PDA

View Full Version : 1st and 2012: College Football Thread

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Should I be pleased that Youngstown State beat a BCS school? Well, it was Pitt. And Ohio State looked strong, even if it was that other Miami university at home.

Is your college one of those currently-ranked teams? Or will it be "next year" next year, and not this one? Nervous? Angry? Excited? Confused? Overconfident?

TeeEye7
09-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Since my son attends the University of Oklahoma, we have embraced the Sooners. Ranked #4 in the Big 12, we're hoping for great things this year! Go OU!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Now, is that the Big 12 conference with 10 teams, or the Big 10 conference with 12 teams? :confused: :nevernameyourconferencewithanumber: ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
YSU wins big (59-nil, and I read it was their 17th straight home opener win) over Valpo, OSU looked strong versus Central FL, but Pitt gets handled easily by Cincy on Thu. Chaffey has their season opener due to kick off in about 10 minutes; hopefully one Panther team will win this weekend!

JimJamBonds
09-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Stupid Badgers losing to the stupid Beavers. :beaten:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Awesome start to the weekend! First, the MLB Pirates break their 7-game skid. Then in football, Pitt returns to the form they once had, with an (sorry, mtriv73) upset win over VA Tech. Ohio State almost lets their Cal game get away, but pulls out a high-scoring 35-28 comeback. Even 8th-ranked YSU is victorious. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Now, is that the Big 12 conference with 10 teams, or the Big 10 conference with 12 teams? :confused: :nevernameyourconferencewithanumber: ;)

Is this a math story problem? I'm dizzy!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Two schools travel to the midwest on trains or planes in 2012, while other conferences with East or Pacific in their titles gain schools nowhere near those places. Some schools paid fines to speed up their leaving. There will be other adjustments travelling north, south, west, and east to come. How much time and money will it take before there's one 200-school conference, with 24 divisions, nationwide? :( Assume no college presidents' IQ integers are less than zero. Show all your work, or an NCAA violation will occur.

p.s. Youngstown St. moves up to #8 in the FCS poll, but how does Ohio St. win and drop to #16, when other teams ranked higher than they, lost this weekend?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Winning weekend, with all three games involving FCS opponents: OSU barely pulls away from UAB, Pitt whomps SomeSchool, and YSU goes to 4-0.

Some upsets and oh-so-close's around the country, too. Next week starts conference season for many.

TeeEye7
09-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Sooners fall down and go "Boomer!"

Bummer.... :hurt:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2012, 08:51 PM
OSU goes into East Lansing and holds on 17-16. Pitt and YSU were on byes (but the 4-0 Penguins are #3 in the FCS rankings), even Chaffey wins. Not so lucky for my work high school's Homecoming Game (a 52-7 loss, with 0 team passing yards :( ).

JimJamBonds
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Badgers suck (I may have said that on page 1, it doesn't matter if I did because its still true).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow and ouch. OSU looked strong on O and D and ST versus the 'Huskers (who weren't the same after Rex went out hurt). Pitt loses a close low-scoring one at Syracuse. If you're gonna lose, lose on the road, to the #1 FCS team by 40+; sorry, #3 YSU. Not so many undefeateds in FBS after this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Pitt is on TV early (8am PST kickoff) and loses an early lead to Louisville, YSU loses its lead in the 4th quarter, and OSU almost blows an 18-point lead with under 3:00 left (thanks to some calls), but still is part of a 100+ point game (and NOT in basketball).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2012, 10:00 PM
At least in the state of Texas, a dramatic battle was waged: in the war between science and religion, Texas Tech beat Texas Christian in 3OT. :D And Ohio State wins in OT, without its starting QB. Pitt wins, but YSU loses a lead and the game.

JimJamBonds
10-21-2012, 08:16 AM
There was NO defense played in Texas yesterday!

And in news closer to home Paul Bunyan's Axe gets to stay in Wisconsin for another season.

TeeEye7
10-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Sooner dominate again! Should be a very interesting game against Notre Dame next Saturday!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Only blemish was the YSU Penguins losing their 4th straight. :( But Pitt hits Temple in the head repeatedly, and Penn State kept OSU close for the first half before letting the Buckeye offense loose.

TeeEye7
10-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Sooner dominate again! Should be a very interesting game against Notre Dame next Saturday!

...and then again, maybe not.

Hate to admit it but Golson was awesome!

Snowtrooper
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Nebraska beats Michigan 23-9. This is the most complete game we've played all year. The defense was the big star. After being destroyed by OSU a few weeks ago, they've put together two really good defensive performances. I hope they continue to play this way the rest of the year. I was surprised by the outcome of the OU/ND game. I really thought OU was going to runaway with this one, especially since it was a home game. I guess it legitimizes ND because I kinda thought they were a bit overrated before this game.

Snowtrooper
11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Holy crap! Nebraska beats Michigan State 28-24 at East Lansing. Yet another comeback win in the 4th quarter for us this year. We were down 10 with MSU shutting down our offense for all of the 3rd quarter. Nebraska drove 80yds in the last minute(with a little help from the refs) to score with 6 seconds left. It was nice to see them pull out the win, but we really didn't play very well at all. I wish we could get our act together when we go on the road. We are capable of playing alot better than this. Oh well, a win is a win.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
YSU stopped a 4-game skid, OSU hits 10-0 on the season, but Pitt's lead at ND goes away in 3OT. :(

Snowtrooper
11-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Nebraska beats Penn State 32-29. They had to rally from a 20-6 deficit to defeat them. I really wish we would stop doing this. I'm glad we won, but we can't continue to dig ourselves into a hole and then try to claw our way out. I wish we could go back to the days when we were handing out a beatdown in the first quarter.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I wish we could go back to the days when we were handing out a beatdown in the first quarter.Doesn't that mean you throw for 52 yards and rush for 450 per game, then?

How can 21st-ranked YSU win by 20+ pts. and drop out of the top 25 FCS poll?

Snowtrooper
11-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Doesn't that mean you throw for 52 yards and rush for 450 per game, then?

Yeah, thats option football. Alot of people think its a boring offense to watch, but most Nebraska fans loved it when we ran it back when Osborne was coach. When it clicks, its a thing of beauty to see. Were still a heavy run team, but not as much as we used to be.

Snowtrooper
11-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Nebraska beats Minnesota 38-14. The 14 points came against the 2nd and 3rd stringers so in a way, it was a shut out. Pretty much the outcome I expected, but it was nice to see us finally dominate rather than shoot ourselves in the foot and then have to come back.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Wow. That's a major shakeup at the top of the polls (KSU, UO). If USC beats ND next week, and the Buckeyes (who played a strong, balanced game in their win at Wisconsin yesterday) beat UM; could OSU get an * national title as the only undefeated college? And the YSU Penguins won, so I hope that gets them into the FCS playoff seedings.

Snowtrooper
11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
The KSU loss was a real surprise. They not only lost, they got destroyed. Its too bad because I was kinda hoping they would at least reach the title game. Stanford has a bit of a reputation for playing spoiler. They ruined USC's title hopes earlier this year and now they have ruined Oregon's. This really throws a monkey wrench into BCS machine.

Snowtrooper
11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Nebraska beats Iowa 13-7. Defensively we played alright. Offensively not so much, but we still made enough plays to win. I guess the wind was terrible at Iowa City, over 30mph, so if really affected both offenses ability to throw the ball. So, onto the Big10 championship to face Wisconsin where we'll definitely need our A game to win this one.

TeeEye7
11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University today.

I'm rooting for the team from Oklahoma!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
OK... :rolleyes: well, OSU did win today, to finish a 12-0 season, playing a strong game vs. UM. Pitt kept its bowl eligibility dreams alive with an upset of Rutgers (how often has that been said in NCAA history?), and they can complete that by beating UCF on the road.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Today they'll reveal where everybody's going for bowling, with some schools already set (KSU, Wisconsin, Stanford, FSU; and likely Alabama & Notre Dame). Pitt gets its 6th win to be elligible, and I hope there's a chance they're somewhere close to SoCal (would love to see them in person).

Snowtrooper
12-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Nebraska loses to Wisconsin 70-31 in the BIG10 championship. Not much to say other than we played like crap. About the only good thing was Taylor Martinez had a heck of a run in the first half where he looked like he was going to lose 15 yards and get tackled on the 6, then took off and ran it in for a TD. Wish we could have at least made the game interesting.

Snowtrooper
12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Looks like were matched up with #7 Georgia in the Citrus Bowl. This is going to get ugly. I don't think I'm even going to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Cue any songs by the ska band Let's Go Bowling. U of A comes back over UNR, and two other teams win a bowl full of pre-baked potatoes.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Not much in the area of great bowl games (Chick Fil-A, Rose, Outback, and Gator stand out for me right now). And Pitt loses its direction in the Bel Biv Devoe Compass Bowl today. :sad: So, does the SEC streak go on, or do the Golden Domers git ur done?

Darth Metalmute
01-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Pitt's loss cost me my bowl pool.:sad:

I have a hard time picking the NC winner. I can't stand Saban and I have never cared for ND. We will never hear the end of it if ND ends the SEC dominance...

Snowtrooper
01-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm hoping for ND to win just cause they haven't won it in 23 years. However, I think that Alabama will win it by a decent margin.

Nebraska lost to Georgia 45-31. It was the outcome we all expected. About the only positive to take from it was that we made the game interesting for 3 quarters before letting it go in the 4th.

JimJamBonds
01-08-2013, 06:47 PM
'My team' Wisco got rocked in the Rose Bowl, and all the other games sucked as well...much like this past weekends NFL matchups.