PDA

View Full Version : Irrational fears

Jargo
03-07-2002, 09:51 PM
I was just thinking while in the shower and really trying hard not to get water on my face and induce a panic attack, that it was such an irrational thing to be scared of - a few droplets of water.

Admittedly it's a fear of drowning caused by a horrible accident. When I was a youngster, my dad was bathing me and I slipped under the water and got wedged between the sides of the bath as I thrashed around in a panic.
My dad was a doofus and couldn't figure out how to stop me thrashing and I was under for about a minute before he managed to think it through and drag me out screaming.
So I have a real fear of water and especially on my face, that although I can control it, is still irrational to a degree. I'm stood in the shower not under water and yet the water induces a state of panic.

I have a couple of similar fears that are just as strange but I want to find out if anyone else has any. And how does it affect you? I'm not really looking for solutions here as it's not intended to be a sob story or self help group therapy thing. I was just wondering, that's all.....

And nor is this intended as a foray into mocking anyone with fears. In case anyone was thinking there may be a catch here. There isn't. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
03-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Hey Jargo,

Have you ever seen Unbreakable? Maybe your near-drowning experience makes you a superhero too. ;)

My irrational fear is that Alanis Morisette will write another song like "Ironic" but misuse the title's meaning. :eek:

Dar' Argol
03-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Well e-jargo, here it goes. I have 2 fears actually. The first is a frear of hights(sp) which is caused by a fear of falling. When I was 7 yrs old and at my sitters in Baltimore MD, we(me and the other kids watched at the time) were playing w/our G.I. Joes out back. She had a very large oak tree in the back yard, it was about 30 or so feet tall. We started to climb it like we always did. One kid dared me to go to the very top of the tree. Well, being the 7yr old that I was I was not going to back down from a dare. So I started to climb. I got about 10-15 feet from the top and I stopped to look down at the other kids(who were cheering me on). At that point the world stopped. The 2 inch branch I was standing on disappeared! It broke under me, and it sent me head first to the ground. I was screaming the whole time down and I thought I was going to die when I hit. At the last second, b/4 I got through the last section of branches, I spotted one near me. So I just threw my hands out, caught it, swung back into an upright position, and hit the ground on my back, knocking the wind out of me! If it wasn't for that chance luck of catching that branch, I would not be here typing this today. Even now I have serious problems going up high. At one job I had to climb up 12 foot steel bins in a warehouse. The first couple of months I would sweat BUCKETS everytime I was up there. And it was silly because I knew I was safe and I knew I was not going to fall, but I sweated worst then a pig over and BBQ flame with an apple shoved in its mouth!! I also visited the National Tower in Gettysburg, PA before they blew it up(25 minutes from my home). I had never been there b/4. Let me tell you, I was never so happy to get back on solid ground!!! It goes up like 150 feet or something. I don't know, I couldn't pay attention to what they were saying.

The other fear I have is called Mellisaphobia. It is the fear of bees. When I was younger my mother always told me the story of how she fell into a wasp nest. Every summer for as long as I can remember I heard this story. It instilled such a fear in me that if I hear anything that SOUNDS like a bee, I scream like a little school girl! A bee once landed on my chin!!!! I never knew my voice sould go so high!! I darn near had a heart attack on the spot! I have been getting better over the years though. Now they can buzz around me without me screaming and running around like a loon. I can tolerate it for about 5 minutes, then I get jittery and lose it shortly there after.

So don't feal bad about panic attacks in the shower. . . . .unless. . . did you hear a buzz . . . . :eek:

bigbarada
03-07-2002, 10:12 PM
I have a severe fear of heights, even when I'm just standing on a chair to change a lightbulb I have to have something to hold onto or I freak out.

Because of this, I don't like to be in tall buildings and I hate flying. When I tell people that I have sworn off flying anywhere, they just assume I'm panicked because of 9/11; but I resolved never to fly again long before that.

Only being recalled by the Army would get me to fly again (which is a possibility until 12 March 2003); but then only because I have to.

Rollo Tomassi
03-07-2002, 10:40 PM
I have a fear of anything doing nasty painful things to my eyes. Like getting sliced across the eyeball with a razor. Stuff like that. I am over protective of my eyes.

LTBasker
03-07-2002, 10:49 PM
I usually have a fear on alot of stuff because whenever I think about something like something sharp my mind always has to race and I think about what could happen, what it would feel like and stuff like that. Dunno why it just does.

My biggest fear though; Spiders. Especially with living in Oklahoma, you usually have to be very careful with dark spaces that people don't often go around and stuff, just thinking of a spider walking with those 8 legs just gives me the willys...

I'm also afraid of heights, flying, being in water you can't see through, stuff like that.

dr_evazan22
03-07-2002, 10:52 PM
I forget what the name of the fear is, but its of confined spaces.

When I was 7 or 8 I was with a camp group exploring a cave. We had to crawl thru a space that was just enough room to get thru. I didn't make it; I froze, then backed out and exited the cave.

Then when I was 26 I was in Hawaii diving (for the first time). It wasn't REALLY deep, and the water was crystal clear, but I got down about 25-30ft. The combination of water pressure and limited air supply freaked me out again.

What's weird, for me, is that I'm a volunteer FF (that's firefighter, not freeze frame) and have had training in SCBA usage. I could tell by my breathing that something was wrong, then the pressure on my ears just did it for me.

Emperor Howdy
03-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Oh my....this is an easy one: PALMETTO BUGS.......:eek:

For those of you who live in Florida, I know you understand. They are like the Grandaddy of all roaches......the Super Roach, if you will. The Lucifer of Roaches. With their spiked legs and "false-eyes" armor. They invade the sanctity of your home at night...."tink-tink"...."crinkle-crinkle"....only to scatter and retreat into the smallest crevices at the first click of a lightswitch.....simply because the unholy monsters can flatten themselves out to squeeze into or under seemingly impossible spaces. Then...as you relax watching T.V.,........."fliiiiiit".....you see something "fly" by. Oh yes.....the brown demons love to fly by then vanish into thin air. You think you are safe when the light's on, though......then your cat won't stop looking at the ceiling. You slowly roll your eyes upward and there it is. About 2 inches long....wavering antennas...that suddenly stop when IT realizes YOU watching IT!!! You reach for a magazine or a shoe.....you swing.....YOU MISS!!!!......IT DROPS DOWN ON YOU!!! EEEEEEEK!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry...I had to take a breather......

......so you swat and bat at yourself trying to find the winged Satan but he's gone! Gone?.......WAIT!! I feel something on my back!!!!! EEEEEEK!!!! *swat-swat*......wait!!! There he goes across the floor!!! He's heading for the couch!! Yes!! The cat's got him!! "Crunch...crunch....crunch".......oh good God...spit him out...I'm getting sick!! Well.....there he is.....upsidedown, half eaten, and dead...........no........this can't be.....he's...still....m..o..v..i...n...g. Enough of this.....*whack-whack*.......there....that does it............now I need to get a paper towel and.....wha?....n...n...no...no-no-no-Mother of Christ-NOOOOOOO!!!!.......it liiiiiiiiiives!!! I will surgically remove this Beelzebub's head and end this abominable creation........*snip*................ah yes...it is done................................????????????.. ....this......this isn't happening....the two severed halves are living independantly of each other!! You gather your wits and engulf it in a giant wad of tissue......you flush the devil beast down the toilet.........but what's this? Even as it swirls around in the water, the headless body breaks free of the wad and makes a last attempt to escape from it's aquatic fate!!!! Oooooooooh, but don't worry.....thousands lay waiting to take it's fallen brother's place..........

Oh yeah.....and when I was like 5 or 6, my older brother said they crawl on you at night and eat the cuticles off your fingers. If you wake up and see them, don't try to flick them off because not only will they stay locked in place while you thrash your hands around, but will rub their wings together signaling others to come and feast on your body parts. Now, that's a pretty scary image when your brother tells you that at that age!! (Thanks a crapload, Jim, for making the simple task of squashing a bug a major anxiety-filled fiasco :mad: ).

jeddah
03-08-2002, 05:45 AM
People seeing my bits when I'm abducted (I sleep in the altogether)

jeddah

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I usually have a fear on alot of stuff because whenever I think about something like something sharp my mind always has to race and I think about what could happen, what it would feel like and stuff like that. Dunno why it just does.

My biggest fear though; Spiders. Especially with living in Oklahoma, you usually have to be very careful with dark spaces that people don't often go around and stuff, just thinking of a spider walking with those 8 legs just gives me the willys...

I'm also afraid of heights, flying, being in water you can't see through, stuff like that.

That's exactly what I do. I see something like a pair of scissors, and my mind automatically goes "What would happen if you tripped and those scissors jammed in your eye?" Another wierd one is, as you know, I work as a projectionist in a theatre. When the film ends, it whips off the projector onto a spinning platter. I always imagine the films going to whip around a catch me across my eyeball. AIIIEEEE!!!:eek: ------>:Pirate: :cry:

Spiders on the other hand don't bother me at all. When i see them, I think "Cool. Eat them annoying flys, guys." The more of you the merrier in my place. I've got four spiders living in my apartment, and they mostly hang out on the cieling and don't bother me. Insects that give me the crawlies are the centipedes and millipedes that can cruise at like 40MPH right towards you after you lift up a rock. Eeek! Get away!:p

P.S. Howdy's PALMETTO BUG story gave ME the willies. "Eating cuticles in the night..feasting on body parts." If that was my sibling...someone would have been castrated in the night.:mad:

JetsAndHeels
03-08-2002, 08:29 AM
I am also claustrophobic to a certain point. I can be enclosed to a certain extent, but if I cannot move and there is no light, I will freak.
Another thing I dont like is when you are riding in the passenger side of a car and you have that feeling like you are not in control.
I was in an auto accident a few years back where I hit another car in the rear due to them slamming on brakes. Whenever I ride with my roommate he will not apply his brakes until he is right on the car in front of us. That really bugs me because it gives me the sensation that we will hit them.
I hate that feeling.

Jargo
03-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Wolf spiders. Outdoors spiders that hide in bushes and sit on the tips of the branches watching in a sitting up position. harmless but evil. The can jump and if you get near they sit upright and rub their mandibles together and jump around. They scare the living crap out of me almost as much as Moths that dive bomb. Moths are inherently sadistic. They never bother anyone who likes them just the ones who freak out big time. Fluttering around the lightbulb ad then ZOOOOM whirrrrr flitter bang ZOOOOM flying round your head and bashing into you. And they're always the really big ones that are horribly hairy and have deaths heads designs on their wings.

Primal fears rising to the surface....

I have a fear of public lavatories. I was about five and in town with my mother. I needed to pee so she took me to the nearest public convenience. But she met some friends on the way. So she's stood chatting and I'm crossing my legs waiting for her to take me in. She says i should go on my own but to be careful because a little boy had his willy cut of in a public toilet a couple of weeks before........
So I climb a set of concrete stairs and enter the gloomiest fish tank room I've ever been in. The smell of sanilav and urine assails me. The smell of a big stinker assails me. I look across to the far wall where the strange looking urinal is and see that there are four large burly men standing there peeing - or something... and all of them are wearing dark tatty raincoats and all of them look like people who would cut off my willy and there's only one space left at the urinal between two of these guys...........
Shortly after running like the wind in fright from the lavatories I peed myself in public and was humiliated as i rode the bus home by my Mother telling me what a bad boy I was and how I'd embarrased her in front of her friends... since then I've not been able to use public lavatories or even use one at a friends house until I've been to the house a few times and become sure the bathroom has a lock on the door. Paranoia as well as a big irrational fear.

See, I told you I had a few. More later...

Excellent responses BTW. Nice to know I'm not alone. :)

good shot jansen
03-08-2002, 10:08 AM
the thought of it always brings a shiver to me.

of course wadigoando?, move me and my family to the lightning capitol of the western hemisphere, south florida :rolleyes: , so every time a wave of rumblers move through, (which of course happens about 1/3 of the year:sur: ), i stay away from telephones, running water, windows, and most definately from being outside.

during morning thunderstorms, when i need to get showered and shaved for work, i'm a freakin' basket case:eek:

the funny thing is, i absolutely love thunderstorms, i love sitting in a chair, with a cappa tea, reading a favorite book while it's stormin' outside:confused:

i just can't stand the thought of being struck by lightning.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

That's exactly what I do. I see something like a pair of scissors, and my mind automatically goes "What would happen if you tripped and those scissors jammed in your eye?" Another wierd one is, as you know, I work as a projectionist in a theatre. When the film ends, it whips off the projector onto a spinning platter. I always imagine the films going to whip around a catch me across my eyeball. AIIIEEEE!!!:eek: ------>:Pirate: :cry:

Don't forget, It always fun until someone pokes their eye out.

Just reading your post makes my eyes water. I can't stand the thought of having my eyes jacked with, which BTW is definitely not an irrational fear. The other thing I hate is getting my glasses knocked off my face. My one-year old daughter does that a lot to me and I can't stand it because I think they'll hit the ground, break, and I'll be like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode. :dead:

JEDIpartner
03-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Squishy, rubberised things they are! I can't stand the way they look... all bloated and squirmy. I guess it comes from my terrible experience as a three year old. Squatting down to look at a toad and having it jump and hit me in the eye. It even latched on to my face for a brief moment before I swatted it off. Ick. Ick. Ick!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Don't forget, It always fun until someone pokes their eye out.

Just reading your post makes my eyes water. I can't stand the thought of having my eyes jacked with, which BTW is definitely not an irrational fear. The other thing I hate is getting my glasses knocked off my face. My one-year old daughter does that a lot to me and I can't stand it because I think they'll hit the ground, break, and I'll be like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode. :dead:

Heh. My daughter broke my glasses over two years ago and I still haven't gotten them fixed. She broke off one of the bows, so i balance them on my other ear and the bridge of my nose. They work fine, unless I look straight down, then they fall off. but i mostly wear my contacts, so it's not a big deal.

Jargo, your mom told your willy was gonna get chopped off, then got made when you wouldn't go into the restroom by yourself? That's sadistic. i hope she made up for it by buying you tons of Star Wars figgies.

Jargo
03-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Hmmmmm, I have big issues with my Mother that are still unresolved...... (eye starts twitching palms start sweating...) :rolleyes: :D And no, she never bought me anything because at that point there were no SW figgies. We're talking pre 1975 :( I've just made up for it ever since by being a bad boy :D :crazed:

I get that eye thing too. I can't even cope with someone pointing a finger at me. I get all squirmy in my belly when i'm using a regular pen and writing on paper. I can see the tip of the pen moving away out of the corner of my eye and I'm-just-TENSING UP..............!!!!

I suppose it might have something to do with that surrealist film I once saw. Dali? un Chan Andelou or something. very famous movie but it has a scene where they cut an eyeball with a cut throat razor. Talk about getting those weak knees and tightening in the groin area like you're gonna pee.... :eek: horrible horrible film.

I'm claustrophobic too. Not everywhere, just in elevators and crowded rooms. I was in a store recently and headed for the door because I felt a wave of panic as I struggled to wade through wall to wall bargain hunters when I reached the doors they were double ones with a space between the inner and outer ones. As I went to leave a whole crowd of people starting entering and I got trapped between the two sets and couldn't escape either way. I started to sweat profusely and get swimmy vision and short of breath and then my knees started to fold under me. At the last second before I fainted a space become clear and I ran out of the store gasping for air. I collapsed against the wal panting and sweating and feeling sick and all these people were staring at me like I was on drugs. It was totally irrational as I only had to be a little patient for like thirty seconds until the space cleared, but it threw me into a major panic at the thought of being trapped.

Similarly, I was working as a security guard ina hospital and had to go from the basement to the top floor to assist in a callout as a mad old man was laying into nurses with an oxygen bottle. Unfortunately the lift stopped between floors and the doors wouldn't open. At the same time another lift was also stuck so the engineers were tending to that one because there were patients in that one. So I'm trapped in a lift with an enormous security guard colleague who's cheerfully mocking me as I start to panic and hyper-ventilate.... An hour I was there. I found out that it happens a lot at that hospital because they can't afford to upgrade the lift shafts and cables..... I didn't stay working there for much longer after that. :(

JetsAndHeels
03-08-2002, 12:45 PM
I work in a hospital as well, Jargo. I know what you mean about how freaky those elevators can get. Ours are rather new but we see a large volume of patients everyday and I can imagine that it wont be long before they need some work.
One here is already messing up since it is used by employees to go from their ward down to the smoking area for breaks.
But I dont worry about it too much because soon I will be changing jobs and I wont have to worry about the elevators anymore.

Starfig873
03-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Lessee...

Tornados. Yep, and with good reason being in Oklahoma and all. :p I'm not so paranoid about them now, but when I was younger I would freak at the drop of a pin.

Certainly spiders. I hate those buggers...and the bigger they get the faster I'll move to get away. :D

And driving is bad too. I don't look forward to going out to drive, I don't trust ANYONE on the road anymore. It's almost like driving is more of a chore than a pleasure.

JediTricks
03-08-2002, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty afraid of bees. I've been stung once or twice without serious reaction so I know I'm not allergic, but damn if they don't scare the crap out of me. Heck, even when it's slightly warm and something small moves quickly in my peripheral vision, I flip out.

I'm pretty afraid of OTHER drivers when I'm the passenger, ever since I was 5 and some stupid woman mistook a red light for a stop sign and plowed into the family car while we were going 40 - the accident was REALLY bad, though everybody survived ok. However, while I fully understand the mechanics of driving and learned to drive a stick at the age of 10, I absolutely cannot drive on streets where other people are driving. Once in a while, when I'm in the passenger seat and we make a left turn, the sight of oncoming traffic makes me almost faint.

I used to be very afraid of elevators after getting stuck in one at the LA Aeronautics museum for 45 minutes. Now I'm cool with most elevators, but once in a while, when they get stuck I freak a little.

Not exactly a "fear", but I have a sub-concious aversion to touching doorknobs because I get a lot of static shocks. I'll reach for one and notice my hand start shaking and refusing to complete the complicated act of turning the knob. :crazed:

The last "irrational fear" I can think of is metal dental picks. Even the thought of a dentist using those things makes me spaz out, wince in terror, and sometimes go into convulsions over the horror of remembering that feeling. It's really freaky.

Obi-Don
03-09-2002, 06:15 AM
The fear that when I'm in a big city that the tall buildings will fall on me. Thats one of the reasons I don't drive when we go. As far as spiders go. I HATE THEM!

TeeEye7
03-11-2002, 06:27 AM
I'm with JT:

I'm the world's worst passenger in a car. I, too, was creamed in an auto collision as a youngster. I think the problem is a feeling of not being in control. No one ever drives as well as yourself. I'm extremely nervous when not behind the wheel.

Dryanta
03-11-2002, 10:18 AM
I was terrified of snakes when I was kid.Once I hit puberty it turned from fear to extreme hatred.To this day I'll go out of my way to kill a snake!!!
About the same time That fear turned to hate on the snake front I devoloped a fear of heights,not bad now.I had to deal with it because of a few jobs I've had.
Now it's just not liking being out of control,passenger seat,amusement park rides and the like.Not really fear just a strong need to avoid it when ever possible:D

mabudonicus
03-11-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm completely frozen with fear upon encountering ANY spider- I like pictures of them and everything, but for some reason anything with more than 6 legs(silverfish,centipedes, and mostly spiders) scares the stuffings out of me for no reason I can think of. I'm also prone to the same claustrophobia-triggered panic attacks as many have reported- it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's bad enough, as at the same time you feel this intense need to do something,but you're completely paralysed by that weird, buzzing fear, like being wrapped in shrink wrap or carbonite or something.
Oddly enough( I'm sure all of my metal posts would make one think otherwise) the panic can also be triggered by extremely loud noises, especially ones that have no rhythm, or ones that are really high or low frequency. When I was little, I was terrified of thunder and fireworks, and even scared to go to the canal in town because of the possibility of a ships horn going off. Now I love explosions and deafening music, but if sound like that takes me off guard it freaks me right out.
Weird, eh?(little Can Con for ya!)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Open heights. I cannot even look over the railing of the second floor of my local indoor mall without feeling nervous. I can go up to high places (inside tall buildings, airplanes, mountains, etc.) but if I can see how far down it is, and how easy it would be for me to fall, I get sweaty palms and shake a little. I frequently have falling dreams, too.

I fear flying insects, especially, wasps and Japanese beetles. A friend once got one of those beetles stuck in his hair, and I've been avoiding the bugs ever since. I'd win an America's Funniest Videos award if anyone ever taped me running away and waving at them. Now, if I realize it's just a fly or dragonfly or something, I calm down pretty quickly.

I have some odd habits, out of my semi-obsessive compulsive behavior.
- Eating Doritos, lima beans, pieces of pasta, etc. two at a time.
- Never stepping on sidewalk cracks.
- Color organizing of many things.
- Never, EVER being without my wallet/driver's license, even when not driving.
- ALWAYS having a tissue with me.

Sigh... better get Dr. Shrink back on speed dial... :eek: :p

Deoxyribonucleic
03-11-2002, 01:52 PM
my "fear" is kind of an OCD (obsessive compulsive behavior) thing. When I was little, I always felt that if I didn't do something, like bounce a ball or brush my teeth a certain amount of times or in a certain systematic way, something bad would happen to my mom or my cat Stanley. I carried this OCD thing with me to adulthood by checking the stove and outlets "hundreds" of times before leaving the house. Checking doors "millions" of times before leaving the house, hanging up my wash cloth in "a certain systematic way" before exiting the shower. I have since learned not to worry about such things because I know that I can't control the world and "things" happening just by "hanging up my washcloth in a certain direction" - Just sharing this basically with the whole world is another way that people can get over such "fears". I have met many a people that do odd, strange, repetitive things like I used to do, so I know I'm not alone. Every once in a while I will catch myself about to "fall" into an old habit of the OCD behavior and I stop myself right away. It was really bad when I was younger, especially in High School, I was always late in the morning because I had to check the stove so many frickin' times. Now I just laugh at the things I used to do and because of it, I've become a very mellow person so I won't do that crap again. But it is a very serious thing and I feel for anyone who sufferes from a severe case of it. I think mine stemmed from the guilt I learned from growing up Catholic....oooooo religion really gets me!

For those of you with a fear of spiders, I suggest holding a stick-bug. These lil guys are the most calm, slow lil fellas (insects that remind me of a sloth) I've ever had the pleasure to hold. I saw one at a science fair one day and went out and got one of my own....it has since had 30ish babies (if they don't have a partner, they can still have babies because they have the option of being both sexes) which I have ALL of them and they are so fun and easy to take care of.

Jargo, this was a great thread - really just putting our fears out there for everyone to see makes us realize we are not alone and also helps in overcoming them. :)

Lman316
03-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Heights are definitely my biggest fear. And it all started at one of my older brother's little league games.
The field they were playing on had the biggest set of stands in the whole park. I don't really know how high, but let me tell ya, they're high. Anyway, the game had ended, and everyone was leaving, but there were still people around this field because it's right next to the concession stand, and I think that at the end of the day, they reduce prices on food so they don't have to save it, or toss it. Well, I had been on the top of those stands, the very top row of seats, and my parents had finally called for me to come down, as they were going to leave. So down I came, row by row. But around the third row down, someone had spilled their drink, and needless to say, I slipped. And I fell right through the space between the rows and landed basically on my face. But, really, I guess the whole front part of my body landed at the same time. Wonderful place to land too. Lots of rocks down there.
I blacked out for about a second after I hit, and I just remember everyone rushing around me, trying to see what happened.
Had bruises on my legs (I couldn't believe only on my legs) for a few weeks, and that - luckily, and besides the actual fear - was it.
But ever since that day, I can't do any type of major heights. No ladders, no planes, no helping my dad work on the roof. Nope, uh uh, just ain't gonna happen.
I'm content on the ground, thank you very much :happy:

Jargo
03-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Wow, I'm like a big bag of neurosis... here comes another one, fear of heights isn't really my fear but enters into it, it's fear of high places over big gaping holes. Bridges and walkways, platforms and decking. If i can see a gap below the floor I totally freak out in that frozen to the spot way and get the dizziness and shortage of breath and - panic attack. Can't say what causes it because it's not from the height of the platform that I get the fear, just the thought that the ground isn't solid.
I used to work around a theater and had to help build a set which I'd incidentaly designed. Now I'm not a trained set designer just came up with the best idea. And that idea had a platform nine feet high that covered over a set of steps like an arch sort of thing so a person would come up from stage level and then stand on a platform in front of the steps before they turned right or left and walked up more steps to this nine foot platform. Kinda like a pyramid shape but stepped.

Anyway, We're building this thing from scaffolding and cladding it in planks of wood. I go up to supervise the laying of planks and also trying to be brave. And the planks aren't secured so as I walk they slip around. Well I just froze completely. Couldn't even speak I was so petrified. I just shut down completely. No amount of coaxing or calming or friendly advice could shift me. They had to lash the planks in place with rope before I would even think of moving. Scared me for weeks.

And suspension bridges or those rope and plank bridges across gorges or wherever. They just send me stupid with acute fright. I'd rather swim a river than cross a rope bridge and the way they move around and bob about and sway........ *shudders*

I'm with everyone on insects too. More than four legs and I'm gone. Flying crawling running jumping creeping slithering thngs are just evil incarnate and must be stepped on. Or if it's really scary like a fast moving big black hairy spider, have a book dropped on it from a great height or failing that - shot. Supersoaker 2500 blasts are gonna get then hairy little buggars. Flying things I spray with furniture polish wax to clog up the wings so they can't fly. Then you can deal with them properly. Wasps I leave a jar with sugary water inside and just a small hole in the screwtop lid. The wasps can get in but not out if you puncture the metal lid and leave the edges of the puncture rough and sharp it tears their wings so they don't like to climb out and end up just drowning. Very effectibve against many types of flying insect that eat sugar. :evil:

Dryanta
03-11-2002, 05:05 PM
This really is a good Idea for a thread,thanks Jargo.
I'm glad I don't have alot to say in this thread.One of a few I can say that about.
Everyone is different,as this thread shows,and it's good thing to be able to talk about these things without any shame or fear of ridicule.
I wonder if our collecting of toys is a form of therapy for fears and possibly a host of other things.
Has any Dr.s or anyone ever written a paper or done a study about adult toy collectors?Just curious.Might be interesting reading

JediTricks
03-11-2002, 11:21 PM
I've never understood why "fear of heights" is considered an irrational fear. I should be afraid of heights, they're dangerous! I embrace my fear when I'm on something tall like the roof of a building, my body and brain are working together to let me know that I could fall off being up there so I better be darn careful.

Emperor Howdy
03-12-2002, 02:58 AM
"I have some odd habits, out of my semi-obsessive compulsive behavior.
- Eating Doritos, lima beans, pieces of pasta, etc. two at a time"

Now that's weird, B-CJ......I too have a chip-related OC behavior. I can't resist doing the duckbill thing when I first crack open a jug of Pringles......oh wait.....that's called immaturity.....my bad! :stupid:

Rollo Tomassi
03-12-2002, 07:45 AM
I used to be deathly afraid of bees as a child until I got stung by one. Then I was all "WHAT!?! That was IT!!?" Society had me all worked up and it felt like getting pinched. Let me tell you after getting punched in the eye, electrocuted, and all other matter of painful things, a bee sting is like a warm massage. I shant be afraid of bees anymore.
I think fear of heights is rational/irrational depending on the danger involved. Standing on your roof is not dangerous. Standing on the EDGE of your roof jumping rope IS dangerous. it's all perspective. And if you're brave/stupid enough to stand on the edge and jump rope, apparently you don't have a fear of heights.

mabudonicus
03-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Bees and such freak me out too. I think I'm kinda allergic, as I got stung by 3 of em in the back of my knee when I was 6 or so, and my leg swelled up by 2 times or so. Jargo's post about furniture wax jogged this memory(this ain't a problem in Canadian winter, usually), cause a couple of years ago, I was being menaced by a huge wasp, with only a can of white primer at hand. Half of the stuff in my appartment got a light misting, and one window was half coated when he tried to escape. Now THAT's over reacting!

Lobito
03-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Airplanes...i always get nervous when i get into a plane...i dont know...the feeling that u are not in control is the disturbing part...just like when u are inside a car but somebody else is driving it. What else...? Swiming in the sea!!! If u saw jaws...u always get the feeling...u know u start listening to the shark music (John Williams). Thats it.

scruffziller
10-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Women.

James Boba Fettfield
10-12-2002, 01:15 PM
I fear using anything that the mass public touches. I avoid trying to open doors with my own hands. I also fear having to use a public toilet for solid waste removal. I do not like many kinds of insects to touch me. I also feel like people I walk by are going to do something to me. Not sure why I feel this way, but if I walk by a group of people I feel like they are going to say or do something terrible to me.

InsaneJediGirl
10-12-2002, 08:37 PM
MRI Machines,the open or closed ones,scare the crud out of me.Its not so much the enclosed space,its the noise they make.Reminds me of something about to blow up at any moment.

Lets see..spiders and snakes scare me.Living in Florida,I see them all the time,but it still doesnt take the fear away.Maybe its because in school they gave us too many poisionous(sp?) snake/spider lectures.

The last,and most stupid irrational fear is tests.SATs,FCATS,HSCTs,and other state/national run tests put me on edge.I just become nervous and start thinking the worse,like I'll never get into college,and that if I fail this even the community college wont take me.:rolleyes: :crazed: :crazed:I dont know where this comes from,because my parents have never pushed me to be perfect just to "do my best".

Darth Sidious
10-12-2002, 10:43 PM
This thread is great! :) To all of you who come out and tell about your fears with out any fear (:D) of embarassment, (Especially Jargo, you have told a lot of your fears) I commend you. My fear was tornadoes because I saw 3 of them at Cedar Point, but then another one hit my house, and it wasn't that bad. My attitude was basically "Ha! I've lived through four! Most people don't ever see one, let alone four, I should consider myself priveledged (Sp?)" So my main fear is wasps. I was stung by one as a baby, I can't remember it but I think it left some sort of subconscious imprint...err...or something. I'm not allergic, but they freak me out. Know what I do now? I KILL THEM. Damn straight. They don't really bother me that much anymore. In fact, I can't ever remember an instance when I was stung. So I really don't have any major fears right now. Something funny did happen once, though. I was asleep, and my shelf with some SWAFs on it was above my head (Well, it's not like it moves or anything). My clonetrooper fell over and landed on my face, and its head was about a centimeter from my eye. It didn't wake me up, though. But when I did wake up, its funny clonetrooper face was right in my eye! I am not afraid of clonetroopers, but whenever I see one now it makes me laugh. Well, they looked funny enough already. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-12-2002, 11:04 PM
My irrational fears have been mentioned before, lightining and airplanes.

My lightning fear probably started when I was really young yet I can't recall when. Whenever there is a thunderstorm I feel the need to go indoors, no matter how far the storms are or how potent they may be. I remember one time fishing on my uncle's pond with my twin brother and I spotted what I thought was a huge thunderhead cloud. The funny part was it a sunny day aside from this ominous looking cloud.

My brother had gotten his line tangled in the pedals of the paddleboat we were riding on, and he was trying to untangle it. When I saw the cloud I got really scared and panicked. I wanted to get to shore so I started pedaling really fast. I accidentaly snapped his rod in half. The thundercloud passed over us without anything happening.

My airplane fear probably started young, even though I didn't first get on an airplane until I was 12 (I probably got the fear through watching hijack movies and Airplane!). I get very sweaty and nervous before and during the takeoff, and during the ascent. I calm down during cruising altitude, but I am always fearful of a mid-air collision. I am usually cool as a cucumber during the landings, because I am ready to get out of the plane. The only landing that freaked me out was a landing in Pittsburgh during dense fog. Our plane was arriving on the runway when all of a sudden, without warning, we started to accelerate and took off again. We had no idea what was going on because we couldn't see a thing, even when we landed on the runway, that's how thick the fog was. The pilots never radioed why they had to take off again. I nearly freaked out. We ended up circling the airport for 15 minutes and we landed safely the second time.

jjreason
10-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Anything where dying becomes a real possibility. I don't fear flying, but when I think of the plane going down fleetingly I get antsy thinking of my wife and kids. Same with being in a pursuit, on a search warrant, etc - my job is sometimes fraught with seemingly dangerous moments - I get the same distracting worries. Im usually pretty careful, if I go by accident it will be someone else's fault.

2-1B
03-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I have a fear of my pets being eaten by snakes:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/27/australia.snake.ap/index.html

TeeEye7
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Investing in a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590 would cure that. ;)

UKWildcat
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I have an irrational fear of Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

TeeEye7
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I have an irrational fear of Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

And are all named Lanny. :yes: