PDA

View Full Version : Who u want to sculpt Star Wars

Dar' Argol
03-06-2002, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking about this for some time now. I've read many a poster not satisfied with certain sculpts of characters. So here's the question:

If someone else could do sculpts for Star Wars, who would you choose?

For me I'd love to see McFarlane Toys get there handson a few characters. The amount of detail they put into most of their sculpts is unreal sometimes! I'd love to see their take on such characters as Darth Maul, Han Solo, Chewy, Obi-Wan, and Emperor Palpatine! I just think those sculpts would be the prized possesion of many a Star Wars collector.:happy:

So what do you think? Who should sculpt a line of SW figures and who should be in that line?

OK, my question changed slightly. Sue me.

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 12:40 AM
There is a thread about this already. I can't remember the exact title of the thread or which section it was under. Moderators, can we delete this thread or combine this thread with that one or bump it up so that Dar'Argol can read it?

Dar' Argol
03-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Sorry, I was not aware this thread already existed. It was something that was making me dissy running around in my head so I spit it out. . . . I had to clean the screen off afterwards . . . :crazed:

Jayspawn
03-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Although Hasbro is a pain in the ***, I would only want Hasbro to sculpt Star Wars figures.

evenflow
03-12-2002, 04:49 PM
For the most part I am happy with Hasbro. They do make some really stupid decisions, but we all live with it. Then I start thinking, McFarlane would do an amazing job. I would love to see him do Star Wars.

InsaneJediGirl
03-13-2002, 07:28 PM
McFarlane would probably do the best job on keeping the figures
consistant(by keeping them 3 3/4),use the tons of detail,and
listen to the customers on what they want.

However,I see Hasbro making SW figs for a long time,since GL
probably owns a percent of the company.

Dar' Argol
03-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I know there is no chance Hasbro's gonna give up the cash cow, but the idea is who would you like to see make SW figs if the deceision was left up to you.

And McFarlane would not have to make them 3 3/4" I would like to see a 6" or 8" fig with really good articulation and a lot of detail put into them. The problem is that Hasbro has everyone blinded to this format that it is hard to think outside the 3 3/4" box. I realize that in my pipe dream, this would cause problems with collectors who's whole set up is based on 3 3/4", I know I'd have to re-arrange a bit. Look at what he did for Staring Line Up. They where areound 3 3/4" and now there 5-6" figs and they look great. The card shots are of the figs, not the real athletes!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
03-15-2002, 08:40 PM
The only problem with a 6'' or 8'' line is that they wouldnt flow
with the previous figs and the vehicles would be even more expensive!

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 10:32 PM
If a 6" line HAS to be done, I want it done by ToyBiz. :cool: Can you imagine a Stormtrooper with 30 points of articulation like those Spider-Man figures? And the figures aren't that expensive either, and they do have to pay a license also. :happy:

Taichi
04-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Nah, McFarlane would OVER detail them, and they'd suck.....they'd be as useless as Epic Force figures....

oh wait......Epic Force.....remember those highly detailed, giant, exclusive showcase figures.....

I thought so......

see the point is, that if McFarlane did Star Wars, they'd just be unposable statues.....and since Hasbro has already done that, and nobody bought them, I don't ever see it happening again.......

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 03:11 PM
ACtually, the new "Unleashed" line seems to be exactly on par with the sculpting of McF. The "Unleashed" line looks incredible, but they are statues. I still want that Maul and Anakin though, they'll look good on my desk.

I wouldn't want McF to do a full line like Hasbro, just a few main characters.

187-Maul
04-06-2002, 07:21 PM
exactly what I was thinkin Wolfwood, mcfarlane should do a few figs like darth vader, stormie, darth maul, boba fett, jango fett and count dooku - they would be awesome looking and still have a few articulation points (the minimum on mcfarlane-figs is usualy about 5)

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Actually, the new McFarlane figs have some decent articulation. I picked up the Wings of Redemption Spawn and Raven Spawn, and both have the standard head, shoulders, and hips. Then W.O.R. Spawn's wings move as well.

I guess McF was tired of the slack he'd been getting for lack of articulation, so he added a lot to the new lines. None of them are in any action pose, and all have standard articulation.

But I don't think we need McF doing star wars if the Unleased line does well. Its basically the same thing I'd want McF doing with the license. A lot of detail in a cool action pose. I don't need articulation with these.

Taichi
04-07-2002, 01:56 PM
I kinda agree with Wolfwood.....

McFarlane is a good toy maker (Although his stuff is fragile, and I don't like him as a person)

and I wouldn't want him as the MASTER toy licensee.....it'd still be cool to see his take on a few major characters.....

a McFarlane Maul would totally rock....

the problem I have with McF, is that they just now got back into ample articulation......most of his toys 1997-present are just cool sculpts with some unnecessary articulation.....just look at his Akira and Vash figures......

six points of leg articulation, but none at the hips and knees.....so what that leads us to, is just being able to twist the 'tube-sections' of his legs around.......there's gotta be ACTION in them joints for me to call it an action figure.....

luckily, on his second line of Anime figures (And most of his recent releases) he's finally listening to the fans...

I don't have anything against his toy company.....who would've thought we'd see an Alice Cooper, or Kiss toy line????

McF toys rules.....even if McF himself does not.....

so, yes, McFarlane's StarWars would rock....so long as he wasn't given full rights.....

and he already said he'd love to do it!

187-Maul
04-07-2002, 02:11 PM
not much articulation you say? look at the samurai wars spawn - he's got about 20 joints!!! you can pose him however you want