PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro really needs to ramp up a variety of NEW Clone Wars characters

Tycho
03-05-2012, 06:47 AM
There are so many new characters to be offered - and old recurring ones in new outfits like the SCUBA gear.

But now we have the Nightsisters.

We have Ventress in a new outfit.

We have Riff Tamsen and the Mon Calamari characters.

The Senators have amongst them a lot of interesting choices and various aliens.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Hasbro's move away from this line sadly means that we'll not likely see many new or interesting characters in this line anymore. The fact that they are barely even cranking out the clone repaints anymore shows that their focus is elsewhere at this point.

Tycho
03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
The only "focus" I see (pertaining to Star Wars / CW that is) is to re-release the basic core characters to CW over and over again. It's got a lot to do with the economy I bet.

If this was 1997 again, we might have 100 new figures in the line for the year (50 CW, 50 Realistic). I exaggerate, but that's basically the gist of it.

The focus of Hasbro:

(SW): Ep. 1 realisitc - they did a nice job, but I'm not in the market for a lot of the core character figures except I love that new Queen Amidla in black, the R5 droid, Mawhonic, Ratts Tyrell, and others never made before.

Avengers (Marvel): the new movie will be hitting and product is shipping already I think. Movie product? I don't know.

GI Joe: the new movie will be out soon, I think.

Transformers Prime: though I understand they messed up distribution on the first wave there.

And they just did something by acquiring the Star Trek license.

And it looks like Hasbro's next Star Wars move will be to shore up the realistic license with OT and EU figures following this focus on TPM / prequel era.

Thing is, Clone Wars should have constant support while it's relevant. Those Trandoshan Hunters and Riff Tamsen all become more irrelevant as time passes, perhaps? As might the Nightsisters. But then again, it's Star Wars and we were just excited to finally get Bom Vimdim.

DarkJedi5
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Tycho, I'm surprised at you. As a diorama builder wouldn't you want them to drop this CW foolishness altogether and make all characters in one style - the realistic style? That's the biggest reason I do not buy CW figures (I do make exceptions for key characters because I figured we'd never see them any other way, though now that doesn't seem to be true) and I would think that having figures in two different styles would really limit a lot of the flexability you have when building dioramas.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I can't speak on any of Hasbro's non-Star Wars lines. But there are a lot of factors to consider:

*The show's ratings are not as strong as they used to be, from what I understand.
*Collectors didn't really warm up to the line for a very long time, meaning it is now reverting back to a kid-oriented line first and foremost as Hasbro feels that is the most profitable avenue.
*Lucasfilm only recently gave the go-ahead to start producing realistic figures from the show, so some characters will appear in The Vintage Collection.
*The big entertainment push for the year is TPM 3D. I assume AOTC will follow suit next year.
*The new Movie Heroes line is undoubtedly taking resources and figure counts that previously would have been used for Clone Wars.

Based on what was shown at Toy Fair, there are 34 new Vintage figures left to be released this year (including the sandstorm wave and the Evazan wave, which was supposed to be out in 2011 - not including the 10 new figures from the TPM wave), nine new Movie Heroes figures, and only six new Clone Wars figures (in addition to the three new ones from the first wave). There is undoubtedly more coming from each line in the second half of the year, but none of that has been announced yet. There will also be a few of the Class I vehicles with figures, and the year's one Clone Wars themed battle pack is already out. They could have easily diverted from TVC to put more resources into TCW, which it seemed like they had been doing off and on over the last few years, but the focus has undeniably shifted back to the films. I would absolutely prefer that they send some tooling money over to TCW instead of sculpting those completely unnecessary Bespin and Naboo battle packs, but I'm not really sure what they hope to accomplish at this point.

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Ultimately, I think the play pattern for Clone Wars has just run its course, toys are a fashion business as Derryl once said, and Clone Wars only has 1 source for its media, the kids who bought it and stayed with it are now more grown up and have moved on.

The OT has 6 movies to deliver realistic from and a greater impact on society. It doesn't surprise me that Clone Wars doesn't have the same legs, even the original Star Wars movies only had about 2 or 3 years in each of their original runs, so for CW to go 4 years is impressive enough.

Personally, I don't like many of the characters as figures that Tycho does, the Riff Tamsens and Nightsisters and General One-Shots, but I'm not making dioramas, I'm more from a play & display imagination perspective and there's nothing terribly imagination-driving about them.

Tycho
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Tycho, I'm surprised at you. As a diorama builder wouldn't you want them to drop this CW foolishness altogether and make all characters in one style - the realistic style? That's the biggest reason I do not buy CW figures (I do make exceptions for key characters because I figured we'd never see them any other way, though now that doesn't seem to be true) and I would think that having figures in two different styles would really limit a lot of the flexability you have when building dioramas.

I wasn't going to collect Clone Wars, DarkJedi, but when I had my Star Wars kidney transplant and our own BobaFrett here donated his kidney to me, Hasbro's SW Team sent each of us quite a carepack of goodies, all from BOTH 3 3/4" lines.

Evidently, the message was "Get well and buy more Clone Wars!" LOL

And there is started in 2009.

I enjoy the show, and wound up finding myself creating separate CW dioramas (no I don't mix figures from the lines) and I doubt I will buy realistic Ahsoka - though maybe 1 figure of her remains a possibility.