PDA

View Full Version : The Galactic Files

OC47150
06-28-2012, 06:51 AM
A friend's been telling me about this new set of cards for a while. Now here's the official word.

The Largest, Most Comprehensive Star Wars Trading Card Set. Ever.

This fall, celebrate the 35th anniversary of Star Wars with Star Wars Galactic Files, the most epic Star Wars set Topps has ever produced:
•350 Card Base Set
•Three Levels of Base Card Parallels: Blue (350 per subject), Red (35 per subject) and 1/1 Gold
•10 Card "Duels of Fate" Set (1:6 Packs)
•8 Card "I Have a Bad Feeling About This" Set (1:4 packs)
•10 Card "Classic Lines" Set (1:4 Packs)
•10 Card "Heroes on Both Sides" Set (1:6 Packs)
•20 Card Foil Set (1:6 Packs)
•Artist Sketch Cards (1:Box)
•Plus One Manufactured Patch (Relic) Card or One Autograph Per Box. Signers include Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Ray Park, and more!

One word: insane. It could easily take you years to complete a basic set.

I hope Topps has a set of Galactic Files on display at C6.

FYI: my same source said Topps is no longer release promo cards. No value or something in it.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds cool. Definitely interested in the set, but yeah, it'd seem to be not so easy to complete one via packs (maybe even by buying whole boxes). Wonder what the per-pack price'll be.

OC47150
06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
The per-pack price has me worried, since the Galaxy 7 cards were $3 a pack. And since there are 12 cards per pack, I could easily see $5.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2012, 02:17 PM
We could almost buy our own shipping for that!
But who's gonna handle it kid, you?
You bet; I'm not such a bad postage sender myself-!

Yeah, I could see five bucks per. :( :greedy:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
So, for those who attended Comic-Con this past weekend, any mention of this card series there? Any Topps presence there at all, for any products?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2012, 09:08 AM
I won an auction for the 4 CVI promo cards (Yavin Ceremony heroes), and am awaiting their arrival. It shows online that Wed. 9/26 is the expected release date: http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2012-topps-star-wars-galactic-files

OC47150
09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Word is (and I'm getting this from a fellow card collector) that this series won't be available at retail. Just hobby.

If that's the case, that sucks. Topps is shooting itself in the foot.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I saw the word "target" on the website I posted, but then I read further and it says "target audience" of the set ("Star Wars Fans, Set Builders, Autograph Collectors, Entertainment Card Collectors".) Hmm. No hobby shops around me sell SW cards of any kind. :(

I did get those 4 promo cards yesterday. I like the connections to other card numbers (with images) on the bottom of the back.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Checked Target: no dice. And, no card packs either. :p Will need to search for "local" (read: within 20 miles?!?) hobby shops, I guess. :( Online auctions seem to be running easily over $100 for complete sets right now. :wewillbepatient: :greedy:

OC47150
09-28-2012, 07:36 AM
One of the online dealers I've purchased from in the past is selling the basic set and C6 cards for $35.

Someone in my club may have sets for sale in the next few weeks. I've bought the last few sets from him. I'm thinking he'll be asking about the same.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Stopped by a/the local comic shop, and he said he'd sell me a box for $110. I thought about it, and politely said no thanks. I might not get to experience the thrill-of-pack-opening on this set. :(

OC47150
10-04-2012, 07:37 AM
One of the online vendors I've purchased from in the past is selling the basic set, with the four C6 cards, for $35.

Someone in my club has bought a case or two and might have extra sets for sale, but it won't be for $10, he says.

OC47150
10-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Guess what I found at the Target Boutique this morning? Yep, Galactic Files! $3.19 a pack. I bought three packs. No sketch or auto or other fancy cards...yet.

The card itself is a high-quality stock, nice and heavy.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I found some Jumbo Packs at Target, which were 16 cards (for $5.29) in two 8-card pouches. I got four (but kicked myself for leaving my $5 gift card at home :( ). No duplicates at all, and a few insert subsets ("I Have a Bad...," Famous Quotes, Duels of Fate, Heroes on Both Sides) cards, but I don't think I got any different color cards (if they're even still doing that).

OC47150
10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I got one Bad Feeling card and two battle cards, Geonosis and Hoth.

I'll have to look for the jumbo packs.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I'll have to look for the jumbo packs.Here's what the jumbo packs look like... and BTW, are there "different" packs (I see in online pics that Bespin Luke is on the hobby packs) out there, with various characters on them?

p.s. Found three 9-card packs at Target (with Yoda on the wrapper), and pulled a "Heroes," a "Bad Feeling," AND a foil one of Han's Cloud City Torture. Also, my first duplicate cards. But I ordered the set (plus two of the insert subsets) online for under $33 including shipping.

OC47150
10-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Very cool.

A guy in the club is selling a set for $30. I might take him up on it.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I've been reading the backs of the full set (I also got the "Heros on Both Sides," "Classic Lines," and "I Have A Bad feeling" subsets), which are ripe with EU and trivia info., plus some not-seen-before pics. on the fronts and backs. This is a great set, especially for those who are new to SW.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Some specific things noted: errors and oddities (the Battles of Endor and Hoth have had incorrect years listed in different cards [2 or 3 ABY, and 3 or 4 ABY], 4LOM had some Force Power, the Spirit Obi-Wan still registered on the "Speed" category while Duchess Satine gets a 0 in Intelligence).

I have a complete set, so I have about 50 extra regular cards, plus some subset extras (HB-5, HB-8, BF-2, BF-4, and CL-1), if "anyone" wants to trade or deal. That's based on ALL the DIFFERENT posters in this thread, of course. :rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
11-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I am collecting these also. The only ones I am interested in though are the return of the jedi vehicles, beasts, and character regular cards. I am not a big fan of the inserts. What rotj cards do you have extra, BELCAM??

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2012, 10:08 PM
The green border characters (ROJ) I have are: 159, 160, 166, 171, 173, 176, 182, 183; and the ROJ beasts or vehicles are: 286, 292, 295, 314, 348, 350.

OC47150
11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get a basic set this weekend from one of the guys in my club.

OC47150
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Fantastic set of cards! Nice pictures, some of them new.

I might have to work on completing the subsets -- battle, bad feeling -- cards in the future.

OC47150
01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
It took me damn near an hour to put all of these cards in sleeves. Had to go out and get a bigger binder, too.

Only have two each of the Bad Feeling and Great Battle cards. If I can find those sets cheap, I might pick up.

OC47150
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
They're gone from Target. : (

I'd still like to get complete sets of the Bad Feeling, Great Battles and other cards.

OC47150
03-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Saw this on another site: Galactic Files Series 2 is on the way later this summer.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Topps_Star_Wars_Galactic_Files_Series_2_150879.asp

So does this mean we're still getting the Jedi Legacy cards and the GF 2 cards this year, too?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I wonder if continuing an established series is easier than starting a new one.

OC47150
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
It could be, as long as there are areas left to explore. There's a lot of EU that left to explore.

We're setting getting the Jedi Legacy cards as scheduled in May, I've been told.

OC47151
05-28-2013, 07:24 PM
One of my buddies got a couple of cases of the new Jedi Legacy cards. I checked out my local Target and nothing yet.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll start checking there now, too (well, not NOW now, but soon now), and looking for online sets deals.

OC47151
05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
I will probably buy a set from my friend, since he normally has extras for sale. I haven't bought a box of cards since the ESB 3D cards several years ago. Just too expensive.

Would love to have the subsets for the Galactic Files series cheap.

OC47151
05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I understand from a guy in my club that two cards came with the latest edition of the SW Insider. Don't know if that was a subscriber exclusive or what; I stopped subscribing about three years ago. I'm gonna stop at the local bookstore tonight and check.

OC47151
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
The bookstore still had the previous issue (the ROTJ 30th anniversary coverage) on the stand. However, on the back page it did state that two Topps cards would be included in the next issue. I'm going out on a limb and saying that should include news stand editions.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Quick online searches seem to have this JL set as hobby-only. If that's true; bummer. So I ordered a set (with two of the insert sets) online.

OC47151
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Quick online searches seem to have this JL set as hobby-only. If that's true; bummer. So I ordered a set (with two of the insert sets) online.

I might be wrong, but I thought that was the case with the previous set but I've been known to be wrong...from time to time.

Yoda's News reports that there are four preview/promo cards. The downside is, you have to buy two issues of the Insider. I will be on the lookout.

BTW, found a new outlet for picking up the Insider: Kroger! At least one of the bigger Krogers in my area carries it.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I got the regular set, plus the Influences and Connections sub-sets. It's nice looking, except the card backs are boring (only words on most cards, often with as much as half the card back with empty space). I haven't read through many of them yet.

[edit] I see a glaring error in the construction of this set: TOO MUCH EMPTY SPACE on the card backs. Since there are two series in the set (Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker labeled like 1A, 2A,.../1L, 2L,...), a great idea would have been to put the opposite series' photo (even in B&W, like the old Topps ESB cards) in that empty space, since the card title for each card number is the same in each series. Also, on one card, apparently Anakin was married to Padm; plus Lightsaber is usually capitalized for some reason.

OC47151
06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I read where your can order the subscriber preview cards from the Insider, or one of its distributors. I might do that. I will get the newsstand issue in the next day or so.

Since this is a smaller set of cards, and if my friend offers the subsets for sale, I might have to grab the gusto and get 'em.

OC47151
06-19-2013, 12:04 PM
I bought the newsstand issue of the Insider over the weekend. Since I had family in town, I didn't open it. I sat it down...somewhere and can't find it!!!!

OC47151
07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I think you're right, BC. I think these cards will be a hobby-only series. I keep checking Target every time I go in with hopes of finding them, but no luck. A Parks and Recreation card set (really?!?) but no SW.

Funny thing: the comic shop I frequent the most doesn't have them either. I haven't asked but no new card display boxes setting out on the counter.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Every "hobby shop" I've called or visited has said they don't carry them. Sad. Nothing in retail department stores (i.e. Target), either. Why would you NOT want to sell them? Just order a few boxes (or even just ONE) to see.

OC47151
07-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Even though I'll be buying a complete basic set from a fellow collector in a few weeks, I still like to get a few packs from the store.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Closest I was able to do with that was to also get a complete set, but I bought a few (think it was 3 or 4) unopened packs, too. Those packs netted me a few magenta and blue parallels, and a couple extra subset (Connections, Influences) cards.

OC47151
07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
My club had its yearly fundraising auction over the weekend. The guy who I've bought sets of cards from didn't have any with him, but he did donate a basic set and the subsets for the auction. So guess who got both for a sweet price??? This guy!!!!

The numbering is confusing. Like the artwork on the front but thought there were some that were almost too similar. Haven't read all of the cards. Ran out of sleeves for them.

OC47151
08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Picked up the latest Non-Sports Update at the comic shop over the weekend just for the Galactic Files 2 promo card. It's of Vader. Have to see the rest of the set to see if it's a true promo card or what.

Since GF #1 was in the store, I'm hoping #2 will, also. If not, I won't be surprised.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2013, 06:25 PM
So, this was already released? Only to hobby shops, or in Target-like places? I'll have to start checking.

OC47151
08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking just in the last week or so.

OC47151
08-16-2013, 09:40 AM
The street release date was July 31, but I haven't seen anything at the retail and hobby stores. My area's big comic shop doesn't carry that many trading cards anymore.

The base sets, subsets, sketch cards, medallion cards, etc... are on ebay.

Getting a little tired of these red and blue chase cards. I'm not a completist (at least anymore) but it's getting a little out of hand. Just give me a basic set of trading cards.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I consider them "chase cards" in that they (supposedly) have additional value; I don't seek them out, but it's nice to snag one (blue snag?) in a pack. But they just seem like a silver/grey IG-88 "variant" level to me.

I saw that release date online, but have never seen them nowheres. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Still seen in no stores. :sad: You know, I may just pass on this set. Not going to make them even remotely available to buy conveniently? Might not buy at all, Topps.

OC47151
08-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Same here. Did a mini-toy run this morning and checked several Targets, and nada.

The big card collector in the club is bound to have basic sets for sale here soon.

OC47151
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
The big flea market was this weekend. One vendor had the GF2 for sale, $5.50 a pack. I was tempted...for two seconds but couldn't bring myself to cough up five bucks for a back.

I did handle a pack. Nice and heavy.

OC47151
09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Starting to think these won't be at retail.

OC47151
09-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Starting to think these won't be at retail.

These aren't coming to retail. And neither is the set slated for November.

But I'm happy to say I'm now the proud owner of a complete GF 2 set. My club had its annual fall festival over the weekend, and the club's big card collector has sets for sale. Paid a little more than I'd like but I have them. Been so busy that I haven't had the chance to look through them all.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2013, 11:19 PM
I really haven't had a chance to read any of them, but I too now own a GF2 set, plus the Classic Lines and Weak Minded subsets (and a fold-out poster, too). It was a good online deal.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I've been checking out some of the card backs. The good: stats for Han in Carbonite card, learning that Gen. Mcquarrie's first name was Pharl. The odd: stats for Luke and Leia babies' cards, too much italics on one card, giving Palpatine a 1 level Force Power stat, not putting similar parts of the films (or characters) next to each other in the card order. The bad: some cards having the same card # and picture on the "check these other cards" bottom.

It's not bad, but apparently EVERY SINGLE STAR WARS CHARACTER SEEN ON FILM will be featured in this series, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Here's why you should get this series: cards #552, 555, and 557. These feature, in order: Jaxxon, Noa Briqualon, and Teek. But here's why El Chuxter will NOT get card #557: on their scale of 10, Teek's speed is a mere 7. :confused:

There are some interesting EU characters featured in this, too.

OC47151
11-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I've been checking out some of the card backs. The good: stats for Han in Carbonite card, learning that Gen. Mcquarrie's first name was Pharl. The odd: stats for Luke and Leia babies' cards, too much italics on one card, giving Palpatine a 1 level Force Power stat, not putting similar parts of the films (or characters) next to each other in the card order. The bad: some cards having the same card # and picture on the "check these other cards" bottom.

And you get Bob, aka Rebel fleet trooper #11 in the opening scene of ANH's card. : p

Bought the latest Insider with the promo cards. I might wait a bit longer before picking up a second one.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2013, 08:42 AM
I finished reading all the card backs of this series. I realized that it seems like the cards from the Clue board game: people, places, weapons. I just wish they'd either use larger font or put in more information; those gaps (some fairly large) on the back simply scream for filling them in. Like, a different small photo, perhaps?