PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Comic Con 2012 Reveals and Discussion

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Even though it's just preview night, and I don't think it will be officially open for a while, SSG has already put up a couple shots on Facebook - one is of the already-revealed Kmart AT-ST, but the other shows off two new AT-ST-themed two-packs (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/306788_400816293309646_833781481_n.jpg), both in "Special Action Figure Set" packaging! The AT-ST Driver and AT-ST Gunner set looks to use the body from the 2010 Hoth set, hopefully with Richard Marquand and Robert Watts heads! The other set is the Ewoks who hijack the vehicle, here called Widdle Warrick and Wunka - different from the same figures released as "Wicket and Oochee" a few years back, and much updated! For some reason, Wunka has a green hood, though the one in the film has a black one (the Ewoks in the film are different outside the ship than they are inside, presumably due to different filming locations, so who knows what's even going on there). I wonder if it comes with an alternate hood, like the Ewok multipack? I also wonder if these might be Kmart exclusives to go with the AT-ST itself.

Anyway, I'm giddy as a damn schoolgirl for more updates. :D

Battle Droid
07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Probably Wal-Mart exclusives.

sebillba
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I was quite excited to see the new ewok set on Facebook - hope there are a few more new goodies revealed before I go to bed tonight!

I would've preferred Oochee to have come with Widdle again, as I won't feel able to "retire" the old figure if Wunka is a different character. I just looked up Wunka on google images, and was quite shocked by some of the results!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Probably Wal-Mart exclusives.
Why do you say that? The figures match the Kmart-exclusive AT-ST, and they're on the Special Action Figure Set packaging that's so far been exclusive to Target. We'll find out soon enough, and it's possible, but Walmart doesn't make much sense.

I would've preferred Oochee to have come with Widdle again, as I won't feel able to "retire" the old figure if Wunka is a different character.
You could always just use the older Ewoks as background characters. Once I get home from work, I want to compare the Ewoks from outside and inside the AT-ST to see the differences and how they relate to the figures.

The Ewok pack picture shows the backs of some figures down below that look to include Anakin, a TIE Fighter Pilot, Pablo-Jill/Coleman Kcaj (hoping for Coleman), an AOTC Clone Trooper Sergeant, and what looks like FA-4. Sweet!

El Chuxter
07-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Oh, God, please do not let Ewoks be a K-Mart exclusive. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Pictures are starting to come in. Nothing new in Vintage, though I'm glad that Nien Nunb isn't a midget (he should be human-sized, even though the puppet in the cockpit can look smaller at times). Movie Heroes gets a repacked VOTC Boba Fett with a feature-laden backpack, plus a new Battle Droid that is for some reason split at the middle and looks to feature electronics (unless that's just part of the sculpt?). Nothing new we haven't already seen aside from that yet . . .

JediTricks
07-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Pictures are starting to come in. Nothing new in Vintage, though I'm glad that Nien Nunb isn't a midget (he should be human-sized, even though the puppet in the cockpit can look smaller at times). Movie Heroes gets a repacked VOTC Boba Fett with a feature-laden backpack, plus a new Battle Droid that is for some reason split at the middle and looks to feature electronics (unless that's just part of the sculpt?). Nothing new we haven't already seen aside from that yet . . .It's not electronic, it's sculpted and painted to be the interior midsection, and it pops apart.

We'll be putting up more photos very soon, watch the news post on the front page as I update it, or just keep an eye on the photo gallery I suppose.

Oh, and they pulled some items back, like those 2 AT-ST packs, so you guys are the first to see that... after me and Steve. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 06:31 PM
It's not electronic, it's sculpted and painted to be the interior midsection, and it pops apart.
If it springs apart, then that could be a cool action feature. ANYTHING is better than seeing the current useless Movie Heroes Battle Droids rotting on the pegs.

I wonder how much they'll reveal during/after the panel (as seems to be the case with the AT-ST packs), and how much they'll save to reveal at CVI.

JediTricks
07-11-2012, 06:54 PM
If it springs apart, then that could be a cool action feature. ANYTHING is better than seeing the current useless Movie Heroes Battle Droids rotting on the pegs.

I wonder how much they'll reveal during/after the panel (as seems to be the case with the AT-ST packs), and how much they'll save to reveal at CVI.Reveal, you say? Check the news now, and another... now.

bigbarada
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
New Speeder Bike! More photos please.

Awesome that they finally ditched the landing "feet", but is anyone else a bit worried about the position of that clear stand? It seems like the Speeder Bike could start to "wilt" over time and give the impression that the Biker Scout is trying to ram it into the ground.

Battle Droid
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Are pictures of the figures that were under the Endor 2 Packs coming today?

JediTricks
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
New Speeder Bike! More photos please.

Awesome that they finally ditched the landing "feet", but is anyone else a bit worried about the position of that clear stand? It seems like the Speeder Bike could start to "wilt" over time and give the impression that the Biker Scout is trying to ram it into the ground.The nose had its own built-in point to keep that from happening, if I remember correctly.

DarkJedi5
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I just hope that landgear on the front of the speeder bike is either removable or blends in when folded up. I think it's neat that the cannon can attach to the underside of the bike, makes it a bit more playable for the kiddies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Inspector JJL, here to solve the mystery of the Ewoks. Er, well, not to solve anything, and nobody asked, but I wanted to compare some stuff, so deal with it. :p

First, the glider Ewoks - the first one is a light brown Ewok with a darker brown hood, much like the unnamed one released in the 1998 Complete Galaxy Endor globe (http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2cgewok.asp). He drops a rock on an AT-ST, and gives an "Aw, shucks!" arm motion.
The second glider Ewok has black fur and a green hood. He drops a rock on a stormtrooper, who in turn fires his gun and brings down the Ewok as an AT-ST stomps in the background (but not squishing the Ewok, as I sometimes thought). This character was made as an unnamed "Ultra" figure (http://www.rebelscum.com/sw04ultraewok.asp) in the 2004 Saga line.
(Warok is sometimes listed as being one of the glider Ewoks, and he was released with a repacked glider in the 2009 Battle for Endor battle pack. He isn't either of the glider Ewoks shown in the film.)

Through a progression of a few shots, we see Chewbacca and two Ewoks make it into an AT-ST. First, they see their target. Chewie is joined by a brown Ewok with a darker brown hood and pronounced lips, and a black Ewok with a brown hood and no visible teeth.
A separate shot shows them starting to run towards the AT-ST, and it is very clearly the same Ewoks as the previous shot. Then they swing together as Chewbacca does his best Tarzan impression - the brown Ewok appears a bit lighter, though it's probably just the lighting.

An Ewok with orange-brown fur, white cheeks, small lips, and a light brown hood pops his head in front of the AT-ST's view ports - this is Widdle Warrick, Wicket's brother.

When we cut back to a shot of the AT-ST Gunner getting out of the cockpit and can briefly see a black-furred, brown-hooded Ewok, barely on the side of the frame.
I'm thinking that this was the original black Ewok, given that this was likely shot in the forest and that the hood is definitely brown. There's a wider shot of the Ewok when Chewie throws the gunner, but it's tough to make out any details.

Widdle appears in the in-cockpit shots, as does a new black-furred Ewok, who has visible teeth (and a lighter-colored nose and lips). At different times, his hood appears green, black, and in places, somewhat brown, all seemingly due to the lighting.

Given the release of the new figure, I'm gonna go ahead and call this one Wunka. I didn't realize that his hood sometimes looks green - this means it might be the same costume used for the second glider Ewok.

Widdle appears throughout the battle now and again (as I'm sure other Ewoks do, but Widdle's cheeks give him away). He actually appears in a shot of celebrating Ewoks that's reacting to the hijacked AT-ST blowing up another AT-ST, right before Flitchee the blaster-toting maniac appears.

Don't worry about the Ewok that Widdle replaced - he's waiting in the trees, celebrating after the logs smash an AT-ST's head (though he's not one of the two Ewoks who actually cuts the rope).

This is probably a case of them using one pair of costumes on-location, and one on-set, for the AT-ST hijackers, and not really checking to make sure that they were the same costumes (or perhaps even just wanting to pick more interesting ones for the in-cockpit shots). I just find it interesting that they could be so clearly different, even though you might not notice it unless you were really paying attention (as I don't think I took notice until they released the 2007 battle pack). But the fact that Widdle appears on the ground while he's ostensibly in the cockpit is an example of how they were more concerned with editing it interestingly than keeping continuity in check.

Remember that the 2007 Target exclusive Battle of Endor ultimate battle pack (http://www.rebelscum.com/tacUBPendor.asp) included a 1998 Wicket repaint that looked like Widdle but still called the figure "Wicket W. Warrick," and a 1998 Logray repaint (with Wicket's hood and spear) in black fur with a black hood and called the figure "Oochee." Given the evidence in the film, I'll say that Wunka flew the hang glider, but decided to switch tactics after he got shot down. Since the Wunka figure is now replacing the Oochee figure, maybe Oochee is supposed to be the black one that gets left behind in the film. Or maybe I'm just reeeeeally overthinking this and going a little crazy. :yes:

bigbarada
07-12-2012, 03:27 AM
they were more concerned with editing it interestingly than keeping continuity in check.

I think that's it exactly. Because that also explains some of the weirdness going on with the Skiff Guards and Rebel Pilots.

Also, even though they took reference photos of every character in order to help keep everything consistent, it doesn't seem like they paid much attention to those photos when they started doing secondary photography or the effects work (which would explain why one Skiff Guard is missing on the Cargo Skiff miniature).

I think that black-furred glider Ewok is actually a go-motion puppet and not a person in costume.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I think that black-furred glider Ewok is actually a go-motion puppet and not a person in costume.
Based on what? It looked like a person in costume to me, though perhaps you're right given how he gets shot out of the sky.

Anyway, it doesn't look like much new stuff is actually on display right now. Hopefully they'll put the new stuff back out after tomorrow's panel.

Oh, but going off the carded images posted by Sandtroopers (http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20120712/), I like how the Royal Guard has alternate training gear. I wonder what the head sculpt looks like, then.

El Chuxter
07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
No, he's a person. His name is Randy and I went to high school with him.

bigbarada
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
No, he's a person. His name is Randy and I went to high school with him.

And some day, he's going to fly away from this place. In fact, that's what he was trying to do before he got shot down.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Hasbro accidentally put out a new Luminara Unduli figure yesterday where the current Barriss Offee was supposed to go; Sandtroopers (http://www.sandtroopers.com/events/sdcc2012/preview_night/Hasbro/target81.html) has the clearest image I've seen, and Hasbro has since taken it out of the booth. It looks like she comes with a proper full robe, unlike the ROTS/Order 66 versions, so this is a welcome upgrade. I bet she'll be part of the 2013 AOTC push, but we'll see.

LTBasker
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, and they pulled some items back, like those 2 AT-ST packs, so you guys are the first to see that... after me and Steve. ;)

Awesome grab! I saw the pic on facebook and was looking through other sites (I swear only they had both SW and non-SW coverage!) to see if they had more pics of them and couldn't find anything. Looking forward to seeing more of those, although this makes me concerned we're unlikely to see an AT-ST Driver on vintage cardback anytime soon.

The speederbike, from what can be seen, looks great too. I'm curious about the front outrigging though because it appears to have some sort of extra bits on it that feature an articulated mechanical foot, appearing to be forward landing gear for the speederbike. Any idea if the extra bits are sculpted on or is this a removable piece?

DarkJedi5
07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Of the figures shown in the slideshow and seen at the booth after, the Pablo-Jill looks like a monster figure but the Padme strikes me as the winner so far. It replaces a relatively bad figure and it is from a pretty action-packed part of the film, but the sculpt and detail is quite good. I'm currious to see how some of the figures listed in wave 2 Mara Jade has given them some trouble in the past and I'm currious to see if the A-Wing pilot brings anything new to the table.

On a side note: Anyone know when the Carbon-Freeze set is expected to be available online?

bigbarada
07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
The A-Wing Pilot was the most exciting reveal in the slideshow as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping that it's a human version of the Mon Calamari Pilot, which is the only screen accurate A-Wing Pilot uniform made in the modern line yet.

A-Wing Pilot on an R2-D2-shaped "Droid Factory" card, kinda makes me think of the vintage figure that was packed on a Droids card. :cool:

It's also good to see that the landing strut on the Speeder Bike is removable. Not sure how much of the Biker Scout has been retooled. The head feels like it might be new.

Carded TIE Pilot makes me think that there will be a TIE rerelease at some point in 2013.

Also, interesting that they went back to the "Legacy" name. Might as well have named it the "Titanic" or the "Hindenberg" collection. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
07-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I hadn't looked at the slide show pictures yet, so it was a surprise when I saw an e-mail today from Brian's Toys about the Jocasta Nu figure. I just put my pre-order in. Kind of excited about some of the other figures that will be coming. I just hope I can get the Ewok packs since there has not been a TRU near me since 2006.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Remember that the 2007 Target exclusive Battle of Endor ultimate battle pack (http://www.rebelscum.com/tacUBPendor.asp) included a 1998 Wicket repaint that looked like Widdle but still called the figure "Wicket W. Warrick," and a 1998 Logray repaint (with Wicket's hood and spear) in black fur with a black hood and called the figure "Oochee." Given the evidence in the film, I'll say that Wunka flew the hang glider, but decided to switch tactics after he got shot down. Since the Wunka figure is now replacing the Oochee figure, maybe Oochee is supposed to be the black one that gets left behind in the film. Or maybe I'm just reeeeeally overthinking this and going a little crazy. :yes:
The newest Star Wars Insider names a ton of Ewoks, and they show a black Ewok with a green hood and call him Tokkat. Wookieepedia shows him holding a bow, so who knows. Tokkat and Wunka are apparently brothers, so perhaps Tokkat is the hang glider one after all.

El Chuxter
07-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Don't know if Dooku's pilot droid has any use without a Solar Sailer. :(

That Geonosian, though, wow. Definitely looks to be worth the price of an upgrade.

sebillba
07-14-2012, 03:33 PM
The newest Star Wars Insider names a ton of Ewoks, and they show a black Ewok with a green hood and call him Tokkat. Wookieepedia shows him holding a bow, so who knows. Tokkat and Wunka are apparently brothers, so perhaps Tokkat is the hang glider one after all.

Lego have already made a Tokkat minifig. http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=sw339

El Chuxter
07-14-2012, 03:47 PM
They should give the unnamed Ewoks all silly names and not try to come up with alien names. They should be called things like Pupubut, Weener Deener, Hasselhoffitus, Great Lord Whimsy-arse of the Fartocracy of One, Dingleberry McHotpants, and Ralph.

DarkJedi5
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
That Geonosian, though, wow. Definitely looks to be worth the price of an upgrade.

I can't confirm it, but the photo looks like it's just a repaint of the Sun Fac figure that's been repainted a couple of times since the Saga Collection.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
During the panel, they called the Geonosian "Sun Fac," even though it's just a generic "Geonosian Warrior" on the Anakin cardback mock-up. Anyway, they started with the 2006 Sun Fac figure, upgraded the legs for the Kit Fisto Target Geonosis Arena Showdown set (repainting the eye so it's not missing), and it's been out a few times since then in various multi-packs. I'm assuming the deco is at least somewhat unique, whether that was intentional or not. At any rate, I'd like to get a few more of this version, so it's a good re-release choice.

El Chuxter
07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I haven't paid much attention to Geonosians in a while and didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :)

Battle Droid
07-15-2012, 07:22 AM
I wish the Geonosian wasn't wearing Sun Fac's outfit, maybe the final product won't be.

Most Geonosians don't wear anything except the skirt or whatever you call it.

JediTricks
07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
The landing leg on the bike is removable, it's for displaying off its clear stand. There's also a removable e-web-style cannon that clips onto the midsection of the bike for more play options, and the set is aiming to be under $20.

Sun Fac is that Geonosian's name, and when asked at the panel, Leland Chee confirmed it's "Sun Fac", a single name rather than a first and last.

Battle Droid
07-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Why release Sun Fac again or are they just calling it a Geonosian Warrior on the card?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
The card will probably say "Geonosian Warrior." The back of the Anakin card shows it that way, and so does the slide. This could change, of course, as the package was just a mock-up. But the figure has both eyes painted, so it's just a Geonosian of the same class as Sun Fac, but not specifically Sun Fac.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe it will be his cousin, Fun Sac.

El Chuxter
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
That sounds dirty. :)

And a quick "Oh, DAMN!!" Because I just learned that the droids are BAD's. The pilot droid was one of the very few figures I wanted at all; I'm sure (especially at the now-likely $10+ price point) I won't be getting all his pieces. :(

happy
07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
With the announcement of the end of the Vintage line, I will end my collecting of Star Wars figures. If or when they bring it back I will start buying again, Hasblo.

mtriv73
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
The pilot droid was one of the very few figures I wanted at all; I'm sure (especially at the now-likely $10+ price point) I won't be getting all his pieces. :(

I'm a carded collector but I love droids so the last B.A.D. line posed a real problem for me. I wasn't about to buy doubles of everything, but I really wanted those droids. Luckily I could usually pick up whole droids cheap (relatively) from Ebay sellers working out of China and the Phillipines. The astromechs were around $12-15 each and the others were $20-25.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2012, 11:20 AM
HasbroToyShop has the Carbonite Set NOW! (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-vintage-carbonite-chamber-7-pack?BR=495&ST=NW&PG=1) I just got mine, and it was just under $100 shipped.

EDIT: They're sold out already.

DarkJedi5
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Has anyone had any luck tracking down the Kmart AT-ST and Ewok packs? I've hit the only two Kmarts within a half hour of me and they seem like they've got a peg for it (says "SW Vintage Mixed $14.99) but they're cleaned out with no idea when they'll be getting them. I'm a bit concerned that they have already come and gone (I was out of the country on the date that is on the printed tag 9/20/12, and when I got back and checked, the pegs were empty).... Anybody have any insight?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Has anyone had any luck tracking down the Kmart AT-ST and Ewok packs? I've hit the only two Kmarts within a half hour of me and they seem like they've got a peg for it (says "SW Vintage Mixed $14.99) but they're cleaned out with no idea when they'll be getting them. I'm a bit concerned that they have already come and gone (I was out of the country on the date that is on the printed tag 9/20/12, and when I got back and checked, the pegs were empty).... Anybody have any insight?I finally saw them for the first time last week.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I got them a few weeks ago and have only seen them one other time, at two different stores - neither store had shelf tags for them, and the second store didn't even have them with the rest of the SW stuff (I had to turn around to see them). Kmart typically gets in their exclusives slowly, but they'll soon be back - and in greater numbers. Usually Kmart's exclusives have been pretty snoresville, while these are actually exciting and interesting, so they will probably be a little bit tougher to track down, but I'd keep checking, and at as many Kmart stores as possible.

indyjones1981
10-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi DarkJedi5. I have an extra Ewok & AT ST set unopened. I live in Ohio and picked up a few sets. I do have them on ebay now for best offer. If you are interested I would be willing to sell them for $45 shipped. That will be what I paid for them, the tax, shipping with confirmation and the cost of the packing supplies. If interested let me know. Thanks.