PDA

View Full Version : What's left to do in basic figures?

JediTricks
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
There are only a small number of recognizable characters left to be produced in the modern line that don't already have figures, and only a few more that really need upgrades from previous versions. So what are they, what are those figures that you are still looking forward to seeing Hasbro do?

Vader ESB/ROTJ - the latest ANH Vader is pretty good, except for the helmet really being not accurate to Ep 4, but it also highlights how crummy the previous Vaders have been - often too much focus on wild softgoods that can't be tamed and light blasts right through them as if they're chiffon.
Luke Farmboy - yeah, I know we just got one, but it has proportion issues. It's close, but not quite there.
LEIA LEIA LEIA DAMNIT LEIA ANH! - um, yeah, so in my book we don't have one of these at all, there isn't a single representation that is worth a crap in the modern line.
Han ANH - just regular ol' Han Solo, and I don't think there's a single one that fits the bill in the modern line.
Lt. Pello Scrambas - yeah, the old guy from the beginning of ANH, he won't sell well.
Lando ESB - what an odd thing to not really have a good figure of, he's a main guy in the film and the best we have is kinda simplistic and short.
Stormtrooper - hear me out, we have good stormtroopers, but not only are they a little difficult to pose thanks to hard hands and limited hips, their helmets don't look right for some films thanks to sculpt and paint issues. I don't expect this to ever happen, nor a Sandtrooper that uses the movie-accurate design changes.
Snowtrooper commander - ok, sure I didn't notice this guy was different until a few years ago, and yes Hasbro did a figure, but it's not very modern quality.
Admiral Piett - in modern quality, not stereoid-abusing.
The Emperor (ROTJ) - one without poorly-sewn tight hoods or giant plastic caves as hoods or any weirdness, just get it right.

I can't think of anything from the prequels I'd buy at this point. They could try to do a better ROTS Anakin head or TPM Obi-Wan head but I doubt I'd buy them anymore, just too many times to the well.

So, what's on your list?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Would some of the Rebel generals count as "basic," like Dodonna or Rieekan? Bespin Guards? Some un-made Padme dresses? Bib Fortuna or Boushh Leia from Jabba's palace? Dooku (maybe with removable hands)? ANH Lars family?

bigbarada
10-09-2012, 01:20 AM
My list would be:

OT super-articulated resculpts:
1. Barada - preferably not reusing any of Kithaba's parts.
2. Squidhead (Tessek) - with soft goods robe and cape, just like the vintage figure.
3. Yak Face (Salty Mary - I'm not sure how you're actually supposed to spell his stupid EU name, nor do I care)
4. Klaatu (vintage Klaatu Skiff)
5. Vizam (POTF2 Nikto)
6. Bib Fortuna - they could really do some cool stuff with the soft goods this time around and not make him a salt-shaker
7. Cantina Band Member - super articulated and packed with all five instruments and a stool, so that you can buy multiples to build the entire band.
8. Ree-Yees
9. Han Carbonite or a Skiff Battle Han Solo
10. R2-D2 - just a really well-made, super-accurate version of R2 without all the ridiculous gimmicks. The Build-a-Droid version of R2 is okay, but the dome is the wrong shape and Hasbro used the wrong shade of blue for the details.
11. Stormtroopers - we're still very, very far from a perfect version of the Stormtrooper armor.
12. Biker Scout - a correctly proportioned helmet would be a nice change from the pinheads we usually get
13. TIE Fighter Pilot - The 2004 sculpt is really starting to show its age and I would like to see Hasbro give the guy some ankle articulation and do away with the girlie feet. Also, no more clone heads underneath the helmets of OT troopers.
14. Sandtrooper - yeah, we just got one, but it's just a dirty Stormtrooper. The fine details are still not correct for a Sandtrooper.
15. C-3PO - the same as R2, no silly gimmicks, better scale and work on that gold finish, it doesn't have to be vac-metalized, but it needs to be a different shade of gold and shinier compared to the TVC figure.

OT all-new figures:
1. Yotts Oren (grey-suited Klaatu from the second skiff)
2. Vedain (Nikto Skiff Driver)
3. Velken Tezeri
4. Taym Dren-Garen
5. Sgt. Doallyn
6. Mercenary Pilot Skiff Guard
7. Fozec
8. Gailid
9. Nizuc Bek
10. Shirtless Human Skiff Guard

Prequel resculpts:
1. Tarfull (ROTS) - the 2005 figure was crap, so I would prefer one that was on the same level of quality of the 2004 VOTC Chewie
2-9. Wookiee Warrior - again, the same level of quality as VOTC Chewie
10. Sebulba - it might be cool to see what Hasbro could do with the figure now, but I'm not 100% sure I would actually buy him

Prequel all-new figures:
1. Merumeru
2. Chokk - Jabba's Klatooinian guard from the Podrace
3-10. more Wookiee Warriors

As for the rest of the Prequels, if it's not a Wookiee, Klatooinian or walking on its hands, then I couldn't care less.

EU list:
1. Chuhka-Trok
2. Jann Tosh
3. Paploo - Ewoks cartoon design
4. Kaink - from the Ewok Adventure TV special
5. Thal Joben
6. Vlix
7. Kez Iban
8. Uncle Gundy
9. Teebo - Ewoks cartoon design
10. Latara - Ewoks cartoon design

Suffice it to say, I've almost completely lost interest in core characters.

Tycho
10-11-2012, 01:07 AM
JT, I'd buy NONE of the figures that you listed, save for possibly Pello Scrambas (old Rebel Fleet Trooper) - maybe.

I'm in the market for Nyrat Agira or Tzzvvzzt, Shasha Tiel and probably much of what BigBarada listed, though my eyes are tired and I couldn't read his long list right at this moment.

But how dare it be suggested that sculpting resources be wasted on the same characters we have billions of versions of!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
There is still amount that they COULD do, but there aren't a whole lot of essential, never-before-made characters left from the films, and I think that some of the "really good, but not 100% perfect" figures might have to be accepted as good enough since the all-new or radically upgraded figures are what I really care about. So here's a more pared-down list that I still want to see.

The Phantom Menace
Character debut
*Kitster and Wald
*Ann/Tann Gella
*PK Worker Droid (maybe modified to make PK-4, who could be released with EG-9, from the deleted scene from the start of the film)
*Ark "Bumpy" Roose
*Elan Mak
*Aks Moe

Resculpts
*Eeth Koth
*Depa Billaba
*Sebulba (the existing one isn't bad but a more modern one would be nice; the same applies to the following two)
*Watto
*Captain Tarpals
*Captain Panaka (body could be used for generic soldier in his uniform)
*Obi-Wan Kenobi (using current SA body and new 2012 head)

Attack of the Clones
Character/outfit debut
*Cliegg Lars
*Padmé Amidala (Lakeside - I'd ideally like them to make all the Padmé outfits but as time goes on that seems unlikely)
*Jar Jar Binks (Padmé's Apartment)
*COO-2184 (Cook Droid)
*Onaconda Farr
*Ko Sai
*Sophjet Josall
*Sar Labooda
*Sarissa Jeng
*Tikkes
*Rogwa Rodrata

Resculpts
*Anakin Skywalker (Jedi robe)
*Kit Fisto (Smiling)

Revenge of the Sith
Character/outfit debut
*Coleman Kcaj
*Merumeru
*BD-3000 ("Betty Bot")
*Cin Drallig
*J'oopi Shé (Green Nikto Jedi)

Resculpts
*Tarfful
*Anakin Skywalker (the Evolutions head sculpt is still probably the closest, as the Vintage head is too fat; his arms are way too long as well)

I'll do the OT later.

Maerj2000
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Solomahal, Mosep, and some background humans from the Cantina. And a Jerba. And the other Scanning Crew guy.

El Chuxter
10-12-2012, 11:21 PM
It boggles my mind that Cin Drallig has still not been made. Sure, there are lots of characters whose non-presence seems to boggle my mind, but Cin seemed like such a no-brainer. New head on a Jedi body.

Sadly, a proper Corran Horn and a non-Emperor's Hand Mara Jade are still sorely missing. Since we got Nom Anor (or at least we're told we got him; I haven't seen evidence of this), Jacen with the Embrace of Pain, and the generic Vong trooper, a few more Vong would be good (particularly a Shimmra/Onimi 2-pack).

Tycho
10-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Chuxter, your NJO figure ideas are good.

How about:

Han - older, short gray hair, dressed in all black
Luke - older, Jedi Master (carded, brown and gray Jedi robes similar to his ghost appearance in Legacy)
Leia - SELCOR volunteer outfit with "ball cap"
Droma
Kyp Durron
Lando - business suit
Jaina - X-wng Rogue Squadron
Jacen - black tactical suit
Anakin Solo - tan apprentice jumpsuit, or gray one
Yuuzhan Vong Warrior - carded
Yuuzhan Vong shaper
Tahiri
Tenal Ka

and more, in addition to your list.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Would some of the Rebel generals count as "basic," like Dodonna or Rieekan? Bespin Guards? Some un-made Padme dresses? Bib Fortuna or Boushh Leia from Jabba's palace? Dooku (maybe with removable hands)? ANH Lars family?"Basic" in this case I was referring to scale, not pricepoint. You can count them if you like, pack-ins, multipack figures, whatever. If you could get it in the past at a retailer and it's in the 3.75" line but not a beast or something along those lines, that's what I meant by basic.

Might I ask what you'd be looking for in a new Boushh Leia, what didn't work in the current one?

I'd add Owen Lars ANH to my list, not Beru though as I just can't see buying 2 figures of her.

My list would be:

OT super-articulated resculpts:
1. Barada - preferably not reusing any of Kithaba's parts.Wow, right off the bat, you just want it all, huh? :p What wouldn't you use though? They're the same mask, right? Why not the same head mold?

7. Cantina Band Member - super articulated and packed with all five instruments and a stool, so that you can buy multiples to build the entire band.6 instruments, and yeah, I'd be down for a new Cantina Band Member.

9. Han Carbonite or a Skiff Battle Han SoloYup, Han Carbonite ESB and/or ROTJ should be on my list as well.

10. R2-D2 - just a really well-made, super-accurate version of R2 without all the ridiculous gimmicks. The Build-a-Droid version of R2 is okay, but the dome is the wrong shape and Hasbro used the wrong shade of blue for the details.No thanks to the BAD, the body is wrong even without the holes. I'd take the recent ROTJ one but with the gimmicks changed/removed, that's a good sculpt (the legs need cylinders at the "hips" though).

12. Biker Scout - a correctly proportioned helmet would be a nice change from the pinheads we usually getThe new one I think fits that bill.

15. C-3PO - the same as R2, no silly gimmicks, better scale and work on that gold finish, it doesn't have to be vac-metalized, but it needs to be a different shade of gold and shinier compared to the TVC figure.I struggled with 3PO on my list for a while, thinking the Endor one was good enough. But ultimately, yeah, 3PO is not really properly represented still compared to the Kotobukiya sculpt and the Tamashii Nations one.

OT all-new figures:
1. Yotts Oren (grey-suited Klaatu from the second skiff)
2. Vedain (Nikto Skiff Driver)
3. Velken Tezeri
4. Taym Dren-Garen
5. Sgt. Doallyn
6. Mercenary Pilot Skiff Guard
7. Fozec
8. Gailid
9. Nizuc Bek
10. Shirtless Human Skiff GuardSeeing a theme there. ;) I'm not sure I'd get excited at $10 a pop over those, but I can see why they'd be wanted.

Prequel resculpts:
1. Tarfull (ROTS) - the 2005 figure was crap, so I would prefer one that was on the same level of quality of the 2004 VOTC Chewie
2-9. Wookiee Warrior - again, the same level of quality as VOTC Chewie
Prequel all-new figures:
1. Merumeru
3-10. more Wookiee WarriorsThat's a lot of wookiee warriors!

2. Jann ToshHis Comedy Central show is very popular these days.

4. Kaink - from the Ewok Adventure TV specialDidn't we just get Kaink? Or was that figure lacking part of her outfit?

JT, I'd buy NONE of the figures that you listed, save for possibly Pello Scrambas (old Rebel Fleet Trooper) - maybe.

I'm in the market for Nyrat Agira or Tzzvvzzt, Shasha Tiel and probably much of what BigBarada listed, though my eyes are tired and I couldn't read his long list right at this moment.

But how dare it be suggested that sculpting resources be wasted on the same characters we have billions of versions of!I guess I'm supposed to take offense at this post, but all I can think is: get back to us with your opinion when more than 5% of your collection is out of storage and opened. Until then, all you can do is enjoy the idea of your figures, the short Vaders and tall Lukes and fat Chewies and just general awkward sculpts and minimal articulation that has no room expression. And save your explanation of why you collect different from everybody else, we all know your arguments that involve your figures ultimately being any random collection of things that has the same idea of these characters even if they're basically just muscle men painted yellow or white or black.

PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared.

*Sebulba (the existing one isn't bad but a more modern one would be nice; the same applies to the following two)
*Watto
*Captain Panaka (body could be used for generic soldier in his uniform)I'd possibly buy these, I guess, but I couldn't say enough for sure to add them to my list.

*Cliegg LarsI'd add this to my list as well, Cliegg Lars.

*Anakin Skywalker (Jedi robe)Another "maybe but not enough to be on my list" figure.

It boggles my mind that Cin Drallig has still not been made. Sure, there are lots of characters whose non-presence seems to boggle my mind, but Cin seemed like such a no-brainer. New head on a Jedi body.It's not like the generic Jedi sold particularly well when the movie had just come out, why does it seem like a foregone conclusion that this generic one would? Nick Gillard surely isn't handsome enough on his own to warrant a random figure.

Sadly, a proper Corran Horn and a non-Emperor's Hand Mara Jade are still sorely missing. Since we got Nom Anor (or at least we're told we got him; I haven't seen evidence of this), Jacen with the Embrace of Pain, and the generic Vong trooper, a few more Vong would be good (particularly a Shimmra/Onimi 2-pack).It still utterly boggles my mind that they screwed up that winning Mara Jade figure.

I have a Nom Anor, so he exists. I guess, doesn't look all that much like him from what I've seen.

bigbarada
10-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Wow, right off the bat, you just want it all, huh? :p What wouldn't you use though? They're the same mask, right? Why not the same head mold.

The bandana is longer and made from a thicker fabric. Well maybe not necessarily thicker, just folded in half and sewn together so it's essentially "double-ply" where Kithaba's bandana is just a single layered strip of cloth. Barada's bandana is also long enough to drape down onto his shoulders. Kithaba's bandana doesn't even come down to his collar. So, the mask is the same, but the bandana is different enough that I think it requires a new sculpt. If Hasbro was going to reuse any Kithaba parts, then I guess they can use the legs. However, anything else and the figure becomes more of a repainted-Kithaba instead of a proper Barada.

Oh yeah, and Kaink was released in the Star Tours set, but she had that crappy cloth hood that didn't properly represent the outfit she wore in the TV special. She should have an outfit that covers most of her body, not just a hood.

El Chuxter
10-13-2012, 10:30 AM
It's not like the generic Jedi sold particularly well when the movie had just come out, why does it seem like a foregone conclusion that this generic one would? Nick Gillard surely isn't handsome enough on his own to warrant a random figure.
IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I want Cin Drallig as well, but he only appears in the movie as a hologram (and only very briefly), has a different but more uniquely colored outfit in the video game than he does in the promotional stills, and is really more notable for the fact of who plays him than anything he really does in the film or elsewhere (which isn't much aside from the game that people probably haven't played much in the last seven years). So while I think he would be a cool choice, I can't really fault them for wanting to make (and upgrade) the more prominent, interesting-looking Jedi first.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 01:06 PM
The bandana is longer and made from a thicker fabric. Well maybe not necessarily thicker, just folded in half and sewn together so it's essentially "double-ply" where Kithaba's bandana is just a single layered strip of cloth. Barada's bandana is also long enough to drape down onto his shoulders. Kithaba's bandana doesn't even come down to his collar. So, the mask is the same, but the bandana is different enough that I think it requires a new sculpt. If Hasbro was going to reuse any Kithaba parts, then I guess they can use the legs. However, anything else and the figure becomes more of a repainted-Kithaba instead of a proper Barada.

Oh yeah, and Kaink was released in the Star Tours set, but she had that crappy cloth hood that didn't properly represent the outfit she wore in the TV special. She should have an outfit that covers most of her body, not just a hood.The thickness may be different, but how different will they look at 1:18 scale? Is it enough to warrant a whole new sculpt? Even if that cost-savings could get your figure made or not made?

As for the length, your own site's images say differently, that they're both the same, both touching the collar: http://www.skiffguards.com/images/skiff2guards/barada/barada-BTC4.jpg
http://www.skiffguards.com/images/skiff1guards/kithaba/kithaba-BTC1.jpg
And the Kithaba figure's bandana is about as long but kinda curled so it doesn't have to be a separate piece.

IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.He is in the game, but he looks entirely different - different hair and face and costume.

bigbarada
10-13-2012, 01:32 PM
The thickness may be different, but how different will they look at 1:18 scale? Is it enough to warrant a whole new sculpt? Even if that cost-savings could get your figure made or not made?

As for the length, your own site's images say differently, that they're both the same, both touching the collar: http://www.skiffguards.com/images/skiff2guards/barada/barada-BTC4.jpg
http://www.skiffguards.com/images/skiff1guards/kithaba/kithaba-BTC1.jpg
And the Kithaba figure's bandana is about as long but kinda curled so it doesn't have to be a separate piece.

Hey! Stop using my own website against me! :p

Anyways, if they simply reuse Kithaba's head, then I wouldn't consider Barada to be done. So, if faced with the choice of a Kithaba-repaint passed off as Barada or no Barada figure at all, then I would go with no figure at all.

If they keep resculpting Nikto heads between Nysad, Fi-Ek-Sirch, and the Vintage Nikto, then why not Barada? Same with Giran and Wooof, why have two different head sculpts between the two Klaatus if the masks are identical in the film and they're just going to be covered up with a helmet anyway? So, it's more about the precedent that Hasbro's already set and I don't want to see them taking any steps backwards.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey! Stop using my own website against me! :p Mwah ha ha! I have you now... wait, actually, "you have you now!" :D

Anyways, if they simply reuse Kithaba's head, then I wouldn't consider Barada to be done. So, if faced with the choice of a Kithaba-repaint passed off as Barada or no Barada figure at all, then I would go with no figure at all. I still don't really understand this, it's the same exact mask mold in the film. Aside from colors which are of no consequence to this discussion, the only difference is a slight variance in the thickness or sweatiness of a bandanna, right? We're not talking about reusing the body, only the head.

If they keep resculpting Nikto heads between Nysad, Fi-Ek-Sirch, and the Vintage Nikto, then why not Barada? Same with Giran and Wooof, why have two different head sculpts between the two Klaatus if the masks are identical in the film and they're just going to be covered up with a helmet anyway? So, it's more about the precedent that Hasbro's already set and I don't want to see them taking any steps backwards.Fi-Ek-Sirch shouldn't be in this discussion, he's a prequel alien and likely uses a different mask from the ROTJ masks. With the other 2, there's no precedent to protect, Nysad's head was too big and had too much chin so they didn't reuse it, compare:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/2012Hasbro/HASBRO_TVC_VC99_NIKTO/HASBRO_TVC_VC99_NIKTO-25.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/2012Hasbro/HASBRO_TVC_VC99_NIKTO/HASBRO_TVC_VC99_NIKTO-24.jpg
but if Kithaba's head looks fine as-is why shouldn't they reuse that? I'd rather deal with the practicality of the matter than avoid getting a new figure on principle.

Tycho
10-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I guess I'm supposed to take offense at this post, but all I can think is: get back to us with your opinion when more than 5% of your collection is out of storage and opened. Until then, all you can do is enjoy the idea of your figures, the short Vaders and tall Lukes and fat Chewies and just general awkward sculpts and minimal articulation that has no room expression. And save your explanation of why you collect different from everybody else, we all know your arguments that involve your figures ultimately being any random collection of things that has the same idea of these characters even if they're basically just muscle men painted yellow or white or black.

PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared.

No, you weren't supposed to take offense, I was just trying to type strong words to emphasize my point.

Actually you are right when you say:

"PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared. "

I'm just trying to say that from my perspective, I won't be buying the Vaders and Lukes. Consequently, I might get more quiet on these boards just because my enthusiasm would bubble when we get something unusual that's been on my demand list for a long time, like Nomi Surider.

LOL at your "more than 5%" comment. That's also true, but I'm now moving much more quickly to 30%. As you're aware, my start-up costs to be a real novelist (not a self-published "hobbyist") has cost me tens of thousands of dollars (this includes building a network from my participating in re-enacting groups and movie productions for which I needed my own equipment for, and almost always travel and hotel expenditures). But anyway, I got a financial break and purchased a lot of new display furniture so I can set up more stuff behind glass and it has motivated me to clean up my place and make it into more of a neat museum.

I don't think it's realistic that I'm going to earn my way up to moving out of this place, and if I do, even my uncle's 9 room, 6 car garage place, with an extra couple of houses on the property is large enough to showcase all of my collection (presumably like Rancho Obi-Wan though I have not been there to accurately make the comparison).

So every 10 years I'll rotate my stuff on display, and then I'll expect to start making plans to die anyway (or live a lot many more years free to decorate differently.

But as to the "muscle-men" comment, I feel some nostalgia for the He-man Luke etc. I started collecting Playmates Star Trek TNG in 1992 and went to a Trek convention in 1995 to see Patrick Stewart I think. And there I head the return of SW figures was coming. I decided I'd try and see some pictures of the first 9 figures, so I went to the dealers' room. Incredibly, instead of finding pictures, I found the figures and even got Leia and C-3PO at a cheap price (for what would temporarily be coming) because the vendors didn't know she'd be rare or anything.

So I kind of like the memories.

El Chuxter
10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.

bigbarada
10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.

I agree, the "one step forward, three steps backwards" approach is really sucking all of the enjoyment out of collecting modern figures.

Tycho
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I really don't even look at them if they're characters I already have.

I did like that Snaggletooth in the Target 3-pack though (but didn't buy it)

But I mean it. I seriously don't even look. I wouldn't recognize the new Luke Hoth off of his cardback if I came across one. I've touched it while working through the figures on a peg at the store, but except for a glance at the cardfront picture, I really have never looked at it.

I'm sure their cost per figure, or cost per case assortment pre-determines what a new figure will get. They can't afford a decent headsculpt if they want ankle articulation, for example.

bigbarada
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
They can't afford a decent headsculpt if they want ankle articulation, for example.

I think the headsculpts are a matter of artistry not finances. So that's going to rely on skill and talent more than anything else. If you hire an untalented artist and you double his pay, he's not going to suddenly become more talented, he's just going to be overpaid. Similarly, a talented artist is going to have the same level of talent no matter what you pay him.

The guys who sculpt these figures are artists, plain and simple. They might be artists under crushing deadlines, but they are still artists nonetheless. So, the common rules of productivity don't necessarily apply to them.

El Chuxter
10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
My problem with it is, if you had a perfect headsculpt before, why not re-use it instead of making a lesser one?

JediTricks
10-15-2012, 11:19 PM
No, you weren't supposed to take offense, I was just trying to type strong words to emphasize my point.

Actually you are right when you say:

"PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared. "

I'm just trying to say that from my perspective, I won't be buying the Vaders and Lukes. The question wasn't what you won't buy.

But as to the "muscle-men" comment, I feel some nostalgia for the He-man Luke etc. I started collecting Playmates Star Trek TNG in 1992 and went to a Trek convention in 1995 to see Patrick Stewart I think. And there I head the return of SW figures was coming. I decided I'd try and see some pictures of the first 9 figures, so I went to the dealers' room. Incredibly, instead of finding pictures, I found the figures and even got Leia and C-3PO at a cheap price (for what would temporarily be coming) because the vendors didn't know she'd be rare or anything.

So I kind of like the memories.The memories are far more valuable as Star Wars collectibles than those toys themselves.

I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.Your cruelty is unwelcome. ;)

I agree, the "one step forward, three steps backwards" approach is really sucking all of the enjoyment out of collecting modern figures.I think it's the fact that we're paying more as we're also getting compromised paint work which really digs the grave.

I think the headsculpts are a matter of artistry not finances. So that's going to rely on skill and talent more than anything else. If you hire an untalented artist and you double his pay, he's not going to suddenly become more talented, he's just going to be overpaid. Similarly, a talented artist is going to have the same level of talent no matter what you pay him.

The guys who sculpt these figures are artists, plain and simple. They might be artists under crushing deadlines, but they are still artists nonetheless. So, the common rules of productivity don't necessarily apply to them.Sculpts are about both, really. The primary sculpt may not have enough time budgeted to get it perfect, time is really money in this situation. Or the primary sculpt is a home run but there's not enough skill or time at the factory to translate it into the tooling as well as it deserves. The problem is that the figures we get are factory sculpts based on artistic sculpts, it's an extra set of hands in the process and they're thousands of miles away with not all that much oversight at those chinese vendors. When you look at some of Vennemeyer's sculpts (Dave Vennemeyer: Hasbro chief sculptor for this brand) at a convention - he often brings the wax originals and prototypes and such - they're lightyears better than the production versions and the reason becomes clear when you listen to what the team talks about with chinese factories/vendors. So Tycho is not exactly right and not exactly wrong when he says budget is part of the problem.

To be honest though, I haven't found likenesses wanting lately, it's been more about body and/or costume problems - either sculpted or removable or cloth, doesn't matter, there's often something wrong - and articulation problems and body proportion problems and materials issues and QC and fit-n-finish issues, but standing above all of those are 2 ogre-sized problems: mediocre paint, and mediocre value.

My problem with it is, if you had a perfect headsculpt before, why not re-use it instead of making a lesser one?There are usually reasons like these given at conventions and in past Q&A:
- the tooling is lost or unavailable in a different factory;
- the tooling is in use for another execution, like an exclusive set;
- the previous headsculpt no longer fits with current aesthetics or with current manufacturing or assembly (a cut-joint head that doesn't fit with the ball-jointed bodies, a hinged part that is now too expensive to assemble);
- Lucasfilm or Hasbro wanted a different expression to give a wider range of product in the brand;
- Lucasfilm or Hasbro feels the market will no longer bear out that headsculpt if it's been heavily used.

Can you think of a recent example where Hasbro redid a likeness that was acceptable, replacing it with one that isn't? That reminds me more of problems of the past than of the present, I can't think of one since like '07.

El Chuxter
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Not so much "unacceptable," but the new Bespin Leia head looks like only a lateral move to me. Since, depending upon where you buy the new one (and bought the old one), she could cost almost three times as much as the previous figure, that's unacceptable.

bigbarada
10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Sculpts are about both, really. The primary sculpt may not have enough time budgeted to get it perfect, time is really money in this situation. Or the primary sculpt is a home run but there's not enough skill or time at the factory to translate it into the tooling as well as it deserves. The problem is that the figures we get are factory sculpts based on artistic sculpts, it's an extra set of hands in the process and they're thousands of miles away with not all that much oversight at those chinese vendors. When you look at some of Vennemeyer's sculpts (Dave Vennemeyer: Hasbro chief sculptor for this brand) at a convention - he often brings the wax originals and prototypes and such - they're lightyears better than the production versions and the reason becomes clear when you listen to what the team talks about with chinese factories/vendors. So Tycho is not exactly right and not exactly wrong when he says budget is part of the problem.

That makes a lot of sense as to why some of the sculpts seem to "go south" like they do. Kind of like comic book art - you could have the best penciller in the world, but if the inker is bad, then the art is going to look like crap no matter what.

That's got to be frustrating for Hasbro's sculptors.

Tycho
10-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, I think the reference to 2007 involved that Moisture Farmer Luke which included the Moisture Vaporator (I'm pretty sure - didn't buy that figure of course).

But the headsculpt was so bad on Luke it was hard to imagine anyone buying it. Furthermore, I think it was the Yavin Ceremony Luke figure in the TAC that looked so palid because of the paint that I was referring to him as Luke Skywalker with Cancer since he really looked like he'd just returned from chemotherapy.

As to what's left to do in basic figures being the question, I would always answer that question in terms of never-made-before-figures plus original vintage remakes.

By my numbering, there were 102 vintage CHARACTERS made from the original Kenner collection (as I include the Rebo Band and Jabba and Salacious, plus Blue Snaggletooth). I number them as follows, and BOLDED those that haven't been re-done to exact specifications:

1. Luke
2. Han Bolux with Blue Max
3. Leia
4. Chewie Lowbacca Jedi Knight
5. R2D2
6. C-3PO
7. Obi-Wan Kenobi Dark Times Obi-Wan like the SideShow Premium Statue, young w. gray hair
8. Jawa
9. Tusken Raider
10. Darth Vader
11. Stormtrooper Deak – Luke’s other “friend” with Cammie and Fixer
12. Death Squad Commander (Imp Naval Trooper) - some people want a gray uniform like the Kenner figure. Unsure if this is authentic
13. Death Star Droid Senni Tonnika
14. Power Droid Brea Tonnika
15. R5-D4 random moisture farmer on the street
16. Hammerhead Tzzvvzzt
17. Walrusman Rannat
18. Snaggletooth Arliel Schlos - the Defel with red eyes
19. Greedo space suit guy in bar
20. Boba Fett Boba Fett with removeable helmet and longer hair (adult)
21. Luke X-wing Wedge in civilian attire - Rogue Squadron
22. Luke Stormtrooper (POTF) Janson in X-wing Pilot attire (snowspeeder was made)
23. Death Star Gunner (POTF)
24. Blue Snaggletooth (Sears)

25. Han Hoth Han with short hair in Imperial Officer uniform
26. Han Bespin
27. Han Carbonite (POTF) super-deluxe Carbonite Han
28. Luke Hoth Luke tan vest - SOTE
29. Luke Bespin Luke Dagobah with Bespin jacket worn open
30. Leia Hoth Leia as Rebel agent – comics – purple shirt, tan vest
31. Leia Bespin
32. Lando Bespin Lando Coruscant Security disguise SOTE
33. R2D2 Sensorscope
34. C-3PO Removeable Limbs C-3PO with lower leg off and held in hand (Bespin Escape)
35. FX-7
36. 21-B
37. IG-88
38. 4-LOM
39. Zuckuss
40. Bossk
41. Dengar
42. Imperial Officer Captain Palleon / Admiral Palleon – HTTE
43. TIE Pilot Han Solo with short hair as TIE Pilot
44. AT-AT Commander (Veers)
45. AT-AT Driver
46. Snowtrooper Torryn Farr
47. Hoth Rebel Soldier Pellos Scrambas - old Rebel Fleet Trooper
48. Hoth Rebel Commander Hobbie in snowspeeder pilot gear (X-wing EU was made)
49. Bespin Guard (white with mustache) Bespin Guard - white guy without mustache
50. Bespin Guard (black)
51. Lobot
52. Ugnaught
53. Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot
54. Yoda

55. AT-ST Driver
56. Han Endor Han with short gray hair in all black, NJO
57. Luke Jedi Luke Spirit from Legacy
58. Luke Endor Luke in 40's in black and gray Jedi robes, as Master
59. Leia Boussh Leia pregnant as Jedi Apprentice
60. Leia Endor Leia as New Republic President
61. Lando Skiff Guard Han in Corellian General Uniform (like Madine or Lando)
62. Lando General Lando as Nkllon Mining Baron (red outfit, HTTE)
63. R2-D2 Lightsaber Launch
64. Admiral Ackbar Bothan Spy Master, HTTE
65. General Madine Kyp Durron, Jedi
66. Endor Rebel Soldier Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi - rumored
67. Prune Face Jacen Solo as Darth Caedus
68. Nien Numb Jaina Solo X-wing Pilot
69. A-wing Pilot Tycho in X-wing pilot gear
70. B-wing Pilot Tycho in Rebel Alliance dress uniform - like Wedge's EU figure with Bossk Fey'lya
71. Anakin Skywalker (spirit - Sebastian Shaw) Emperor Roan Fel
72. Emperor Palpatine (proto-forming clone Emperor Palpatine - Dark Empire)
73. Royal Guard Princess Marisiah Fel
74. Imperial Dignitary - Sim Aloo specifically needs to be made. Sate Pestage
75. Bib Fortuna Cade Skywalker’s friend, pilot buddy Synn
76. Jabba the Hutt Cane Adiss
77. Salacious Crumb Mara Jade as Ariel
78. Sy Snootles Darth Wrylock, Legacy
79. Droopy McCool carded Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
80. Max Rebo Supreme Overlord Shimra
81. Gamorrean Guard Sgt. Doaylln, skiff guard
82. Weequay Yuuzhan Vong female shaper
83. Klaatu Anakin Solo
84. Klaatu Skiff Guard Tahiri
85. Nikto Corran Horn, Jedi
86. Barada Guri
87. Ree-Yees
88. Squidhead
89. Yak Face
90. Amanaman
91. Rancor Keeper
92. EV-9D9
93. 8-D8
94. Chief Chirpa
95. Logray
96. Wicket
97. Teebo
98. Paploo
99. Lumat
100. Romba
101. Warok - card him and make it official
102. Bikerscout

Then I added ones in RED that have never been made but should be made.

Next I go to the Prequel Trilogy:

Qui-Gon
Qui-Gon Tatooine
Obi-Wan Obi-Wan as bounty hunter (Jedi Quest)
Anakin racer / pilot
Anakin Jedi Padawan
Padme - Tatooine
Queen - Theed Throne
Queen - Black Travel (actually Sabe)
Queen - Pre-Senate
Queen - Senate speech
Queen - post Senate
Queen - Purple Return to Naboo
Queen - Battle Dress (Sabe)
Queen - 2nd Hanger Battle
Queen - Victory Celebration
C-3PO (naked)
JarJar
Darth Maul
Darth Maul hologram
Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious hologram
Battle Droid - PKU Droid
Pilot Droid - card him
Security Droid
OOM-9
Destroyer Droid
TC-14
Nute Gunray Tey How
Rune Haako
Daultay Dofine
Senator Palpatine Senator Palpatine Hologram
Sio Bibble
Captain Panaka Captain Panaka with removeable hat and soft cloak
Naboo Royal Guard (white)
Naboo Royal Guard (Latino)
Naboo Royal Security Naboo Royal Security (black)
Naboo Soldier (enlisted -tan)
Naboo Soldier (officer - red) Naboo Soldier officer – red, black ethnic variation
Handmaiden Handmaiden purple robes from Senate
Shmi Skywalker Handmaiden 2nd Hanger battle dress, blonde girl
Gragga senator of the same species
Watto Kitster
Pit Droid style 1 (white) Wald
Pit Droid style 1 (red) Ann Gella
Pit Droid style 2 Tan Gella
Sebulba Aldar Beedo
Gasgano Ark Bumpy Roos
Ody Mandrell Old Jira
Teemto Pagales
Dud Bolt
Mars Guo
Mahownik Bolls Rohr
Rats Tyrell Wan Sadage
Ben Quadrinaros
Cleg Holdfast
Fode and Beed
Aurra Sing
Quinlan Vos
Yoda (as Jedi Council Member)
Yoda hologram
Mace
Plo Koon
Ki-Adi Mundi
Ki-Adi Mundi hologram
SaeSee Tiin
Eeth Koth
Adi Galia
Even Piel
Depa Billaba
Oppo Rancisis
Yarael Poof
Yaddle
Chancellor Valorum Sei Teria
Mas Ameeda
Lott Dodd
Yarua
Mon Cal Senator E.T. Senator
Ask Aak (Gran Senator) Asks Moe, Gran Senator
Po Nudo (becomes Separatist) Rodian Senator, Anaconda Far
Passal Argente (becomes Separatist)
Shu Mai (becomes Separatist)
Orm Fre Taa (Twi'lek)
Horax Ryder
Gungan Warrior Gungan female
Gungan band member (buglar) Gungan Child
Captain Tarpals
Boss Nass
Gungan Council Member

Obi-Wan Knight
Obi-Wan hologram
Obi-Wan (wet hair - Kamino)
Anakin Padawan
Anakin Peasant Disguise
Padme Pilot Padme Senator, Palpatine’s Office
Padme Refugee / Naboo Report Padme, Naberrie family deleted scene
Padme black leather temptation backless dress, first kiss
Padme Tatooine Arrival yellow dress, Naboo waterfall
Padme Genosis Arrival (white droid factory) Nightgown, Naboo balcony, Kahoun Attack
Padme Arena Battle Padme, Lars garage
Padme Wedding
R2-D2 booster rockets
C-3PO junk parts
JarJar (Naboo Representative) JarJar, Padme’s apartment
Coleman Trebor
Shaak-Ti
Kit Fisto
Luminara Undulli
Bariss Offee
Jocasta Nu
Sirch Fi Ek
Sora Bulq
Pablo Jill
Aayla Secura
Aayla Secura Hologram
Ashla human Jedi youngling, Liam
Jempa
Chian
Rodian Jedi Zayne Carrick, KOTOR
Klatoonian Jedi Zayne’s Snivian partner, KOTOR
Chancellor Palpatine (dark blue) Mandalorian KOTOR era
his bald aide (female)
Bail Organa (blue)
Captain Typho (pilot) Queen Jamilla
Captain Typho (duty uniform) 6-armed server droid from the freighter
Zam Wessel
Jango Fett
Boba Fett
Clone Kid Clone Kid 2-pack with yellow and red headsets
Clone cadet (red uniform)
Clone Trooper
Clone Sergeant
Clone Lieutenant
Clone Captain
Clone Commander
Clone Pilot
Lama Su Kaminoan research science worker
Taun We
Elan Sleezebagano female Weequay pirate
Ack-Med Beq Asian human lower level lurker – think it was Doug Chaing
Danay Fatoonie Ithorian Senator
Twi'lek girl
Dexter Jettster Hermione Bagwa (human girl waitress
WA-2
Battle Droid (Geonosis red)
OOM-9 (Geonosis red)
Super Battle Droid
Dwarf Spider Droid (deluxe figure)
Nute Gunray (AOTC)
Rune Haako (AOTC) - or it was a different Niemodian
Poggle the Lesser
Sun Fak
Geonosian Worker
Geonosian Warrior (winged)
Wat Tambor Senator Tiikes, Quarren
San Hill Rogwa Woodrata
Count Dooku
Dooku's Pilot Droid (coming out as a 2013 BAD)
Watto (AOTC)
Owen Lars (AOTC) Cliegg Lars
Beru Whitesun Shmi Skywalker, Tusken prisoner
Female Tusken
Child Tusken
Rikshaw Droid big flying droid factory cargo carrier droid

Obi-Wan Master Padme hair in buns, landing platform
Anakin Knight Padme light blue dress, different from nightgown
Anakin Sith Eyes Darth Vader Padme Senator, birth of the Empire
Anakin (Mustafar Vader) Padme dress with hat piece
Padme Nightgown Ruminitions Padme
Padme Mustafar Padme birth of the twins, white dress
Agen Kolar funeral Padme
Stass Allie Jedi weapons master played by stunt coordinator
Darth Sidious (red cloak, Jedi duel)
Darth Sidious (gray and black, Yoda duel)
Darth Sidious (black, Mustafar)
Magna Droid (Grievous' Body Guard)
General Grievous
Nute Gunray (ROTS)
Rune Haako (ROTS)
Lushros Dofine
Chancellor Palpatine (black gown, Dooku's prisoner) Sio Bibble
Chancellor Palpatine (red, Jedi Duel) Queen Appelina
Chancellor Palpatine (red, birth of the Empire) Padme’s mom
Utopau Administrator Padme’s dad
P'aun Warrior Padme’s sister
Utai Mechanic
Polis Masan fat Polis Masan
Mas Ameeda (ROTS)
Zett Jukasa
Bail Organa Blockade Runner Bail Organa Senator, birth of the Empire
Bail Organa - Alderaan (Leia's adoption) Bail Organa Speeder Pilot
Brea Organa (Leia's adoption) Bail Organa Landing platform
Clone Trooper Phase II
Airborne Trooper
Clone Trooper (Cody's men)
Commander Cody
Commander Cody Hologram
Clone Trooper (gray)
Clone Trooper (Commander Gree)
Clone Trooper (Kashyyyk Scout)
ARF Trooper
ATRT Driver
Galactic Marine Trooper
Commander Bacara
501st Clone Trooper
Shocktrooper
Clone Trooper Star Corps (Bly's men)
Commander Bly
Commader Neo
Neo’s Trooper
Clone Pilot (ARC-170, Odd Ball)
Cone Pilot (Imperial V-wing, black)
Clone Pilot (Tank Gunner)
Mustafar Lava Miner
Mustafar Sentry
Tarful
Wookiee Warrior Sneak Preview
Wookiee Warrior 1 new Wookiee Warrior 5
Wookiee Warrior 2 new Wookiee Warrior 6
Wookiee Warrior 3
Wookiee Warrior 4
Crab Droid (deluxe figure)
Luke Skywalker (baby)
Leia Organa (baby) [COLOR="#FF0000"]baby delivery droid 2
Chopper Droid Luxury Droid, fembot
2-1A medical droid
FX-6 luggage carrier droid

So anyway, the above PT list might be incomplete as to who they made and there are definitely more, but the RED answers who they have left to do that they SHOULD DO to answer JediTricks' question "Who's left to do?"

Lord Malakite
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Yoda Spirit in the "modern spirit" style
Anakin Skywalker Spirit (Shaw) in the "modern spirit" style
Anakin Skywalker Spirit (Hayden) in the "original holo blue spirit" style (since I'd appreciate the option of being able to represent all the spirits in either artistic style)
Cliegg Lars
Sim Aloo

I think that is about it for me as far as the movies go. There are a few select background characters here and there (and occasional character in a previously unreleased outfit), but the above is probably the most important of what is left to be done for me. Yeah "so-and-so" and this or that could always use an improved sculpt or articulation here and there, but by and large I'm satisfied with what figures we already got from 1995-present. Until collector toy companies came along (like McFarlane and Neca) the sculpts by and large for Star Wars were (and still are) miles beyond what most other toy companies pumped out past or present for other toy lines. Even the 1995 steroid Star Wars figures (which are moot now since newer more accurate figures of those characters have replaced everything from back then). I just don't really feel the need for owning 18 plus versions of Jedi Luke. And when it comes to never before released characters or new outfits for Amidala, etc. we are kind of scraping the barrel. After pumping out figures nonstop for close to 20 years straight Hasbro has almost hit everything that matters to me in regards to the Star Wars movies (or what any other toy company could ever possibly hope to do for any other franchise I could ever care about). Aside from the above mentioned movie figures the only thing I look forward to anymore Star Wars related (that hasn't been completely done) is Expanded Universe figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2012, 08:23 PM
A New Hope
Character/outfit debut
*Arleil Schous
*Braconnor Bakiska (Fu Manchu - could use Trinto Duaba's headsculpt as a starting point, maybe)
*Banniss Keeg
*Melas
*Mosep Binneed
*Ownellco or Atheloe (same species as Solomahal - their names were recently established and Solomahal was established as being only in the Holiday Special)
*Tzizvvt
*Theron Nett (Red Ten)
*Puck Naeco (Red Twelve)
*Lars Family Power Droid

Resculpts
*Han Solo (Yavin Ceremony - the 2011 one doesn't even really count for me)
*Princess Leia (Yavin Ceremony)
*Uncle Owen
*Aunt Beru
*Cantina Band Member

The Empire Strikes Back
Character/outfit debut
*Toryn Farr
*E-3PO
*Holographic Imperial Officer
*Bespin Security Guard (with mustache)

Resculpts
*C-3PO with blaster damage and accurate removable (or already-removed) limbs, such as legs removable at the knee, etc.
*Lando Calrissian (needs a removable cape)
*Han Solo (Carbonite)
*Captain/Admiral Piett
*Derek "Hobbie" Klivian (Snowspeeder Pilot - we only have an X-wing version)
*2-1B

Return of the Jedi
*Cane Adiss
*Sim Aloo
*Keir Santage
*Velken Tezeri
*Vedain
*Sgt. Doallyn
*Yotts Oren
*Taym Dren-Garen
*Fozec

Resculpts
*Yoda's Spirit

As you can see, I'd like to see the on-screen, in-flight ANH pilots completed (Puck Naeco only appears when Theron Nett dies, actually), as well as the skiff guards (the human ones are less interesting but I'd still like to see them) and cantina patrons (though I don't know if I need two of every alien species that had two near-identical characters). We're pretty close on all three of those. I'm also always down for more Ewoks, though since the vintage ones have all been updated and we finally have Kneesaa, I don't have any preferences on which they do from here on out. ESB is pretty close to what I'd consider complete, but it doesn't have as many background characters as the other films anyway.