PDA

View Full Version : Walmart* "Discover the Force" exclusive sub-line...

JEDIpartner
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm only interested in a portion of what is being offered here. I think I would like to get the droid, the Gungan Warrior, Ric, the Pilot, and Mawhonic. I'm interested in the Royal Starship droids to finally get good versions of those. All of these will be in the Maul packaging like the rest of the Movie Heroes line, but will also feature the red and blue 3-D glasses on the side of the package.

BASIC FIGURES:
1- Aurra Sing (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
2- Darth Maul
3- Destroyer Droid
4- G8-R35- Gungan Warrior (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
6- Mawhonic (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
7- Obi-Wan Kenobi (will later be in Movie Heroes)
8- Qui-Gon Jinn (will later be in Movie Heroes)
9- Ric Olie
10- Naboo Pilot (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
11- Tusken Raider
12- Yoda

MULTIPACKS:
13- Mos Espa Arena (includes Anakin Skywalker, C-3PO, Sebulba, and a pair of Pit Droids)
14- Royal Starship Droids (includes R2-D2, R2-A6, R2-R9, and R2-B1)

VEHICLE/CREATURE ASSORTMENT:
15- Dewback (repack of the 2009 creature)
16- Vulture Droid (a repaint of The Clone Wars vehicle)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I'll be getting all the exclusive figures, as I worry that not all of their accessories will carry over to their Vintage repacks (though I can't back that up). I'll also likely get some more Tusken Raiders and Destroyer Droids, since I like these versions the best.

I'll be getting the multipacks and creature/vehicles, even though the Mos Espa Arena one is only for Anakin and Sebulba's flags. :p

DarkJedi5
01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I share JJL's concern about accessories being carried forward. The Movie Heroes (and similarly packaged figures) have far more room in the blister than the Vintage figures and so some accessories may not carry over. I'm also a little torn on the battle packs. I don't really need any of the figures but what I would like are the flags from the podracer set and the droid stands from the astromech set. Seems really silly to buy the whole pack just for accessories.

El Chuxter
01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
So Ric's the only true exclusive here, right?

Still, the case for the accessories is sound. This happened with a recent Joe release (the Pursuit of Cobra Iron Grenadier) who lost a rifle when re-released very soon after on the new 30th Anniversary packaging, despite the room for accessories being the same on both cards, and most 30th Anniversary figures having more accessories than previous figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2012, 03:31 PM
So Ric's the only true exclusive here, right?
G8-R3 is also exclusive. JEDIpartnr, the spacing in your post accidentally puts G8-R3 and the Gungan Warrior on the same line.

Seems really silly to buy the whole pack just for accessories.
Well, the Astro Droids figures are all based on the build-a-droid mold, meaning it's the first time any of these characters (including R2-D2) have used that body. It also means that the figures can break apart, as in the film. :D I guess your purchase could be decided by whether or not you like that mold.

JEDIpartner
01-05-2012, 11:43 AM
G8-R3 is also exclusive. JEDIpartnr, the spacing in your post accidentally puts G8-R3 and the Gungan Warrior on the same line.

I see... I apologise for the error!! LOL

BASIC FIGURES:
1- Aurra Sing (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
2- Darth Maul
3- Destroyer Droid
4- G8-R35
5- Gungan Warrior (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
6- Mawhonic (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
7- Obi-Wan Kenobi (will later be in Movie Heroes)
8- Qui-Gon Jinn (will later be in Movie Heroes)
9- Ric Olie
10- Naboo Pilot (will later be in The Vintage Collection)
11- Tusken Raider
12- Yoda

MULTIPACKS:
13- Mos Espa Arena (includes Anakin Skywalker, C-3PO, Sebulba, and a pair of Pit Droids)
14- Royal Starship Droids (includes R2-D2, R2-A6, R2-R9, and R2-B1)

VEHICLE/CREATURE ASSORTMENT:
15- Dewback (repack of the 2009 creature)
16- Vulture Droid (a repaint of The Clone Wars vehicle)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I was in W*M today and saw the new packaging on Sebulba's & Anakin's Podracers, Sith Infiltrator, and some tank (AAT or MTT?). Are these repacks? No new figures though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I was in W*M today and saw the new packaging on Sebulba's & Anakin's Podracers, Sith Infiltrator, and some tank (AAT or MTT?). Are these repacks? No new figures though.
I saw them as well, and got the AAT. I haven't seen comparison shots, but I'm reasonably sure that the Sith Infiltrator is a straight repack, the podracers are repaints (though to what degree, I'm not sure), and though I haven't yet opened the AAT, it's based on the one that's been released in some form or another since 1999 but updates the cockpit so a droid can fit inside. It's the only one that has some new tooling, at least.

JEDIpartner
01-30-2012, 09:18 AM
I stopped in at three Walmarts this morning, one super and two standards, and found absolutely nothing. The pegs were full with the same Movie Heroes and Clone Wars figures that they've had out for the last two to three weeks. I saw some of the new Class-I vehicles (Maul's speeder, etc.) and Class-II vehicles (podracers, etc.), but there wasn't even any peg space to devote to the Discover the Force range in the aisle. Are they putting up a display in a special area?? If so, I still didn't even see a place for that to go. It was rather disappointing. Oh, well-- at least I got my one hour cardio in at the gym and finished up before 6:30am today. :numbness:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I've seen a few Walmarts with special pegs reserved for their exclusive figures, but I don't think anyone has found them in the States yet. They should be along shortly, but they won't be out today.

JEDIpartner
01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
I got word from a friend that the toy manager at his Walmart* reports that the DTF range is on backorder at their store. I don't know if these means this extends to the entire chain or if it's just select stores. Keep your eyes peeled and please report back in with your findings. If no one is finding these at retail, it's possible that a second release date, closer to the film's release, might be in place.

JEDIpartner
01-31-2012, 01:15 PM
I read a rumour that sorta supports something I was told by a friend yesterday:
I got word from a friend that the toy manager at his Walmart* reports that the DTF range is on backorder at their store. Apparently, Walmart did not ship any of the action figures from the DTF range until yesterday. It's not expected that the stores will have them set up until later next week. That's right... Next. Week. I think they are really cutting it down to the wire and that they might've been better served getting this out early to tie in with the whole 3D campaign (considering their range is the only one utilising the 3D gimmick in the packaging).

tagmac
02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Has ANYONE found these yet? This was the one morning I couldn't get to my WM, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't get them in yet, and that I'll still have a shot.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
They've been found in Texas and Arizona so far. One person found them in a big island display (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/0206120432.jpg) with vehicles on two sides, figures on one, and nothing on another.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
...and nothing on another.

wasteful!!!

JEDIpartner
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I was down at Steelyard this evening after a day that completely "SUKED". Anyhow, what DIDN'T "suke" was the fact that I spotted the big, light blue display in the cross-aisle between the media and toy departments. It's not a unicorn, kids!!! They had a bunch of figures (I think maybe 1/3 of them were picked through when I was there) and they had the dewback and the Vulture Droid. Missing, however, were the exclusive battle packs. I guess those are still on their way.

El Chuxter
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Found anything yet?

Nothing yet, sir.

We ain't found $#@*!!

DarkJedi5
02-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I saw the Dewback and Vutlure Droids on WM.com last night. Still no basic figures and the pod race battle pack was sold out.

JEDIpartner
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
The astromech set went back up on Walmart*'s site this morning, so I was able to order those and get free shipping. WOOT!! I'm all set with this DTF range now.

mtriv73
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
My astromech set came in last week and I love it. I haven't opened the vulture droid yet, but I'm sure it will meet my rather low expectations for it. Still no dtf figures at the wm I checked this morning.

JEDIpartner
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I have the Vulture droid with the CIS paint-up on it and it's actually kinda cool and a lot more articulated than you would expect!

tagmac
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Just found some of these, but not on the pallet display. Interestingly, they must have put them out during the day, as I didn't recall seeing them this morning - and I almost missed them this afternoon! I saw the Dewback, Vulture Droid, and one pit droid battle pack, so I went looking for the pallet to no avail. Took one more look at the pegs, and realized there were glasses with Obi-Wan, which I had originally thought was a Legends fig - it blended in too well! Strangely, they had about 6-8 each of him, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Tusken, and Droideka. Absolutely no sign of Mawhonic, Aurra, Gungan, or the Pilot, so I don't know if someone bought them all, or if they dismantled the pallet in the back, and only put out the figures from one section that would fit (and those Droideka's take up twice as much space thanks to the shield piece). No sign of the Droid 4-pack either.

Luckily, I snagged the lone Ric Olie and G8-R3 unit that were there - seeing as how there was still one each of these two left, being exclusives, I doubt someone would buy just the other four and leave these. I'll check back a few more times, but at least the others will be re-released, so if I can't find them, there's still a second chance on the Vintage cards.

JetsAndHeels
02-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I found some of these today. I got maul, the droideka, tusken raider, and the white Droid. Left the rest.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I found and got everything from this line today (aside from the Qui-Gon lightsaber, which I don't really care about). One Walmart had the big blue display, another did not, and both had the battle packs on the shelf. I went ahead and got two Destroyer Droids and one Tusken Raider, since why not. I haven't opened anything yet but it all looks cool.

I have the Vulture droid with the CIS paint-up on it and it's actually kinda cool and a lot more articulated than you would expect!
I expect that it's exactly as articulated as the 2009 The Clone Wars release. :p

El Chuxter
02-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I saw the dregs of this wave today. I didn't realize the 3D glasses were made into the side of the card. It looks kinda cheap. Not that that's what's important to me, but it does seem odd.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
I hadn't been to Wal-Mart in several weeks, but I stopped in there today before going to see TPM in 3D. They didn't have a lot there, but I think I found most of the figures I wanted:

Aurra Sing
Gungan Warrior
G8-R3
Mawhonic
Naboo Pilot
Ric Oliť

I didn't look around for any special displays. I didn't see those battle packs, but I did see a Dewback.

Snowtrooper
02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
They had the whole wave at the local WM, but I just picked up:

Mawhonic
Gungan Warrior X 2
Aurra Sing
Naboo Pilot X 2
Ric Olie
Tusken Raider
G8-R3

-Also picked up the droid 4pack. I was going to pass at first since I have all the previous releases, but saw that they were all BAD, so I got them for droid parts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I was able to open up everything tonight, and it's all fantastic. Aurra's knees sit bizarrely low on her legs, but aside from that, she's quite an amazing figure - a great upgrade from the POTJ version. G8-R3 isn't completely accurate to the film, given that it's an OT R5 droid instead of a PT version, but it's cool for what it is and it's nice to finally have him. The Gungan is fantastic, with the farseein and cesta. I'll definitely get a few more of him. Mawhonic is even smaller than I expected (and I expected him to be tiny), but he's still very well done and the addition of the flag is a nice touch (the eight currently available flags look awesome together, I'm so glad they finally released them). Ric Oliť and the Naboo Pilot have the same body, but they're both fantastic figures. The articulation is hidden really well in the shoulders and elbows, and the trenchcoats look great. The 1999 Ric Oliť was never the greatest figure around, but now he just looks laughably bad next to the new one.

The Destroyer Droid's body is curved a bit in the package, but goes to its normal position easily enough. The shield is less blue than the last version, but still not transparent. I had forgotten that the droid needs to curve its legs down to be able to fit in the slightly-too-short bubble, but it still looks cool. The Tusken Raider has a slightly different, more gauze-like material to its robes (it's similar to the TVC Darth Maul in that regard). The torso might be a little dirtier than the 2006 release, but it's not too different.

With the figures from this subline, plus the TVC figures, Podracer Pilots set (which I just got today), and army builders, I've gotten 47 TPM figures since the push started (if you count pit droids as individual figures; if not, then it's a little less than that). It'll be great to finally update the shelf so much.

JEDIpartner
02-21-2012, 07:33 AM
It seems like the usual suspects are lingering on the pegs. I seriously don't understand why they picked "that Yoda", "that Qui-Gon" and "that Obi-Wan" for this exclusive wave when they are available in other currently distributed waves. Really, really strange.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
It seems like the usual suspects are lingering on the pegs. I seriously don't understand why they picked "that Yoda", "that Qui-Gon" and "that Obi-Wan" for this exclusive wave when they are available in other currently distributed waves. Really, really strange.
This Yoda is not the same as the Movie Heroes Yoda - the DTF one is the 2005 ROTS Yoda (Firing Cannon) (http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS0503yoda.asp) with the 1999 Episode I chair (the figure is a slightly different shade of green), while the MH one is the 2005 ROTS Yoda (Spinning Attack) (http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS0526yoda.asp) version without the original base. You are right, though, that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are also currently in the MH line, same accessories (though the bases are different colors). There really aren't that many good, modern-style versions of either character, so they didn't have much to work with.

JEDIpartner
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I suppose. They really should've retooled the necks and used the Movie Heroes wave two heads on them to make them really special. It wouldn't have cost them that much and they could've been reused in future assortments.

JediTricks
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
My local WM doesn't have a pallet, so the figures just show up mixed into the Movie Heroes and CW, and the kids have been ripping the 3D glasses off the cards a lot. Mawhonic is almost a pegwarmer here.

I picked up the Gungan Warrior and the Naboo Pilot, their 3D art is actually pretty decent, I suspect I enjoyed their cardback art more than I would the actual 3D TPM. :D

The Gungan Warrior recycles the arms and legs of the previous figure, the one with the horn, but the head and torso are new, both are pretty good, and there's no ridiculous spots all over him this time (though his paint is a touch plain). I didn't remember the feet being so fat though, it's a weird design. I get the feeling this figure was designed by the old guard team and then the new guard management picked up the pieces and screwed up the little things though: the Farseein has its "eyes" attached backwards so it's looking behind instead of ahead (and it feels too flimsy to break the glue on them to fix), and the long atlatl has 2 little issues: the peg connecting the halves is too long so there's a gap, and they left the boomer that it's supposed to hurl out of the set. So it's a nice figure with good articulation but the significant accessories let the figure down in little yet notable ways.

The Naboo Pilot is pretty decent, but it is overwhlemed by the oversized coat which is just cut too big in every direction. It's too long on the sleeves and they're about double width, the faux belt is at his knees, and the coat ends up floor-length when it's supposed to end at the top of the boots. If not for the belt, it'd make a better Jedi robe than the ones Hasbro gives to Jedi figures, but as a pilot coat it's just a problem. The figure's flight jacket is sculpted as part of his torso, it looks pretty good but the collar doesn't pop as much as it should, the movie had the jacket collar popping well over the coat collar, here there's a couple millimeters you can get at the tips but basically it's a no-go which is a shame. The jacket isn't too complicated or too wrinkled, but its mustard color is a little darker than it should be, while the simple shoulder harness is lighter than it should be. The holster looks good and works well, there's some question that it's not on the costume, but I can see it on some of the behind-the-scenes shots so I think they made the right call. The overall figure isn't mind-blowing but it's good work. The helmet is really cool though, the permanently-affixed goggles are clear over the helmet and you can see the helmet behind them, a great touch, they achieved this with a separate painted panel in the back. The figure's face is a bit older and angrier than seems appropriate, the eyebrows are very boldly-painted. An odd thing about the face, it's quite asymmetrical in its lines but not its features, and I realize this is a fairly common issue for figures over the last 8 or 9 years, since the Saga line. Finally, the blaster accessory, it's the standard blocky Naboo blaster but the sculpt and paint are really good. Overall, this is a fairly decent figure, but its trademark accessory - the coat - has enough problems to dampen the experience.

JEDIpartner
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
The Gungan Warrior recycles the arms and legs of the previous figure, the one with the horn, but the head and torso are new, both are pretty good, and there's no ridiculous spots all over him this time (though his paint is a touch plain).

I love that so many people look at him and just go "repaint!" when, for the most part, it is pretty much a new figure. And it is a rather good one as well!

El Chuxter
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
He's a Gungan. They rock. Don't blame the whole race for Jar Jar Binks. That'd be like an alien culture condemning all of humanity because Carrot Top appeared in one of their movies.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
He's a Gungan. They rock. Don't blame the whole race for Jar Jar Binks. That'd be like an alien culture condemning all of humanity because Carrot Top appeared in one of their movies.

...Pauly Shore.

LOL