cabrera

I think infielder Alberto Gonzalez is gone.

Outfield:

Will Venable (if he can hang on)
Mark Kotsay (if he hasn't aged too much)
Cameron Maybin (the star)
Chris Denorfia (he never ages...well, that much)

Bullpen pickup:

Closer Huston Street (will that do any good?)

Ernesto Frieri
Luke Gregorson
Joe Thatcher
Eric Hamren (Clone Trooper)
Josh Spence (Yoda's last padawan - soft-toss but very difficult to hit apparently)

and others I am forgetting.

Haven't heard of most of these guys?

That wouldn't surprise me.

And the off-season dealing continues on with Josh Byrnes as our new GM as the rest of our management ran off to Chicago.

Tycho
12-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I forgot to add this from last season:

JimJamBonds
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I am actually up to buy Spring Training Tickets. But why?Spring training is fun, its cheap and you're in Arizona in March, what isn't to like?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-10-2011, 08:14 AM
So the Angels get an aging vet for their bench (they HAVE to play last year's rookie phenom at first, you know) and a lefty spot-starter, eh?

JimJamBonds
12-10-2011, 11:48 AM
And what about the Marlins spending more in free agency this off season then in the last 14 off seasons combined!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Miami apparently has more moolah than Florida, I guess.

But hey, Nate McClouth is back! And Ross Ohlendorf is not. For the Pirates. They play baseball, too. In the MLB even.

JimJamBonds
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't know if this should go in the 2011 or 2012 thread but breaking news is that Ryan Braun tested positive for a ped and will get a 50 game sit down, although he is protesting the positive testing.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, if it holds up, it'll certainly affect his '12 season. I will wait for this to play out before I pass any judgment on him.

JimJamBonds
12-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Lots of stuff going 'round about RB, I hope it isn't true. Even if it is this will be with him forever.

Tycho
12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I can make Angels games if I drive for about 90 minutes.

Plus they are coming to play 3 in San Diego during Inter-League as well.

Tycho
12-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Well, we dealt Mat Latos. Wonderful.

In our next move, we are going to give up our physical seats in PETCO Park. The stadium no longer has any use for them.
Hopefully we will get a bag of peanuts from the actual Washington Nationals.

Meanwhile, I have gotten my Spring Training ticket for the Texas Rangers when they play a bunch of guys they'll assemble in San Diego.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Pirates had picked up a decent pitcher to eat up innings in AJ Burnett, even knowing his less-than-stellar stats the last few seasons. Then he breaks his orbital bone in a bunt drill; out 2-3 months. :(

DarthQuack
03-03-2012, 09:37 PM
A gift from the Yankees ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, at least $20 mill. of his 2-year salary's being paid by the Wall St. Yank-vestment Group.

Tycho
03-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Jason Veritek will be missed.

I leave for Arizona in just about 2 weeks exactly.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Buccos give up just 1 run to Cy Young hopeful Doc Holladay on Opening Day! :Pirate: :thumbsup:

But when you score no runs yourself, with 2 hits, that's not so good, Al. :(

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Braves lost.

Mets won.

Yankees have yet to play.

We will see how this turns out.

Darth Metalmute
04-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Verlander pitched a gem, but the Tigers blow a save for the first time in two seasons. Luckily, they score in the ninth to win!

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
There was some really good pitching today to begin the season. Hopefully that's a sign of good things to come!!

Tycho
04-06-2012, 04:51 AM
I've been very busy these days - a lot of my time spent with baseball actually.

I went to Spring Training in Arizona for the Padres and an Angel vs. Rangers game. The former split the games I saw, and the Angels won theirs.

I also saw an exhibition game versus the Royals that the Padres played in our home stadium in San Diego and won 2-1.

We lost our season opener to the Dodgers 5-3.

We have 3 more games vs. the Dodgers at home, including tonight. I'm a full season ticket holder, so I'm going. Hopefully I'll see something better than the 3 errors and poor performance of Edison Volquez that I saw last night. When Anthony Bass came in as a reliever, he did great. They were considering him for a 5th starter. I think they should consider that again. But I know Volquez just had a rough night. But Cameron Maybin missed a catch that hit his glove! What was up with that? He made it up with a 2 run homer though.

Tycho
04-06-2012, 04:59 AM
http://www.dailysportnewspaper.org/baseball/photo-aren%E2%80%99t-you-a-little-short-for-stormtrooper-backpack.html

By the way, the above was from last year and the Padres' Star Wars backpack program.

It reveals that TK-421 wasn't at his post because he was pitching in the National League.

"TK-421, why aren't you at your post? TK-421 do you copy?"

"Copy that. The count's 3 and 2 and a Solo runner's in scoring position. I'm going to throw him some garbage."

Yesterday the Padres were not carrying Star Wars backpacks. I am trying to learn if Yoda is now a Miami Marlin.

Since this is a rookie thing, we might have to wait until we see some non-opening-day-roster call-ups for the pitchers in either the Padres or Marlin's pens.

Meanwhile, as we opened against the Dodgers, I was advised by friends not to risk damage to Yoda by bringing him while people from Los Angeles were in our stadium. I already saw the police being called into the stands yesterday. Dodger fans....

JetsAndHeels
04-07-2012, 04:43 PM
As I type this Prince Fielder just hit his second HR of the day. The Tigers are a very good team.

And Josh Beckett has allowed 5 HR's today. Not good for the Sox.

Darth Metalmute
04-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Hopefully Fisters not badly injured because he was dominant. Below pitched well in his place. Bullpen is the tigers weakest link and they pitched 5 scoreless innings. This is going to be a great year.

Tycho
04-08-2012, 07:49 AM
My Padres have dropped 3 in a row to the Dodgers. Not inspiring.

We're making a lot of errors and couldn't win yesterday with bases loaded walks to tie the score. Sad.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-08-2012, 09:57 AM
The :Pirate:s have a team ERA of 0.95, which is amazing, but only a 1-1 record, which is pedestrian. That's what happens when you score 1.5 runs per game. #onpaceforan81-81season :pleased:

Darth Metalmute
04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Two last at bat heroics in one game! This season is off to a great start!

Tycho
04-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Chase Headley's first hit of the 2012 season was a GRAND SLAM! How cool is that?!

Way to go Chase!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-12-2012, 04:20 PM
So, after 30-odd games into the season, what're the biggest surprises?
- division leaders are Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas [no shock], Washington, LA, & Pujols-less St. Louis?
- Boston, Anaheim, Milwaukee, & Philly so bad?
- Pujols under .200, 1 HR?
- Chipper Jones, Jamie Moyer, Jason Giambi, Livon Hernandez are STILL playing?
- other?
- none of the above?

Darth Metalmute
05-12-2012, 07:20 PM
The fact that the Tigers haven't won back to back games in almost a month is surprising to me.

Slicker
05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
The fact that the Tigers haven't won back to back games in almost a month is surprising to me.The Tigers are really disappointing me. They came out roaring (HA!) but now they're stuggling to maintain .500. Thankfully, the rest of the division sucks so, as of right now, they've still got a chance of taking it.

Tycho
05-14-2012, 06:32 PM
My thoughts are that anything can happen this season.

Perhaps the really good teams are pacing themselves and holding back?

Maybe they want to unload their garbage players before the All-Star Break by convincing Baltimore and Washington and others that they are contenders. Then beginning around July 13th, the Red Sox, Phillies, Angels and a few others will begin to sweep the rest of their seasons.

I believe this is a conspiracy and I've identified the motivation behind it.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
The fact that the Tigers haven't won back to back games in almost a month is surprising to me.Just schedule the Buccos, apparently, to fix that. :( One hit, one 9th-inning hit. But Pittsburgh's hanging close to that elusive .500 mark...

JimJamBonds
05-19-2012, 10:53 AM
The Brewers suck, one of these games Bob Uecker is going to go into Harry Doyle mode.

Tycho
05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I took my very first girlfriend - ever - to the Angels versus the Padres, yesterday.

The Padres won the whole series 2 games to 1 and we took 13 innings on a Sunday afternoon yesterday just to do so. It was a hard fought game!

Darth Metalmute
05-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Tigers finally win back-to-back games. Hopefully 'it's a trend and not the Twins...

Slicker
05-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Those bats have really come alive in the past 2 games (but, as you said, it could just be the Twins) and Fielder went 4/4 last night. I honestly didn't expect big numbers from him since he did switch leagues but I am thankful that he doesn't seem to be as big of a bust at Pujols...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
If the :Pirate:s could just get some offense, they'd be much better than their floating-near-.500 status. Their pitching is pretty strong (many quality starts, good bullpen, strong closer), just no big bats or run production. Win by HBP in the bottom of the ninth? By any means necessary, I guess...

Darth Metalmute
05-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Those bats have really come alive in the past 2 games (but, as you said, it could just be the Twins) and Fielder went 4/4 last night. I honestly didn't expect big numbers from him since he did switch leagues but I am thankful that he doesn't seem to be as big of a bust at Pujols...

Three in a row! Break up the Tigers!

I'm surprised Fielder hasn't posted better power numbers but am pleased that he is hitting over .300.
They still need to get better with runners in scoring position. 1-11 today...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Pirates were at .500 on two different days this week! (and they still are today :thumbsup: ) And they beat some division opponents, too.

Darth Metalmute
05-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Tigers are the only Eastern Time Zone team with a sub .500 record.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
How the Brewers just swept the Dodgers in a four game series.... I do not know.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Get me a paper bag, not for vomiting but to prevent hyper-ventilating. Buccos are OVER the .500 mark! :Pirate: Arr! :Pirate: Arr! :Pirate: ARR!

And after 51 years, only the Padres have yet to throw a no-hitter as a team (including the Rays, Marlins, or Rockies); good for you, Santana and the Mets.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I know it's early in the season, but Pittsburgh's over .500 and in 2nd place in the division, 3 games back. :pleased: A strong bullpen, solid starting pitching, and now they're starting to score more runs.

JimJamBonds
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
"My team" got whupped on by BCJ's "team." Stupid Brewers.

Tycho
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Last night was 2nd Base Logan Forsythe's first MLB homerun - and it was a solo walk-off, 3 outs away from going into extra innings with the Giants!

Glorious!

Not so much the streaker that ran on to the field during the game and got chased around by security for a few minutes.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2012, 05:42 PM
C'mon Tigers! If Detroit can beat Cincy tonight, the Buccos, fresh off a Royals sweep, would be in 1st place! :Pirate:

Darth Metalmute
06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
C'mon Tigers! If Detroit can beat Cincy tonight, the Buccos, fresh off a Royals sweep, would be in 1st place! :Pirate:

It's not looking good... Then again, neither has this season.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2012, 11:20 PM
It's not looking good... Then again, neither has this season.Ya just gotta believe! In both scenarios; Pittsburgh's tied for first!

Darth Metalmute
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Ya just gotta believe! In both scenarios; Pittsburgh's tied for first!

Tiger fans have to thank Dusty Baker for that win. Two inning saves never work, especially when your closer had worked the previous two games.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
The :Pirate:s have the 5th-best NL record, are one game out of first in the Central, and hold one of the two Wild Card spots. Nice comeback last night on the road vs. the Cards. And they're hitting better, too. Keep up the good work, Buccos! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Keep on rollin' and raise the Jolly Roger! :Pirate: Buccos are alone in first, have the 2nd-best record in the NL and 4th-best in MLB. Stay hungry, my friends! Arr! :Pirate: :thumbsup:

Tycho
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
The Padres are in 4th Place.

It's not dead last. Should I celebrate?

Well, I don't know if we can catch Los Angeles and San Francisco.

If we're dead last we'll catch the No.1 draft picks.

Here's some pics of me and the players I had taken at Spring Training.

I'm with Jesus Guzman, Chase Headley, Cameron Maybin, and John Baker.

JimJamBonds
07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Tiger fans have to thank Dusty Baker for that win. Two inning saves never work, especially when your closer had worked the previous two games.
Tell that to Rollie Fingers and other relievers from the 70's and 80's. #YesIknowthewayrelievesareusedhaschanged

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I am confused. I always thought the "save" meant the following:

- pitch the last 3+ innings of a game where your team has the lead, regardless of the run differential, without giving up a lead or tying up the score
- enter a game with the lead, and be the final pitcher used, when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs
- pitch the ninth (or last) inning when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs
- record the final out when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs; or if the run differential would be equal to 3 if the inherited runners on base scored without tying the score (i.e. it's 6-2 with the bases loaded, it could still be 6-5 if all three baserunners scored)

I've seen pitchers get saves in other situations than those (no, I can't recall specifics, sorry). Am I wrong? Have the save situations changed even more than the get-six-good-innings-from-your-starter, two-innings-of-middle-relief, then the 9th-inning-closer aspect?

JimJamBonds
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
You're pretty close there BCJ, this was more or less the original rule

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
He is not the winning pitcher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win_%28baseball%29);
He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
He satisfies one of the following conditions:

He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_%28baseball%29) and pitches for at least one inning
He enters the game, regardless of the count (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_%28baseball%29), with the potential tying run either on base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baserunning), at bat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_%28baseball%29) or on deck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_deck_%28baseball%29)
He pitches for at least three innings

There were a few changes made...

In 1974, tougher criteria were adopted for saves where the tying run had to be on base or at the plate when the reliever entered to qualify for a save (unless he pitched three innings).[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_%28baseball%29#cite_note-schechter-11) This addressed saves such as Ron Taylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Taylor_%28baseball%29)'s in a 20–6 New York Mets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Mets) win over the Atlanta Braves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Braves).[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_%28baseball%29#cite_note-12)[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_%28baseball%29#cite_note-13) The rule was relaxed in 1975 to credit a save when a reliever pitches at least one inning with no more than a three-run lead, or comes in with runners on base but the tying run on deck. Rolaids in 2000 started recording a tough save when a pitcher enters a save situation with the potential tying run already on base, but still earns the save. [11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_%28baseball%29#cite_note-schechter-11)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I didn't know about the "on deck" part. That would explain getting a save in a 5-1 game or something. I've never heard of a "tough save" before. Like the hold stat they're trying to get for middle relievers? it "exists," but isn't recognized as a legit statistic?

Darth Metalmute
07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
And the tigers are at .500! Bout time!

JimJamBonds
07-07-2012, 06:34 AM
The "on deck" part was dropped, there needs to be either the tying run on the bases or at bat. I'd never heard of the tough save either... then again its baseball and there are a million stats so I guess that makes sense. :applouse:

I also like the holds stat, kinda gives you an idea of what a reliever has done. :concern:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I remember my one year in a baseball fantasy league, and at the end of the draft, all the teams (except me) started taking "scrub" pitchers, middle relievers. When I lost the first week's "hold" category to my opponent, I figured out quite quickly I needed some of those.

Think of all the stats we think of as "important" in sports, that weren't always there from the start:

BASKETBALL
- assists
- blocked shots
- minutes played
BASEBALL
- saves
- runs batted in
FOOTBALL
- sacks
- pancake blocks :rolleyes:
HOCKEY
- plus/minus rating
- shootout losses (okay, this one's lame)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2012, 10:08 AM
So, it's the All-Star break.

Surprises?
- all the NL division leaders (LA, Pitt, Wash.)
- so many no-hitters (including 2 perfectos)
- Cliff Lee's win total
- Jamie Moyer NOT on a roster
- Detroit, Boston, Philly struggles

Darth Metalmute
07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm more surprised by J.V. pitching performance Tuesday night than the Tigers struggles.

my mid season awards:
ROTY AL: Mike Trout
ROTY NL: Bryce Harper (Those were easy)
MOTY AL: Buck Showalter
MOTY NL: Clint Hurdle
CY Young AL: Jared Weaver
CY Young NL: R.A. Dickey
AL MVP: Josh Hamilton
NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen

JimJamBonds
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I heard that JV wanted to "give the fans a show" and was trying to hit triple digits...I guess his show consisted of him getting lit up.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Interesting deals before the trade deadline so far:
Ichiro (NYY), Ramirez (LAD), Lee (MIA), Youkilis (CWS).

With more to come (Dempster, Grienke, Street, Garza, etc.) mebbe?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
And "more" meant Pence, Victorino, Rodriguez, Liriano, Johnsons, Lincoln (this could be a big bullpen loss for the Pirates), Soto, Broxton, etc.

So close! Almost a no-hitter, and can't quite gain any ground on the Reds (tough when you go 7-3 while your leader goes 10-0), who the Buccos play (in Cincy) this weekend. Arr! :Pirate: :thumbsup:

Tycho
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Derek Jeter is out the rest of the season with a sex change operation. It was on the Yankees Facebook page.

Darth Metalmute
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Was at the greatest baseball game I have ever seen yesterday. Down by 3 runs with 2 outs and nobody on, the Tigers exploded for 5 runs capped off by a Migeul Cabrera home run.

DarthQuack
08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
How bout Bel's Bucs! Hopefully not jinxing it that they're in line for a winning season! ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2012, 08:49 PM
How bout Bel's Bucs! Hopefully not jinxing it that they're in line for a winning season! ;):Pirate: Arr! :Pirate: Arr! :thumbsup:

This is the earliest they've reached the can't-lose-100-games mark in a long time. I'm holding out hope for the division, or a Wild Card, but a +.500 year would be awesomely woo-hoo!

Tycho
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
First, my Padres swept the Cubs and Clayton Richard pitched a full 9 innings for a complete game shut-out!

I felt basebll fever once more when I left the stadium yesterday.

Next, Chase Headley caught a liner at 3rd and threw across the diamond to first base in under a second to make a double-play on the Cubs runner heading to 2nd and you'd miss the whole thing if you blinked it happened that fast.

Chase is really underrated and unknown in MLB but he's a .275 batter and a gold-glove candidate for an infielder.

Next, my predictions:

NL

West- Dodgers
Cen- Reds
East- Nationals
WC1 - Giants
WC2 - Braves

NLC: Reds

AL

West - Angels
Cen - Tigers
East - Orioles
WC1 - Rangers
WC2 - Yankees

ALC: Angels

WS: Reds

But it's still very early out. I'll be interested to see if I got it right.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Here are my "picks," by my heart and then my mind:

WHAT I WANT
NL West (LA)
NL Central (Pitt)
NL East (Wash)
NL WC (Cincy over 'Zona)

AL West (Anaheim, yes, ANAHEIM)
AL Central (Det)
AL East (TB)
AL WC (Tex over NYY)

NLCS (Pitt over LA)

ALCS (Anaheim over Tex)

WS (Pitt over Anaheim, with Bel-Cam Jos in attendance for the clinching game :pleased: )

WHAT I THINK'LL OCCUR:
NL West (LA)
NL Central (Cincy)
NL East (Wash)
NL WC (Pitt over SF)

AL West (Texas)
AL Central (CWS)
AL East (NYY)
AL WC (Anaheim over Det)

NLCS (Cincy over Wash)

ALCS (Tex over NYY)

WS (Cincy over Tex)

Darth Metalmute
08-11-2012, 12:08 PM
AL EAST: NNY
AL CENTRAL: DET
AL WEST: TEX
AL WC: ANH over CHW

NL EAST: WASH
NL CENTRAL: CIN
NL WEST: LAD
NL WC: PITT over ATL

AL DIVISIONAL: ANH over NYY; DET over TEX

NL DIVISIONAL: PITT over WASH; CIN over LAD

AL CHAMPIONSHIP: DET over ANH

NL CHAMPIONSHIP: CIN over PITT

WORLD SERIES: DET over CIN

Tycho
08-11-2012, 09:44 PM
The padres shut out pittsburgh with the 2 hitter!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
And DQ, if you hadn't had your birthday recently, I'd claim jinx on you! ;) How do the Buccos lose twice to the Padres at home, giving up 6 runs a game? :(

Tycho
08-11-2012, 09:49 PM
my Team has discovered their mad slanted powers

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2012, 11:16 PM
One year ago, the :Pirate:s lost a 19-inning heartbreaker in Atlanta, 4-3, on a call at the plate. That set in motion a downward spiral that took any wind out of the sails the Jolly Roger enjoyed in '11. Today, they outlast the Cards in 19, 6-3. I predict that no such swoon will kill the Bucco's '12 season this time.

Tycho
08-20-2012, 05:24 AM
We'll see the Pirates in San Diego today. I'll be at the ballpark all 3 games.

Clayton Richard pitched for us yesterday when we beat the Giants, so you don't have to worry about him holding the Pirates to a 1-hitter like Jason Maruis did when the Padres shut them out last week.

They'll face Edison Volquez, Jason Marquis, and Ross Olendorf.

Did I mention Jason Marquis? Oh yeah. Didn't he bat 1.000 against the Pirates last week (2 for 2, and a sacrafice)?

I guess it was just some guy in a San Diego uniform that had the same name as he does.

Tycho
08-21-2012, 02:05 AM
26561While my Padres with Edison Volquez were beating the Pirates 3-1, I got on The Friar Feud (our between innings Trivia Contest).

Here's me and my beautiful Padres Girls coaches Andrea and Jenna:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Pirates win! Sad that they've slipped out of the Wild Card spots, but there's plenty of time (and they play the teams they need to beat over the next few series). Let's go Buccs! :Pirate: Arr!

JimJamBonds
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Pirates lose! Man they just have all sorts of problems with Milwaukee.

Tycho
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Oh yeah? You think you've got problems.

Adrian Gonzalez, the former Padres star, is coming to play for Los Angeles.

I read that, tried to go back to sleep like I was having a nightmare.

And I woke up and he was still on their roster.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
JimJamB, take this the right way, but I hate your Brewers. You, you're fine. But the ballclub you support... :mad: :rolleyes: The :Pirate:s cannot win 100 games this year, but 82 is still in sight (as is a Wild Card spot, or maybe with luck and desire, the Central).

Darth Metalmute
09-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Tigers sweep the White Sox to tie for first place... and then goes into the toilet against the lowly Indians...

JimJamBonds
09-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Brewers sweep P'burg!

JimJamBonds
09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
BCJ, dude what's going on with your team?!?!?! If they're not careful they aren't going to make the playoffs.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
BCJ, dude what's going on with your team?!?!?! If they're not careful they aren't going to have a winning record for the first time in 20 years.Yes, I agree with that statement. The dreaded 4-3 loss occurred again last night. At home. To the Cubbies. :cry: I haven't given up hope, but I am concerned. :Pirate: Arr?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I will just post a few weepi-cons...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What've I asked for the past several years? 81 wins. That's nine more than right now. This year, I get greedy and ask for a playoff spot. :( I'd still like both, but right now, they just need to wrap up the first. :thumbsup: :Pirate:

Tycho
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
My Padres swept the World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals!

One fan was so happy he ran across the field during the game - and security couldn't catch him!

He was so fast that we had to cheer him on. The guy took off from the 3rd base side stands and made it to climb over the centerfield wall and land on The Beach.

Rumors were that he was caught and arrested at some point in close proximity to that.

Also, he was a minor - 17 and there at the game with his mom. ???

But if you run on the field at PETCO you're automatically subject to a night in jail and a $1,600 fine.

I think they'll prosecute this kid as if he was an adult.

But these were some great nights at the games!

The Padres could be on fire next season if the momentum we've had in the 2nd half of the season can continue next spring.

Also the 2013 schedule came out. We're hosting the Yankees here and playing the Red Sox in Boston! A busy season.

I'm already planning on going out to Chicago and taking BobaFrett with me to the Padres / Cubs cames the first few days of May next year.

It's going to be fun times!

JimJamBonds
09-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I will just post a few weepi-cons...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What've I asked for the past several years? 81 wins. That's nine more than right now. This year, I get greedy and ask for a playoff spot. :( I'd still like both, but right now, they just need to wrap up the first. :thumbsup: :Pirate:I don't think they'll get the second... and if I had to put money on it I don't think they'd get the first either. Sorry BCJ.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
If they play .500 ball to close out the season, they'll get those 81 wins. Close enough to the Wild Card to keep them in the chase, but they're the fourth team vying for two spots (plus Philly and Milly who're hot right now).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Please, PLEASE stop scheduling the Brewers! It's against the 8th Amendment! :mad:

JimJamBonds
09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Please, PLEASE stop scheduling the Brewers! It's against the 8th Amendment! :mad:
The Honorable Judge Jim Jam Bonds has reviewed the case and has found against BCJ.

DarthQuack
09-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Come on Bucs! Get a winning season!!! At 74-74 right now....

JimJamBonds
09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Come on Bucs! Get a winning season!!! At 74-74 right now....
Make that 74-75.

Darth Metalmute
09-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Miguel Cabrera is one home run shy of the historic triple crown, and possibly the MVP he's been screwed out of two out of the past three years.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Houston? We have a problem... :sad: :cry: :(

JimJamBonds
09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Houston? We have a problem... :sad: :cry: :(
If Milwaukee couldn't make it I wanted P'burg, sorry dude.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, if they go 5-2 (not impossible, especially with the last six at home), they'll get the "magical" 81-81 record. One more with at the Mets, three each with Cincy and Atlanta (both have playoff spots locked in, just a question of where they'll finish).

Beat NY tomorrow, go 2-1 each the last two; whomp there it it. :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
ATL will face whomever comes away with the second wild card (St. Louis I'm looking in your direction), Cincy will have to keep playing hard to get the #1 seed.

Tycho
09-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Cincinatti will go all the way, I'd predict.

Yesterday the Dodgers slaughtered my Padres. I had to get out of my seat and walk around the stadium.

I just couldn't take it any more.

Heading back to the game today in about 3 hours.

I hope it won't hurt as bad tonight. (We beat the Dodgers Tuesday, so the series is still up for grabs but we should not pitch left-handers against L.A.)

Then I see the 3 final games of our year Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (versus the western champion Giants).

I did not renew season tickets for next year, but I'll be paying for a lot of single games I'm sure. The stadium's very close, tickets (for single games in my section) are $27.50 per game and we have the Yankees coming to San Diego for interleague next year. I've wanted revenge for 1998's World Series ever since 1998.

I know it's not the same teams, but the concept is attractive to me.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, if you're gonna lose, lose to history. Pirates' first time no-hit since Bob Gibson laced 'em up. :( Now they just need to go 5-0 to wrap up this homestand/season. :thumbsup: :Pirate: Arr!

Darth Metalmute
09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Tigers are back in first. Two games up thanks to Chicago being on a 2-9 spell.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
:cry: :Pirate: :cry: :Pirate: :cry: :Pirate: :cry:

Twenty straight years. Twenty losing years in a row. Twenty consecutive years with a record under .500. If it happens next year, too, it will be old enough legally to drink itself in misery. And to top it off, a blown save by a pretty-reliable closer to end with the dreaded 4-3 score. I am sad. :sad:

Tycho
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I saw our last home game yesterday (San Diego Padres).

The Giants started up 2-0.

Chase Headley hit a 2-run homer, and Jesus Guzman followed (immediately afterward!) with a single run homer.

Padres up 3-2.

Then Edison Volquez tires. Our weak bullpen (remember 2010 when "the Penitentiary" led by Heath Bell and Master Yoda was the best in MLB???)

So our weak rookiees get out there.

Giants up 5 -3. (F-Pablo Sandoval and all the Panda Bears crashing the party at my stadium. Pandas are not cute little animals to baseball fans.)

Then the Padres catch up again. Thank you Logan Forsythe (2nd base - first full season). It's 5-5 and it looks like we're heading into extra innings.

Closer Huston Street is called out to manage a hold situation. He gets 2 outs with nobody on base.

Then 2 homeruns fly out of the park. Thank you for comforting the enemy, Huston. Really?

I had breakfast with the team and hung out with our catcher John Baker (haven't uploaded the pictures yet). Went to a pre-game party with free drinks hosted by the President of our team who's become a personal friend of mine over the past 4 years, which is why I feel kind of "in" with the Padres. I met 4 really cool fan girls, 2 of which were super-hot, and me and my Dodger buddy (yeah I have friends from other teams - even that one) hung out and partied with the girls. And our season ticket section had a great end-of-year party.

But what I remember most is Huston giving up those runs and my team leaving our home park on a loss. :( :( :(

We finish away in Milwaukee, but the Brewers are on a hot streak and it doesn't look good.

I have to forgive Huston Street though. At a special event at the start of this season, he coached me pitching in their bullpen and I got a nice video of it and he didn't even really know me (our players of a few years like catcher Nick Hundley and Chase Headley know me by face and name - but this was Huston's first real day with everyone in the park and he was really cool to play pitching coach to me in the pen - because Nick has traditionally been calling out to me over there when he prepares to warm up our starters before games).

Overall, I have to say that the San Diego Padres and their willingness to interact with fans and do stuff in their community goes far beyond what I've ever head of for any major league team.

Nick and his wife pay for bus loads of kids to get all their school supplies each fall at my Target I toy hunt at. He's over there when I am looking for Star Wars and Transformers and he asks if I find anything (I beat everyone into my store).

So for that kind of experience, where you get to know premier players like Chase Headley (he is very good friends with David Eckstein, by ball-player kidney transplant buddy and husband of Clone Wars Ashley Eckstein), I will always stick with my Padres.

I really wish for 2013 to go the way 2010 did, when the Padres were No.1! Only thing is, we can't let San Francisco, nor L.A. or Arizona take it from us. And I'm serious about respecting the Rockies. I forsee their ascension happening one day.

Meanwhile, my Padres, in a complete reversal of 2010, need pitching! You can't hit 'em out of Petco Park that easily.

But our rising bats have been debating that!

DarthQuack
10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry about your Pirates Bel :( I was pulling for them!

Crazy to think there's still a lot to be settled on the final day of the regular season. Yankees had a great walkoff win last night that will hopefully propel them to home field advantage throughout the playoffs until the World Series...The A's are on a tear, want to avoid them at all costs...reminds me of the Moneyball team.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Here are my "picks," by my heart and then my mind:

WHAT I WANT
NL West (LA)
NL Central (Pitt)
NL East (Wash)
NL WC (Cincy over 'Zona)

AL West (Anaheim, yes, ANAHEIM)
AL Central (Det)
AL East (TB)
AL WC (Tex over NYY)

NLCS (Pitt over LA)

ALCS (Anaheim over Tex)

WS (Pitt over Anaheim, with Bel-Cam Jos in attendance for the clinching game :pleased: )

WHAT I THINK'LL OCCUR:
NL West (LA)
NL Central (Cincy)
NL East (Wash)
NL WC (Pitt over SF)

AL West (Texas)
AL Central (CWS)
AL East (NYY)
AL WC (Anaheim over Det)

NLCS (Cincy over Wash)

ALCS (Tex over NYY)

WS (Cincy over Tex)Well, we know one scenario can't happen. :cry: But I picked 3 of the 5 NL and 3 of the AL playoff teams in the WHAT I THINK'LL OCCUR list (LISTS... :drool: ), and I could have the Championship Series right. I think I'd pull for Walter, er Davey, Johnson's Washington Senators.

Tycho
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
OK, I'm off on a few good ones here.

My original picks:

NL

West- Dodgers
Cen- Reds
East- Nationals
WC1 - Giants
WC2 - Braves

NLC: Reds

The Giants alone represent the West and the Cardinals squeaked in to a Wild Card spot in the Central. I was right about the Braves.

AL

West - Angels
Cen - Tigers
East - Orioles
WC1 - Rangers
WC2 - Yankees

ALC: Angels

I'm not sure who the ALC will be. I think Oakland is on a terror and they will fight hard for it. The Orioles and Tigers are also going to battle hard. Seriously, everyone will pound on New York. We are all sick of them!

If I have to pick, I'm going to go with Oakland. I'm very surprised and they probably know what an opportunity they have. Plus I'll root for my west coast since I have no other emotional connections to any of the AL teams.

If the Rangers get there, I'll hope the best for them since Ron Washington has led them to the WS twice and they just can't win. Maybe if they do finally win, they'll just go away.

Interestingly, there are some of the best ex-Padres on the Reds and Rangers: Mat Latos, Ryan Ludwick, and Mike Adams, respectively (along with Torrealba who I am forever mad at for not bunting in 2010 and getting us a chance against the Giants in that final game where we lost a division by 1 (one) [ONE] $#@$ng game!)

Note: if you look around the league at the leaders this year, they are separated by at least 3 or more games from the next closest team in their division. 1 (one) [ONE] $#@ng game is not fair! [Padres fans don't have much else to talk about besides Chase Headley except for 2010]

It's the Oakland A's. I never saw that coming - back when I made my predictions anyway. It's been more than a month since I saw my Angels weren't going anywhere this year, even with Mike Trout, Trumbo, Pujols, Weaver, Wilson, et.

Funny how teams that spent money like Miami did, wind up at the bottom. At least the Angels didn't finish as bad as Seattle.

I think the White Sox showed up more respectably than I would have predicted, but they're not on the chart.

Anyway, at this point, I'll remain with:

WS: Reds

But it's still very early out. I'll be interested to see if I got it right.

Tycho
10-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Well, my pick updates:

Orioles and Yankees = Orioles

Tigers and A's = A's

These are the "feel good choices for the underdogs" whereas if baseball is scripted, this is the AL's story.

Out of this might come the Orioles. They've been commanding it longer than the A's and they might be just a little bit better going for it. It'd be nice to see either team make it, but these guys are no match for the National League.

In the meanwhile, I have several friends on this board who are Tigers fans and I have no ill wishes for them. I'd be quite happy for any of the AL teams except New York.

Cards and Naitonals = Nationals

Giants and Reds = Reds

Out of this come the Reds - going all the way. I still think Cincinatti will capture the World Series ring. We'll see if I need to re-evaluate. But some of my ex-Padres like Latos and Ludwick play for Cincinatti, and Hairston is over there, too. I'd like to see them get this.

Anyway, here's a pick of me and our catcher John Baker at the Padres' bullpen on the very last day of this season.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2012, 09:32 AM
If people didn't understand the infield-fly rule before...

BEL-CAM'S TOP 10 BASEBALL RULES OFTEN MISUNDERSTOOD:
10. turning left after running to 1st
9. passed ball/wild pitch
8. baserunner hit by ball & out
7. running outside/inside the baselines
6. appeal throw to a base
5. "in the area" double play throw to 1st by 2nd baseman
4. infield fly rule
3. ground rule double/automatic double
2. catcher's interference
1. balk

JimJamBonds
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
That's a pretty good list there BCJ, I don't think I'd argue with any of them. Although I'd like to add one if you don't mind...

11) Why is the DH a good thing? :nightmare:

TeeEye7
10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
11) Why is the DH a good thing? :nightmare:

It ain't a good thing....

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Only thing "good" about it is how it allowed fielding-feeble players to show their hitting prowess longer, as well as Social Security-eligible pitchers to notch some more wins. Today, though, there are few "feared" DHs or regulars at that spot. :timetogoDH:

Tycho
10-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Bel-Cam, please explain:

I played 2nd base all my life and I want to hear someone try and explain this one.

And this one:

And this one:

1. balk

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Bel-Cam, please explain:

I played 2nd base all my life and I want to hear someone try and explain this one.

And this one:

And this one:

1. balk 5. If a ground ball is hit near the shortstop and he tosses/throws it to the second baseman, the second baseman is supposed to touch 2nd BEFORE (or at the same time) throwing to 1st to complete a double play. However, many second basemen "ghost touch" the bag and throw without touching it at all, or before they have possession of the ball. Umps often call the runner from 1st to 2nd out anyway.

2. No idea. Catchers get hit all the time by bats, but sometimes the ump sends the runner to 1st, sometimes not.

1. Again, no idea. I put the "throw to 3rd, then to 1st" pickoff attempt here. :confused:

And, how long has the 2-3 "wild card round" home/away scheduling been in place? Wasn't it 2-2-1? Reds and Tigers have an easy road now.

Tycho
10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
The wild card business was changed as of only this year.

The ghost touch is allowed in my Nintendo MLB video game.

I was taught by every coach I've ever had to touch 2nd and make it legit in a double-play. That's part of the competition.

Since I've honestly ALWAYS done it that way, I don't like the ghost touch even if it does make things easier. That's not how I was taught and I don't feel like it's "honest baseball."

I don't know how others feel, but I'm interested in this because that's my position and I think I do it "the right way."

I'm personally friends with David Eckstein and I am of the understanding that we both agree and (as a shortstop) he was a World Series MVP.

I'm actually going to e-mail about this. You could say I have a strong interest in what happens and how the calls are made around 2nd base.

The difference between being a fan and actually playing is that when I'm on the field I feel I can actually make a difference. Me screaming "bunt" or calling other plays from my season seats (in the OUTFIELD mind you) is not very effective. (The only time I'll probably admit that. Damn I wish I had the Padres' dugout phone number! I do NOT agree with all of Buddy Black's calls!)

As to the catcher thing - yeah it seems really arbitrary. I have played catcher only twice in my lifetime, due to necessity when I was on a strong prescription does of Prednisone for my kidney transplant and couldn't move fast like a middle-infielder and my team still wanted my bat in the starting line-up. I actually made 2 outs (1 assist) at the position but I do not like playing near where the anyone is swinging a bat that close (I like my head attached at its current location, thank you).

The balk confuses me, too. When it's the other team - call it as often as you think you have a chance to advance your runners. When it's your team - you never saw anything happen! ;)

JimJamBonds
10-08-2012, 04:51 PM
It ain't a good thing....I agree, it needs to go.

Darth Metalmute
10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I would rather watch a professional hitter than a pitcher bat anytime. That being said, it needs to be one way or another, not both ways.

The 2-3 format is new for this year only and it's only because MLB pushed the second wild card in so quickly and so late that they did't have scheduling for the extra travel days.

Lord Malakite
10-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Cincinatti will go all the way, I'd predict.
And you would be wrong. Cincinnati imploded... HARD. Well, we at least made a historic first in MLB history. So we have that. :rolleyes:

Darth Metalmute
10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Here's hoping Verlander brings his A game, since Valverde didn't last night...

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2012, 09:59 AM
So, the teams that had it "in the bag" early on, almost all of 'em lost their series. The city of Baltimore should declare war on New York for robbery (I wonder if that kid from '96 in right field was invited back last night). And who needs future HOF Pujols, anyway?

St. Louiee and San Fran., DEEtroit and New Yaak. I am now glad I have play rehearsals through mid-November, as I have no real rooting interest now at all. Go... Tigers?

Darth Metalmute
10-14-2012, 12:22 AM
I hope I never see Valverde pitch again...

Tough break for the Yankees. Literally. Derek Jeter is one of the greatest players I have ever seen and now he's out for the playoffs.

JimJamBonds
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I "guess" go Giants and go Tigers. #bestoptionsleft

Darth Metalmute
10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
And the Tigers are back in the World Series!

JimJamBonds
10-19-2012, 07:47 PM
And the Tigers are back in the World Series!

And they'll probably play the stupid Cardinals... #stupidCardinals

Darth Metalmute
10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
If the Cardinals win tonight, the Tigers won't have to wait 5 days for the World Series to start like they did in 2006... Wait, you say they still will? Great job MLB... Great Job.

JimJamBonds
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
If the Cardinals win tonight, the Tigers won't have to wait 5 days for the World Series to start like they did in 2006... Wait, you say they still will? Great job MLB... Great Job. Yeah I didn't understand that one either. I'd rather have SF win but at least they force a game 6 so this way St. Louis can't set up their pitching the way they want to.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Let's see; Cincy goes up 2-0 on SF and loses the series. St. Looey is winning 3-1 over Frisco and goes down in seven. So... if trends continue... congrats Tigers?

Darth Metalmute
10-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Let's see; Cincy goes up 2-0 on SF and loses the series. St. Looey is winning 3-1 over Frisco and goes down in seven. So... if trends continue... congrats Tigers?

I hope your right, but I think that time off took a toll on Detroit. Maybe next year they will learn not to sweep the ALCS.

JimJamBonds
10-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Looks like SF will win it easy imho.

Tycho
11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I started the 2013 season thread: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/46497-Major-League-Baseball-2013?p=765256#post765256

And this is the 2012 post-season awards news.

I'm proud of Chase Headley. But we had a drug suspension with Grandal. Not good. On the bright side, some of your guys might be nominated for MLB awards!

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121107&content_id=40192890&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb