PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Hasbro at SDCC - Marvel, TF, GI Joe

JediTricks
07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Even though Hasbro is stretched thinner in staff this year, they have granted us a few minutes dedicated interview time with each of their major brands during Comic-Con. I know there have been some TF and GI Joe questions being batted around the forums already, so this thread is to help us gather them into a single place. We don't have a lot of time, Comic-Con starts Wednesday and our interviews start Thursday, so the sooner you get these questions in, the more likely we are to use them.

Please keep in mind that these are in-person questions, but make sure they're appropriate - if you can't imagine saying something in front of your grandmother, then probably it needs to be toned down or edited in some way.

Also, make sure to give us any fundamental background to your question, if it's something that a casual fan of the brand might not know, then make sure to clarify as best you can to help out whomever is doing the interview ask the question you want asked get answered properly.

Don't worry about length of question, but keep in mind that these are short interviews so we won't be able to use all questions.

We already have a SW thread like this, so for SW post there. For Marvel, GI Joe, and Transformers, post below (and mark which brand you're asking about if it's not entirely clear).

Thanks!

El Chuxter
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
In light of the info that came out of JoeCon (that, ha ha, even the Joe team can't get the Dollar General Joes since there are no DG's around them), I'm going to take a bit of a different focus:

Although obviously the decision to delay GIJoe: Retaliation would've been out of your hands, it puts the toy line in a pretty precarious position, since there will be absolutely no Joe product available for the holiday season (since most of the Retaliation line seems to be selling pretty decently, and most stores will likely clearance out what's lingering by the end of September). Joe collectors are rather concerned; if Retaliation (the movie and the tie-in toy line) underperforms the way Rise of Cobra did, it really could spell doom for the toys for a while.

That said, there have been an awful lot of Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary figures over the past two years that were impossible to find, as well as a few (like Kwinn and the Data Viper) who were highly anticipated but not released. Plus, the "budget" line that currently appears to be exclusive to Dollar General actually seems to some be the most popular new Joe releases in a while. Why did you not opt to re-produce the hard-to-find figures and those that were canceled just prior to release to fill in the gap in this critical toy merchandising season, or even make the Dollar General figures available at mass retail? Obviously, it would take time to design a new card, but, with these figures, even a straight re-release on the previous cards would've kept Joe on the pegs at Christmas and would have made a lot of people very happy. (Who knows--without unpopular figures like Arctic Destro in the mix, they could actually outperform holiday season sales of Joes from the past few years?)

(I know it's wordy; I've tried to trim it, but I also know they have a way of answering with non-answers if you leave them a way to do so. Let me know if you need any more background than what I stuck in the question.

And, for the record, in case you keep that part of the question and it causes someone offense, I really like the Arctic Destro. I just didn't like seeing nothing but 30 of him in every store for over a year.)

DarkJedi5
07-09-2012, 06:18 PM
JT, I'm really currious about the Marvel Super Hero Squad line. As of ComicCon last year, it seemed like they'd officially pulled the plug. Then out of nowhere, I starded finding Spider-Man 3 packs at Target and Toys R Us and a few Avengers sets on eBay and Amazon. While limited, both lines did include newly sculpted figures apparently specifically aimed at the new films. So what's going on? Is the line back, is this a test to gage interest, or is this a one-off to tie in to the new movies?

If there's any possibility of the line continuing there are quite a few HTF sets that are fetching huge money in the secondary market and they would offer a great place to start in helping to relaunch the line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
If Vickie is there for Marvel, please tell her we love her and miss her and beg her to come back. :p

El Chuxter
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
You're just saying that 'cause she's a girl.

JediTricks
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
In light of the info that came out of JoeCon (that, ha ha, even the Joe team can't get the Dollar General Joes since there are no DG's around them), I'm going to take a bit of a different focus:

Although obviously the decision to delay GIJoe: Retaliation would've been out of your hands, it puts the toy line in a pretty precarious position, since there will be absolutely no Joe product available for the holiday season (since most of the Retaliation line seems to be selling pretty decently, and most stores will likely clearance out what's lingering by the end of September). Joe collectors are rather concerned; if Retaliation (the movie and the tie-in toy line) underperforms the way Rise of Cobra did, it really could spell doom for the toys for a while.

That said, there have been an awful lot of Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary figures over the past two years that were impossible to find, as well as a few (like Kwinn and the Data Viper) who were highly anticipated but not released. Plus, the "budget" line that currently appears to be exclusive to Dollar General actually seems to some be the most popular new Joe releases in a while. Why did you not opt to re-produce the hard-to-find figures and those that were canceled just prior to release to fill in the gap in this critical toy merchandising season, or even make the Dollar General figures available at mass retail? Obviously, it would take time to design a new card, but, with these figures, even a straight re-release on the previous cards would've kept Joe on the pegs at Christmas and would have made a lot of people very happy. (Who knows--without unpopular figures like Arctic Destro in the mix, they could actually outperform holiday season sales of Joes from the past few years?)

(I know it's wordy; I've tried to trim it, but I also know they have a way of answering with non-answers if you leave them a way to do so. Let me know if you need any more background than what I stuck in the question.

And, for the record, in case you keep that part of the question and it causes someone offense, I really like the Arctic Destro. I just didn't like seeing nothing but 30 of him in every store for over a year.)I'll do my best. We may be out of luck on the GI Joe questions, the interview slot they gave us is during an important Star Wars panel, but we're going to see if we can get something worked out. If so, I'd ask this and your other question in the other thread about Renegades. Could use a few more Joe questions just in case we can, really.

JT, I'm really currious about the Marvel Super Hero Squad line. As of ComicCon last year, it seemed like they'd officially pulled the plug. Then out of nowhere, I starded finding Spider-Man 3 packs at Target and Toys R Us and a few Avengers sets on eBay and Amazon. While limited, both lines did include newly sculpted figures apparently specifically aimed at the new films. So what's going on? Is the line back, is this a test to gage interest, or is this a one-off to tie in to the new movies?

If there's any possibility of the line continuing there are quite a few HTF sets that are fetching huge money in the secondary market and they would offer a great place to start in helping to relaunch the line.Interesting. That's our first and only marvel question. I'm adding a second about the removal of articulation, even for figures that had it in previous lines like IM. For your question, could you cite some examples of those HTF sets you were referring to?

MOAR KWESTIONS PLEEZ! (I hate myself a little for typing that :p)

El Chuxter
07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Here's a question, but it involves my personal discussion with one of the team a few years ago:

"A few years ago, I asked about a potential figure for Billy (Cobra Commander's son and Storm Shadow's student), who seems very logical for an SDCC figure (having appeared only in the comic and having two very distinct potential variants), and was told that you recognized his popularity and wanted to work him into the line somehow. Obviously, this hasn't happened. Are you still as interested in making the figure as every Joe collector would be in buying him?"

DarkJedi5
07-10-2012, 11:53 PM
For your question, could you cite some examples of those HTF sets you were referring to?

Off the top of my head some sets would include the Beast/Iceman set from 2007, and then a few sets from the end of the run: Thor/Hercules, Iron Man/Tiger Shark, and Captain America/Dark Surfer. There are also a few sets that either only saw release overseas or saw a very limited release like the Winter Soldier, Secret Invasion, X-Force, either of two Secret Wars 4-packs and the impossible to get Spider-Man/Kraven set from 2007. The Spider-Man figure from that Kraven set (a mere repaint of Spidey in his black costume from the third movie) alone commands an asking price around $1,600 on eBay.

If you need more questions for the Marvel team you could ask them about how they decide to balance repaints and rescultps of iconic or "popular" characters against including debut sculpts of more obscure or "cult" characters. I myself am a huge fan of the Alpha Flight series and buy all things Alpha. Unfortunately, the comic (and it's subsequent reboots) have never been terribly successful and so only occaisionally does a new AF figure pop up. But in a more general sense, I do find it frustrating that my collection includes 37 versions of Spider-Man while other characters from the X-Men (Banshee or Jubilee) or Avengers (Quicksilver or Luke Cage) series have yet to be done at all.

Chaddymac
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
JT - for Transformers. Got two oldies, but goodies. TF: Animated Season 3 DVD - have they officially abandoned plans to release it? And TFP: First Edition - basically the same question.

And if you want, wondering if they can comment on how they are adjusting release strategies in the current economy.

Thanks!

JetsAndHeels
07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
There have been rumors of a Masterpiece Thundercracker being released. If you could get them to shed some light on that, it would be great. Thanks. :)

Chaddymac
07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
There have been rumors of a Masterpiece Thundercracker being released. If you could get them to shed some light on that, it would be great. Thanks. :) Oh, yeah! And if they confirm it, find out which mold (original or MP-11)

El Chuxter
07-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey, JT (or anyone else)--not exactly a question, per se, but would someone mind taking a look at the new Joe figures in the case and verifying which ones, if any, have the lousy single-joint knee articulation and missing ankle joint?

It's tough to tell in package, but, in case I wind up finding them before reviews are all over the place, it'd be nice to know which ones are not worth $10.

JediTricks
07-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok, the first of our SDCC Hasbro Brand Team interviews is up, it's Transformers...

http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1268-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-Transformers-Interview

JediTricks
07-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Here's the second one, Marvel:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1269-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-Marvel-Interview

The GI Joe one is just waiting on a final touch, but it's otherwise ready to go.

DarkJedi5
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Here's the second one, Marvel:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1269-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-Marvel-Interview

Thanks JT, kinda good news/bad news with the Super Hero Squad stuff that they'll release sets to go with the movies but that seems like as far as the line will go for the time being. Makes sense, I guess, since they moved over to the slightly larger and slightly more articulated Action Squad stuff. I guess I'll just have to keep going to these Marvel movies so they keep making them and SHS sets to tie-in to them.

El Chuxter
07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Kinda disheartening on the Jubilee; seems odd that they'd make that much new sculpt and not be willing to make a minor tweak to do the classic look that more people are familiar with. (I didn't think about it earlier, but they could do a sort of hybrid look; she wore a spandex X-Men uniform for a couple of issues (one storyline where the entire team went to modern versions of the original black-and-yellow uniforms), and they could do that with the yellow trenchcoat.

The ROM answer seems rather interesting in its wording. It looks like it starts as a "no" and becomes a "we can't talk about some things now." Which would be pretty cool, if I'm not over-interpreting it.

I didn't even think of it before, but I should've asked you about the possibilities of ever getting Circuit Breaker. If she's owned by Marvel, and Hasbro has the rights to do Marvel toys, she could make a cool convention exclusive.

JediTricks
07-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Our 4th and final Hasbro SDCC interview, the GI Joe interview, is up:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1270-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-G-I-Joe-Interview

And big thanks to El Chuxter for pinch-hitting on this one, doing that interview. Hasbro's only official GI Joe timeslot they could give us was during other very important collecting-related stuff that both Steve and I had to cover, so Chux was able to save the day and get good stuff asked.

Thanks JT, kinda good news/bad news with the Super Hero Squad stuff that they'll release sets to go with the movies but that seems like as far as the line will go for the time being. Makes sense, I guess, since they moved over to the slightly larger and slightly more articulated Action Squad stuff. I guess I'll just have to keep going to these Marvel movies so they keep making them and SHS sets to tie-in to them.Sure thing, glad I could get the question in. They seemed to really like our questions, BTW, so if we keep doing this sort of thing it could work out that we could make a positive impact in that area. They obviously recognize SHS's value, so it's worth keeping in mind for next con (whether that's NYCC or Toy Fair or even SDCC '13).

Kinda disheartening on the Jubilee; seems odd that they'd make that much new sculpt and not be willing to make a minor tweak to do the classic look that more people are familiar with. (I didn't think about it earlier, but they could do a sort of hybrid look; she wore a spandex X-Men uniform for a couple of issues (one storyline where the entire team went to modern versions of the original black-and-yellow uniforms), and they could do that with the yellow trenchcoat.

The ROM answer seems rather interesting in its wording. It looks like it starts as a "no" and becomes a "we can't talk about some things now." Which would be pretty cool, if I'm not over-interpreting it.

I didn't even think of it before, but I should've asked you about the possibilities of ever getting Circuit Breaker. If she's owned by Marvel, and Hasbro has the rights to do Marvel toys, she could make a cool convention exclusive.I looked at that Jubilee, I think the only problem is the lack of shorts really, they could paint the lower body skintone as her legs and the upper body could just be painted to look like her shirt. Still, it's at least something they thought about when giving us an answer, better than a brushoff.

The Rom answer was very interesting, I was quite surprised as they went through it that way. And now that Hasbro owns Parker Bros, they should have the rights to do any Rom products they want. Or maybe we're both misreading it and they mean they could do something in the future, or something entirely else.

UGH! Asking about Circuit Breaker would have been brilliant, why didn't you think of that a week ago?!? She *is* owned by Marvel, they put her in Secret Wars specifically to claim ownership so when she showed up in Transformers comics it was legally their product already; all the questions we ask Hasbro TF are no from that angle, but Hasbro Marvel is a different ball of wax.