PDA

View Full Version : You've explained your signature, so tell us about your AVATAR!

JEDIpartner
11-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Why did you select/create the avatar you are currently using? Does it have a special meaning? Is it something random that made you laugh? Is it part of a private joke?

My current avatar was pulled from a picture of four kids in the Solon Arts Centre's recent programme guide. i was having lunch with my mother and I stumbled across this picture of three really happy looking kids and this one little girl who was pulling the most ridiculous face. Soda nearly came pouring out of my nose. Yeah... it was just that funny to me.

El Chuxter
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Mine is in memory of Catherine Eddowes and her left kidney. Half of it was fried and tasted very nise.

JimJamBonds
11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Its me and a couple of friends at a music festival from a couple of years back. I was there 'working' because my former company provided the booze and they were there because they are fans of country music.

JEDIpartner
11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Mine is in memory of Catherine Eddowes and her left kidney. Half of it was fried and tasted very nise.

:eek:

Its me and a couple of friends at a music festival from a couple of years back. I was there 'working' because my former company provided the booze and they were there because they are fans of country music.

That sounds like an all-around win!

JimJamBonds
11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
That sounds like an all-around win!Well...I hate country music and they are my friends...not my 'friends.' :tyrannosaurus:

JEDIpartner
11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Well...I hate country music and they are my friends...not my 'friends.' :tyrannosaurus:

I was talking about the booze making it all tolerable... LOL

JimJamBonds
11-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I was talking about the booze making it all tolerable... LOLON the record we weren't supposed to drink...off the record we could drink but if we did something stupid our arse was grass.

Tycho
11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm Tycho and this is my action figure.

When I first met SirSteve on the JediNet boards and he was starting this site, I didn't want to use my real name and keep an interest (in action figures and space wars fantasies) private because a majority of people seem so prejudiced against this sort of thing. They want to disparage those of us into this for whatever advantage they feel they gain from raining on another's parade.

So I went through the major movie characters looking for a screen name and didn't like adding numbers to the end, such as HanSolo12, and Rogue Squadron's 1st officer's name had been just obscure enough to most, not reading the literature, that I snagged "Tycho" 15 years ago. Yup. Fifteen years ago.

I probably registered as Tycho around most of the fan site community at that time (RS GH TFN YF - that might be the limit there).

My profile pics have been limited to either cartoon pics of Tycho Celchu, the occasional actual image of ME, a custom picture of Michael Bay inside an Optimus Prime PotatoHead (I still use this on TFW2005) and my current picture of my very own character's action figure (though I'm hoping Hasbro makes his X-wing Pilot uniform one day, as I prefer flying X-wings over just about any SW fighter plane.

bigbarada
11-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I think I've had a Kithaba avatar most of the 10 years that I've been here on SSG. After Ephant Mon was confirmed in the 2001 Fans' Choice poll, Kithaba moved into the #1 slot of my most wanted Star Wars action figures list and he's stayed there ever since. For the longest time I just used a photo of Kithaba from the film, but now I get to use an image of the hand-painted prototype. Eventually I will post a photo of the actual Kithaba action figure from my personal collection. :) That will be cool and once I check him off of my want list I'm not 100% sure than another figure will automatically take his place.

JEDIpartner
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm Tycho and this is my action figure.

Very cool history lesson, Tycho!! I remember when you had that comic art version of the character for the longest time. I don't know much about him, so I need to ask: did he ever fly an X-Wing?

After Ephant Mon was confirmed in the 2001 Fans' Choice poll, Kithaba moved into the #1 slot of my most wanted Star Wars action figures list and he's stayed there ever since.

Is it 'cos no other character (other than a fighter pilot uniform) wears red pants? :) What draws you to the character? I'm always so fascinated as to what attracts people to certain designs and stuff.

Tycho
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
To JP:

Yes, Tycho Celchu primarily flies X-wings, but he's cleared for duty on A-Wings, B-Wings, and Y-wings as well as TIE Fighters, TIE Interceptors, and Llambda Class Shuttles, amongst other craft.

Tycho first appeared in Mike Stackpole's writing for the Rogue Squadron novels and spin-off comics.

He looks like me - blonde / light brown hair, blue eyes, small build

He shares a favorite hero with me - Han Solo (and off-duty he wears the black vest / white shirt get-up like Han does.

If I wanted to costume, I have a lot of choices for Tycho:

-Han Solo civilian clothes (the vest and white shirt - Tycho is not Corellian so he doesn't wear the blood stripe).

- Imperial Officer uniform - he was once listed as "MIA" and is an Imperial Captain (of a TIE wing)

- TIE Pilot uniform - in case I want to do the 501st - I have 2 Imperial choices

- X-wing Pilot uniform - the orange "Luke Skywalker" flight suit (and snowspeeder variation) are possible. The first being his primary flight suit as the Rogues mainly fly X-wings.

- In Ret-Conned ROTJ, Tycho was one of the A-wing pilots, though it's difficult to consolidate that with the film. Tycho should be much younger than the movie pilot portrayed as Green Leader. In ROTJ, Tycho should have been about 26 years old, I think. Green Leader seems to be played by an actor approaching or beyond at least 40 years old. There are two other younger A-wing pilots in the movie with speaking lines, but one is the brown haired Arvel Crynyd - who quite obviously dies taking Admiral Piett with him. Now in all honestly, I don't care that much for A-wing Fighters (weak shields don't last long against swarms of TIEs, but they are fast and carry concussion missiles) so I won't really ever consider dressing in the green pilot's uniform. Plus that was just for ROTJ - as Tycho normally wears orange X-wing gear as I stated.

I love fighter jets and starfighter planes, and favor flight simulator games of all kinds - air and space. So a character with piloting skills appeals to me. Now I would use the Dark Side of the Force (but not be a Sith and likely stay loosely allied with the New Republic like Kyp Durron does), so you'd think I'd be a huge Corran Horn fan. But I honestly didn't think Corran got a pair until he decided he had to take on that mission (all on his own) to assasinate the leader of that Yuuzhon Vong strike force (Tsavong Lah I believe) other Ithor - against Luke's orders - and then I really liked him in that book! (He's a real Force-weilder gone "rogue" at that point). Nevertheless, neither Corran nor Kyp look like me (darker short and long hair respectively).

- Tycho hooks up with Winter, Princess Leia's handmaiden / look-alike (when she wears her hair dark (though she is naturally albino white). Not only is Winter hot, but she's fascinating as a New Republic Special Operations Agent as well. I love her since she's proven herself so capable, even without a Force-wielder like Luke Skywalker always looking out for her.

- Until it finally became known by Imperial Intelligence and Director Ysanne Isaard, Tycho could also operate as an agent and infiltrate the Empire since he was listed as MIA but nevertheless on active-duty status with the Imperials. That's cool!

- An Alderaanian, Tycho, like me, lost his entire family and is essentially an orphan. He also fights for what he believes in, not other Alderaanians or any other type of factionalism (though he supports Princess Leia for certain - but then again, so would I).

Except for not being Force-sensitive (which always seemed to be cliche for Corran Horn's character, even though it makes sense that Force-sensitives would find their way to joining Luke Skywalker) Tycho embodies the majority of traits I admire in a Star Wars character. And again, in his position, without Force powers to protect me, I'd probably live a life like he does in that galaxy far, far away. I wouldn't be so safe going rogue like a Dark Jedi if I didn't have those powers to begin with.

bigbarada
11-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Is it 'cos no other character (other than a fighter pilot uniform) wears red pants? :) What draws you to the character? I'm always so fascinated as to what attracts people to certain designs and stuff.

I think it all goes back to the ROTJ storybook that I got back in 1983. I had that book for years before I finally saw ROTJ in 1986, so I always assigned an exaggerated level of importance to any characters that were clearly visible in it. Right off the bat, I took a liking to the Gamorrean Guards, Ephant Mon and Kithaba (even though he wasn't called Kithaba back then and I just thought of him as the "dog-faced guard"). Jabba's Palace fascinated me the most initially with its Medieval, fantasy-like feel - which was such a major departure from what we had seen so far in Star Wars - and I liked how those action figures could be played with completely outside of a Star Wars context. Plus, I tended to gravitate towards aliens with animal faces (which probably had a lot to do with growing up watching Disney, Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry cartoons); but not in one of those weird modern anthro-artist kind of ways.

For some reason Kithaba always just stood out to me with his dog-faced, pirate-like, tough-guy, weather-worn look. Like he could hold his own in a fair fight and wouldn't take crap from anyone, but just happened to be totally outclassed when going up against a Jedi. Also, he had the most memorable death scene of any of the Skiff Guards and I really did find my self feeling a bit of pity for the guy when I finally saw ROTJ 3 years later.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the insight, Tycho and BigBarada!!

I just changed my avatar to frame 352 of the Patterson-Gimlin film of a possible bigfoot from Bluff Creek, California.

El Chuxter
12-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I'd use this frame instead. It's a better shot.

Snowtrooper
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Nothing really significant about my selection for an avatar. I've always been a fan of the tv show and movies and I thought the logo was cool looking as well. Insane/grossout humor I usually seem to find amusing and Jackass was packed full of that.

JimJamBonds
12-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I just changed my avatar to frame 352 of the Patterson-Gimlin film of a possible bigfoot from Bluff Creek, California.Are you serious with the frame number????

JEDIpartner
12-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you serious with the frame number????

Yeah... because that film has been pored over so much since it was shot, this frame is the "famous frame" and designated "frame 352".

JimJamBonds
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Crazy...I wonder if its the same way with the Zapurder (sp?) film as well.

JEDIpartner
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I would imagine so. Google "Zapruder frame".

OK... I just did and highlighted frames in the search are 160, 313, 317, 335 and 413.

Tycho
12-07-2011, 02:25 PM
What happens in those frames? Does Lee Harvey Oswald now kill a sasquatch?

JEDIpartner
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Only in George Lucas' version.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-07-2011, 06:38 PM
What happens in those frames? Does Lee Harvey Oswald now kill a sasquatch?No, with all those numbers, Jenny-Jenny Wookannaye turns to. :8675309:

Tycho
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I believe that if Sasquatches exist, they'd be Star Wars fans, and Chewbacca would be their favorite character.

TeeEye7
12-10-2011, 02:06 PM

When I saw Chux's, I first thought it might be the artwork from John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces. It's very similar.

BCJ: You might want to consider that book on you list to read over the summer.
http://www.jktoole.com/

JimJamBonds
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Mine is MC Bossk and DJ-88! I found it after 2-1b told me about a Bossk pic he found while working the google machine, my avatar isn't that pic but a little gem I found on my own.

JEDIpartner
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I LOVE your new avatar!!!!!

JimJamBonds
12-17-2011, 09:45 AM
I LOVE your new avatar!!!!!
As do I sir...as do I.

El Chuxter
12-17-2011, 01:03 PM
When I saw Chux's, I first thought it might be the artwork from John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces. It's very similar.
I had not considered that, but you have a point. If Ignatius was the Ripper, though, the universe might implode. Or maybe Toole was the Ripper, and he gassed himself in his garage and that's why his spree stopped so suddenly.