PDA

View Full Version : Build-a-droid at Disney parks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2012, 12:28 PM
There were rumors on the subject, but Attractions Magazine (https://twitter.com/#!/attractions/status/195878458444890112/photo/1) has visually confirmed an exclusive collection of build-a-droid parts at Disney parks. The bodies look to be the same, but the colors are new, and it looks like most (if not all) of the heads can fit hats (including Mickey Mouse ears, Indiana Jones' fedora, and the Yoda ears baseball hat). I'm sure they're going to be expensive as hell and probably difficult to obtain all the parts, but I absolutely love this kind of stuff. :D

The rumor is that build-a-droid is going to come back in place of Vintage next year. If anything's going to replace TVC, I'll be very glad if it's build-a-droid.

DarkJedi5
04-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I like this idea a lot and I am very excited about it. The rumor report I saw said there would be 25 different domes. If that's indeed true, this could be a very expensive exclusive for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2012, 01:57 PM
After looking at the photo more closely, I see that R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, and R9 droids are ALL represented, with this being the first-ever versions of R6, R8, and R9 (with an all-new body being made for the R8, as R6 and R9 use the regular one). There's also a pirate hat on the R6 droid on the far left - that is way too damn cool.

Hopefully there will be enough of these to go around. I'd like to get all of them when I'm there for CVI.

JediTricks
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
20% Annual Pass discount, do your duty! :D

mtriv73
04-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Looks like it's (almost) ebay time for those of us who live 1000+ miles from a park. I love the whole idea of these things and would love to buy them all (hope your listening hasbro.)

figrin bran
05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
20% Annual Pass discount, do your duty! :D

My thoughts exactly! ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
The Star Tours Facebook page updated with this photo (http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541259_352661384789507_164835066905474_892309_2010 446307_n.jpg), featuring 22 different domes, 10 different bodies, 7 different sets of legs, and 5 different hats. Some of the parts that were shown in the first image aren't here, and there are several new ones as well. My wallet already hurts. :p

Neuroleptic
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Any word on what these little guys will cost?

... I'm going to have to get at least three when I go next week.

an R3 droid an R4 droid an an R2 unit.

And you're darn skippy that R2 unit is going to have a micky mouse hat.

LTBasker
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Oiy, I can only hope these will be available as sets through HTS or somewhere similar. In the new picture it looks as though you'd be able to build nearly all of the other R2 units that almost made it as part of the Royal Starship's repair team (http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/page8.html). There just doesn't appear to be a silver R2 head with black panels in the facebook picture, otherwise all the parts are there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I posted some more info about it in the News article on this subject, but it looks like the figures are only at WDW for now (so not Disneyland), and they individually cost $11.95 or two for $18.95. That's a little much, but given that figures are $10 now anyway and these are a Disney exclusive (which are never known for being cheap), that's not so bad. Hopefully there will be details soon on how the assortment of parts breaks down.

Jabbapalacespy
05-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I definitley want an R6, R8, and R9. Astromechs are the obvious choice for this kind of thing but maybe someday they will utilize other BAD characters in some manner.

JediTricks
05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
No sign of these at Disneyland on Friday. It's too bad that they didn't expand the Star Trader when they rebooted Star Tours last year, it's still way too small a shop space and gets horribly bottlenecked as folks look through merch and build their own lightsabers and such.

Speaking of Star Trader, they had a metric ton of TVC TPM wave, it's horrifying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Has anyone done this at WDW? Sounds like it's going away tomorrow, and nobody knows when it's coming back, unfortunately. From what I've read, it looks like the supply hasn't been anywhere near the demand, especially with collectors building multiple droids for themselves and fellow collectors. I read that the Mickey hats and middle legs are long gone, that the two-pack option is gone (so that Disney can get more money, no doubt), and that there's a limit of building two at a time. Hopefully this will be up again by CVI, as I'm going the day before the convention starts and I reeeeeally wanted to get a crack at these, and I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same boat.

JediTricks
06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Aw man, why would they do this, and with no real warning? That bites. They should have kept the station permanent, why keep it after SW Weekends this long then just pull the plug randomly?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I think they wanted to keep it going, it's just that they're having trouble keeping the parts in stock so they figured better to just cut it for now, rethink some things, and do it right when they can. At least, I HOPE that's what's happening . . .

JediTricks
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Perhaps this should be yet another question to add to the Hasbro convention list. :erm:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't know how involved Hasbro is with this aside from providing the molds. Well, hey - might as well ask about their involvement with this. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2012, 04:40 PM
According to Endor Express (http://www.endorexpress.net/2012/07/droid-factory-re-opened-at-disney-hollywood-studios/), it reopened today with the new parts. Now they just need to keep them all in stock for a month and I won't have to have that heart attack after all. :p

JediTricks
07-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I hope it stays this time, and they add it to Disneyland as well. I have someone who will pick up a figure at CVI for me probably, so now I need to figure out what parts I really want.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
I went on the Wednesday right before CVI, having gotten to the park at around 2:30. It was always busy but never packed, usually with one or two people ahead of or behind me, and a lot of interested customers asking about it. You were only allowed to build two droids at a time before having to go to the back of the line, so my mom was going to help based on the list I had, but it ended up getting confusing trying to coordinate for two people so I just had her stand there so I could make four droids at a time. :p

All told, I got 23 droids. Out of the 71 parts, I'm missing two of the domes (the black R5 and the silver/blue R7) and two bodies (blue and purple), and I want to trade some of the parts for different colors so as to make complete matching droids (I think I would consider around 15 of my droids to be "complete"). The employees were quite helpful - the first one actually tapped me on the shoulder while I was checking out to let me know that they had gotten in the Indiana Jones fedoras, which was really nice. They kept restocking with parts throughout the day, and yellow and green were the most plentiful.

Kids were taking quite a while to decide which parts they wanted, and collectors were taking a while finding the ones they still needed. I don't know if there's a need to expand to three or more stations based on my time there, but it was pretty fun and smooth overall. With patience and good employees, it's a good experience.

JediTricks
08-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, that's crazy awesome! 23 droids, that's $10 a pop, right? And did you name them all? ;)

How long did it take you to put your droids together?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I stood in line for an extra three hours to put all the stickers on the packages. :p I'm actually not sure what to do with the packages - they're quite nice, and I do have name sticker sheets for all of them, so we'll see. I'll email Leland Chee and ask what to call them. :D

It didn't take too crazy long. The first round was a little over an hour - we got Fastpasses for Star Tours first, then headed right to Tatooine Traders and built around 15 droids in that time. Obviously it got more difficult as time went on, what with figuring out which parts I still needed and which ones they still had. I think building the remainder took less than an hour. The park cleared out as the evening went on, possibly due to Fantasmic, or something, so getting able to build the droids (and ride Star Tours repeatedly) was easier, though the parts had been picked over by then.

They really need to stock up on white middle legs. I don't know if they're just produced in the same quantities as the black, red, blue, and green ones, but that's the one I wanted for the majority of the droids and I assume most other people were the same, so they were pretty hard to find.

JediTricks
08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I stood in line for an extra three hours to put all the stickers on the packages. :p I'm actually not sure what to do with the packages - they're quite nice, and I do have name sticker sheets for all of them, so we'll see. I'll email Leland Chee and ask what to call them. :D

It didn't take too crazy long. The first round was a little over an hour - we got Fastpasses for Star Tours first, then headed right to Tatooine Traders and built around 15 droids in that time. Obviously it got more difficult as time went on, what with figuring out which parts I still needed and which ones they still had. I think building the remainder took less than an hour. The park cleared out as the evening went on, possibly due to Fantasmic, or something, so getting able to build the droids (and ride Star Tours repeatedly) was easier, though the parts had been picked over by then.

They really need to stock up on white middle legs. I don't know if they're just produced in the same quantities as the black, red, blue, and green ones, but that's the one I wanted for the majority of the droids and I assume most other people were the same, so they were pretty hard to find.Leland Chee will "officially" name your droids for a nominal fee. ;) Can you imagine if he did that?!? :D

That's weird about the middle legs, I could see it if it were ALL the white legs, but only the middles? Weird.