PDA

View Full Version : Bobafrett's 2012 "Relay for Life" cancer walk

bobafrett
05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I know a few of you in the past have made donations to my cancer walk. I would like to invite you to once again help me out. My goal this year is $2,000.00 and I have reached that the past two years in part from donations from some of the fine forum members here on SSG. Thank you in advance

link to my page! http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=3678017&pg=personal&fr_id=38209

Slicker
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
It's that time again already?! Well, you know I'm good for it but it'll have to wait until the next pay check. I'm hoping you make your goal again!

TeeEye7
05-06-2012, 01:33 PM
It's that time again already?! Well, you know I'm good for it but it'll have to wait until the next pay check. I'm hoping you make your goal again!

Donation made!

I would like to encourage other SSGers to help Mr. Frett reach his goal!

bobafrett
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
This was last years team, you can see we all love Star Wars, and most are members of the 501st legion of Stormtroopers!
Thank you to those who are making a donation. :applause:

TeeEye7
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Our local RFL was held this week end. My city/county hosts the largest RFL event in the nation. A total of $2,129,339.76 was raised from donations, many of which are modest like the one I made on behalf of BobaFrett. It's all these small donations that add up in a big way to help the cause. I'm a cancer survivor myself, and very much appreciate the efforts Barry and the 501st Legion make to fight the good fight!

TeeEye7
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
*BUMP!*

I know times are tough (Recently, I had another financial step backwards at my work...hooray for government jobs!), but this is an important cause.

Slicker
05-22-2012, 06:34 AM
I made my yearly donation and I'm hoping you make your goal! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
05-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Got your donation Slicker! Thank You very much! With Slicker and TeeEye7's donations, I am closing in on $500.00 :greedy_dollars: which is a quarter of my goal. If anyone else can give, I think there is a $10 minimum if you visit my site. Or a check of any amount from $1.00 on up, you can make an offline donation. Someone made a $100 donation that way. There is a line on my page that you can print up an "Offline" donation form, and there is an address on the form, just simply fill out the form and mail it in with your check or money order and I will get notification that a donation was made in my behalf.

I am closing in on 7 years since I lost my mom to this deadly disease. :angel: I believe it was her passing that made me want to help someone in need. Tycho happened to post here on the forums as most of you know, and as luck would have it, I was a match for a much needed kidney. It was also in part to the loss of a couple of wonderful forum members here that made the decision to be a living organ donor that much easier.

The link to my "Relay" page is in the first post. I thank all of those who have donated throughout the 7+ walks I have done. I thank SirSteve for giving me a place that I can reach out to those who I wouldn't have otherwise been able to reach. Thanks and God Bless!

Slicker
05-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Wow, it has been 7 years already? I can remember when you broke the news and it seems like maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Well, I hope you make your goal and everyone else should toss some skrilla your way!!!

bobafrett
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Well, I got another $100 donation from a co worker of mine. I'm up around $900.00 so far (If my math is correct), aand just a wee bit under 3 weeks to the event. I look forward to it every year. I was really looking forward to it this year because every year since I asked my wife to marry me at a rain/thunderstorm shortened event, we have gone to Steak & Shake, that is where we went while the rain came down, and called the family to break the news to them. My wife has had us on a diet of slim fast shakes and sensible dinners, I was looking forward to some greasy burgers! But my wife is going to be attending a wedding for one of her relatives. She has been taking a lot of the pictures for my letters I send out both before and after the event.

Thank you again to all who have made a donation!!!!!!!

Picture is me down on one knee proposing to my now wife. That was about 5 years ago, and June 14th we celebrate 4 years being married.

bobafrett
06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
My total raised at the end of the "Relay" was $1,892.47 and my team raised altogether $4,523.47. You can still make a donation! Yes, they still take donations for this years walk, the books aren't closed yet. The goal for our event (all teams) was $590,000 and we raised as of the end of the walk, $501,786. That's over a hal a million dollars raised for cancer reasearch, education and many other things!2630326304263052630626307

bobafrett
06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
More pictures from the relay!
The middle picture is me in my Tusken robes with another team members Trooper helmet on. 4th picture is my team, the "Imperial Walkers". First photo, is me up close and out camp in the background.

bobafrett
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
We even made the front page of the local newspaper the Pantagraph. The article is about the "Relay" but for the second year in a row, and the third time in 8 years, our costumed team brought the "Relay" news to the front page of the paper!

The second picture is me standing in front of my Wal-Mart stores exit doors collecting for the Relay. Over two Sundays, and 13+ hours of temeratures over 90 degrees, I collected around $650.00!

bobafrett
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, I got a very generous donation and when it gets processed it should bring my total raised for the 2012 "Relay for Life" cancer walk to, $2,143.47 I am overjoyred and very thankful for everyone from my family to my friends in the 301st, my co workers and my friends here at SSG. Thank You for making it a successful Relay walk!

TeeEye7
07-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Cool news Barry! Well done, sir!

If they leave my salary alone next year (it's been reduced every year over the past three years...hooray for being an "evil" California public employee), I may be able in increase my donation. Count on me for next year! As a cancer survivor myself, I know how important early detection is as well as the continuing fight!

bobafrett
07-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Thank you for your continued support TeeEye! Last year I was able to make a donation, this year all I could afford was to purchase 3 luminara bags at $10 each to remember those whom I lost. The money went to my efforts, just wish I could have also made a little more sizeable donation. No worries though! And how does someone get a reduced salary? You go to your review "Thank you for your great work you've done, we are cutting your pay by $2,000 a year, have a nice day" Yikes!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your continued support TeeEye! ... No worries though! And how does someone get a reduced salary? You go to your review "Thank you for your great work you've done, we are cutting your pay by $2,000 a year, have a nice day" Yikes!I'm a teacher in CA, considered a state employee. Our school district hasn't "officially" cut our salaries, but in cutting school days (the fear is that to save money, our district may follow other local districts who've cut 15 MORE days from the 5 already cut), the daily rate (how our checks get calculated) is the same but over less total days worked. :( I still try to help the local charities as I can. Good luck, BF!

TeeEye7
09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I collect the impressive, most impressive cards....

Thanks, Barry!

bobafrett
09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I collect the impressive, most impressive cards....

Thanks, Barry!
Your Welcome Sir! One of my team members had them made up to hand out. He gave me an extra bunch to hand out when I do my fundraising in front of Wal-Mart. Can't wait to hand some out next spring when I will be out and about again!

TeeEye7
03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
*BUMP*

I'm sure Mr. Frett will begin a 2013 thread for Relay for Life but I wanted to get it out there now that he has posted on FB a link to help him with his continuing battle against cancer. I applaud Barry's effort and ask that SSG members support him in his cause!

I've made my donation today. Will you, please?

bobafrett
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you Tom! Yes, I am registered once again for mt now 9th Relay for Life cancer walk.

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/TK523Barry

Click on or copy the above link to make a donation. The last two years I have raised over $2,000 each year to help fund cancer research. I would appreciate any help from my fellow SSGer's! I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but only because I have a house now, and between the cost of keeping up the house, and the many projects I have to do, it just doesn't leave much surplus money to collect.

dr_evazan22
04-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Barry... I just made a donation in my sons name.

I empathize with you about the cost of keeping up the house. Currently dealing with sewer line issues right now. Not fun. Probably making a trip to Home Depot tool rental to get a roto rooter, after I add the clean out. I think I smell poop in my near future.

bobafrett
04-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Thank you Sir! I went and removed my toilet as it was rocking slightly, onlt to find the Flange sits 1 inch over the top of the tile. I don't have the money to get the flange lowered/replaced, so I used rubber shims to keep the new toilet from rocking. So far, so good. Thank you again Dr. E!

TeeEye7
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
***bump!!***

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2013, 02:53 PM
***bump!!***Oh, did you mean this?

(I'd been waiting to use this one)

TeeEye7
04-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Nope. I meant to encourage other SSGers to support Mr. Frett's noble cause.

As a cancer survivor myself, I know how important it is.

bobafrett
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Nope. I meant to encourage other SSGers to support Mr. Frett's noble cause.

As a cancer survivor myself, I know how important it is.

And I thank you for that Mr. TeeEye! I should be at around $1,080.00 already due to some very generous supporters. I also plan on doing my fundraising in front of Wal-Mart again this year. Last year I raised over $600 on two separate Sunday's. I appreciate any help I can get. For as little as $10, or the cost of one 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figure, you too, can help me in my fight! Thank You!

bobafrett
06-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Okay, this will be the last time this year that I will ask for your help with my "Relay for Life" walk. So far I have raised $2,465.30 for this years walk. I would love to get to $2,500 and above. I raised $773.12 of that doing 16 hours in my Stormtrooper armor over 2 Sundays in front of Wal-Mart. My walk takes place this Friday and Saturday June 21st and 22nd.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/TK523Barry

bobafrett
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Here are a few pictures from this past weekends "Relay" event. My team raised about $8,557.80 of which I raised $2,834.30. Thanks to all those from SSG who have made a donation!

bobafrett
06-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Here are a few more. It's still not to late to make a donation!

bobafrett
06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
My Teams total has been updated on the Team page. We raised $8,607.80 with still more donations on the way.
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=50980&pg=team&team_id=1254207

bobafrett
07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Well, since my last post here, I went and did a third 8 hour fundraiser in front of my Wal-Mart to try to get our team to the $9,000. I fell just $21 short, but then another $100 dollar donation came in, so my team is now at $9,078.28 of which I raised $3,179.78!!!!!!! I also applied for a VAP (Volunteerism Always Pays) grant through Wal-Mart. If accepted, My team will get another $250 dollars toward this years fundraiser. I have 7 "Grand Club" shirts that I have earned, but couldn't have got without the many generous donors over the past 9 "Relay's" THANK YOU!!!!!! :love:

bobafrett
08-08-2013, 09:45 PM
On Monday, I checked my Relay page, and my VAP (Volunteerism Always Pays) grant came through. So my total raised for the 2013 "Relay for Life" is......... $3,429.78 My team, the "Imperial Walkers" total, this includes the amount I raised, is $9,328.28!