PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Reseals-should Or Can They Be Banned From Auction Sites?

darthlee
03-09-2002, 08:53 AM
i just wanted to ask what you hought about star wars rip off merchants selling resealed carded vintage on ebay.I myself do not mind people resealing privately for their own collections but when they start selling them on ebay its starting to give me the right hump!
It is starting to affect the selling/tradeing of vintage star wars on ebay because more and more so called "COLLECTORS" if i may call them that,are actually buying this resealed crap.i have tried to sell a moc 12 back u/p trooper twice now but people would rather buy 3 resealed vintage figures,with their out of colour repairs and the seller saying"I HAVE HAD THIS IN MY COLLECTION FOR SOMETIME NOW BUT I AM BEING FORCED TO SELL"but he doesn,t seem to realise hes sold the same reseal countless times.
I wanted to know whether these should be banned as too many real collectors are starting to lose out on sales/trades.
I am even thinking about emailing LUCASFILM about it to see if anything can be done.
I do not mean to offend anyone by this thread,and it is just my own personal opinion.

thanks

2-1B
03-09-2002, 02:19 PM
I understand your frustration.

I don't really buy Star Wars items through eBay, but a few years ago I purchased a resealed Poncho Leia, and it was a great deal. The seller was completely upfront and honest in the description, and because of that I was able to get a mint figure with card for a good price. The reseal job was not faultless, but it looks nice.

But that is probably an exception to the rule . . . if people are passing off resealed figs as the real deal, they are evil :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2002, 03:01 PM
I also do not buy figures from eBay, but then, I don't buy carded figures anyway. If they're loose, you know (for the most part) what you're getting. And they cost less! ;) :greedy:

evenflow
03-11-2002, 06:47 AM
I think if someone is up front about it, letting you know what you are actually buying then it's not a big deal.

sith_killer_99
03-11-2002, 07:03 AM
I agree, as long as the buyer knows, then it's all good.

I bought a ROTJ Boba Fett, loose with card. The card itself is beautiful. The bubble must have just fallen off over time, because there was NO ripping, tearing, etc. Just a faint discoloration of the outline of where the bubble was attatched. I have considered resealing a bubble to this myself.

Rollo Tomassi
03-11-2002, 09:48 AM
"let the buyer beware"

stormie
03-14-2002, 04:42 PM
I agree, let the buyer beware. However, I do find that many auctions are not exactly up-front about stating that a reseal is, indeed, a reseal. I can't count the number of times I've read through a vintage MOC auction description only to find a short phrase that casually states that it's a reseal, while the rest of the description repetitively states that the figure is mint on a mint card. Yes, the buyer is stating it's a reseal, but he (or she) is trying to hide the truth in the text of the description, hoping that the lazy bidder won't see the reseal phrase. If it's a reseal, it should state it in the title, and at the beginning of the description. This rule should probably also apply to custom carded figures. It's a bummer when you find out that a MOC vintage 12-back Stormtrooper auction with a BIN of $40 is actually just a custom.:)
I really need to stop clicking on those auctions, but the voice in the back of my mind keeps saying that I may one day get lucky.;)

LusiferSam
03-16-2002, 10:16 AM
I don't even collect carded figures and this ticks me off. It like repo weapons for loose figures, it forces that much more careful. I'd love to it them banned but because it's a secondary market there is little to be done.

Wolfwood319
03-16-2002, 03:28 PM
I can see why people are upset, but it does go back to that "buyer beware" statement. If you are unsure of it being MOMC or resealed, ask before you bid. People can sell anything they want on eBay or other auction sites, so you can't get them banned just because they are hurting a very specific aspect of a collector's market. I don't think Lucasfilm can do anything about it either.

Your best bet is to always email the seller before you bid, and see if it is resale. And if people are buying resealed items over true MOMC that you are selling, it unfortunate, but nothing can really be done. Its the buyers choice. if he wants resealed over true MOMC.

I for one only collect loose vintage stuff, and have bought resealed items once or twice, merely to open them. I'm sure there are people out there willing to buy your true MOMC Stormtrooper, but maybe eBay isn't the best place to try to sell it.

So, in conclusion, email the seller before you bid to make sure you know whay your getting, there are a lot of scum out there panhandling stuff on ebay, but there are also a lot of good deals to be found too. You can't change other peoples' minds about buying resealed stuff, if they would rather have resealed over MOMC, that's their choice. I don't think Lucasfilm has any authority in this area, either.