PDA

View Full Version : What figures from the last few years should be re-released?

JediTricks
10-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I was going to post this earlier in the month but got sidetracked by personal business. Anyway, I left myself a note to start a thread about this, and so now is as good as any time.

The question is: what figures from the last few years should be re-released into the mainline? This can be from any source, but it should be a modern-quality figure. Maybe it's a figure that got a microscopic initial release; maybe it's a figure that simply should have a regular presence on shelves; maybe it was a pack-in on a set nobody could really afford. Whatever the reason you come up with is fine.

Also, perhaps you could let us know, how do you think the figure will do returning to market? Why do you want to see it return? Is it worth the new, higher pricetag as-is?

El Chuxter
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Dr. Evazan. Then I'll be happy.

JediTricks
10-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Evazan and Ponda could stand a re-release. I wanted to post a list with them in it but I'm sorta frazzled still.

Umbra
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Bastilla Shan (Revan and Malik too but not sure if they count as modern anymore) I'd like too see some of this years last wave make it back into stores sense they went online only.

JediTricks
11-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Revan and Malak seem modern enough in sculpt to me, they fit in with the sculpting style, they're just in that period of oversized shoulder joints, and they are lacking in super articulation in a few areas, but I'd still call them modern thanks to the sculpts and arm joints. It's not like when Hasbro took the Imperial Scanning Trooper from the '90s and gave him a modern paintjob.

ROTJ R2-D2 should make a return, the one of the rare accurate sculpts for the dome and body didn't get a strong release in its first outing.

I wonder why we're all so stymied on coming up with re-release figures.

Tycho
11-06-2012, 05:17 PM
If Clone Wars figures can count - they are modern -

the Firefighting Battle Droid

Tactical Droid

Thy-Sen (or maybe his common warriors)

CW Darth Sidious

CW Ventress - or an all-new depiction of her as a Nightsister and another as a Bounty Hunter

CW Boba Fett in the black outfit (Daniel Logan wants this one made) but I count it as a re-release because only minor alterations are needed

I also support Raven and Malek coming back out.

How about the Comic 2-pack figures -Dark Horse ones - perhaps single-carded?

clone157
11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Yuuzhan Vong Warrior from the comic pack, Revan and Malak, Jaina and jacen Solo, cyborg maul from the comic pack.

JediTricks
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
If Clone Wars figures can count - they are modern -

the Firefighting Battle Droid

Tactical Droid

Thy-Sen (or maybe his common warriors)

CW Darth Sidious

CW Ventress - or an all-new depiction of her as a Nightsister and another as a Bounty Hunter

CW Boba Fett in the black outfit (Daniel Logan wants this one made) but I count it as a re-release because only minor alterations are needed

I also support Raven and Malek coming back out.

How about the Comic 2-pack figures -Dark Horse ones - perhaps single-carded?I wasn't counting CW figures only because this is in the LC2 forum, also re-releases on CW are commonplace. I could use a re-release on Seripas though before I give up entirely on that line.

LTBasker
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I feel these should be rereleased, though I'm sorry if some already have been. I haven't really followed the figures outside of the Vintage line.

- IG-88 (Concept Art - I'm not sure how hard to find this figure was, I recall keeping an eye out for it but never seeing it)
- BG-J38 "BAD" (more like terrible, regarding release)
- Dark Trooper Phase I
- Jaina Solo
- Jacen Solo
- Jet Trooper (Battlefront II pack)
- Blue Jacket Hoth Han (Repaint of VTAC Han from Battle of Hoth UBP)
- Dack Ralter (not sure if there's any demand for him, but his generic helmet and snowspeeder pilot suit body make him good fodder for more Hoth pilots)
- C-3PO (TVC)
- Gamorrean Guard (TVC)
- Wedge Antilles (TVC)*
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (TVC)
- Grand Moff Tarkin (TVC)
- Ponda Baba (TVC)
- Dr. Evazan (TVC)

* - I'm convinced the entire Oklahoma north-eastern distribution network for SW figures was sabotaged simply to make sure this figure never saw the pegs here. So, I figure rerelease and rerelease and rerelease it until it can no longer be kept from me. :P

JediTricks
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Good list.

Concept IG-88 was pretty hard to find, they re-released Cody from that wave but the rest got only a small release.

BG-J38 really does need a re-release, that whole wave got short-shelved at TRU.

LTBasker
11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I never saw anything from the wave aside from the rereleased figures like Obi-Wan that had BG-J38 parts.

Tycho
11-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Good list.

BG-J38 really does need a re-release, that whole wave got short-shelved at TRU.

It could have been the fault of EU fans like me. I was so excited to get my first Jaina and Jacen Solo figures, that I bought 10 of Jacen and 11 of Jaina. I think it took multiple trips and I ordered some online, but EU fans I know also hoarded them.

And BTW, since the interview with Carrie Fisher where she said she's going to be Mrs. Leia Organa-Solo in Episode 7, I think there's a stronger chance of seeing a 30-something (or late 20's) Jaina Solo (Jacen and Anakin would be dead at that point...unless they keep the EU characters and re-write their history? NO!-NO!-NO!)

Anyway, I want Jaina and Jacen in different outfits. They really became the main characters of the (almost) furthest in the future EU Star Wars, though I know some of you would buy the re-releases.

I'm not sure about all of you guys. Who is and is not a Jaina / Jacen Solo fan here?

bigbarada
11-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Who is and is not a Jaina / Jacen Solo fan here?

I'm indifferent to both of them, so I guess that makes me not a fan.

Tycho
12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Please define indifferent (BigB, but anyone else, as well):

a) You enjoyed Timothy Zahn's Heir To The Empire trilogy back in 1991 (the first new SW offered since the OT really) and liked that series and Jaina and Jacen coming as a result of it, only seemed natural.

b) You never read the books but find it logical that Han and Leia would marry and have children, and they have to be called something, so it may as well be Jaina and Jacen, but you're not invested in the characters' personalities (nor Anakin Solo's either - originally from Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire series).

c) You think that Han and Leia might have kids, but they would NOT inherit the Skywalker ability to access the Force. Or that one of the twins (Leia) would also have twins (Jacen and Jaina) is not sitting as being realistic to you.

d) Personally, Star Wars was over to you after Palpatine was slain and Vader redeemed. Somehow, all the other corruput and tyrannical sector governors, star destroyer captains and outpost commanders either just surrendered or walked away from their assignments to go see the Modal Nodes tour. (So will new movies 7,8,9, and thereafter count at all to you?) But nevertheless, if others here enjoy the post-ROTJ books, you're happy for them but it's not cannon to him (even with understanding that the Exp. Univ. has to conform to a usually carefully monitored continuity, so anytime 6 years after ROTJ, Leia must have children, and 21 years after ROTJ, Luke has been married to Mara and are expecting Ben.)

Follow-up: Seriously, if the new movies REALLY DO take into account the Exp. Univ., and Jaina is in the movie at 32 years old and Ben Skywalker is 16, training to be a knight, and Allanah Solo is 7 years old (daughter of the now-deceased Darth Caedus), would you go back and read the post-ROTJ comics and books? (or re-read them if you've already read them)?

Interesting, Obi-Wan is 15 years older than Anakin who we first meet at age 9.

Jaina (32) is approx. 15 years older than Ben (age 16), who is 9 years older than his cousin Allanah (who lives with grandma Leia and grandpa Han - as her mother Tenel Ka, is a Hapan Queen living under the threat of assasination).

Luke and Leia will be about 60, and Han about 70 years old.

If they make the OT heroes 10 years younger, the Yuuzhan Vong war would still be on, Ben not yet born or but a baby, Mara Jade Skywalker would be alive, Jacen Solo alive as well and a Jedi Knight in his 20's, along with his sister. Anakin Solo might also be alive and in his late teens. (He is eighteen months younger than the twins).

BACK ON TOPIC: I've recently re-read the Knights of the Old Republic comic series. I haven't really played the game, but I'm getting interested now.

I would like to see ALL NEW FIGURES of Revan and Malak:

Revan has long dark hair and is male. It's been established in the John Jackson Miller novel (great author btw) simply titled "Revan." His new figure should have two heads or a softgoods hood to his cloak which can hide his long hair and a addable and subtractable Mandaorian mask to create his definative look. The figure Hasbro made was too much plastic shell for my taste. But I actually didn't buy him back in the day, even when I found him several times, because I didn't know anything about the character. Now that I do, I want a better character.

Malak - also needs a better figure. With 3 interchangeable heads: normal with regular hair to be the good-lookin' ladies man Jedi Alek (Squint). His scared, shaved head look, but jaw intact, from when Demogal got done with him during Alek's capture by the Mandalorians. And finally, the definitive Darth Malak look with the removeable mouth guard, the way the original figure was made. However, there'd be a softgoods cloak accessorizing the figure, as well as lightsaber hilts lit and unlit, plus his pilot's helmet.

HK-47 ought to come out as a carded figure, too.

LTBasker
12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Oh I forgot to reply to that. I grew fond of Jacen and Jaina (and the other characters, of course) from reading Anderson's Young Jedi Knights series, so although the figures aren't based on the YJK books I still would like to get them at some point. I don't think they'll ever make YJK-specific versions, and I'm not really sure there would be any significant reason for them do so since there don't seem to be too many fans of the series.

Tycho
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
This response is for Basker. Please see my question in my immediately prior post (BigBarada et all).

LtBasker, I think the Jacen Solo figure is as he's depicted in YJK, sort of. In NJO, he's matures from 16 to 21, thereabouts.

But he wears a training outfit similar to Luke's Bespin outfit, presumably because that's what Luke thought new young Jedi ought to train in, just as he did.

Now Jacen was about 14 in the YJK series and his action figure seems to imply he's older (closer to his early 20's).

Jaina is another case altogether. I did not see cannon material showing her to wear Old Republic style Jedi robes. I can't recollect her wearing that attire at all.

At 13-14, Jaina also wore the Bespin style outfit, hers fitting similarly to Bespin Escape Leia, but hosting the utility pockets like Uncle Luke's outfit in ESB.

Then at 15 or so, she wore an all-black special ops suit. If you were customizing her like this as I have, I used Catwoman's body from the Target "Dark Knight Rises" 5-pack (with Bruce Wayne's body serving for Jacen Solo, but more so like he appeared as Darth Caedus). The comic 2-pack with Luke and the blonde girl he helps in Rebel Alliance special ops between ANH and ESB (who would remind me of Chloe on Smallville) has bodies at a slightly better size to use for Jacen and Jaina, but I'm fearful I won't want to cannibalize one of my Luke figures that's actually different from his amazing amount of resculpts.

Anyway, in later years, Jaina also wore the X-wing flight suit when she became a member of Rogue Squadron, and then a Jedi pilot squadron.

Finally, the single most similar to Old Republic Jedi robes she ever wore, were dark shades of gray with black, worn by Jaina as her youngest brother died, and she was forced to confront her twin brother in lethal combat after Jacen turned to the Dark Side.

This Adi Galia get-up Hasbro made her wearing never sat right with me, but I might be mistaken.

In the end, we seem to have the YJK Jacen with a slightly older NJO head sculpt, and an unseen outfit on Jaina, with the older NJO head sculpt.

I hope we get at least 2-3 new, different figures of the siblings:

Jaina -

x-wing
tan "Bespin" fatigues
black special ops
Legacy era Jedi Knight (Jaina Fel)

Jacen -

black special ops
Darth Caedus

They could do younger head sculpts for both twins and make smaller bodies in the Bespin fatigues look, but that's not really necessary though I'd also buy those.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM

a) You enjoyed Timothy Zahn's Heir To The Empire trilogy back in 1991 (the first new SW offered since the OT really) and liked that series and Jaina and Jacen coming as a result of it, only seemed natural.

b) You never read the books but find it logical that Han and Leia would marry and have children, and they have to be called something, so it may as well be Jaina and Jacen, but you're not invested in the characters' personalities (nor Anakin Solo's either - originally from Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire series).

c) You think that Han and Leia might have kids, but they would NOT inherit the Skywalker ability to access the Force. Or that one of the twins (Leia) would also have twins (Jacen and Jaina) is not sitting as being realistic to you.

d) Personally, Star Wars was over to you after Palpatine was slain and Vader redeemed. Somehow, all the other corruput and tyrannical sector governors, star destroyer captains and outpost commanders either just surrendered or walked away from their assignments to go see the Modal Nodes tour. (So will new movies 7,8,9, and thereafter count at all to you?) But nevertheless, if others here enjoy the post-ROTJ books, you're happy for them but it's not cannon to him (even with understanding that the Exp. Univ. has to conform to a usually carefully monitored continuity, so anytime 6 years after ROTJ, Leia must have children, and 21 years after ROTJ, Luke has been married to Mara and are expecting Ben.)
I'm indifferent. I haven't read the Thrawn trilogy - I attempted to start Heir to the Empire when I was younger and couldn't get into it, though I do still own it so I might try again. From what I've seen I was never a fan of how the EU played out in a post-ROTJ galaxy for a number of reasons. I've also always been a proponent of Lucas using his universe how he sees fit and not being beholden to thousands of books, comics and video games - some of which are great, some of which are okay, and some of which are terrible - in creating his own stories. I've read a fair amount of EU stories and enjoyed them to varying degrees, but in my mind, the movies and The Clone Wars are all that are actually canon, since that's also how it is in George's mind. If they decide to use EU elements in the films or TCW, great. If not, great.

As for the Solo kids specifically, I don't have any personal connection to them as I don't think anything I've read has had them in it. I read Millennium Falcon, and Han and Leia had a granddaughter, but I don't really give two craps about her.

I'm not sure what they will do with Leia in the new films - if she trains to become a Jedi, would she be allowed to marry Han? Jedi are allowed to have relationships with other people but cannot possess them or form attachments to them, though the cold nature of the pre-Empire Jedi and the fact that Obi-Wan and Yoda were still urging Luke to simply kill Vader (and not to try to redeem him) in ROTJ shows that they didn't soften their position over the years, so maybe Luke will take the next generation of Jedi in a different, more loving direction, which would allow Leia to marry Han and have children. Or maybe Leia will continue on in politics and the rebuilding or the Republic and leave the Jedi stuff to her brother completely, meaning she could have relationships freely - then again, Padmé worried about balancing her work life and personal life so it might be difficult for Leia if she takes an even more demanding position of power.

So if they do end up having kids, I'm basically fine with anything. They could name them Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin (though I doubt they'll name another character Anakin), or they could name them something completely different. I'm more interested in them telling an interesting story.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
So back on topic, here are the recent figures that I feel should be re-released (with a few repaints and slight retools thrown in for good measure):

The Vintage Collection
*Magnaguard - A blue repaint for the ROTS 3D release would be most welcome.
*Gamorrean Guard - Even after two releases, they could easily move so many more of this amazing figure.
*Clone Trooper (AOTC) - An easy carry-forward option, I'd like several more (perhaps retooled with the ARC Trooper Commander's more proportional lower legs).
*Bastila Shan, Rebel Soldier (Echo Base Battle Gear), Ponda Baba - The entire wave was impossible to find. Video game characters always do really well, Ponda is a great figure, and I'd gladly buy a few more Echo Base troopers.
*Luke Skywalker (Lightsaber Construction) - Use a different head, add a more accurate cloak, and it's an instant great Jabba's palace version.
*Imperial Navy Commander - A nice army-builder. They could do away with the inaccurate Republic logo on the shoulder.
*Aayla Secura - One of my favorites of the last few years, and it deserves better distribution.
*Darth Malgus, Starkiller, Shae Vizla - All are good figures in and of themselves and are too high on the secondary market due to ravenous video game fans.
*Emperor's Royal Guard - Another easy carry-forward idea, with or without all the EU accessories.

The Legacy Collection
*Dark Trooper, K'Kruhk, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Shaak Ti, BG-J38 - They already got the Spacetrooper back out to retail in good numbers, and though I was lucky enough to get the figures at TRU (while another collector was also there looking for them, no less), the rest of these need to get out again somehow. Derryl said they won't be likely to appear as carry-forwards in Legacy v2, though they need to get out somehow. I do wonder if we'll be less likely to see post-ROTJ EU figures from here on out so as not to confuse people with the new trilogy coming up, similar to how they shifted focus away from the Clone Wars microseries when the new series premiered.

30th Anniversary Collection
*Darth Revan and Darth Malak - Both too hard to find, though I saw several cases show up at Walmart a few months after I ordered this wave online. See previous comments on video game characters.
*Tri-Droid - I like the design a lot, but the soft plastic has caused both of mine to sag. I know it was re-released in Saga Legends but I didn't buy any more because of this flaw.

For The Clone Wars, most of the figures that deserve re-releases are collector-focused figures from the end of each packaging variation (Bly, Magnaguard, Sidious, Seripas), but I can't see them putting any of those out again as the focus shifts pretty heavily to main characters and clones. If nothing else, they really need to get Ahsoka out in better numbers, since her Season Three figure was too difficult for most people to get and she still is a main character (I know they said that the realistic version should satisfy demand, but an online exclusive can only do so much).

Outside of TVC, there haven't been too many serious distribution issues in the last few years, and most of the best figures and army builders have already seen re-release in one way or another. And looking over the TAC figure list, they're already resculpting characters from that line to conform to the even-better standards of TVC, and anything older than that could still be a good figure but not necessarily indicative of the best Hasbro can do, so I don't know what all else is screaming for a reissue.

JediTricks
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Haven't thought about the Magnaguard in a long time. I think it'd need a redesign on the removable helmet piece and the cloth cloak, the helmet piece was hard to work with and the cloak didn't fit the way it was supposed to. Also, better accessories, but not a bad callback.

On the AOTC Clone, I agree, but I'd like to see them use that body with a newly-designed ROTS clone helmet as well, and PUT A SPACER IN THE TOP OF BOTH HELMETS! They sit too far down on the head which makes them look worse than they are.

I'm afraid you're changing so much on that Luke saber-building figure that it'd be a new item, and I agree with all of it.

I keep forgetting that the Imp Navy Commander is a figure I don't have and technically want, the hope of finding him has dwindled away. A re-release would be very nice, and with the correct logo.

So, you have no problem with the Tri Droid figure being the wrong representation, actually representing the giant droid instead of the human-sized one?

bigbarada
12-05-2012, 10:24 AM

It's hard to explain indifference. I care so little about those characters that I can barely maintain the interest necessary to explain why I care so little about that those characters. It's like trying to explain why I don't care about a product that I've never used or a food that I've never tasted. When forced to think about them, my mind flatlines because I have no experiences to draw from and that doesn't bother me at all.

It's like when you are channel-surfing. All of those TV programs that you flip past, because you have disregarded any possible interest in the subject matter based on about 2 seconds of film footage - that's indifference. Jaina and Jacen Solo are the channel on the TV that I flip past, while trying to find something that I'm interested in, and all the time not even sparing a thought as to why I'm not interested in what I've just seen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Haven't thought about the Magnaguard in a long time. I think it'd need a redesign on the removable helmet piece and the cloth cloak, the helmet piece was hard to work with and the cloak didn't fit the way it was supposed to. Also, better accessories, but not a bad callback.
I didn't have those problems with the figure but I remember that others did. Most of the figure is fine, though, so I would be happy with or without the tweaks.

On the AOTC Clone, I agree, but I'd like to see them use that body with a newly-designed ROTS clone helmet as well, and PUT A SPACER IN THE TOP OF BOTH HELMETS! They sit too far down on the head which makes them look worse than they are.
True, they definitely need a new ROTS helmet. I spoke to Derryl about this at CVI, though I dunno if it will be changed. Also I've had no issues moving the AOTC helmets up slightly and having them look much better, but a spacer would be welcome too.

I'm afraid you're changing so much on that Luke saber-building figure that it'd be a new item, and I agree with all of it.
They could just use the head from the Endor Capture version so there would be no new tooling, though they would probably have to modify something to that it could sit a little better (the Endor Capture figure seems to have a shallower hole in his head).

So, you have no problem with the Tri Droid figure being the wrong representation, actually representing the giant droid instead of the human-sized one?
I forgot about the issue on this one, but are the differences really that noticeable? The only thing I can see easily is the fact that the feet shouldn't have the claws in the back, but I can overlook that since it seems necessary to letting the figure stand at all. Wookieepedia's reference isn't very good on this one, so it's hard to tell - the droids are barely in the film anyway so I'm not too worried it.

El Chuxter
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm personally not caring much, but the Magnaguard would make sense to re-release in all the different color schemes. I'm surprised it's been "buried" the way it has. It's one of the cooler designs, and the variant colors scream for straight-up repaints.

The Battle Droid would make sense to re-release in all its myriad colors, too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Aye, you are correct, sir. They're doing the Geonosis maroon in the first wave of LC next year, but I still want to see:
*Commander - In both tan and maroon. The figure already has the commander's antenna, so why not?
*Pilot - The poor blue pilots haven't seen enough release. There's a limited-articulation one coming in a Class I ship in 2013, but a fully articulated one would be ideal.
*Security - There hasn't been a single carded one since the POTJ days - the second and most recent release was as part of a 2006 Sith Lord Attack battle pack - and it's one of the most prominent designs in both TPM and ROTS (and I only have one!).

Hopefully these will all be released as carry-forwards or in sets. I would prefer one that can hold the blaster properly, but the current one is pretty awesome otherwise.

JediTricks
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
It's hard to explain indifference. I care so little about those characters that I can barely maintain the interest necessary to explain why I care so little about that those characters. It's like trying to explain why I don't care about a product that I've never used or a food that I've never tasted. When forced to think about them, my mind flatlines because I have no experiences to draw from and that doesn't bother me at all.

It's like when you are channel-surfing. All of those TV programs that you flip past, because you have disregarded any possible interest in the subject matter based on about 2 seconds of film footage - that's indifference. Jaina and Jacen Solo are the channel on the TV that I flip past, while trying to find something that I'm interested in, and all the time not even sparing a thought as to why I'm not interested in what I've just seen.Good job, well said. I feel similarly about the Solo kids, but less eloquently so. :D

I didn't have those problems with the figure but I remember that others did. Most of the figure is fine, though, so I would be happy with or without the tweaks.The hat issue is universal, it's a design and materials issue, are you sure you didn't rework it? The cut & sew on the costume simply hangs off the shoulder, doesn't wrap around either. When was the last time you saw that figure? Perhaps it's rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia?

True, they definitely need a new ROTS helmet. I spoke to Derryl about this at CVI, though I dunno if it will be changed. Also I've had no issues moving the AOTC helmets up slightly and having them look much better, but a spacer would be welcome too.I have no issue moving the helmet either, but with a spacer it'd look good in package which would help allay the majority of complaints about it. Not only do we have carded collectors out there unhappy with the packaged look - the helmet sitting too low - but also casual consumers who may not be aware that it's easily adjustable and just leave for looking wrong.

They could just use the head from the Endor Capture version so there would be no new tooling, though they would probably have to modify something to that it could sit a little better (the Endor Capture figure seems to have a shallower hole in his head).The torso on the Endor Capture figure is different, I wasn't even aware the heads were swappable, but that's probably why it'd have a shallower cavity. I forgot that the saber-building figure had its hair mirrored, otherwise it'd be keeping rather than mucking with.

I forgot about the issue on this one, but are the differences really that noticeable? The only thing I can see easily is the fact that the feet shouldn't have the claws in the back, but I can overlook that since it seems necessary to letting the figure stand at all. Wookieepedia's reference isn't very good on this one, so it's hard to tell - the droids are barely in the film anyway so I'm not too worried it.Really? You don't see it?
3.6m tall Octuptarra Droid: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060703083255/starwars/images/1/1a/Octuptarra_droid.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090315141840/starwars/images/8/88/Octuptarra_on_Utapau.jpg

15m tall Tri-Droid: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071013151737/starwars/images/e/e0/Octuptarra_negtd.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061221191950/starwars/images/5/5b/Tri-droid-CHRON.jpg

Note that the little guy has hooves instead of fat claws; thinner limbs; a single eye per cannon; longer cannons attached at a higher point; a more bulbous globe head; a different "core" lower body; no external pistons; and the figure we have is even the wrong color. Sure, it's passable since they're foolishly based on the same CGI model, but they really are somewhat different.

I'm personally not caring much, but the Magnaguard would make sense to re-release in all the different color schemes. I'm surprised it's been "buried" the way it has. It's one of the cooler designs, and the variant colors scream for straight-up repaints.

Aye, you are correct, sir. They're doing the Geonosis maroon in the first wave of LC next year, but I still want to see:
*Commander - In both tan and maroon. The figure already has the commander's antenna, so why not?
*Pilot - The poor blue pilots haven't seen enough release. There's a limited-articulation one coming in a Class I ship in 2013, but a fully articulated one would be ideal.
*Security - There hasn't been a single carded one since the POTJ days - the second and most recent release was as part of a 2006 Sith Lord Attack battle pack - and it's one of the most prominent designs in both TPM and ROTS (and I only have one!).

Hopefully these will all be released as carry-forwards or in sets. I would prefer one that can hold the blaster properly, but the current one is pretty awesome otherwise.I'm on board with this line of thought from you guys. A white and a blue Mangaguard the way the Clone Wars had would be good; and I'd really like to see all those BDs released - and if they do a security droid, then definitely alternate arms to 2-hand wield the blaster.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2012, 01:50 AM
The hat issue is universal, it's a design and materials issue, are you sure you didn't rework it? The cut & sew on the costume simply hangs off the shoulder, doesn't wrap around either. When was the last time you saw that figure? Perhaps it's rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia?
My nostalgia glasses take longer than two years to get their rose-colored tint, so I know it can't be that. :p I haven't looked at the figure much lately, but I remember that people would put the figure's "mouth" underneath the head-wrap piece instead of over it - Rebelscum's photo archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC18Magna.asp) has it positioned incorrectly, and it looks like it was packaged incorrectly, but I also remember it not being THAT hard to correct. A little inconvenient, perhaps, but not worth a complete overhaul. And yeah, the soft goods don't hang as well as they should, but soft goods are hardly ever perfect and I just hooked it to the bottom of my figure's legs to spread it out and it looks fine.

Really? You don't see it?
3.6m tall Octuptarra Droid: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060703083255/starwars/images/1/1a/Octuptarra_droid.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090315141840/starwars/images/8/88/Octuptarra_on_Utapau.jpg

15m tall Tri-Droid: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071013151737/starwars/images/e/e0/Octuptarra_negtd.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061221191950/starwars/images/5/5b/Tri-droid-CHRON.jpg

Note that the little guy has hooves instead of fat claws; thinner limbs; a single eye per cannon; longer cannons attached at a higher point; a more bulbous globe head; a different "core" lower body; no external pistons; and the figure we have is even the wrong color. Sure, it's passable since they're foolishly based on the same CGI model, but they really are somewhat different.
I do see the differences more clearly now, and comparing them to the figure itself (http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC0805tridroid.asp) - the color seems fine to me, though. Maybe if the droid had more than a split second of screen time these things would be more bothersome to me, but I can't see them updating the figure at all though I would like a re-release.

JediTricks
12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
My nostalgia glasses take longer than two years to get their rose-colored tint, so I know it can't be that. :p I haven't looked at the figure much lately, but I remember that people would put the figure's "mouth" underneath the head-wrap piece instead of over it - Rebelscum's photo archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC18Magna.asp) has it positioned incorrectly, and it looks like it was packaged incorrectly, but I also remember it not being THAT hard to correct. A little inconvenient, perhaps, but not worth a complete overhaul. And yeah, the soft goods don't hang as well as they should, but soft goods are hardly ever perfect and I just hooked it to the bottom of my figure's legs to spread it out and it looks fine.They only feel like they take longer because you're used to being younger, but now that you're officially part of the geezerdom in your 20s ;) it's going to be quicker and quicker.

People didn't put the "mouth" under the head wrap, it was packaged that way and most people couldn't get it fixed, it was very difficult to fix.

That link reminded me of how short that figure is, it's shorter than Obi-Wan when it should be at least a head taller, so perhaps it's not a figure we should re-release but instead redo yet again.

I do see the differences more clearly now, and comparing them to the figure itself (http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC0805tridroid.asp) - the color seems fine to me, though. Maybe if the droid had more than a split second of screen time these things would be more bothersome to me, but I can't see them updating the figure at all though I would like a re-release.Too much blue areas, not enough copper areas.

Why a re-release of a droid that only had a split second of screentime then?

jedibear
12-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I like JabbaJohn's list a lot...hits all the high marks I can think of...but of course, I can think of a few more...

Vintage Collection - re-visit Grievous using better (not soft) plastic please...include more saber hilts

CW - I'd like to see the Commando Droids make a comeback - some alternate decos could be cool.

30th Anniversary - just the whole concept of figures with over-sized, over-the-top accessories would be great to see again...

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I am always in favor of mail-aways. Find someone who was in ROJ who hasn't been in 3 3/4" size yet for the this year's 30th anniversary of it, slap a sticker on some pegwarmers, and 6 POPs later, I gots me a... a... um... Hmm.

Snowtrooper
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd like to see INC re-released in big numbers. I only managed to get one to keep carded and never even got an opener.

JediTricks
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Vintage Collection - re-visit Grievous using better (not soft) plastic please...include more saber hiltsSeriously like this idea!

30th Anniversary - just the whole concept of figures with over-sized, over-the-top accessories would be great to see again...Yeah, the Luke Vaporator, the bar pieces, those were great elements, that concept should come back.

I am always in favor of mail-aways. Find someone who was in ROJ who hasn't been in 3 3/4" size yet for the this year's 30th anniversary of it, slap a sticker on some pegwarmers, and 6 POPs later, I gots me a... a... um... Hmm.Not really a figure re-release that way, but I do hear ya. There's a lot of lesser guys in there, but Klaatu, Barada, or Sgt. Doallyn would be my top choices there.

I'd like to see INC re-released in big numbers. I only managed to get one to keep carded and never even got an opener.Yeah, I have zero of these, totally gave up hope, would like to see a chance at getting one.