PDA

View Full Version : Lucasfilms' "major plans for 3D in 2013"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
This Variety article (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056925) includes a quote from Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner:

Goldner ran through 2013 which boasts ''G.I. Joe: Retaliation,'' ''Iron Man 3,'' an untitled ''Star Trek'' sequel, ''The Wolverine'' and ''Thor: The Dark World.'' He said Hasbro will partner with LucasFilm on a ''new event'' he declined to name that he said Lucas will announce in late August at the Star Wars convention in Orlando. ''They do have major plans for 3D in 2013,'' he said.
There have been rumors that both AOTC and ROTS will make the 3-D rounds next year, but is that all that this "new event" could entail? Might this tie into the "big surprise" coming at the Celebration VI closing ceremonies? Always in motion is the future . . .

El Chuxter
07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Episode VII: The Funky Chicken.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Tucker: A Man in 3-D, perhaps?

Kidding. They will release the first hand-held 3-D transmitter... that only shows a model of the Tucker Torpedo!

tagmac
07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Maybe the live-action TV show will finally see the light of day.

DarkJedi5
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM

In 3D…? (Post too short)

DarkJedi5
07-25-2012, 09:37 PM

In 3D…? (Post too short)

El Chuxter
07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
OMG, you know what this REALLY means, right?

HOWARD THE DUCK 2!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
You know, I thought the same first two-word phrase when I saw this thread, but I considered...

Howard the Duck: The Prequel!!

Snowtrooper
07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Its the holiday special in 3D. Who wouldn't wan't that?

JimJamBonds
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Teek will finally get his own movie!!!!!!

JimJamBonds
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
So E's II and III will be released in Sep and Oct of '13. So the big news is you get to wait a year and a half for the first movie and then you'll get the second one 3 months early?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm fairly sure I'll see them at some time, but I doubt it'll be midnight on opening night.

El Chuxter
08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
What happened to one per year? That makes more sense than waiting longer and throwing the two weakest installments out together.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
What happened to one per year? That makes more sense than waiting longer and throwing the two weakest installments out together.Your comment just made sense to me, especially with the title of this thread: there will be an Episode II I/II: The Smell of Fear. Lt. Dannl Faytonni and Lt. Fr'ank Drebbon seek out bounty hunter Ojay Symp-Son across the galaxy.

But, this film release "news" smells of desperation. Or worse, apathy. :(

JediTricks
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I suspect once they got the ILM importing process down, doing Ep 2 and Ep 3 were equally easy, and the February flop release of Ep 1 made another Feb release unwise to repeat. That said, there's zero chance that Ep 4 is going to be as easy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've been working on its conversion for the last few months already.

Lucasfilm really needs to get this release dropped in May to July, not after August but before the holidays.

El Chuxter
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Episodes II-III are guaranteed to not do well. Episodes IV-VI are guaranteed to do well.

I'm not saying that based on my personal lack of esteem for these movies, but the general population perceives the OT as these classics of western civilization, and the PT as, well, just kinda there. If Episode I didn't do well, the other two won't do much better. (I'm assuming they'd do a little better, since most people are wrong and think II-III are better than I, but nowhere near what IV-VI will do.)

Of course, people may realize they're the blu ray versions and not pay to seem them, anyway.

JediTricks
08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Here's the problem, the prequel 3D is going to look good, almost every shot is easier to work with because it's digitally composited in some way, often a character or vehicle or background is easy to pull out, and it's shot on digital so there's no film grain to fight. The OT was shot 36 years ago on film stock, the ANH film stock is destroyed and only the Special Editions remain and their digital effects work looks like garbage by today's standards, I mean it's shocking how awful the digital in the OT looks, it's horrendous, everything's blurry and cartoony and shoddy and jumpy, so all that is going to make a mess of the 3D conversion process. I suspect the OT won't handle conversion as well as the PT and people won't respond well to that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I saw about five minutes of AOTC 3D at the panel with Dennis Muren and Jon Knoll, and it definitely looks fantastic. The clip included the opening logos, Padmé's ship landing and exploding, a little of the Zam chase, Dexter Jettster, the aiwha on Kamino, C-3PO getting his head knocked off, most of the Yoda/Dooku fight, and the loyalists looking over the clones. Sometimes they were able to take background plates from ILM to make the conversion easier and cleaner, but most of the time they'll still have to just cut around everything, place it in 3D space, and then pull out the individual parts of the object and painting in the background for the separate eyes' images. I'm not sure how much of one method is used versus another. They showed examples of different artistic possibilities and are absolutely doing it right. I haven't seen a ton of 3D, but I've seen a fair amount, and TPM was probably the best example of post-conversion I've seen. So it's a shame that not many people saw it, whether they're tired of 3D or didn't like the movie or whatever (I wanted to see it more but was busy with school at the time). All the industry 3D hype aside, it really was a completely different way to see the movie and be more immersed in it, quite frankly. The AOTC footage looks deeper than that film did as well, so it might be that they're pushing it further, or that there are just more opportunities than TPM. 3D isn't right for every movie, but it works for these.

When they did the Special Editions, they digitally recomposited most (if not all) of the effects shots anyway, so they should probably be able to use that information to the same ends they're using it for the 3D prequels. If not, well, there are significantly fewer elements in most of the OT shots, so given enough time they could probably do the cut-and-pull type of job on most of it just fine. Grain shouldn't really be that big of a problem, either - other films have been post-converted from the pre-digital era, the effects in at least ANH were shot in such a way to minimize image degradation, and TPM wasn't shot on digital anyway and turned out fine.

bigbarada
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Here's the problem, the prequel 3D is going to look good, almost every shot is easier to work with because it's digitally composited in some way, often a character or vehicle or background is easy to pull out, and it's shot on digital so there's no film grain to fight. The OT was shot 36 years ago on film stock, the ANH film stock is destroyed and only the Special Editions remain and their digital effects work looks like garbage by today's standards, I mean it's shocking how awful the digital in the OT looks, it's horrendous, everything's blurry and cartoony and shoddy and jumpy, so all that is going to make a mess of the 3D conversion process. I suspect the OT won't handle conversion as well as the PT and people won't respond well to that.

I watched ANH on Blu-Ray and it's amazing how horrible and out of place the digital shots look next to the original elements. I think the higher resolution of Blu-Ray makes those scenes look even worse than they did in 1997 (or 2004, when they redid them for the DVD). The scene with Han and Jabba looked so bad that it reminded me of one of those parody movies where they intentionally make bad special effects as part of the gag. It's hard for me to believe that somebody at Lucasfilm actually watched that said, "Okay, that looks good enough."

Which is funny, because the actual footage from 1977 looks really good, crisp and smooth. It's only the "improvements" from the Special Edition and the DVD release that look horrible, choppy, and out of place. The nice thing about film is that it doesn't really have a resolution, so you can scan it into the computer at print quality resolution if you want to, which is significantly higher resolution than Blu-Ray. A 1080p Blu-Ray image has 1440x1080 pixels for an images that is 20" by 15" at 72 dpi. A print quality 20" by 15" images would be 6000x4500 pixels at 300 dpi (although the dpi can go up to 1600 for print images, which would be 32000x24000 pixels). So a basic print-quality image is over 4 times better than the so-called "high-resolution" Blu-Ray image. That's why the old films never seem to have a problem translating to the 1080p format. Clearly, they never considered higher-resolution formats when rendering out the Special Edition CG sequences.

I bought the Star Wars Blu-Ray set a month or so ago, but I've been hesitant to watch ESB and ROTJ because of how badly ANH was marred by the so-called "enhancements". I might just trade in the entire Blu-Ray set and not risk soiling my memories of ESB and ROTJ.

Besides, the packaging for the 6-movie Blu-Ray set is the worst design I've ever seen. It feels like I'm going to snap the discs in half just trying to remove them from those ridiculous sleeves they packed them in.

Now I'm fully willing to join the campaign to get the pre-Special Edition Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray. I think George Lucas owes it not just to his fans, but to the entire movie industry.

Oh wait, this thread is about the 3D versions of Ep2 and 3 right? I might go see Ep3 in 3D, but that's only if I have absolutely nothing else to do. After what I saw on the ANH Blu-Ray, I'm almost hesitant to go see the OT in 3D now. But, maybe if everything in the movie looks like a South Park cardboard cutout, then the Special Edition effects won't look so bad anymore.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2013, 03:27 PM
StarWars.com posted (http://starwars.com/news/focusing-on-star-wars-episode-vii-lucasfilm-postpones-episodes-ii-and-iii-3d.html) that the conversions of AOTC and ROTS have been "postponed" so they can focus on Episode VII. Whaa??? I really wonder what this will mean for the tie-in products and the packaging designs. Presumably they won't be released until after Episode VII, if at all, meaning the same for the OT. Very odd indeed.

bigbarada
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Interesting development and it makes me very interested to see what Hasbro will have to show at Toy Fair. "Interested" in the sense of pure morbid fascination that is. Because this is likely to be a train wreck for Hasbro if they were counting on those 3D releases.

I wonder if this is based on the dismal performance of Ep1 3D or are they just running that far behind schedule in getting Ep7 done? I wouldn't be surprised if we later hear that Ep7 is postponed until 2016. Which would be fine by me, I would rather them take their time and make the best movie possible than have them rush out a piece of garbage.

Besides having a Star Wars movie delayed by a year wouldn't be unprecedented, ANH was originally supposed to be released in 1976, not 1977.

JediTricks
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Epic quit. ;)

Chaddy posted this link: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Between the inability to make any sort of impact last year with the Ep 1 3D release, the expense of converting the rest of the films, some sort of need for a delay on Ep 2 which sounds expensive as a concept, it doesn't surprise me that Disney is pulling back from these.

What does surprise me is Disney stepping in and exerting such a major change from what Lucasfilm had been doing up until very recently, that's an aggressive move.

Interesting development and it makes me very interested to see what Hasbro will have to show at Toy Fair. "Interested" in the sense of pure morbid fascination that is. Because this is likely to be a train wreck for Hasbro if they were counting on those 3D releases.

I wonder if this is based on the dismal performance of Ep1 3D or are they just running that far behind schedule in getting Ep7 done? I wouldn't be surprised if we later hear that Ep7 is postponed until 2016. Which would be fine by me, I would rather them take their time and make the best movie possible than have them rush out a piece of garbage.

Besides having a Star Wars movie delayed by a year wouldn't be unprecedented, ANH was originally supposed to be released in 1976, not 1977.I doubt this will actually decimate Hasbro's Toy Fair showings, I think they learned from last year not to put too many apples into one cart with these 3D releases. That said, they've already got product hitting shelves now that's Ep 2-themed, and the packaging for this year is movie-themed first with AOTC and then ROTS, so that will not be pleasant to face, but I doubt it'll break any plans.

Ep 7 I doubt is delayed here, they're in pre-production, it's the beginning of 2013 aiming for a mid-2015 release date, plenty of time to get it together. I suspect they just don't want to have too many Star Wars movies at theaters at the same time stepping on the big-budget new film's toes, 2013 would have ended with 2 SW films in theaters, then 2014 and 2015 would have had at least one more if not 2, plus of course the new Ep 7.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-29-2013, 10:13 AM
It was announced this morning that there will be screenings of AOTC 3D at Celebration Europe (http://www.starwarscelebration.eu/en/Whats-Happening/Events-A-H/Attack-of-the-Clones-in-3D/). The press release's wording is a little vague, mentioning "iconic scenes," so I wonder if the entire conversion was completed or not. Even though I won't be going, I assume this means they'll be able to bring it to the next USA Celebration as well (like they did for TPM at CVI), so I'm glad there's still a chance I'll get to see it. Between this, the sneak peek at Rebels, and the Kathleen Kennedy appearance, apparently I'm really missing out only sticking to the stateside cons . . .

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2013, 10:17 AM
The press release's wording is a little vague, mentioning "iconic scenes," so I wonder if the entire conversion was completed or not.It will be the floating fruit scene, the zoom-in look during the Geonosis battle, and the first view of the Outlander Club entrance. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Wait, the floating fruit scene wasn't already horribly-done post-converted 3D? :p