PDA

View Full Version : Which characters could/should return for the new trilogy?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
George has outlines, but they're still working on the story, so even though we know absolutely nothing about the new trilogy's plot, it's time to start the speculation. Even if it has nothing to do with the Skywalkers or their offspring, it's a good bet that the sequel trilogy (ST?) will at least have cameos from preexisting characters. In what capacity they should be used, or if they should be used at all, is up for debate - but who might they include?

*R2-D2 and C-3PO - Some people felt they were shoehorned into the PT, but I can't imagine films completely without them. Maybe it could be about their new owners? Anthony Daniels is always ready and willing to play C-3PO, too, though he may want to just do the voice by the time they go into production. They'd probably go with a mix of CGI and remote control for R2-D2, as they did on ROTS. Plus it's not like there's an aging factor to worry about with the droids.
*Jedi Spirits - It's not outside the realm of possibility to have Hayden as Anakin, Yoda, Liam as Qui-Gon, or even Ewan (who mentioned his interest on Twitter) as Obi-Wan appear to the Jedi as spirits, even briefly.
*Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill also Tweeted his interest, and he mentioned at CV how George had asked him (I presumed it was a long time ago, but it could have been more recently) to appear in the sequel(s) and pass the torch to the new generation of Jedi. The trilogy doesn't have to be about him or his family, but I would like for him to make an appearance as a Jedi Master.
*Leia Organa - With the established EU likely going out the window, the last we saw Leia, she had learned that she came from a family of Jedi but was hesitant about acknowledging her powers. Could she be on a reformed Jedi Council with Luke?
*Han Solo - Harrison Ford has said he has no intent to return to play Han Solo, not finding him as interesting as Indiana Jones, but that was before the new movies were announced. With Episode VII coming seven years after Crystal Skull, I doubt he'd have an action-related role, but he could possibly appear.
*Lando Calrissian - It seems they haven't given him a ton to do in the EU, but Billy Dee has done the voice for Robot Chicken and Detours, so it's possible he could appear in the actual films.
*Chewbacca - Though he died in the EU, Chewie has turned up again in ROTS and TCW, with involvement from Peter Mayhew on both.
*Clone Troopers/Stormtroopers - It could be interesting to see Temuera Morrison as an aged clone to see how they have reintegrated into society in peacetime, unless all the clones died by ROTJ.
*Jar Jar Binks - I somehow doubt this. :p
*Darth Maul - Even though he's alive on TCW, I assume he'll be killed by the end of the series, and I doubt they'll reintroduce him to the films.
*Rebel Leaders - Wedge Antilles, Mon Mothma, and Admiral Ackbar could be involved in leading the new Republic. Hell, even Wicket could show up and blink for a few minutes. ;)
*Bounty Hunters - Darth Maul survived getting cut in half, so Boba Fett could surely survive the Sarlacc. We also don't know the fates of Cad Bane, Aurra Sing, or Asajj Ventress, so any of them (or any of the hunters from ESB) could appear as well.
*Ahsoka Tano - Who knows? They might go nuts and have her survive the Clone Wars, only to reappear decades later to help the Jedi.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-01-2012, 12:18 AM
MUSTS:
- R2 and Threepio (it was once said, although it seems NOTHING that was said before was true or false or misleading or true or false or misleading or untrue, that the story of SW was to be told through their eyes)
- Jedi (whether that's Luke and/or his descendants, or other Force users)

PROBABLIES:
- Leia (she is basically the only female left that has a connection to the OT)
- Sith (I think this makes more sense than continuing the Empire as the main baddies)
- Chewbacca (even without Han, his age allows him to fit in anywhere)
- some Rebels (like Wedge, Madine, Tycho, Nien, etc.)

NOS:
- Boba Fett (let him live in the EU, but stay out of the DT [Disney Trilogy] please)
- Han (his age in the EU stories always gets me; he must have an awesome physical trainer/steriods provider)
- Lando (see Han's comments)
- Ewoks (they served their purpose in ROJ)

COULD-CARE-LESSES:
- Jar Jar
- Ahsoka
- Dash Rendar
- Imperial officers

Expanded Universe Characters I Wouldn't Mind Seeing:
- Thrawn
- Solo children
- Winter
- Kyp Durron, Corran Horn
- Mara Jade

Expanded Universe Characters I Would NOT Want Included:
- Clone Emperor
- Darth Cadeus
- Lumiya
- Yuuzhan Vong

Darth Metalmute
11-01-2012, 12:29 AM
*Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill also Tweeted his interest, and he mentioned at CV how George had asked him (I presumed it was a long time ago, but it could have been more recently) to appear in the sequel(s) and pass the torch to the new generation of Jedi. The trilogy doesn't have to be about him or his family, but I would like for him to make an appearance as a Jedi Master.

I completely disagree. For the new trilogy to be called Episode 7, 8, and 9; it has to be about Luke Skywalker and his family. There has to be a connection or they should start a new branch of Star Wars. Compare it to Star Trek. When Kirk was out of the picture, it became ST: Next Generation and ST: Deep Space Nine. Even Star Wars uses Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic.

While I would love the Thrawn Trilogy, as long as they keep it in the family, I will probably be okay with it. However, as soon as Cade Skywalker makes an appearance, I'm out.

El Chuxter
11-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Jaxxon

Teek

:p

In all seriousness, I want Jar Jar. No joke. Even if he's long dead and it's a line about his legacy. We're owed a payoff, story-wise, for his bullcrap in TPM. He was set up to be a prankster figure, potentially beginning his own Campbell-style hero's journey, and we never got anything because Lucas flaked when fans hated the character. He needed to either save the galaxy or die a hero in ROTS, and we were cheated out of that.

I'm not joking. He sucks, but he was intended to grow out of it. Unfortunately, the character never matured. He got more authority as a senator, but he was still the same twit who stepped in poop as a gag.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Jaxxon

Teek

:p

In all seriousness, I want Jar Jar. No joke. Even if he's long dead and it's a line about his legacy. We're owed a payoff, story-wise, for his bullcrap in TPM. He was set up to be a prankster figure, potentially beginning his own Campbell-style hero's journey, and we never got anything because Lucas flaked when fans hated the character. He needed to either save the galaxy or die a hero in ROTS, and we were cheated out of that.

I'm not joking. He sucks, but he was intended to grow out of it. Unfortunately, the character never matured. He got more authority as a senator, but he was still the same twit who stepped in poop as a gag.
The "payoff" within TPM is the fact that he leads Padmé to unite the humans and Gungans, bringing peace to their cultures and helping to repel the Trade Federation.

Looking broader than that, he did grant Palpatine the powers to authorize the Clone Wars - though it was a short scene in the film, the importance of that can't really be overlooked, even though they never followed up on Jar Jar's role in ROTS. So maybe the ramifications of his actions - especially after Palpatine became Emperor - would be interesting to get into.

El Chuxter
11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
But Jar Jar authorizing Palpatine is another example of him being a bumbling fool--playing right into the villain's hands, and even talking like a half-wit ("dellow felegates").

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2012, 10:59 PM
But Jar Jar authorizing Palpatine is another example of him being a bumbling fool--playing right into the villain's hands, and even talking like a half-wit ("dellow felegates").
To a point, but granting ultimate emergency powers to the most evil Sith lord of all time is a little different than stepping in bantha poodoo or having rude table manners.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't have led to something more, or that it still couldn't, but I'm saying that it already does lead to at least something of significance.

El Chuxter
11-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I dunno. For me, one of the biggest flaws with ROTS is that Jar Jar's story wasn't resolved. He needed to do one of three things: 1) deliver one of the twins to its surrogate parents, 2) step up and do something else right, or 3) die spectacularly. I don't say #3 out of dislike for the character; I rather expected Padme and Obi-Wan to think Anakin could still be saved until he killed Jar Jar.

bigbarada
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I dunno. For me, one of the biggest flaws with ROTS is that Jar Jar's story wasn't resolved. He needed to do one of three things: 1) deliver one of the twins to its surrogate parents, 2) step up and do something else right, or 3) die spectacularly. I don't say #3 out of dislike for the character; I rather expected Padme and Obi-Wan to think Anakin could still be saved until he killed Jar Jar.

I agree, Lucas could have salvaged the character and given audiences a pay off for enduring his antics in TPM, but he caved to fan pressure and second-guessed himself, so that Jar Jar became increasingly useless in each film. If the character had an actual story arc, then maybe he wouldn't still be so hated.

If we had actually seen him grow into someone who was competent, dignified and possibly even heroic by the end of the Prequels, then that would have justified most of the nonsense and scatalogical humor from Ep1.

JediTricks
11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I think the prequels could have worked without the droids, they didn't have as much to do with the main plots of each film and they weren't together as much so they weren't there as the comic relief either.

I definitely would want Luke, Leia and Han. I wouldn't mind having Lando and Chewie as well, but I also wouldn't mind if they each were off doing their own thing either. Honestly, as much as Chewie is great, there should be more to Han by now than needing to keep Chewie around all the time.

Leia I'm torn on the Jedi thing, she has it in her family but she's always been good at pistols and Rebellion stuff, not sabers and the Force. Also, if Luke was too old to begin the training in ESB for fear of it corrupting his Jedi soul (which it almost entirely did until he broke through), then Leia's taking on of the Force would definitely find a lot of darkness come out. I've in the past thought of Leia potentially becoming a great villain for a series of sequels, and our heroes have to work to save her rather than destroy her, but it's asking a lot for the character.

Jedi Spirits I'm not sure I'm on board with, part of me would like more input from Obi-Wan, but at some point it seems like they need to move on and become truly one with the Force rather than clinging to helping our heroes over and over. I could possibly tolerate more Yoda but his voice has been diminished by the prequel-era material too much for me to get as interested. I would definitely not want to hear another peep from Haydenspirit though, he should really have nothing to offer whatsoever as he is shown to be the personae that was younger than any of the heroes at the end of ROTJ, and he was kinda stupid and arrogant and not terribly good at his job of being a sage Jedi wizard before he was turned to the Dark Side.

I think all Jango clones were supposed to have died by ANH even since they had accelerated aging to contend with, The Clone Wars has dealt with that a little I think, but the canon is up in the air now. Stormtroopers being conscripts and willing troops suggests they'd still be around if there was any Imperial power left to utilize them, but with the powerbase of the Empire fractured and destroyed, I don't think there'd be any resources to create more clones.

Jar Jar offers nothing, he's just a guy apparently and his time ended, so whether or not he'd be too old, he'd certainly have nothing to say.

Bounty Hunters, part of me thinks it's time to put Boba's final state to rest one way or the other, but I don't really think a greater focus on the ESB/ROTJ hunters is strictly necessary, it'd be a pointless cameo or worse. Still, the concept has legs and IG-88, 4-LOM, Bossk, and Zuckuss could plausibly be around the future. Of course, are these the bounty hunters of the OT hunting bounties and waiting around for jobs, or the bounty hunters of the prequel era movies and tv that are essentially just assassins and mercenaries?

Ahsoka needs to not be in the OT or post-OT era, if only to keep from having the audience wonder why the hell wasn't she instrumental in helping Luke and the Rebellion?

PROBABLIES:
- Sith (I think this makes more sense than continuing the Empire as the main baddies)I could not disagree more, you bring back the Sith and you negate the entirety of the PT and OT. Why spend an entirely lifetime bringing balance to the Force through an eons-old prophecy if only to have it reversed in a single generation? I could live with Dark Side poseurs, but not the actual Sith, and surely not as the chief villains.

NOS:
- Han (his age in the EU stories always gets me; he must have an awesome physical trainer/steriods provider)
- Lando (see Han's comments)You're assuming that this New Trilogy (NT) will take place 30 or so years after the OT, what if it only takes place 10 years or 15 years after? Harrison Ford and other actors have been making plausible action films in their 50s.

Expanded Universe Characters I Would NOT Want Included:
- Clone Emperor
- Darth Cadeus
- Lumiya
- Yuuzhan VongNow we agree on something wholeheartedly.

I'm not joking. He sucks, but he was intended to grow out of it. Unfortunately, the character never matured. He got more authority as a senator, but he was still the same twit who stepped in poop as a gag.You're overstating Jar Jar's importance to the Star Wars saga. He was somewhat important to the events of TPM, but that's really just a story about 1 little planet, in the global scale he doesn't matter whatsoever, he's no more important to the greater galactic tale than Wuher or Yarna or Lobot or Watto - they're all just people, they live and die their little lives, occasionally they intersect with the major players but are otherwise unremarkable. Wuher went on to tend bar and nothing else important happened. Yarna couldn't get a job shaking it anywhere else so she went to live in a retirement home. Lobot was an assistant to the next Cloud City administrator. Watto remained a small-timer whose greatest days were from around TPM. Jar Jar went back to his apartment and cried a little then collected his congressional retirement paychecks until he returned to Naboo, crawled into the swamp, and let the tadpoles eat his body as in the Gungan funereal rites.

He's a meaningless nobody after TPM, had he not been in the senate chambers during AOTC then Palpatine would have just used someone else instead. From a story perspective, Jar Jar becomes a meaningless drone once the story moves beyond just Naboo's needs, to put him anywhere else is to shoehorn him in - what part of the character's presence in TPM suggests he should rise to greatness, aside from a touch of loyalty to his friends and making him a general based solely on a few good intentions and significantly fortunate mistakes? Bottom line: Jar Jar didn't get a completed story arc in ROTS because he didn't have a story to arc off of, his story ended in TPM. It's not like there was a suggestion that he'd continue on to become a great leader or a wicked bounty hunter or a cruel taskmaster or ANYTHING, he was a half-baked character whose role was to lead our heroes from the swamps of Naboo through the seas and then bridge their relations back to the swamps of Naboo, Jar Jar is basically the cable guy - he did a job and then when it was done he didn't hang around or go slay a dragon or go on a great quest, he just went on with his regular life.

Not everybody is special all the time, sometimes folks are just special for an important moment then go back to being ordinary. Jar Jar was on the path to nowheresville, he was an aimless drifter not terribly unhappy to be exiled from Otoh Gunga and live on its outskirts. He wasn't written with any real thought given to who he was or where he came from, so there wasn't really anywhere for him to go.

El Chuxter
11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
From a story perspective, though, I'd argue Jar Jar was originally intended for greatness. He plays too big a role in TPM to just fade out the way he does. Logically, he should've gone back to Otoh Gunga, but his winding up in the Senate but just playing the dupe once shows he was supposed to stick around, probably to mature and wind up a less loathsome hero or martyr.

I really think, though he'd deny it to his dying day, George caved in to fanboy griping and cut Jar Jar back significantly.

bigbarada
11-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I really think, though he'd deny it to his dying day, George caved in to fanboy griping and cut Jar Jar back significantly.

I'm 100% convinced that's exactly what happened. I totally believe that Jar Jar was originally intended to be the "Chewbacca" of the Prequel trilogy and have a key action role in each film, ultimately redeeming himself and becoming a hero that everyone could root for (whether that would have actually happened or not is debatable, but I'm sure it was the intent). However, I think Lucas was so stung by the overwhelming negative reaction to Ep1 that he began to second guess himself and did some major rewrites to Ep2 and 3.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I could not disagree more, you bring back the Sith and you negate the entirety of the PT and OT. Why spend an entirely lifetime bringing balance to the Force through an eons-old prophecy if only to have it reversed in a single generation? I could live with Dark Side poseurs, but not the actual Sith, and surely not as the chief villains.

You're assuming that this New Trilogy (NT) will take place 30 or so years after the OT, what if it only takes place 10 years or 15 years after? Harrison Ford and other actors have been making plausible action films in their 50s.

Now we agree on something wholeheartedly.Well, while I agree with the original idea of Luke-resurrects-the-Jedi-and-vanquishes-the-Sith from the OT, continuing the series BEYOND that idea now seems to weaken that concept anyway. So, having the defeated Empire, or the "next" Empire rise is just as weak an idea. Pockets of hidden Jedi probably did survive, and possibly other Sith, too. I'm not sure how I feel, really.

I wasn't assuming a year basis for the DT (Disney Trilogy) movies, but I guessed it might be at least 10-20 years later. Mebbe; I dunno. :confused:

What? What did you spekk? Whatsa dis "agree" yousa talkin about? :p

2-1B
11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Definitely what Chux said about Teek. That's a no-brainer right there since the last episode ended with him stranded on Endor.

Tycho
11-11-2012, 06:05 AM
The biggest flaw of ROTS was that Padme "died of a broken heart."

I would have had Anakin accidentally Force-throw her too hard and impale her on something in such away that she lived long enough to have the twins by C-section.

Or - BETTER YET - I would have had a handmaiden (Dorme for example) - be made to look pregnant and taken away at the funeral, while Padme and Leia are smuggled out to Alderaan.

She is either still alive and Leia thought she died - but fled for some greater good - or she is killed later - after she lived on Alderaan when Leia was very young. Ironically and without him knowing it, she is killed by Vader if that were the case.

However, if she is still alive, a different actress could portray her.

Meanwhile, what about Anne Hathaway as Jaina Solo?

I want the Post ROTJ EU preserved. So who do I want in the movies:

Alanah Solo
Jaina Solo-Fel
Jagged Fel
Soontir Fel
Wynessa Starflare (Antilles)
Ben Skywalker
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
Leia Organa-Solo
Lando Calrissian
Wedge Antilles
Tycho Celchu
Corran Horn
Gavin Darklighter
Tionne
Kam Solasar
Droma
Talon Karrde
R2-D2
C-3PO
Yuuzhan Vong survivors
Boba Fett
new Mandalorians

bigbarada
11-11-2012, 04:05 PM
The biggest flaw of ROTS was that Padme "died of a broken heart."

I would have had Anakin accidentally Force-throw her too hard and impale her on something in such away that she lived long enough to have the twins by C-section.

They could have had her actually die at Anakin's hand and it was only the advanced technology of the Star Wars universe that allowed the twins to survive long enough to be born by C-section (although something like that wouldn't necessarily be out of the realm of today's medical science). That would have only left the problem of Leia saying that she remembered seeing her mother, however, I don't believe that Ep3 addressed that in a satisfactory manner either.

I always liked the idea of Padme faking her death and changing her name to Mon Mothma to secretly lead the Rebellion. Since Mon Mothma's Ep3 appearance ended up on the cutting room floor, that's still not outside the realm of possibility. The only thing missing would be some kind of resolution with Padme revealing her identity to Luke and Leia. Something that Ep7 could handle quite well.

JimJamBonds
09-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Definitely what Chux said about Teek. That's a no-brainer right there since the last episode ended with him stranded on Endor.

I (also) agree, we need some closure on the Teek issue.

sith_killer_99
09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Meesa tink Jar Jar Binks...Sith Lord! Ani's betrayal pushed him over the edge. He sounds more like Boss Nass and wears armor similar to Captain Tarpals, only black, and he carries an energy shield like the Gungan warriors whos cold dead hands he pried them from after slaughtering them with his orange lightsaber! His ears are now closely cropped and he sports a scar on his left cheek, just below his eye, and a goatee...beacuse evil Jar Jar MUST have a goatee!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
According to Comicbook.com (http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/09/14/mark-hamill-in-training-for-star-wars-episode-vii-according-to-his-friend-robert-englund/), Robert Englund mentioned Mark Hamill being in training for Episode VII:

"Mark now—they’ve got Mark in the gym, because Mark’s coming back as Luke Skywalker. They’ve got him doing his sit ups."

It was actually Englund who told Hamill about the Star Wars auditions in the first place - they've both told the story at conventions previously, and seem to still be friends. So I believe this is very likely legit, and pretty exciting!

El Chuxter
09-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Forget Mark. I want Robert Englund in the sequels!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Two words: lightsaber glove. :D

Tycho
09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I think it's a given that Mark Carrie and Harrison will return and possibly Billy Dee.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Bad Robot just tweeted a photo (https://twitter.com/bad_robot/status/401077191087095808/photo/1) of Abrams, Kennedy, and a few others standing with R2-D2 with the caption "Hi from the workshop! #StarWarsVII". I think it's fairly safe to say that R2-D2 will be back! I'm trying to keep an open mind and not have too many opinions on what HAS to happen in Episode VII, but R2's return is one of the things I personally feel is really important to the overall saga, so I'm very glad to see this.

Tycho
11-15-2013, 04:35 PM
R2D2 and C-3PO will be in every film.

I'm interested (and hoping) they'll leave the EU intact and do the stories beyond the current timeline.

Harrison, Carrie, and Mark are age-appropriate for those roles.

The key indicator is Chewie being dead.

They can cast Chewie for a BETWEEN-MOVIE one shot film as they have a Han Solo one planned.

Then you'll see Han and Chewie.

Also,

Jacen Solo (and Anakin Solo) should be already dead.

Jaina will have no siblings in E7.

If Han and Leia have a grandchild, there should be one, Alanah Solo.

2 important clues:

a) the Legacy comics have gone on to Ania Solo who would have to be Alanah's great-grand-daughter!

If you look at the children's generational lineage from the Skywalkers:

Ben Skywalker (Luke's son)
x ? Skywalker
x ? Skywalker
Cole Skywalker (and Bantha?)
Cade Skywalker

Now does every Solo child from Jacen's line have children out of wedlock? Or could there be two Solo boys, Ania's father and grandfather? Her great-grandmother would have to be Alanah (Jacen's daughter) and Jacen is Ben Skywalker's first cousin.

b) Del Rey has commissioned a 3-book trilogy about Jaina Solo post-fall of Darth Caedus. She may now be referred to as Empress Jaina Fel, her married name and title, and Captain of the Imperial Knights.

If Abrams says he is NOT using anything from the books, and since they've been done, then Jacen should be dead before the roll-up of E7's title crawl or his death at his sisters hands should start the movie the same way Count Dooku's death started ROTS.

In the new Jaina Fel trilogy, her reasons for becoming the (good) Empress of the Imperial Remnant will probably hinge a lot on her having to kill her own twin brother and the fallout of her relationship with Han and Leia.

1) Han and Leia may not want anything more to do with Jaina.

2) They are trying to raise their granddaughter Alanah to be nothing like their daughter.

3) Luke will teach his son Ben that Jaina is NOT the example to follow.

Jaina is not and never will be the enemy or a Sith.

She will be the new "rogue" embodied by a Solo. All too fitting.

E7 may or may not focus on her now the more that I think about it. I think she could be a full Jedi trained ally for Ben Skywalker if she's not the lead in E7.

Or Ben will not be the lead until E8.

Jaina may have a love triangle with Jagged Fel (if they are not married when this film starts) and Zekk (Dark Jedi) who might become the enemy and could be the not-necessarily white cast member that's athletic that they're casting for.

If Tenel Ka (Jacen Solo's surviving wife and Alanah's mother) is in this film, I wonder if she will have a prosthetic arm? I thought it was bold of the character to refuse one in the books (Jacen cut her arm off but it was an accident and before they were involved romantically).

Tenel Ka was half-(good) Nightsister and half Hapan Empire royalty.

El Chuxter
11-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I would hope they'd chuck the entire Legacy fustercluck out the window if they're going into that era. That's just one big ball of suck that justifies every complaint about the EU.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I would hope they'd chuck the entire Legacy fustercluck out the window if they're going into that era. That's just one big ball of suck that justifies every complaint about the EU.
Precisely. And EU fans really should just not get their hopes up at ALL in terms of the new films following the EU. Lucasfilm considers the films and The Clone Wars to be canon, and that's it - Pablo Hidalgo, who's now part of the story group, frequently mentions this online.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey, as long as Jaxxon or Teek get a drum solo in the cantina, anything else they do is fine by me.

Tycho
11-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Grrrr.

I do not want them discounting Heir To The Empire (Thrawn series).

Jaina Solo was born during this (as well as better-leave-dead-Jacen Solo).

Chewie can return in the between movies - the young Han Solo one especially and does not need to be in 7,8, & 9.

That's really all that needs to be catered to and those of us invested in the EU, and those at Lucasfilm who can still profit from older book sales - can continue with our Expanded Universe indulgence.

However, I do want to see Force-wielding Imperial Knights led by their commander Empress Jaina Fel!

Royal Guards with lightsabers? A woman warrior leader for them? You guys have to admit that's cool!

Oh -and then the part where she strips off the red armor and appears in a bikin and there's fire and explosions and more lightsaber battles and ....

Oh yeah.

The Rise of the Empress Jaina Fel! Do it!

Darth Metalmute
11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
The Thrawn Series is the only thing I hope they don't discount. After that, I'm okay with it all. Not that i hated the EU, quite the opposite, just it will be hard for them to tell any story at all if the story takes place in between what EU has been written and what Eu is too be written.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Okay, as one who's read just about every EU story in book form, here are my two credits, but it's by no means a complete list... (LISTS... :drool: )
(* = roughly in the Episode VII era)

GREAT EXPANDED UNIVERSE CHARACTERS:
- Corran Horn *
- Mara Jade *
- Grand Admiral Thrawn *
- Gilad Pellaeon *
- Darth Bane
- Nomi Sunrider
- Exar Kun
- Kyp Durron *
- Jaina Solo *
- Tenel Ka *
- I-Five *
- Feris Olin
- Borsk Fey'lya *
- Cilghal *
- Jax Pavan

GOOD EXPANDED UNIVERSE CHARACTERS:
- Bria Tharen
- Nom Anor *
- Garm Bel-Iblis *
- Blue Max & Bollux
- Lumiya *
- Jacen Solo *
- Jagged Fel *
- Ben Skywalker *
- Jodo Kast *
- "Piggy" Voort saBinring *
- Anakin Solo *
- Prince Isolder *
- Lowbacca *
- Daala *
- Siri Tachi
- Kal Skirata
- Iella Wessiri-Antilles *
- Saba Sebatyne *

BAD EXPANDED UNIVERSE CHARACTERS:
- Waru *
- any Ssi-Ruuk *
- Abeloth *
- most Yuuhzan Vong *
- Darth Cadeus *
- Thracken Sal-Solo *
- Jerec *
- Kueller *
- any Yevetha *
- Clone Emperor *
- Jorus C'baoth (with or without the extra 'U') *
- Brakiss *
- Callista *
- Warlord Zsinj *
- Starkiller

El Chuxter
11-18-2013, 11:14 PM
You left off Teek, Ikrit, and Jaxxon. Episode VII will automatically fail without them. Preferably killing Callista by feeding her to Waru (who then has to go and dies on his way to his home planet).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I thought about Teek (but being in an Ewoks movie made him only semi-EU), and was torn about Jaxxon (I didn't want the server to explode with all the support for him). Ikrit; would've had to create a category of AVERAGE CHARACTERS for him.

El Chuxter
11-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Four words: pink bunny Jedi Master.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Didn't he die, anyway? You know that SW never brings back dead characters, just like in comic books.

El Chuxter
11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Except Boba Fett.

And Dengar.

And K'Krukh.

And Palpatine.

Ah, jeez, just forget it.

JimJamBonds
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Jar Jar Binks, Teek.

Tycho
12-11-2013, 04:25 AM
The Thrawn Series is the only thing I hope they don't discount. After that, I'm okay with it all. Not that i hated the EU, quite the opposite, just it will be hard for them to tell any story at all if the story takes place in between what EU has been written and what Eu is too be written.

Jaina Solo was born in the Thrawn Series (HTTE). She's definitely being cast by everything I'm hearing.

Han Solo's daughter...(and Leia's the obvious mom).

Jacen should be dead to not rehash any books leaving us with no surprises. They either don't have to mention him or note that she's scarred from doing her duty as a Jedi and killing her own brother.

FROM BEL-CAM JOS' LIST:

Who I think we'll see in Episode 7

- Jaina Solo - DEFINITELY
- Tenel Ka * - possibly, especially since she's Allanah Solo's mother and Allanah's descendant Ania Solo has her own comic series
- Borsk Fey'lya *
- Cilghal *
- Corran Horn * - would be a good inclusion
- Jagged Fel * - PROBABLY
- Ben Skywalker * - DEFINITELY
- Lowbacca * - maybe
- Iella Wessiri-Antilles *
- Saba Sebatyne * - maybe
- Darth Cadeus * - Possibly for a brief duel at the start when Jaina kills her brother

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Jaina Solo was born in the Thrawn Series (HTTE). She's definitely being cast by everything I'm hearing.

What are you hearing? Everything is just a rumor at this point, actors are still being cast, and when anything is concrete, they'll announce it.

El Chuxter
12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
A bunch of sites have cited an article supposedly in the Los Angeles Guardian, who has no article whatsoever about Star Wars in their archives recently. There is a (frankly, poorly-written) article in the LAS VEGAS Guardian Express, an online publication made up entirely of user-contributed material, that seems to combine the original Variety article from September (where "origin" movies were brought up) and a casting call description for a character who's "Han Solo, but younger" (because they're going to make that particular role public and not just work from a short list, right?) with a lot of wishful thinking and says this is fact. That, so far as I can tell, is what the overly excitable Star Wars fan community is basing this on. (Not you, Tycho--I'm referring to the sites whose job it is to report things, and are too concerned with getting a scoop to do a minimal amount of fact-checking.)

Hopefully my pointing this out here doesn't get my post deleted the way a certain FB page deleted my response to them reporting it as fact, but there's no reason yet to get excited or scream that Star Wars is RUINED FOREVER!!!!1!!! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2014, 07:38 PM
As far as returning characters go, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford (http://clubjade.net/?p=58074) have all been spotted in London over the past week, where filming is set to commence shortly. Peter Serafinowicz, the voice of Darth Maul, "outed" Hamill today by posting a photo with him on Twitter. At this point, LFL/Disney refusing to confirm their return is just silly. :p

Darth Metalmute
05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
While it's not officially confirmed, it looks like Mara Jade has made the cut and will appear in Episode 7.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-09-2014, 02:13 PM
While it's not officially confirmed, it looks like Mara Jade has made the cut and will appear in Episode 7.

Say whaaa? Where are you seeing this? The only similar thing I see is this Furious Fanboys speculative list (http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/5-things-from-the-expanded-universe-that-could-show-up-in-the-sequel-trilogy/) of EU elements that ostensibly could show up in the sequels, but it's just a discussion on their part.

Darth Metalmute
05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
I saw it on yahoo's front page in an article about Disney green lighting 3 spinoff movies. It talked about how Abrams has a clean slate but would likely use Mara Jade.

I also read a rumor that Mara will appear at some point in "Rebels", but I'll believe that when I see it. (That one appears to be about 5 months old.)

Tycho
05-10-2014, 11:10 PM
OK, I love Mara Jade.

But the character is iconic as she appeared in HTTE (Thrawn Trilogy) in her 20's. She is 1-2 years younger (or older) than Luke - depending upon sources.

If you recollect in Clone Wars, Mustafar - before Obi-Wan fought Darth Vader there - was also a secret facility that Cad Bane brought Force-sensitive children to.

It was not the only facility. Palpatine wanted Dark Side Force users to be at his beckon. No doubt Mara was one of them, her being about the same age as when Luke was born.

This is fine if she appears in the between movies. - As her iconic 20-something self (as in Rebels and spin-off movies). Ian McDiarmid could reprise his role for the spin-off. And they could get Ewan McGreggor back. Or if it's close to ANH, have that new guy Van-something play Obi-Wan again.

In any event, Mara can be Luke's red-head son's mother (actor Gleeson, playing Luke's son / Jedi Apprentice with red hair who does not look like Mark Hamill), but please have Mara dead already.

It's a mistake to cast her first appearance as a 50 year old. Unless Ben Skywalker sees a hologram of his mother in her 20's...

I WANT THE EU ACKNOWLEDGED FOR SURE!

Yes, Mara is Luke's wife and formerly the Emperor's Hand, and Ben Skywalker's mother. No she does not need to be in E7. She can be dead already.

Between movie please!

EU I want:

Luke's son named Ben.

Jaina Solo

Top of my list ^^^

The core concepts of the EU would be smart for JJ to embrace. I never never never said re-tell any of those stories. Just say the good ones happened.

Unfortunately, Chewie is somehow still alive. But if the movie is 30 years after ANH, Chewie could be alive.

He died 35 years after ANH. or 31 years after ROTJ.

It does not interfere with the EU at all! - and some of you should read that sentence a couple of times <<<<<

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-11-2014, 01:37 AM
I saw it on yahoo's front page in an article about Disney green lighting 3 spinoff movies. It talked about how Abrams has a clean slate but would likely use Mara Jade.

I also read a rumor that Mara will appear at some point in "Rebels", but I'll believe that when I see it. (That one appears to be about 5 months old.)

Yahoo News isn't a very strong source, or at least isn't likely to have information that other outlets wouldn't. Mara Jade is just the most well-known EU character and one of the most significant, so if Lucasfilm is going to use at least elements of any EU character, it could be her (or Thrawn, who already seems to have given some character traits to the Inquisitor). So speculation is going to focus on characters like her. If they're going to adapt any of her stories, I wouldn't mind seeing her Emperor's Hand days portrayed somewhere, but if they bring her into Episode VII (unlikely but possible) then they'll have to explain why Jedi can marry now.

Unfortunately, Chewie is somehow still alive. But if the movie is 30 years after ANH, Chewie could be alive.

He died 35 years after ANH. or 31 years after ROTJ.

It does not interfere with the EU at all! - and some of you should read that sentence a couple of times <<<<<
Nope, Vector Prime takes place 25 years after ANH, or 21 after ROTJ. Episode VII takes place around 34-39 years after ANH, based on what we've heard ("around 30 years after ROTJ" coming from the press release, around "35 years later" coming from Alan Horn's offhand comments). So Chewie's already at least nine years past his EU expiration date.

Tycho
05-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Whoops. I'm wrong then. Goofed on Chewie's expiration date. You are correct.

As to Jedi marrying?

In the EU, Luke changed that. First because he didn't know a lot about KOTOR and he was a lonely character that yearned for Cammie, then Leia (before he knew) - and then a handful of women in the EU and it didn't work out until Mara.

The no marrying part, does not mean even the Old Republic Jedi did not have sex out of wedlock. Offspring were always possible - hence some rumors that Obi-Wan has descendants. Obviously, even in "cannon," he was with Duchess Satine - and leave the details of this discussion alone. [I support naturalism and not repressed religious values creating some kind of "how certain people want a child-sanitized SW to appeal to their agenda or deficiencies."]

But that leaves us with the possibility that Mara is Luke's son's mother (hopefully named Ben) - and Ben is Luke's apprentice [I'd like this]

and Mara (the mother with her history intact) is or is not Luke's wife.

I'd prefer all the above, but she be dead, KIA. Bring her back in the movies for a debut in her 20's. We've had old Aunt Beru and seen Jocasta Nu in battle now (in CW, but as a changeling - not really her).

While old ladies can be cool (Mon Mothma), let's just not debut Mara Jade in the movies this way!

But yes, I want it stated that Ben's mother's name was Mara and Luke misses her.

One last thing, if Chewie never died, then at least NJO never happened (if they're cherry-picking EU).

Thus the Thrawn Trilogy could be loosely considered "as having happened," and NJO did not. Disappointing actually since I loved NJO.

But that still leaves Han's daughter as Jaina Solo (Daisy Ridley) either way.

But Ben Skywalker was born during NJO. Though again, it still makes sense that Luke might name his son Ben.

He knew Obi-Wan as Ben.

Now he could name his kid Luke, Jr.

or Luuke Skywalker.

And I've always been a fan of Bartholomew Skywalker, or Herbert Skywalker, Horace Skywalker, Mustafa Skywalker, Egbert Skywalker, Snuffalluf***us Skywalker, Bubba Skywalker....there are a handful of good names to choose from in case EU-haters absolutely abhor the name Ben Skywalker because it makes absolutely no sense to them.

Darth Metalmute
05-11-2014, 04:18 PM
f they're going to adapt any of her stories, I wouldn't mind seeing her Emperor's Hand days portrayed somewhere, but if they bring her into Episode VII (unlikely but possible) then they'll have to explain why Jedi can marry now.

Technically, they don't have to explain anything. That's the benefit of having Episode 7 take place thirty years after ROTJ and 50 years after the "Jedi can't marry rule" was last relevant. I'm sure after the Jedi were killed off, that rule would have been demolished in order to re-establish a "race" in the thirty years between ROTJ and EP7; especially considering the sequel trilogy will focus on Luke and Leia's children, which would have already been born, breaking that rule. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the history books explained that the downfall of the Republic was largely in part a result of "forbidden love". Also, they are going to fill in the 30 years between the time with novels to solve any inaccuracies between the trilogies.

And I've always been a fan of Bartholomew Skywalker, or Herbert Skywalker, Horace Skywalker, Mustafa Skywalker, Egbert Skywalker, Snuffalluf***us Skywalker, Bubba Skywalker....there are a handful of good names to choose from in case EU-haters absolutely abhor the name Ben Skywalker because it makes absolutely no sense to them.

What about Homer Skywalker or Mickey Skywalker? Flynn Skywalker? Olaf?

Tycho
05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
That's it, Metalmute!

For those EU haters that don't want to see any remnant of a part of fandom they could not personally embrace.

We've named Luke's son just for them:

Homer-Olaf-Skywalker!

It's perfect and can just barely fit across the coffin blister on a Hasbro figure card bubble.

Not only that, in the movie, they can call him by his initials: H.O.S. - pronounced "Hoss!"

"There was nothing you could have done, had you been there, Hoss."

"Get back to the ship, Hoss!"

"Use the Force, Hoss."

Man, I can now throw away 20-some years of SW comic and book collecting because Star Wars is rebooting the EU and given us The Hoss!

"No Hoss. I am your father!"

"They call me Hoss! I'm here to rescue you!"

"Give yourself to the Dark Side, Hoss."

Yes, EU-Haters, have we ever uncovered the character for you.

And let's rename Han Solo's daughter while we're at it:

Bronwynn Solo

This is a real girl's name. Bronwynn. I looked it up.

So we have BRONWYNN SOLO - that's complete B.S.

El Chuxter
05-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Evidently not Wedge. :(

What troubles me isn't the ditching of the EU (at least not entirely). It's the utter failure to learn from what worked in the EU and didn't. Old Luke and Leia worked in the books because they aged differently from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Boba Fett is garbage when you try to expand on him. And, most importantly, Wedge is a far more interesting character post-ROTJ because he doesn't have much baggage from the films. Denis Lawson told reporters he was asked to return but didn't because the role as proposed doesn't expand upon the character. So, yeah, what's the point?

Every bit of news about this new "Star Wars" trilogy makes me more and more indifferent toward it. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd take the time to see it at a bargain matinee. I hope they can change my mind, but I'm not sure how.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Evidently not Wedge. :(

What troubles me isn't the ditching of the EU (at least not entirely). It's the utter failure to learn from what worked in the EU and didn't. Old Luke and Leia worked in the books because they aged differently from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Boba Fett is garbage when you try to expand on him. And, most importantly, Wedge is a far more interesting character post-ROTJ because he doesn't have much baggage from the films. Denis Lawson told reporters he was asked to return but didn't because the role as proposed doesn't expand upon the character. So, yeah, what's the point?

Every bit of news about this new "Star Wars" trilogy makes me more and more indifferent toward it. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd take the time to see it at a bargain matinee. I hope they can change my mind, but I'm not sure how.

Wedge was never a main character in the films, so why should that start now? For all we know, the new film was going to have Wedge piloting in a battle like in the EU and Lawson just didn't want to do that again. (Or they could have dramatized one of his three :rolleyes: retirements.) Since they did have a role for him, I have to wonder if they'll recast or just cut the character entirely. It's still possible that he'll appear in VIII or IX, though. And I don't see how there's been an "utter failure" to learn from the EU when we know nothing about the content of the film.

Though I love that one of people's complaints about the prequels was that there were too many OT characters. Now they're complaining that there aren't ENOUGH OT characters in the sequels. :p

Technically, they don't have to explain anything. That's the benefit of having Episode 7 take place thirty years after ROTJ and 50 years after the "Jedi can't marry rule" was last relevant. I'm sure after the Jedi were killed off, that rule would have been demolished in order to re-establish a "race" in the thirty years between ROTJ and EP7; especially considering the sequel trilogy will focus on Luke and Leia's children, which would have already been born, breaking that rule. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the history books explained that the downfall of the Republic was largely in part a result of "forbidden love". Also, they are going to fill in the 30 years between the time with novels to solve any inaccuracies between the trilogies.

It's been a while since the rule was relevant, but it was pretty darn relevant – it led to the end of the Jedi Order! Even in the OT, Obi-Wan and Yoda seem pretty against attachment, urging Luke to complete his training and let his friends die. They could just offhandedly mention how Luke's Jedi Order is different from the old one, how it's more focused on selfless compassion since that's what brought Anakin back, or something. I don't think Luke and Leia are going to repopulate the Order by themselves – then it'd just be a bunch of Skywalkers and nobody else. Children are still going to be born with Force abilities (Star Wars Rebels is showing this with Ezra) and it will likely be Luke's job to seek them out. And it's not been confirmed that the series will focus on their children – it's looking likely that Han and Leia have a daughter based on the casting, but that speculation is really all we have to go off of for now.

Darth Metalmute
05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
30 years into the future mostly means that Luke has already sought out new Jedi. Which makes throwing out the post ROTJ EU an odd choice. They are just going to have to go back and fill in the blanks which were previously filled in, which they will. I understand the freedom and the clean slate needed for new movies, but honestly, what restrictions would they have had? Number of children and names of characters? Is it really that hard to incorporate to? I can see throwing out the entire Vong saga to bring back Chewie, and some of the bad novels, but for the most part it seems like a marketing ploy.

Off topic but I wonder where this EU/Clean Slate leaves stories like Shadows of the Empire?
It's unlikely they do anything in the half of year between ESB and ROTJ. Unless they do, it doesn't make sense to junk it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
30 years into the future mostly means that Luke has already sought out new Jedi. Which makes throwing out the post ROTJ EU an odd choice. They are just going to have to go back and fill in the blanks which were previously filled in, which they will. I understand the freedom and the clean slate needed for new movies, but honestly, what restrictions would they have had? Number of children and names of characters? Is it really that hard to incorporate to? I can see throwing out the entire Vong saga to bring back Chewie, and some of the bad novels, but for the most part it seems like a marketing ploy.

Off topic but I wonder where this EU/Clean Slate leaves stories like Shadows of the Empire?
It's unlikely they do anything in the half of year between ESB and ROTJ. Unless they do, it doesn't make sense to junk it.

In practice, it's really not that different from how it's always been – the EU story is the story unless a movie or TV show says otherwise. I mean, until LFL rewrites the history between ESB and ROTJ, there's nothing that says SOTE can't be what happened. They might adapt it into a movie or cartoon or they might rewrite it to better fit the new continuity or they might leave it alone altogether. And EU elements can still get adapted or adopted into the movie canon, just like it's always been; George has always seen the EU as entirely separate from his films and TV show, allowing it to pretty much do whatever, but he still brought some elements to his canon and ignored others, from ESB ignoring Splinter of the Mind's Eye to TCW altering characters' fates from the comics and novels. The EU fans treated the EU as gospel, but this "new" initiative sounds an awful lot like the old one.

JimJamBonds
05-13-2014, 07:18 PM
When I heard about Wedge not coming back my first thought was...ohh yeah Wedge. Then I thought "meh" he won't be in the films, no big deal either way.

El Chuxter
05-13-2014, 08:40 PM
JJL, you kinda echoed what Lawson said. He said he was willing to return, but the role as presented to him showed no growth in the character, so it probably was "flies a spaceship" or "sits in a meeting."

My point is that they have about forty years of EU that, even if they're not following anymore, they can look to as a guide to see what works and what doesn't. Focusing the spotlight on Wedge, a character who people like but who isn't developed at all in the films, is something that definitely works. But not in Episodes VII-IX, apparently.

Tycho
05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree with Darth Metalmute. - also about SOTE, too.

That being said, does Luke have some cool Jedi in the EU that he's trained who are unrelated? (oops, I included his son and wife in the list and added this line after I wrote it)

Kyle Katarn (not really trained by Luke)
Corran Horn
Kam Solasar
Tionne
Sabo(?) the Barrabel (I think her children are born by this time too)
Lowbacca, Chewie's nephew
Tenel Ka (Jacen Solo's wife late in the EU)
Allanah Solo (Jacen Solo's daughter - Han and Leia's grand-daughter - before she's even born at 30 years or 35 years post ROTJ)
Kyp Durron - very important player and Han Solo's friend
Mara Skywalker (almost goes without saying - especially if Luke has a son)
Ben Skywalker (Luke's son)
Zekk - one time sort-of Jaina Solo boyfriend, friend of Jacen's, Tenel's, and Lowbacca's too (most likely to go Dark Side)

There's the Bespin gas miner - forgot his name for the moment
Kirana Ti (spelling - Dathomir Witch)

Some are interesting, some are not. Overwhelmingly human cast. They can discard many of these characters and NOT say they don't exist - they just don't need to be seen. So maybe they're off somewhere else? Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces even starts during the OT and crosses into video games just like SOTE does.

I did not list most of the NJO Jedi, post start of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion - they were either less remarkable, or the story focused on the OT main cast and the main post-Jedi EU Jedi listed above.