PDA

View Full Version : Who is left to be made on Vintage card that you'd be EXCITED about?

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Thinking about the line the way it is right now, I realize they've done almost everybody I could want in modern quality, and the recent waves don't have a lot of "wow! I gotta have that!" figures, just dutiful figures that really don't fire my passion. Part of that is the price increase to $9 / $10, figures I might have wanted to track down are no longer so compelling at such a high price.

So I wonder, which figures - both coming in the foreseeable future, and those who haven't been announced yet - would I really be excited to see coming out in this line?

Here's some off-the-cuff thoughts:

2-1B
the new Starkiller figure coming soon
shorter Luke Stormtrooper with a better head sculpt
exploded gimmicks R2-D2 based on the new, more accurate sculpt (almost any new R2 based on that sculpt would be welcome, I suppose)
a good new ANH Han
a good new ANH Leia
a good new ESB Lando with a good removable cloak
any Vader with better soft goods! (and better sculpting on the helmet, the upcoming ANH one's helmet sculpt isn't quite thrilling for me though)
Weequay
a new, much better ROTJ Emperor Palpatine
a new, better 3PO
maybe Uncle Owen, maybe not, I don't even know at this point how much I'd want that

And I think that's it. What about yours? And I mean EXCITED about, not just "yeah, I'd like to get that", not dutifully interested, really excited about.

El Chuxter
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Jaxxon. :)

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
That doesn't surprise me, but that's it, you have literally 1 figure that will excite you? That's kind of depressing.

Battle Droid
03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
All new sculpts, SA and soft goods where and if possible.

Nute Gunray TPM, AOTC, and ROTS (Daultay Dofine quality)
Rune Haako TPM and ROTS (Daultay Dofine quality)
OOM-9, Geonosis (including Commander), Pilot, and Security Battle Droid (VC Battle Droid sculpt, filled in holes for Pilot and Security, and Geonosis Commander & OOM-9's backpack hole filled in)
Destroyer Droid (SA, transformable if they could ever figure out how to do it.)
Tey How (Daultay Dofine quality)
Poggle the Lesser
Wat Tambor
Shu Mai
Tikkes (AOTC & ROTS)
Rogwa Wodrata (May be a little big for a VC card)
Passel Argente (AOTC and ROTS)
Denaria Kee (AOTC and ROTS)
Po Nudo
Po Nudo's Aide (ROTS)
San Hill
Darth Plagueis
Any other Neimoidians from the films, especially the named ones.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Watching the films lately, it becomes more and more clear that there really aren't many (or any) really exciting, completely new choices left to do. For TPM, since many long-awaited characters (for me, anyway) finally came out over the last few months, the best options left for that film are really Kitster and Wald, which are by no means great options. If there must be a problem in this line, the fact that they've already covered so many characters so well is a fine one to have. But it's unfortunate that the one new source of cool, constantly updating new designs - The Clone Wars - is all but being ignored completely at this point.

Of the 29 upcoming Vintage figures, only eight of them haven't been made in the modern line at all. Sure, I want the new Nien Nunb, but it's kind of an "Oh yeah, they haven't done him since 1997, might as well make him again" sort of thing more than real excitement. There was quite a lot of great stuff in the TPM Vintage and DTF exclusive waves, but much of the rest of this year just seems to be ticking the boxes rather than coming up with really great stuff.

As for the Vintage line itself, I only have a select few carded, but there are still a few I'd love to see on the card:
*Jar Jar Binks - he's thankfully coming this fall.
*Count Dooku - if the line continues to 2013, and if AOTC comes out in 3D, he's a shoo-in.

For the record, the ones I have carded are Grievous, Cody, Yoda, Gree, Mace, Jango, Qui-Gon, TPM Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul - the prequel characters on this card excite me more than the OT ones, for whatever reason.

bigbarada
03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Let's see, as for announced figures, I'm pretty excited about:
Kithaba
Weequay
Nikto Skiff guard
Nein Nunb
Pruneface
Dr. Evazan
Lumat

I'd also love to see all of these figures on vintage cards (all-new figures only, no repacks or repaints of existing versions):
Barada
Yotts Oren
Klaatu (vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard)
Squidhead
Yak Face
Ree Yees
Bib Fortuna
Vedain
Velken Tezeri
Vizam
Taym Dren-garen
A-Wing Pilot (human)
Amanaman
EV-9D9
Han Carbonite
Pote Snitkin
Cantina Band Member
Muftak

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Destroyer Droid (SA, transformable if they could ever figure out how to do it.)Yeah, I felt this was unimaginable so I forgot about putting it on my list. I'm not sure they need more articulation than it already has though, what are you thinking it still needs?

Watching the films lately, it becomes more and more clear that there really aren't many (or any) really exciting, completely new choices left to do.That was my theory as well, unfortunately.

But it's unfortunate that the one new source of cool, constantly updating new designs - The Clone Wars - is all but being ignored completely at this point.Agreed, I find that frustrating.

Sure, I want the new Nien Nunb, but it's kind of an "Oh yeah, they haven't done him since 1997, might as well make him again" sort of thing more than real excitement.This is so how I feel, I want a new Nien Nunb and I'm really glad they're getting him done now, but there's something unexciting about his pending release, it's dutiful rather than exciting.

*Count Dooku - if the line continues to 2013, and if AOTC comes out in 3D, he's a shoo-in.What about the existing ones doesn't do it for you?

Let's see, as for announced figures, I'm pretty excited about:
Kithaba
Weequay
Nikto Skiff guard
Nein Nunb
Pruneface
Dr. Evazan
Lumat

I'd also love to see all of these figures on vintage cards (all-new figures only, no repacks or repaints of existing versions):
Barada
Yotts Oren
Klaatu (vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard)
Squidhead
Yak Face
Ree Yees
Bib Fortuna
Vedain
Velken Tezeri
Vizam
Taym Dren-garen
A-Wing Pilot (human)
Amanaman
EV-9D9
Han Carbonite
Pote Snitkin
Cantina Band Member
MuftakYour list is predictable, BB. ;) I almost put Evazan on mine, but I realized that it's another case of being a "dutiful" figure, like WHY THE HELL HAVE YOU TAKEN SO LONG TO GET THERE THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AGES AGO sorts of things.

I almost put Taym Dren-Garen on my list, I actually had him there and realized that a figure of him wouldn't excite me so much as fulfilling the role he portrays in the film, the guy who shot Luke in the hand.

EV-9D9, I would definitely like a new version of her! Han Carbo too.

Battle Droid
03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I felt this was unimaginable so I forgot about putting it on my list. I'm not sure they need more articulation than it already has though, what are you thinking it still needs?

Ball-joints, this might help in getting them to fold up.

Edit: Make that Ball-hinged.

El Chuxter
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Truth is, I don't care about the packaging at all. :)

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Ball-joints, this might help in getting them to fold up.

Edit: Make that Ball-hinged.
Ball-hinged what though?

Ok Chux, ignore the card, that's what I do. So you're just in it for the 1 long-shot, long-eared figure?

Battle Droid
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Every joint be ball-hinged.

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 10:07 PM
But in the film, none of the joints are like that, they're all hinges except the 3 "hips", and the spine. I think the problem is that hasbro hasn't put the bendable spine on a figure with the other joints and a joint in the "head", which is what it'd take to get a transforming Droideka (along with 2 more hinges in the "chest" that they've only done on the Mega Action Figure that was 7" tall).

Battle Droid
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I was thinking it could be more compact with the ball-hing joints when folded up.

tagmac
03-27-2012, 11:19 PM
With Slave Leia already out there, the one figure who, for some strange reason, never made it into the original vintage line:

Grand Moff Tarkin!

Along with him, ANH Owen and Beru Lars are also must-haves.

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 11:37 PM
With Slave Leia already out there, the one figure who, for some strange reason, never made it into the original vintage line:

Grand Moff Tarkin!

Along with him, ANH Owen and Beru Lars are also must-haves.Yeah, Tarkin, I forgot about him, that figure looked really good except for the overly green uniform. I was on the edge of being thrilled about getting him.

I was thinking it could be more compact with the ball-hing joints when folded up.I don't think they actually need to make it more compact, the arms already have tons of free bending, it's just the piston that is a problem on the arms. The spine needs to be able to bend farther, that's one of the main problems, and the rear leg needs to be able to fold forward as far as it can go - I don't think they've done that joint in a way that will do that, it always has gone the other way. Finally, there is 1 joint I forgot they've never done, they've never hinged the back plates, but that's a stupidly-simple friction-bump hinge IMO. I think they just need to get the head to bend at the "neck" and the "spine" correctly, decide how to get the arm piston to either do something or fold away (they can't just keep discarding it from the design, that bugs the crap out of me), and everything else is doable using existing technology.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2012, 01:09 AM
What about the existing ones doesn't do it for you?
Nothing, really - there have been a few really good Dooku figures. I was just referring to the Vintage cardback, is all. They could re-release either the Evolutions one or the Geonosis Arena Showdown version (same figure, different head) and I'd get it to keep carded, though I wouldn't hate one more crack at a newer headsculpt to entice loose-only collectors in the way that the TVC repacks currently aren't (and throw in a more to-scale Death Star hologram while you're at it, I guess). Since now that they're doing Jar Jar (and have found space for shoulda-been-in-Vintage OT figures like Tarkin, Slave Leia, and Tantive IV Trooper), Dooku is the only figure that I really feel like they should absolutely include in the Vintage line that they somehow haven't yet.

There are still several figures that would get me jumpin' for joy - the recently revealed Corpsey and Kneesaa are proof of that. I was just keeping this thread for Vintage-only entries.

JediTricks
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Nothing, really - there have been a few really good Dooku figures. I was just referring to the Vintage cardback, is all. They could re-release either the Evolutions one or the Geonosis Arena Showdown version (same figure, different head) and I'd get it to keep carded, though I wouldn't hate one more crack at a newer headsculpt to entice loose-only collectors in the way that the TVC repacks currently aren't (and throw in a more to-scale Death Star hologram while you're at it, I guess). Since now that they're doing Jar Jar (and have found space for shoulda-been-in-Vintage OT figures like Tarkin, Slave Leia, and Tantive IV Trooper), Dooku is the only figure that I really feel like they should absolutely include in the Vintage line that they somehow haven't yet.Oh, I see, you're on the cardback aspect, ok. I was thinking more the actual figure aspect, which is why I didn't get it.

There are still several figures that would get me jumpin' for joy - the recently revealed Corpsey and Kneesaa are proof of that. I was just keeping this thread for Vintage-only entries.Corpsey makes you jump for joy? I mean, it's an interesting choice, but at the end of the day he's just another Ewok, it's not like they're going to sculpt him slumped over with a hole in him. That'd be so awesome. :p

Don't take the "vintage" part too seriously I guess, I only referred to it because this is the definitive "realistic" line right now. You can use it as much or as little as a guideline as you see fit.

El Chuxter
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Packaging aside, I'm mostly at the "obscure" point. I want some EU characters from 1978 up through about 2007. Corran Horn in Jedi robes (not an X-Wing Luke re-release with a new head) is probably top of my list.

bigbarada
03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Your list is predictable, BB. ;)

Yeah, I've been actively campaigning for Skiff Guards for going on 10 years now. In fact, it all started right here on this very forums back on September 1st, 2002 with this thread:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/14098-Skiff-Guards-you-have-work-to-do-Hasbro

So, to see Hasbro finally paying some serious attention to my all-time favorite subgroup of Star Wars characters makes this a really exciting time for me.

In terms of vehicles, I would love to see a new A-Wing and an all-new, correctly-scaled Tatooine Skiff packaged in vintage-style ROTJ boxes.

JediTricks
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Packaging aside, I'm mostly at the "obscure" point. I want some EU characters from 1978 up through about 2007. Corran Horn in Jedi robes (not an X-Wing Luke re-release with a new head) is probably top of my list.Are those obscure characters exciting prospects for you? I think I remember you being miffed with the wrong Mara Jade and Corran Horn shown in the Hasbro voting pics, that kind of passion can translate to excitement.

Yeah, I've been actively campaigning for Skiff Guards for going on 10 years now. In fact, it all started right here on this very forums back on September 1st, 2002 with this thread:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/14098-Skiff-Guards-you-have-work-to-do-Hasbro

So, to see Hasbro finally paying some serious attention to my all-time favorite subgroup of Star Wars characters makes this a really exciting time for me.

In terms of vehicles, I would love to see a new A-Wing and an all-new, correctly-scaled Tatooine Skiff packaged in vintage-style ROTJ boxes.I didn't say there's anything WRONG with you being predictable. ;) That's funny that your whole movement started with that one post, cool find!

Vehicles are another matter for me altogether, they largely keep me going these days when I'm not that excited about new figures. A new A-wing would be nice, I'd like to see a Class 2 X-wing (I'd love to see one with sounds, even if it's just subtle retooling to the existing '77 X-wing like rotating the cannons the correct way and getting a real droid socket going). A new Skiff that wasn't so rickety would be nice. Some more landspeeders and airspeeders would be cool (ot and pt). A nicer OT Y-wing is probably asking too much.

LTBasker
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Well, my Vintage line collecting has stayed pretty focused to only collecting those that have actual vintage origins and so I'm pretty excited for any upcoming figure that further completes the count for those. However, there are non-vintage line characters that I've been dabbling in since they've been too good to pass up, and in that regard I'm really looking forward to Tarkin and Dr. Evazan. Especially Tarkin since I find it amusing. I KNEW they were full of it back in '06 when they said the ROTS Tarkin would be the last new Tarkin ever. ...I just had to wait 6 years to be proven right...

The only original-vintage figure that's getting a new release on vintage cardback that I'm a bit iffy on is the Emperor's Royal Guard. It looks great and all, but I feel it's ridiculous that they continue to fail to give him a hand to properly hold the pike. Just include a hand with a cupped grasp and call it a day! The POTF2 version was the last one that could hold the pike in anything resembling a natural pose. On the opposite side, though, I am most looking forward to Weequay since he was one of my favorite figures back in his debut year and I've been waiting for a new version of him for a long time.

As for what I feel is left to be made... well, I want any figure that was originally released on a cardback in the vintage line, including new versions of both black AND white Bespin Guards with their own unique cardbacks. Though, of those, the one I would be most excited for is Han in Carbonite. There's been some very cool reveals in the replica community with details of the Carbonite block in the past couple of years and I would like to see Hasbro make one that's as accurate as possible. I think they could do a very good job with it if they do their homework.

As for non-vintage originals, well I would really, really, really like to see a new Dash Rendar as well as Leebo and Guri finally made as figures. But, most of all, figures from Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2. I swear I could retire from collecting if they made the DF2 Dark Jedi characters and 8t88.

'Course, it would be my luck that they would make a whole wave of just Dark Forces figures, but it would be the last of the vintage line and they'd all become exclusive to ebay. I still have yet to get the phase 1 or phase 3 versions of the Dark Trooper. -_-

JediTricks
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Where did they say they weren't doing Tarkin in '06? I checked Q&A archives but couldn't find anything like that.

The Royal Guard has an odd requirement to hold the pike in the movie, it's vertical against his shoulder in a rather unusual way: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/28/RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/4f/RoyalGuard_EpII.jpg
I'd personally like to see a figure that can do that, but it'd require a separate forearm or it'd look really bizarre when not holding the pike, like he's throwing gang signs.

A new Dash, Leebo, and Guri are so unlikely that I forgot how exciting they'd be if they came out. They're definitely on my list, good call! Heh heh, you are so right about what would happen with those Dark Forces figures.

El Chuxter
03-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Honestly, with the exception of Callista Ming, any 1978-1999 EU character who's never been done before would excite, if done properly. Just no more Republic Commandos, KOTOR, or Legacy crud.

Heck, I could get excited about frickin' Senior Anthropologist Hoole and those two brats, the "good" EU well seems to have run so dry lately.

LTBasker
03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Where did they say they weren't doing Tarkin in '06? I checked Q&A archives but couldn't find anything like that.

I want to say it was brought up at SDCC or Toy Fair. I honestly can't remember where it was said, but I'm absolutely certain they said that because I remember reading discussions about it. Although, I thought ROTS Tarkin came out in '06, didn't realize he was released in '05. It might have even been when that Imperial Officers boxset came out that had an OT Tarkin using the ROTS head.

The Royal Guard has an odd requirement to hold the pike in the movie, it's vertical against his shoulder in a rather unusual way: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/28/RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/4f/RoyalGuard_EpII.jpg
I'd personally like to see a figure that can do that, but it'd require a separate forearm or it'd look really bizarre when not holding the pike, like he's throwing gang signs.

Well, then they could always just include a alternate forearm, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility given what they did for Ponda Baba.

JediTricks
03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Hoole, from Illustrated SW Universe? Taking it as extreme as it gets!

'06 Comic-Con would be the year before I went, I have a few quick notes that Steve sent me from the Hasbro panel, including Marvel Tarkin but no mention of it being the last Tarkin ever. I'd love to see the exact quote tho', any idea if any of the sites published it?

Unfortunately, Hasbro has gotten really gun-shy about alternate body parts, which sucks since there's a lot of custom poses that can't be had even with the most super-articulated figures.

LTBasker
03-30-2012, 05:25 PM
No luck so far after some googling. I'm really, really... kind of... certain I didn't just dream it. :p I'll keep looking and post it if I find it.

JediTricks
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
I checked every source I could think of and while there were 2 Tarkins mentioned at that Comic-Con panel, I could not find anything that said they were not going to do another one later.

The only Q&A answer I could find that could be in any way construed as being what you're going for is this one we got November 3rd:

Q: In a recent Q&A you stated it's important that Cantina patrons have bendable knees because many were sitting. With that said, why don't the figures in Death Star Briefing pack have bendable knees? If I remember correctly these guys were all sitting down, besides Vader and maybe Tarkin.
A: The difference there is that we have produced the Cantina bar elements and we needed to be consistent with that. For the Briefing set, we went largely with character tools we had available to us at the time we created it. We thought it was more important to go for this set this year because we might not have had a window to do it down the road.

Alternately, there were answers about Jerjerrod and other officers that said they weren't going to be updated, is it possible you mistook them for Tarkin?

El Chuxter
03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Hoole is indeed the guy who "wrote" one article (and its very pompous introduction) in that book. He was also the star (with two human orphans who called him "Uncle Hoole," IIRC) of the Galaxy of Fear series. I think he supposedly "wrote" the Essential Guide to Creatures.

JediTricks
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
They expanded Hoole from that first chapter of the Illustrated SW Universe to a whole series of fiction stories and an Essential Guide? That's a heck of a thing.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2012, 09:05 PM
They expanded Hoole from that first chapter of the Illustrated SW Universe to a whole series of fiction stories and an Essential Guide? That's a heck of a thing.I think the Galaxy of Fear YA book series came first. I know the creatures guide was after both. And, as a shape-shifting Shi-ido, he could be anywhere!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I think the Galaxy of Fear YA book series came first. I know the creatures guide was after both. And, as a shape-shifting Shi-ido, he could be anywhere!
Wookieepedia sides with JT on this one, and thus I do as well. I never read the Galaxy of Fear books and I tend to forget about them quite easily. Wait, what was I talking about again?

They could put Hoole in a set of in-universe author figures, but any pack where Ebenn Q3 Baobab is the main selling point has to be pretty crappy. :p

JetsAndHeels
03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Are there plans to make a Vintage collection Chewbacca figure?

JediTricks
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I think the Galaxy of Fear YA book series came first. I know the creatures guide was after both. And, as a shape-shifting Shi-ido, he could be anywhere!Nope, Hoole first appeared in Illustrated SW universe, I remember it clearly because the only EU at the time was the Zahn trilogy, then Illustrated SW universe was the opening of the EU floodgates coming off that Zahn trilogy, everything kinda funneled out from the Zahn trilogy and through Illustrated SW Universe and then Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels was the harbinger of the first real strong wave after that of novels. There was a very small amount before ISWU but it was really just Thrawn stuff that resonated, then ISWU, everything else was treading water at that time, then around ISWU we got Young Jedi Knights and then from there we got EGtVV and Rogue Squadron books and then Galaxy of Fear and SOTE. At that time, I was super broke so I was getting the books from the library, and ISWU blew my mind by telling compelling stories using fantastic concept art, while the Zahn trilogy was able to break through SW's future without losing its foundation.

Are there plans to make a Vintage collection Chewbacca figure?Huh, now that you mention it, I can't think of one. I'm not sure what they could do to make a new Chewbacca figure exciting for me, we have ROTJ and ANH Chewie using the Vintage level of quality and on vintage card already (well, the ROTJ one anyway, the ANH one was in the Early Bird set which has even more vintage cred in my eyes). What would do it for you with a TVC Chewbacca? Just having it on card again, or would it need an update, or would it be having the ANH figure on single card be what you're looking for?

JetsAndHeels
03-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Huh, now that you mention it, I can't think of one. I'm not sure what they could do to make a new Chewbacca figure exciting for me, we have ROTJ and ANH Chewie using the Vintage level of quality and on vintage card already (well, the ROTJ one anyway, the ANH one was in the Early Bird set which has even more vintage cred in my eyes). What would do it for you with a TVC Chewbacca? Just having it on card again, or would it need an update, or would it be having the ANH figure on single card be what you're looking for?

I am pretty happy with the versions of him that I own, including the CW version. I asked about Chewie because most of the main characters have been done, or are planning to be done, but I have not heard anything about releasing him in the series. My question was mainly out of curiosity.

Of course, if they did some type of new Vintage-style Chewie on a new card (and I liked the card art) I would probably consider getting one. If they threw in the net with the dissassembled 3PO I definately would get it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-31-2012, 11:35 PM
That's interesting - even though they had Chewie in the 2004 VOTC line-up, he hasn't been in the newest incarnation. I guess people are supposed to be satisfied with the 2002 one in the Rebel Heroes battle pack. :p Even though we have 97 Hoth versions, I really like the iconic image of him looking at the camera, and would definitely buy that to keep carded if they put it in Vintage.

Speaking of disassembled C-3PO, I really want to see a much more accurate version who doesn't just separate cleanly at the limbs, and has a blast mark on his chest. I really want one that can do the "delusions of grandeur" pose (though I'm not sure how he's supposed to be holding his leg in the film, but whatever), and that would be another fantastic image for a Vintage card.

I keep editing this post when I get new ideas. :p

As for other card images, I'd like to see the ROTJ Vader card art reused for the new line. But what I REALLY want is a ROTJ Vader whose hand splits off at the proper point, to have the unmasking scene be accurate (as no figure has properly done since the 1998 version). To pair the figure and the image would be ideal, though an unmasked Vader image could be cool too.

Boba Fett has been covered in a ton of different versions, though (at least) two remain - the ANH SE version (which isn't THAT different, but isn't the same as either ESB or ROTJ) and the version depicted on the Vintage card. I mean the paint scheme from those test shoots, where one gauntlet is red and one is yellow, and he has the circles on his gloves. I'd especially like that one, as it's sort of how the vintage version was painted, and now that we have the all-white Fett, well, why not.

bigbarada
04-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I also wouldn't mind seeing a non-gimmicky R2-D2 on a Star Wars card. No pop out panels, no periscopes or electronic sounds; just a basic R2 with a retractable third leg on a card with his original 1978 card photo.

While they are at it, they can repack the 2010 3PO on a Star Wars card as well.

As for Chewie, I'd like to see the VOTC one get rereleased, as is, on a ROTJ card with the second photo (which was actually from ROTJ). If they were to do a Star Wars version, they could use the VOTC body, but I'd want an entirely new headsculpt (I've never been a big fan of the Early Bird Chewie sculpt).

Droid
04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
There are a few already announced, such as Evazan, Kithaba, vintage Nikto, and Lumat that I am excited about. But setting aside those that are already confirmed, and recognizing that I will always be excited about any cantina, Jabba's Palace, or skiff/Sail Barge release, these are the figures that would REALLY get me excited:

1. Tonnikas (good luck!)
2. Ranat
3. Shasa Tiel, Jabba's Palace Ishi Tibb
4. Taym Dren-Garen (Come on, he SHOT Luke!)
5. Sgt. Doallyn
6. Sim Aloo
7.-10. Cliegg Lars, Kister, Wald, a proper sculpt of the Emperor when announcing the formation of the Empire
(There are so few prequel figures I want.)
11. Uncle Owen, a New Hope resculpt
12. Sy Snootles based on the puppet, not the Special Edition (good luck!)
13. The Lars Farm Power droid
14. White Bespin Guard with mustache liked the vintage figure

It has been an extremely good run. That is Hasbro's problem right now I think and it is a compliment to them, not something they did wrong. We have almost everything.

I do agree they sure could do a better ESB Lando with removable cape, but I can't say I'd be excited about it.

Setting aside the cantina and Jabba's Palace, which could still be mined, there is less than 10 that could get me excited. As I said: Sim Aloo, Cliegg, Kitster, Wald, the Emperor, Owen, Snootles, Power droid, and Bespin Guard. And we've had 2 other dignitaries, other Emperors, other Owens, a Snootles, a power droid, and three other Bespin Guards. It's like Cliegg, Kitster, and Wald are alone as REALLY not having been done in any form, and I'll only ever be about 50% as excited about a prequel release as something I want from the original trilogy. And I skip all EU, including Clone Wars.

There are others I'd buy, and when there is product on the shelves, I still make purchases, but if a diehard like me can only specifically list 14 figures other than those already announced that he'd get excited about, that makes thing hard for Hasbro. And none my 14 are "main characters". The only ones I listed with dialogue are Kitster, Wald, Cliegg, and the Emperor. There are no characters left from the Original Trilogy with dialogue that I would be excited buying a figure of! If others are even less excited then me, that is a marketing challenge for Hasbro.

JediTricks
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
The last Lando is too short, I hadn't realized that for a while because I always thought Billy Dee was shorter than 6', but he's not. So the figure has uninspiring arm articulation, is too short, has a permanent cape, and a sculpted collar. Considering how important he is to that story, I would definitely be interested in a better figure. I can understand though not being terribly excited, there's something snorey about Lando figure releases.

The Tonnikas would be on my list if they weren't so unlikely. :p

Sy Snootles puppet version, good call! That's a figure very few non-hardcore collectors would get excited about, but I know many folks who would.

So what happens from here for Hasbro then? Do we just limp to the finish line? Do mainline figures get mixed back into the Movie Heroes line to carry their releases longer? Do we admit we have to keep buying new sculpts and accept non-exciting figures both main and secondary?

Lord Malakite
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Sy Snootles puppet version, good call! That's a figure very few non-hardcore collectors would get excited about, but I know many folks who would.
Next thing you'll want is pre-CGI replaced/deleted scene "fur coat human" Jabba the Hutt from ANH. :witless:

Droid
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Next thing you'll want is pre-CGI replaced/deleted scene "fur coat human" Jabba the Hutt from ANH. :witless:

I would buy that without hesitation. I would be happy to put him in both my cantina and Jabba's Palace dioramas.

Droid
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
So what happens from here for Hasbro then? Do we just limp to the finish line? Do mainline figures get mixed back into the Movie Heroes line to carry their releases longer? Do we admit we have to keep buying new sculpts and accept non-exciting figures both main and secondary?

I am baffled they seem to be backing off the Clone Wars. It is not my cup of tea, but it seems like there are a lot of good figures ideas there to be exploited.

I think Hasbro still has some good years even if people like me aren't excited. I still buy a number of figures I didn't know I wanted until they were announced, or resculpts that I think improve an existing character I already have. I will make purchases for an interesting accessory.

I don't think Hasbro's biggest problem with collectors like me is that I am not excited or that there aren't many "new" ideas left. It is that there is never anything to buy. I know I don't understand the toy world, but if they would release a new wave every two months, I would always be on the hunt. As it is now I can go months without stepping foot in a toy aisle.

I do think they should ditch Movie Heroes and just have either Vintage carding (new releases) or Legends or whatever they want to call rereleases.

And they could get me excited. But there is no information to get me excited. I know I don't understand the toy indsutry, but I have always thought in today's internet world these conventions as the basis for getting out information is insane, particularly because we always end up finding out most of what will be announced beforehand and complaining there was nothing new shown. I am convinced once every two weeks Hasbro itself should announce on its web site a figure that is coming even if it is next year. And kiling the Q&A has been a real buzzkill. Them answering questions and giving us information made us feel ownership of the hobby, like we were a part of the conversation. It's like they don't want me to be excited.

I hate the way they run the Fans Choice polls. The last couple of times it ends up being a figure that is EU or a video game and that doesn't quite seem to ring true as the collecting communities top choice. I would believe Jocasta was the top choice for collectors before I would believe Mara. I really think they could make it more fun if they would take the top OT choice, the top PT choice, and the top EU choice. Or maybe during one six months let us pick the next cantina alien. Then let us pick the next Jabba's Palace character. Then someone from a video game.

And they have to keep up quality. I don't know the number of times I was in a store and said, "Gosh, that's a nice Luke, or Vader, or whoever" and bought it on impulse though I had the character so I could take it home, open it up, admire it, and perhaps put it in a diorama to replace a now inferior sculpt.

I think it would be suicide to just release the top fan choices all at once. And I have learned about their model and accepted it over the years, but it seems like the problem isn't a lack of product choices. It is perhaps an interest in other Hasbro toy lines more than Star Wars, a product placing problem, and an information release problem.

I can't speak as to what they should do with releasing prior figures, but I think they could continue with the existing model for new figures - some main characters, some background characters, a droid, an alien, a Jedi, on the pretty Vintage packaging. And doing that, I'd buy figures that don't excite me, but that I want. But they have to get product in the store and share information.

Lord Malakite
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I would buy that without hesitation. I would be happy to put him in both my cantina and Jabba's Palace dioramas.
I probably would too. But come to think of it, I'd probably also buy "pre-CGI removed" Episode I C-3PO/Anthony Daniels and "pre-CGI replaced" JarJar/Ahmed Best. Now that is what I call bottom of the barrel scraping. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2012, 01:42 AM
I probably would too. But come to think of it, I'd probably also buy "pre-CGI removed" Episode I C-3PO/Anthony Daniels and "pre-CGI replaced" JarJar/Ahmed Best. Now that is what I call bottom of the barrel scraping. :D
If it were a TPM version, then the Anthony Daniels figure would be miles away from the C-3PO figure, in a sound recording booth. :p

Devo
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I haven't posted in quite a long time, mainly I'm on Sideshowfreaks these days, was kinda surprised I remembered my password! I've sorta gotten out of the habit of checking Star wars forums ever since I moved to a smaller place where I can no longer display my SW collection. Still buying OT stuff though...not that there seems to be much of it anymore.

My list would be much the same as BigBarada's. As ever its Jabba & cantina related characters that excite me. Just bought the deleted scenes figures and like JT has mentioned they were a kind of 'dutiful' purchase.

edit - oh and ewoks.

Lord Malakite
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
If it were a TPM version, then the Anthony Daniels figure would be miles away from the C-3PO figure, in a sound recording booth. :p

Not quite that far. :p

During filming of The Phantom Menace, Industrial Light & Magic Chief Model maker Michael Lynch built a puppet that was used to portray C-3PO's unfinished appearance, with Daniels providing the character's voice. C-3PO's motions were realized by Lynch acting as a puppeteer dressed in a full-color suit, at times on-set with the other actors and at others filmed against a green screen. Daniels remained off-camera and delivered the lines, guiding Lynch's movements as he brought the puppet to life.
Make for a decent two/three pack. Anthony Daniels off to one side and Micael Lynch in his green screen suit with the Bunraku puppet C-3PO attached to him. :D

And of course you could have an Episode II-VI version of behind the scenes C-3PO with Anthony Daniels face exposed and arms unplated. Yes, this is shaping up to be a nice toy lineup. :D

"Star Wars: Behind the Magic" Wave 1

Anthony Daniels as C-3PO (Episode II-VI; take you pick of which version you'd want to see made)
Micael Lynch as Episode I Bunraku puppet C-3PO (possibly a two pack with Daniels)
Sy Snootles puppet
Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks
Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
Fur coat "human" Jabba the Hutt
Kenny Baker as R2-D2 (with removable R2 head/lid)
Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker (perfect excuse for those who want to see a "non-spirit Shaw" version of Anakin updated to fit the modern line).

JediTricks
04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Next thing you'll want is pre-CGI replaced/deleted scene "fur coat human" Jabba the Hutt from ANH. :witless:Heater? Heck yeah I'd buy that! He looks right for many OT locations and he has awesome behind-the-scenes heritage.

I am baffled they seem to be backing off the Clone Wars. It is not my cup of tea, but it seems like there are a lot of good figures ideas there to be exploited.Originally it was Lucasfilm who wanted the animated line separate from the realistic line, Hasbro didn't want that, I wonder if Hasbro finally convinced LFL to drop the concept due to weak ancillary sales and mold reusability. Or maybe it's just another example of Hasbro milking the annual turnover of the kid market who aren't as particular about new molds over old.

I think Hasbro still has some good years even if people like me aren't excited. I still buy a number of figures I didn't know I wanted until they were announced, or resculpts that I think improve an existing character I already have. I will make purchases for an interesting accessory.

I don't think Hasbro's biggest problem with collectors like me is that I am not excited or that there aren't many "new" ideas left. It is that there is never anything to buy. I know I don't understand the toy world, but if they would release a new wave every two months, I would always be on the hunt. As it is now I can go months without stepping foot in a toy aisle.
I am in that same boat where I might buy a figure just for a cool accessory, but it's a lot less often now that the figures are pushing $10.

They currently are on the "every 2 months" track, I believe, and it's still a total mess finding stuff, hence the need for repack in later waves, but then they do stupid stuff like repack obvious pegwarmers (Queen Amidala!).

I do think they should ditch Movie Heroes and just have either Vintage carding (new releases) or Legends or whatever they want to call rereleases.

And they could get me excited. But there is no information to get me excited. I know I don't understand the toy indsutry, but I have always thought in today's internet world these conventions as the basis for getting out information is insane, particularly because we always end up finding out most of what will be announced beforehand and complaining there was nothing new shown. I am convinced once every two weeks Hasbro itself should announce on its web site a figure that is coming even if it is next year. And kiling the Q&A has been a real buzzkill. Them answering questions and giving us information made us feel ownership of the hobby, like we were a part of the conversation. It's like they don't want me to be excited.That's how it used to be in the '90s, but the team really didn't have the passion and the reveals lost excitement quickly, and then they started running late and falling behind. The good thing about conventions is there's a twice-a-year schedule to it and they get to talk directly with fans; the bad thing is when one event has almost nothing to show.

I hate the way they run the Fans Choice polls. The last couple of times it ends up being a figure that is EU or a video game and that doesn't quite seem to ring true as the collecting communities top choice. I would believe Jocasta was the top choice for collectors before I would believe Mara. I really think they could make it more fun if they would take the top OT choice, the top PT choice, and the top EU choice. Or maybe during one six months let us pick the next cantina alien. Then let us pick the next Jabba's Palace character. Then someone from a video game. Fans choice is obvious a voice for non-collector fans, folks who don't get those EU and game figures they want to see, but it is annoying to pit types of fans against each other.

And they have to keep up quality. I don't know the number of times I was in a store and said, "Gosh, that's a nice Luke, or Vader, or whoever" and bought it on impulse though I had the character so I could take it home, open it up, admire it, and perhaps put it in a diorama to replace a now inferior sculpt.Good point, although I'd argue that even now we're still having pretty notable quality issues for such a high pricepoint.

I probably would too. But come to think of it, I'd probably also buy "pre-CGI removed" Episode I C-3PO/Anthony Daniels and "pre-CGI replaced" JarJar/Ahmed Best. Now that is what I call bottom of the barrel scraping. :DJar Jar is easy, I've seen customs using existing Jar Jar heads and the Ahmed Best AOTC figure. Daniels in the unitard behind the puppet though, that's inspired. I would have to buy it. :p

I haven't posted in quite a long time, mainly I'm on Sideshowfreaks these days, was kinda surprised I remembered my password! I've sorta gotten out of the habit of checking Star wars forums ever since I moved to a smaller place where I can no longer display my SW collection. Still buying OT stuff though...not that there seems to be much of it anymore.

My list would be much the same as BigBarada's. As ever its Jabba & cantina related characters that excite me. Just bought the deleted scenes figures and like JT has mentioned they were a kind of 'dutiful' purchase.

edit - oh and ewoks.Hey, welcome back! Good taste. :D

Sucks to hear about your collection, I totally feel the same way right now after my move, it really is rough to feel as stronlgy once it's not easy to display.

Not quite that far. :p

Make for a decent two/three pack. Anthony Daniels off to one side and Micael Lynch in his green screen suit with the Bunraku puppet C-3PO attached to him. :D

And of course you could have an Episode II-VI version of behind the scenes C-3PO with Anthony Daniels face exposed and arms unplated. Yes, this is shaping up to be a nice toy lineup. :D

"Star Wars: Behind the Magic" Wave 1

Anthony Daniels as C-3PO (Episode II-VI; take you pick of which version you'd want to see made)
Micael Lynch as Episode I Bunraku puppet C-3PO (possibly a two pack with Daniels)
Sy Snootles puppet
Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks
Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
Fur coat "human" Jabba the Hutt
Kenny Baker as R2-D2 (with removable R2 head/lid)
Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker (perfect excuse for those who want to see a "non-spirit Shaw" version of Anakin updated to fit the modern line).

Kenny Baker IMO is a must before the line ends. The list is all great, but I like your deviousness with Shaw/Anakin and Sy Puppet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-05-2012, 03:18 AM
They currently are on the "every 2 months" track, I believe, and it's still a total mess finding stuff, hence the need for repack in later waves, but then they do stupid stuff like repack obvious pegwarmers (Queen Amidala!).
Their carry-forward choices can indeed be baffling, but which Amidala are you talking about? The current TVC one is only in the first TPM case; she isn't in its revision, or wave 2, 3, 4, or 4 R1.

El Chuxter
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I would strangle a cute, fluffy bunny rabbit for Heater.

JediTricks
04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Their carry-forward choices can indeed be baffling, but which Amidala are you talking about? The current TVC one is only in the first TPM case; she isn't in its revision, or wave 2, 3, 4, or 4 R1.I thought they were carrying the current Amidala figure forward in wave 3 or 4, I could be wrong. They are carrying a few of the Ep 1 figures forward that don't need to be though, Qui-Gon and Quinlan Vos are both borderline pegwarmers and hardly army builders.

I would strangle a cute, fluffy bunny rabbit for Heater.Like this one? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon ;)

El Chuxter
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Only if they made both on Vintage cards at the same time. ;)

Lord Malakite
04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
By all means JT, feel free to share that suggestion toy list with Hasbro at Comic-con. I'd like to hear their reaction/reply about it. :D

JediTricks
04-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Remind me around June of this thread and I just might.

Tycho
04-18-2012, 03:01 AM
They have

Nom Anor (multiple figures up to 4 or 5 of him maybe)

Kithaba (multiple figures up to 4 of him or maybe more)

The Nikto Skiff Guard (perhaps a few)

Galen Marek (maybe 1-2)

The Female Bounty Hunter (maybe 1-2) - She's useful as Siri Tachi, Obi-Wan's adolescent Jedi girlfriend, right? Years later in Jedi Quest when he's training Anakin, he re-encounters Siri. The problem is, she's undercover investigating a slaver gang and the Slaver captain is someone Anakin knew to be cruel to him and his mother when he was a toddler. Anakin sets out on a course to murder him (and he does) as Obi-Wan loses control of the situation, partially distracted by Siri. Of course, in the end, everything is made to look like Anakin's kill was justified. Most of us would say it was, but probably not the Jedi Council.

And that's about all I'm interested in.

TheDarthVader
04-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Any ewoks, Taym Dren-Garen, Sgt. Doallyn, Sim Aloo, any other rotj figures that have not been made yet.

Devo
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey, welcome back! Good taste. :D

Sucks to hear about your collection, I totally feel the same way right now after my move, it really is rough to feel as stronlgy once it's not easy to display.

Thanks JT! I disappeared again there because a whole bunch of great news for Terminator fans (my other favourite series) happened to come the very day I posted what you responded to here.

But anyway yeah you nailed it there. A collection out of sight is kinda out of mind aswell. And I have no expectation of being able to display it again any time soon. Nevertheless I want to keep up with all the obscure OT characters and if Hasbro ever make them - a larger desert Skiff and Jabbas Sailbarge. Pretty much no point in me buying anymore X-wings and snowspeeders etc. Vehicle reissues I'll probably skip from now on.

I've got Kithaba, Evazan and the new Hoth Luke on the way from BBTS and I'm thrilled that we're getting a new Weequay hunter and the vintage.....nikto? (I can't remember please no one kill me :black_eyed:)