PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro, I'm drifting away from the line in favor of Artwork because your distribution

JediTricks
04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm now buying posters and books rather than figures mainly because distribution is so awful. Tycho just texted me about how he hasn't been able to buy anything lately because of Hasbro's distribution issues on SW and Transformers, and I realized I was in the same boat, using that collecting-mojo to pick out McQuarrie artworks and books, as well as looking into Gentle Giant stuff and Kotobukiya... all of which I actively didn't want to collect because they were too expensive, but now they're getting my collecting dollars because Hasbro absolutely has failed my collecting yen.

Up until this year, I could at least look to Clone Wars to carry me when the mainline was in short supply, but now Clone Wars is nearly all dried up, Movie Heroes isn't working out so well, and the later waves of TVC are nowhere to be seen.

The worst part is that that I almost feel lucky about not finding new Hasbro product because if I did, I'd have to struggle to decide whether or not it'd be worth the heavily overpriced pricetags it now carries.

So I''m being turned against my will away from my 17-year-long collection not by choice but by outside ineptitude. Such a strange world, this is.

El Chuxter
04-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Unfortunately, I know where you're coming from. Even where I live and have usually had good luck finding things, it's a wasteland. I'd really love to get new Star Wars and GIJoe stuff, and, worse, I know it exists. I just can't find it.

Maybe at Marshalls in six months, who knows?

mtriv73
04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
The horrible distribution, case assortments, and general lack of anything interesting on the shelves drove me to start buying Lego's last year rather than wasting time searching for Star Wars and GI Joe toys. I do think vintage has gotten a little better so far this year (compared to last) but Qui Gons and Obi wans are starting to stack up as badly as green tinted clones were last year with more apparently on the way. Since the beginning of the line, there have been about 20 clone wars figures I've been really interested in getting and I've run across and bought about 25% of those. That's a lot of money Hasbro hasn't gotten from me. The same goes with GI Joe, although I probably would have bought around 50-75% of what was released there.

Snowtrooper
04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I think were all in this boat to some degree or another. I still have a healthy appetite for Hasbro's products, but it has diminished because of distribution issues and price, plus other issues that have nothing to do with Hasbro. I've been spending more money on prop replicas lately rather than SW figures. I get the impression that Hasbro doesn't really give a rats *** about the line or its customers anymore. They used to have decent PR and at least communicated decently with us. It seems like now they don't really care what we think even when we are trying to tell them what the problems are. Its too bad they continue to bang their heads against the wall with distribution because they are making some of the best figures they've ever made.

JediTricks
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately, I know where you're coming from. Even where I live and have usually had good luck finding things, it's a wasteland. I'd really love to get new Star Wars and GIJoe stuff, and, worse, I know it exists. I just can't find it.

Maybe at Marshalls in six months, who knows?If all we ever see is liquidators, then the line is back to where it was in '85 - dead. I certainly don't want it to be like that. Right now I haven't seen any credible sightings of TVC wave 2, and sites are now reporting sightings of wave 3 and are talking about waves 4 and 5. Vehicles have bombed out entirely, there's not a new one in sight, the TPM release came and went without the new Naboo Fighter, the Mandalorian Assault Transport got a microscopic release and disappeared not even into Marshalls. And poor Clone Wars, I haven't a clue what's coming next or when it's coming, all I see are the new line's wave 1 which I have zero interest in for the last 4 months.

Transformers is pretty much in the same boat too, Generations is coming later in the year, and Prime is limping so far. It's like Hasbro has forgotten that toys are part of the "turn toys into licensable brands" game.

The horrible distribution, case assortments, and general lack of anything interesting on the shelves drove me to start buying Lego's last year rather than wasting time searching for Star Wars and GI Joe toys. I do think vintage has gotten a little better so far this year (compared to last) but Qui Gons and Obi wans are starting to stack up as badly as green tinted clones were last year with more apparently on the way. Since the beginning of the line, there have been about 20 clone wars figures I've been really interested in getting and I've run across and bought about 25% of those. That's a lot of money Hasbro hasn't gotten from me. The same goes with GI Joe, although I probably would have bought around 50-75% of what was released there.I hear ya, although Lego costed me out of that brand years ago so I don't even have that, and now I can't get back into it, I've grown old and bitter. :p

I think were all in this boat to some degree or another. I still have a healthy appetite for Hasbro's products, but it has diminished because of distribution issues and price, plus other issues that have nothing to do with Hasbro. I've been spending more money on prop replicas lately rather than SW figures. I get the impression that Hasbro doesn't really give a rats *** about the line or its customers anymore. They used to have decent PR and at least communicated decently with us. It seems like now they don't really care what we think even when we are trying to tell them what the problems are. Its too bad they continue to bang their heads against the wall with distribution because they are making some of the best figures they've ever made.That's too bad that we're all stuck there. Prop Replicas are nice and I love seeing collections with them, but few and far between for new releases and right now too expensive for my collection which is why I started with Hasbro in the first place. I don't want to keep harping on Hasbro's new brand management coming up at the same time with both my lines - SW and Transformers - but the timing is awfully coincidental to both brands imploding like this. It really does right now feel like Hasbro is more interested in selling movie tickets (anybody going to see Battleship? :D) than selling action figures, and they have jacked prices for them way up while they do it.

El Chuxter
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not saying I want all the toys to wind up at liquidators. Just that, right now, that appears to be our only hope of finding any of the current stuff at reasonable prices. :(

As cool as it was that so many of the later TF:RTS and Joe:ROC items were essentially "Ross exclusives," I'd rather pay a few bucks more for them and not have them signal the death of the line.

JediTricks
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm not saying I want all the toys to wind up at liquidators. Just that, right now, that appears to be our only hope of finding any of the current stuff at reasonable prices. :(

As cool as it was that so many of the later TF:RTS and Joe:ROC items were essentially "Ross exclusives," I'd rather pay a few bucks more for them and not have them signal the death of the line.I wasn't suggesting you were, just pointing out that your statement about more product at liquidators is true but that it's a bad omen. I think we're on the same page there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
The last few months have indeed been just horrible for the line. Nobody wants to buy decade-old repacks, nobody wants to buy the exact same 2009 Obi-Wan Kenobi figure in four different configurations, and certainly nobody wants to pay the insane prices Hasbro is asking for all this crap. They should have already known that repacks weren't doing so hot in Vintage, and that having the same characters and figures across multiple lines was hurting the sales all around, since it was happening consistently since summer 2010. They should have known not to start new lines with overpriced repacks, as doing that with the $65 shadow ARC-170 in 2009 ended up relegating the far superior Y-wing to rot on TRU shelves months after people wanted it. (I'd love to get vehicles in the new-vintage packaging, but I don't need another 2005 Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter, or a mispainted AT-PT, and definitely not for $30.) Combined with Q&A taking an annoyingly patronizing and glib turn before disappearing altogether (they never had to do Q&A, but it really helped enthusiasm for the brand, especially in this post-movie era), the dumping of The Clone Wars almost completely, the terrible case assortments that consist mostly of old figures that are still readily available (and none of the easily repackable ones that people missed out on, at least not until wave 4), and now the announcement of all-new figures with five points of articulation is just f***ing ridiculous. I know Vickie left the line around a year ago for Marvel (which is seeming to have its own new lack of articulation issues) and obviously Jeff has taken on a lot of responsibilities, and I just can't help but think he has absolutely no idea what the hell he's doing. (Well, it's easy to pinpoint him because he's the ostensible "face" of the brand, but it could be an all-around goof-up.) I haven't gone on too many toy runs lately due to being busy, but I only got the deleted scene wave and Movie Heroes wave 2 because I just so happened to be at Walmart when they brought out the cases. We shouldn't have to check closeout stores for exclusives that were supposed to hit six months ago. I've always been against the doom-and-gloom talk that goes on a lot, but this year is just awful, and it needs to get better fast. The next few Vintage waves look really great, and it's great to finally have Wedge, more Gamorreans, and last year's delayed Evazan wave, but now we'll have even more Bom Vimdins to clog up the shelves and I can almost guarantee I'll never see Darth Malgus at retail. (Last year was the first time since 2006, I believe, when I couldn't find a first-run figure - that applied to both Bastila Shan and the Echo Base Trooper, who aren't slated for re-release anytime soon despite both being hard to find for many people.) I really don't want to see this stuff clearanced out at the end of the year only to be replaced by the greatest pegwarmers of 2002 for AOTC next year. But hey, this probably means I can get a few extremely cheap MTTs...with all their glorious pre-posed, backpack-less, inaccurately standing battle droids. :rolleyes: A lot has to change at the brand, and fast.

El Chuxter
04-17-2012, 07:11 PM
This isn't SW-specific, necessarily, but Hasbro has a way of not listening to fans over the past few years. Look at TF and Joe, both Hasbro lines licensed to IDW for comics. IDW introduced a new Autobot most people don't care about, and Hasbro made him into a figure (Drift). They re-designed a lot of Joes in ways that made them cool, and collectors were literally begging for the updated Crystal Ball and Croc Master... and they repainted the old 25th-style pegwarmer Croc Master instead.

Same with the Prime and Renegades cartoons (stripping away the additional marketing problems with Renegades). They debuted in November of 2010. The first toys hit in late 2011. How the hell does a toy company not realize that kids will actually want the characters from current cartoons for Christmas? (On top of that, there's the weird "First Edition" wave of Prime figures, which I understand are inferior to the "regular" figures from about two months later, and Renegades just got tossed into the 30th Anniversary Joe line with Firefly being abundant, Ripcord looking nothing like the character, and Roadblock not even getting made. Again, can't speak for Prime on this one, but it seemed like folks wanted Baroness's battle armor, the Bio-Viper, and Mindbender most of all, none of whom were even planned.)

bigbarada
04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm finding that my interest level is higher in 2012 than it's been over the last several years. However, I'm used to the figures being difficult to track down. That's been the rule for me over the last 17 years. In fact, 2010-2011 have felt like a repeat of 1995-1996, except I'm far more satisfied with the figures now when I finally do track them down. Being able to just walk into a store and find whatever I want without too much effort is the rare exception to the rule.

I do however find that there is far less to get excited about these days, but that's only because the OT has been so well covered. Also, my focus has been narrowing significantly over the last several years. Around 2009, I started to consider myself an ROTJ-collector first and a Star Wars collector second, but that's starting to narrow even further and there are now many figures from ROTJ that I'm simply no longer interested in.

JediTricks
04-21-2012, 04:42 PM
So, I got my McQuarrie posters on canvas, and they're very satisfying, although now I have to figure out some way of framing them at their unusual 2:1 ultra-wide width. The color is a lot nicer than I've ever seen in any book. The only drawback is that idiotic Lucasfilm has slapped the company copyright in black print in the bottom corner which sort of hampers the whole "art" look of the item. But compared to state of collecting Hasbro figures in the last year, getting these posters has been much more satisfying.

The last few months have indeed been just horrible for the line. Nobody wants to buy decade-old repacks, nobody wants to buy the exact same 2009 Obi-Wan Kenobi figure in four different configurations, and certainly nobody wants to pay the insane prices Hasbro is asking for all this crap. They should have already known that repacks weren't doing so hot in Vintage, and that having the same characters and figures across multiple lines was hurting the sales all around, since it was happening consistently since summer 2010. They should have known not to start new lines with overpriced repacks, as doing that with the $65 shadow ARC-170 in 2009 ended up relegating the far superior Y-wing to rot on TRU shelves months after people wanted it. (I'd love to get vehicles in the new-vintage packaging, but I don't need another 2005 Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter, or a mispainted AT-PT, and definitely not for $30.) Combined with Q&A taking an annoyingly patronizing and glib turn before disappearing altogether (they never had to do Q&A, but it really helped enthusiasm for the brand, especially in this post-movie era), the dumping of The Clone Wars almost completely, the terrible case assortments that consist mostly of old figures that are still readily available (and none of the easily repackable ones that people missed out on, at least not until wave 4), and now the announcement of all-new figures with five points of articulation is just f***ing ridiculous. I know Vickie left the line around a year ago for Marvel (which is seeming to have its own new lack of articulation issues) and obviously Jeff has taken on a lot of responsibilities, and I just can't help but think he has absolutely no idea what the hell he's doing. (Well, it's easy to pinpoint him because he's the ostensible "face" of the brand, but it could be an all-around goof-up.) I haven't gone on too many toy runs lately due to being busy, but I only got the deleted scene wave and Movie Heroes wave 2 because I just so happened to be at Walmart when they brought out the cases. We shouldn't have to check closeout stores for exclusives that were supposed to hit six months ago. I've always been against the doom-and-gloom talk that goes on a lot, but this year is just awful, and it needs to get better fast. The next few Vintage waves look really great, and it's great to finally have Wedge, more Gamorreans, and last year's delayed Evazan wave, but now we'll have even more Bom Vimdins to clog up the shelves and I can almost guarantee I'll never see Darth Malgus at retail. (Last year was the first time since 2006, I believe, when I couldn't find a first-run figure - that applied to both Bastila Shan and the Echo Base Trooper, who aren't slated for re-release anytime soon despite both being hard to find for many people.) I really don't want to see this stuff clearanced out at the end of the year only to be replaced by the greatest pegwarmers of 2002 for AOTC next year. But hey, this probably means I can get a few extremely cheap MTTs...with all their glorious pre-posed, backpack-less, inaccurately standing battle droids. :rolleyes: A lot has to change at the brand, and fast.Dang JJL, it seems like holding back has caused an explosion from within you. Everything you are saying is true true true, but I'm surprised as you have been vehemently opposed to giving in to voicing such things.

I want the Wave 2 figures, right? So I look at the upcoming case assortments for waves 3, 4, and 4r1, hoping to see a case that has carried them forward - that's the POINT of carrying figures forward, right? So what do I see instead? MORE F'ING QUI-GONS AND OBI-WANS AND NABOO GUARDS!!! Wave 1 garbage that's weighing down every peg is getting carried forward for months while an entire near-missing wave of new figures isn't. That's just STUPID. And it's not like it's a singular mistake, it's a pattern of behavior, season after season we're seeing more of this awful planning. Killing the Deluxe Vehicle line to sell more of the middling ARC-170 nobody wanted? Rereleasing stuff no collector wants in the collector-only line (that's why we're paying a dollar more per figure, because Hasbro said the line would only focus on collectors so it was to make up for the lower kid-less sales) especially the vehicles you cited is a perfect example, it's like they're actively mishandling the line.

This isn't SW-specific, necessarily, but Hasbro has a way of not listening to fans over the past few years. Look at TF and Joe, both Hasbro lines licensed to IDW for comics. IDW introduced a new Autobot most people don't care about, and Hasbro made him into a figure (Drift). They re-designed a lot of Joes in ways that made them cool, and collectors were literally begging for the updated Crystal Ball and Croc Master... and they repainted the old 25th-style pegwarmer Croc Master instead.

Same with the Prime and Renegades cartoons (stripping away the additional marketing problems with Renegades). They debuted in November of 2010. The first toys hit in late 2011. How the hell does a toy company not realize that kids will actually want the characters from current cartoons for Christmas? (On top of that, there's the weird "First Edition" wave of Prime figures, which I understand are inferior to the "regular" figures from about two months later, and Renegades just got tossed into the 30th Anniversary Joe line with Firefly being abundant, Ripcord looking nothing like the character, and Roadblock not even getting made. Again, can't speak for Prime on this one, but it seemed like folks wanted Baroness's battle armor, the Bio-Viper, and Mindbender most of all, none of whom were even planned.)Jeff, who runs the Hasbro SW brand right now, before this he ran the GI Joe brand. TF has gone through a number of brand management and design team changes in the last few years. It's like Hasbro's problems are 100% at the top, shifting key team members out of their crucial positions and just randomly throwing anybody else into the position because they have seniority at the company.

BTW, most of the TF First Edition figures are vastly superior to the regular mainline versions. Wave 1 deluxe of the TF:Prime regular line consisted of 2 mute characters, a guy who dies in the first episode, and an at-that-time single-shot cameo character... how is that a wave putting the brand's best foot forward? And one of them is Bumblebee, who was already pegwarming hard in the previous TF line and now they're putting 3 of him in every wave until wave 3 where they're putting another use of his mold into the wave so they still have 3 of that mold (and the mold is poorly reviewed in general). It's craziness like that driving so many TF collectors to buy from the Japanese line instead, which is sort of the same thing as I'm talking about in this thread - Hasbro driving collectors away into a different, more expensive collecting expression that Hasbro gets no piece of.

I'm finding that my interest level is higher in 2012 than it's been over the last several years. However, I'm used to the figures being difficult to track down. That's been the rule for me over the last 17 years. In fact, 2010-2011 have felt like a repeat of 1995-1996, except I'm far more satisfied with the figures now when I finally do track them down. Being able to just walk into a store and find whatever I want without too much effort is the rare exception to the rule.

I do however find that there is far less to get excited about these days, but that's only because the OT has been so well covered. Also, my focus has been narrowing significantly over the last several years. Around 2009, I started to consider myself an ROTJ-collector first and a Star Wars collector second, but that's starting to narrow even further and there are now many figures from ROTJ that I'm simply no longer interested in.I'm sure it helps your collecting yen that you hit the character lottery, that Hasbro is doing several figures you want after years of ignoring them.

El Chuxter
04-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Renegades Firefly is one of the biggest pegwarmers ever, right up there with Arctic Destro, Yarna d'al Gargan, or the original Squid Head.

Which is sad. As Firefly, he may suck (great figure, worst Renegades re-design by a mile)... I got two because he makes a sweet "Night Creeper Demolitions Specialist." Kinda like the earlier "Flint in Cobra Disguise" which pegwarmed because I guess people didn't realize that the included (and prominently displayed) Cobra head makes him a unique Cobra Trooper, one of the very few with the laser rifle from the cartoon.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2012, 08:46 PM
I've actually been lucky enough lately to get most of the new figures, but it has been a slow process. I do seem to have missed out on the Hoth Rebel Soldier, Bastila Shan, and Ponda Baba. This year I have got figures in bunches followed by a trickle.

January 7 - Black Rebel Commando
February 10 - Most of the Discover the Force basic figures that I wanted, plus Naboo Royal Guard, Battle Droid, and a couple CW figures.
February 25 - Two more DTF figures (one was a second Naboo Pilot)
March 10 - Five VC figures (another Naboo Guard, Maul, Quinlan, Amidala, young Anakin)
March 31 - Happened to be in K-Mart and found sandstorm Lando and Colonel Cracken
April 2 - Mos Espa battle pack
April 14 - Ratts Tyrell
Apri 18 - Darth Sidious and Daultay Dofine

That is the extent of my Star Wars collecting so far this year. I have rarely checked Hasbro's site since they never seem to have anything I don't already have. I guess I will be back to how it was years ago. If I missed a figure, I'd just wait a while until I knew I wasn't going to find it and then pay extra to get it from Brian's Toys or eBay. Late last year I finally broke down and got that Scramble at Yavin pack from eBay, as well as the newer pack with just the trooper and transport.

I make fewer trips to the stores, so it is easier for me to miss figures. It seems that there was a point when both Target and Wal-Mart didn't have anything new, and very few Vintage Collection figures of any kind. Our Wal-Mart rearranged the store, and after that they didn't seem to have any Vintage figures at all for a while.

Droid
04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
I seriously just hope that I get Dr. Evazan before things might crash and burn...

I still cannot really believe they're going to release that big troop carrier from TPM this year. It not only is a big vehicle that no one was asking for, that defies every rule of what we were told was needed for a big vehicle (dyanmic, iconic), but if they were going to do this, why oh why wouldn't they release it with the movie! I can't understand. I have never seen the resclupted Naboo Fighter, and still haven't seen the Obi-wan or Qui-Gon with the light up sabers. Why in the world wouldn't they have released those with the movie?

bigbarada
04-22-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm sure it helps your collecting yen that you hit the character lottery, that Hasbro is doing several figures you want after years of ignoring them.

"Hit the character lottery." That's a great way to phrase it and pretty much exactly what's happening for me right now.

It's been a long, long uphill climb for me to finally get to the point that I'm actually holding a Kithaba action figure in my hands. I don't think I will ever anticipate a figure as much as this one again, as many of you on this forum can attest to since you've seen me carrying the torch for this guy for nearly a decade now. In fact, I can't even remember who it was that held the #1 spot on my wishlist prior to Kithaba, most likely Ephant Mon, but I didn't even consider him a realistic possibility until he popped up in the 2001 Fans' Choice Poll. Then he won and was released the next year in 2002. So there wasn't really too much up and down drama involved (except for the minor controversy with someone stuffing the ballot box for the Twilek Masseuse).

Around 2008, I was starting to lose hope that we would ever see a Kithaba figure until I noticed that he was starting to rank higher and higher on the different wishlist polls that many sites were running. That's one of the reasons that I decided to start up my SkiffGuards.com website in 2009, because I thought it would help clear up exactly who the character was and maybe give him that extra little boost towards eventually getting a figure made. Then he started popping in and out of rumor lists and I honestly believe that the questions this site submitted to the Q&A did a lot to help steer Hasbro in the direction of the Skiff Battle. So, thanks to JT and everyone on here who voted for the multiple Skiff Guard related questions we ended up submitting. It was actually an answer to one of those questions where we got our first confirmation of Kithaba and I couldn't have been happier. Then we saw the prototype and everything seemed to be going smoothly until the news of the unexplained delay of that entire wave of figures. That was like a punch in the gut and I was starting to suspect that Hasbro was stalling because they planned to quietly cancel the wave altogether. I think that was the reason that I was determined to secure multiple Kithaba figures once I saw them showing up on Ebay and money was going to be no object. I currently own 3 Kithaba figures, with at least one more on the way. I've probably spent close to $250 just to secure those figures; but once I got the first Kithaba figure in my hands, all thoughts of that money flew out the window. (That total does include the 3 Dr. Evazans and 2 each of Aayla Secura, Nom Anor and the 501st Clone that I ended up with).

Again, I will most likely never anticipate another action figure as much as I've anticipated Kithaba.

Sure, I'd be pretty stoked to see a Barada update; but that excitement will be diluted by the fact that we've already had 2 Barada figures released in the modern line (3 if you count the Galactic Heroes figure). Yotts Oren (or whatever his name is this month) would be cool too, but he loses some points on the excitement scale because I never once saw a photo of him when I was a kid, so there isn't that extra little bit of satisfaction where I can say, "I really would have loved this figure as a kid." Kithaba and Ephant Mon fill that requirement for me, but if someone had presented a Yotts Oren figure to my 10-year-old self my reaction would have been, "Who is this guy? I don't see a picture of him in my Return of the Jedi book."

I do want a new Barada and Yotts Oren, mind you; but they feel more like automated choices because they just happen to be the next names on the list. It's the same with Vedain and Velken Tezeri. They are really just empty slots on the Skiff that need to be filled, not necessarily figures that I'm truly excited about.

So, I've reached the crest of a pretty major hill in my collecting lifetime and it's going to be interesting (and maybe a bit unexpected) to see what things look like from this point on. I could end up eventually leaving the hobby, but it wouldn't be out of frustration, like what many are expressing here, more like satisfaction. Basically, Hasbro gave me pretty much everything I ever wanted out of a Star Wars toy line, so it might just be time to move on.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Dang JJL, it seems like holding back has caused an explosion from within you. Everything you are saying is true true true, but I'm surprised as you have been vehemently opposed to giving in to voicing such things.

I want the Wave 2 figures, right? So I look at the upcoming case assortments for waves 3, 4, and 4r1, hoping to see a case that has carried them forward - that's the POINT of carrying figures forward, right? So what do I see instead? MORE F'ING QUI-GONS AND OBI-WANS AND NABOO GUARDS!!! Wave 1 garbage that's weighing down every peg is getting carried forward for months while an entire near-missing wave of new figures isn't. That's just STUPID. And it's not like it's a singular mistake, it's a pattern of behavior, season after season we're seeing more of this awful planning. Killing the Deluxe Vehicle line to sell more of the middling ARC-170 nobody wanted? Rereleasing stuff no collector wants in the collector-only line (that's why we're paying a dollar more per figure, because Hasbro said the line would only focus on collectors so it was to make up for the lower kid-less sales) especially the vehicles you cited is a perfect example, it's like they're actively mishandling the line.
Well, a lot of the issues over the past few years have been first-time mistakes, like releasing the same figure (or at least character) in different lines simultaneously or starting out new lines with repacks. So I was giving them the benefit of the doubt; sometimes things legitimately don't work out, or something gets screwed up along the line, or whatever. Things like prices climbing by a dollar every few years were unfortunate but understandable, since the figures were, overall, continually getting better. Things tend to settle after accidents; pegwarmers do eventually get cleared out, even if it takes longer than we'd like.

But with this year's line it seems like they really, truly haven't learned anything from those mistakes. Figures are either flying off the shelves before most people can find them, or pegwarming hard; there's hardly any middle ground. They can make simple changes to mostly-repacked figures to entice longtime collectors to pick up figures - if Vintage Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had ball-jointed hips, or at the very least the far superior headsculpts from the Movie Heroes lines on the existing bodies (which wouldn't have cost them really anything since the tooling's already there in the MH line), there's no way they would be sitting like they are. I get that they might not have had much time to put together the TPM 3D line, which is why they had to rely on old molds for a lot of products. But then they pick the worst possible products, or just make weird choices all over the place. Why a 2002 Darth Vader, without his giant accessory and still a weird ANH/ESB mishmash, but now for $9? Why re-release the pod racers but not any figures that can actually fit in them? (It's both funny and maddening that Anakin's pod racer shows an image of the figure that was packed in with the first release, which, by the way, was $10 cheaper, even with the included figure.) Some things are just strange new directions, like the renewed focus on playability in the Movie Heroes line - of course, these are toys, and if they have to have things like this, then a non-Vintage line is the way to go, but it is strange to see these types of figures (and in most cases, the figures themselves) for the first time since 2005. Had this line premiered with wave 2, or at least picked better versions of the characters from wave 1, then I don't think it would be nearly as bad (but, again, the whole starting-with-overpriced-repacks thing).

I was even waiting out the Q&A to get better, hoping Jeff's subpar answers (compared to Derryl's general thoughtful, well-written responses) would have improved given enough time. But nope, better to just end it completely, I guess. Even one question per site per month would have yielded a lot of responses, and not taken up that much of their time.

I'm rambling and repeating myself, so I suppose I'll stop. I still love and collect the line, which is why these issues are so bothersome to me.

Snowtrooper
04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Jeff, who runs the Hasbro SW brand right now, before this he ran the GI Joe brand. TF has gone through a number of brand management and design team changes in the last few years. It's like Hasbro's problems are 100% at the top, shifting key team members out of their crucial positions and just randomly throwing anybody else into the position because they have seniority at the company.

This is what really seems is happening right now. It is one of the worst scenarios for the future of SW collecting. They will run the SW line into the ground and then say that nobody is interested in SW anymore rather then blame their horrible mismanagement of the line. Until they change the people running the SW brand, expect more of the same.

TheDarthVader
04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I have not posted in a while, but here I am back again.

I can't find anything either. Hasbro needs to stop repacking figures that are still warming the pegs. Nobody wants them! Like the 7 tpm figures that are packed with the five new figures (deleted scenes). This is starting to suck for us collectors. I do not know how much longer I will continue to collect hasbro figures. I am already down to just collecting Return of The Jedi figures....mainly.

JediTricks
04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
The McQuarrie book came in, another artwork purchase that is far more satisfying than struggling to find crumbs of the Hasbro line. And yet I want to be loyal, I want the Hasbro line to be the chief focus of my SW collecting dollars, it's just that with every action they take Hasbro seems to disagree.

I seriously just hope that I get Dr. Evazan before things might crash and burn...

I still cannot really believe they're going to release that big troop carrier from TPM this year. It not only is a big vehicle that no one was asking for, that defies every rule of what we were told was needed for a big vehicle (dyanmic, iconic), but if they were going to do this, why oh why wouldn't they release it with the movie! I can't understand. I have never seen the resclupted Naboo Fighter, and still haven't seen the Obi-wan or Qui-Gon with the light up sabers. Why in the world wouldn't they have released those with the movie?
Tycho was asking for it, but I agree, the MTT really was a wild swing. I think someone saw that there was a slot open for "big vehicle" and presumed too heavily that the 3D release of Episode I would carry throughout the year instead of fizzle after a week, and didn't put enough thought into the rest of the needs of the market. And then it's carrying a massive $135 pricetag, which means it's aiming for the holiday season to make its money back.

"Hit the character lottery." That's a great way to phrase it and pretty much exactly what's happening for me right now.

It's been a long, long uphill climb for me to finally get to the point that I'm actually holding a Kithaba action figure in my hands. I don't think I will ever anticipate a figure as much as this one again, as many of you on this forum can attest to since you've seen me carrying the torch for this guy for nearly a decade now. In fact, I can't even remember who it was that held the #1 spot on my wishlist prior to Kithaba, most likely Ephant Mon, but I didn't even consider him a realistic possibility until he popped up in the 2001 Fans' Choice Poll. Then he won and was released the next year in 2002. So there wasn't really too much up and down drama involved (except for the minor controversy with someone stuffing the ballot box for the Twilek Masseuse).

Around 2008, I was starting to lose hope that we would ever see a Kithaba figure until I noticed that he was starting to rank higher and higher on the different wishlist polls that many sites were running. That's one of the reasons that I decided to start up my SkiffGuards.com website in 2009, because I thought it would help clear up exactly who the character was and maybe give him that extra little boost towards eventually getting a figure made. Then he started popping in and out of rumor lists and I honestly believe that the questions this site submitted to the Q&A did a lot to help steer Hasbro in the direction of the Skiff Battle. So, thanks to JT and everyone on here who voted for the multiple Skiff Guard related questions we ended up submitting. It was actually an answer to one of those questions where we got our first confirmation of Kithaba and I couldn't have been happier. Then we saw the prototype and everything seemed to be going smoothly until the news of the unexplained delay of that entire wave of figures. That was like a punch in the gut and I was starting to suspect that Hasbro was stalling because they planned to quietly cancel the wave altogether. I think that was the reason that I was determined to secure multiple Kithaba figures once I saw them showing up on Ebay and money was going to be no object. I currently own 3 Kithaba figures, with at least one more on the way. I've probably spent close to $250 just to secure those figures; but once I got the first Kithaba figure in my hands, all thoughts of that money flew out the window. (That total does include the 3 Dr. Evazans and 2 each of Aayla Secura, Nom Anor and the 501st Clone that I ended up with).

Again, I will most likely never anticipate another action figure as much as I've anticipated Kithaba.

Sure, I'd be pretty stoked to see a Barada update; but that excitement will be diluted by the fact that we've already had 2 Barada figures released in the modern line (3 if you count the Galactic Heroes figure). Yotts Oren (or whatever his name is this month) would be cool too, but he loses some points on the excitement scale because I never once saw a photo of him when I was a kid, so there isn't that extra little bit of satisfaction where I can say, "I really would have loved this figure as a kid." Kithaba and Ephant Mon fill that requirement for me, but if someone had presented a Yotts Oren figure to my 10-year-old self my reaction would have been, "Who is this guy? I don't see a picture of him in my Return of the Jedi book."

I do want a new Barada and Yotts Oren, mind you; but they feel more like automated choices because they just happen to be the next names on the list. It's the same with Vedain and Velken Tezeri. They are really just empty slots on the Skiff that need to be filled, not necessarily figures that I'm truly excited about.

So, I've reached the crest of a pretty major hill in my collecting lifetime and it's going to be interesting (and maybe a bit unexpected) to see what things look like from this point on. I could end up eventually leaving the hobby, but it wouldn't be out of frustration, like what many are expressing here, more like satisfaction. Basically, Hasbro gave me pretty much everything I ever wanted out of a Star Wars toy line, so it might just be time to move on.It's funny how one's collection passions can ebb and flow like a tide. Your site definitely has done a good job keeping the skiff guard understanding together, and it's the passion for doing something like that which can carry one a long ways.

Dang dude, you did put out a lot of scratch to get those figures, I'm glad you at least have some others to show with it. :D

Well, a lot of the issues over the past few years have been first-time mistakes, like releasing the same figure (or at least character) in different lines simultaneously or starting out new lines with repacks. So I was giving them the benefit of the doubt; sometimes things legitimately don't work out, or something gets screwed up along the line, or whatever. Things like prices climbing by a dollar every few years were unfortunate but understandable, since the figures were, overall, continually getting better. Things tend to settle after accidents; pegwarmers do eventually get cleared out, even if it takes longer than we'd like.

But with this year's line it seems like they really, truly haven't learned anything from those mistakes. Figures are either flying off the shelves before most people can find them, or pegwarming hard; there's hardly any middle ground. They can make simple changes to mostly-repacked figures to entice longtime collectors to pick up figures - if Vintage Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had ball-jointed hips, or at the very least the far superior headsculpts from the Movie Heroes lines on the existing bodies (which wouldn't have cost them really anything since the tooling's already there in the MH line), there's no way they would be sitting like they are. I get that they might not have had much time to put together the TPM 3D line, which is why they had to rely on old molds for a lot of products. But then they pick the worst possible products, or just make weird choices all over the place. Why a 2002 Darth Vader, without his giant accessory and still a weird ANH/ESB mishmash, but now for $9? Why re-release the pod racers but not any figures that can actually fit in them? (It's both funny and maddening that Anakin's pod racer shows an image of the figure that was packed in with the first release, which, by the way, was $10 cheaper, even with the included figure.) Some things are just strange new directions, like the renewed focus on playability in the Movie Heroes line - of course, these are toys, and if they have to have things like this, then a non-Vintage line is the way to go, but it is strange to see these types of figures (and in most cases, the figures themselves) for the first time since 2005. Had this line premiered with wave 2, or at least picked better versions of the characters from wave 1, then I don't think it would be nearly as bad (but, again, the whole starting-with-overpriced-repacks thing).

I was even waiting out the Q&A to get better, hoping Jeff's subpar answers (compared to Derryl's general thoughtful, well-written responses) would have improved given enough time. But nope, better to just end it completely, I guess. Even one question per site per month would have yielded a lot of responses, and not taken up that much of their time.

I'm rambling and repeating myself, so I suppose I'll stop. I still love and collect the line, which is why these issues are so bothersome to me.They're first-time only for Jeff, the brand itself has had a longer life and has seen some of these same mistakes both in the '80s and in the late '90s. So I do see what you mean, but I am not as forgiving because the brand under Hasbro's guide has been around for 17 years now and they really as a company should have some checks and balances to keep new team members from making such HUGE mistakes, especially on the heels of a multi-year successful run.

This year's mistakes seem to be amplifying past mistakes to an Nth degree, not just SW but I'm seeing it in Transformers too. Still, the SW mistakes are maddening, your point about them trotting out 7-year-old second-stringer molds from ROTS for the $8/$9 Movie Heroes line makes me claw at the heavens with frustration. NOBODY wants those molds, they were cashing in on the movie's momentum, ensuring kids could still get this and that when the collectors ate up all the higher-quality versions. But they're junk, they're a waste of resources, and they're certainly not worth eight or nine bucks.

Your point about Q&A is also understood.

This is what really seems is happening right now. It is one of the worst scenarios for the future of SW collecting. They will run the SW line into the ground and then say that nobody is interested in SW anymore rather then blame their horrible mismanagement of the line. Until they change the people running the SW brand, expect more of the same.I fear that prediction is accurate, but I couldn't even guess at it, things are so different from how they were in '85 in terms of corporate thinking, yet we're also seeing some of those same '85 problems coming to roost as well. I don't know what to expect.

I have not posted in a while, but here I am back again.

I can't find anything either. Hasbro needs to stop repacking figures that are still warming the pegs. Nobody wants them! Like the 7 tpm figures that are packed with the five new figures (deleted scenes). This is starting to suck for us collectors. I do not know how much longer I will continue to collect hasbro figures. I am already down to just collecting Return of The Jedi figures....mainly.That's gotta suck doubly for you then because wave 2 is all ROTJ and is essentially missing in action, with only Luke getting any hope of a repack in the next waves coming out (he's in 1 case, Wave 4 Revision 1).

Tycho
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I bolded the figures I think I might be interested in. Distribution is not a big deal to me. I'll get off my butt and stake out the stores and get these. I don't want large quantities of any, especially none beyond 5, tops.

Wave 12 - New mixed waves resume
__ VC92: Anakin Skywalker (The Clone Wars)
__ VC93: Darth Vader (A New Hope)
__ VC94: Imperial Navy Trooper
__ VC95: Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
__ VC96: Darth Malgus (The Old Republic)

Wave 13
__ VC97: Clone Pilot Davijaan (Oddball)
__ VC98: Grand Moff Tarkin
__ VC99: Nikto (Vintage)
__ VC100: Galen Marek (The Force Unleashed II)
__ VC101: Shae Vizsla

Wave 14 - The Phantom Menace (carry-forwards from "Discover the Force")
__ VC71: Mawhonic
__ VC72: Naboo Pilot
__ VC73: Aurra Sing
__ VC74: Gungan Warrior

Wave 16
__ VC102: Ahsoka Tano (The Clone Wars)
__ VC103: Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars)
__ VC104: Lumat
__ VC105: Emperor's Royal Guard
__ VC106: Nien Nunb
__ VC107: Weequay (Hunter)

Wave 15 - Delayed from 2011
__ VC56: Kithaba
__ VC57: Dr. Cornelius Evazan
__ VC58: Aayla Secura
__ VC59: Nom Anor
__ VC60: Clone Trooper (501st Legion)

Wave 17: includes "Cardbon Freeze Chamber" Chase Figures
__ VC108: Jar Jar Binks
__ VC109: Clone Trooper Lieutenant
__ VC110: Shock Trooper
__ VC111: Leia Organa (Bespin)
__ VC112: Sandtrooper (with Patrol Droid)

Wave 18
__ VC114: Orrimarko
__ VC115: Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
__ VC116: Republic Trooper

Note: The following confirmed figures are arranged by movie. When more details are revealed, the figures will be numbered and moved above.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
__ VC###: Sebulba

Episode II: Attack of the Clones
__ VC###: Jocasta Nu

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
__ VC###: Cin Drallig
__ VC###: Wookiee

Episode IV: A New Hope
__ VC###: Princess Leia
__ VC###: R2-A5

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
__ VC###: Lando Calrissian

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
__ VC###: 8D8
__ VC###: A-Wing Pilot
__ VC###: Emperor Palpatine
__ VC###: Luke Skywalker (Jabba's Palace)
__ VC###: Widdle & Oochee

Expanded Universe
__ VC###: Cade Skywalker
__ VC###: Chuka-Trok
__ VC###: Dash Rendar
__ VC###: Guri (SOTE: Evolutions)
__ VC###: Mara Jade Skywalker (Fans' Choice Figure Winner)
__ VC###: Mirith Sinn

And from Clone Wars:

Wave 2
__ ***: Captain Rex (Phase 2)
__ ***: Obi-Wan Kenobi
__ ***: Republic Commando Boss

__ ***: Ahsoka Tano (Scuba Gear)
__ ***: Super Battle Droid
__ ***: Clone Commander Wolffe (Phase II)
__ ***: Commander Fox
__ ***: Darth Maul (Cyborg) - maybe. They should have left Maul DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!

Devo
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Distribution isn't a major problem for me since I pretty much buy everything online...actually no I really do buy everything online these days. Its cheaper for me.

I still have been drifting away but thats for 2 other reasons - one as I mentioned in another thread I can't display my collection anymore, its all boxed up - but second is I'm only collecting OT now and with mixed-figure waves, clone wars and movie heroes theres hardly anything coming out from the OT anymore. Least thats how it seems to me. If there was I'd be buying them, and I've been buying sweet feck all SW stuff the past year or more. This hasn't really bothered me though because of no longer having my collection on display anymore and because I've jumped heavily into high-end figures from other movies.

So, for me, if they want to keep trickling out the jabbas palace/skiff battle figures, cantina aliens and ewoks I'll buy them as and when they do. If it all ended...well we've gotten almost 20 years out of the 'modern' line.

JediTricks
04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Just got 6 more RMQ posters on canvas delivered to my doorstep, and now it's time to start putting more efforts into framing them, with the goal ultimately of hanging them. All of that is money that could have been Hasbro's, but instead not. Very satisfying to have something to collect, very frustrating that it's not from my 17-year-long hobby.

jonthejedi
05-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Honestly...most of my discretionary income(hobby money) now goes to Sideshow & Hot Toys. Sorry, Hasbro...you've changed the conditions once too many times.

JetsAndHeels
05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
IThe worst part is that that I almost feel lucky about not finding new Hasbro product because if I did, I'd have to struggle to decide whether or not it'd be worth the heavily overpriced pricetags it now carries.

I'm late to this thread, but I find myself in the same boat on this.

I stated in the Transformers thread that I am jealous that people are finding these new items, while my stores haven't had anything new in over a month. If that wasn't bad enough, the distribution on Star Wars has been even worse. There has yet to be a single new figure in any store near me since the Episode I wave hit from the vintage collection. How long has that been, like 2 months? Don't even get me started on the next wave of movie heroes. I want that whole wave pretty much, but I have yet to see anything new in that line at all.

Darth Metalmute
05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
This problem is partially caused by "street dating" items. By making everyone wait for a specific date, it creates an un-natural desire to buy these figures. The stores over stock them due to these desires, only to have consumers "priced out" of getting them all. It's happened with all the recent SW releases. The first wave is over stocked, and the stores never order new waves or when they do, distribution centers send wave 1 again. If Hasbro wants to turn around profit margins they need to stop street dating items. Release them as they make them and keep their own website stocked up. It's ridiculous that their own website can't keep new items in.

Obsession is Nute
05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Indeed, it has been a tough couple of years. I have been pouring my money into eBay old vehicles that I didn't have the space for, at the time. My love has always been the figures, but Hasbro has completely failed reasonable distribution and pacing for the last few years. 2007 was the last year I really felt they had a good pace, where I had new figures every six weeks or so. Now it is maybe every quarter? I am sorry, I am an addict and I need my Star Wars fix regularly or I get antsy.

Look Hasbro, I will spend my money on Star Wars merchandise. That is not in question. The question is weather YOU want my money or you would prefer some other lincensee to get it. George gets his cut of my paycheck all the same, it is you that has decided to not work for my dollars anymore.

Neuroleptic
05-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Honestly...most of my discretionary income(hobby money) now goes to Sideshow & Hot Toys. Sorry, Hasbro...you've changed the conditions once too many times.

I'm concidering doing this as well. Granted the side show figures cost a lot.

Buuut when even an expensive 100 dollar one costs as much as only 10 vintage figures it's starting to look like a better, more enjoyable option if things don't change soon. I have been concidering downsizing my collection of late, too. If things don't change with the line soon, this may be the direction I go.

Just buy one sideshow figure a year off ebay that's been out a while that I like and call it good. They really are amazing. I have two, both christmas presents from my wife. Leia in her bounty hunter disquise (Absolutely AMAZING figure) and Qigon Gin (who is ok as well. Though I have to wonder if my wife got me him because he was cheep!).

JediTricks
05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
This would be like if Vader showed up at Cloud City without stormtroopers, a lightsaber, and his armor, and then started changing conditions over and over. Eventually Lando's gonna shrug and say no, walk away, maybe plot the old frail cyborg's "accidental" death leaving his landing platform.

I'm late to this thread, but I find myself in the same boat on this.

I stated in the Transformers thread that I am jealous that people are finding these new items, while my stores haven't had anything new in over a month. If that wasn't bad enough, the distribution on Star Wars has been even worse. There has yet to be a single new figure in any store near me since the Episode I wave hit from the vintage collection. How long has that been, like 2 months? Don't even get me started on the next wave of movie heroes. I want that whole wave pretty much, but I have yet to see anything new in that line at all.Worse, it's been nearly 5 months since that Ep 1 wave hit.

I've entirely given up on looking for Clone Wars and Movie Heroes, stores around here are clogged with wave 1 garbage.

This problem is partially caused by "street dating" items. By making everyone wait for a specific date, it creates an un-natural desire to buy these figures. The stores over stock them due to these desires, only to have consumers "priced out" of getting them all. It's happened with all the recent SW releases. The first wave is over stocked, and the stores never order new waves or when they do, distribution centers send wave 1 again. If Hasbro wants to turn around profit margins they need to stop street dating items. Release them as they make them and keep their own website stocked up. It's ridiculous that their own website can't keep new items in.HTS actually won't stock individual TVC figures anymore because of how bad the case assortments are, they essentially are run like a separate business in that they have to place orders and manage old stock, and TVC's case assortments have created so many pegwarmers that they no longer will sell anything but the cases - Hasbro SW said this wasn't supposed to be the situation, but even Hasbro's own store can't make it work with what they're doing. Right now, the only TVC case they have in stock is - you guessed it - wave 1, TPM. Wave 3 is sold out, and it has half the case dedicated to the same garbage from wave 1. Pegs across the country are stuffed with those figures, so what does wave 3 have? Baby Anakin, Naboo Guard, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, BD, Maul, and Sidious. Great plan Hasbro. Of course, the street date thing is partly on Lucasfilm for overhyping to retailers and licensees how well the 3D release would impact consumers.

Indeed, it has been a tough couple of years. I have been pouring my money into eBay old vehicles that I didn't have the space for, at the time. My love has always been the figures, but Hasbro has completely failed reasonable distribution and pacing for the last few years. 2007 was the last year I really felt they had a good pace, where I had new figures every six weeks or so. Now it is maybe every quarter? I am sorry, I am an addict and I need my Star Wars fix regularly or I get antsy.

Look Hasbro, I will spend my money on Star Wars merchandise. That is not in question. The question is weather YOU want my money or you would prefer some other lincensee to get it. George gets his cut of my paycheck all the same, it is you that has decided to not work for my dollars anymore.It was every 6 to 8 weeks even last year, just that there was a lot of collision stemming all the way back from TVC wave 1 which just had too many pegwarmers shipping too often, and it slowed down ordering and stocking of product into 2011.

Ha, yeah, Lucas is still getting paid off my purchases, just not through Hasbro. What a weird thought. If I were Lucas, I'd be trying to crack down, get his biggest license back in order.

I'm concidering doing this as well. Granted the side show figures cost a lot.

Buuut when even an expensive 100 dollar one costs as much as only 10 vintage figures it's starting to look like a better, more enjoyable option if things don't change soon. I have been concidering downsizing my collection of late, too. If things don't change with the line soon, this may be the direction I go.

Just buy one sideshow figure a year off ebay that's been out a while that I like and call it good. They really are amazing. I have two, both christmas presents from my wife. Leia in her bounty hunter disquise (Absolutely AMAZING figure) and Qigon Gin (who is ok as well. Though I have to wonder if my wife got me him because he was cheep!).That's a good point, 10 TVC figures you can't find vs 1 Sideshow figure you didn't have to hunt down and is 6x larger and better sculpted and painted does have a bit of a nice ring to it. I'm currently focusing on the artwork, but the funny thing is, like Sideshow, my interest in the artwork is only going to be in very small batches, Hasbro was an all-time hobby but now it's not, so eventually that'll suck my collecting dollars out of SW entirely.

I really like that Sideshow Leia Boushh. Qui-Gon ain't so bad, but yeah, probably it was cost. :p