PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Wave 1 - The Phantom Menace

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-10-2011, 05:26 PM
The figures have been revealed for a while now, but Sandtroopers (http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20111110_vintage/) has carded images of all 12. I'm still not a fan of the logo, but the cards look nice otherwise.

It almost looks like Qui-Gon has a flared blade. The non-light-up Movie Heroes and Discover the Force versions don't have flares, so it could just be the photo, but it's possible.

I have no idea what the phallic accessory is that Darth Sidious has; it doesn't look like his lightsaber.

The Naboo Royal Guard shouldn't have the Character Debut sticker, though the last one was the specific bearded soldier, so maybe they're counting the shaven one as a different character?

It's interesting that they chose the TPM image of Quinlan Vos for the card art, basically confirming that the background extra was indeed him. I hadn't actually seen that close of an image of him before, or maybe I'm forgetting it.

Looks like Maul comes with a complete unlit saber, and two lit halves. As with Qui-Gon, it looks like the blades are flared. I'm glad they're not just reissuing the Evolution Maul here.

By and large, the figures look great. I'll be getting Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul to keep carded. Maybe Ben Quadinaros too, if the mood hits me. :p

El Chuxter
11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Crikey, that "Character DEbut!!!!11!!!!" sticker is just plain old ugly.

Blue2th
11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Now I see why we get the cheapo version of the Battledroid in the Movie Heroes line. That's gonna be expensive to army build this one.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Now I see why we get the cheapo version of the Battledroid in the Movie Heroes line. That's gonna be expensive to army build this one.

I would wager that the new BD will be in the movie heroes line within 2 years. It's just a matter of being able to wait that long....

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Crikey, that "Character DEbut!!!!11!!!!" sticker is just plain old ugly.And I don't think the Naboo Royal Guard is a "character debut." See the hard-to-find final wave of E1 figures.

DarkJedi5
11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Sandtroopers (http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20111111/vintage_lse/index.html) now have the loose photos up... looks like Sideous' prop is in fact his saber hilt, Qui-gon does not have a flared saber while Maul does. There also seem to be some soft goods nightmares as Sideous' robe seems to be out of control while Maul's is so frayed it looks like he's wearing fringe. On a side note, the Padme and Jar Jar in the movie heroes line look like winners (both are SA as far as I can tell) and probably should be in this wave but just got bumped.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Thankfully, Bantha Skull (http://banthaskull.com/index.php/expand/star_wars_qa_round_7_2011_answers/) got confirmation that Jar Jar is still coming on a Vintage card later in 2012. Maybe the fanboy furor over it is what will cause the apocalypse. :p I'm so glad he wasn't just bumped into Movie Heroes after all; that's definitely one I want carded.

And yeah, the Character Debut sticker isn't the greatest thing ever, but at least they're differentiating that at this point, since I know a lot of people have issues keeping track at this point.

Beast
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the news about the Vintage Jar Jar. Hopefully he won't be impossible to find. As I want two.

Battle Droid
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I hope they just don't repack the Movie Heroes one for the Vintage Line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Someone in the Yakface forums (http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=6713) got the new TVC Darth Maul and posted several pictures of it. The horns are really fat, and the communicator is sculpted to his wrist instead of a separate piece, but other than that it looks pretty stellar. No flared blade, but I'll gladly take the ball-jointed hips over that, honestly.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Honestly, I think that the Maul is a pretty good sculpt. While the horns are a bit large, I don't find them to be offensively large.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Apparently people are finding this (http://rebelscum.com/story/front/The_Phantom_Menace_Wave_Hits_Retail_142420.asp) in the southwest (and the Movie Heroes have been found in Mexico). Welp, so much for the street date! I assume that this is similar to other hard street dates, where some stores will put them out early while most will not, but we'll see.

The packaging includes a sticker that says you can win a life-sized Darth Maul signed by George Lucas. I wonder if it's those old 1999 statues - though those were made by Pepsi, I think.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Today, I saw and passed on these at Target: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Orphan Annie, Maul, Naboo Soldier, Ben Quad, Rats and Quinlan (I thought about these two for a while, though), Black Queen, Batt. Droid; because of cost (read: not on sale). But the guy next to me snagged most of them after my decision to pass. I do like the "retro" card back look (with the solid color boxes and posed figures out of packaging).

El Chuxter
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I thought Target had a flat %-off sale on all SW merchandise this week...? Plus, you take your bag and get a nickel off (provided they remember to credit you for it, which is hit and miss). And I don't normally do the store card thing, but getting a flat 5% off with the RedCard made that worthwhile.

bigbarada
12-18-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm glad these are showing up now when holiday shopping will start thinning out their numbers. I just want these Ep1 waves to come and go as quickly as possible to make room for the next waves. I have no real interest in buying any of them.

Tycho
12-18-2011, 03:08 AM
I'm having trouble waking up on time to get to Target by 7:45 or so to snag them.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I thought Target had a flat %-off sale on all SW merchandise this week...? Plus, you take your bag and get a nickel off (provided they remember to credit you for it, which is hit and miss). And I don't normally do the store card thing, but getting a flat 5% off with the RedCard made that worthwhile.The other SW toys seemed to have such a sale, but the Vintage figs didn't scan as such. Typical: hatred towards those who came before you as not "with it" or "hip" or "the top vodka of 2033."

I get the your-bag $.05 discount when there's a new moon on Monday where people are washing their Datsuns and Buicks on their lunchbreaks, not the walls instead, and the cashier thinks I'm the enemy. Which means, about every other time.

El Chuxter
12-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Weird. I got the African-Bespin Endor Trooper earlier last week, and he was on sale.

Tycho
12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I was the first one in the Target toy isle today (I think) and nothing.

Sunday might not be their big stocking day - but I might try back later. They hardly have ANY vintage figs. Like 6 maybe.

Transformers are full of Bumblebees. Kids will not be playing Autobots vs. Decepticons this Christmas, but "Camaro Dealership" instead.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Eh, I wouldn't really worry about finding these yet. If I find them soon, great. If not, they'll be everywhere on January 30.

Tycho
12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Right.

Except that stores tend to not order or stock right after Christmas, so you worry anyway.

On top of that, it's still fun getting new things.

El Chuxter
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Except that stores tend to not order or stock right after Christmas, so you worry anyway.
Really? I tend to have some of my greatest toy finds between 12/15 and 1/15, as the stuff that ships for last-minute Christmas shoppers makes it way out to replace the older stuff that's finally sold.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Really? I tend to have some of my greatest toy finds between 12/15 and 1/15, as the stuff that ships for last-minute Christmas shoppers makes it way out to replace the older stuff that's finally sold.
I agree. I tend to find a good amount new stuff the week before Christmas since everything is moving along nicely thanks to the Christmas shoppers joining the collectors, kids, and fans who usually get this stuff.

For the Episode I stuff, I'm not worried in the least due to the hard street date, which the stores obviously know about since they all have exclusives coming out that day (TRU even has a TPM-style $10 gift card that you can use starting January 30 when you buy $40 of SW stuff this week).

And of course you can still go look for them. I'm just saying, for me, there are still a few things I need to look out for before I switch gears to the 2012 stuff, and I'd like to get them before the chance is gone.

Tycho
12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I wish I could get just one lousy Asajj Ventress figure from the (old) new Clone Wars assortment, as I need another of her figures to fight Dooku while Anakin and Obi-Wan fight Savage Opress.

This 5 figure scene would look seriously cool. But since I have a few figures of her already, I'm not going to spend more than about $16 total to get her and eBay has moved her to like $30! :mad:

El Chuxter
12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Speaking of which, I went to Target for a last-minute gift and left with five TPM figures.

Tycho
12-18-2011, 09:51 PM
The last time I was out near the desert, they had lots of Embo figures. Are they still around?

Could you pick up one for me? Ventress too of course, if you ever see her.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Speaking of which, I went to Target for a last-minute gift and left with five TPM figures.
Which ones? Do tell, do tell!

Tycho, I'll keep an eye out for a Ventress for you. But remember that the figure that's available isn't accurate to those episodes - she starts the Nightsisters arc by wearing an outfit based on her original comics/microseries/concept art appearance (for the first time in this show) and then wears her Nightsisters getup the rest of the time, with or without the hood. I have seen Embo a lot lately, as he's still shipping.

El Chuxter
12-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I found Amidala, Daultay Dofine, and both Podracers. (I said five earlier, but I "misspoke.") I left two Battle Droids; it's just really tough for me to get excited about Battle Droids anymore, especially at the new price.

I'll look up who the heck this "Embo" feller is and watch for him, too. But only if you look for three Joes called Crazylegs, Rock Viper, and Shadow Tracker. :) (I don't expect you to ever see them; they're from the last wave of the old line, several months back.)

Tycho
12-19-2011, 01:59 AM
thanks jabba john. i'll pay you back for embo and shipping

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Tycho, I got an Embo for you today. You'll have a PM shortly.

In news more relevant to this thread, I found the wave at Target, especially since I wasn't actively looking for it yet. :p I got all 12, and another Darth Maul to keep carded (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan will stay that way, unless I find that they're way different). Another case had hit as well, with a few figures missing (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Ben Quadinaros, at least - an odd selection). I won't officially get them until Christmas, but it's good to know I have them.

figrin bran
12-20-2011, 12:34 AM
I found a remnant of this wave and it was Darth Maul, interestingly enough. Aside from the bracelet being sculpted onto his left hand, it's an outstanding figure.

Tycho
12-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks JabbaJohn. I'll check my PM.

seclorus
01-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Just got back from a Wal-Mart in Vegas and they had a box of these guys on the shelf. I also saw a few boxes of the figures and the vehicles sitting on a cart ready to put out. The boxes all say 'not till Jan 30th', but with the new ruling sent down, it's open season. Looks like it will be hitting hard with all of the boxes they had stacked up, hope they sell well. I passed, $7.98 for these guys seems a bit steep.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
The steep price has been my decision maker lately, too. But here, they start around $8.99 or higher, so a being buck less would look better to me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
This thread doesn't belong in the Movie Heroes section - this wave is still part of the Vintage Collection, and should be moved back to that section.

seclorus
01-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Just got back from a Wal-Mart in Vegas and they had a box of these guys on the shelf. I also saw a few boxes of the figures and the vehicles sitting on a cart ready to put out. The boxes all say 'not till Jan 30th', but with the new ruling sent down, it's open season. Looks like it will be hitting hard with all of the boxes they had stacked up, hope they sell well. I passed, $7.98 for these guys seems a bit steep.

I meant the Heroes line, not the new vintage line. I was at a couple other Wallys today and they had nothing, but the one had a box of figs out and many others waiting.

JEDIpartner
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I ordered the first wave from an e-tailer since my luck at finding waves at retail is pretty horrible. While I didn't really need/want the repacked Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, the rest of this wave looks pretty good.

Snowtrooper
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
ToysRUs.com has TPM wave up for sale(minus Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan). Its listed as in stock. They are $9.99, which sucks, but if you order over $75, the shipping is free. They also had some other TPM items for pre-order as well. I ordered one of each, just in case I can't find them at retail.

Tycho
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks Snowtrooper.

I just ordered all I plan on needing and unless there are Transformers shipping, or the Mandalorian transport, I can stay home and not go chasing figures every morning.

I don't want Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan as I'm buying for my dioramas.

I ordered:

2 Queens
3 Qudrinaros
2 Dofines
5 Naboo Guards (the max they allow - which I will distribute amongst the bunch of Naboo guards I already have so they won't look like clones).

I think that was all I needed.

JEDIpartner
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
ToysRUs.com has TPM wave up for sale(minus Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan). Its listed as in stock. They are $9.99, which sucks, but if you order over $75, the shipping is free. They also had some other TPM items for pre-order as well. I ordered one of each, just in case I can't find them at retail.

The selection they have is also missing Ratts Tyerell and Pit Droid.

Snowtrooper
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
The selection they have is also missing Ratts Tyerell and Pit Droid.

Yeah, I forgot that he was in the wave as well.

JEDIpartner
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I forgot that he was in the wave as well.

I considered getting those from TRU, but decided against it since I do really want him and it's unlikely that I will find him in the wild as cases are not pack one-per...

Dark Marble
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey,

Could someone tell me if the battle droid in this wave is new or a repaint???

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey,

Could someone tell me if the battle droid in this wave is new or a repaint???
It's a completely new sculpt. It folds up in a similar way to the figure from the Geonosis Arena Showdown sets and most recent Saga Legends release, but it's shorter, more accurate, and doesn't have quite the same range of motion from its ball joints. The only negative is that it wasn't designed to hold the blaster with two hands; it can kind of be fudged, but it's not great in that regard. Otherwise, it's a great figure.

Dark Marble
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Shoot! So the only figure to skip might be Qui Gon and Obi in this wave huh??? My wife just got me most of the wave but I told her to pass on the battle droid and the two jedi. Oh well it is still early.

El Chuxter
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I saw the Anakin and was rather unimpressed. I don't like painted heads. Sidious also looked a little funny, with the full-on McDiarmid head.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Shoot! So the only figure to skip might be Qui Gon and Obi in this wave huh??? My wife just got me most of the wave but I told her to pass on the battle droid and the two jedi. Oh well it is still early.
Yup, if you're just looking for newness then Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are the ones to skip. (I still got them to keep on the cards.) The Walmart on 104th and Grant got in multiples of this wave, including several battle droids, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding them.

I saw the Anakin and was rather unimpressed. I don't like painted heads. Sidious also looked a little funny, with the full-on McDiarmid head.
Anakin's head isn't painted, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

And I asked on the news article where you commented, but what's wrong with Sidious' head looking like that?

El Chuxter
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Hmm. The one I saw looked painted, but it could've been overspill from the hair that looked crappy, I guess.

Tycho
01-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Yes. I ordered multiples of the ones I needed, but I too don't think I got Ratts Tyrell.

Toys R Us wasn't offering him before.

Grumble. I have other things to do besides hunt in the mornings. And I want 3 Ratts for dioramas. He's one-per-case as it's a full 12 figure case assortment, with one of each I think.

That's probably good but will make army building the Naboo Guards difficult for everyone. That's why I jumped on 5 in my order.

Meanwhile, though carded collectors will want the Jedi and Maul, most of us loose-collectors are SICK of them! There are so many of these characters available.

Hopefully, Ratts will go up online.

DarkJedi5
01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
So, I recently saw some loose and carded pics of this wave around the internet and what I really want to know is… WHY DID THEY PUT THAT AWFUL RAINBOW STRIPE ON THE NABOO TROOPER'S HEAD?!?!?! He looked like a great figure and one I was really excited about but those three stripes on his helmet look absolutely terrible. I know the effect they are trying to replicate (as cheeply as possible it would seem) but surely, straight silver would have been better, no? Not sure if I want to army build this guy anymore.

Snowtrooper
01-13-2012, 10:04 AM
HTS has the wave up now, including Ratts Tyrell, for $114.99. It comes out to $9.58 per figure. Thats not figuring tax and shipping into it. No individual figures though. I thought they might start selling singles once this wave started coming out, but it looks like thats not going to change.

JEDIpartner
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I ran across the remnants of the The Phantom Menace figures at the Steelyard Commons Walmart* and got "bodybuilder" Savage Opress and a Battle Droid. They had Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin and Queen Amidala there as well. I wasn't about to pick up the partial wave since I have the entire wave on order.

Tycho
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Has anyone gotten Ratts Tyrell as a single figure?

El Chuxter
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I found him at Target (Redlands, IIRC) last year. Okay, a few weeks ago, but it was still last year.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I found him (and got him) at a Target in December, and saw a few of him yesterday when I found the wave at Walmart. Is that what you mean, or are you asking about online?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Same thing (almost) here. I've seen him twice (once last year in early Dec., once this year in early Jan.) at different Targets, but unlike others, I passed on him (them? and his little droid too).

Tycho
01-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks. I like the store reports and found them useful.

How about online finds of Ratts Tyrell?

Snowtrooper
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Got my TPM order from ToysRUs today. They showed up in pretty good condition, well enough to keep most of them carded. There are a few that the bubbles are scratched up a bit more than I'd like, so I might make openers out of those. All I have to find now is Ratts Tyrell.

JediTricks
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Checking out RS's photos of the entire wave, it's become apparent that I really don't want much here.
- I am definitely not paying $10 a piece for podracers;
- the Jedi were always a no since I already have them;
- I didn't want another lil' Padawanakin in general, but that head misses the mark in paint and sculpt;
- the Battle Droid's height issue and wonky paint aren't great, and then the final production sample seems less sharp and the rivet joints look cheaper than on the test shot I saw last year, and that unpainted head is a yuck;
- the Darth Sidious figure's hood looks terrible and just ruins it for me, the recycled limbs don't really fit the torso or the character at this state;
- Daulty looks right, but I just don't care for Neimoidian figures anymore, especially at this pricepoint;
- the Naboo Guard I kinda was interested in but the generic head ain't that good and the helmet's screwed up paint ruins the whole figure, and the crotch looks boxy and wide, this figure is the closest to likely that I might buy;
- there was never any chance of me buying that Amidala figure, the facial sculpt is good but the head is again too wide, the eyebrows are still painted wrong as with too many Padme figures, and the outfit is not something I ever gave a crap about;
- Vos is a no, there's nothing interesting there, it's the 3rd figure of the guy and I paid almost the same price for 2 figures in his first comic pack;
- Maul is a maybe, but the hood doesn't fit worth a damn which is downright shameful, the horns don't look good even after Hasbro did such a good job with the Savage Opress horns, the left forearm has the comm as part of the gauntlet, the belt AND skirt are backwards, and I just feel like whoever was in charge of these didn't care enough to deliver on the promise (and insanely high pricepoint) of this brand.

Very disappointing. And moreso that the return of the themed wave brings a theme that offers a collector like myself nothing.

So, I recently saw some loose and carded pics of this wave around the internet and what I really want to know is… WHY DID THEY PUT THAT AWFUL RAINBOW STRIPE ON THE NABOO TROOPER'S HEAD?!?!?! He looked like a great figure and one I was really excited about but those three stripes on his helmet look absolutely terrible. I know the effect they are trying to replicate (as cheeply as possible it would seem) but surely, straight silver would have been better, no? Not sure if I want to army build this guy anymore.Yeah, I just saw that online and my interest in the figure dropped to "tepid". That paint says someone in charge doesn't care.

Tycho
01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Got my TPM order from ToysRUs today. They showed up in pretty good condition, well enough to keep most of them carded. There are a few that the bubbles are scratched up a bit more than I'd like, so I might make openers out of those. All I have to find now is Ratts Tyrell.

Ditto. Though I didn't order the entire wave.

I got

(5) Naboo Royal Guards. They look good. Plain actually. I didn't realize that because the 1999 version was pre-posed, the front of his tunic looked cooler "crinkled" with the motion of his body. The uniform's more flat and boring when the guard's relaxed I guess. [Now they need to make a black man Naboo Security Guard (the yellow and orange police uniform). This is independent of the N-1 pilots they could do.]

(3) Ben Quadrinaros. He's weird. I guess the figure is good. I just always thought he was wierd. I guess that's good. He's a alien, and by contrast, he makes OT aliens like Greedo look almost human. That's CGI versus rubber masks on actors. I'm actually for both. And that's what makes Ben weird. I didn't open him, so I wonder how well his shape will stand as an action figure. That's OK though. I have a lot of clear stands.

(2) Daultay Dofines - this is a good figure for a Niemoidian. Maybe with the inclusion of a battle droid blaster, he might even sell - especially on a vintage style card. I very much like this figure and the robe sculpt is good too. Nute and Rune in Episode III hats could eventually be made this way I suppose - for the ROTS 3-D release I guess. That could be a few years away. Meanwhile, Tey How was likely saved for last (to get an initial figure) because he (or she?) is different enough from other Niemoidians to possibly sell a little better. I liked that Captain of a Trade Federation ship that faced off with Anakin and the Resolute in the Ryloth episodes from the first season of Clone Wars. But he'd be an animated figure and they might want to make a CW Nute figure first, since Nute appeared in more episodes while Padme captured him and Ventress rescued him.

(2) Queen Amidala figures. At long last, her post-senate / Nute Gunray arrest (the first time he's busted by her) completing every TPM Padme figure after 13 years! I was very glad to add her to my little diorama of Nute's arrest and CHANCELLOR Palpatine's arrival on Naboo at the end of TPM (it's just figures on one shelf of a curio cabinet, but I like it and that's what matters). She's good, if a bit too elder-looking since she was a 14 year old Queen. As a Queen in her royal attire, her 2001 POTJ Theed Throne figure is probably the best, along with her 1999 Senate figure. The 2010 Pre-Senate outfit from the Evolutions 3-pack isn't bad either, nor the 2009 Purple Return to Naboo dress. The black post-senate gown doesn't rank higher than any of these, IMO. However it was a needed figure for my TPM displays which, in terms of the Queen, are now complete.

I AM REALLY HAPPY TO HAVE ALL TPM QUEEN FIGURES TO COMPLETE AUTHENTIC DIORAMAS WITH.

Now on to getting all the Episode 2 and 3 Padmes! (*cough* That is MY hobby, JediTricks. Making the displays of all the one-second-on-the-screen-wonders is why I'm here, not to claim the ultimate Darth Vader and Luke Bespin figures).

So everyone please be happy for me. I got one wish fulfilled with this wave. :love:

Snowtrooper
01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I found TPM wave at WM over the weekend, including Ratts Tyerell. I basically got the ones that I wanted as openers except for a Naboo Royal Guard. I cleaned out all the vintage they had except for the two Han Ceremony figures that have been there forever. They had a bunch of the new packaged CW/Legends as well, but those pegs were pretty well full. I don't know if those are going to move very well, especially at almost $9. They also had some of the Battle Packs, but I passed on those.

Old Fossil
01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Found and bought the "vintage" Maul at WM today, the first figure I've bought off the shelf in ages.

It's pretty well done; easily the best version to date, though that is admittedly not saying much. The plastic hood looks good when pressed down firmly, but otherwise is clunky and absurd. I switched the tattered cloak and plastic hood for the cloak that came with my 1999-era Sith Speeder Maul, and it looks much better. The horns actually help hold the hood in place... sort of. Why Hasbro chose to go with the plastic hood and a new cloak, when they had a more serviceable one, is beyond me.

The belt issue is no problem -- it slides around to the correct position fairly easily.

I passed on all the others that were there, singles of each except for Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Sidious, who were absent. This will probably be the last new figure I buy off the shelf for a long while, unless I find a few of the exclusive Tusken figures, which I may get a couple of.

Happy hunting, everyone.

JediTricks
01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I had some expiring TRU rewards coupons and they had the Battle Droid, so I bought him. $10 minus the $6 in coupons, only cost me $4 and change. The BD is not short, they are identified as 6' 3" on Wookieepedia and this figure seems to come up to that height in scale, I'd say. My memory isn't perfect, but I think the test shot I handled at Comic-Con last year had cleaner rivets and different lower legs, with the cuts being a little thinner and a lot longer.

The figure's got a much more accurate sculpt than any previous, Hasbro really did a nice job getting the lines right - they even got the little piston on the underside of the head which Sideshow's recent 12" figure missed. The backpack sculpt still doesn't have the arms that meet at the shoulder, and it's too tall (even moreso than Sideshow's), and the fit isn't great, but the sculpt on the backpack looks quite nice on its own. The other antenna looks nice, the blaster looks nice and I believe it's new (it also fits the hand, which the Sideshow does not). The head sculpt has the eyes not quite right but you can tell they're trying to keep it in check - it does look odd painted in though. The neck is sculpted about 5% too small, that's maybe a millimeter at this scale, but it's noticeable to my eye, especially with the upscaled backpack so close to the head.

The figure has ball-jointed hips and shoulders; hinged elbows, knees, and ankles; a ball-jointed head, and a telescoping neck which can pivot back slightly. The hips and shoulders are fairly limited in range, you have to pop them a little out to even use them, but the joints are welcome even if they are only limitedly successful. The neck is packaged partly telescoped in, you'll want to pull it out as far as you can get it to look good. The forearms and hands are pre-posed, the right hand sculpted to hold the blaster, which it does nicely; the right forearm is sculpted with a 10-degree twist inward; the left forearm has maybe a 2-degree twist which really does nothing for the 2-handed gun-holding pose this figure should have been able to do but cannot (it's the picture on the card!). Overall, the plastic isn't as gummy as some past BDs, but definitely doesn't feel substantial enough to avoid wilting over time. The figure has 2 peg holes, and the ball-jointed hips do just barely allow both to be used on a modern standard stand, but the spread is too extreme to look good IMO, so for now I'm testing the strength on the right foot pegged into the stand and the left just freestanding, I'll report back on this when I see change, I'm hoping the ankle and knee joints will soak up some of the trouble though. Some of the joints feel quite weak individually, but so far I haven't seen signs that the figure is having any problems with that, probably due to the nature of the design being a lightweight figure in general. The thin nature of the arms lends to a little bending, but out of the package they seem to straighten up pretty well, and what I first thought was permanent bend turned out to be the subtle sculpted pose on the forearms.

The figure looks ok folded up, the head hits the backpack and pushes it off when the neck fully telescopes in, the legs look pretty good. But the arms only look so-so with their preposed nature, and the backpack doesn't have its antennae go away or a separate "telescoped-in" backpack (that one could have stowed the gun and they could have used the deployed one to fill in that hole).

Paint on the body is great, they used a mottled silver wash, it's a little dark but it does look nice overall, it scales to the weathering well. Unfortunately, the head and backpack didn't get the wash, they are clean tan plastic and it looks bad - not unusable, but definitely not ideal, and certainly not the perfection the line was intending. The head and backpack have adequate paint aside from the weathering, with black eyes and silver bands and whatnot, but the backpack doesn't sport a unit number of any kind.

I would have liked to have seen a torso joint, an upper-arm swivel, and a lower-arm swivel, but the accuracy they went for might not have allowed such things - that said, alternate arms for a 2-handed poses should have been included. The backpack not being able to stow the gun bums me out, I really think that featured tied the figure together, yet neither Hasbro's new figure nor Sideshow's figure have that feature. Also, there's a little bit of flashing and a wonky sprue-site on the head which I fear is just the limitations of the manufacturing they can get.

Bottom line: this is a nice figure in some ways, the sculpting is much more accurate than previous figures, I like the new gun and the use of additional joints, I like the paint weathering. But in almost each case, there's a caveat: sculpting doesn't quite hit the eyes or neck or backpack, there are some joints that didn't get included but should have been, and the paint is missing on the head and backpack. That said, even if they had hit everything square on, I am still at a loss to see this as a $10-figure, Battle Droids are a tough value, so they really would need those extra arms and that alternate backpack to sell me on army-building these at the TVC pricepoint.

El Chuxter
01-28-2012, 01:22 AM
I, too, used rewards coupons at TRU, along with the BOGO coupon, to get a Battle Droid (and Vos) today. However, I had not read your comments thoroughly before doing so. This is probably the best Battle Droid so far, though it still misses the mark. The inability to hold the gun in two hands is a major flaw, but the lack of any way to connect the gun to the backpack is inexcusable. Unless I'm totally missing something, every previous BD figure with this backpack has been able to do that. This isn't some ridiculous action feature Hasbro concocted in 1999; it's clearly visible in one of the most memorable scenes of Episode I.

I want a perfect Battle Droid already. Although I'm every bit as sick of BD figures as I am of Clonetroopers or Stormtroopers, at least those two have been more or less perfected already. Every new take on the Battle Droid makes some improvements, but also takes a step back in other aspects. I love Battle Droids, and I consider them to be the equivalent of Stormtroopers in the PT even more than the Clonetroopers (who are "good guys" for most of their time onscreen, and look like Stormtroopers with color stripes when they do go bad), and it bums me out that, every time I hope they've nailed it, there's something still lacking.

Sometimes I wonder if Hasbro really does try to keep the latest resculpts of the most often redone figures from being absolutely right so that they have an excuse to take another shot at them in a couple of years and get more money. Because the guys that can so completely nail background characters in one take shouldn't be releasing dozens of versions of major characters that just slightly miss the mark (and almost always in ways that earlier versions got right).

tagmac
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Picked up all by Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and the Battle Droid earlier today. One of my local TRU's had the entire display up. Looked like they only put out two cases of the vintage figs, as there was an extra Battle Droid in addition to the one I left, and one each of the nine I got. This takes the pressure off me on Monday, so I can just worry about the WM exclusives.

JetsAndHeels
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey folks. Long time no post.

Today at Wm I picked up maul, naboo guard, amidala, and the neimodian dude.

Cool figures!!

Tycho
01-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi JetsAndHeels. How have you been, dude?

I've missed you around here. You're a nice guy and our Smallville discussions were kind of fun.

JetsAndHeels
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi JetsAndHeels. How have you been, dude?

I've missed you around here. You're a nice guy and our Smallville discussions were kind of fun.

Hey tycho!! I am doing good. I hope you are.

Yeah I enjoyed our smallville talks. Too bad it's over.
On topic, I didn't know tvc battle Droid could fold up. That's way cool.

JEDIpartner
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
My shipment arrived today, which is great 'cos I haven't seen ANY TPM figures put out on the pegs at any of the stores in my area since i found that partial wave three or four weeks ago.

mtriv73
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
TRU and WM here put everything out on Monday and are pretty picked clean right now. I haven't been to Target, but they had put them out early. I'm glad to see most stuff selling through. Looks like Qui Gon and Obi wan are the stragglers (not surprisingly). I was pleased that TRU hadn't raised their prices beyond 9.99 and WM is still 8.96. TRU also had a case or 2 worth of the wave that had the utapau clone trooper in it (the one with the head that goes green in the package.) Those will probably hold the pegs up for some time.

I got my astromech set from WM.com yesterday and love it. The paint looks fantastic and I think this is the first clean R2-D2 I've gotten in a while. They're all based on the BAD mold so I may buy a second set to make some franken-droids.

tagmac
02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
That's another set I have yet to see. Don't think my WM got the Droids in, as well as the exclusives....hoping I didn't miss out on them this morning. :concern:

JediTricks
03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
TRU had a bogo50%off sale this week, so I caved and bought the Naboo Royal Guard as well as a second Battle Droid (it was the BD or Quinlan Vos, and I just don't need another Vos figure in my collection; oh, they also had Daulty Dofine but no thanks, I don't care how good the figure is, Neimoidian figures are dead to me). The NRG isn't as bad as I thought, the rainbow is still lame AND there's more on the back of the helmet, but the helmet's sculpt looks good, the figure's head under the helmet isn't as blandly generic as helmet-on photos made it seem, the leathery tunic looks good and has a nice paint wash, the sculpt overall is good. The holster doesn't seem to be canon, and doesn't fit the blaster that well, but it's not unwelcome anyway. I like that the neck is short, a lot of figures like this have longer necks both for the ball-jointed head and the helmet's chinstrap, but it's not needed here and the figure looks better for it. The figure's one drawback IMO is that he can't hold his weapon with both hands in front of him the way the original could, it's their signature pose.

I haven't taken the second battle droid out of the package, the paint has a little more silver than the first one I got, but the head and backpack remain unweathered. My first BD is still standing on the stand without wilting, it's been 2 months.

JediTricks
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, today the Battle Droid is leaning back about 10 degrees, and his right leg has wilted a very small amount. However, I think I might have bumped it earlier today or yesterday which knocked it back that 10 degrees, which in turn would have caused wilting since that leg was the only one pegged into the stand. I've pegged both feet into the stand, it's VERY wide which I'm worried will bend both ankles sideways, I will haunch it forward to see if it'll straighten the right leg though.

mu5a5hi
05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Will this 'Pegwarmer Menace' wave ever go away?

JediTricks
05-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Will this 'Pegwarmer Menace' wave ever go away?
Not until the end of the year, I fear. We're going to be seeing these figures shipping in later waves at least through the middle of summer.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Not until the end of the year, I fear. We're going to be seeing these figures shipping in later waves at least through the middle of summer.Cue Lil' Orphan Annie: "Yippeeee!" :sad:

"Is it possible to purchase these new figures affordably?"
"Not for a store buyer."

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 03:23 PM
TRU is doing bogo50% for all Star Wars, and TVC is already 50% off, so I bought 3 more Battle Droids, another Maul, and finally got Darth Sidious (plus some Clone Wars figures).

Sidious is not as bad as I expected him to be. The figure's headsculpt is a tad off from his left side, another victim of Hasbro asymmetry, and also the eyes are "meaner", the lower face narrower, and the hairline too high, so it's got a little Tarkin to the look. The deco is too thick at the eyebrows and not enough gray at the temples, the eyes are too beady. The head essentially doesn't matter though beyond the chin and nose as the rest is well-hidden by the cowl which works fantastically, provided you take the effort to lift the figure's face up higher into it - it's packaged so you can see the whole face, but in practice you can get it so it covers everything above the nose and it looks much keener that way. The cowl integrates the robe clasp though making it a tiny bit too high, but that's a forgivable sin.

The new torso is a bit stubby, it works with the arms and legs but doesn't remind me of Ian McDiarmid's broader and taller build in the movie, yet this is largely hidden under the robes so it doesn't matter in practice. The limbs are recycled but well-sculpted to have decent style and articulation. The hands are new, they're very aged which isn't accurate and they're in odd poses that at first seem too extreme but actually work with holding the lightsaber in the right and 2-finger posing with the left, but more importantly they're designed to interlock for the "hands together" pose that the character is seen most often using in TPM. The cloth robes do make standing upright a little more challenging as they can push the figure ever so slightly, so a stand is recommended, but they're not longer than the feet unlike the recent Imperial Guard figure so a no-stand pose is possible.

The robes are not as unwieldy as they first seemed, although the sleeves don't cooperate well either. They're a nice black cloth, much better than previous attempts: no extreme pattern this time, just using the very fine natural pattern of the cloth, and they're lightweight without looking polyester or shiny or problematic. The sleeves are massive, as they were in the film, and they've been sewn in a few spots to keep them slightly reined in. Although difficult, it is possible to get the figure into having the sleeves together in front of him, and once that's done it's a pretty good imitation of the character in the film - futzing the shoulders and the openings of the sleeves is the real challenge, but makes it all worthwhile.

The figure comes with his saber lit, and his unlit saber hilt that plugs into his belt, both work fine and are well-painted (although the unlit saber is disturbing as its belt plug end is flesh-colored since they used that plastic instead of the clear). The figure doesn't seem quite right wielding a saber merely due to the character's machinations behavior of the film (and the fact that he can't see much with his cloak over his eyes) but if you have fantasies of TPM-era Sidious kicking butt, this figure is as good as it'll get.