PDA

View Full Version : Whatever basketball gets played 2011-12

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
There may or may not be any NBA action this season, but college b-ball is on.

That Carrier Classic game in San Diego looked awesome! (especially the clouds and cityline behind) Both Ohio State and Pitt have easy opening wins. Last weekend, UCLA barely beat a scrappy Div. II Cal. State San Bernardino team (almost, 'Yotes! :D ).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Yay! The NBA rich owners and NBA rich players have now graciously decided to play their sport and charge us to watch!

TeeEye7
11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I understand one of the conditions was that all of the players throughout the league will now wear the same number on their jerseys:

"1%"

JimJamBonds
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Ehh I don't really care, the NBA sucks.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, the Youngstown State Penguins, at 4-2, have an RPI ranking of 205 (out of the 344 schools listed); ahead of Tennessee, Notre Dame, UCLA, Iowa, St. John's. Keep it going!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Buckeyes handle Nebraska (still weird to have them as a conference opponent) on the road, but Pitt has turned to mush everywhere (had a nationally-ranked home win streak snapped this season) and is the only Big East team without a conference win :( ; even the YSU ladies lost. Then, my own school, the Coyotes, lose two AT HOME when they needed to make a run at their league title.

Oh, and something probably happened with the getting-paid teams league. According to the newspaper, a 6-10 Knicks team would be the #8 seed in the East. Nice quality, NBA.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice weekend: Buckeyes, Panthers, and YSU Penguins all win.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Less than a month before March Madness commences with conference tourneys!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Hey! NBA All-Star Game is on today! But so is NASCAR's Daytona 500, and some movie awards thingie. And some professional basketball player won a dunk contest last night.

On the college front; bad weekend. Losses for Pitt (gave up a lead to Louisville), OSU (same, but a late lead lost to the stinkin' Badgers), and YSU (4 point-loss); even my JC school lost in the state playoffs. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Break out your brackets! March Madness has no cure!

The Buckeyes, likely who would've been a #1 seed, lose a tough one to the Spartans and get the 2nd seed. Wait, Pitt didn't even make the NIT? Sad. :( YSU is getting better, but not yet good enough for a post-season tourney.

I'll take a look at the whole bracket and decide which teams WON'T win, then select them in the tournament, just like I have almost every year. :p

DarthQuack
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Go Syracuse!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Perfect bracket!

... after the first two play-in games, that is. :pleased:

Here's my Sweet 16:
Kentucky, New Mexico St., UNLV, Xavier.
Michigan St., Long Beach St., Murray St., Missouri (State? :p ).
Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Ohio St., Texas.
North Carolina, Michigan, Kansas, Georgetown.

Elite 8:
Kentucky, Xavier.
Michigan St., Missouri.
Syracuse, Ohio St.
North Carolina, Kansas.

Final 4:
Kentucky over Missouri.
Kansas over Ohio St.

Kentucky hears "One Shining Moment" instead of Kansas.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, some of that can still happen...

I picked 22 of the 36 1st/2nd round games correctly, with 10 of my Sweet Sixteens (and 75% of the Final Four) still alive.

DarthQuack
03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Loved seeing Dook lose!! And even though Missouri Love Company ;) so does my bracket since I had them winning it all. :P

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
A bad 3rd round (under 50% picked right), but I still have 7 of a potential Elite Eight there (and that includes Xavier).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Pittsburgh makes it to the semi-finals!

Of the CBI tournament. But a win's a win. Pitt takes on Butler; while it's a Pac-12 matchup between the States OR and WA in this tourney's final four teams.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
And they win in OT! :thumbsup: In a different system, the CBI final is a best-of-three format; Pitt plays Wash. St. Monday to open the "series."

Oh, and OSU meets fellow Buckeye State school Cincy in the Sweet 16 today of that "other" tournament. :p

DarthQuack
03-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Let's go Syracuse!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Best Final Four I've "picked," since '94. Got three of 'em right. But now I hope that OSU beats Kansas and defeats either KY school for the title.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
2011-2012 National Champion Pittsburgh Panthers! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Of the CBI tournament.

Darth Metalmute
03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Embarrassing loss by the Buckeyes... How do you lose a 13 point lead?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2012, 09:55 AM
By playing only ONE half of decent basketball. :sad: Can't blame foul trouble for all that; Kansas just made better halftime adjustments (and more shots, too).

Well, my Final Four was 3/4 right (Mizzou; gone early), and my title game is correct. If UK (or is it KU? :rolleyes: ) wins their 8th Nat'l Title, I'll have had my most sucessful bracket ever (but not entered in any contests).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Well, I guess the men's tourney was great. Go, teams that won. :o

For the women's, a 40-0 Baylor squad? That's impressive. :thumbsup: And Griner says she's coming back for her senior year.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey! The Clippers won a playoff series. Let me repeat that: the Los Angeles Clippers NBA basketball franchise had the necessary wins in a best-of-seven playoff series. For reals. It's their second-ever playoff series win in LA, aaaaand they won game 7 on the road. I'd want to see a Staples Center Western Conference Final, with the Clip Joint heading to the Finals (then, they can have tangible proof hanging in the rafters that they actually play in that building). Maybe they can play the Pacers or 76ers...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2012, 09:21 AM
So, down to almost the final four NBA teams...

The NBA's/TV's pick: OKC vs. MIA
The fan's pick: OKC vs. BOS
The NBA's nightmare: SA vs. PHI
The old folks' pick: SA vs. BOS
The WhoCares? pick: SA or OKC vs. BOS or MIA or PHI

Oh, and the WNBA has started again.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2012, 11:25 PM
So, down to almost the final four NBA teams...

The NBA's/TV's pick: OKC vs. MIA
The fan's pick: OKC vs. BOS
The NBA's nightmare: SA vs. PHI
The old folks' pick: SA vs. BOS
The WhoCares? pick: SA or OKC vs. BOS or MIA or PHI

Oh, and the WNBA has started again.So, apparently teevee and The Association get their desires. I hope the Thunder sweeps. :yawn: :o

TeeEye7
06-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I hope the Thunder sweeps.

Well said, sir! :thumbsup:

:whip:

Darth Metalmute
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Annnnd.... the Heat win. Thankfully we can now go back to our regularly scheduled programs...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I was glad I was on a boat for this series; I could easily ignore it. :yawn: :o

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
... and after that year, too. :babump:

So, with March Madness a month or so away, any thoughts to share on college hoops? Since pro b-ball gets as much interest as a made free throw by Dwight Howard, these days.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I happened to turn on the Wisconsin/Michigan game, with about 2 seconds left at the end. In-bounds, inside of half-court three... dead center of the rim; good! OT! Even I put up my arms in celebration, with no rooting interest for either Big12Ten school. I suppose one of them won. :rolleyes: Actually, the refs left in a player with 5 fouls (who even attempted a shot, IIRC) while the last few seconds burned away.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-10-2013, 09:24 AM
YSU lost in the quarterfinals of the Horizon League tourney, but Pitt wins to keep a higher Big East (soon to be RIP :cry: ) seed. I think that Ohio State can even share the Big9,10,11,12,13...Ten reg. season title. Next week: Big Dance tickets punched, while others hang around the punch bowl at the middle school dances.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Curious to find out the seedings tomorrow. If Ohio State gets put in the west, they'd be in LA if they make it that far. Could they be in the same building as B-CJ, perhaps? It'd be extra awesome if Pitt's in that bracket, too.

Darth Metalmute
03-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Pitt would have to get past Gonzaga, but they could meet in the elite eight.

Who's everyone got? As of now, I got Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, and Miami in the final four. I might end up with Michigan State over Duke though to fulfill my 1,1,2,4 logic.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
First round double-digit seed upsets? (Cincinnati, Ole Miss, Belmont, Cal., Oklahoma, Northwestern St.)

Sweet 16 (with Elite 8 teams with *)? (MIDWEST = Louisville*, Oregon, Mich. St.*, Duke; WEST = Gonzaga, Kansas St.*, New Mexico, Ohio St.*; SOUTH = Kansas*, Michigan, Northwestern St., Georgetown*; EAST = Indiana, Syracuse*, Marquette*, Miami)

Final 4? (Michigan St. vs. Ohio St.; Kansas vs. Syracuse), with Ohio St. beating Kansas for the title. Homer pick? Probably.

Darth Metalmute
03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I've been listening to too many talking heads. I know have MSU, OSU, Florida, and Miami. Maybe by noon I'll have it tied down... :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Pitt would have to get past Gonzaga, but they could meet in the elite eight.

Who's everyone got? As of now, I got Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, and Miami in the final four. I might end up with Michigan State over Duke though to fulfill my 1,1,2,4 logic.Odd that I couldn't quite go homer for Pitt, but I did for the Buckeyes.

Hmm... should my Final Four've been full of a 1, a 1, a 3, and an 8 seed instead? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm in debate about the OSU/Arizona game at Staples Center this Thursday... mainly my doubt involves the 4:45pm tip-off time (going into LA before then? :eek: ) and the prices of tickets (not even including the gouging that is parking near the arena :greedy: ).

I still have 11 of my Sweet 16 teams left (with the Midwest & East brackets correct), 6 of my Elite 8, and my Final 4's intact.

BTW, Youngstown State blew a home court 20+ point lead in an overtime loss to some team, in the other "other" tourney. :(

Darth Metalmute
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
I still have 11 of my Sweet 16 teams left (with the Midwest & East brackets correct), 6 of my Elite 8, and my Final 4's intact.(

I have 10 of 16, 6 of 8, and all 4 final four left. The west killed my brackets though. I went 4 of 12 in the west.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2013, 06:43 PM
If Ohio State gets put in the west, they'd be in LA if they make it that far. Could they be in the same building as B-CJ, perhaps? It'd be extra awesome if Pitt's in that bracket, too.Well, The Ohio State Buckeyes get the honor of attending the same basketball game as I will tomorrow. :pleased: I may be able to touch the roof of Staples Center from my seat, but it's fairly near half court, and the tickets weren't too expensive. Can't wait!

Darth Metalmute
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
This year was tragic to my pools. 2 out of 4 final four gone... Big ten final four chance ruined... Thank goodness baseball starts tomorrow.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2013, 12:08 AM
I was way, WAY up in the rafters of Staples Center (I could see the top level above the scoreboard). Saw a furious 2nd-half comeback fall just short. :( My bracket is done, as I only have Syracuse left, and I had them losing to Kansas anyway.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, at least Pitt and Ohio St. can say they lost to the team (Wichita St.) that lost to the eventual tourney winner (Louisville).

Darth Metalmute
04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Those are great pics!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, I guess that NOW Lakers fans might just have to give up their claim of the NBA title this season. I hate to see anybody hurt, especially leg injuries. :(