PDA

View Full Version : Falling Skies Season 2

Tycho
08-13-2012, 04:33 AM
I was quite sure that the leaders and group in Charlotte were in league with the aliens somehow.

Is the Chancellor just some kind of egomaniac dictator? I was glad to see the General take action. But is he trustworthy?

I can't believe Season 2 is almost over! It looks like it's some great Skitter war next week. Won't want to miss that.

What the heck is falling from the skies in the preview?

I got harnessed at Comic Con, btw.

OC47150
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Great season.

As a student of history, Terry O'Quinn's character was trying to create a similar society to 1770s America, but it wasn't working.

Just as puzzled as you as to what's falling from the sky.

I wish the producers would give us the actual invasion episode.

gdk1dufner
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
This Season is great. I am watching it daily at night online. Show is absolutely brilliant.

OC47150
04-18-2013, 02:18 PM
First commericals that I've seen for season 3 says it's back June 9.

Tycho
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Ah, good.

I'm going to buy the first 2 seasons on DVD.

I really like this show. Special effects sucked the first year, but I don't think they invested a lot since they didn't know Falling Skies was going to be a hit like it has been.

I mean the mechs looked really fake in season 1.

But for me, what I care most about is the story. Next that it's well acted by a talented cast. And I like Noah Wiley and Blood Moongood. The captain is interesting since I think he's kind of an unusual casting choice. I guess that's why I am captivated by watching him.

bigbarada
06-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Okay, I watched the last half of the season 2 marathon they ran on TNT the other day and I do like the show a lot. From what I've seen so far, this is the alien invasion story that I've always wanted to see.

My only gripe is that it seems the writers have little or no experience writing military dialog, because all the military characters do nothing but spout cliches left and right. Plus, I really, really, really hate it when they have "soldiers" wearing ponytails while in uniform. I understand it's wartime, but if that's the case, then why even bother wearing the uniform in the first place? Minor gripes that probably wouldn't even bother me at all if I hadn't spent over 10 years in the military; but since I did spend over a decade in the military, it's the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Tycho
06-05-2013, 02:33 AM
I agree with you.

I think "the military" in so much as the captain (who was revealed to also have been a construction contractor in his private life) are comprised of survivors who were Reserve National Guard.

So maybe being advanced in rank, but only serving "one weekend a month" prior to the invasion, they are as you see them?

I only recollect the captain wearing a ponytail and he's an unusual one. I started to like him because of that, whereas I felt the same way as you about his character before I spent 2 seasons with him.

I think many of the other people in their resistance units were drafted from amongst the survivors. Any with actual military training had once been discharged but they have the skills.

Just like you're a civilian now, Nate. If you wanted to have blue hair and multiple piercings, you could. Then the aliens invade and you're amongst the survivors that include some military personnel. You'd help them, no doubt. Maybe you needed clean clothes after the water was shut off? You got what they could issue.

You're there to help, so no one's going to tell you that you can't have nose and eyebrow rings with blue hair. You're helping (professionally too) right?

And you wouldn't lose your rank either? If you were discharged a SGT FC, than I doubt they'd promote an active duty private over you in any event, once you came back. So the private could be shaved down and in clean boots, but you keep the rank along with the ponytail, blue hair, whatever.

You're not in the United States military now. This is the remnant. You're fighting to re-establish the United States but it doesn't currently exist. It's "the Skitters' World" right now (although we found out the Skitters were slaves as well).

Can't wait for season 3 to start!

bigbarada
06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree with you.

I think "the military" in so much as the captain (who was revealed to also have been a construction contractor in his private life) are comprised of survivors who were Reserve National Guard.

So maybe being advanced in rank, but only serving "one weekend a month" prior to the invasion, they are as you see them?

I only recollect the captain wearing a ponytail and he's an unusual one. I started to like him because of that, whereas I felt the same way as you about his character before I spent 2 seasons with him.

I think many of the other people in their resistance units were drafted from amongst the survivors. Any with actual military training had once been discharged but they have the skills.

Just like you're a civilian now, Nate. If you wanted to have blue hair and multiple piercings, you could. Then the aliens invade and you're amongst the survivors that include some military personnel. You'd help them, no doubt. Maybe you needed clean clothes after the water was shut off? You got what they could issue.

You're there to help, so no one's going to tell you that you can't have nose and eyebrow rings with blue hair. You're helping (professionally too) right?

And you wouldn't lose your rank either? If you were discharged a SGT FC, than I doubt they'd promote an active duty private over you in any event, once you came back. So the private could be shaved down and in clean boots, but you keep the rank along with the ponytail, blue hair, whatever.

You're not in the United States military now. This is the remnant. You're fighting to re-establish the United States but it doesn't currently exist. It's "the Skitters' World" right now (although we found out the Skitters were slaves as well).

Can't wait for season 3 to start!

I thought of that, but then if I was in that situation, then I wouldn't even bother to button up the uniform or wear the hat, because it just looks silly if your hair or facial hair is out of regulation. If I was going to take the time to wear the uniform properly, then I would be sure to cut my hair and shave as well.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the haircut and the shave are just as much a part of the uniform as the ACUs and the boots.

Tycho
06-08-2013, 12:02 AM
It might be making the statement that "I've got clean clothes and a gun and I've returned to the US military in order to fight for my freedom to have a ponytail, blue hair, etc. and not be exterminated by the aliens."

Plus I assume you might have to join up and fight before you had time to get a haircut (what if you're NOW a punk rock star and the aliens invaded while you were sleeping?). So then you fight. You run. You fight again.

Once you reach a place of sanctuary where you can set up a defense, what point is there to getting the haircut then?

I suppose in time you may wish to though. I guess the captain hasn't (for 2 seasons anyway).

But he wasn't active duty when he had to take up the gun. He just had already earned the rank when he was younger.

It makes for an interesting tangent, don't you agree?

We can see "space marines" in Aliens. In Independence Day, the active duty military was still strong and won the battle.

In Falling Skies, they lost a battle - and even before the fictional timeline of the show ever began.

bigbarada
06-11-2013, 01:11 AM
I enjoyed the season 3 premiere a lot. It's funny because I discovered Falling Skies around the same time that I discovered Defiance and, even though I've seen almost every episode of Defiance and only a few episodes of Falling Skies, I never seem to have any trouble following the story in Skies. Defiance is just a total mess story-wise and I always feel like I'm missing some key information that would allow me to actually care about what I'm watching. Falling Skies is written in such a way that it's still easy to follow the story even if you've missed the entire first season and most of the second season.

OC47151
06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm also enjoying. Going to be some interesting plot twists this season. It shows that there can be quality sci-fi on TV.

This is a show that's not afraid to kill people off, too.

bigbarada
06-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Last week's episode was turning into a "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" moment, but I'm glad stuff started blowing up before they could get too far along with that. :)

OC47151
07-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Renewed for a fourth season!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27649/-falling-skies-renewed-for-a-fourth-season

Tycho
07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Cool! I like how this show's going and the characters in it.

Tom and Pope are very good as leads.

OC47151
07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I was kinda hoping Weaver would've shot up the bar when he saw what Pope was doing.

Any guesses who the mole might be? It's definitely not Hal. Too obvious. I'm willing to be money on Gloria Reubens. She has an odd aura to her.

bigbarada
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I thought it was a good episode. However, for the sake of everybody else in Charleston, they needed to have a jury trial for Hal to determine if he should or should not be punished for his actions. As it played out, the "it wasn't really you, so you're not responsible" thing just felt too convenient. I am glad that Tom resigned as President, though, after the way the situation with Hal was resolved, there is no way he could have realistically stayed in office and still retained any credibility whatsoever.

OC47151
07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Tom's days as warrior-president were numbered. It wasn't a good blend. Do one or the other, but not both. I think he excels as a soldier.

Tycho
07-10-2013, 03:39 AM
I loved the episode too. Pope Was right about just claiming it was the aliens. Did that thing they extracted from him to have proof? it looks like dust.

Tycho
07-10-2013, 03:51 AM
I've been so mad at Maggie, too. What an idiot.

I don't trust the Bolle superweapon either. They make good sunglasses though.

Pope remind me of Quark on Deep Space nine. Only much tougher. Syfy

w riters move around in the same circles

One of Tom's kids should die. Probably the youngest one. It would keep the show being tragic. On walking dead they kill characters.

The bubble headed Bolles are fake looking.

Too much last star fighter. I like the skitters.

More rebel skitters should be shown dying in mass to make it more tragic
Brent Spiner Should show up in the show.

bigbarada
07-15-2013, 12:50 AM
I think the new aliens are called the Volm, not Bolle.

Anyways, overall a pretty good episode and I was really surprised by who the mole turned out to be.

OC47151
07-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Me, too. I actually thought there was something in the IV bag.

bigbarada
07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I wonder if that's why Anne took off with the baby. Did she know the identity of the mole?

OC47151
07-15-2013, 05:25 PM
I wonder if that's why Anne took off with the baby. Did she know the identity of the mole?

I was wondering if it were of a combination knowing something was up with you-know-who and job/family stress and post-partum depression that's led to Anne's behavior and disappearance.

I did a little research. Moon Goodblood gave birth to a daughter in mid-December, so that's partially to explain her absence this season.

OC47151
07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Gonna go out on a limb and say this week's ep was the best of the season so far, maybe the entire series. Glad to see a little of the pre-invasion life, even though it was imaginary. And Tom's wife was a hotty.

Tycho
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
That was an excellent episode! Both the past 2 weeks. I liked seeing the Mason Family in action versus the farmers, too. Their daughter was a hottie. I wonder if she'll be back for a love interest for one of the Mason boys? [Matt's too young]

Meanwhile, I did not see Lourdes coming. That was interesting. I think we can post the spoiler now. It's been almost 3 weeks.

And I too thought there was something in the IV bag. That was too creepy - that scene with the President. You knew something was wrong right then. They weren't too subtle about it with the Voll weapon though. Nice.

Pope and the Colonel have some strange inter-dependent chemistry. It's distressing because there's a lot of hinting of betrayal forthcoming - especially knowing Pope - but I like where that's been going.

Pope's still my favorite character - to watch by the way - I don't like him for what he stands for - or lacks standing up for. But that's why I like having his type on the show. Pope's a jerk but it makes the show real - the way he behaves.

So what has been alluded to? Did his gang all rape Maggie when they first survived? Hal already got infected by the aliens. Are we just waiting to learn if he caught Pope's STDs? ;)

Maggie (the actress is wonderful - I'm talking about the character) has really irked me. Oh yeah - Hal's so innocent when he's possessed by aliens and she's constantly in denial and forsaking her duty to protect him. Really? He could have caused a lot of damage.

The N.U.S. President, the Colonel, Tom Mason - just a handful of people keep civilization from devolving into chaos - what Pope becoming a leader would represent in fact. Hal could have caused serious damage. But Maggie didn't think.

By the way: Cochise and the Voll? I don't trust them. Pope is right there. Cochise even said he was bred from a warrior species. To put this in Star Trek terms: that's like the Klingons take over earth and the Romulans arrive promising to help us defeat them. Yeah? At what price?

To put that in Star Wars terms: the battle droids occupy your planet. Then Palpatine said - we'll send ENOUGH Clone Troopers to get rid of them for you and stay on as "protection." And by the way: You're protected by THE EMPIRE now. Have a nice day.

The Voll? No. I don't think so. The Colonel was even saying he'd like this to be a HUMAN-RAN war to free their planet and naturally Pope would agree with him. I think we're at a part of the story where we're waiting for Tom Mason to just wake up.

Falling Skies is not going to end with the establishment of The Federation of Planets. Pope might be wrong about so many things, but he's right about this: any aliens are not to be trusted!

OC47151
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
By the way: Cochise and the Voll? I don't trust them. Pope is right there. Cochise even said he was bred from a warrior species. To put this in Star Trek terms: that's like the Klingons take over earth and the Romulans arrive promising to help us defeat them. Yeah? At what price?

To put that in Star Wars terms: the battle droids occupy your planet. Then Palpatine said - we'll send ENOUGH Clone Troopers to get rid of them for you and stay on as "protection." And by the way: You're protected by THE EMPIRE now. Have a nice day.

The Voll? No. I don't think so. The Colonel was even saying he'd like this to be a HUMAN-RAN war to free their planet and naturally Pope would agree with him. I think we're at a part of the story where we're waiting for Tom Mason to just wake up.

Falling Skies is not going to end with the establishment of The Federation of Planets. Pope might be wrong about so many things, but he's right about this: any aliens are not to be trusted!

I hadn't given your theory on the Voll just thought until you put it in writing, Tycho. And I think you're right on target for next week's ep. The Voll have their own agenda, and need the humans at this point. I thought of the old phrase, keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

Call me a optimistic, but I'm holding out a little hope that Anne and Alexis are in carbon freeze and not dead. The writers are on the verge of turning Tom into Job. Not yet, but one or two crises away.

OC47151
08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Now we have to wait until next summer. Overall, I thought it was a solid season and set up for some good storyline possibilities for next season. Looks like the fighters are going back to their roots. But we haven't seen the last of the two alien races by no means.