PDA

View Full Version : New A-Wing Pilot in 2013

bigbarada
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
This is actually the only figure announced so far for the 2013 Build-A-Droid line that I am remotely excited about. However, that excitement depends heavily on what Hasbro chooses to do for this figure. Ideally, I would like to see the body used from the Mon Calamari Pilot, with new hands and a human head. A new, smaller helmet sculpt would be preferred, but I'm not going to complain too much if Hasbro reuses the current A-Wing Pilot helmet.

If that's what Hasbro releases, then it would be the first truly accurate A-Wing Pilot in the modern line. All of the human A-Wing Pilots from 2007 up until now are completely inaccurate from the neck down. Although, I'm not saying that I want Hasbro to rerelease all of those named pilots in the new mold. I would prefer that this not be a named character, just a generic "A-Wing Pilot" on the card.

It's just too bad that they couldn't have released this guy in the Vintage Line. :(

Also, I'm wondering if this means that Hasbro plans to release a new A-Wing next year as well?

JediTricks
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I like your thinking, especially on a revamped A-wing to go with.

I didn't realize the previous A-wing pilots have been so inaccurate, but I see what you mean. However, weren't there 2 different A-wing outfits on Home One?

bigbarada
07-23-2012, 10:54 PM
I like your thinking, especially on a revamped A-wing to go with.

I didn't realize the previous A-wing pilots have been so inaccurate, but I see what you mean. However, weren't there 2 different A-wing outfits on Home One?

The uniforms were all mixed and matched in the Rebel Briefing room and hangar bay scenes, but inside the cockpits they only wore the uniform that we got with the Mon Calamari Pilot.

However, I'm about 95% sure that the 2007 A-Wing Pilot uniform is a completely EU creation and didn't appear in the films at all. There shouldn't be any Rebel insignia on the shoulders and the vest/chestbox is completely wrong. I don't think the boots are right either, but I haven't examined them that closely.

If Hasbro had just cast an X-Wing Pilot in green and called it an A-Wing Pilot, then it would have only been slightly less accurate than the 2007 figure.

OC47150
07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I found a loose Mon Cal A-wing pilot at the comic shop a month or so ago. I'm wanting to customize him, turn him into a human pilot but have the sleeves rolled up. Trying to find human arms that are compatible or match what I have in mind.

Of the deleted scenes figures released, the Mon Cal pilot was the one I wanted the most. He's just different, and that's pretty cool.

bigbarada
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Ugh, Hasbro just went with a repaint of the 2007 A-Wing Pilot. Fail.

Somehow in the back of my head I knew Hasbro was going to screw this one up. I just didn't think they would screw it up this bad.

JediTricks
08-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Ugh, Hasbro just went with a repaint of the 2007 A-Wing Pilot. Fail.

Somehow in the back of my head I knew Hasbro was going to screw this one up. I just didn't think they would screw it up this bad.I knew they would screw it up this bad. :p Sorry dude, I would guess it's too expensive. If I were at C6 I'd tell Merten your idea for a better A-wing pilot, he'd get it done in the Exclusives line where there's less budget concern while Derryl and Dave still would suffer at the hands of a slashed budget in the mainline.

Tycho
08-30-2012, 01:48 PM
See, I want a Tycho figure in his X-wing gear, or civies (he wears clothes like Han Solo with the vest since he idolizes Solo - not a bad choice if you ask me). Or I want Tycho in his Rebel Alliance Dress Uniform.

Now all of these can be easy head-swap customs, and really easy for Hasbro to offer as well.

Tycho's head plus:

Han's body = civies.
X-wing pilot body = normal Rogue Squadron work clothes
Wedge's comic pack dress uniform body = Alliance dress uniform (to stand with Wedge as First Officer Tycho)

I think the correct Arvyl Crynnd (light brown to blonde hair - similar to Tycho's but cut shorter) came with the Walmart exclusive A-wing - unless that was the green A-wing (Crynyd's was red). [He killed Admr. Piett by crashing into the bridge of the Executor.]

Honestly, the idea that the Rebellion was a multi-species effort for freedom from the Empire is reflected with more cool alien pilots in the comics, which I'd prefer to all the humans with bad 70's haircuts from ANH. I did buy and enjoy the pilots of the different starfighters from the TRU exclusive ROTJ pilot packs.

Anyway, I also want a Wedge figure in his civies, which is similar to Bespin Han except the colors are kind of reversed. Wedge has a brown jacket and blue (but maybe black) pants.

OC47150
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I didn't make the Hasbro panel at C6, and very little new stuff (new X-wing pilots, AT-AT set, ewoks) was out in the display cases at the Hasbro booth. Overall, very disappointing.

I have mixed feelings about the smaller sized ships. Greed has taken over; lower the price back to $20, not the size, and people will buy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I have mixed feelings about the smaller sized ships. Greed has taken over; lower the price back to $20, not the size, and people will buy.
It would be easy to blame Hasbro's greed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Aside from rising costs of oil used in shipping and plastics, especially the packaging, the main issue for price increases is that the Chinese factories have raised wages for their workers. The new $20 Class II vehicles are designed to be easier to construct as they're in fewer pieces than previous versions, meaning the labor and production costs will be inherently cheaper. I saw them in person and if they didn't tell me they were scaled down, I wouldn't have been able to tell much of a difference (aside from the Slave I, obviously).

At the panel, Hasbro mentioned that this A-wing Pilot was based on a guy walking around in the hangar due to the head wrap. Like JT, I didn't realize the previous figures weren't accurate to the cockpit outfit, but since this is supposed to be a hangar guy anyway, does that make it more acceptable, bigbarada?

JediTricks
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
It would be easy to blame Hasbro's greed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Aside from rising costs of oil used in shipping and plastics, especially the packaging, the main issue for price increases is that the Chinese factories have raised wages for their workers. The new $20 Class II vehicles are designed to be easier to construct as they're in fewer pieces than previous versions, meaning the labor and production costs will be inherently cheaper. I saw them in person and if they didn't tell me they were scaled down, I wouldn't have been able to tell much of a difference (aside from the Slave I, obviously).

At the panel, Hasbro mentioned that this A-wing Pilot was based on a guy walking around in the hangar due to the head wrap. Like JT, I didn't realize the previous figures weren't accurate to the cockpit outfit, but since this is supposed to be a hangar guy anyway, does that make it more acceptable, bigbarada?I don't see it as greed, it's simply impossible for Hasbro's over-the-top overhead on manufacturing, shipping, and management ends to turn a profit on the current vehicles which have jumped to $30, so the question is do they want kids to try to spend $30 for vehicles or do they want to get vehicles down to a $20 point. Hasbro chose the latter, and seeing the results I am strongly thinking about leaving the brand entirely - vehicles were my chief interest, so not only have they botched the release of the latest molds severely, but now they're making the vehicles hollow boring junk with virtually no features and no real value except they look like a thing. It's understandable from the short-term perspective, but it ignores that Hasbro has an extensive library of the existing vehicles which SHOULD have been turning pure profits but brand management kept shoving the same Jedi Starfighter molds down everybody's throats until even kids were totally sick of them and then KEPT trying to sell them. Those molds are paid for, they don't need new work, but now those existing molds are out the window except for use in exclusives because they can't be marketed alongside these new turd vehicles as it'll just make them look that much worse a value.

As for the A-wing guy, I bought the Tycho Celchu figure and that's it, the mold is only ok in detail and articulation, it could use a refresh, but I am not sure how much I'd care about that either as the A-wing isn't a huge deal even in its own film.

Tycho
08-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Hasbro can re-release at $20:

old, small TIE Fighter
old, small X-wing (no electronics)
A-wing
V-wing - which amazes me why they don't - it's a great ship - one of my PT favorites - and they made their money on the tooling.

I have significant stock in Hasbro, btw. Of course I want to see a profit - not only for my income shares, but for the health of the toy line I love so I can one day get a Gungan Sub.

I have not seen pictures of Slave One, BTW.

Why make a 4th one?

1) Kenner version from 1980, repainted for 1996 SOTE release, and then in circulation on until 2002.
2) Hasbro AOTC Jango Fett version 1: revolving cylinder fire missiles - one of my favorite features in any SW toy ever!
3) Clone Wars BS1: in the package with Mace's Jedi Starfighter and CW Bossk figure, amongst others.

The Kenner one could easily be re-released to carry Carbonite Han.

The AOTC smaller one could be re-released and I think it was repainted in Boba's colors even for an OTC exclusive window box on Bespin.

The BS1 could be painted in Boba's colors and ought to be for vintage ESB packaging.

If they made a 4th mold for a cheap $20 version, wouldn't that be more expensive and a greater risk if the ship doesn't do anything - than re-releasing one of the 3 previous molds in a new or old paint scheme?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
If they made a 4th mold for a cheap $20 version, wouldn't that be more expensive and a greater risk if the ship doesn't do anything - than re-releasing one of the 3 previous molds in a new or old paint scheme?
They're doing these new molds because they require less assembly work at the factories, which is where a lot of the price increases are coming from lately. Since they don't release cost information I think we'll have to assume that going this route was ultimately cheaper than reusing an older tooling in this instance.

bigbarada
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I would assume that Hasbro has a tooling budget that is separate from the rest of their budget. That would basically required them to spend a minimum amount of money on new tooling every year.

So, just for argument's sake, let's say that Hasbro tooling budget for 2012 is $1,000,000. However, they only spend $750,000 on new tooling in 2012, so what's their tooling budget for 2013 going to be? $750,000. Basically, if they don't spend it, they lose it.

If that is the situation, then they can't NOT spend money on new tooling, otherwise we will cease to get all new toys in the line for the foreseeable future.

Tycho
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks JabbaJohn.

New Tooling, Big B:

IG88's IG-2000
Zuckuss' Myst Hunter
Dengar's Punishing-One

Xizor's Virago

Mara Jade's Z-95

Qui-Gon Jinn's Gungan Bongo

Anakin's Jedi air speeder (ROTS)
Obi-Wan's Jedi air speeder (repaint of Anakin's)
Utopau Fighter (not the Magna Guard's ship)

Clone Wars: Hondo's flying saucer Rapier-One
Clone Wars: Hondo's pirate tank
Clone Wars / ROTS: Battle Droid walking assault cannon (similar idea to the Clone Army's but different mold)
Clone Wars: Assaj Ventress' Fanblade Starfighter
Clone Wars: Darth Maul's freighter (undersized)
Clone Wars: that Zygerrian fighter that looks close to an HTTE Skipray Blastboat and could be used as such

AOTC: Dooku's Solar Sailor

ANH: Lars Family Landspeeder

ESB: Rebel Alliance Mobile Ice Laser

ROTJ: Improved Jabba's sandskiff (might not be doable for $20 though - but a must to go with the Sailbarge Class 3 I want).

NJO Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper

NJO: New Republic E-Wing Fighter (if they could pull off the K-Wing Bomber but it's more ARC-170 sized)

Dark Empire: V-wing fighter - it's different from the Old Republic / Early Empire one

Guri's Stinger

I could so go on and on....

New VEHICLES would sell. If you were a kid, you'd buy these to play with. If you're NOT an EU fan, there will still be some that might be appealing. If you're like me, you'd buy them all!

JediTricks
09-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Hasbro can re-release at $20:

old, small TIE Fighter
old, small X-wing (no electronics)
A-wing
V-wing - which amazes me why they don't - it's a great ship - one of my PT favorites - and they made their money on the tooling.

I have significant stock in Hasbro, btw. Of course I want to see a profit - not only for my income shares, but for the health of the toy line I love so I can one day get a Gungan Sub.

I have not seen pictures of Slave One, BTW.

Why make a 4th one?

1) Kenner version from 1980, repainted for 1996 SOTE release, and then in circulation on until 2002.
2) Hasbro AOTC Jango Fett version 1: revolving cylinder fire missiles - one of my favorite features in any SW toy ever!
3) Clone Wars BS1: in the package with Mace's Jedi Starfighter and CW Bossk figure, amongst others.

The Kenner one could easily be re-released to carry Carbonite Han.

The AOTC smaller one could be re-released and I think it was repainted in Boba's colors even for an OTC exclusive window box on Bespin.

The BS1 could be painted in Boba's colors and ought to be for vintage ESB packaging.

If they made a 4th mold for a cheap $20 version, wouldn't that be more expensive and a greater risk if the ship doesn't do anything - than re-releasing one of the 3 previous molds in a new or old paint scheme?I don't know how you can argue they can release those at that price, they have more parts or are larger.

The SOTE release was a $30 box, too big/heavy for the current $20 shelf size. The AOTC version was the same size, less fragile too. I am guessing by them doing a new one and a new Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter they are hoping kids will get swept up in the AOTC 3D mania and buy at a price they're comfortable at - I highly doubt that will happen though.

They're doing these new molds because they require less assembly work at the factories, which is where a lot of the price increases are coming from lately. Since they don't release cost information I think we'll have to assume that going this route was ultimately cheaper than reusing an older tooling in this instance.I asked Hasbro at SDCC if they would consider moving manufacturing back to North America (Mexico was my specific example) since shipping and management would be far less costly, unfortunately I asked the Transformers brand and not the SW brand - TF said a flat "no", but another site got the SW brand interview to show some consideration to a future possibility although currently it'd be difficult. I think they need to pull out of China at least partly, diversify manufacturing so that no one economy can bring it to its knees.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would assume that Hasbro has a tooling budget that is separate from the rest of their budget. That would basically required them to spend a minimum amount of money on new tooling every year.

So, just for argument's sake, let's say that Hasbro tooling budget for 2012 is $1,000,000. However, they only spend $750,000 on new tooling in 2012, so what's their tooling budget for 2013 going to be? $750,000. Basically, if they don't spend it, they lose it.

If that is the situation, then they can't NOT spend money on new tooling, otherwise we will cease to get all new toys in the line for the foreseeable future.I think they have a main budget based on past brand performance, but not on current expenditures, so they don't NEED to spend their budget in any specific area so long as they are seeing reasonable return. Since the return comes out a year and a half after that budget is planned, it's obviously a fluid system rather than an annual one. Hasbro was happy as a clam to not spend money on new tooling though, this last year has shown that.

OC47150
09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
At the panel, Hasbro mentioned that this A-wing Pilot was based on a guy walking around in the hangar due to the head wrap. Like JT, I didn't realize the previous figures weren't accurate to the cockpit outfit, but since this is supposed to be a hangar guy anyway, does that make it more acceptable, bigbarada?

I think I caught a glimpse of this guy during Spike's back-to-back showing of Jedi. Blink and you miss him.

Tycho
09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't know how you can argue they can release those at that price, they have more parts or are larger.

The SOTE release was a $30 box, too big/heavy for the current $20 shelf size. The AOTC version was the same size, less fragile too. I am guessing by them doing a new one and a new Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter they are hoping kids will get swept up in the AOTC 3D mania and buy at a price they're comfortable at - I highly doubt that will happen though.

Yeah, you're right.

I'm glad we collected when we did. The old stuff is going to be regarded as being so much better!

Guess what guys? There will once again be a market for old school Kenner and even more recent (2012 and prior) vehicles because I think when kids learn about what we got "back in our day," they will want our ships.

I'm as easily talking about any prior mold for Slave One as I am the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid and even the 1995 X-wing re-release or the T-16 Skyhopper (remember that? It's in your closet somewhere).

JediTricks
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
The question is: will the prequels dilute future interest in Star Wars? Whether you love them or hate them, there I think should be no question that they don't have the lasting appeal or impact with the general public that the original Star Wars trilogy did. So will future generations scavenge our OG vehicles, or will they simply drop the inferior modern product altogether and with it any Star Wars staying power?

Tycho
09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Time will tell. Without being something like 5 to 10 years old we can't answer how are in 20 as it is for the in a can opener 1 socket versus Honolulu could we grew up with

Tycho
09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Whoooops. I can't edit my post from my phone either. Voice to text really garbled that 1. What I meant to say is that the dumpsters and the appeal of Clone Wars to them has to be determined as it is there new Star Wars well we grew up with Han and Luke.

bigbarada
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I really don't think the "Prequel generation" will have the same attachment to Star Wars that the OT generation has. Mainly because the Prequels debuted in a much more crowded playing field. They went up against the LOTR trilogy, the Harry Potter series, Spider-Man, X-Men, and about a thousand other sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero films (many of which were significantly better films). That kind of market saturation simply didn't exist in the late-70s/early-80s. These days, CGI-heavy, special-effects driven films are a dime a dozen.

Plus, television production values are better today than most feature films from the 80s, so it's not like kids are starving for big fantasy epics right now.

Basically, I think the Prequels will be viewed as nothing special and increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.

El Chuxter
09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Kids I know prefer the original movies by a long shot. Or they watch Clone Wars.

bigbarada
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Kids I know prefer the original movies by a long shot. Or they watch Clone Wars.

That's been my experience as well. My nephews grew up with the Prequels (my oldest nephew's first word was "jar jar"), but they still prefer the OT by far.

My friend's son, who is about 13 now, was introduced to Star Wars when he watched Ep3 on HBO in 2006. However, even though a Prequel film was his introduction to the Star Wars saga, his favorite movie was still Return of the Jedi. Until Clone Wars came out, then that was his favorite.

In fact, I don't know of any kid who likes the Prequels more than the OT. Either they consider them equal parts of a whole, or they prefer the OT. That's out of all the kids I know who show even the slightest bit of interest in Star Wars at all, which isn't a lot these days.

Tycho
09-06-2012, 01:22 AM
I stopped in Walmart tonight and there were 4 kids gravitating suits or worse

bigbarada
09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I stopped in Walmart tonight and there were 4 kids gravitating suits or worse

Yeah, I hate when I got into Walmart and there are kid in 'gravitating suits' just flying around like they own the place.

El Chuxter
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Methinks you're having speech-to-text issues again, T. :D

JediTricks
09-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I really don't think the "Prequel generation" will have the same attachment to Star Wars that the OT generation has. Mainly because the Prequels debuted in a much more crowded playing field. They went up against the LOTR trilogy, the Harry Potter series, Spider-Man, X-Men, and about a thousand other sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero films (many of which were significantly better films). That kind of market saturation simply didn't exist in the late-70s/early-80s. These days, CGI-heavy, special-effects driven films are a dime a dozen.

Plus, television production values are better today than most feature films from the 80s, so it's not like kids are starving for big fantasy epics right now.

Basically, I think the Prequels will be viewed as nothing special and increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.I dunno, a lot of those movies - even the Harry Potter series - don't have a lasting impact on audiences the way the original Star Wars still does. LOTR maybe comes the closest, but it gets so dense that it seems like it'd be difficult to carry 100% forward. Star Wars OT resonates in a different way, I think, and that's partly why it's still a top boys toys licensed brand after so long, kids feel it and want to have a piece of that universe to imagine with.

Kids I know prefer the original movies by a long shot. Or they watch Clone Wars.My niece when she was little couldn't sit through Ep 1 for very long, but she made it through the entire OT and even for a time was into the "bad piggies" from ROTJ (Gamorreans, I gave her one of my 3 or 4 POTF2s before the others were released).

That's been my experience as well. My nephews grew up with the Prequels (my oldest nephew's first word was "jar jar"), but they still prefer the OT by far.

My friend's son, who is about 13 now, was introduced to Star Wars when he watched Ep3 on HBO in 2006. However, even though a Prequel film was his introduction to the Star Wars saga, his favorite movie was still Return of the Jedi. Until Clone Wars came out, then that was his favorite.

In fact, I don't know of any kid who likes the Prequels more than the OT. Either they consider them equal parts of a whole, or they prefer the OT. That's out of all the kids I know who show even the slightest bit of interest in Star Wars at all, which isn't a lot these days.ROTJ is pretty much the perfect film for pre-teens, it was that way for me as well. The heroes all triumph, the action is big, there's excitement on the ground and in the sky and with lightsabers, it makes heroes out of every single character including the villain, it's awesome for an 8-year-old.

I stopped in Walmart tonight and there were 4 kids gravitating suits or worseYou don't actually have to hit "send", you can blabber into your phone and then read over it, move the cursor to the nonsense and fix it BEFORE hitting send the first time.