PDA

View Full Version : I Got The Republic Clone Troopers' Walking Cannon

Tycho
10-31-2011, 05:12 PM
I Got The Republic Clone Troopers' Walking Cannon.

It's from the Clone Wars movie that was in theaters (when Anakin first meets Ahsoka).

It's one per case with Jedi Starfighter, Vulture Droid, and Cad Bane's repainted Magna Fighter. So with the old stuff still in the assortment, expect this cannon to be rare for about 6 months unless Christmas sales of the rest of the fighter assortment does really well.

I got the cannon at TRU, but it's close to $30 out the door there.

It's cool and there's no problem with it - except it's not worth $30. This belonged at the $19.99 pricepoint of a few years ago -not even $24.

It has legs that are poseable - but not at the knees though they look jointed. They're not.

The legs close though, and there are tank treads (molded) underneath that can drop down. The cannon actually rolls on hidden wheels though. Not the treads.

There's a platform with a blast shield for an extra Clone (besides the gunner's chair) and it also holds 3 extra missiles, besides one in the chamber.

There's full rotation and elevation for the cannon.

This toy fights the large Octoparra Droid and Whorm Loathsome in the Corporate Alliance Tank Droids plus the Retail Droids from that battlepack. The Republic Attack Shuttle goes in that scene as well. I'm going to add a Republic Fighter Tank, but that's my EU. The Clones did have AT-RTs but they were quickly destroyed.

JediTricks
11-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Generally, all Class 2 vehicles are 1 per case these days, so that's no surprise. The Mandalorian Transport next wave will also be 1 per case, as is every other vehicle in those waves.

Not surprised this thing isn't coming across as not worth the value, it's a pretty rough sell at the new $25 pricepoint being a rather simple design - just a cannon, seat(s), and 4 legs. I did like that they put in the treads, but it wasn't enough to sell me on it.

Tycho
11-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think (not sure though) I'm going to buy the Mandalorian transport.

There's an Incredible Cross-Sections book or something out now for The Clone Wars and the Mandalorians and Death Watch are shown to have way cooler 1 or 2 man fighter craft.

It's a trade-off. The transport is seen more in the show I guess, and it seats like 6 figures I think. Whoa! Right? But we're getting that before a fighter???

If I buy this, it will be displayed empty unless you can see in any windows (missing places where figures should be seated) and I'll use it for Coruscant air traffic in either a CW scene, or a PT movie scene. Again, IF I buy this.

I want Hondo Ohnaka's flying saucer fighter, Rapier-One. (the small one-man one, if that's Rapier One and not the giant saucer mother ship.)

As to cannon toys, it should remind you what we're in for if we ask for:

The Invisible Hand Battle Droid Cannon accessory (ROTS)

or

The Death Star Turbo-Laser Tower Cannon (ANH)

I believe the Hoth Ion Cannon from Echo Base is actually much, much, larger than this price-point allows (and we got the turret set).

Now I think I would buy these - grumbling about the price-point, or they should make a "cannon assortment" come out at a lower pricepoint. Thing is, I think it helps sales to move them in the small fighter assortment - plus tanks and fighters engage these cannons.

Also, like they re-issued the smaller TIE Fighter in vintage packaging (I think it was the smaller TIE), the X-wing (smaller stripped-down version), A-wing, TIE Intercepter could all be offered in these assortments, and the Cloud Car could come out again as none are sitting anywhere.

Are the Jedi starfighters due for a rest already?

Same with the Vulture Droid Fighters until TPM is back out.

If they want to do prequel fighters, and I think they are doing this, the Droid Tri-Fighters and the ROTS Jedi fighters could be offered now.

Also, on Utopau, they employed another type of starfighter besides the Magna Droid starfighters. This could be a new vehicle offered. Same with the Coruscant Jedi Airspeeder (ROTS).

Finally, a last prequel "cannon assortment" toy could be the Battle Droids' "snail quadlaser cannons" that were on The Revenue (TPM final space battle). I think they are pretty big and I don't know if Battle Droids sit in them or they are computer controlled. But Hasbro can "EU them" if they make them pretty cool. Maybe seat 2 Battle Droids in them if they are bigger? (Navigator and Gunner).

JediTricks
11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
The Transport does seat 6, has variable angle wings, and firing missiles. Plus, it's shaped a bit like Grievous' head. :p

I think it was Lucasfilm's idea to do the Transport before any fighters.

The mobility on this cannon seems to be its sole selling point over those other cannons, it truly is a vehicle compared to them.

Tycho
11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
The Transport does seat 6, has variable angle wings, and firing missiles. Plus, it's shaped a bit like Grievous' head. :p

LOL. I didn't think about that.

I think it was Lucasfilm's idea to do the Transport before any fighters.

Really? Interesting.

But yes - sell the less popular item first - when it is the only item, so that it will sell.

This fits the theory on why the first Big-Slave-One we got was Jango's instead of Boba's. To sell the costly tooling ASAP to those who wouldn't wait for the other, inevitable cost-settling-profit-increasing paint job that's due later. People who would buy an ESB paint scheme might far outnumber AOTC fans and thus not buy the ship a second time.

The mobility on this cannon seems to be its sole selling point over those other cannons, it truly is a vehicle compared to them.

Very true. I didn't think about that either. It is "a vehicle." (on a technicality)

In any event, I'm very glad I bought this, but would have been happier to pay less for it.

Snowtrooper
11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I bought this off of amazon about a month ago. I haven't opened it up yet, so I can't really comment a whole lot about it. I got it for $25 plus free shipping, so it was a decent deal.

JediTricks
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Really? Interesting.

But yes - sell the less popular item first - when it is the only item, so that it will sell.

This fits the theory on why the first Big-Slave-One we got was Jango's instead of Boba's. To sell the costly tooling ASAP to those who wouldn't wait for the other, inevitable cost-settling-profit-increasing paint job that's due later. People who would buy an ESB paint scheme might far outnumber AOTC fans and thus not buy the ship a second time.Well, I don't think that's what they're thinking at all. The Slave I situation was merely tapping into the MOST popular media for it at the time, the Clone Wars episodes it was in had just aired, and CW is where the casual consumer market is coming from most right now. The prequels also were more recent than ESB, and OT collectors seem to be dwindling in interest. So I think it was the standard model of more popular first, less popular later.

As for the Mando Transport, they've released a LOT of Mando figures from that arc lately (not even that recently anymore), so it makes some sense to tap into that play pattern, especially at the lower pricepoint which has been suffering a lack of multi-figure cross-play potential.