PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart empolyees

Jedibill
03-10-2002, 03:53 AM
I just found all 4 preview figures at wal-mart in gastonia they had about 4 cases of them theres 3 of each figure in every case and get this my brother inlaw was going too buy a set of them so he opened a case of figures that was sitting on a pallet and was made too put them back by a empolyee of wal-mart saying that it was a safety hazard for him too take things off of pallets ,what a bunch of crap ,the pallet sitting in the isle is the hazard and hes not even a colletor was just buying them for his kid can you belive that.any way i got 2 of each and ran.

LTBasker
03-10-2002, 04:20 AM
Yeah most definitely the pallet itself was the hazard, considering how little kids like to play on those sorts of things. Not too mention the figures shouldn't of even been out, I would've just taken the figures because if the employee had reported it to the manager he would've also gotten in trouble for not putting the figures back before anyone grabbed them since it's before the street date.

Obi-Don
03-10-2002, 06:55 AM
Heck, some of the worker are saftey hazard. They leave those pallets everywhere. You can hardly get where you want to go because of them.

I would have said sorry and taken the anyway. LT. is right. Besides, by the time they found the manager you would have paid and gone.

2-1B
03-10-2002, 12:54 PM
"Smile on every aisle" my a - - ! ! ! ! ! :sur:

Jedibill
03-10-2002, 01:15 PM
we called a manager last nite too complain about this and was told that if you see something on a pallet you won't that employees have too get it for you and open it so you can get it.

InsaneJediGirl
03-10-2002, 01:36 PM
The workers are too lazy.Even the people I know that work at
WM say the same thing.Just rip whatever you want off a pallet
and go,its their falut for not stocking.

El Chuxter
03-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Open those cases at Wal-Mart! Just wait until they're not looking. :) I learned this once after asking several times for employees to check a box of what was clearly SW figs a few months ago. After getting all manner of excuses, I just cracked it open with my key. Voila! The only time I ever found the dirty Scout Trooper.

Seriously, anywhere else I'd probably ask an employee, but with the crappy service at W-M, you'll never get 'em.

2-1B
03-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Yeah, the only thing they can do is yell at you. In the past, some employees encouraged me to go ahead and root through the cases, but others have snipped at me, saying they have to open it for me :rolleyes: So from then on, if I went to my local WM store and found new cases, I made sure to ask the regular toy worker to open them so that she wouldn't start hiding them on me in the future.

But if I hit a store in the surrounding area, a store that I visit infrequently, I have no hesitation to crack the cases and start shopping.

I always loved it when they would actually let me stock the figs for them, 'cause then I could score the empty boxes for storage :D

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 05:01 PM
This is not in defence, this is not an excuse, and I do not wish to be attacked for this. This is mearly a possible explination.
I work for Wal-Mart. Its a job, it pays my bills and to be honest its one of the better companies I've worked for. Here's a reason for that employe getting snippy with you Jedibill.

First off as an ex-empolyee of the toy dept(and kinda, sorta, i'm back now as a bike manager) I know what it was like during TPM release. We have some very nasty, rude, vile, smelly toy scalpers in my area. It is a REAL CHORE to deal with this type of person. I knew most of them b/c of my job and would not associate with any of them outside of work. I did it b/c I had to. So this person may have already had a nasty run in with one of these money-hungry-toy-mongers and you may have caught them at a bad moment.

As far as the pallet goes. It is concidered a saftey hazard for a customer to go rooting through a pallet. If it is not stacked properly, if there is a weak board on the pallet, or even if you slip off the edge of the pallet and crack your head on the display next to it, spurting blood all over the place, WM is liable for all of it. Everytime someone is hurt at WM it costs $5000 on the adverage, sometimes more. All those injury costs take of the bottom line. If we have too many accidents, we lost money, we will be forced to jack up the prices to compensate, and then we would all really be b****in! So the person who told you not to root through the pallet was covering WM butt. If it was me, I would have gone over and opened the case for you and let you pick what you wanted, but I am a collector too and I would expect the same.

Once again I do not wish to be attacked for this post. I am just giving some hypothetical reasons why what happened, happened. I'm sorry you had such a bad experiance. :(

2-1B
03-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Good points Dar' Argol, I know where you're coming from on the safety hazard thing. :)

I onced worked for TRU, and it was the same deal - nobody wants a lawsuit ;)

I had fun with most collectors though, I remember breaking out the '97 wave of Hoth Luke, Hoth Solder, Bossk, and 2-1B :happy: :happy: :happy:

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Oh, I have no problem with COLLECTORS. Its the MHTM I can't stand. Collectoers are some of the nicest people in the world. They do it for the love of the movie/figures/characters. MHTM do it for the $. Most of the MHTM I know don't even like SW, but they will drop $100-$200 on figs and stuff b/c they know they can turn a quick buck. The only time I sell stuff is if I have no room for it, or I don't like it anymore. Even then, I only look to get what I paid for it. If someone wants to offer me more, well, that's their deal. If its too much though I refuse to sell. I can accept a bit over what I paid but you get around double what I paid and I have a problem.

Jedibill
03-10-2002, 09:18 PM
remember it was my brother in-law who had the figures and was jumped on HE ONLY HAD 1 OF EACH thats 4 in all ,hardly singles him out as a collector,it was bull crap all the way.

Jedibill
03-10-2002, 09:21 PM
and another thing he already had the figures was almost in the sport section when the WAL-MART EMPLOYEE stopped him and took them from him,was trying too grab them out of his hand.that guy almost got his butt kicked and may still yet.

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Well, that's not right. Those figs are not part of the April 23 release and therefor should be on the shelves. The only thing I can suggest besides talking directly to the store manager(and make sure its the store manager, not a Assistant manager, if you give me the store location I can get you the name of the manager tomorrow) is to call 1-800-WALMART and complain. That's really all you can do. Sorry:(

SirSteve
03-10-2002, 09:54 PM
And if it was me, I would say, "ok, here are the figures back" turned around and "tripped" over the pallet and start yelling bloody murder!

;)

LTBasker
03-11-2002, 02:22 AM
If it was me, I'd grab a couple POTJ figures so they'd "blend in" and then when an employee isn't watching, put the regular figures back if ya don't need'em after you're done shopping then hurry to the check-out.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Its the MHTM I can't stand.

MHTM = ?

Money Hungry Toy Mongers?
Many Happy Tata Massagers?
My Hairy Terrier's Mother?
Mister Happy's Third Master?

icatch9
03-11-2002, 12:46 PM
I too have had my fair share of run ins with WM employees. I donít hate WM people because some are nice. One guy helped me look through 15 boxes of TPM figs to find a Red Queen (no luck though). That was the first and last kind act of a WM employee. Plus, the oneís I have had encountered have been kind of scary.

My dad collects Hot Wheels and these are the boxes that have gotten me in trouble. I have actually never gotten caught with a Star Wars box. Anyway one WM employee who worked in electrons took the box and put it behind the electronics counter. Man I was furious. I talked to the Asst Manager and she was going to open it for me, but the dude said the store manger told him to hold all hot wheels boxes. I still didnít get a straight answer. I didnít care about the damn treasure hunter; I just wanted to new ones that are worth the buck I pay for them.

I am glad to know about the safety hazard thing. So thanks for that info, but the nasty rude employees have got to go. I have found a good way to by pass the employees. See you have to wait until no one is looking. You need a cart too. See most collectors or MHTM donít get carts, so you look like another shopper. Then you snag the box, put it in the cart and high tail it to another department. This worked for me with a couple of hot wheels boxes and 3 boxes of Zuttonís and Eethís (I just bought the one set for me and another one of each for my diorama).

Deoxyribonucleic
03-11-2002, 01:35 PM
We all should file a class-action lawsuit against Wal-Mart under the 1st Amendment for false advertising. hehe You know, how they show on their commercials how wonderful and smiley and happy their employees are! Uhuh RIIIGGGHHHT.

I am a very mellow relaxed person and 99 percent of the time very happy and nice to all and I know that if I HAD to work at Wal-Mart, I would probably be in prison for murder! lol The peeps who work there have to deal with such crap that they become bitter and angry (not that this is right) and that's my theory on why they pick on people and having to deal with the stupid scalpers only enhances their bitterness and anger so they see us wandering around innocently just looking for 1 or 2 figures and they jump all over us, you see becauses to them Star Wars and everything it stands for is the Devil, it causes them grief and pain and they dream about it at night, every night....little figure heads going round and round in their head, bad-tempered scalpers pestering them over and over and over again until they can't take it anylonger and they SNAP and we just happen to be there at the time.

I feel for both parties!

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

master jedi
03-11-2002, 02:18 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Most, if not all, Wal-Mart workers suck.

One time after they moved stuff around I asked a worker there were the Star Wars stuff was. He said that he didn't know what star wars was and that he didn't know if they had any star wars stuff.

And at midnight on Oct.16 (2001) I was going in to get TPM on DVD. I get there a few minutes early when they were setting them out. They wouldn't even let me touch the DVD until midnight. Also over the intercom speakers they were saying they were going to close all registers for 15 minutes starting at midnight.

JetsAndHeels
03-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Although WM is a huge financial giant in our world today, I have often heard that it was a better company when Sam Walton was still living.
I believe that.

Jedibill
03-11-2002, 04:36 PM
wow even though i got my 2 sets of figures,i'm am still 2 days later mad as heck at those Wal-Mart employees.also even though my brother in-law tried too get a set for his kid and had them taken out of his hands it all worked out i went too Toys R us and got them Obi Wan for there X-box they are more then happy.

Jedibill
03-11-2002, 04:43 PM
and another thing the 2 managers we talked too at the GASTONIA NC wal-mart said they have been having probloms with colletors buying them and selling them at the local flea market,i thought that was funny because im a collector and if i sold them i would not be.ok maybe they ment scalper but also when we left that store saturday nite there were at least 4 ful cases still on pallet i checked next day and nothing was on the shelf what happed too them.my guess is that the store employees are holding them for friends or so they can sell them there self at flea market or maybe Ebay.and why do they even care what happens too figures they should just be glad someone wonts too buy them.unlike a lot of toys that just site and collect dust.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 05:17 PM
What really bugs me is when you ask them to look in the back for new stuff and they just say, "Oh, we don't have any more." If they don't want to get them or just can't why can't they just be honest and say that they aren't allowed to bring out any new stuff. Like I fell off the Hasbro truck yesterday...:dead:

jonthejedi
03-11-2002, 08:27 PM
It's more of a headache than anything finding figures in my Md. area. I found out too late Sat. the sneak preview figures hit. I drove to no less than 3 Wal*Marts and only scored R3T7. One is particular has 2 employess(brothers, yet) that cherry pick the hot ones(bounty hunters, Imperial dudes, whatever) before they hit the pegs. The dept. head denies this is happening...but I'm like, c,mon...can't you order more. No new figures for months and you open 1 box. Collectors have a bad rep in the local area, too. They think we're all scalpers, not lovers of Star Wars who actually take them home, display them, whatever. Gosh, I've taken to ordering more on the Internet. Just so frustrated!
jonthejedi

Jedibill
03-12-2002, 04:45 AM
ordering off the net is something im starting too do alot more ,its less trouble and you don't get jump on because you wont a action figure,too bad hasbro does not have a site for ordering i would bypass all deptment stores.but i have been ordering from a few of the sites on this site checking them out so far so good.

Jedibill
03-12-2002, 05:52 AM
if wal-mart does not like scalpers because they buy items from them and sell them at a higher price thats crazy because they do same thing right,they buy from hasbro at a low price then sell to us at a higher price.

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 07:02 AM
Yeah but they don't do it to deprive others...believe it or not. ;)

I'm sure the people that work there that are pains expect other people elsewhere to do their job right when they need help, so why can't they do their job right when another needs help? It's kinda sad, you so those "happy happy" wal-mart commercials then you go to a wal-mart and think you're just gonna get in and get out with no trouble, you go there, and you leave with a temper. :stupid:

InsaneJediGirl
03-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Orginally posted by jonthejedi
The dept. head denies this is happening...but I'm like, c,mon...can't you order more. No new figures for months and you open 1 box. Collectors have a bad rep in the local area, too. They think we're all scalpers, not lovers of Star Wars who actually take them home, display them, whatever. Gosh, I've taken to ordering more on the Internet. Just so frustrated!

It is like that here,jonthejedi.I know most of my local WM people,
however,I think some of the them have caught on to removing
some figures out of the cases before they hit the shelves.

About the only other thing you could do is go to TRU or Target.
A few people at TRU have been very helpful to me,however,you
have to pay a bit more for the figures because they wont match
prices like WM.You have to have the ad.

Dar' Argol
03-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Although WM is a huge financial giant in our world today, I have often heard that it was a better company when Sam Walton was still living.
I believe that.

Its true, the company WAS a lot better b/4 Sam Walton died. He would visit each and every one of his stores at least once every 2 years. He would sit down and talk to the employees. He even worked as a people greeter in a few of the stores for a day. But since his death, and his kids took over, all they care about is money. They still instil his 5 basic beleifs in all new employees, but not with the same vigor:(

Originally posted by Jedibill
if wal-mart does not like scalpers because they buy items from them and sell them at a higher price thats crazy because they do same thing right,they buy from hasbro at a low price then sell to us at a higher price.

This is true. We do buy it at cost and resell it at a higher price, but that's how buisness works. If you had a buisness and purchased figures from Hasbro(paying for it out of your own pocket) at $4.99 a fig, are you going to sell it for that much? No, b/c if its a peg warmer, you'll want to get rid of it. Meaning you'll have to mark it down. If you go below $4.99, then you are throwing away your money, you will not be able to pay the rent on your building, pay for the electricity to light the building or anything else. You would not make a profit and your buisness would go under. On the other hand, where as buisnesses have a 15-30% mark up on items(depending on the item), a scalper will have a 100-300% mark up!!! So, instead of buy a fig at cost for $4.99 and selling it for $6.99, a scalper will buy a sought after fig for $6.99 and charge you between $20-$30 for it! So who would you rather buy from??

Originally posted by LTBasker
I'm sure the people that work there that are pains expect other people elsewhere to do their job right when they need help, so why can't they do their job right when another needs help? It's kinda sad, you so those "happy happy" wal-mart commercials then you go to a wal-mart and think you're just gonna get in and get out with no trouble, you go there, and you leave with a temper.

This is true, there are a lot of slackers in the company. The only problem is that either no management see's the slacking, or they are in good with some managment and abuse that, or the management in that store just don't care. Its a said thing but its not just exclusive to Wal-Mart. I have seen this in just about all the places I have worked for:(