PDA

View Full Version : An unexpected micro haul

LTBasker
02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
So, around here comic shops are a rare thing and the closest thing we have to it is a chain of stores called Vintage Stock (http://www.vintagestock.com/). They don't have much in the way of a toy section and instead devote only endcaps and small bits of aisles to'em depending on how much toy inventory they've got. Generally it's a good mix of just action figures (Star Wars, Star Trek, Misc. Sci-fi & Comic figures, etc.) with Hot Wheels sprinkled in, but it seems recently they acquired a collection of Star Wars Micro Machine items. Notably several of the AF battlepacks, some that even have the extra figure included. They are not my haul, though.

The item I was most surprised to see, and most intrigued by in this mini-micro collection, was actually the X-Ray Fleet trilogy pack of painted ships w/ exclusive Imperial Shuttles. I had a $50 gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so $35 seemed like a fair deal as it's unopened (the original tape remains uncut) and it's only got mild shelf-wear. Otherwise, great shape for a 16-year old semi-rarity. I think it's a haul worthy of the MM board glory days. :D

Now I may have to pick up a MOC set of X-Ray Fleet wave 1 to go with it... doubt I'll try to get wave 2, though.

Edit: I really didn't expect to become so smitten with this set, but I can't stop staring at each vehicle. Even though we got all of these in the previous decade in Titanium form, I'm so impressed by the quality in paintwork and consistency that Galoob pulled off in an era that seems a lifetime ago.

Goldleaderone
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I had that set as a kid. If I remember correctly, the wings on Vader's TIE pop off. It was a very cool set, too bad I lost them all. I plan on re-buying it at some point.

I remember them being plastic and very light. They look about the size of titaniums, correct?

JediTricks
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Ha! Good find, I remember how much of a stink we made to find that set back in the day.

Gold Leader, they are plastic and very light and indeed the size of Titaniums (I believe the original Titaniums were based off those molds' prototypes).

Goldleaderone
02-11-2012, 10:48 PM
That's what I thought. I've seen them on ebay, usually ranging from $20-$30. My uncle used to work for Hasbro, and there was a big factory where they kept all the figures, ships, you name it. You could only get in if someone who worked there accompanied you. I went in once with my uncle and he bought me that set. Since then the factory shut down and he eventually got laid off after 20 something years there.

If I knew then what would be rare I would have stocked up haha.

Darth Duranium
02-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Nice get, LT! That's the Galoob JC Penney exclusive set, if I'm not mistaken. Many years ago, I got one at a local comic shop, which was kinda odd since we don't have JC Penney stores up here. Oh, the humanity!
Anyhoo, I think they did a great job on it, too. The TIE X1 and A-Wing are nicer than the Titanium versions, IMO. I like the paint on the Slave I as well.

Although they're very similar in size, they are entirely different moulds/toolings than the Titaniums (i.e. the TIE X1 and AT-AT are 25% smaller, A-Wing's fatter, Y-Wing has no turret, all have completely different detailing, paint, and dimensions) but they are identical to the X-Ray Fleet moulds, obviously. The Galoob diecasts were the direct basis for the Titanium Series; can't confirm if the X-Ray Fleet came before them as inspiration, as JT suggests. Probably so but it's all so foggy to me now... :cross-eye

Cool, GL1. Your uncle must have been real popular with the kids! I had a relative who worked for Hallmark so we used to get a huge box of free "Magic" ornaments every Christmas. The SW and Trek Hallmarks are what started my ship collecting. Did your uncle start off your ship collecting by taking you to Hasbro? Any Hasbro stories to share?

Goldleaderone
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
My ship collecting started from just going to K-Mart and buying my first AF ship, Porkins' X-wing. The rest is history :-P

Sadly I only went with my uncle to the factory that one time. The only other story really is he picked up a Dash Rendar figure that I was desperatly after at the time.

Thats the great thing about collecting. As a kid I thought I'd never get certain figures/ships I was always after. Now with ebay, amazon and these collecting websites its like "Ohh I want that, that, that.." etc lol.

LTBasker
02-12-2012, 02:41 PM
The Galoob diecasts were the direct basis for the Titanium Series; can't confirm if the X-Ray Fleet came before them as inspiration, as JT suggests.

I want to say when I got the X-Wing and Falcon X-ray sets way back when they were first released that it was before the die-cast series came out, but it's hard to tell because I never picked up any of the Galoob die-cast. Also, I'm getting very nostalgic trying to remember such things.

JediTricks
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Anyhoo, I think they did a great job on it, too. The TIE X1 and A-Wing are nicer than the Titanium versions, IMO. I like the paint on the Slave I as well. I have to agree on those, although I do like the Titanium Slave I as much.

Although they're very similar in size, they are entirely different moulds/toolings than the Titaniums (i.e. the TIE X1 and AT-AT are 25% smaller, A-Wing's fatter, Y-Wing has no turret, all have completely different detailing, paint, and dimensions) but they are identical to the X-Ray Fleet moulds, obviously. The Galoob diecasts were the direct basis for the Titanium Series; can't confirm if the X-Ray Fleet came before them as inspiration, as JT suggests. Probably so but it's all so foggy to me now... :cross-eyeThat's why I said based on the prototypes. X-Ray Fleet was the first SW spin-off from the MM line, well before the Die Cast line - I think the DC line didn't even come out until X-ray had run its entire course. X-ray were before AF even, I think X-ray were late '94 or '95.

Darth Duranium
02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
K-mart! We used to have those... now that's making me nostalgic for the Blue Light Special, GL1. ;)
My first AF was a Skyhopper that I found for a few bucks at Zeller's, another bargain store. I was most impressed with it.
I am a big fan of eBay myself: there's a world of punishment for your wallet just a click away!

I view the JCP Slave I as the pre-SE deco and the Titanium one as the post-SE version, JT. :) Another good thing about the Titanium is that it's poseable in flight mode... well, sorta.

Cheers for the X-Ray timeline guys, didn't know which came first.

Warstar
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I remember nabbing tha set! I was pretty stoked!

Granted Die-Casts nabbed me more after, but I do have a soft-spot for the X-Ray fleets...

Like I have a soft spot for the Babylon 5 Micro Machines! Now if only I could find them again :-P

JediTricks
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
The Die Cast Slave I's diagonal display hole is unfortunately a bit weak, mine broke after a few years in that flight pose.

I remember picking up Action Fleet Snowspeeder and... Vader's TIE I think, or maybe the X-wing, at TRU Burbank when they first hit. I remember checking them out in the car home and thinking how perfect they were for a collector like me, and wanting to get the others but not having the scratch. I remember too calling around town to track down the Slave I release, I finally got a positive at Mr G's for Kids toy store in Century Plaza mall which was quite a drive to get to from Hollywood since I wasn't driving, and I had been burned by a couple other stores on Slave I so it was such a joy to actually have something put aside for me that was so new (I bought its case mate too, but don't remember what that was). I think that's the last individual AF purchase I can remember making up until I ordered the TIE Defender, Sail Barge, and E-wing from Galoob Direct (no packaging!).

LTBasker
02-19-2012, 01:24 AM
The Snowspeeder was the first one I got as well! I remember finding them for the first time all laid out on the shelf below the rest of the Micro Machines and was allowed to get one. So, I got the Snowspeeder since it seemed the coolest at the time with having two pilots that could sit in it at the same time and be seen. I really wanted to get the Imperial Shuttle as well since it came with Han and Chewie, but a week later I came home from school to find it on the kitchen table. :D I don't remember the order in which the rest were purchased, but it always seemed like a steady stream of new vehicles (even Slave 1 didn't seem hard to find) since I was only picking up one at a time.

I think I stopped getting AF around the time the TIE Bomber came out and that seemed like the first one I couldn't find anywhere. By the time I managed to find it, I had stopped with AF since I think the price went up. Plus, aside from the alternate versions of the X-wings and Y-wings, it seemed like the Bomber was the only new one that I didn't have so it got a little boring hunting it down. So, I'm only missing the Bomber, the Sail Barge, Landing Craft, T-16, Blockade Runner, X-wing and Y-wing repaints, Rogue 2 Speeder, and, of course, the TIE Defender and E-Wing. The only TPM AF I got was the Sneak Preview set with the Gian Speeder.

cloneemperor
02-26-2012, 02:02 AM
LTBasker: I don't know if you're an opener or not, but if not you can see all the glory of these pieces right here (http://www.miniempire.ca/index.php?page=detail&cat=micro&type=veh&item=84).

First Action Fleet for me, like my first LEGO Star Wars, was the B-wing. I've always been partial to that design, and I couldn't resist when I saw that.

As to whether the Die Cast came first or the X-Ray came first, according to the copyright dates on the backs of this package (http://www.miniempire.ca/images/collecting/micro/veh/diecas/dcsandc02.jpg) and this package (http://www.miniempire.ca/images/collecting/micro/veh/xrayfl/xrayi02.jpg), the X-Ray was first by a year.

LTBasker
02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Those're really great pictures! It really goes to show just how dedicated Galoob was to paint and detail.

You could easily convince me this is a much larger model kit: http://www.miniempire.ca/images/collecting/micro/veh/colset/trilogy05.jpg

cloneemperor
02-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks! when I noticed that there wasn't a good site out there with detailed pictures of Action Fleet or Micro Machines, I decided to create one.