PDA

View Full Version : The New iPad

sith_killer_99
03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, Apple has unveiled the new iPad, no additional name, just the new iPad. I guess Apple has decided to keep it simple, more in line with their other products iMac, MacBook, iPod touch, etc. I'm sure accessory mfg's will denote the product generation like they do with the iPod stuff.

Anyway, now that we know to simply call it the iPad, on to the good stuff.

As with most new generations, the new iPad is essentially a bunch of performance upgrades.

The processor - Apple is running a new A5X chip. this is a dual core CPU with a quad core GPU. What that means is that essentially the brain is the same, but they gave the device more horse power where it was really needed, in the graphics department.

The display - The biggest reason for the bump in graphics processing power is to drive the new high definition retina display (2048 X 1536) twice the resolution of the current iPad, higher than any other tablet on the market. The new display also has increased color saturation, etc. blah blah blah. In other words it has better resolution than your HDTV and it is awesome.

The camera - Basically the new iPad will sport the same camera as the iPhone 4S.

Siri lite - The new iPad does not have Siri, it does however possess the voice dictation capability of Siri. this seems to make sense from a real world point of view. One of the chief complaints about the iPad is typing on the thing. The native touch keyboard is fine for casual typing searches, text meaasging, etc. However, if you want to create an actual document using some type of word processing program an external keyboard is a must. The dictation program may be able to do most of the heavy lifting, but I do not expect it to replace the need for a keyboard.

4G LTE - That's the good news, as well as Apple's claim that whenever you are outside the 4G network it will default to 3G world wide. The bad news is, you have to pick your provider before making the purchase! There are 2 models of each, one for Verizon and one for AT&T.

Hotspot - The new iPad will be able to serve as a hotspot for up to 5 different devices.

Battery life - Apple claims 10 hours, with 9 hours on 4G networks.

Size - 9.4 mm thick and 1.4 lbs. (.6 mm thicker and 40-50 grams heavier than iPad 2)

iOS 5.1 - Now available for download to your iOS 5.0 capable devices.

iCloud - Now supports movies and TV shows!

Price - Same as previous generations, with the iPad 2 seeing a $100 price reduction.

Release Date - March 16th

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 12:06 AM
It's called "The New iPad", which I think is dumb since they already have a product with that name. Just name it by year and get it over with.

It's right now cheaper to buy the ipad 2 than it is the ipad 1 on the Apple store. :p

sith_killer_99
03-08-2012, 12:16 AM
It's called "The New iPad", which I think is dumb since they already have a product with that name. Just name it by year and get it over with.

It's right now cheaper to buy the ipad 2 than it is the ipad 1 on the Apple store. :p

Yes the slides say "the new iPad" but in the new videos they refer to it simply as iPad. I don't think Apple is literally calling it "The New iPad". :highly_amused:

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes the slides say "the new iPad" but in the new videos they refer to it simply as iPad. I don't think Apple is literally calling it "The New iPad". :highly_amused:The gadget blogs I read say that the physical materials at the presentation were referring to it that way for now, so yes it'll be just 'iPad' on the box, but for press materials and how they talk about it, "The New ipad" is what they call it. Anyway, the machine looks nice, but I'm more interested in the price of the refurb ipad 2 going down to $350 from its release. I've decided not to get one though, it's just a toy, I'm not going to try to develop for ipad for my websites for right now, and a personal tablet for me would have to be Android (and especially the Samsung Tab 8.9, that thing is such a nice piece of kit!).

sith_killer_99
03-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I get what you are saying, yes everyone is refering to it as "the new iPad" to distinguish it from previous generations.

Android OS? Google is evil, they want to build an elevator to space, what more proof do you need? Driverless cars, sounds an awful lot like Skynet to me, so when the Terminators come, blame Google! :twisted:

Yeah, that Samsung is nice. Have you seen the new Asus PadPhone? they had a bit of success with their Transformer/TF Prime and decided to take it a step further. Now you can buy a smartphone that docks in a tablet which can dock in a keyboard, it's a phone-tablet-laptop! The up side is that each device has it's own battery and can greatly extend the life of your phone. If you want to make a call while using the laptop, you can. They built a stylus with on/off and volume buttons, hold the stylus to your ear like you would a phone and talk away!!! CRAZY! Forget about running multiple service plans for your tablet and phone! Nice.

But will it pan out or be another cool idea that just never got off the ground. Time will tell.

Simply put, I love iOS 5.1 (I updated last night), I am using the Apple cloud service with great success, iTunes in the cloud (now with movies!), etc. I can put all my documents in the cloud, update, edit, make changes and always have the latest greatest version. I still want a new printer with AirPrint so I can print directly from my iPhone, iPod, or (soon!) iPad.

On a side note, I am going all digital with my media, so an iPad is a nice fit for me. That's right, no more books, movies, music, magazines, comics, textbooks, etc. unless absolutely necessary! All digital all the time, my new moto.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Asus Padfone:

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-padfone-release-date-specs-stylus-headset-57617/

JEDIpartner
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
The New iPad for faster results when your iPhone or iMac has its iPeriod.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
JP, wow really?!?!?! That is so 2010! :playful:

The more ammusing issue is that Apple is being sued by Proview for trademark infringement for using the iPad name!

El Chuxter
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
It still has a touchscreen, right?

Call me when people remember that touchscreens suck and that fad is over.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Do you know of a tablet that doesn't use a touchscreen?

Touchscreens may not be useful on a laptop or desktop PC, but for tablets and smartphones they are a must. Touchscreen interfaces are the foundation of mobile operating systems like iOS and that other one Google came out with.

They aren't going anywhere, not for a while anyway.

Some university researchers are doing interesting work with a type of 3D interactive system that uses cameras...think Wii/PS3 Move/Xbox Kinect.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
JP, wow really?!?!?! That is so 2010! :playful:

Yes, really... I even said that in 2010. But the point is it's now faster 'cos it comes with wings. :)

El Chuxter
03-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Touchscreens just don't work properly for me. Maybe I've got a mutant power to not be able to use a touchscreen. Knowing that, I won't waste money on something that uses it, because there's no point in dropping hundreds of dollars on a paperweight.

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
I get what you are saying, yes everyone is refering to it as "the new iPad" to distinguish it from previous generations.I mean APPLE is doing that.

Yeah, that Samsung is nice. Have you seen the new Asus PadPhone? they had a bit of success with their Transformer/TF Prime and decided to take it a step further. Now you can buy a smartphone that docks in a tablet which can dock in a keyboard, it's a phone-tablet-laptop! The up side is that each device has it's own battery and can greatly extend the life of your phone. If you want to make a call while using the laptop, you can. They built a stylus with on/off and volume buttons, hold the stylus to your ear like you would a phone and talk away!!! CRAZY! Forget about running multiple service plans for your tablet and phone! Nice.

But will it pan out or be another cool idea that just never got off the ground. Time will tell.That is too kooky for me, but it is definitely a future-forward idea. I don't trust Asus to make my phone though, they have done good stuff but they always have little weird stuff going on too - you should see my unsellable netbook from Asus for a good example. The Transformer Prime is a nice tablet though, if it were significantly cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Tab, I'd probably buy it despite my distaste for the 10" format compared to the 9" format.

Simply put, I love iOS 5.1 (I updated last night), I am using the Apple cloud service with great success, iTunes in the cloud (now with movies!), etc. I can put all my documents in the cloud, update, edit, make changes and always have the latest greatest version. I still want a new printer with AirPrint so I can print directly from my iPhone, iPod, or (soon!) iPad.Until I hear that it's definitely fixed the battery problem, which it doesn't even claim to now, it just says "better battery life" which is too vague, I'm staying away.

As for the ios platform as a larger concept, I'm just not into how closed it is and how little information the user can actually have about what's going on in their device. The Android OS tells you what apps are using up your battery, lets you kill background apps and tweak how they handle their memory impact. I also really prefer the ability to move apps and content over to a microSD card, and to have a user-replaceable battery.

On a side note, I am going all digital with my media, so an iPad is a nice fit for me. That's right, no more books, movies, music, magazines, comics, textbooks, etc. unless absolutely necessary! All digital all the time, my new moto.Nearly all my books are on Kindle which I can read on my phone or ipod touch. But I don't like holding heavy devices, and the ipad at 1.4lbs is a bit too big and heavy for my needs.

The more ammusing issue is that Apple is being sued by Proview for trademark infringement for using the iPad name!Proview owns the name, they licensed it to Apple, and now are trying to claim they were fooled into selling it on the cheap. But it's not illegal for Apple to have bought it through shell companies, if Proview had wanted more money, they should have done their due diligence in finding out who their buyer really was first.

It still has a touchscreen, right?

Call me when people remember that touchscreens suck and that fad is over.So... nobody will ever call you again? Touchscreens suck for desktop computers, but for handheld devices they are the best input choice possible. Oh, here's another advantage of Android over ios though, on Android they have Swype keyboard which is a much more appropriate way of inputting text into a touchscreen, by not having to lift the fingers to move from key to key. iOS got it wrong by trying to emulate a typing experience with a touchscreen.

Touchscreens just don't work properly for me. Maybe I've got a mutant power to not be able to use a touchscreen. Knowing that, I won't waste money on something that uses it, because there's no point in dropping hundreds of dollars on a paperweight.What devices have you tried to use it on? I have a cheapie Android tablet I use for web development, it has a "resistive" rather than "capacitive" touchscreen - resistive screens are like those on the old Palm Pilots of the '90s, they aren't as precise and require a harder input to register touch, they are generally pretty frustrating to use as a touchscreen. My phone is a capacitive, as are most modern devices that aren't cheap junk, so they register touches cleanly and lightly. That said, not all capacitive screen devices are the same, where a high end phone like mine or an iphone registers and responds to touch instantly, a cheaper android phone or older windows phone might not due to an older OS or a lack of processing power to handle them. Go into Best Buy, try the ipad, the Asus Transformer Prime tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or 8.9, those are all quality touchscreen devices, and then you'll have a better experience and not come off like someone's old grandpa. :p

JimJamBonds
03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
...but I'm more interested in the price of the refurb ipad 2 going down to $350 from its release...$350! Interesting....I might have to look into that.

sith_killer_99
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Hd
$350! Interesting....I might have to look into that.

Actually, I just got back from HEB and they have recertified iPad 2's 16 GB WI-FI models for a rock bottom $329.99!!!

JediTricks
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Hd

Actually, I just got back from HEB and they have recertified iPad 2's 16 GB WI-FI models for a rock bottom $329.99!!!

HEB is a supermarket, right? Did it carry the Apple 1-year warranty? That's a really good price.

sith_killer_99
03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
They are like a Super Walmart, not quite as big, they have an electronics section. At the counter they had about 1/2 a dozen refurbished iPad 2's. As an authorized Apple retailer/reseller their refurbished iPads are covered under the standard 1-year Apple warranty.

Here's how it breaks down for me, by retailer including taxes:

HEB (refurbished 16GB Wi-Fi) $357.25
Apple (refurbished 16GB Wi-Fi) $377.79
PX (NEW 16GB Wi-Fi) $389.99

Using Apple as a baseline, that would be $20 off at HEB or $12 more for a brand new iPad 2 from the PX. The PX has the tax free advantage and under cuts new iPads by $10. I asked if they carried refurbished iPad since they price match, but that was a no go.

The PX is going to have the new iPad on Friday, but they don't know how many they will get for the initial shipment.

I will most likely go down and try to pick one up. If they sell out I will just buy a refurbished iPad 2 on Friday from HEB and wait for a later shipment of the new iPads.

JediTricks
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Oh, definitely get the new one over the refurb if you can. Or get the New new one. :p

sith_killer_99
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I found out this morning that I am getting promoted!

So yeah, iPad tomorrow! Probably the new new iPad. :silly:

Now I just need to decide which new iPad to buy. We don't much in the way of 4G access around here. If I really need to access the web I have my iPhone which I can use to download then share to my iPad, so I will likely stick with the Wi-Fi only model, either 32GB or 64GB.

I also plan on buying an Apple TV, since iCloud will allow me to access my movies and TV from my iTunes library!

TeeEye7
03-16-2012, 02:49 AM

Congratulations, sir! More stripes, bars, oak leaves, birds, stars?

JediTricks
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM

So yeah, iPad tomorrow! Probably the new new iPad. :silly:

Now I just need to decide which new iPad to buy. We don't much in the way of 4G access around here. If I really need to access the web I have my iPhone which I can use to download then share to my iPad, so I will likely stick with the Wi-Fi only model, either 32GB or 64GB.

I also plan on buying an Apple TV, since iCloud will allow me to access my movies and TV from my iTunes library!

Cool beans on the promotion! Seems like an ipad really isn't the proper level of celebration :D but I won't begrudge you it as long as you throw out some excessive orders at someone in order to get one. ;)

sith_killer_99
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
This thing is AMAZING!!! The screen is incredible!

I ended up buying a new ipad 32GB Wi-Fi in black. Store opened at 9 a.m. and I left at 2 p.m. It was very orderly and well done. For my first and likely ONLY Apple launch event I had a good time. I took pics and posted on fb and tweeted the event from my iPhone. Hahaha!

The PX had them for $10 below retail, tax free (around $50 savings) and zero interest for 1 year if you charge it on your STAR card (military post exchange credit card). So it worked out really well.

I will post more after I have had a chance to play around a bit.

Thanks for the well wishes on the promotion!

sith_killer_99
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Congratulations, sir! More stripes, bars, oak leaves, birds, stars?

Stripes...well "rockers" are what we call the ones on bottom, chevrons are the ones on top. I will be getting a new rocker. Which is kind of funny as I am getting a bit older and closer to retirement. I have also been put on assignment to the schoolhouse at Ft. Sam. to be an instructor. Yep, I will be teaching future BMET's (bio-medical equipment technicians).

JediTricks
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Killer, glad you got one and are digging it. Having it heat up yet in the left corner? That seems to be the current thing for it right now, there's always one thing for each launch.

sith_killer_99
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, here we go. My simple review of this new little device they call the new iPad.

The Good: Retina display, obviously, it looks fantastic when watching HD movies, updated apps, etc. Facebook and Twitter simply look amazing, as do iLife and iWork. Superfast graphics, running games, photo editing, etc. The camera is every bit as good as my iPhone 4S. Battery life, I ran my iPad on day one, out of the box and it got every bit of 10 hours, surfing, facebooking, tweeting, video (1.5 hours), downloading apps, etc (with a little juice left over). Now of course this is gonna vary depending on actual usage, more video, brightness turned up, etc. But for average use and watching a single movie it seems like 10 hours is more than reasonable.

Weight seems fine, I did not have an iPad 2 so I really do not have anything to compare it to, other than what I personally feel is comfortable. The weight seems fine to me, though I did discover that holding it for too long, corners resting in the palms of my hands did eventually become a bit uncomfortable, not surprising considering the shape of the corners. I ended up buying a leather "smart cover" for my iPad and found this to be easier for surfing, typing, etc. I can also use the stand to watch movies more easily. Holding the device in my hands for casual browsing, updating facebook, checking twitter, etc. seems to be fine, running it all day long becomes a bit much. lol On a side note, I did notice that the size/shape of the device lends itself well to me holding it with one hand, though it does get heavy after a while.

The Bad: Retina display with non-HD/non-updated apps!!! This was to be expected, HD displays are a double edged sword. It's kind of like watching a standard DVD on an HDTV, the resolution doesn't match and the image looks worse than it would on a SDTV. Most people get around this with an "upscaling DVD player" but for the iPad there is no such option.

This leads to the second major issue people will start to run into as more HD content becomes available, storage space! All those lush graphics take up more space. It is my understanding that Apple is on the verge of procuring more dense memory chips for their products. There were rumors running around not too long ago that Apple was going to offer more storage on the iPads, but the chips would not be ready in time for launch. Again, rumors (who really knows for sure?). In any event 16GB is NOT going to cut it for this beast. I would say that with the new device Apple needs to go 32GB minimum, then 64GB and 128GB for the high end model. The same rumors speculate that Apple will be releasing a 128GB model in perhaps 6 months (and dropping the 16GB model). They REALLY need to, as this will only become a bigger problem as more apps are upgraded for the retina display.

The Ugly: There have been reports of the new iPad heating up in the lower left corner resulting, in some cases, of the unit shutting down (going into "safe mode"). The shut downs have been very rare. This is not the first time that reports like this have cropped up. The original iPad and iPad 2 had similar issues, though those cases seem to have been related to using the device in direct sunlight or warmer environments. The reports I have read seem to be very specific about the location (lower left corner). A number of theories abound, bigger battery, faster GPU, screen brightness, etc. Additionally, some resolutions have been proposed, draining the battery all the way down and recharging it, lowering the screen brightness, etc. Still others have claimed that these ideas have worked, some claims seem to be pure anomalies, hot the first day then fine.

What I noticed was that indeed the device did get warm when using it and holding it in the lower corners, the left side a bit more than the right. However, I also noticed that when I held it in the palm of one hand the back as a whole got warmer. At no time did the device become so warm that I could not use it, nor did it shut down on me. I also noted that at no time did it become any warmer than my iPhone 4S has from time to time.

The simple truth is, not even Apple is exempt from the laws of physics (insert Newton joke here). Despite Tim Cook's bold pronouncment of the Post-PC world where computers are more portable and personal, there will always be drawbacks to portable electronic devices, power, performance, heat, etc. There is just no getting around it. The old iPad 2 had a 25 watt-hour battery and the new iPad has a 42.5 watt-hour battery. More juice is needed to run the quad-core GPU, the retina display, 4G LTE, etc. What this means is that charging time will be longer. It also means a heavier device and finally, it means more heat generated.

One thing I have done is to buy a "smart cover" which significantly reduces/eliminates the need to hold the device. As a result the device also runs much cooler. The reason is simple, heat disipation! Electronic devices consume power, the more power consumed the more heat generated. The more heat generated the greater the need for cooling. When you place a hand over the device you are essentially insulating the device, which prevents heat from disipating properly.

I just finished watching "The Immortals" using my smart cover and my iPad is very cool!

What people need to understand is that portable electronic devices are not meant to be super powerful computing devices. There is a reason that mfg's use ARM processors in portable electronic devices. They consume less power and run cooler than say an Intel Core i7. They also run at a much lower frequency (1GHz vs 3-4GHz in a desktop) which is why these portable electronic devices will never fully replace desktop PC's.

The problem for Apple is that, while their iPads, iPods, iPhones LOOK great, the overall design does not lend itself well to cooling, they are basically forced to use an inefficient method of cooling, these devices are bricks, the only real way to cool them is to use heat sink techniques to disipate the heat. They can't very well put a fan inside there, nor can they use water cooling, so they are stuck, limited by their own design. What this forces Apple to do is to strike a balance between performance (which generates more heat) and function, or the capability of the device to naturally disipate heat.

Apple has designed one of the most performance oriented tablet computers on the market, by definition, it will produce more heat. As such, owners will be required to pay closer attention to how they operate their new iPads. I'm not saying you CAN'T hold the thing in the corners and play with it for hours. I am saying you just need to be aware that you are likely to generate a bit more heat in those areas when you do so. Also keep in mind that heat is the enemy of all electronics!

Anyway, that's my take on the new iPad. Personally, I love it, despite any drawbacks it is still one of the best tablet's on the market.

JediTricks
03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
From what I've read, the heating is definitely a design issue, not an aberration or misuse, the device heats to 116 on its own and normal holding can heat it above its operating temperature. The CPU is over double the size of the old one's too, so the aluminum case has to dissipate more heat than before. There's also a charge issue, the battery being 70% larger it sucks down power almost as fast as it comes into the device. That's not surprising to me, but at the same time how are they going to get more power in through USB ports in the next time?

Here's Squaretrade testing the ipad 2 vs ipad 3... in a drop test! http://www.stuff-about.com/2012/03/new-ipad-2-fails-miserably-in.html
BRUTAL! I am impressed it kept working, but man, the heavier body of the new ipad does bad things to its screen in those falls.

I went to Best Buy yesterday (I bought a Galaxy Tab 8.9, BB has it on sale for $350 and comes with the $80 keyboard dock for free, I couldn't resist as I've liked the 8.9's layout better than any of the 10" tablets or the 7" tablets but it was too expensive until now) and they had a bunch of ipad 3s everywhere, but I couldn't tell the difference in the store between it and the 2. I had to turn them over and read the back to see that they weren't ipad 2s. I bet Apple runs out of those refurb ipad 2s pretty soon because of that, the budget consumers who don't care about LTE won't see a huge difference in the screen at the store. That said, comparing Android apps on my 4.3" phone screen to the Galaxy Tab 8.9" screen, I do see what you mean about some apps' graphics looking like SDTV on an HDTV, like sloppy and vaseline-lens.

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
SK99, or anybody with a tablet really, have you had yours checking email via push notifications? It's so weird having a tablet around the house, now my cellphone, computer, and tablet all make noises at the same time when I get a Gmail. If I weren't trying to keep my ipod touch's battery from disappearing daily, I'd have it on there too. :p

On the Galaxy Tab front regarding resized apps, it turns out the device has a zoom chooser, it can either stretch the whole app to fit, or it can zoom it to fit, and the difference is that one mimics how it'd look on a smaller screen so everything looks like garbage, the other anything that's rendered (buttons, playing cards) is rendered properly and the whole thing just fills the screen naturally - this is way better, even though sometimes you end up with a button at the top of the screen and then a lot of nothing until the bottom.

I contacted the Samsung CEO late last night regarding a Swype keyboard issue in the Galaxy Tab's browser because their regular support page was not working (it didn't have a way to submit the support issue because no devices were listed in the pulldown) and this morning Samsung corporate called me and left a voicemail explaining that they had a fix coming in April along with the ICS update - that was so cool! I only wrote to Steve Jobs once (regarding the aforementioned Ipod Touch battery getting drained fast due to persistent wifi) and never heard back, but I suspect those who did get the occasional email responses from him were at least as exciting as this.

I watched Netflix on it last night, pretty good but I must admit my hands did get tired of holding its 15 ounce frame for 50 minutes. I think tablets might be a lot easier to hold when you're engaged with doing something, I played Angry Birds Space on it (I was surprised to see that Galaxy Tab and Note users get their own level and get early access to 30 new levels) at least as long as that show and yet I didn't notice myself getting tired of holding it as often. Same with scrolling web pages, I think somehow doing something makes the tablet an easier format to use rather than passively holding it.

JediTricks
03-29-2012, 09:22 PM
They're reporting the battery thing is not an anomaly, it's a design feature the way all rechargeable batteries cycle when they max out so they don't get damaged or explode. As I understand it, the battery thing is that it doesn't get close enough to call "full", but I suppose this could be a reporting issue that some folks aren't understanding.

My tab beeps and lights up when it's done charging, I'm not used to that yet.