PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Wave 2 - Return of the Jedi Deleted Scenes

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Sandtroopers (http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20120111/index.html) has carded and loose images of this wave (included in there is the second wave of Class II vehicles for good measure). The figures are:
87. Luke Skywalker (Lightsaber Construction)
88. Princess Leia (Sandstorm Outfit)
89. Lando Calrissian (Sandstorm Outfit)
90. Colonel Cracken (Millennium Falcon Crew)
91. Rebel Pilot (Mon Calamari)

It's still annoying that Luke is coming in a sleeved cloak instead of the one he wore in Jabba's palace, which is the same one he wore in the deleted scene. Even if Hasbro didn't have the full scene to work from, it should have been obvious that it was the same cloak from the finished film. Still, it looks like a pretty good ROTJ Tatooine version otherwise.

Some of the photoshopped images used on the cardbacks look better than others, but I wasn't planning on keeping any of these carded anyway. The figures themselves are good, anyway.

JediTricks
01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I hadn't noticed that Luke robe thing, that is unacceptable and I hope either someone just made a mistake at prototype stage that LFL caught and corrected, or that someone is FIRED if that gets to market. And that card art is a bit meh all around.

Anyway, the lead characters are cool, I've been waiting, but I'm not enthused exactly - probably the pricepoint. Cracken is fine I guess although he is missing his headset, but that's a figure I would have bought reluctantly at $7, now at $10 it's hard to see the point. The A-wing Mon Cal is an interesting twist but it's not something I would have wanted.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
I hadn't noticed that Luke robe thing, that is unacceptable and I hope either someone just made a mistake at prototype stage that LFL caught and corrected, or that someone is FIRED if that gets to market. And that card art is a bit meh all around.
I bet it will get to market. The fact that even the card art has him wearing a cloak with sleeves leads me to believe that they still haven't caught the mistake and probably won't. I mean, there have been a few Lukes with that cloak, but the only cloth one is from 2004 (and re-released a few times after), so it's not really like you could just take it from a different figure, since then that one and only Luke would look bare. It's a shame, too, since Luke's hooded appearance in the scene really gives it a creepy, ominous vibe, and it just looks goofy and weird to see Luke in that robe.

LTBasker
01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Something I've been wondering but not seen mentioned anywhere, is Cracken's weapon based on the rocket launcher the rebel soldiers carry in Battlefront or from some other source?

Tycho
01-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I can't answer Basker's question, so please don't forget he still needs an answer.

However, from these figures, I will buy Cracken and the Mon Cal A-wing pilot.

Maybe I'll get three figures of Cracken for EU scenes or something.

Maybe even more?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
I like the Cracken release (:rolleyes: ) best of these. I don't game, so I can't answer the Battlefront query, sorry.

JediTricks
01-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Something I've been wondering but not seen mentioned anywhere, is Cracken's weapon based on the rocket launcher the rebel soldiers carry in Battlefront or from some other source?It is definitely not the one used in Battlefront or BF2, as that one was an over-the-shoulder unit with most of the tube behind the shoulder, while the one Cracken comes with is a very different design. My guess is it's something Hasbro made up to make it feel like he had a gunner station in the Falcon, or it's from a game I'm not familiar with. It looks slightly similar to the BF2 Galactic Marine's chaingun, but is quite different in other ways.

LTBasker
01-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you're right, it's far different from the Rebel launcher, I finally popped in the game again. It seemed really familiar for some reason and I realized it's because it at least looks very similar to the Imperial's launcher, but it's not a definite match.

http://battlefront.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Marine

You may have the right idea that it's just something Hasbro came up with.

JediTricks
01-30-2012, 03:37 PM
The cylinders on either side are quite stand-out in design, it's something I would have noticed in a game or show because they're offset.

LTBasker
02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Been noticing reports around places that the Deleted Scenes wave is showing up at Wal-Marts under $4.00 clearance prices, but it's not a definite thing. I managed to score a pair of Sandtroopers, a pair of Hoth Rebels, and a Revenge Ackbar for $4 a piece today but the clearance price was to their specific UPCs. They had a full set of the deleted scenes figures, but when scanned they rang up with a message to talk to the manager. :/

It was tempting to try talking to the manager, but since the new TPM figures were ringing up at full price I figured they wouldn't go for it.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I Might have to check W*M out, as I've seen nothing of this wave at TRU or Target (which are closer stores to me).

JEDIpartner
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Went into Walmart on the way home this evening. I found the Luke, Mon Cal and Cracken that I wanted. It was pretty obvious that they had another full wave there at one point 'cos there was a spare Mon Cal on the pegs. Oh, right... they also had Lando, but no Leia. Anyhow, I took them up to the register along with a DTF Tusken Raider. The three deleted scenes figures wouldn't ring up, but the Tusken Raider did. The cashier told me the other three couldn't be sold 'cos they are "recall" items. Seriously??? What is that all about? It's obvious that I'm just not meant to have any good luck this week.

El Chuxter
02-28-2012, 10:23 PM
That does suck. Whenever that's happened to me, they've just scanned another figure X number of times.

JEDIpartner
02-29-2012, 05:42 AM
That would've been possible if he hadn't stuck them under the counter and refused to give them back to me.

JEDIpartner
02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
I went back on the way into work today on the off chance that they put them back on the pegs, which they did. Sadly, someone bought the Cracken (go figure), but I got the Luke and the Mon Cal. I also bought a spare battle droid, which did ring up, so the cashier used that to scan the other two. Whew!! Now I just need to find that dude with the big honkin' gun!!

bigbarada
02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I picked most of these up this week. 2 Luke, 2 Leias, 2 Landos, 1 Mon Calamari; but no Crackens yet, because he had some paint apps issues with his face.

Walmart seems to be sold out of them now, but I was able to get a few of them for the $4 clearance price. I wasn't specifically trying to get them at that price, but when they wouldn't ring up, the manager walked back to the toy aisle with me and I showed here the price label of $8.96 and tried to explain that the $4 clearance price was supposed to only apply to the older figures on the pegs. However, she said that she would ring them up at $4 each, since that's what the label said. So I got one of each Luke, Leia, Lando and the Mon Cal for a total of $17.16.

bigbarada
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
That would've been possible if he hadn't stuck them under the counter and refused to give them back to me.

That doesn't make any sense. You could have asked to speak to a manager, but I've noticed that some Walmarts are like night and day when you compare their customer service with other Walmart stores.

Of course, it's also possible that the cashier wanted them for himself and saw this as his best opportunity to stash them away until his shift was over.

DarthQuack
02-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Strange story here.

My brother and I are huge Star Wars fans....and I've mostly been the collector over the years, he got plenty of figures as a kid, but I always kept mine carded.

He just randomly goes to Wal-Mart today and picks up this wave. He said the lady rang them up and they didn't scan, so she just asked what they should have been, so I'm assuming they accidentally broke street date and got them way early. :)

El Chuxter
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Of course, it's also possible that the cashier wanted them for himself and saw this as his best opportunity to stash them away until his shift was over.

At the local WM, they don't even bother with that. Any good stuff never makes it to the floor. I've actually seen them stocking the shelves and discussing what to keep out. :(

bigbarada
03-01-2012, 07:48 AM
so I'm assuming they accidentally broke street date and got them way early. :)

There was no street date for these figures. Walmart simply screwed up and didn't enter them into the computer system before they arrived in stores.

At the local WM, they don't even bother with that. Any good stuff never makes it to the floor. I've actually seen them stocking the shelves and discussing what to keep out. :(

At my store, it really depends on who's working in the toy aisle the night the figures show up. I think there might only be one other Star Wars collector in my store; but I can imagine that, with the line running for over 16 years now, lots of collectors could have entrenched themselves into the retail industry for the sole purpose of having easy access to new waves of action figures.

I'll admit that was one of the reasons that I chose to apply to Walmart rather than, say, Rural King or Tractor Supply Co. (the big, rural retail chains around here).

JEDIpartner
03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
That doesn't make any sense. You could have asked to speak to a manager, but I've noticed that some Walmarts are like night and day when you compare their customer service with other Walmart stores.

No, as evidenced by the purchase of two of the three figures that clearly made their way back to the toy aisle by the next morning, he didn't keep them for himself.

This Walmart is right outside of downtown and is full of section 8'ers and lower-class inner city folks. Customer service is NOT their priority-- you've gotta trust me on this one. It usually takes 20 minutes to get to a person at the CS/returns desk and there are about 20 carts of merchandise waiting to go back out just sitting in the expanse where customers don't/can't queue. It looks like a war zone. I should take a picture sometime.

Jabbapalacespy
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I also had a similar experience. I found a mon calimari pilot and decided to get it and an extra wooof, which was on sale for $4. I noticed both rang up as $4. When I told the clerk one figure was full price she said it wouldn't scan so she just scanned the other figure twice. I told her I didn't want to cheat anyone and after scanning a second time she said "Don't worry about it, I'm not going to make you wait while we do a price check." Wow! if only that would happen more often!:eagerness: I thought my experience was unique but I guess not. I thought the figure may have been put out too soon and wasn't in the computers or something like that.

JEDIpartner
03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I got the Cracken at the same WM yesterday and they still didn't have the prices in the system (good job, corporate!). The guy let me run and get an Anakin padawan figure (no, they didn't have anymore on clearance and haven't for over a month), so he used that as the scannable one. Really nice guy. We Asians need to stick together. :)

El Chuxter
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Guess what, JP?

I went to Wal-Mart to get cat food, and there was one lone Cracken. So I was going to get him.

He wasn't in the system.

The cashier snapped that she couldn't sell it. I told her this figure was brand new and how much he should be, and offered to go get another character for her to scan, since that's what they've always done at this very WM.

She actually told me that, if Cracken wasn't in the system, no Star Wars figure would be!

I kinda looked at her funny and told her that they clearly had sold the rest of the wave he'd come in (I may as well have been describing the mating habits of crickets), and that I buy figures there all the time, as recently as a week ago. (Okay, I lied there, since this particular WM hasn't had jacksquat in months.) This figure just wasn't in the system for some reason, but the rest were.

She told me she'd contacted a supervisor. I know from experience (since this is a store where anything that can go wrong, will go wrong) that they're slow as heck.

I waited a couple of minutes and told her to never mind, I'd just get the cat food.

"Are you sure?" she asked, suddenly acting like she gave a crap for whatever reason.

"Yeah, I don't want this long line of people waiting any longer since this store has issues with having enough lines open at any time. I'll get it next time I'm here, when he's in the system. Or I'll just go to Target and get him now." I wouldn't have been so snide, but this woman was a serious b**** even before the issue with Cracken came up.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-10-2012, 07:45 AM
If I'd have been there in line behind you, I would've yelled "RELEASE THE CRACKEN TO HIM, LADY!" The awful nature of that over-used pun would've led her to sell you the thing at any cost/price.

It is sad that many employees either don't have the wits to think on their feet, or that employers don't have the confidence that they can do so, to keep customers happy. :( About simple things like this.

Oh, and I've seen none of these figures at any W*M, Target, TRU, or other store 'round here. Nor any evidence that someone had even cleaned out the wave there.

LTBasker
03-11-2012, 03:15 AM
All three Wal-Marts around here have stocked the wave, and yet none of them have it in the system. I don't quite understand why this sort of thing is allowed to continue. You'd think a store lacking the capability of selling merchandise they've obviously paid for and are expecting to sell would want to actually be able to sell it. Otherwise it's very counter-productive.

Although it's not the first time I've seen this happen. Back when Johnny Lightning released Speed Racer cars in anticipation for the then-upcoming movie, they weren't in the system - at least at the local Wal-Mart. We tried to buy the Mach 5 a couple of different times but were told each time that it wasn't in the system because it was recalled, so they denied any sale. Sure enough, though, when we went back the next time after each try, the Mach 5 was back among the rest of the increasingly dusty inventory. They stayed there for a long while, until finally on a third try (I think nearly 2 months had gone by) the Mach 5 finally rang up.

I just wonder if this wave will eventually stockpile at several Wal-Marts and then get clearanced out due to lack of sales? :p

El Chuxter
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Cracken was gone yesterday. They sold him somehow.

This seems like a system-wide issue this time. It seems like tidbits about upcoming toys or canceled releases in several different lines have a way of leaking from WM's computers. So how is it that a whole wave (and an anticipated one, at that--really, you can't tell me no one in WM's buying division knows SW and wouldn't recognize this) isn't in the system, and none of the cashiers seem to be smart enough to sell them.

Honestly, it clearly being company-wide (and still not dealt with), you'd think they could bring it up in their mandatory song-and-dance meetings. ("Probably not going to happen, but if someone brings up a Star Wars figure that isn't in the system, get someone to get an R2-D2 or something.")

El Chuxter
03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
With Q&A down, is there some way we can ask either Hasbro or WM what's going on?

bobafrett, I don't suppose you have a direct line to Bentonville?

Snowtrooper
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Found a lone Cracken at the WM today. It was the only one they had of this wave. I had a similiar experience when I went to the self check out. It didn't register a price and someone had to come over and enter that in. I was glad I didn't leave empty handed.

JetsAndHeels
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I've seen this wave in various stores, but haven't been interested enough to buy any of them.

Snowtrooper
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I got the Mon Cal rebel pilot and the sandstorm Leia & Lando off of a dealer at Amazon. They were $9.50 to $9.99 apiece, which isn't too far off retail. Now all I have to find is the Luke and I'm done with this wave.

tagmac
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I got the Mon Cal rebel pilot and the sandstorm Leia & Lando off of a dealer at Amazon. They were $9.50 to $9.99 apiece, which isn't too far off retail. Now all I have to find is the Luke and I'm done with this wave.

I got all three plus Cracken off amazon as well. Lucked out, as the dealer had them listed separately at $8 apiece, but (a rarity when ordering from secondary shops on there) actually combined shipping, so that I only paid about $10 more for the set. When you figure TRU sells the figs for $2, plus gas to get there, I pretty much broke even for a change.

Now, if only the Lukes would come down in price from $19.99 and up (the other four have also jumped since I got them as well), I might consider it, since I've seen nothing at retail, and don't have the time to make a million trips to the store anymore.

Snowtrooper
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
The guy combined shipping for me as well. It was $6.95 for one figure, but I ordered 6 of them and the shipping charge was around $10.50. I didn't think that was too bad of a deal considering gas prices.

DarkJedi5
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
So rumor has it the big gun that comes with Cracken fits somewhere on the BMF. Anyone try it out?

JediTricks
04-21-2012, 03:25 PM
It's been a month since we talked about these figures? Dang, that's awful. Where are these? I haven't seen hide nor hair, and looking at wave 3 and 4 case listings they're not in those! Instead wave 3 and 4 carry forward pegwarming Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Battle Droid, and Naboo Guard. Where are the Wave 2 figures and why aren't we seeing more of them in later waves??

DarkJedi5
04-21-2012, 06:51 PM
I never saw them on shelves but I got the wave from Brian's Toys. It's really why I order online, because I feel like if I did not, I would often miss out on entire waves.

El Chuxter
04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Never saw Lando or Luke. Which seems odd; this is, what, the 300th Jedi Luke in the past two years (feel free to correct me, JJL or JT :D), and Lando is always a pegwarmer.

LTBasker
04-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I haven't seen them since their first debut when they wouldn't scan. I just assume the walmarts here finally pulled them from the shelves because one walmart had one full set and another had two, but all of them vanished within the same weekend. Meanwhile, the TPM figures have been pegwarming something awful so it makes me further doubt that the ROTJ figures were suddenly bought up. There just don't seem to be any big spending SW collectors around here anymore. Even scalpers seem to have thrown in the towel, more or less, given that Ric Olie is a pegwarmer despite possibly not being rereleased later.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
I got Cracken about a month ago and the others three weeks ago but haven't opened them yet aside from Cracken (it's easier to open them at my family's house as opposed to my apartment due to eventually taking them there anyway, especially since I got all the Movie Heroes wave 2 figures at the same time and don't want lose anything from this mountain of figures). For some reason, this wave never really grabbed me like the TPM one did - maybe because I'd been waiting on figures like Ratts Tyerell and Ben Quadinaros forever and had only known about the Mon Calamari pilot's existence for a few months, Luke's robe is all wrong, and Cracken is kind of samey (especially since we literally got the same character - a more accurate version, no less - back in 2006).

Never saw Lando or Luke. Which seems odd; this is, what, the 300th Jedi Luke in the past two years (feel free to correct me, JJL or JT ), and Lando is always a pegwarmer.
It's the 400th, actually. :p Well, there have been quite a few different ROTJ Lukes in the last handful of years, including different basic carded figures in 2006 (TSC Endor gear), 2007 (TAC Jabba's palace), 2008 (TLC Sandstorm), 2009 (TLC box-chest DSII), 2011 (TVC Endor Capture), and now 2012 (TVC Lightsaber Construction), not to mention in various sets and releases. But this is the first basic one in five years to have the Jabba's palace tunic thing, so that's something.

I haven't seen them since their first debut when they wouldn't scan. I just assume the walmarts here finally pulled them from the shelves because one walmart had one full set and another had two, but all of them vanished within the same weekend. Meanwhile, the TPM figures have been pegwarming something awful so it makes me further doubt that the ROTJ figures were suddenly bought up. There just don't seem to be any big spending SW collectors around here anymore. Even scalpers seem to have thrown in the towel, more or less, given that Ric Olie is a pegwarmer despite possibly not being rereleased later.
Ric Oliť would have been a pegwarmer no matter what. :p

The lack of ROTJ figures and abundance of TPM figures is due in part to the crappy case assortment, which includes 7 TPM figures from the previous wave. If someone wants one of the figures, chances are that they want at least some of the others, so it's probably more likely that collectors just bought the wave when they found it. These things don't last long on the shelves when they're new, you know.

El Chuxter
04-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Because people are scared of his sheer bada**ery, JJL. A Ric Olie figure is something that frightens most people. Only those of us who are brave dare risk purchasing one. Even then, we worry we might find out wives or girlfriends cheating on us with the figure.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-22-2012, 02:14 PM
It's been a month since we talked about these figures? Dang, that's awful. Where are these? I haven't seen hide nor hair, and looking at wave 3 and 4 case listings they're not in those! Instead wave 3 and 4 carry forward pegwarming Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Battle Droid, and Naboo Guard. Where are the Wave 2 figures and why aren't we seeing more of them in later waves??I've never seen any of them in any store. I don't care enough to buy them online, unless it's a good deal on a figure (I'm not a case purchaser).

LTBasker
04-22-2012, 03:42 PM
The lack of ROTJ figures and abundance of TPM figures is due in part to the crappy case assortment, which includes 7 TPM figures from the previous wave. If someone wants one of the figures, chances are that they want at least some of the others, so it's probably more likely that collectors just bought the wave when they found it. These things don't last long on the shelves when they're new, you know.

Oh trust me, that's not the case around here. The TPM figures are in abundance because they haven't been selling, I see the exact same ones every time I go to either store. One walmart has had three Naboo Royal Guards for awhile from receiving one solid case of TPM figures and two cases of the ROTJ figures. There don't seem to be that many collectors around here, and ever since the figures hit $8 it's been pretty slow even for popular waves, especially since the other collectors around here only seem to get one of each figure rather than two for a MOC and loose collection.

Darth Metalmute
04-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I saw Lando, Cracken, and the pilot last week at Walmart.

2-1B
04-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I found these awhile back, qty 1 of each at WalMart...and never again since. I grabbed all 5 in my excitement but ended up returning Cracken later. Had I not seen them that one time, I would have never seen them.

Plenty of Naboo Soldiers and Quinlan Vos figures to be found, though. :grin:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I finally saw them in a store, today... in the hands of some guy who just cleared out the pegs before me. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2013, 05:14 PM
I also found them today at a TRU, and saw a report of them being spotted at Target. They're really reaching into the backstock!