PDA

View Full Version : SDCC Carbonite Chamber

doch18
07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Will it be available on hasbrotoyshop? I've been looking. Did they sell out?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I've been looking as well, and I don't think they've gone online yet. Apparently, last year's exclusives went online the Tuesday after the convention, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep checking today. I know they sold out of their allotment for the convention, but I'm assuming (or at least hoping) that they set some aside for the website.

tagmac
07-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Just ordered mine, and with free shipping, so the 10% off code doesn't work. Better hurry before they're gone!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I forgot about this thread, as I consider this a Vintage release . . . anyway, I got mine, but they're already sold out. That was fast, and some of the other exclusives were gone even faster.

mtriv73
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Well, looks like I missed it by a matter of minutes. 2 years in a row of exclusives I would have payed good money for and Hasbro doesn't want to take it. The real kick in the arse is that the one event I will be able to make it to, Celebration VI, they're not even making an exclusive for. Oh well, more money to spend on Lego sets, at least you can find those in stores.

El Chuxter
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
They should, since they're investing in the molds anyway, do some sort of "non exclusive" for all SDCC exclusives that's a little different. Maybe take the foil sticker off the boxes. Remove one accessory from the figures. In this case, I'm sure a lot of people would've been happy with just the Jar Jar being sold separately.

DarkJedi5
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
And so begins my crusade for carbonite Jar Jar to win the next greatest hits poll and see a rerelease.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, looks like I missed it by a matter of minutes. 2 years in a row of exclusives I would have payed good money for and Hasbro doesn't want to take it. The real kick in the arse is that the one event I will be able to make it to, Celebration VI, they're not even making an exclusive for. Oh well, more money to spend on Lego sets, at least you can find those in stores.
They should have offered the carbonite set at CVI as well as SDCC. They did that for the 4-LOM and Zuckuss two-pack in 2010, IIRC, though they also had the Camie and Fixer pack at CV.

They should, since they're investing in the molds anyway, do some sort of "non exclusive" for all SDCC exclusives that's a little different. Maybe take the foil sticker off the boxes. Remove one accessory from the figures. In this case, I'm sure a lot of people would've been happy with just the Jar Jar being sold separately.
Their idea (in theory, at least) is usually that the figures could be seen as separate or supplementary to a normal collection - Jorg Sacul, CIII Vader, and carbonite Jar Jar fit the bill, as they're not based on anything from the actual canon. Things like the CIV McQuarrie figures veer into the "if you have the other figures from this subline, you're gonna want these" territory, and so did the Camie and Fixer two-pack. I don't know much about the other lines, but the GI Joe stuff painted like Transformers is probably a little outside the realm of the regular line as well (though I dunno about those Jinx figures). Of course, for weirdos like me who have to have anything that's slightly unique, it's a different story. :p

For last year's giant Death Star set, the packaging was the only thing that was exclusive - everything else was re-released to a point of oversaturation a few months later, aside from the previously-released Salacious Crumb and Mouse Droid (their cards were part of the exclusivity). It was presented cool, but since the only difference was the packaging, I can live without it.

As to the cost of the mold, I'm assuming some of it has to be offset - at least in Jar Jar's case - by the other figures coming with it. They're all being packed into the main line, and only two of the figures are all-new molds anyway (plus changes to Vader and the sandtrooper). People can get the same "lost line look" or just regular Vintage cards for the wave. So those figures can't cost very much comparatively, and putting everything in a big set allows them to charge a lot of money and make you feel like you're getting a good bang for your buck (to some degree, anyway). I would have rather just bought Jar Jar by itself (two, actually, so I could keep one carded and open the other one), but if this is the way it's gonna be, then so be it.

El Chuxter
07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Hasbro's been really weird with SDCC Joe exclusives lately. On the one hand, there are the crossover figures with Transformers, which are just cool icing for your collection. On the other hand, with basic figure exclusives, it's a bizarre mix: most people won't want Cobra Commander in a pinstripe suit, and Sergeant Slaughter has rights issues that'd prevent him from being made as a mainstream figure. But Jinx is an important character (both in the classic line and Retaliation, which was supposed to be out around the time of SDCC), Zarana is immensely important and was highly-requested for ages (she'd be really tough for all but the best to customize), and the Destro figure was the only unmasked Rise of Cobra figure (as opposed to that pegwarming figure of the character as he appeared for all of six seconds at the end).

That's opposed to Transformers, who look to normally be repaints of existing figures to look like obscure Japan-only characters.

Snowtrooper
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I think I got one of the last ones. I ordered it, went back to the website after I got done, and it was already sold out. Kinda lucked out, I guess.

figrin bran
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Congrats to those that were able to score the set despite HTS' mismanagement

Would it really hurt to announce the date and time rather than have thousands of people constantly refreshing your website?

And then at the convention itself, I've read reports that limits were not always strictly enforced, which most likely had the ripple effect of there being less goods to go around for the online post con sales.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2012, 11:22 AM
It's in stock again (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/exclusives-star-wars-vintage-carbonite-chamber-7-pack?CD=96&ST=SO&PG=1), so hurry and get it!

EDIT: It's gone again. But now I guess we know that it will probably go up at 12 EST whenever they make it available.

DarkJedi5
07-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Refreshed neurotically from 12-12:36 EST and they didn't seem to make any available today. I guess I'll check again tomorrow, though it seems doubtful that there would be anyone managing the website on a Saturday.

TheDarthVader
07-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I am about to stop collecting hasbro stuff. Number one, things like this...something people want but very limited. I have more of a life than to keep refreshing a page to see if the item is available (no offense, darkjedi5). I have to work at a job 845-6 tuesday through saturday. There is no way I have access to internet at around 11am, even if I did I am working and would not be able to get on a computer.
Next, I can not find any vintage figures retail. I am having to order cases and that is expensive plus I get figures that I do not collect or figures that are on their 8th wave of re-pack (ie episode 1 figures). That sucks!!

I am going to focus on sideshow and 12" figures now.

Congratulations to those who were able to squeeze in the order within that window first or second time around. Enjoy your jar jar!

DarkJedi5
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I am about to stop collecting hasbro stuff. Number one, things like this...something people want but very limited. I have more of a life than to keep refreshing a page to see if the item is available (no offense, darkjedi5). I have to work at a job 845-6 tuesday through saturday. There is no way I have access to internet at around 11am, even if I did I am working and would not be able to get on a computer.
Next, I can not find any vintage figures retail. I am having to order cases and that is expensive plus I get figures that I do not collect or figures that are on their 8th wave of re-pack (ie episode 1 figures). That sucks!!

Congratulations to those who were able to squeeze in the order within that window first or second time around. Enjoy your jar jar!

No offense taken, if I weren't home studying for the bar, there's no way I'd have been able to take 30 minutes out of my day to sit on the website. And on a side note, I was able to get one of these sets off of eBay with only a $20 mark-up. All things considered, it's not THAT bad.

Snowtrooper
07-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Alot of us feel like this. I'm starting to get to where I just really don't care if I miss out on figures, exclusives, etc. My interest has been moving more towards prop replicas, which I'm thoroughly enjoying right now. The sad thing is, Hasbro is making some of the best figures they've ever made. If they would just act like they give a damn about the line, it might change my attitude. Its a crime the way they've been running things lately.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
It's back up again, so get it and quit yer cryin'! (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-vintage-carbonite-chamber-7-pack?BR=495&ID=30494)

Mine arrived yesterday, though I won't be able to see it until Friday. I'm looking forward to checking it out.