PDA

View Full Version : If Jedis cannot love, the why doe's Luke marry Mara Jade... ?

Darth Ovori
03-06-2002, 08:22 PM
I know that EU has nothing to do with the movies... But hell would'nt that make Luke break the Jedi Code like his father... ???

Lord Tenebrous
03-06-2002, 09:42 PM
The Jedi Code of the Old Republic did not exist in the Luke's time or anytime past. So he was free to reinvent the Order as he saw fit. Sort of like a change in government style - you use the past as a guide, but you don't have to follow it.

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 12:01 AM
I never understood the whole Jedi are not allowed to love whole thing. It seems quite silly to me. It seems as if GL (or whoever came up with the concept) was trying to steal the whole "not falling in love or not being allowed to marry," concept from religion, which makes sense in a way since the Jedi/Sith have been refered to as a "phony religion" in ANH. I just find this concept a little stupid. It is almost like they are trying to make the Jedi even more of a "holy" order and lends to how unoriginal Lucas is by stealing some of the concepts of religion and including them within the Jedi order. Of course I could be worng about the origin of the whole "Jedi not allowed to love or marry," thing if indeed this is a EU concept and not a GL concept, but however, on the EP II Adavnce Teaser poster A it says "A Jedi shall not know hate, or fear, or LOVE." Then this must have been a GL concept. Does anyone know seeing as my EU knowledge is not that great?

Co Jo-Da
03-07-2002, 12:13 AM
I hope they go into it more than just the line from the trailer, I really hope Obi-Wan gives Anakin a good talking to about women and what Jedi's are and aren't allowed to do. Luke didn't really have any knowledge of the original Jedi Order when he formed the New Jedi Order.

LTBasker
03-07-2002, 04:52 AM
Love is an emotion, Jedi must not have emotion. WHich is why they are not allowed to love, now Luke on the other hand, he wasn't actually a fully trained Padawan, he went from getting the basics from Obi-Wan to some extra training by Yoda and then training himself, and it even almost drew him to the darkside (I know that's EU, but might as well tie it in. :D) so basically it can be assumed that he, even though does go the Jedi Order, isn't like the Jedi of old time but was able to balance his emotion to where he was able fall in love.

chewie
03-07-2002, 09:28 AM
Yup. With Luke being the only remaining living jedi, he could do pretty much whatever he wanted to the jedi code of conduct, and he did.

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2002, 09:56 AM
And if the Jedi are not supposed to love, why does Yoda in ROTJ say "Pass on what you have learned."
He also told Luke that the Force was very strong in his family.
Well how can Luke pass that on if he does not have children?
And how would Leia pass on her knowledge (Yoda knew about her too) if she did not have children?
It is a compicated subject, but honestly I do not see why Jedi cannot love or marry.
If there is no reproduction, how will more Jedi come to being?

Darth Ovori
03-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Good point there JangoFett96...

But Jedi's are born by miracle of having the force rather than a family gene...

However this is not yet proven...

evenflow
03-07-2002, 12:08 PM
Luke is just the man, he does what he wants.

Darth Evil
03-07-2002, 02:17 PM
The whole "no love" rule in AOTC contradicts Rogue Planet, where one of the female Jedi, whose name I forget, mentions being married many times. But then, GL can do anything he wants, EU isn't all that important (to him).

LTBasker
03-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
And if the Jedi are not supposed to love, why does Yoda in ROTJ say "Pass on what you have learned."
He also told Luke that the Force was very strong in his family.
Well how can Luke pass that on if he does not have children?
And how would Leia pass on her knowledge (Yoda knew about her too) if she did not have children?
It is a compicated subject, but honestly I do not see why Jedi cannot love or marry.
If there is no reproduction, how will more Jedi come to being?

He could've quite possibly meant by training others. :D

Well if people of the force are all born by the midichlorians, then Anakin can't really be a father, now can he? :D Just theory; just "the chosen one" is born with no father while the rest are really conieved the natural way and the midichlorian genes are passed down and more or less the count is raised or lowered.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
03-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Also keep in mind this is a PG movie film aimed for children and we probably should not be probing to deep for "answers". Just go enjoy the movie for what it is.

JetsAndHeels
03-08-2002, 09:01 AM
I see your point LTBasker, but it also raises another question.
You said that they were children of the force, and perhaps Anakin wasnt a father.
So what is the point of his courtship and marriage to Amidala?
Is this just some backdrop to the fact that the galaxy is about to be in a civil war?
If Anakin is not really a father, then what is the whole point of the storyline where Vader tells Luke in ESB, when Luke tells Leia in ROTJ? Was it all a waste?

Nataku
03-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Perhaps a Jedi PADAWAN is not supposed to fall in love, but a Jedi KNIGHT or MASTER can do what they want?

Since the Padawan is still learning to hear and master the use of the Force, extra emotions like Love would just be a distraction to a young Padawan.

Then when you get to be a full Jedi Knight and the Jedi Council is satisfied with your ability to use the Force, you are allowed to fall in love and marry like the Jedi from "Rogue Planet" or the Jedi in the comics series (like Ki-Adi).

Hm?

Nataku!

SithDroid
03-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
I see your point LTBasker, but it also raises another question.
You said that they were children of the force, and perhaps Anakin wasnt a father.
So what is the point of his courtship and marriage to Amidala?
Is this just some backdrop to the fact that the galaxy is about to be in a civil war?
If Anakin is not really a father, then what is the whole point of the storyline where Vader tells Luke in ESB, when Luke tells Leia in ROTJ? Was it all a waste?

I agree. GL is definately digging himself another hole that he can't get out of. Man, I'm telling you GL should have consulted some SW fans that know a lot aobut the SW universe and especially the EU before writing TPM and AOTC. GL just thinks that he can do whatever he wants and if it doesn't fit with the EU, then who cares. Well I do for one. If the 300 plus comics and the 100 or so books can not contradict each other, then certainly GL can do it with the movies. But again this is apparently clear that GL hasn't even looked back at his OT and done any research. Midichlorians were NEVER the original idea all along no matter how much GL says they were. If they were it would have been included in the OT. I have suggested how to get rid of this whole midichlorian issue in another thread. It is quite easy to edit it out of TPM and hopefully there will be no mention of them in AOTC. Also, if Jedi can't marry and are not allowed to love or show emotion, then how does the Jedi line continue without getting wiped out by not reproducing? I always thought that it was inherited as is seen with how Luke and Leia inherit the Force and so does Han and Leia's children. If any old person can become a Jedi, then how come Han can't use the Force? Is his midichlorian count too low? :D :crazed: GL has stated in interviews that he makes movies because he loves to tell stories. Well I like to tell stories too, but not bad ones. Not bad ones that millions of people will see. GL doesn't care about the story anymore, all he cares about is money or making movies to appeal to his children. If he DID care about the story he would have done his research, consulted people, had help writing the script, and had someone else direct the movie. I think that I will go back and watch TPM and look at all the inconsistencies with the OT and post them in another thread for discussion since I have gone on too long for this already.

Bothan187
03-09-2002, 02:25 PM
I agree with everything that SITHLORD posted here. I have known ever since E1, that GL had lost the spark. I am happy to see another Star Wars movie, I am happy to see new charactors, but, like I have been saying for some time now...

It could have been so much better!

Bosskman
03-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Mara Jade is just EU crap. Luke doesn't marry anyone. The last we see of him, he's in the Ewok village with Han, Lei, Chewie, R2, 3PO, Lando doin some wacky damce, Wicket and Paploo looking at the ghosts of Yoda, Ben and Anakin. END of story. No Mara Jade, no Jedi Leia, no "new Jedi order". How could it be a new Jedi order if Luke was trained by Ben and Yoda? It's the same order. We don't know this whole love rule yet. It will, however, make sense with the OT. EU can take a flying leap. Some of it is cool, most is CRAP!

Obi-Don
03-10-2002, 07:21 AM
I agree with the thought that a leaner shouldn't think about love. It can be very distracting and if the love goes wrong,it can be very pianfull. We all know about this. With the pain comes anger,hate and even fear. Which leads to the dark side. Also, having someone you love can be used against you. I don't think love is forbidden but not condoned either. I guess you have to look at it in your own way,because GL has left so many holes in his story that we as fans have to fill in our own way.

SithDroid
03-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Bosskman
Mara Jade is just EU crap. Luke doesn't marry anyone. The last we see of him, he's in the Ewok village with Han, Lei, Chewie, R2, 3PO, Lando doin some wacky damce, Wicket and Paploo looking at the ghosts of Yoda, Ben and Anakin. END of story. No Mara Jade, no Jedi Leia, no "new Jedi order". How could it be a new Jedi order if Luke was trained by Ben and Yoda? It's the same order. We don't know this whole love rule yet. It will, however, make sense with the OT. EU can take a flying leap. Some of it is cool, most is CRAP!

And most of TPM is Cr*p. I personally like most of the EU. The people who write the EU stuff have WAY more imagination than GL and can actually tell some really good stories. Not all of it is great, but I am pleased with a majority of it. If you don't believe in the EU, then that is fine, but a lot of us enjoy the EU because it gives us more than just the movies. But like I've said before, if GL didn't want anyone else to tell SW related storeis then he shouldn't have granted a licence to Del Rey/Bantam Books and Dark Horse Comics. The only reason he granted the licence to them was because GL was just thinking about his pocketbook. He could care less about the stories, which is evident because a lot of stuff in TPM contradicts the EU. He probably hasn't even read any of the EU stuff. GL is responsible for ANYTHING SW related since he has to give the go ahead, so in a way he is responsible for the mistakes of TPM.