PDA

View Full Version : why are qui-gonn and anikan running...

ki-adi mundi's bro
08-26-2001, 07:45 PM
why are they running right before they see darth maul???
esp or something??

Jargo
08-26-2001, 08:57 PM
It's a continuity error due to the editing out of a scene where Qui-Gon encounters one of Maul's probe droids and destroys it with his saber.
They are running to get back to the ship and warn the others that something is amiss.
Qui-Gon is a wily old dog and Knowing that the Queen is in danger already from the trade federation, suspects that someone has been sent to track them down. This is why he is not really that surprised when maul shows up just a couple of minutes later, all saber blades flashing.

bigbarada
08-27-2001, 12:08 AM
The extra-super-special DVD edition will clear this right up.:D

GNT
08-27-2001, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The extra-super-special DVD edition will clear this right up.:D

Depends if it ever comes out, knowing George it'll be pushed back to next year :)

evenflow
08-27-2001, 09:51 AM
It does look wierd that they were running. I don't see why they could just not leave in the scene of the probe finding. In all seriousnees it looks as if "hey, lets run in the middle of the desert for fun."

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 10:33 AM
The reason given is why they are running, however...
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
This is why he is not really that surprised when maul shows up just a couple of minutes later, all saber blades flashing. this isn't accurate. According to the illustrated screenplay, Qui-Gon only knows that Maul's coming when he turns to respond to Anakin's comment and sees the speederbike bearing down on them. Here's everything from the Probe Droid right to the start of that lightsaber battle:
-----------------
ANAKIN runs to join QUI-GON, who has already started down the street. As they walk along together, QUI-GON notices something out of the corner of his eye.

Suddenly, without breaking his stride, he ignites his laser sword, swing around, and lunges forward and cuts a lurking PROBE DROID in half. QUI-GON inspects the sparking and fizzing DROID.

ANAKIN: What is it?
QUI-GON: Probe droid. Very unusual... not like anything I've seen before. Come on.

QUI-GON and ANAKIN start running.

EXT. TATOOINE - DESERT - NABOO SPACECRAFT - DAY

QUI-GON and ANAKIN run toward the Naboo spacecraft. ANAKIN is having a hard time keeping up.

ANAKIN: Master Qui-Gon, sir, wait!

QUI-GON turns to answer and sees a DARK-CLOAKED FIGURE bearing down on a speeder bike.

QUI-GON: Anakin, drop!

ANAKIN drops to the ground just as DARTH MAUL sweeps over him. DARTH MAUL jumps off his speeder bike, and before he has hit the ground, the Sith Lord has swung a death blow with his laser sword that is barely blocked by QUI-GON.
-----------------
BTW, I'd like to hollar at Lucas for a few hours over those uses of "laser sword" (which he even gets into the film's dialogue! AAAAAAAAGH!), that term drives me BONKERS! Everything elegant and naturally-flowing about the word "lightsaber" is MISSING from that other term, which is awful and grating; every time I hear it, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard or a fork across a plate.

Obi-Don
08-27-2001, 08:23 PM
That scene with the droid should have been lefted in.It would have made the running scene better and more understandable.Its a shame the parts cut out that would make a flim better.

Sliver FBI
08-28-2001, 01:28 AM
I always assumed they were running because they had already lost a lot of time on Tatooine and had to get to Coruscant ASAP.

I hope the Probe Droid scene is on the DVD.

Lobito
10-08-2001, 09:16 PM
Besides the screenplay, you can find that "deleted fact from the movie" in the EPI book...even in the schoolastic version!!

Starfig873
10-09-2001, 07:58 AM
That whole scene never cought my eye until now. But it is odd...

heh heh, maybe Qui-Gon was chasing Annie?

"C'mere you little rat!"

"But I just wanted *huff* to see your *puff* laser sword...."

See? It could work :p

JEDIpartner
10-09-2001, 10:44 AM
Qui-Gon was doing Shmi a huge favour. He got her all of that money so she could live comfortably and she asked him to get her whiny kid away from her. She didn't care what he did with him just as long as she didn't have to hear, "Awww... Mom!!!" and "Yippee!!!" again. Qui-Gon figured he could leave him out in the desert where he would be killed by Tusken Raiders or devoured by a Krayt Dragon or something. He was running to try and ditch the kid!!! :D

Seriously... wouldn't you?

Starfig873
10-09-2001, 11:58 AM
Annie: "But Mr. Qui-Gon sir...."

QG:"SHUT UP KID! I am just Qui-Gon Jinn"

Annie: "Yippeee! Wizards! I made you a japore snippet"

QG: "GAAAAA! Come here! I'll get you! Just gimme a chance!"

Jargo
10-09-2001, 05:07 PM
The dark eye probe discovery scene is indeed on the DVD as part of the scene where ANNIE says goodbye to Jira. Just as ANNIE says to Qui-Gon "Mr. Qui-Gon Sir, the sun'll come out tomorrow. Bet you're bottom creditchip that tomorrow, come what may....." They turn to see the probe dancing in a duff stagey way that ruins the moment so Qui-Gon whips out his long one and slices the droid in two. :)

Starfig873
10-09-2001, 08:58 PM
LOL! Oh man! That was great! *wipes tear from eye* good one EJ.

This actually looks to be a good scene on the DVD.

GNT
10-10-2001, 04:57 AM
Qui gon needed to chuck a *wizz* but didn't want to do it in the public eye

"Its only 20minutes to the Royal cruiser,I'll make it" Qui Gon said

*fart noise heard* I think you should go now?" - Anakin

Anyway 15-25minutes later...

"Keep up annie,I'm going to blow any second now! Get down!"

*Annie gets down when Maul jumps off his speeder,Qui gon and maul battle for a few minutes ,Qui gon jumps up and into the cruiser and falls to the ground*

"Obi Wan Kenobi this is Anakin Skywalker,he got us the parts,if you excuse me I need to go to the loo.

This scene got cut so hopefully it'll be in the DVD :p

Lobito
10-10-2001, 07:10 PM
Wow, thats the longest post GNT has ever written!!:eek: :D

Anyway..Qui Gonn and Annie were running cuzz they were going to miss the Friends Show!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2001, 07:22 PM
Wow, thats the longest post GNT has ever written!!

LOL (that's an inside joke, too)

JT, watch out for that "laser sword" complaining. Remember how it got compared to "cheap Mexican rip-offs" and some posters took exception to such things, the last time this came up? ;)

As to why they were running, it's easy. Qui-Gon was beginning Anakin's training. Actually, QG was supposed to be in a backpack on Anakin's back, then Anakin pulls himself up by a vine and does flips in midair. The two were just looking for a cave to enter. :p

Lobito
10-10-2001, 08:06 PM
Its true!!! That was the longest post (at least the longest i have seen so far) that GNT has written...it doesnt bother me that he writes small posts, thats just the way GNT is, there are also some guys that write books as posts, but i like them both, i find myself laughing all the time with the jokes we all post:D Now...about that "cheap Mexican rip off":mad: what was that??:confused: ...hehehe j/k!!!:p

Have fun guys!!!:)

master jedi
10-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
thats just the way GNT is

Yeah. At post padding

GNT
10-11-2001, 05:33 AM
Calm down master jedi, If you joined forced with me you would have heaps more posts now,get over it :D :p

Calm down guys,no need to get over act about "my longest post ever" :p to tell the truth when I did my "figures I want to see made" lists from the movies, They were longer,that was on the old boards though :)

Starfig873
10-11-2001, 08:00 AM
There, there GNT. There, there. This thread is ripe with funny...and we should harvest it! Harvest it like the most intoxicating funny around!

JEDIpartner
10-11-2001, 09:58 AM
Is it "Funny" because:

a) it's true

b) it's sad

c) it's not about you

d) all of the above

Lobito
10-11-2001, 03:48 PM
hehehe...:p

ok, my answer is d) all of the above.:D

master jedi
10-11-2001, 09:57 PM
my answer is e) both a & b :p

JediTricks
10-12-2001, 10:02 AM
The "laser sword/cheap mexican knock-off" comment is in reference to this thread: Two words that make my skin crawl - "Laser Sword" (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=9&PID=3577)

And my explanation of the comment is about 20 posts down the first page.

Lobito
10-12-2001, 03:20 PM
hehehehehehe...ok.

Here's the scoop:

In México the correct translation for the word "Lightsaber" would be: "Sable de luz" Sable of light or...Lightsaber.:eek:

Now...i dont know who was the guy who translated the movie (for México) but i think he considered the following facts:

A saber is a rounded sword...like the japanese "Katana"
A normal sword...is just straight up. Like the medieval's swords.

Maybe he thought saber would not be accurate in the translation and thus...we ended up in "Laser Sword" he changed the word light for laser...and saber for sword. The translation in spanish for Laser Sword is: "Espada Laser". But that was only used in México, Central and South Aerica. Several years ago i went to Spain and saw a New Hope...but the movie was in spanish sound!! Now in Spain they used the correct translation for lightsaber...they called it "Sable de Luz", but that was just in Spain.

Anyway...if we all think about it, all the SW names are silly...just look at the title: Star Wars...hehehe they changed that name in France, the french Canadian region (Quebec province ) and in México also...they called it "La guerra de las galaxias"..."The War of the galaxies"...While the correct translation would be: "Guerras de Estrella" or "Guerra de las Estrellas"...:D

I understand what u said about the chep products my country produces...for instance i was unhappy when México started producing Sw figures...the cards were of course in spanish, and the back of the cards had no color!! Can u imagine???:eek: Anyway, it only lasted 2 years (1984/85) All of this changed when NAFTA took control...they are now Trilogo...(They sell them in normal stores) Not the store i buy my figures though...they ship those figures direclt from the U.S.

Anyway...thats the scoop!!:cool: :D

Have fun my friends!!

JediTricks
10-13-2001, 12:59 PM
The term "laser sword" has been around since before Star Wars was released in Mexico, people around LFL were using the term during the production of ANH. It's not an issue of translation, it's simply an ugly term in ANY language IMO. ;)

ThomasLane
10-15-2001, 10:46 AM
I thought Mr. Lucas was just using the term "laser sword" to make it clear how stupid Anakin was. As we all know, by the time he becomes Darth Vader, he has figured out what it is really called. I am certain the next two movies will clear this up.

Lobito
10-15-2001, 09:54 PM
Still...Qui Gonn never "corrected" Anakin...maybe GL was trying to show the audience that for him "Laser Sword" and "Lightsaber" are the same thing...anyway...lets hope he clears this thing out in the following episodes.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2001, 11:23 PM
This might be more appropriate in the "Lines Cut From the Movie" thread:

Anakin: "You're a Jedi, right?"
Qui-Gon: "What makes you say that?"
Anakin: "I saw your laser sword."
Qui-Gon: "What are you talking about?"
Anakin: "Your laser sword. The weapon?"
Qui-Gon: "Uh, yeah. Whatever."
Anakin: "Well, are you a Jedi?"
Qui-Gon: "Jedi would never use 'laser swords.' It just sounds like a cheap knock-off comment to us, uh I mean them."
Anakin: "Oh... Wanna see my droid?"
Qui-Gon: "Is it a 'laser robot?' Hee hee!"
Anakin: "Grrr!"

Lobito
10-15-2001, 11:33 PM
Leia: "Laser Brain"
Han: "whats that"
Leia: oh, im sorry...i meant "light brain"
Han: oh yes...whatever.
Leia: huh???
GL: CUT!!!!!

:D :cool:

Rollo Tomassi
10-16-2001, 12:00 PM
Well, now people can't make cheap knock offs and call them laser swords because they are trademarked just like lightsabers. Next up, in EpII they are called plasma blades and In Ep III they are referred to as raybeam-katanas. G.Lu is just covering all his legal bases..:p :rolleyes: :p

JediCole
10-18-2001, 12:05 PM
If you have the DVD (like me as of last night) you will now know that Jargo was quite right. That is one shot that would have been well left in place. Plenty of others could have been sacrificed instead for the brief time needed to leave this continuity necessary scene intact.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Next up, in EpII they are called plasma blades and In Ep III they are referred to as raybeam-katanas. G.Lu is just covering all his legal bases..:p :rolleyes: :p

Great, Rollo! Others?
Refraction blades
Spectrum sabers
Prism pointers
Retinal-scan sycles
:p

Lobito
10-22-2001, 08:59 PM
:) Refraction blades :rolleyes: Spectrum sabers:eek: ...oh yes thats funny:D :cool: