PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Vintage Wave 5

mtriv73
06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
My case of wave 4 is shipping from Big Bad Toy Store today. I'm looking forward to Tarkin and Oddball and I'll be glad to finally see a Malgus when it comes in. The pegs in my part of Maryland still have nothing but leftovers from Wave 1 so I'm glad at least the internet is coming through for me.

bigbarada
06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I think this is technically wave 5.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hasbro lists the waves as such:
Wave 1 - The Phantom Menace wave
Wave 1.5 - Deleted Scene wave
Wave 2 - Darth Malgus wave
Wave 2.2 - Dr. Evazan wave
Wave 2.5 - repacked Bespin Han wave
Wave 3 - Grand Moff Tarkin wave
Wave 4 - Jar Jar Binks wave

Though it seems that collectors are saying this:
Wave 1 - The Phantom Menace wave
Wave 2 - Deleted Scene wave
Wave 3 - Darth Malgus wave
Wave 4 - Dr. Evazan wave
Wave 5 - Grand Moff Tarkin wave
Wave 6 - Jar Jar Binks wave

The number of revision cases and repacked figures throws it all off, and fans don't seem to be considering the Bespin Han wave re-release to be its own new wave (and just considering Wedge and the Gamorrean to be regular ol' repacks). There's also the issue of wonky distribution (I saw wave 4, or at least its first case without the 501st clone and Wedge, before I saw anything from wave 3). And don't forget that Dr. Evazan and pals were supposed to be out last year, so their cardbacks and numberings are reflective of that earlier time. It also appears that the Jar Jar wave has been moved up to be released before the wave that includes realistic Clone Wars Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, and the repacks from the Walmart Discover the Force wave (Aurra Sing, Gungan Warrior, etc.), so the numbers will be off.

JediTricks
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
It's wave 5, that's even how EE has it and they usually just go with Hasbro's numbering system. Hasbro's been really bad with numbering lately, not just SW either, but Transformers as well has suffered this same issue. I've retitled the thread to correspond.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
EE's listings don't match up with what's printed on the boxes of the figures - for instance, the deleted scenes figures were shipped in "W1 R1" boxes, meaning that, at least from a business standpoint, Hasbro considers it to be a new ratio of wave 1 figures. The 2011 SDCC slides list the deleted scenes figures as wave 1.5, though NYCC changed it to wave 2. The 2011 NYCC/2012 Toy Fair slides are numbered on the assumption that the Bespin Han repacks are wave 5, and the Tarkin wave is wave 6, realistic Ahsoka is wave 7, Jar Jar is wave 8 (Orrimaarko and the TOR Republic Trooper are included in wave 8 here, though we now know they aren't shipping in the same cases, at least not initially). Conspicuously absent are the Walmart repacks. My "collector" list corresponds to EE's listings, apparently, but if anything, this all shows that there's no concrete way to sort these waves.

bigbarada
06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I think using only whole numbers for the waves is much less confusing.

Anyways, I'm highly anticipating the Nikto Skiff Guard, obviously; but Grand Moff Tarkin is going to be a figure that I will need to see in person before I decide if I'm going to buy it or not. Nothing else from this wave really interests me at all.

JediTricks
06-06-2012, 09:14 PM
EE's listings don't match up with what's printed on the boxes of the figures - for instance, the deleted scenes figures were shipped in "W1 R1" boxes, meaning that, at least from a business standpoint, Hasbro considers it to be a new ratio of wave 1 figures. The 2011 SDCC slides list the deleted scenes figures as wave 1.5, though NYCC changed it to wave 2. The 2011 NYCC/2012 Toy Fair slides are numbered on the assumption that the Bespin Han repacks are wave 5, and the Tarkin wave is wave 6, realistic Ahsoka is wave 7, Jar Jar is wave 8 (Orrimaarko and the TOR Republic Trooper are included in wave 8 here, though we now know they aren't shipping in the same cases, at least not initially). Conspicuously absent are the Walmart repacks. My "collector" list corresponds to EE's listings, apparently, but if anything, this all shows that there's no concrete way to sort these waves.I understand all that, but that information is essentially useless to the collector because it's clearly contradictory nonsense thanks to Hasbro's bungling and juggling.

Were Hasbro to have kept the '10/'11 numbering system, we'd STILL be calling these "Wave 5" because they're the 5th unique, separate wave of figures to come out in the 2012 line.

There's nothing in their "Wave 1 Revision 1" line of figures that has ANYTHING to do with Wave 1 at all - wave 1 was all TPM figures and W1R1 is all deleted scene ROTJ figures, it's become ordering-system gibberish, they might as well name each wave after a non-letter character: "wave &#@$!" since that's how we all feel about trying to track them down anyway.

Snowtrooper
06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
My order from BBTS shipped today, so I should hopefully be seeing these some time early next week.

Snowtrooper
06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I got my order yesterday, earlier than i expected. All in all, its a good wave.

BigB, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Nikto. I'd say he's the best figure of the wave. As far as I know, he has all of the details correct, but i don't have your knowledge of skiff guards, so I could be wrong.

Malgus is the other big winner. Kind of like a Darth Vader on steroids. I also liked Shae Vizla really well, even though I'm not into EU very much.

I'd have to say Tarkin is the biggest disappointment. I think the overall shape and articulation is fine, but the soft goods does not work, the uniform color is wrong and I don't think they got the face right. The cardback, however, looks great.

mtriv73
06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree with everything you said snowtrooper. I like the Odd-Ball figure as well though. It will be nice to have a little diversity in my Arc-170 cockpit. Hopefully they'll rerelease Tarkin in a more greyish green uniform that looks more screen accurate and give him a little time in the sun to darken his skintones a little. Still, he's a big improvement over the other ones. I don't like the female head of Shae Vizla, it looks a little too unrealistic, but the helmet is great. I'm officially done with Starkiller. I think I wouldn't have even picked him up if I'd found the wave in the wild. Is this the 5th or 6th version (or more) of this guy?

Jabbapalacespy
06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Just got my Nikto skiff guard in the mail today from ebay. :victorious: It takes to long for new figures to show up around here - if at all! (I also ordered a kithaba today, should be here by the weekend.) It's a great figure that I've wanted for so long. I know he only appears in the skiff battle scene but he looks good in my throne room diorama too. (Kithaba will as well!)

Nikto is the only one I'm interested from this wave. I Hope they keep making more skiff guards as well as throw in some more of jabba's court - either unmade charaters or rescuplts. Really excited for the new Weequay!

figrin bran
06-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Amazon.com has Oddball, Tarkin, Shae Vizla and Nikto for $12.99 each and free shipping for orders over $25.

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Amazon delivered a box just now containing Nikto, Shae, and Tarkin (plus Nom Anor and another Gamorrean), haven't opened any yet so this is first blush looks.

Shae looks good, very angry face tho', and teeny waist. Still not quite Star Warsy yet, hope to feel that when the figure is free of packaging.

Nikto looks alright, face is way darker than I expected, and clothes BADLY need weathering.

Tarkin is a rough one, the skirt simply doesn't work, they didn't come up with a good enough design there; the face is too pale, and the mouth and jaw are WAY too narrow - you can see his cheekbone stops just under the outside of his eyes, while the figure has them going all the way to the inside.

Amazon unfortunately never listed Starkiller that I know of, the figure I wanted most of all.

DarkJedi5
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Got a few Oddballs I ordered of of Amazon today - the upper torso looks good, especially the newly sculpted helmet, but the lower torso (especially the waist/crotch) looks like a huge step backward to the original ROTS figure.

I expect the rest of the wave to arrive on Friday, along with a Shae Viszla I'm not particularly interested in… PM me if anyone want to work out a trade.

JediTricks
06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Opened the figures.

Shae Vizla is a cool figure, I prefer her helmeted look over her non-helmeted look. The flames look good but are definitely going to wilt. She doesn't have holsters, which totally threw me, and her pistols don't sit in her hands at an angle I like. Her mid-torso is sculpted to a slightly turned pose just below the joint, and her posture has 2 choices - frumpy slumped forward, and sticking her butt out, neither are exactly right. I would have liked to have seen her rifle included over her second pistol. I'm not sure how Star Warsy she feels though, but they did give her a lot of tech sculpting, articulation, and paint, so I'll find a spot - probably with the Legacy folks, she looks way more advanced than Boba.

Tarkin is exactly what he seemed from the packaged view, nothing more but at least nothing less. Better to have him than not, but still a bit of a missed opportunity to find a home run for the first Star Wars movie's main villain. New Mouse Droid is alright, still seems a bit big, but rolling wheels (in theory, they turn but don't roll on smooth surfaces) - the tech greeblies are glued with superglue which has left a fog, kinda lazy for Hasbro.

Nikto is mostly what I thought in package as well, and I'd add a few more complaints unfortunately - his head seems too short at the crown, and his ankle and knee hinges are WHITE. Still, he's not terrible, but he's not great either, just ok - a lot of that is due to paint though, little annoying misses.

figrin bran
07-03-2012, 12:30 AM
If it weren't for Amazon, I'd have no figures from this wave. Thus far, I've opened up Malgus and Vizla.

I too am not a fan at all of Shae's headsculpt so she shall have her helmet head permanently. I'd probably give her figure a B

Malgus I would give a B as well. He has some nice details on the pauldrons and chest armor. However, the outer cloak is poorly designed. There is a wire that is supposed to help clip the cloak around his neck but it doesn't work very well plus the hood is entirely too oversized, even worse than Sidious from the TPM wave.

I know I'm fortunate to have both of these but to me at least, they aren't worth the high prices that they're going for on the secondary market.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Malgus I would give a B as well. He has some nice details on the pauldrons and chest armor. However, the outer cloak is poorly designed. There is a wire that is supposed to help clip the cloak around his neck but it doesn't work very well plus the hood is entirely too oversized, even worse than Sidious from the TPM wave.

I know I'm fortunate to have both of these but to me at least, they aren't worth the high prices that they're going for on the secondary market.
The clip on mine isn't too bad, and I don't think the hood is oversized. If you mess with it enough, it can look pretty good. Sidious' hood is the plastic one, so I dunno what the comparison is on that one. But Malgus is wave 3 - I finally found one at a Target that had a full, untouched case, but he's coming again in wave 5, so hopefully the fervor will die down a little.

I'm seeing reports on other sites about people finding these figures at Walmart and TRU, so hopefully I'll run into them. It seems like most collectors already ordered them online, so maybe there won't be much competition for this set. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Well, I did see the wave tonight at Walmart. They were stocking a ton of action figure cases from all kinds of different lines, and I popped open a fresh case of what Hasbro is calling "2012 Wave 3." I pulled out Tarkin, Starkiller, Nikto, Shae Vizla, and Odd Ball, but noticed that the price scanner said "Please see associate," as I feared it would. I had seen that before and still been able to check out just fine, so I went to the checkout anyway. The cashier scanned them and, wouldn't you know it, they weren't ringing up. A few other people came to help, and I asked if I could get an older figure to scan (they had two Bom Vimdins and no other TVC) but an employee just ended up taking Tarkin to the shift manager instead. I went to talk to them, explained that sometimes the newer figures wouldn't show up in the computers and it had nothing to do with any recalls or safety issues, as the manager said it might. I said it wasn't like I was going to sue them or anything, but he said he has to protect against people who would. Apparently he wasn't a top dog manager and he couldn't override any such issues, so he said all I could do was wait until tomorrow to call the real manager when she got in. I asked him if they could at least hold the figures until then, but he said he couldn't do that, either; I said that other people would probably come and buy them by the time I'd be able to go in tomorrow, but he said they wouldn't be able to buy them, either (even though the manager would be in by then and would be able to help them).

So I left the store with exactly the same number of wave 5 figures I had when I came in. :sigh: When my sister got some wave 4 figures for me at a different Walmart a few weeks ago, they didn't ring up either, but the manager just punched in the price, or something, and it was fine. I guess I might as well try to go tomorrow and try again with the real manager, but I don't know if that will do anything. I know it's happened a lot lately to other collectors, but this is the first time I've been out-and-out refused to buy something. It has nothing to do with taking the figures from the case, as I've done that many, many times with no issues (usually with employees helping me or just saying it was okay for me to do so).

I can't really be mad at the shift manager - I wish he had been more lenient, but I understand that he's trying to do his job, and he was at least polite the whole time. Same with the other employees, and I've been a cashier before and crap like this can be annoying. I'm not sure if the problem is Walmart's or Hasbro's - but given all the other bull**** that's been going on this year, I'm leaning towards the Big H.

I'm gonna have a real problem not slapping the **** out of Jeff at CVI - that is, if everyone else hasn't already done it at Comic Con.

Tycho
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm just not buying a lot of 3 3/4" figures any more.

I'm filling in my dioramas. So I wait for some.

I don't have money or the desire to "upgrade" my figures for every better version that comes out.

I also am not a carded collector but sincerely admire the cardbacks when I encounter them in the store - both the 80's re-issues and the new ones.

Old figures (I would NOT buy) but would like to see vintage carded:

TPM regular Anakin
Padme Tatooine
Watto
Senator Palpatine
Ric Olie
C-3PO (naked)
Chancellor Vallorum
Ki Adi Mundi
SaeSee Tiin
Gasgano
Queen - Senate
Captain Panaka (new figure with Removeable hat!)
Naboo Security (black ethnic variant)
Darth Sidious Hologram
AOTC Anakin
Arena Padme
C-3PO junk parts
Kit Fisto
Shaak-Ti
Eeth Koth
kid Fett
Destroyer Droid

ehh - I gotta go. But someone else could continue this list of essential vintage RE-CARDS not yet offered.

JediTricks
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, I did see the wave tonight at Walmart. They were stocking a ton of action figure cases from all kinds of different lines, and I popped open a fresh case of what Hasbro is calling "2012 Wave 3." I pulled out Tarkin, Starkiller, Nikto, Shae Vizla, and Odd Ball, but noticed that the price scanner said "Please see associate," as I feared it would. I had seen that before and still been able to check out just fine, so I went to the checkout anyway. The cashier scanned them and, wouldn't you know it, they weren't ringing up. A few other people came to help, and I asked if I could get an older figure to scan (they had two Bom Vimdins and no other TVC) but an employee just ended up taking Tarkin to the shift manager instead. I went to talk to them, explained that sometimes the newer figures wouldn't show up in the computers and it had nothing to do with any recalls or safety issues, as the manager said it might. I said it wasn't like I was going to sue them or anything, but he said he has to protect against people who would. Apparently he wasn't a top dog manager and he couldn't override any such issues, so he said all I could do was wait until tomorrow to call the real manager when she got in. I asked him if they could at least hold the figures until then, but he said he couldn't do that, either; I said that other people would probably come and buy them by the time I'd be able to go in tomorrow, but he said they wouldn't be able to buy them, either (even though the manager would be in by then and would be able to help them).

So I left the store with exactly the same number of wave 5 figures I had when I came in. :sigh: When my sister got some wave 4 figures for me at a different Walmart a few weeks ago, they didn't ring up either, but the manager just punched in the price, or something, and it was fine. I guess I might as well try to go tomorrow and try again with the real manager, but I don't know if that will do anything. I know it's happened a lot lately to other collectors, but this is the first time I've been out-and-out refused to buy something. It has nothing to do with taking the figures from the case, as I've done that many, many times with no issues (usually with employees helping me or just saying it was okay for me to do so).

I can't really be mad at the shift manager - I wish he had been more lenient, but I understand that he's trying to do his job, and he was at least polite the whole time. Same with the other employees, and I've been a cashier before and crap like this can be annoying. I'm not sure if the problem is Walmart's or Hasbro's - but given all the other bull**** that's been going on this year, I'm leaning towards the Big H.

I'm gonna have a real problem not slapping the **** out of Jeff at CVI - that is, if everyone else hasn't already done it at Comic Con.Ha! Make sure to do it as the Lazy Jedi and film it, then call it art. :D

That story is brutal. Next time you get one of those codes, don't even bother going to the register, just find the most secure stash point you can and put them away - that's such BS, I'm almost glad my WM sucks at restocking.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Ha! Make sure to do it as the Lazy Jedi and film it, then call it art. :D

That story is brutal. Next time you get one of those codes, don't even bother going to the register, just find the most secure stash point you can and put them away - that's such BS, I'm almost glad my WM sucks at restocking.

Haha, I SHOULD do that. I'd say Jeff was an undercover Imperial agent, or something. :p

That is indeed what I should have done, but I thought I would try my luck . . . which was the wrong choice, obviously. This is one of the only Walmarts in the area that consistently gets stuff in, but it's usually only one or two cases, and I usually end up going there right when they're stocking - that's how I got the deleted scene wave (though I later found each of them individually at different stores), and it's the only store that's gotten in Movie Heroes past wave 1, as I got wave 2 and 3 there.

My mom actually went to that same Walmart the next day while I was at work and found Odd Ball. Again, it wouldn't scan, so the toy manager created a separate bar code to be placed over the other one. She said it was fine - why, in fact, she had done the exact same thing for some other figures earlier that very morning. :frus:

JediTricks
07-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Haha, I SHOULD do that. I'd say Jeff was an undercover Imperial agent, or something. :p

That is indeed what I should have done, but I thought I would try my luck . . . which was the wrong choice, obviously. This is one of the only Walmarts in the area that consistently gets stuff in, but it's usually only one or two cases, and I usually end up going there right when they're stocking - that's how I got the deleted scene wave (though I later found each of them individually at different stores), and it's the only store that's gotten in Movie Heroes past wave 1, as I got wave 2 and 3 there.

My mom actually went to that same Walmart the next day while I was at work and found Odd Ball. Again, it wouldn't scan, so the toy manager created a separate bar code to be placed over the other one. She said it was fine - why, in fact, she had done the exact same thing for some other figures earlier that very morning. :frus:OH man, that is friggin' rough. Yeah, that's a painful lesson to learn the hard way.

DarkJedi5
09-05-2012, 08:28 PM
So I finally got around to opening my Oddball figures... and is it just me or did they screw up the insignia on the shoulder again?! Oddball has the Imperial insignia and not the Republic one (which is the opposite of the Death Star Commander they had in the wave before this one).... It seems weird that they screw this detail up on two figures in consecutive waves.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2012, 12:44 AM
So I finally got around to opening my Oddball figures... and is it just me or did they screw up the insignia on the shoulder again?! Oddball has the Imperial insignia and not the Republic one (which is the opposite of the Death Star Commander they had in the wave before this one).... It seems weird that they screw this detail up on two figures in consecutive waves.

I've seen this comment a lot, but in ROTS the eight-pronged Republic symbol from AOTC had been replaced by the six-pronged Empire symbol from the OT. It's most prominent on Anakin and Obi-Wan's starfighters in the opening battle, but if you pause the film when Odd Ball's ARC-170 banks to the left then you can actually see the six-pronged symbol on his shoulder.