PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Wave 4

bigbarada
04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I was too impatient to wait for this wave to start showing up in stores (especially after getting delayed 10 months for no reason at all), so I ordered one loose and one carded set off of Ebay.

For the most part, they all look really good. I'm not too interested in Nom Anor, so I'll probably be looking to trade or sell him off pretty soon here. I have both a loose and a carded version of him.

Anyways, after such a long wait, I can happily say that Kithaba, Dr. Evazan and Aayla Secura were worth every minute of it:

Aayla wasn't even one of the figures that I was really excited about, but she still turned out amazing. She's really tall, though, when you compare her up to a figure like Leia or most of the other female action figures in the line. In fact, Slave Leia barely comes up to the bottom of Aayla's chin.

After so many years of campaigning for a Kithaba figure, it's a little weird to actually hold him in my hands. My loose figure doesn't have a painted neck, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with all of them. It's hard to tell if the neck on my carded Kithaba is painted. Either way, it's not a big problem, because his head casts enough of a shadow that you barely even notice the lack of paint on his neck and it's something I can fix pretty easily later on. Regardless, he turned out perfect. 10 years of campaigning feels like it totally paid off. I also don't even mind the cardback image so much now that I have it in hand. I still wouldn't mind it being replaced with an actual photo of Kithaba, though.

Dr. Evazan is pretty awesome as well. Although he felt like more of a dutiful purchase than anything else; but I have no complaints whatsoever with how the figure turned out.

The 501st Clonetrooper actually looks pretty good if you lift his helmet off of his neck a bit. I also turned his head around so you don't see his chin poking out from under the helmet. I'll probably use some blu-tac to get the helmet to stay where I want it.

BTW, I looked but didn't see a dedicated thread for this wave, so I took the liberty of starting one. If a thread already exists, then please merge them together.

Snowtrooper
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I was impatient as well and ordered a couple cases off of BBTS. This is a busy time of year for me plus with questionable distribution, its much easier to just preorder it for a little more($120 per case) and not have to worry about finding it later. I got the revision case so I have less figures to unload. This was one wave I didn't want to miss out on.

Dr. Evazan and Kithaba are the two that I'm looking forward to the most. I've been wanting a proper Dr. E. for a long time and it looks like I can cross him off my list. You're right about Aayla as well BigB. She is probably the surprise figure of the wave. This wave will be in high demand.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2012, 07:42 PM
What'd they do to Evazan's face? :p He is probably the least attractive SW character ever, and that includes Malakili or Hermi O. :eek: But it's a good representation of the messed-up-ness of him.

Snowtrooper
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Well that was fast! BBTS sent an email saying preorder has arrived and has been processed. It was originally supposed to ship in May, so this was a pleasant surprise.

The uglier Evazan's face is, the better!!

mtriv73
04-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Mine shipped as well. Picked up an extra evazan from them so I don't have to worry about tracking it down.

JediTricks
04-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Nice get. Aayla does look quite a bit better than previous iterations, even if I also don't care about the figure. Kithaba looks good, sucks about the neck paint, but otherwise decent.

Then there's that Evazan with the skinny neck, narrow chin, winky bad eye paint, high forehead, and near-smiling expression. I know he's barely in the films, and that this is a huge update after so long, but... well, that pic just reinforces what I've been fearing from previous pictures, that they missed him in the little things.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, glad you got your figure after so much time!

El Chuxter
04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
It might be disappointing that they missed the mark after being constantly begged for ALMOST FIFTEEN YEARS for an Evazan that didn't suck, but, really, that figure looks light years beyond the stupid "Goof Troop reject" from the Cinema Scene.

Don't hate me because I'm right. I was going to post a side-by-side, but searching for images of the background characters from Goof Troop resulted in a disturbing number of erotic pictures of Pete's wife Peg from that series, even with SafeSearch on, and I need to go and spit out some vomit.

bigbarada
04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Here's a shot of Kithaba and the rest of the Vintage Prisoner Skiff figures. Hard to believe that 4 of these 5 figures have been released in the last year and we have one more (Weequay) on the way. After that, we just need Vedain, Velken Tezeri and a decent Carbonite Han and the Prisoner Skiff is done. Although, this pic really just demonstrates how badly we need a new Skiff:

Another picture illustrating Aayla's height. It's a pretty dramatic difference when you put her next to a figure like Leia:

JediTricks
04-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Here's a shot of Kithaba and the rest of the Vintage Prisoner Skiff figures. Hard to believe that 4 of these 5 figures have been released in the last year and we have one more (Weequay) on the way. After that, we just need Vedain, Velken Tezeri and a decent Carbonite Han and the Prisoner Skiff is done. Although, this pic really just demonstrates how badly we need a new Skiff:

Another picture illustrating Aayla's height. It's a pretty dramatic difference when you put her next to a figure like Leia:
Cool beans! Kinda surprised you don't have a placeholder for Han, Weequay, or Vedain on your skiff though.

Aayla looks ridiculous there, but according to Wookieepedia, Leia is 1.5m and Aayla is 1.78, in your photo Leia is 523px and Aayla is 623px, if Leia's height is accurate then 1m would equal 348.7px, and that times 1.78 would give you 620px, so it looks like Hasbro got her height right to within a scale-centimeter. Aayla is then the tallest woman in Star Wars movies at 5' 10". Aayla actress Amy Allen is an alliterative amusement, and is also around... (damn, now the fun breaks) 5' 8" tall, so it's not terribly far off.

El Chuxter
04-22-2012, 06:25 PM
How did they get a woman who's 5'8" to play a character that's 5'10"?

Really. The unprofessional lack of attention to detail in Hollywood p***es me off. :mad:

:crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
There's a new acting system to challenge the method acting school: arithmetic acting. It's motto? "Getting it right, one centimeter at a time" (see, I avoided the lamer "well, it's a stretch" line).

I was wary of getting AS because of previous figures (most look poorly if their shoulders are bare, with jointed arms), maybe not so this time around.

bigbarada
04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Cool beans! Kinda surprised you don't have a placeholder for Han, Weequay, or Vedain on your skiff though.

I don't like to use placeholder figures, because it makes it feel somewhat anticlimactic when you finally get the figure that the place is being held for. If I don't think any existing figures are worthy to fill a specific spot, then I'd rather just leave it empty than put a substandard figure in its place.

Anyways, I found this wave at Walmart today, but had the same issues with them not ringing up at the register. I picked up another Kithaba, Gamorrean Guard and Nom Anor (for trading fodder). They also had Dr. Evazan, Bespin Han, Bom Vimdin, and the Rebel Fleet Trooper; but no sign of Aayla or the 501st Clone.

JediTricks
04-23-2012, 04:32 PM
How did they get a woman who's 5'8" to play a character that's 5'10"?

Really. The unprofessional lack of attention to detail in Hollywood p***es me off. :mad:

:crazed:I guess it'd be the same casting director who thought 6' 2" Hayden Christensen could pass for 6' 6" David Prowse.

You can be such a child sometimes. :p

There's a new acting system to challenge the method acting school: arithmetic acting. It's motto? "Getting it right, one centimeter at a time" (see, I avoided the lamer "well, it's a stretch" line).And then you didn't avoid it. Shame on that pun! :D

I don't like to use placeholder figures, because it makes it feel somewhat anticlimactic when you finally get the figure that the place is being held for. If I don't think any existing figures are worthy to fill a specific spot, then I'd rather just leave it empty than put a substandard figure in its place.

Anyways, I found this wave at Walmart today, but had the same issues with them not ringing up at the register. I picked up another Kithaba, Gamorrean Guard and Nom Anor (for trading fodder). They also had Dr. Evazan, Bespin Han, Bom Vimdin, and the Rebel Fleet Trooper; but no sign of Aayla or the 501st Clone.I guess that makes sense, although your poor skiff has waited a decade just to get where it is.

Ugh, friggin' Walmart. They should go to hell for that crap, at least you got the figures though.

AAAAAARGH! That means wave 4 is hitting and I've not seen waves 2 or 3 yet!

DarkJedi5
04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
AAAAAARGH! That means wave 4 is hitting and I've not seen waves 2 or 3 yet!

Well, I dunno what's going on. I got an email from Brian's Toys today saying that they are considering wave 3 and 4 to be one wave. They have Evazan, Aayla, 501st Trooper, Kithaba, Hoth Luke, Nom Anor, ANH Vader, and CW Anakin as one wave. Is it really shipping to retail like that or did Brian's Toys just mash the two together?

bigbarada
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Looks like there may be some variations in this wave already. Dr. Evazan has been spotted with and without the pink scar under his right eye. It also seems that there might be a running change with Kithaba's bandana color from the incorrect brown-grey to red, which is the proper color.

JediTricks
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, I dunno what's going on. I got an email from Brian's Toys today saying that they are considering wave 3 and 4 to be one wave. They have Evazan, Aayla, 501st Trooper, Kithaba, Hoth Luke, Nom Anor, ANH Vader, and CW Anakin as one wave. Is it really shipping to retail like that or did Brian's Toys just mash the two together?That's weird. There is no case from Hasbro that has all that stuff.

Actually, I think I see it - wave 3 cases have the following new figures:
Vader ANH
Malgus
Hoth Luke
Death Star Trooper
CW Anakin
... and 7 figures from the TPM wave.

Wave 4 (non-revised) cases, meanwhile, have:
Aayla
Kithaba
Evazan
Nom Anor
... and 8 figures from past cases, like most of the Logray wave, the Gamorrean, and Maul.

Notice how waves 3 and 4 have zero crossover (except a single repack of Maul). They're also shipping right on top of each other, apparently. And then coming very soon will be...

Wave 4 Revision 1:
Aayla
Kithaba
Evazan
Nom Anor
501st Clone
CW Anakin
ANH Vader
Luke Hoth
Luke Blu Ray
TPM Qui-Gon
Wedge
Maul

So I think BT is just trying to make sure that the avalanche of cases they get from Hasbro don't back up since they have very little crossover.

DarkJedi5
04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
That's weird. There is no case from Hasbro that has all that stuff.

Actually, I think I see it - wave 3 cases have the following new figures:
Vader ANH
Malgus
Hoth Luke
Death Star Trooper
CW Anakin
... and 7 figures from the TPM wave.

Wave 4 (non-revised) cases, meanwhile, have:
Aayla
Kithaba
Evazan
Nom Anor
... and 8 figures from past cases, like most of the Logray wave, the Gamorrean, and Maul.

Notice how waves 3 and 4 have zero crossover (except a single repack of Maul). They're also shipping right on top of each other, apparently. And then coming very soon will be...

Wave 4 Revision 1:
Aayla
Kithaba
Evazan
Nom Anor
501st Clone
CW Anakin
ANH Vader
Luke Hoth
Luke Blu Ray
TPM Qui-Gon
Wedge
Maul

So I think BT is just trying to make sure that the avalanche of cases they get from Hasbro don't back up since they have very little crossover.

Well if this is the case, where are Malgus and the DS Trooper? I don't care about Malgus, but I would like to get that long awaited redo figure.

Snowtrooper
04-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks like there may be some variations in this wave already. Dr. Evazan has been spotted with and without the pink scar under his right eye. It also seems that there might be a running change with Kithaba's bandana color from the incorrect brown-grey to red, which is the proper color.

My order from BBTS arrived today. It looks like I got the Kithaba with the brown bandana and the Evazan without the pink scar. I like the Evazan better without the pink scar paint on it. I would have rather had the Kithaba with the red bandana, but I can live with the brown one.

bigbarada
04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Here's a pic of the two different bandana colors for Kithaba:

The actual color for Kithaba's bandana was somewhere in between these two (the brown bandana is too dark and the red bandana is too bright), but I think the red bandana looks the best and I'm really happy with it. If we had only gotten the red bandana version, then I don't think the bandana color would have even been brought up at all when talking about this figure.

Datestamps on all of my Kithaba figures are as follows:
Brown bandana: 20451, 20531
Red bandana: 20581

So the red bandana Kithaba was produced only 5 days after the last brown bandana version (if my understanding of these new datestamps is correct).

I also have one Kithaba with no datestamp, but I bought him from a seller in Malaysia, so that adds credence to the possibility that some of those guys are selling factory reject figures.

JediTricks
04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Well if this is the case, where are Malgus and the DS Trooper? I don't care about Malgus, but I would like to get that long awaited redo figure.I must have not been clear enough, I mean they're going to push their wave 3 and 4 cases as a single so they don't end up with any backup from either when wave 4 r1 comes in.

BB, you mean datestamped pressed into the figure itself?

bigbarada
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
BB, you mean datestamped pressed into the figure itself?

Yeah, I'm not sure what else to call it.

JediTricks
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what else to call it.That's the right term, just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about the date stamp put into the card - I'm not even sure they do that anymore though, now that I think about it.

bigbarada
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
That's the right term, just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about the date stamp put into the card - I'm not even sure they do that anymore though, now that I think about it.

All of the wave 4 figures I bought so far also have the datestamp pressed into the bottom left of the back of the card. Of the ones I've opened, the datestamp on the figure has always matched the datestamp on the card.

I'm not 100% clear on exactly what that date is supposed to represent, however.

JediTricks
04-28-2012, 03:13 PM
All of the wave 4 figures I bought so far also have the datestamp pressed into the bottom left of the back of the card. Of the ones I've opened, the datestamp on the figure has always matched the datestamp on the card.

I'm not 100% clear on exactly what that date is supposed to represent, however.Oh, I didn't realize cards still have datestamps, interesting.

Datestamps are quality control measures to track down which batches an item was made in. The numbers correspond to year - week of the year - batch number, I think. It's been a while since we did anything with them, so I don't fully remember.

DarkJedi5
05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Got my order today (the case says that it's W2.2) and my Evazan had no pink scar (which I prefer) and Kithaba had the brown headband (I'd have preferred the red). If this is any indication of when the variants were produced Evazan without the scar should be easy to find, but Kithaba with the red headband seems to have been a late change.

bigbarada
06-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh, I didn't realize cards still have datestamps, interesting.

Datestamps are quality control measures to track down which batches an item was made in. The numbers correspond to year - week of the year - batch number, I think. It's been a while since we did anything with them, so I don't fully remember.

From what I was told, the first digit was the last digit of the year, the next three numbers referred to the day of the year (1-366), and the last number was the shift number.

You said you received your Kithaba in the wave 3 thread, what do you think of the figure? You can talk about Evazan too if you absolutely must. :wink:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I got this wave a few weeks ago - it was the first case assortment that I found, so I don't yet have Wedge or the 501st trooper.

As has been said, I didn't necessarily think that another Aayla was super necessary, but it's an absolutely amazing figure. She's basically the same size as previous Aayla figures, so her tallness is nothing new or weird, really.

The difference between the Aayla figures is nothing compared to the difference between Dr. Evazan and his previous releases. I got the version without the scar, which I prefer anyway. He looks awesome next to last year's Ponda Baba; it's too bad I'm one of only three people in the whole world who found that one.

Nom Anor is quite a chunky figure. He's well-executed aside from the coral armor thing not attaching to his back very well, especially not when the cloak is involved. It can also be a pain to make the hood sit behind him correctly. I dislike the Yuuzhan Vong storyline, but the figure's fine for what it is.

As for Kithaba - eh, who the hell cares about him? :p Really, though, the level of detail is fantastic, and the paint helps the figure a lot. Mine is the brownish bandana, though either would have been fine for me.

JediTricks
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Ordered Evazan and Kithaba off of Amazon, they came late last week along with the Luke Hoth I ordered, so the box had TVC in all 3 OT flavors.

Kithaba was the brown variant, and I would have much preferred the red one as the brown is very boring next to the bandolier and gunbelt. Also, it seems like the eyes are more vibrant on the red-bandanna one. Kithaba is an ok figure, but after so many very strong showings from OT aliens, he's a bit of a letdown in my eyes.

His first offense is that he's just a bit plain in his outfit, not the figure's fault but the character is a bit dynamically lacking.

His head isn't as green as I'd like, and his hands are lighter than his head.

The head and neck also bug me a little in that they're asymmetrically designed - this is not an uncommon situation the past 5 years or so, the head drifting more to the right, but this figure has it double from the head sculpt and the angle the neck is set at. The head and neck also don't seem like they go together that well, the neck tapers in so much to meet the small ball-joint that the doesn't look attached to the head at all, and then they didn't paint the neck to match the head.

The main offense really is that he's too skinny, his torso tapers in quickly to be a smaller guy but stays the same length, it's like one of those annoying skinny-jeans wearing kids, or Olive Oyl with manlier shoulders.

His bandolier is a separate piece, and while they sculpted the tunic with light dents to receive the bandolier, I suppose you could move it to the other side for the mirror-flop scene; it bugs me that it gets under his arm and away from his shoulder a little, but that's a minor quibble.

His blaster fits in his holster and has a nice black deco with gray accent areas. The vibro axe is an ok sculpt but feels like something's missing from the business end, and the deco is very plain.

All in all, Kithaba isn't terrible but isn't a great figure IMO, he's a C, maybe a little better if you find him for $9, but I'd have a hard time justifying a B - minus even then.

Evazan was the pink scar variant thankfully, I don't think I would have been happy without that. Hasbro used a very gruesome shot of his face, it's in shadow so the sunken in eyeball shows a lot more hollow above it, it's quite yucky. The figure's sculpt doesn't quite have that aspect, so they not only gave the face the pink scar, but also a black painted line over that eye's lid - it doesn't quite work as intended, but it doesn't ruin the figure the way photos of it had looked (nothing about this figure photographs all that well IMO). This is, I believe, the very first Dr. Evazan single-carded figure, and the second ever Evazan sculpt after the '97 POTF2 Cinema Scene mess.

My first impressions of this figure were that it's good, but has a few issues. I'll break it down a little for both good and bad...
- Good: exists.
- Bad: took too damned long, making it harder to live up to the hype of finally being done right.
- Good: sculpt and paint are very much in line with the '70s alien look of the character.
- Bad: outfit paint has a couple big edge bleed issues, and the figure overall doesn't quite feel grimy enough.
- Good: fairly well-articulated.
- Bad: ball-jointed head means long, thin neck and skinny lower head.
- Good: figure isn't as skinny as pictures suggested, he's not tubby but he's got enough girth to pass the memory test.
- Bad: his vest is sculpted into his torso and feels a touch limited.
- Good: the face looks somewhat like Evazan
- Bad: the right side of the face doesn't have enough scarring, the mouth is a tiny bit smiley and chin is too narrow.

Ok, so that's the basics. The only thing I think really stands out in a big enough way to talk about is the facial expression, the right eyebrow and lip are higher than they should be, it looks quizzical and slightly amused at first blush. The mouth isn't as bad once you study it a little, it's meant to be neutral with a very slight sneer bearing teeth - they bothered to paint a tiny tooth showing - but it lacks the downturned mouth from the other side. It's not a disaster, but it's not mean enough an expression, and the scarring not standing out as much as the picture similarly give it the effect of "just a regular guy" syndrome at first blush, although he gets past all that without too much trouble.

The figure sports just 1 accessory, the same blaster that Ponda Baba came with but in black, it's fine but I think it's a tad big for the scale. He's got a separate holster on his right hip for it, it fits but sticks out quite a bit.

All in all, it's an ok figure that should have been a home run due chiefly to the amount of waiting we put up with to get here. It's a B rather than an A+ which isn't terrible, but since this darn well better be the last Evazan we have to buy, it would have been nice to have better paint, more work on the scarring, more grime overall, and a slightly better expression.

bigbarada
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Kithaba isn't terrible but isn't a great figure IMO, he's a C, maybe a little better if you find him for $9, but I'd have a hard time justifying a B - minus even then.

I don't even want to talk to you anymore. :chagrined:

Just kidding, I understand that not everyone is going to be as excited about Kithaba, as a character or an action figure, as I am. I definitely understand all of your criticisms, but most of them are not a big deal for me when balanced against the 29 year wait that I had for this figure.

I do agree that the gummy staff is a bit of an annoyance, but I had a couple of extra Slave Leia staffs that I was able to use instead. Also the unpainted neck was bothersome and I actually went out and bought some paint to fix that on my two display Kithabas.

The skin tone looks fine to me and I actually think it needs to be more brown than green. Although I'm basing that off of the archived photos that I've seen of the mask itself.

Also, I think Kithaba actually was wearing "skinny jeans" in the battle:

JediTricks
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
My problem with Kithaba isn't the character, the character himself isn't a C, just that the figure has a few missteps which bug me - the long skinny torso being the chief issue. It's just a lot of little things at a fairly high price which gets under my skin, it adds up to frustration because of how not-terrible the recipe is.

As for the green and yellow in his skin, the pics on your site alone show more than the figure has in-camera (I always prefer coloring based on how it looks in-camera and on-screen to prop accuracy, otherwise we'd have purple Batmobile toys since they had to paint it purple to show up black in-camera). I hadn't noticed before but your shots show his hands being quite brown verging on orange, the figure certainly doesn't deliver that but I wouldn't have liked it if it did - even if it were accurate! :p I suppose with that take on the hands thing being a compromise between the 2 extremes, I could give the figure a C+ and maybe a B- if I were feeling generous.

His pants aren't that tight in other shots, and they're not tapering up tightly - skinny jeans in a SW movie might ruin my fandom forever. :p

bigbarada
06-08-2012, 12:49 AM
I think Kithaba and Barada are both wearing leather gloves, they probably never made any "Barada-hands" for the film. I guess Hasbro thought that sculpting Kithaba with gloves would have made him less interesting; but I'm fine with it since the vintage Barada's hands were sculpted like hands instead of gloves as well.

JediTricks
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Kithaba's hands appear to have pronounced vascularity and tendons, and I think nails or nail points.

Barada's hands aren't as detailed, but then again they match his head skin tone pretty well.

It's hard to tell though since the process is an actor wearing gloves, is the intention that the character is wearing detailed gloves, or that those are his hands?

JediTricks
06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Got Nom Anor from Amazon. This figure is a mixed bag in design - the sculpting feels a little soft, and the legs being a bit preposed and using obvious joints at the waist and hips that make the figure feel more like a late POTF2 entry than a modern item. The spikey things are always bent or in the way, the back armor spikes fall off easily, the cloak is difficult to work with and fits poorly, and the head sculpt isn't quite right - he looks very surprised, and more like a horror movie mask than anything else. The ball jointed ankles are unusable and I don't even know why they bothered with how poorly those were executed. I wanted to like this figure more, but it is overhyped and kind of hard to find a place for in my collection.