PDA

View Full Version : Blast Effects

Jek Porky 2002
03-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea for the blast effects on the new figures, I think the new style of lightsabers is great!
However they are a little exagerated, on the sneak previews for example Jango's are fine, perfect, Zam Wessel and Clone Trooper however are not, they are just that little bit over the top they bulge out too far and sort of break off in too many directions if you take my meaning sir! I hope Hasbro puts this right for the second lot of Attack Of The Clones figures!

LTBasker
03-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I don't like the blast effects on the lightsabers at least, the blaser effects are ok it's just the lightsaber stuff that's bad, well actually I agree on Zam's and the Clone Trooper's. The effects on those have too big of spikes on'em, like they were trying to do a muzzle flash or something. The blaster effects however could be much better, right now they're way too animeish, mesa hate anime. :frus: :( :cry: :dead:

PloKoon2385
03-07-2002, 04:44 PM
I think they look alright, and they are detachable right? So they are atleast more useful than the Jedi Force Files. I am glad we got something we can use. Even if we don't like them particularly much, they are something atleast!:D

Jek Porky 2002
03-07-2002, 04:47 PM
I was trying to think of something to describe what the blast on the clone trooper looks like, It looks like a big water pistol.

General Veers
03-07-2002, 04:59 PM
I like the blaster effects, it shows that Hasbro has put a little more effort into their packins then the previous Force Files:p

Beast
03-07-2002, 05:34 PM
I don't mind them, they are a little somthing extra for our money. I would still prefer dedicated figure stands with a lil sticker name tag for who the charecter is, but that doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen. I think the look of the new lightsaber blades is good also, gives them a little bit of life. They don't look just like a colored plastic tube now. It could be worse, they could have made the whole length look energized like that. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Starfig873
03-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Actually, I think the blast effects are perfect all around. The jaggedness is just to act as the blast's "flash" methinks.

Clonetrooper is the best IMO...I don't know why either..he should be boring as hell, but man, I love it!

Jayspawn
03-07-2002, 10:52 PM
I like the blast effects ok. As long as they can be removed. I still have yet to see the lightsaber ones.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2002, 08:25 AM
And they are HORRIBLE! I suppose they wouldn't be so bad, but the pointy ends that are the tips are so malformed and squiggly that they look like cherry coloured sperm attacking the ends of the blasters. Ew. Ew. Ew. :frus:

I am glad they aren't placed on the weapon in the package. I'm also glad I can dump them in the trash after I get the figure out of its little card and plastic prison.

pthfnder89
03-08-2002, 11:12 AM
JEDIpartnr : Don't throw them away! Argh! Send them to me if you don't want them! Seriously, I would pay for the shipping if you didn't want them; I customize a lot and I think they look pretty cool.

I like the ones I've seen so far. The only lightsaber effect I've seen personally is Shaak Ti's and it's alright. I like Plo Koons "force effect" better though.

I'm totally with JJB on this one; I like the fact that Hasbro is giving us something extra for or money. And it's actually something for the figure instead of boring slides or force files.

And for the most part I like the different efects. Some are definitely done better than others though.

droidekas2
03-08-2002, 12:50 PM
They look like yummy gummi candies to me. If I were a kid I might try to chew on one.

LTBasker
03-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I'm totally with JJB on this one; I like the fact that Hasbro is giving us something extra for or money. And it's actually something for the figure instead of boring slides or force files.

I would've gladly just of gotten a figure stand, kinda like the ones from Toy Fair, each one specially made to fit the figure on the stand, and with the bigger bubbles, it would've fit without any special help needed.

Casual George
03-08-2002, 06:17 PM
I gotta give hasbro credit for trying. Jango Fett's look way cool since he is in such an exaggerated pose, the blast effects make it look like a freeze frame from the movie. Not much playability but it looks great for display.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Jango's "blast effects" look best on the jetpack I think.;)

If you aim both arms down a bit and twist the waist so that he's facing front, THEN put the blast effects on the jetpack it looks like he's flying, from the trailer.

Maybe I'll get some fishing line and hang Jango from the celing along with the ships. hehehehe:D

PloKoon2385
03-08-2002, 06:44 PM
JediPartnr, I don't want to be negative or start an arguement, but I am curious as to why you are so very negative about Ep. II figures. Why is it?

sith_killer_99
03-08-2002, 09:06 PM
:crazed:

Starfig873
03-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Thank you for that insightful and most endearing post Sith_Killer.
;) :)

I'm such a smart arse :D :p

JEDIpartner
03-10-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
JediPartnr, I don't want to be negative or start an arguement, but I am curious as to why you are so very negative about Ep. II figures. Why is it?

Well... first off, I am not negative about ALL of them. I feel there are a couple of really good ones out there. Palpatine, Orn Free Taa, the Zams, Count Dooku... I haven't an issue with a LITTLE posing, but the "locked in one and ONLY one position" figures leave me a bit cold. Here we have a 20+ year legacy of action figures that were designed to be toys. Suddenly we are faced with a HUGE bump in the road where we are getting static statues that are being passed off with toy value added features. The problem with a lot of the value added features (i.e. pack-ins) is that they don't necessarily have anything to do with the figure in that particular pose.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a diorama builder. I like to take my little guys off the shelves and play with them from time to time. It's great stress relief. Sometimes I like to get out big sets like the Royal Starship and set them up in there. Imagine how STUPID that would look if all the Qui-Gons and Obi-Wans we got were in battle position... "We're all flying to Coruscant and if anyone does anything wrong, we're going to cut you up!" It's the same thing I said in another thread... Imagine if we only got the original Jedi Council members sitting. You couldn't have taken those and put them in an imaginary battle scene. That's the same problem I am having with the new Jedi figures. They are all in battle position and you can't do anything else with them. I'm sure Luminara Unduli isn't swinging her lightsaber around in the WHOLE film!!!

We've already heard from folks who have gotten Shaak Ti. They say she looks great, but really hasn't any articulation. What articulation she HAS is limited because of her pose, so they shouldn't have even bothered articulating her. I know... the old figures could only raise ONE arm with their weapon in it and it didn't look very realistic. Again... these were originally meant to be made and sold as TOYS... They were only supposed to represent the action not replicate one single moment of it.

So... NO I don't hate ALL of the AOTC toys... I just have a problem with the ones that should have been dedicated to a strictly "battle edition" line.

Jedi Drew
03-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Boy, JEDIpartnr-must of been a bad day at work?? Man, are you venting...:crazed: :crazed:

Dryanta
03-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks Sith killer.I guess I'm an idiot !! I didn't know they fit on the jet pack too.You're right it does look better.
I too agree with Jedi Partner on the pre-posed issue to an extent.
I'm torn because I really do like the look, but the Playability is gone.
the battle edition idea is a good one if you ask me.Pre-posed and neutral posed of each character.Never happen, but I think it's a good idea just the same

Dryanta
03-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Just looked at the card backs again.The posts for the blast effects aren't even on the figure pictured.
Maybe I'm not such an Idiot:rolleyes: after all.Thanks again

Beast
03-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
Just looked at the card backs again.The posts for the blast effects aren't even on the figure pictured. Maybe I'm not such an Idiot:rolleyes: after all.Thanks again
The blast effects fit on the preview Jango figure. That is the figure that has the posts for them. For some reason it's not a feature on all the jetpacks, as the removable helmet Jango doesn't have them. And neither does the Jango Fett: Geonosian Arena. But the Jetpack that comes with Boba Fett does have the posts, so you can attach them to his. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Yep, so we can put the jetpack on him, then put the helmet on him and voila! Boba Fett: Clone Daredevil. :p

sith_killer_99
03-10-2002, 06:00 PM
I looked at the pics on the card back, Fett is missing the posts that hold the blast effects, R3-T7 is missing the little half circle covers on his feet, and Zam has a gun in her thigh holster?!?!

Dryanta
03-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Looked again myself.
The gun in her holster is the pistol that's in the hand of the figure.
That's where I put mine.I took the elastic off and she won't hold it anymore:(

JediMaster
03-12-2002, 07:43 AM
... and you get a nifty electricity effect to pop over your dirty Artoo-Detoo to replicate the moment he gets blasted by the Jawas! Cooooool...

JediTricks
03-13-2002, 09:55 PM
As long as they don't lower the real accessory count and they remain removable, I think they're ok. The Jango Fett ones are pretty nifty, but the Clonetrooper's blast is warped on mine. I don't have the others, but these are executed fairly well.

LTBasker
03-14-2002, 04:46 AM
I think the best effects are:
The standard ones like which come on Jango, the Battle Droid, etc.
Shaak Ti's "ricochet" attachment
Typho's green blast effect, granted it appears to be just like the standard red ones, but it's GREEN, that's gotta be one of the only highlights of the figure, a unique blast effect. :cool:

The worst of course being the lightsaber, the Super Battle Droid's effect isn't bad but it's a bit too...I dunno. :D

JEDIpartner
03-14-2002, 08:42 AM
The Clone Trooper blast effect looks like a big blue ice crystal... not a blaster bolt. They've never looked anything like this in the films.

evenflow
03-14-2002, 11:21 AM
When I first saw them i did not liek the effects. Then I thought they were ok, now I am undecided. I think it looks ok on some, but not on others.

Obi-Don
03-14-2002, 01:00 PM
I think that they are OK as long as I can take them off. I hope that Hasbro will continue to make the blast effects that way. I'm not to sure about the lightsabers though. I guess I will have to take another look at them. I know I wasn't to impressed with them the last time I saw them.

Tycho
03-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Someone brought up the color of the blast effects and I thought I could contribute by adding something:

I think the Clone Troopers are using Ion Blasters which shoot blue (at least in video games) to disrupt the droids in the Geonosis arena. They also might be heavy stun blasts, so they don't kill any Jedi by mistake.

Naboo weapons, courtesy of Palpatine's homeworld, and also probably by no coincidence, Imperial ship weapons, shoot green. Might have something to do with harnessing Naboo's unique energy system we saw in the generator room where Maul died.

Most blaster effects, especially from BlasTech weapons, are red.

Lightsabers of course, depend on what is used for their focusing crystals. Sith use artificial crystals that always turn out red. Jedi go on nature-hunts in a sort of vision-quest type of ritual on the planet Illum, (or elsewhere) and whatever they find "through the will of the Force" determines their lightsaber color" - unless their favorite color is purple ;)

JediTricks
03-14-2002, 09:06 PM
Basker, I agree with you on the "ignite" effect on the new lightsaber beams, they really bother me, I don't like them at all.

JEDIpartnr, you're right, it doesn't look like a blaster bolt, it looks very much like a big crystal. I guess part of the problem is that the laser bolts in SW are just straight lines and the blasts are mostly round, bright muzzle-flash, not shaped energy explosions.

JEDIpartner
03-15-2002, 10:51 AM
If you were to have kept the "old" style lightsaber blades and then made the blaster bolts look like the "new" style lightsaber blades... it would have seem just a tad more accurate. That massive clump of plastice that attaches to the nozzle just looks wrong.

I know a lot of people had said they can't wait to get these into a diorama, but the more I thought of it, as I looked at the Clone Trooper with the blast effect lollipop on, the diorama would look rather silly. All of the blast effects are the same size for that figure, which would then make it look like all the troopers were firing all at once. That would be Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilly!:crazed: