PDA

View Full Version : London Olympics 2012

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
The two week period of global peace begins this weekend. Michael Phelps not only says he's out of the running (swimming?) for the US flag bearer in the Opening Ceremonies, he won't even BE there since his first event is the next day. Hmm.

Beyond the standard track & field, sprint swimming, gymnastics, and basketball events; I don't don't know which other ones I'd say "ooh! gotta see that!"

O O O
o O O

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Opening ceremonies were pretty good, with more humor than typical Games have had. Trying to see "live" events isn't easy, based on what's televised. Might have to check in with online content if I really want to see a short event as it happens (I won't watch full b-ball games, gymnastics routines, or cycling races that way), like swimming or running races.

JimJamBonds
08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I thought the opening ceremones were terriable, that whole 'story'.... ehhh. Why does there need to be a show??? Although I did like the fact that Bob Costas mentioned Our Great Leader's 11 hole's in 1 in the first round of golf in his life.

p.s. I thought Sir Roger Bannister should have lit the flame. Who is that you ask? The first man to break 4 minutes for the mile, a feat that many thought couldn't happen. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
So, events I will likely NOT see:
- judo (just don't know the rules enough)
- equestrian
- fencing
- sailing
- handball
- boxing (doesn't have the same draw as it once did)
- weightlifting
- trampoline

Yes. I said trampoline. Why? WHY?!?

Events I'm surpised I've enjoyed:
- rowing
- kayaking

Events I wished I saw more of:
- water polo
- archery
- indoor volleyball

And US men's basketball scores 156... and wins by 83?!? They hit 29 3-pointers.

JimJamBonds
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
BCJ did you hear about the shennanigans in yesterdays boxing?

As for myself, track and field started today so I'm excited about that!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I just read about it. I "see" nothing "wrong" with it at all. :bribe: :greedy:

Yes. Track & field will have me in front of the set for hours and hours now.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
BCJ did you hear about the shennanigans in yesterdays boxing?

As for myself, track and field started today so I'm excited about that!

Boxing in the Olympics has always been shady, especially in light of the Roy Jones incident. They have revamped the scoring several times and it seems that no one can get rid of the taint surrounding the judging.

Track and field is a highlight of the games, Usain Bolt is superhuman. I just wish they'd show some of the less prestigious events in prime time such as the steeplechase, decathlon and the throwing events such as the hammer and shot put.

JimJamBonds
08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The Roy Jones Jr. incident from 24 years ago... thats still terriable. Although let us not forget the 1972 gold medal basketball game between the US and USSR. That was a joke.

Evan Jagar from Oregon (actually Illionis) was 6th in only his 7th steeple ever. He broke the US record at the Diamond League meet in Monico last month, he could (hopefully) be a factor in the future. As for the female steeple, Emma Colburn from U of Colorado was I think 8th, so she should have a couple more Olympics in her. And also the decathalon starts on Wednesday.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I think, even aside from Ballroom Dancing, Rythmic Gynmastics, or Trampoline, I have discovered the most useless Olympic event: speed walking. Those athletes look like they are in the process of permanently damaging their hips, ankles, and legs. Then, in SPEED walking, the broadcast would go to a slo-mo shot of the "action." ?!? :confused:

And in soccer, the country with Spanish as its official language (and it's not Spain) beats the country with Portuguese as its official language (and it's not Portugal) for the gold medal. And the Brazil team lost with superhero names: Hulk, Raphael, Neymar (whose name sounded to me like "Namor" the way the British announcers spoke).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2012, 08:57 AM
How did I miss the opening of the Paralympics? :( It ends tomorrow?!? Has any of it been televised?

JimJamBonds
09-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I've seen some reports on the internet but I'm not sure any of its on tv.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2014, 07:08 PM
I have heard nothing but terrible updates about the winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Infrastructure as almost non-existent, nowhere near ready for visitors, let alone athletes. Sad, right now; just hope it doesn't turn into some tragedy later. :(

JimJamBonds
02-07-2014, 08:48 AM
You mean something like this...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sochi-olympics/sochiproblems-journalists-complain-about-hotel-rooms-online-n23391

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2014, 06:39 PM
There's just no enthusiasm for me about the 2014 Games. At least, so far.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2014, 08:35 PM
There's just no enthusiasm for me about the 2014 Games. At least, so far.
The winter games for whatever reason just doesn't do much for me, although there are some cool events for the most part they get a meh.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Ahhhh!!! That women's final was brutal; giving up a 2-goal lead in the 3rd, including a final-minute game-tying goal, then Oh Canada getting the gold in OT.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Will Canada sweep Gold for both Men's and Women's hockey? Will the US men get any medal? (their Bronze game vs. the Fins is at 7am our time tomorrow)

JimJamBonds
02-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Will Canada sweep Gold for both Men's and Women's hockey? Will the US men get any medal? (their Bronze game vs. the Fins is at 7am our time tomorrow)
I'm going to say it'll be a maple leaf sweep. :snarky:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
I'll predict a one-goal close one: 5-4 in regulation for... Sweden! :eek:

JimJamBonds
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
And the countdown to Rio begins!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I enjoyed the Sochi games. As disappointing as they were for the Americans in hockey and snowboarding's marquee stars (White and Jacobellis), they did put forth a great effort in the sliding sports (first individual luge medal ever, silver in skeleton and bobsledding). I think it was 7 medals total. Also, great finishes in the newer sports like slopestyle and such.

Look forward to Rio in 2 1/2 years.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Today they had a delayed Closing Ceremony for the Paralympics. I only watched a little of it.

JimJamBonds
03-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Why was it delayed?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I was going to say "tape delayed," but the youngins might not know what "tape" is. At least, the TV scroll guide didn't list it as a "live" event, but maybe it was (it was dark there, so perhaps the time zones were matched).

JimJamBonds
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Ok good, I thought maybe it had to due with what's going on in Russia's neighbor/new territory.