PDA

View Full Version : My talk with Derryl at Celebration VI

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2012, 11:06 PM
You may end up wanting to merge this with the questions thread, but I wanted people to see this as well.

Anyway, we got to do a dedicated 10-minute interview, the transcript of which will be up sometime soon. Since that only covered nine of our questions - albeit the most important ones - I went back to the booth later and spoke with Derryl, who was very generous with his time and his answers. I didn't record or transcribe on this part, but the answers are mostly straightforward.

*Jeff mentioned at SDCC that the MTT's performance will dictate whether future big vehicles get made, and I asked Derryl about that, given its seemingly limited appeal. They were showing it loose to people as they came to the booth, and Derryl said they were still trying to "sell" it here and they hope that fans get it, but unless it's a complete disaster, it's not the end of the big vehicles. It's sometimes possible to sneak figures or small items into the line but Hasbro the company keeps a close watch on the big vehicles. There are still a few he wants to get to, but seemed tired of hearing about the Sail Barge so much. (He spoke on this a bit in the Curto-Burns podcast released yesterday, saying that it's a miracle that this is even getting a release given TPM's performance.)

*The figures not ringing up at Walmarts is an issue Derryl has seen a few times himself, but as we thought, it's a Walmart issue with just not getting them in the system before they get to the pegs. Hasbro doesn't get paid for those figures, so it's problematic for them as well. (I didn't ask about people using other figures to scan instead or whether this inflated old figures' sales numbers - they seem pretty clear on what's selling and what's not.)

*Star Wars hasn't seen any Dollar General exclusives a la the other Hasbro lines because Lucasfilm doesn't want them to go that route.

*There are no plans to release an AOTC Anakin with his unique robe, though a few people had asked and Derryl said it would be a good version to release at some point.

*The goal is to release Coleman Kcaj though there are no plans right now. Derryl thought for a minute when I mentioned he was the last Jedi Council member left, but we both said we wanted a new Depa Billaba that could sit in the chair, and I mentioned maybe a new Eeth Koth who doesn't look so angry.

*Derryl wrote notes on a few things, but really seemed to think that the KOTOR re-release pack (Revan, Malak, Bastila, HK-47) was a very good idea. He asked if I, as a fan, would be bothered by them re-releasing a build-a-droid since I previously bought multiple figures
to make HK-47, possibly going through difficulty to do so, and I said no since there is still a lot of demand for that figure and BG-J38, and that the precedent is actually there with the silver Death Star Droid being re-released in the Target pack. Based on his reaction, he was very receptive to it.

*I asked about additional articulation on a Clone Wars Battle Droid. He wasn't sure if the upcoming one had the wrist articulation, and it wasn't out on display. I mentioned how tooling already exists for articulated knees but this one didn't really get that great of a response.

*Lucasfilm was indeed behind the change to Kithaba. Derryl would prefer to not see variations like this at all but sometimes Lucasfilm puts in additional notes later in the process. I asked why they didn't then change deleted scene Luke's inaccurate robe, and he didn't know; he said that was the first he had heard that Luke's robe was wrong, which I'm not sure about.

*Hoth Luke won't be getting a scarf-down alternate head anytime soon.

*He was disappointed that Tarkin was so green and wasn't sure why the design team made that choice, but it seemed like a conscious decision since the fabric and the paint had to be sourced separately. There aren't plans for a gray one. He wrote it down to ask the design team.

*He also wrote down about the ROTS clone helmets looking big and awkward on the skinny new clone body, as he didn't have an answer. Same on removable helmet Vader getting the accurate damaged hand from Emperor's Wrath Vader.

*We won't be seeing more expressive Jar Jar faces anytime soon and probably not ever.

*I asked about R5-D4's red panels on his back and Derryl thought I was getting too specific - which is typically pretty much everyone else's reaction as well. :P They'd rather focus on other droids instead.

*More figures haven't had the wires in their capes purely due to cost, though Derryl really likes them.

*The plastic clasp with fabric cloaks hasn't been done more due to different designers going in and out and using different methods, but it's something they can look at for the future.

*The Neimoidian Shuttle will absolutely not be released.

There were a few points that weren't tied to questions per se:

*We both still see new unmade characters and vehicles when we watch the films. I mentioned the Battle Droid carrier from TPM and he wasn't aware of it - I didn't have the exact name but I told him where it was in the film. He said there were some bigger items from TPM planned for this year that were cut since they couldn't get them done in time - I probably shouldn't mention them specifically as it seemed off the record. (Separately, he mentioned on the podcast that Kitster/Wald and the Gella twins had gotten pretty far along before being cancelled for now.)

* Daultay Dofine has been such a terrible seller - as with all Neimoidians - that Tey How seems unlikely, even though Derryl personally really wants to see her.

*A passerby asked why Savage didn't have his lightsaber in the Target set, and Derryl directed him off to Brian Merten. I know this was a question they didn't follow up on from SDCC, but it seems like nothing has changed, even if I don't know why.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, and as I mentioned, the bigger questions are coming soon. I really had a great time talking with Derryl, and if anyone wants me to ask clarifying questions or anything, feel free to post them.

Battle Droid
08-24-2012, 11:32 PM
*The Neimoidian Shuttle will absolutely not be released.

* Daultay Dofine has been such a terrible seller - as with all Neimoidians - that Tey How seems unlikely, even though Derryl personally really wants to see her.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for asking the questions! :)

El Chuxter
08-24-2012, 11:42 PM
*We won't be seeing more expressive Jar Jar faces anytime soon and probably not ever.

This makes me sad. I know he's not the most popular character, but he is onscreen for about 110% of Episode I, so a truly worthy figure for him should see production.

I'd rather see an all-Binks wave instead of another Clonetrooper, ever.

JediTricks
08-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Great work, John. I've finished transcribing the audio and posted it under your byline in the news:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1097-SSG-s-Celebration-VI-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Interview-SSG-s-Celebration-VI-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Interview

at the end of that article I linked to this forums post.

*Derryl wrote notes on a few things, but really seemed to think that the KOTOR re-release pack (Revan, Malak, Bastila, HK-47) was a very good idea. He asked if I, as a fan, would be bothered by them re-releasing a build-a-droid since I previously bought multiple figures
to make HK-47, possibly going through difficulty to do so, and I said no since there is still a lot of demand for that figure and BG-J38, and that the precedent is actually there with the silver Death Star Droid being re-released in the Target pack. Based on his reaction, he was very receptive to it.YES! I knew this was the right question for the right man, and great job with that answer, it's how I feel as well and I'd hope it's how most collectors feel - we want our figures, no matter how they were released in the past!

*Star Wars hasn't seen any Dollar General exclusives a la the other Hasbro lines because Lucasfilm doesn't want them to go that route.D'oh! Of course!

There are still a few he wants to get to, but seemed tired of hearing about the Sail Barge so much. (He spoke on this a bit in the Curto-Burns podcast released yesterday, saying that it's a miracle that this is even getting a release given TPM's performance.)Ouuuuuch! (said ET style) That one has been on my official SSG year in review list for 13 years now. Honestly, that MTT seems so out of left field and there was no demand, the Sail Barge is out of right field I suppose, but there's significant demand.

*I asked about additional articulation on a Clone Wars Battle Droid. He wasn't sure if the upcoming one had the wrist articulation, and it wasn't out on display. I mentioned how tooling already exists for articulated knees but this one didn't really get that great of a response.I think something got lost there, the question was about rotation joint just below the elbow which is existing tooling, not the knees.

*Lucasfilm was indeed behind the change to Kithaba. Derryl would prefer to not see variations like this at all but sometimes Lucasfilm puts in additional notes later in the process. I asked why they didn't then change deleted scene Luke's inaccurate robe, and he didn't know; he said that was the first he had heard that Luke's robe was wrong, which I'm not sure about.AAAAAH! FIRST HE HAD HEARD OF IT!!! I could tear my hair out over that, this is why Q&A was so effective. Can't we just have "nark to Derryl" once a month? ;)

*Hoth Luke won't be getting a scarf-down alternate head anytime soon.I am going to go sob in the corner and rock myself in self-soothing manner. WHY NOT???

*He was disappointed that Tarkin was so green and wasn't sure why the design team made that choice, but it seemed like a conscious decision since the fabric and the paint had to be sourced separately. There aren't plans for a gray one. He wrote it down to ask the design team.Derryl is awesome.

*We won't be seeing more expressive Jar Jar faces anytime soon and probably not ever.Wow, Derryl rarely says that sort of thing, there must have been a lot of Jar Jar buy-backs in 2000/2001.

*I asked about R5-D4's red panels on his back and Derryl thought I was getting too specific - which is typically pretty much everyone else's reaction as well. :P They'd rather focus on other droids instead.The key is to always blame the readers. :p

*The Neimoidian Shuttle will absolutely not be released.Money well spent.

*We both still see new unmade characters and vehicles when we watch the films. I mentioned the Battle Droid carrier from TPM and he wasn't aware of it - I didn't have the exact name but I told him where it was in the film.It's the "Platoon Attack Craft (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Platoon_Attack_Craft)". I blame Leland Che for not getting the name locked down better, but really it's just that nobody was paying attention to that background stuff back then.

He said there were some bigger items from TPM planned for this year that were cut since they couldn't get them done in time - I probably shouldn't mention them specifically as it seemed off the record.Tantalizing. Tell me everything in PM. :p

* Daultay Dofine has been such a terrible seller - as with all Neimoidians - that Tey How seems unlikely, even though Derryl personally really wants to see her.Wow, who would have thought? Oh, right, virtually everybody ever except a few very specific die-hards. They are now silenced. Tey How was on my want lists for a while too.

*A passerby asked why Savage didn't have his lightsaber in the Target set, and Derryl directed him off to Brian Merten. I know this was a question they didn't follow up on from SDCC, but it seems like nothing has changed, even if I don't know why.D'oh! I sent in our questions and follow ups and requests for official titles for the interviewees and never heard anything back.

Battle Droid
08-25-2012, 01:53 AM
*We both still see new unmade characters and vehicles when we watch the films. I mentioned the Battle Droid carrier from TPM and he wasn't aware of it - I didn't have the exact name but I told him where it was in the film.

It also appears in ROTS on Kashyyyk.

Umbra
08-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I want to thank you for asking the KotOR repack question, and I'm very happy with the response. I've never got my hands on Revan, Malik or Bastilla, so a pack like this would thrill me. I had to resort to eBay to get HK-47 pieces I didn't get with figures, but I certainly wouldn't be bitter about a repack.

sebillba
08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Great write-up! Thanks for all your hard work on this. And thanks in particular for pushing them on the Utai question... I was a bit miffed at first that they seemed to just ignore the Utai part and ran with the Scanning Crew, so I really appreciated that you didn't let it drop. Their eventual answer sounded quite promising to me, and it's good to know others have been asking them for it, so they know the interest is there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

JT, on the Battle Droid, I just might not have been clear enough with him, but he didn't know about the articulation of the current one, but since there at least IS one coming out - which really does look to have the Firefighter Droid arms - I didn't push that one too much. I also brought up the arm articulation on the Vintage one, which might have confused matters.

One interesting thing I forgot to add - I asked about Chukha-Trok, since I know he was planned for a multi-pack but hasn't been out yet. Derryl said that Lucasfilm put the kibosh on that since Chukha-Trok was 200 years before the movies. I asked if he meant the live action movies with Cindel, and then remembered that Wicket and other ROTJ Ewoks were in those movies and I didn't think they were 200 years old. He said he'd have to check, then. So I wonder now if Chukha-Trok was removed from those sets just because Lucasfilm wanted ROTJ Ewoks, and Chukha-Trok dies a few years before then. I assume the "200 years" was a misunderstanding somewhere between LFL and Hasbro. Hopefully it gets resolved but there doesn't seem to be much of a rush.

El Chuxter
08-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I've told you, Chukha-Trok didn't die. He faked his death because he was sick of Cindel and Mace and wanted some peace and quiet.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2012, 12:23 AM
* Daultay Dofine has been such a terrible seller - as with all Neimoidians - that Tey How seems unlikely, even though Derryl personally really wants to see her.Wow, who would have thought? Oh, right, virtually everybody ever except a few very specific die-hards. They are now silenced. Tey How was on my want lists for a while too.I haven't seen too many of Dofine. Certainly not as many as the previous few Neimoidians. I did see a couple today at a Target in a different town. It certainly hasn't been the big peg warmer of the year like the others.

*We won't be seeing more expressive Jar Jar faces anytime soon and probably not ever.Wow, Derryl rarely says that sort of thing, there must have been a lot of Jar Jar buy-backs in 2000/2001.I thought the Swimming Jar Jar and the long tongue Jar Jar were pretty rare ones. I had to order the swimming one a couple years later from Brian's Toys, and the other one I found at K-Mart, which is a place I usually don't go to as often unless I am not finding anything in the usual spots. The regular Jar Jar might have been hanging around quite a bit, though.

Tycho
08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Great write-up JabbaJohnL!

I think the most possible and toyetic large TPM ship left is the Radiant VII (Republic Cruiser that Qui-Gon arrives in the Trade Federation Ship on).

This ship (Blockade Runner reminiscient) is also seen a lot in Clowe Wars (with added cannons to defend it - as TPM version in the film was likely unarmed).

Made with removeable weapon installations that can make the ship film accurate or CW / Kid friendly, the out-of-scale version could be fun as a large (Class 3 BMF) vehicle - provided it's not TOO small - at least Royal Starship sized.

The return of the Royal Starship seems like a cheaper, more likely way to go. They can retool it a little and make their cost cheaper by removing some of the extras and cool electronics.

The ship hasn't seen a release in a decade and was TPM's first large vehicle:

Large Vehicles:

ANH: Falcon, BMF, X-Wing, TIE Fighter
ESB: AT-AT, BAT-AT, Slave-One, AT-ST
ROTJ: Imperial Shuttle
TPM: Royal Starship, BN-1, MTT
AOTC: Republic Gunship, AT-TE
ROTS: ARC-170, TurboTank

Of course, I'd prefere the Radiant VII Republic Cruiser with removeable CW weapons. I bought 2 Royal Starships ten years ago and am not in the market for any. But for kids and nOOb's, the Royal Starship interacts with more of the main characters.

To market the Radiant VII, the box must feature Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the larger Class-2 Droid Fighters, Battle Droids, Destroyer Droids, and Daultay Dofine, Nute Gunray, and Ruune Haako - and maybe include an exclusive Tey How, or better, the Radiant VII captain and pilot (Silas Carson).

Darth Duranium
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Many thanks to Mr. JabbaJohnL for getting the Titanium Series questions fleshed out for us. It's greatly appreciated. :cool:

I thought that the exchange re: the cancelled Shadow Squad set was er, curious:

Hasbro (DD): [to Brian] Did you do that set?

Hasbro (BM): I only wish that I did! (laughs)

Hasbro (DD): [to us] No, that's not... I don't know what that is. But there's no new Titanium packs planned for next year.

Actually, that set was slated for release this autumn, according to Walmart's site (now "canceled"). I can't see Walmart creating such a totally detailed listing out of thin air, it was definitely Hasbro copy. Weird reaction, maybe a specific mention of the TIE Crawler might have twigged a more coherent response, but it's hard to say. In any case, we now know it never got produced, cheers for that.

And thanks to JT and Steve for your support for Titanium through the years.

JediTricks
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I want to thank you for asking the KotOR repack question, and I'm very happy with the response. I've never got my hands on Revan, Malik or Bastilla, so a pack like this would thrill me. I had to resort to eBay to get HK-47 pieces I didn't get with figures, but I certainly wouldn't be bitter about a repack.Right on! I have Malak and Bastila, but I think I'm still 1 piece away on HK-47 and never found Revan. I think it's certainly been long enough that those who might be bitter about having to collect to get HK-47 would be over it, they have cool figures to go with it at least.

Great write-up! Thanks for all your hard work on this. And thanks in particular for pushing them on the Utai question... I was a bit miffed at first that they seemed to just ignore the Utai part and ran with the Scanning Crew, so I really appreciated that you didn't let it drop. Their eventual answer sounded quite promising to me, and it's good to know others have been asking them for it, so they know the interest is there.I think they were excited to hint at the fact that they're doing the 2nd Scanning Trooper, while the Utai remains unused, that's all.

I haven't seen too many of Dofine. Certainly not as many as the previous few Neimoidians. I did see a couple today at a Target in a different town. It certainly hasn't been the big peg warmer of the year like the others.

I thought the Swimming Jar Jar and the long tongue Jar Jar were pretty rare ones. I had to order the swimming one a couple years later from Brian's Toys, and the other one I found at K-Mart, which is a place I usually don't go to as often unless I am not finding anything in the usual spots. The regular Jar Jar might have been hanging around quite a bit, though.Dofine isn't rare here, although it's not as common as Qui-Gon and the other saber-weilders and army-builders in the wave who are all clogged up.

Swimming Jar Jar was super rare, I had to get a Japanese package version for mine. POTJ Jar Jar wasn't as hard to find, but POTJ was suffering from retailer shock after Ep 1 tanked so hard.

Great write-up JabbaJohnL!

I think the most possible and toyetic large TPM ship left is the Radiant VII (Republic Cruiser that Qui-Gon arrives in the Trade Federation Ship on).

This ship (Blockade Runner reminiscient) is also seen a lot in Clowe Wars (with added cannons to defend it - as TPM version in the film was likely unarmed).Radiant VII is a diplomatic vessel and would not be armed, that's the intention of its red color. The one with the guns is the Charger-class. I really don't think it's interesting enough to warrant a vehicle, and is way too narrow to be toyetic, it's basically just engines and a very narrow midsection.

The return of the Royal Starship seems like a cheaper, more likely way to go. They can retool it a little and make their cost cheaper by removing some of the extras and cool electronics.

The ship hasn't seen a release in a decade and was TPM's first large vehicleBut virtually nobody cares, the prequels don't endure the way the OT has, the flop of the 2012 TPM products should prove that.

Many thanks to Mr. JabbaJohnL for getting the Titanium Series questions fleshed out for us. It's greatly appreciated. :cool:

I thought that the exchange re: the cancelled Shadow Squad set was er, curious:

Hasbro (DD): [to Brian] Did you do that set?

Hasbro (BM): I only wish that I did! (laughs)

Hasbro (DD): [to us] No, that's not... I don't know what that is. But there's no new Titanium packs planned for next year.

Actually, that set was slated for release this autumn, according to Walmart's site (now "canceled"). I can't see Walmart creating such a totally detailed listing out of thin air, it was definitely Hasbro copy. Weird reaction, maybe a specific mention of the TIE Crawler might have twigged a more coherent response, but it's hard to say. In any case, we now know it never got produced, cheers for that.

And thanks to JT and Steve for your support for Titanium through the years.I heard the audio to this, I know both Derryl and Brian pretty well, Derryl is the global brand manager while Brian is the head of exclusives for Hasbro, not just SW, all of Hasbro, and is hands-on with every SW exclusive. The way they said those quotes above was very genuine and surprised, if Derryl didn't know about the piece and Brian didn't know about the piece, it never existed. Brian especially because he'd have to create it from the brand exclusive budget, he'd have to get approval on the concept from Lucasfilm, then he'd have to magically figure out a way to drum up those funds to even start design much less tooling up dies for the new vehicles. WM has been known to list stuff that never comes out, they're notorious for it going back at least to the early '90s with the Star Trek the Next Generation line from Playmates, listing figures that never were planned or tooled up on shelf tags in the stores. Maybe a WM retailer had a conversation with Jeff or someone else at Hasbro who mentioned something in passing and it got confused, or maybe it never left the planning phase, whatever it might have been, I am going to take Hasbro's word on this over WMs who has a pretty shaky track record in the matter.

bigbarada
08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
But virtually nobody cares, the prequels don't endure the way the OT has, the flop of the 2012 TPM products should prove that.

Isn't the retail failure of the Queen's Royal Starship partially to blame for us not getting another all-new large vehicle release until 2008?

I remember buying the ship on clearance for $25 in 2001 and still being a bit disappointed by how cheap the silver-colored plastic finish looked.

I would be willing to bet that we will never see a large-sized Naboo starship in the Star Wars line ever again.

SirSteve
08-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to publicly thank JT and John as they did a great job with the questions!

Darth Duranium
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I heard the audio to this, I know both Derryl and Brian pretty well, Derryl is the global brand manager while Brian is the head of exclusives for Hasbro, not just SW, all of Hasbro, and is hands-on with every SW exclusive. The way they said those quotes above was very genuine and surprised, if Derryl didn't know about the piece and Brian didn't know about the piece, it never existed. Brian especially because he'd have to create it from the brand exclusive budget, he'd have to get approval on the concept from Lucasfilm, then he'd have to magically figure out a way to drum up those funds to even start design much less tooling up dies for the new vehicles. WM has been known to list stuff that never comes out, they're notorious for it going back at least to the early '90s with the Star Trek the Next Generation line from Playmates, listing figures that never were planned or tooled up on shelf tags in the stores. Maybe a WM retailer had a conversation with Jeff or someone else at Hasbro who mentioned something in passing and it got confused, or maybe it never left the planning phase, whatever it might have been, I am going to take Hasbro's word on this over WMs who has a pretty shaky track record in the matter.

Well JT, here's the (now cancelled) Walmart catalogue listing: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Titanium-Series-Die-Cast-Vehicle-3-Pack-Shadow-Squad/19529505 Seems quite detailed and legit to me, but I'll take your word about Walmart's earlier track record in these matters. That's dirty pool.
The other thing is that Hasbro promised a "new tooling for the Fall" in a "special 3-pack" in the SSG Q&A's last winter. I have a hunch that a mention of a TIE Crawler might have gotten us a less bewildered answer, and it's possible the marketing guys didn't tell Derryl et al about the "Shadow Squad" moniker. Is there any chance that you can follow up with this at some point?

Tycho
08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I wonder what "they're sick of hearing about the sailbarge (question) means?"

Literally, it means just what they said.

Taking that deeper? It could mean:

a) they're never going to do it :(

b) they've tooled it up and are hiding it for another convention's reveal (NYCC? ToyFair? SDCC 2013)?

c) they're making it but it's still at some stage that hasn't yet gotten Lucasfilm approval (in which case they'd conceal it)?

d) they have NOT ruled it out, but the current market won't support it, so it's not happening yet.

I think that fortunately the answer is NOT "a." If they were never going to make it, I think they'd say so.

Do I think we should stop asking for it? No. But we should temper our being annoying to them about it. You don't want them to perceive any withering levels of fan support - like it wouldn't sell if they got it out in the next few years. But you don't want to make them angry with us.

Regarding the latter, IF they got angry with us, it doesn't mean they won't make it to spite us. If it will sell, they'll make it. But that means if the sailbarge comes out, we all have to buy it!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Tycho, Derryl didn't say that specifically - but he hung his head whenever it got mentioned, and on the Curto Burns Collector Cast he mentioned that he was sure it would be the number one question at CVI because of the Tatooine diorama that included a figure-scale Sail Barge. The answer is D, as it has been for a few years now.

JediTricks
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Isn't the retail failure of the Queen's Royal Starship partially to blame for us not getting another all-new large vehicle release until 2008?

I remember buying the ship on clearance for $25 in 2001 and still being a bit disappointed by how cheap the silver-colored plastic finish looked.

I would be willing to bet that we will never see a large-sized Naboo starship in the Star Wars line ever again.I bought it full price of its original $100 pricetag, gave it a thorough review. The $50 price drop versions had problems that the $100 didn't. The plastic color was pretty mediocre, it was "gray", and I do wonder if vac-metalizing that would have helped sales, but I suspect it wasn't exciting enough of a ship to begin with.

I would think that indirectly the Royal Starship did hamper new molds, but partly the brand just took a long time to recover from the disastrous sales on TPM in general, and the market at that time as well wasn't doing big things.

I just wanted to publicly thank JT and John as they did a great job with the questions!Thank you, and I also want to thank JabbaJohn for stepping up and doing such a great job helping out with our interview!

Well JT, here's the (now cancelled) Walmart catalogue listing: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Titanium-Series-Die-Cast-Vehicle-3-Pack-Shadow-Squad/19529505 Seems quite detailed and legit to me, but I'll take your word about Walmart's earlier track record in these matters. That's dirty pool.
The other thing is that Hasbro promised a "new tooling for the Fall" in a "special 3-pack" in the SSG Q&A's last winter. I have a hunch that a mention of a TIE Crawler might have gotten us a less bewildered answer, and it's possible the marketing guys didn't tell Derryl et al about the "Shadow Squad" moniker. Is there any chance that you can follow up with this at some point?Brian and Derryl are marketing people in charge of those sorts of things, but those are very specific names. I find it difficult to believe that Hasbro would actually pursue 2 new toolings for 1 set, but it's possible I guess. WM does run for goals even when they don't have the football and aren't even on the right field, but that is a pretty specific listing, I'd guess that maybe they had a conversation with someone at Lucaslicensing or maybe a lower-down at Hasbro SW that didn't get turned into anything but they didn't remove the listing. Very strange. I will certainly try to get the lowdown on it.

I wonder what "they're sick of hearing about the sailbarge (question) means?"

Literally, it means just what they said.

Taking that deeper? It could mean:

a) they're never going to do it :(

b) they've tooled it up and are hiding it for another convention's reveal (NYCC? ToyFair? SDCC 2013)?

c) they're making it but it's still at some stage that hasn't yet gotten Lucasfilm approval (in which case they'd conceal it)?

d) they have NOT ruled it out, but the current market won't support it, so it's not happening yet.How about Derryl knows we want the piece and is now tired of hearing about it over and over? That's my guess. The answer closest to right in your list is D until we hear otherwise. I don't know why anybody would want to get so excited over rampant speculation and then disappointed when their speculation doesn't come to fruition.

Darth Duranium
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Brian and Derryl are marketing people in charge of those sorts of things, but those are very specific names. I find it difficult to believe that Hasbro would actually pursue 2 new toolings for 1 set, but it's possible I guess. WM does run for goals even when they don't have the football and aren't even on the right field, but that is a pretty specific listing, I'd guess that maybe they had a conversation with someone at Lucaslicensing or maybe a lower-down at Hasbro SW that didn't get turned into anything but they didn't remove the listing. Very strange. I will certainly try to get the lowdown on it.

Yep, 'tis strange indeed. Actually, only the TIE Crawler is a new Titanium tooling; the other 2 (TIE and TIE Defender) are repacks or possibly "Shadow Squad" repaints, whatever the hell that is. I'd agree that it's unlikely that Hasbro would offer 2 new toolings when they can trot out a repack instead.

I'd love to find out if the set was produced, and if there's any chance we'll see it wash ashore at HTS or dollar stores. And thanks for following up for us, Titanium Guy. ;)

Hehe, your Walmart's-got-the-football analogy made me think of the Gotham Rogues being swallowed up by the imploding field in TDKR.:eagerness:

JEDIpartner
08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Awesome reporting there, man!!

Umbra
08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
The other thing is that Hasbro promised a "new tooling for the Fall" in a "special 3-pack" in the SSG Q&A's last winter. I have a hunch that a mention of a TIE Crawler might have gotten us a less bewildered answer, and it's possible the marketing guys didn't tell Derryl et al about the "Shadow Squad" moniker. Is there any chance that you can follow up with this at some point?

I'm missing out on a TIE Defender again? :confusion:

JediTricks
08-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Yep, 'tis strange indeed. Actually, only the TIE Crawler is a new Titanium tooling; the other 2 (TIE and TIE Defender) are repacks or possibly "Shadow Squad" repaints, whatever the hell that is. I'd agree that it's unlikely that Hasbro would offer 2 new toolings when they can trot out a repack instead.

I'd love to find out if the set was produced, and if there's any chance we'll see it wash ashore at HTS or dollar stores. And thanks for following up for us, Titanium Guy. ;)

Hehe, your Walmart's-got-the-football analogy made me think of the Gotham Rogues being swallowed up by the imploding field in TDKR.:eagerness:Oh yeah, I forgot the TIE Defender came out with its permanent stand. Hopefully by Toy Fair we'll have gotten the chance to ask about this in more detail, now I'm quite curious.

There's no way it was produced though, Brian Merten would have to know that much about it as it's his budget, his signature that authorizes it, and he is the one who would have to take it to Lucaslicensing for approval or at least take it to Derryl for him to do that.

If Bane could destroy the stadium with such precision, why didn't he just destroy key parts of the city? Oh, right, because he's the world's smartest moron. :p

I'm missing out on a TIE Defender again? :confusion:That's sad, especially with such a final-sounding message about Titaniums in Derryl's comments.

Darth Duranium
08-29-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm missing out on a TIE Defender again? :confusion:

I'd better not mention the DeAgostini one that came out last year then. Actually, the Titanium's not too hard to find as it was released a few times.

Oh yeah, I forgot the TIE Defender came out with its permanent stand. Hopefully by Toy Fair we'll have gotten the chance to ask about this in more detail, now I'm quite curious.

There's no way it was produced though, Brian Merten would have to know that much about it as it's his budget, his signature that authorizes it, and he is the one who would have to take it to Lucaslicensing for approval or at least take it to Derryl for him to do that.

Cheers, JT. Yeah, I thought that total bewilderment was not a good sign! But hopefully, it's just a case of sorting the names out. I agree that it was likely not produced under any name, though. No Chinese test shots turned up on eBay, either.
The good news is that we weren't left high and dry: F-Toys and DeAgostini both did nice versions of the TIE Crawler recently.

If Bane could destroy the stadium with such precision, why didn't he just destroy key parts of the city? Oh, right, because he's the world's smartest moron. :p

Maybe Bane just hated football. Or those horrible SNL cheerleader skits. :) Actually, I kinda liked his Goldfinger voice and expected a "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!!!". Come to think of it, neither guy had much of a viable plan for world domination.

JediTricks
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I'd better not mention the DeAgostini one that came out last year then. Actually, the Titanium's not too hard to find as it was released a few times.I still haven't seen that line in stores around here or at Comic-Con even, so weird.

Cheers, JT. Yeah, I thought that total bewilderment was not a good sign! But hopefully, it's just a case of sorting the names out. I agree that it was likely not produced under any name, though. No Chinese test shots turned up on eBay, either.
The good news is that we weren't left high and dry: F-Toys and DeAgostini both did nice versions of the TIE Crawler recently.My only solace is that I really don't like the TIE Crawler design at all, it's entirely silly - a TIE fighter that only flies in space and gathers power from wing panels and is propelled via an ion engine that could ONLY work in space since the ion buildup would never be possible against any air resistance but this one is ground-based and has heavy tank treads on its wings? So I'm not hurting that they didn't release it, but it would have been nice to have a new TS mold again.

Maybe Bane just hated football. Or those horrible SNL cheerleader skits. :) Actually, I kinda liked his Goldfinger voice and expected a "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!!!". Come to think of it, neither guy had much of a viable plan for world domination.His voice still reminds me of Henry Kissinger, but I do see what you mean about it being a lower version of Goldfinger if he was trapped down a well. Goldfinger's plan wasn't for world domination, it was to up-value his personal supply of gold by making the material significantly rarer (by destroying the entire US supply of gold), and it wasn't a bad plan actually aside from the global economic instability that it would have caused.

Darth Duranium
08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I still haven't seen that line in stores around here or at Comic-Con even, so weird.

The TFAW store in Universal City CA had all of them in stock, I'm told.
I don't think they were authorized for N. America and were brought in grey market, so I'm not surprised they weren't at US Cons. I think the same will be true of that new Eaglemoss Trek line.

My only solace is that I really don't like the TIE Crawler design at all, it's entirely silly - a TIE fighter that only flies in space and gathers power from wing panels and is propelled via an ion engine that could ONLY work in space since the ion buildup would never be possible against any air resistance but this one is ground-based and has heavy tank treads on its wings? So I'm not hurting that they didn't release it, but it would have been nice to have a new TS mold again.

Agreed on all points, JT. But I'm a sucker for a TIE variant even if it's a bit silly, gotta say.

His voice still reminds me of Henry Kissinger, but I do see what you mean about it being a lower version of Goldfinger if he was trapped down a well. Goldfinger's plan wasn't for world domination, it was to up-value his personal supply of gold by making the material significantly rarer (by destroying the entire US supply of gold), and it wasn't a bad plan actually aside from the global economic instability that it would have caused.

Kissinger, that's funny. :)
Well, Goldfinger was a SPECTRE operative so his cat-fancier boss would've gotten around to world domination eventually. Mwa-ha-ha!
The only problem with Goldfinger's plan is that most large gold trades don't involve physically moving the gold itself, it just sits there. I was in the gold vault of a major bank once (palettes of the stuff!) and they just move markers around to show ownership. Mind you, the vault employees would need rad suits for 57 years.
I would've liked to win that solid 24k gold MM ISD from Galoob. At 6.6 oz, the gold alone is worth almost $11K... that's gotta be a record for a toy starship.

JediTricks
09-10-2012, 10:02 PM
The TFAW store in Universal City CA had all of them in stock, I'm told.
I don't think they were authorized for N. America and were brought in grey market, so I'm not surprised they weren't at US Cons. I think the same will be true of that new Eaglemoss Trek line.This area and the cons in this area generally have a lot of gray market, but I thought the SW line was being imported and distributed by Diamond.

Agreed on all points, JT. But I'm a sucker for a TIE variant even if it's a bit silly, gotta say.Even... the Ugly?;) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly

Kissinger, that's funny. :)
Well, Goldfinger was a SPECTRE operative so his cat-fancier boss would've gotten around to world domination eventually. Mwa-ha-ha!
The only problem with Goldfinger's plan is that most large gold trades don't involve physically moving the gold itself, it just sits there. I was in the gold vault of a major bank once (palettes of the stuff!) and they just move markers around to show ownership. Mind you, the vault employees would need rad suits for 57 years.
I would've liked to win that solid 24k gold MM ISD from Galoob. At 6.6 oz, the gold alone is worth almost $11K... that's gotta be a record for a toy starship.Goldfinger wasn't SPECTRE, he was working with the Chinese. You are right that if the gold wasn't evaporated in Fort Knox that it'd still be there, but it'd still be treated as unusable on the global market.

bigbarada
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Anyway, we got to do a dedicated 10-minute interview, the transcript of which will be up sometime soon.

Has this transcript been posted yet? Or is it somewhere really obvious and I completely overlooked it?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Has this transcript been posted yet? Or is it somewhere really obvious and I completely overlooked it?

It went up on the front page (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1097-SSG-s-Celebration-VI-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Interview), but it went down pretty quickly amid all the CVI coverage. (On a related note, when I click to go to older pages of news, it just refreshes the first page instead.)

El Chuxter
09-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Even... the Ugly?;) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly

I thought the Uglies were a cool idea, but the notion that there was enough homogeny among them to give them type names was ludicrous.

bigbarada
09-11-2012, 01:45 AM
It went up on the front page (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1097-SSG-s-Celebration-VI-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Interview), but it went down pretty quickly amid all the CVI coverage. (On a related note, when I click to go to older pages of news, it just refreshes the first page instead.)

Thanks!

Glad to hear about the 2nd Scanning Crew Trooper.

Darth Duranium
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
This area and the cons in this area generally have a lot of gray market, but I thought the SW line was being imported and distributed by Diamond.

Didn't know that there was so much grey market stuff at cons: I've only been to one! Yep, they were imported by Diamond but DA stated that they were only licensed for release outside of N. America. I guess Diamond fudged it.
Diamond distributed them in Canada without bilingual packaging so that's an indicator of some fudginess. Legally, almost all products must be labelled in both languages up here.

Even... the Ugly?;) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly

Yep, I even made my own Titanium TYE-Wing, actually. There are a few more uglies I'd like to do: some are cool... and not so ugly.

Goldfinger wasn't SPECTRE, he was working with the Chinese. You are right that if the gold wasn't evaporated in Fort Knox that it'd still be there, but it'd still be treated as unusable on the global market.

In the Rogue Agent game, Goldfinger was SPECTRE but you're right about "Red China" in the film. Thought there was a throw-away line about SPECTRE in the movie but I'm totally mistaken, apparently. My bad.
In the book, Goldfinger was gonna actually steal the gold from Fort Knox, IIRC.

JediTricks
09-11-2012, 01:20 PM
It went up on the front page (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1097-SSG-s-Celebration-VI-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Interview), but it went down pretty quickly amid all the CVI coverage. (On a related note, when I click to go to older pages of news, it just refreshes the first page instead.)Yeah, we've been trying to get that fixed for a few months, the news category next pages work but not the main page, very annoying, it's malformed code I think.

I thought I had linked it from this thread, is that not true? Yeah, ok, I see it, post #4. So it's your fault for missing it, BB. :p

I thought the Uglies were a cool idea, but the notion that there was enough homogeny among them to give them type names was ludicrous.I suppose that's true, but if you have a surplus of parts and there's proven methods that work together, I guess you keep using the recipe that doesn't fall apart on you.

Didn't know that there was so much grey market stuff at cons: I've only been to one! Yep, they were imported by Diamond but DA stated that they were only licensed for release outside of N. America. I guess Diamond fudged it.
Diamond distributed them in Canada without bilingual packaging so that's an indicator of some fudginess. Legally, almost all products must be labelled in both languages up here.There used to be even more gray market, but as the cost of shipping and flying has gone up, the value of bringing it over here has lowered which cuts into profits.

It's pretty lame of them to claim they have a license they can't use in their home market.

I think regarding the labeling, they don't have to have French labeling if they don't distribute them in Quebec, that's what the deal was about 10 years ago or so when Hasbro SW products were showing up in Canada on American cards.

Yep, I even made my own Titanium TYE-Wing, actually. There are a few more uglies I'd like to do: some are cool... and not so ugly.That's pretty wild, how did you get the parts to cling together?

In the Rogue Agent game, Goldfinger was SPECTRE but you're right about "Red China" in the film. Thought there was a throw-away line about SPECTRE in the movie but I'm totally mistaken, apparently. My bad.
In the book, Goldfinger was gonna actually steal the gold from Fort Knox, IIRC.Games take liberties. Goldeneye 64 is more interesting than the movie. :p

STEAL THE GOLD?!? How lazy of a storyline is that? "Well, we caught Goldfinger and his crew taking gold bars out of the vault about 3 days after he started, muttering how he didn't realize it'd take so long to load up. We actually saw him doing it on the first day, but thought it'd be funnier if he just kept loading and loading, never getting close enough to his goal to make it worth his while. I mean, that crazy operation had to cost a fortune to get off the ground, stealing a couple bars couldn't have covered much of his initial investment."

Darth Duranium
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
There used to be even more gray market, but as the cost of shipping and flying has gone up, the value of bringing it over here has lowered which cuts into profits.

It's pretty lame of them to claim they have a license they can't use in their home market.

DA is a European outfit so I guess their home market is Europe, but I agree that it's ridiculous to proscribe SW products from N. America. I guess the license is considerably cheaper if they leave us out.

I think regarding the labeling, they don't have to have French labeling if they don't distribute them in Quebec, that's what the deal was about 10 years ago or so when Hasbro SW products were showing up in Canada on American cards.

Quebec does indeed have additional regs but Federal regs insist that packaging must be in both languages unless it's a test-marketed item. I do know that this was not rigorously enforced, though it's getting quite rare to find exceptions these days.
Diamond is probably exploiting a loophole that allows unilingual magazines (and presumably partworks). Funny, the only non-bilingual Hasbro products I've seen on the shelves were brought up here by Diamond and sold at Mom & Pops. I bought a lot of Titaniums in US packaging but never found any unilingual stuff at a TRU or WM.
In fact, the BSG Titaniums were never licensed for Canada but still turned up in US packaging at comic shops. Kinda insulting, considering it was a Canadian co-production and was shot up here.

That's pretty wild, how did you get the parts to cling together?

I think I posted a pic way back when, I could post another if you're interested. The Krazy Glue Pen is the answer to your question: I used the cockpit and struts of a DA TIE and drilled holes into the engines of an F-Toys Y-Wing, added a yellow decal around the window, and assembled them on a Titanium stand. Didn't even need to paint the body: they were perfectly matched grey/white parts.

Games take liberties. Goldeneye 64 is more interesting than the movie. :p

STEAL THE GOLD?!? How lazy of a storyline is that? "Well, we caught Goldfinger and his crew taking gold bars out of the vault about 3 days after he started, muttering how he didn't realize it'd take so long to load up. We actually saw him doing it on the first day, but thought it'd be funnier if he just kept loading and loading, never getting close enough to his goal to make it worth his while. I mean, that crazy operation had to cost a fortune to get off the ground, stealing a couple bars couldn't have covered much of his initial investment."

I loved Goldeneye 64, we used have a riot in head-to-head mode in particular. Wasn't fussy about Goldeneye Reloaded at all. Didn't mind Bloodstone, though: it had its moments and it was fun to drive the DB5.

Hehe, maybe Goldfinger planned to smelt up a fleet of solid gold zeppelins and float 'em out of there. ;)
I laugh out loud every time I hear Bond's "Run along now. Man-talk." line in the Goldfinger film. Classic sexism writ humongous. :)