PDA

View Full Version : iCloud

sith_killer_99
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Okay, so I've been spending a lot of time with my new iPod touch.

I went ahead and signed up for the $25 annual iCloud service which finds and matches previous purchases from iTunes. In addition to that it finds existing songs in your library (say, songs you have ripped from your CD's) and adds them to the cloud.

If you have a song ripped from a CD in 128 bit, iTunes will find the match in the iTunes library and add it to your cloud account. Later, if you want to add that song to another device...say your iPod, you can download the 256 bit version and add it to your device!

If you have a song that is not in the iTunes library, they will upload it to the cloud and store it as is (i.e. if it was in 128 bit it will be copied at 128 bit).

Also you can set up an iCloud email account and associate it with your iTunes account, access the account with your iPod, PC, iPhone, etc. The iCloud account is much more than email, you can sync your contacts, calendar, etc. from multiple devices. and access them from anywhere.

The other amazing feature is the way you can sync your contacts with facebook. For example, I ran the sync between my contacts and facebook and automatically uploaded profile images from facebook to my contacts!

I ran the iMatch for iCloud on my desktop as well as my laptop and sync'd all my songs and apps. I can download them to each computer or directly to my iPod.

In short iCloud and iOS 5 are amazing! I'm just hitting the tip of the iceberg! I love it, if this keeps up I will need to buy an iPhone!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Skynet thanks you for funding their future plans! ;)

JediTricks
01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
How is the battery life running ios5? I haven't updated my ipod touch 4 to it yet after hearing of battery life issues with the new OS. I guess you wouldn't have a frame of reference in the matter though, not having a previous ipod touch, but I'm still curious.

As for the cloud, do you spend enough time away from home but connected that it'll make sense? I don't take my ipod ANYWHERE so for me it was totally pointless.

sith_killer_99
01-17-2012, 04:50 AM
I have a G1 iPod touch (which now belongs to my son) and my wife has a G2 iPod touch (soon to have a G4 so our daughter can have an iPod touch).

Yeah, the battery seems to drain pretty quick using all the wi-fi stuff, facebook, twitter, safari, iCloud, FaceTime, etc. I never used wi-fi on my old iPod touch. I will have to ask the wife about her G2, she used wi-fi more than I, though I have far exceeded her with my G4 iPod. lol

In terms of normal use, I will let you know shortly.

I seldom use the wi-fi away from home, but I run iTunes on multiple PC's and like having access. It's just nice to know it's there. Also the fact that I can upload my non-iTunes stuff is nice. It pretty much negates the need for backing up my iTunes library to an external drive.

I will post more later.

JediTricks
01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Weird, I wonder why I thought you hadn't had a previous ipod touch.

Anyway, good to know. I haven't been thrilled with the ipod touch 4's battery life in general (it keeps a persistent wifi connection going which drains it off in a few days of just sleep mode) but I've heard putting ios5 on it makes it significantly worse, so I've been gun-shy about updating the software.

I didn't realize anybody liked itunes that much, that's pretty wild. PC or mac? I can barely run it on my PC, it's a bit unstable and a big resource hog.

El Chuxter
01-17-2012, 07:13 PM
uCloud?

Might I ask why uCloud?

(rimshot!)

figrin bran
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I paid the $25 for the iMatch/iCloud service and in spite of being able to upgrade a lot of your music tracks to higher bitrates, I've run into quite a few issues that shouldn't even be issues...

iMatch often won't match the album artwork. I've also had the play counts on some tracks revert to zero, interestingly enough it was mostly tracks I got from Amazon's mp3 store.

It has also done strange things to some of my playlists...For instance my "top 100 played tracks" is easy enough to set up but itunes matching transformed it into a massive playlist with over 100 tracks and the inclusion has nothing to do with play counts and I'm not sure how to fix it.

JediTricks
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
iMatch often won't match the album artwork. I've also had the play counts on some tracks revert to zero, interestingly enough it was mostly tracks I got from Amazon's mp3 store.itunes also has huge problems with album artwork, something to do with Apple's method of licensing not matching tracks you have on CD, so not only will artwork not appear if the corresponding song isn't in the itunes store, but if the album IS there and they licensed a different version then it'll treat it as not there.

El Chuxter
01-19-2012, 12:12 AM
iTunes has issues with different versions of album artwork (for instance, it loves to attach art for a deluxe edition, complete with "Deluxe Edition" prominently printed on it, to tracks from a standard edition CD), and occasionally likes to mix up album art once it's there. (There's nothing quite like seeing a 1970s Elvis album cover attached to GNR's "Welcome to the Jungle.")

sith_killer_99
01-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm a PC guy. In terms of usage, I am running a fairly new PC I built last year, I have a lot of resources at my disposal. Though I've never had any problems before with iTunes.

The cover art thing is a bit annoying. I bought Tune Up for my iTunes, and my wife has spent a lot of time building up the cover art for our library, music and videos.

iTunes is my primary player.

In terms of the iPod touch and the wi-fi, try.....settings > wi-fi > off.....that should take care of your problem. I'm not sure if that is how it is set up on your iOS, but iOS 5 allows you to shut it down.

The thing about an iPod touch is that you really have to customize usage, screen brightness, wi-fi, autolock timer, etc. can have a significant impact on battery life.

On a side note, I have owned several iPods and the scratches REALLY annoy me, so this time around I bought the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD full body coverage for front and back protection. It seems to do a great job, but unlike other basic screen protectors I've used before, the ZAGG has a distinctly "rubbery" feel to it. It's a bit weird and takes some getting used to, but the protection and significant reduction in messy finger prints is well worth the $25! Also I have not had any performance issues with the touch screen as a result of the screen protector.

What brand do you all go with for screen protectors, if any, or do you use fully body covers?

JediTricks
01-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a lot of resources on my PC, but somehow itunes eats them all and locks up anyway. itunes is NOTORIOUS for having a lot of PC problems, especially the interaction with the program that handshakes to the ipod itself.

Irony of irony... OH MY GOD I WANT TO MURDER APPLE RIGHT NOW! I just hit my keyboard's "media player" key and stupid itunes came online! I forgot that every time it does an update, it resets the setting to make it the default media player (that kind of behavior should be illegal, that is bordering on malware behavior) and now it wants another friggin' license agreement AND there's yet another program update! And it takes WAY too long to download its paltry 45mb, very annoying.

I can shut down wifi easily that way, but it shouldn't have to require ANY steps at all, it used to sleep and only bring up connection when requested up until the end of ios 3 -- one of the last versions of ios3 put in persistent wifi and CRUSHED wifi battery, then they fixed it in v4 and broke it again later. It's quicker to put it into airplane mode, but since I use my ipod specifically for wifi access, it's a big annoyance when looking things up to have to stop and take it out of airplane mode. So I leave it on and recharge every few days, but it's half the life it was on the older model when it was always on.

Apple has a lot of settings in the calendar and email that turn on when they're told not to, and a few old glitches where wifi-requiring features will turn themselves back on after turned off, so if you're a stickler you HAVE to turn off wifi (and some routers make that a whole different can of worms, Apple has a glitch where once you log off some types of routers, they won't reconnect, or will only reconnect for a few minutes at a time).

I've never had a screen scratch on either of my ipod touches, but I rarely took them out of the house (yet their chrome backs are scratch-magnets no matter how much you baby them!). When I took my ipod touch 3 to Comic-Con, I bought the cheapest static-clinging screen protector they had on Amazon and it worked great, but the edges at the sides and at the main button felt a little sharper so when I got home I took it off. I used more expensive ones on my mom's ipod touch, and they're pretty much the same (I won't use the adhesive kind though, they're bad for the screen in the long term), they work but are a nightmare to put on straight without bubbles which eventually peel up the unit, and they alter the image quality slightly which bugs me. For my ipod touch 4 and my HTC Evo 4G cellphone, I don't use screen protectors, and their glass looks great except for a tiny hairline scratch on my Evo from a gouge while I was moving and forgot to take my phone out of my pocket or turn it around, the phone resisted the damage but did take a slight scratch. The Gorilla Glass used on them seems to resist the hell out of scratches (the camera lens on my phone is quite scratched as gorilla glass isn't optical-quality) so I haven't felt the need to put protectors on. Plus, I never loved the slight drag that the screen protectors give on the touch experience, although the cheapest one I had eventually became about 90% as smooth as the glass after being lightly washed and used for a week.

I did recently learn a trick about applying the protectors though, do it in a humid room like the bathroom while running a hot shower, the humidity in the air keeps dust particles from falling on the screen which is the source of the bubbles (that and dirt, but you should have thoroughly cleaned your screen beforehand anyway). My first pass on my ipod touch 3's screen protector was a lucky shot, but my second time using one was a NIGHTMARE of bubbles no matter how much I cleaned it.

I don't use body protectors on my ipod touch, instead I rest it on a screen cleaning cloth most of the time, and when I expect any damage, I use a gel-style rubber case, these 2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041F0JA6/ref=wms_ohs_product (it's a touch more aqua than the picture suggests, but nicely clear. It does have a smooth slick outer surface and a little bit of a seam, but it's sub-$2 and with my Amazon Prime it shipped free)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042PUN8S/ref=wms_ohs_product (this one is satin in finish and while it doesn't look as good as the clear one, it holds in the hand better since it has friction, and it has smoother seams)

For my ipod touch 3, I used this case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TRJLSE/ref=wms_ohs_product
but supposedly, they make ipod touch 4 versions both top and side-opening models but both are too loose, so I didn't bother.

Quick question, would you buy the WHITE ipod touch 4? I had forgotten all about it, but they showed it on Amazon while I was looking through my old orders for those links, and I don't see the appeal. I know the old ipods were white, but the smooth black glass face of the touch series is quite striking, I think. Plus, with the unit off, the black integrates the front camera and screen great, while the white unit fails at both: http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/white-ipod-touch-compare-600-5.jpg
Maybe it could get away with it better if the back were also white the way it is on the iphone.

JediTricks
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I just came SOOOO close to updating ios to 5.0.1 on my ipod because I'm sick of the constant nagging messages, then I looked it up and apparently there are a ton of complaints about battery life in the toilet still. The problem is that at some point Apple is going to have another security snafu that can only be fixed by upgrading to ios5, but I think for now I'm going to stick with v4 anyway and tell itunes to stop asking.

sith_killer_99
01-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Well I can confirm, battery life is pretty poor. I charged up and went on a little shopping trip using Grocery IQ and after some extended use the battery died pretty quick.

Luckily I have a lot of charging options, usb port in the car, dual ipod charger alarm clock, etc. So it won't be a huge problem around here, going to the field I will need to buy an external battery back up.:Pirate:

JediTricks
01-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I can only charge off my PC, stupid Apple uses USB cables but not the USB format that comes with it, so no external chargers unless they're licensed from Apple, and all of those are so expensive.

My concern, beyond just running out of juice all the time, is that running it down and recharging it so often will kill its battery life. Batteries like these only have between 500 and 1000 charges in them at their best, and they're not user-serviceable. I bought an extended battery for my Android phone, $8.40 with the backplate, works very nicely; but in another year or 2 my ipod touch is going to be a brick even if I never get ios5.

I found out my mom upgraded her ipod touch 3 to ios5 and is miserable, says the battery doesn't stay charged for crap now, basically unusable if it's not getting attention every day. That is so disappointing to hear, I really hope they fix the problem for reals this time (the v5.0.1 update was supposed to address it, but didn't).

On a cloud-issue, I noticed my new game, Portal 2 on PS3, has a cloud backup icon of some kind when it boots up, and it slows down the main menu screen. "The Cloud" as a concept needs to be quicker than this! :p Great game though. PS3 in general has been moving towards the cloud concept, games used to be able to have their saves backed up to USB device, now they can only be backed up to the cloud and you can only get that service if you subscribe to Playstation Plus for $50 a year - kinda sleazy.

figrin bran
01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
So I looked into my problem with the playlists and did not find anything encouraging. A lot of users resolved their problems by turning itunes match off and just backing up to itunes and their computer like before. Argh, argh...

sith_killer_99
01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes, lithium-ion batteries deteriorate over time and heat contributes to that significantly. Replacement batteries cost about $20 and repair services charge another $20 do do the work, though it is possible to change them yourself, I do not recommend it unless you have experience working with electronics.

JediTricks
01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I have seen what it takes to change the battery on the ipod touch, just getting the face off looks ridiculously daunting, you have to use a heat gun! As for the place that does it for $40, you're not counting the cost of shipping it to them and then back to you. And the weeks of downtime that comes with. Apple wants $80 to change that battery but at least it's got a warranty there.

As for the playlists issue, I can't really speak to it at all, I keep it as simple as possible, with just 7 playlists installed from my itunes, nothing fancy whatsoever.